Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 19, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
Well, the resistance and YoRHa fighting together for a similar goal is something that I wasn't expecting. The threat here is still the machines so it fundamentally makes sense.

A lot of action this episode and it made that field look like a warzone. Crazy how much firepower the machines had in their arsenal. 2B struggled in this fight. However, I think this episode's overall psychological drama was done really well.
Jul 19, 8:00 AM

Feb 2020
Very nice action scenes this time. Again, I haven't played the game, but I'm truly enjoying this show.

SerafosJul 19, 8:20 AM
Jul 19, 9:17 AM

Feb 2019
Holy shit incredible episode that immaculately adapted one of the best parts and biggest turning points of the game! S/O A-1 and the staff for really nailing it. I remember a time when people on the Nier sub used to laugh at people asking for an anime saying it was impossible because of the way the story unfolds, but they’ve more than done this justice.

The cat’s finally out the bag with the knowledge that humanity’s been extinct for a long time due to the events of Nier replicant and the Drakengard E ending before. They’ve teased so much gestalt stuff, I want a replicant anime 😭 and the ED having a Drakengard Zero reference also gives me hope we’ll see that one day..

The androids fighting this incessant battle with a cycle of death and rebirth from backups is just really depressing to think about. All those missions and battles we’ve seen 2B and 9s go through, what did they even mean? They’re always fated to die after 9s discovers the truth. Yoko Taro has an amazing way of invoking philosophical themes in his writing.

The virus fight scene was so well done, 2B cooked! They also perfectly handled the black box scene with she and 9s. Almost cut for cut, wow. The tension you felt during that moment just praying those boxes would touch so they could wake up in the bunker and get help from command..

But no help’s coming because even command is taken over! 6O bugging out under the influence of the virus was horrifying, the commander having to take her out is so sad considering how close they are. But the twists weren’t done! The commander has it too 😭 I had to rewatch that last 2-3 mins a couple times because it was that damn good.

No back up coming, no command, just 2B and 9s fighting to make sense out of everything and survive now. I can’t wait to see what A-1 cook up in the next few eps and to see my baby A2
Marinate1016Jul 19, 10:41 AM
Jul 19, 9:44 AM

Jul 2017
Outstanding episode and besides the premeire for Monogatari Off & Monster season, my favorite of this season so far. The use of the excellent music from the game was great here, the atmosphere was really intense throughout and the anime continuing to sell the dangers and impact of the virus really well (especially knowing how ominous the start of the episode was with 2B/E explaining about the realities of the YoRHa force and their purpose and the extinction of humanity already taken place) and the last few minutes with the Commander and then even Operator 6O losing herself to the virus there felt like scenes that came directly out of the 86 anime in how it was directed and executed, which created a very nervy, psychologically traumatizing like effort that they are going for with the visuals and audio there. Even the shot of A2 there was great. Overall, the action was good but elevated a lot by the stakes at hand, the setting and the gloomy skies there, the continued brutality of seeing 2B nearly infected there due to the kiss with an infected 3B, the black box interaction with 2B and 9S with all the infected YoRHa members dogpiling to make sure they don't do it and then what takes place over the last few minutes of course with the Bunker exploding like that. The war effect at hand was really crazy and engaging to watch and the psychological elements came across well here. I was so immersed with this and even with the changes, additions and adjustments, I've been absolutely enjoying the hell out of this 2nd cour adaptation so far. Even more greatly than the first one. Those 20 minutes were exhausting to watch in a good way seeing everything just collapse.
Jul 19, 9:44 AM

Jul 2011
E type are literally build differently. Imagine just see your compatriot cut a dreadnought-size flying robot in half.

Screw the stuffy armor. Battledress for the win.

The Commander was victim of AI-generated fake news.

The machine lifeforms really were bothered about how Commander undress herself.

Makes me happy know