3:Hunter x Hunter
4:Clannad
5: Gintama movie: Kanketsu hen
6: Gintama
7: Gintama: Enchousen
8: Ginga eiyuu densetsu
9: Gintama
10: Code geass

I am amazed that THAT is the top ten rankings. Obviously me asking "hey MAL do you guys agree?" i would think most would agree since obviously people on MAL ranked them there in the first place but I'm seriously interested to see if people do not agree with this list, because i sure as hell don't. Obviously people are going to prefer whatever it is they prefer. I personally think Death note should be in the top ten instead of at 27, but i can't help it if enough people don't feel the same way. But Gintama? Really? It takes up 4 spots for godsake. I mean i really enjoyed Gintama but it's lack of seriousness as a show, especially around its plot(since it is above all else a parody) never stuck with me, especially its jokes, most of which i did not get as it referenced so many things, not to mention Japanese humor( at least in anime) is not my favorite. The only one i have not seen is clannad & Hunter x Hunter i didn't like the animation & the fact the main characters are kids & i don't like old anime so ginga eiyuu is out for me(which i know is dumb not to watch old anime but i can't even watch rurouni kenshin anymore & that was one of my favorites).

anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody agrees that this list is garbage. Obviously many people find these shows to be the best & good for them but I'm interested to see how many people think this list is crap.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2014 9:51 PM

Jul 2012
do i agree with top 10 list? probably not fully, but to an extent, it's logical

do i think it's garbage? hell no

i still think we should group franchises in the top x lists :< having a million gintamas is really unsettling

about hxh: you do mean the art right? you can't judge the animation without even watching it. plus, it's about kids but the story gets really dark later on.
MayukaDec 17, 2014 9:54 PM
Dec 17, 2014 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
Ehhhhhhh it could be worse

FMA:Brotherhood among the rest, deserves to be on there though.
Dec 17, 2014 9:55 PM

Feb 2013
The top 10 is good enough for me, no real reason to care enough to the point of complaint from my end.
Aug 2014
It's not uncommon for questionable series to go up in ranks simply due to popularity and over-hype, but ones that make it quite that high on the ranks, especially when it's referring to a fanbase that is often very critical (sometimes overly critical) such as the anime fanbase, it's very unlikely anything close to complete rubbish would make it that high up.

Oct 2014
I wouldn't go as far as calling them rubbish, by the least. Plus, what's wrong with Gintama having 4 places in top 10? You said that you couldn't enjoy the joke, but some people like me could enjoy it. I actually think having 4 Gintama in top 10 isn't THAT bad it makes you need to question the rubbish-ness of top 10 MAL list.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 17, 2014 9:56 PM

Aug 2014
I will never understand what is it about Geas that many many fans like. Probably the "anti-hero"
Dec 17, 2014 9:59 PM

Sep 2014
I'm just gonna tell you the same thing I tell everyone else MAL rankings are jacked up beyond repair so why worry about it?
Dec 17, 2014 10:00 PM

Nov 2010
They're sufficient. I can see why for almost all of them someone might say they are their favorite anime and worth higher than a 9. There's no shows I would rate less than a 6 or 7 in there, so they're doing pretty good.
Dec 17, 2014 10:01 PM

Jul 2013
Well, some of them are valid, but the 4 Gintama is just ludicrous.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Dec 17, 2014 10:01 PM

Aug 2014
I disagree with all of them but Steins;Gate. But I do see the appeal for all of them.
Dec 17, 2014 10:02 PM

Jul 2012
RinArcher said:
And yes, I do question it, since most people here except JD don't even like Clannad that much and it sits on the top 3 of best anime ever on MAL.

Those people don't use the forums, probably.

Apr 2014
Well I have yet to see any gintama so I can't comment on half of the list. Aside from that, I don't think the list is garbage, but I don't really agree with it. I don't believe steins gate and fma brotherhood to be the best

Aug 2014
RinArcher said:
It's an indicator to what the majority thinks are good anime. It doesn't reflect your, or my taste OP.

And yes, I do question it, since most people here except JD don't even like Clannad that much and it sits on the top 3 of best anime ever on MAL.

Animes that have characters crying most of the time do well in terms of popularity
Dec 17, 2014 10:03 PM

Jun 2014
Fine by me. Rankings to me are irrelevant anyways.

Pretty interesting to note(Top 4 highest rated anime on IMBD) -- 9.0 rankings.

FMA B
Deathnote
Cowboy Bebop
Attack on Titan
Dec 17, 2014 10:05 PM

Sep 2013
Yes, no K-on makes this list rubbish and disgusting.
Dec 17, 2014 10:07 PM

Apr 2014
Should be more like:

1: FMA: Brotherhood
2: Hunter x Hunter
3: One Piece
4: Death Note
5: Fate/Zero
6: Ruroni Kenshin
7: Gintama
8: Code Geass
9: Higurashi
10. Monster

Jury out on Ginga eiyuu densetsu
Dec 17, 2014 10:10 PM

Nov 2014
I haven't watched a lot of them, but having 4 Gintama is ludicrous.

I mean, I would be very happy if Madoka made the top 10 list, but if the 3 movies and the series of Madoka made the top 10 list I would be pretty annoyed since there's more great anime than just Madoka (or Gintama in this case).

Then again, I recommend you to not trust MAL ratings. No Game No Life is WAYYY too high up on the list, and while I enjoyed the show, it does not deserve to be that high.

Dec 17, 2014 10:10 PM

Aug 2014
I don't agree with the list completely but FMA: B and HxH deserve their place.

The top 10 in overall essence is in no way shit or bad taste.
NoblePhantaZm said:
It's not uncommon for questionable series to go up in ranks simply due to popularity and over-hype, but ones that make it quite that high on the ranks, especially when it's referring to a fanbase that is often very critical (sometimes overly critical) such as the anime fanbase, it's very unlikely anything close to complete rubbish would make it that high up.

Took the words right out of my mouth, the hardcore otakus are critical to no end.
Dec 17, 2014 10:12 PM

Feb 2010
All things considered it's fairly reasonable and even though it's strongly biased towards mainstream and new shows it's much better than the top 10 most popular shows.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 17, 2014 10:18 PM

Dec 2013
The only one that doesn't belong there is Clannad.

Everything else is debatable.

The better question is where's Cowboy Bebop?
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Dec 17, 2014 10:19 PM

Nov 2014
too much Gintama
Dec 17, 2014 10:22 PM

Oct 2008
Don't want to sound like a broken record ,but having 4 Gintama entries in the same top 10 list pretty much makes you lose all credibility one list can have.
Besides that its fairly ok I guess,can easily see some titles are up there considering the reception and how universally well known they are.
Dec 17, 2014 10:24 PM

Jun 2014
Cakedog said:
The only one that doesn't belong there is Clannad.

Everything else is debatable.

The better question is where's Cowboy Bebop?

Bebop was great, along with Aria and Shinsekai Yori.

I'm biased, just ignore me.
Dec 17, 2014 10:29 PM

Jun 2013
They seem respectable. Could do without Clannad on there but w/e. As long as Brotherhood stays there.
Dec 17, 2014 10:30 PM

Dec 2013
HxH is the only show worthy of the Top 1, therefore this is a shitty Top.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't bother me much, i can see why Steins Gate and FMA:B hold such positions, even though i don't think they're that amazing.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 17, 2014 10:30 PM

Oct 2013
I think the list is totally fine. Sure, I would personally like it differently, but all of those shows do have their merits, and it makes sense why so many people would like these shows so much.
Dec 17, 2014 10:32 PM

Feb 2014
All rankings that are not mine are rubbish
Dec 17, 2014 10:34 PM

Jan 2010
I still haven't seen half of the top 10, but the only top 10 list I'd ever fully approve of is my own. For the purposes of generalizing the tastes of a community and creating discussions like this topic, MAL's top 10 is fine.
Dec 17, 2014 10:34 PM

Sep 2013
End of Evangelion and Texhnolyze should be in the top 5. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 17, 2014 10:35 PM

Jan 2008
Not enough Gintama. Though that should be fixed when the new OVA airs.
Dec 17, 2014 10:35 PM

Aug 2014
No they're ok.

Except for the shitstain Code Gayass R2 which is an annoyance.

And yeah I too think franchises should be grouped together. It's unfair for Gintama to take so many positions.
Dec 17, 2014 10:37 PM

Apr 2014
The list isn't that bad except for all the Gintamas. But for those who say Clannad doesn't belong there I would have to disagree based on the fact that it has more members who have voted for it. So if over 200k people rated it and it still remains in the top 10 then I'll say that's deserving of a top 10 spot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2014 10:39 PM
Nov 2013
I think the only problem is that they shouldn't split the anime in the rankings, just in the list (I don't know if this is possible though). Like, all those seasons of Code Geass, Fate, Mushishi, Gintama, Natsume... I think they should be one in the rankings, with the prequels and sequels linked inside.
Dec 17, 2014 10:40 PM

Jan 2013
Is it rubbish? Probably not.

Is it anywhere near to my top 10 list? Nope.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 2014
shit because there's no one piece

Jun 2014
Kolnikov said:
I think the only problem is that they shouldn't split the anime in the rankings, just in the list (I don't know if thisnis possible thoigh). Like, all those seasons of Code Geass, Fate, Mushishi, Gintama, Natsume... I think they should be one in the rankings, with the prequels and sequels linked inside.

It'd be an interesting top 50.

Mind seeing what the real top 50 would be if seasons or ovas were merged?
Dec 17, 2014 10:48 PM

Feb 2010
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Kolnikov said:
I think the only problem is that they shouldn't split the anime in the rankings, just in the list (I don't know if thisnis possible thoigh). Like, all those seasons of Code Geass, Fate, Mushishi, Gintama, Natsume... I think they should be one in the rankings, with the prequels and sequels linked inside.

I went through the top list 2 months ago and didn't count multiple entries. It's not perfect since some of them only appear as a movie or sequel and I just counted the highest ranked part of the franchise at the time, but it does summarize franchises at least.

http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=761813
Dec 17, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

I went through the top list 2 months ago and didn't count multiple entries. It's not perfect since some of them only appear as a movie or sequel and I just counted the highest ranked part of the franchise at the time, but it does summarize franchises at least.

That is a very convincing top 50. Love or hate them, that top 50 makes sense.
Dec 17, 2014 10:59 PM

Nov 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Although I haven't seen much so this might not be worth much, but based on what I've watched and what I've lurked (Trust me, I lurk A LOT), I definitely agree.

Dec 17, 2014 11:08 PM

Feb 2010
Extending it to top 100 makes it even more legitimate imo, but it could probably be summarized using a better formula. Not sure franchises should appear if only the 3rd sequel or recap movie ranks in the top 100 for example, and we might as well summarize Miyazaki/Ghibli Movies under one franchise as well ^^.

I do agree that this toplist is fairly solid though, the only thing I notice that it's still very baised towards newer shows. There are only a handful of shows from 95-99, and earlier than that only LOGH all the way down to Rose of Versailles at #93 if we don't count Ghibli movies. It's to be expected but still worth noting. Genre diversity is there, but age diversity not so much.

Aug 2014
AzureDaora said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Although I haven't seen much so this might not be worth much, but based on what I've watched and what I've lurked (Trust me, I lurk A LOT), I definitely agree.

It's a legit list of the best 50 out of the 10k-20k animes out there.

Nov 2012
Apart from Legend of Galactic heroes, these anime are all mega popular and easily accessible. It's not uncommon for any of them to be someone's gateway anime. In that sense, because they're pretty competent, you'll get anime newbies rating them a 10. But damn people seem to love their Gintama.
Dec 17, 2014 11:10 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:
do i agree with top 10 list? probably not fully, but to an extent, it's logical

do i think it's garbage? hell no

i still think we should group franchises in the top x lists :< having a million gintamas is really unsettling

about hxh: you do mean the art right? you can't judge the animation without even watching it. plus, it's about kids but the story gets really dark later on.

No, i watched 4 episodes(the first 4) & as well as the animation & the fact it's about kids put me off. I hear it is good but i couldn't get into it.
Dec 17, 2014 11:11 PM

Apr 2014
Anyway, didn't Steins;Gate kind of lose the plot by the end of it? Clannad is just too sappy and the ending is ridiculous. Other than those and the Gintama duplicates, it's pretty good.
Dec 17, 2014 11:13 PM

May 2013
Using rubbish was definitely a poor choice of words in hindsight. But i do not think it is a very good list. Gintama, i think, should really not be up there( at least not 4 positions) It was a good show but if a parody show makes a top ten, i think that's just wrong
Dec 17, 2014 11:16 PM

Nov 2012
sakura-hanabi said:
Why do people hate on popular animes just because they're popular? I'm pretty sure that any anime could be there and people will still find a way to hate it.

Nah this is a huge misconception. I would never hate something just because it's popular. I would hate something because it sucks, and it just so happens that many popular things suck. But, I love Cowboy Bebop. I love Evangelion. I like stuff like One Piece and Hunter x Hunter. I do hate Sword Art Online and No Game No Life though because they're both terrible shows.
Dec 17, 2014 11:20 PM

Dec 2013
Miraclezify said:
sakura-hanabi said:
Why do people hate on popular animes just because they're popular? I'm pretty sure that any anime could be there and people will still find a way to hate it.

Nah this is a huge misconception. I would never hate something just because it's popular. I would hate something because it sucks, and it just so happens that many popular things suck. But, I love Cowboy Bebop. I love Evangelion. I like stuff like One Piece and Hunter x Hunter. I do hate Sword Art Online and Insert Popular Show Here though because they're both terrible shows.
ftfy mate
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 17, 2014 11:22 PM

Nov 2012
PriestSlayer said:
Miraclezify said:

Nah this is a huge misconception. I would never hate something just because it's popular. I would hate something because it sucks, and it just so happens that many popular things suck. But, I love Cowboy Bebop. I love Evangelion. I like stuff like One Piece and Hunter x Hunter. I do hate Sword Art Online and Insert Popular Show Here though because they're both terrible shows.
ftfy mate

pls don't fix what's not broke
Dec 17, 2014 11:23 PM

Mar 2013
franchise support on top list is something which should be added but unfortunately never will be cause the admin of this site are lazzy sack of shit
Full time redditor and fedora owner, gg
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

30 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 13 minutes ago

3 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
7 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

54 by Horshu »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

272 by Vaturna »»
19 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

36 by animegamer245 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.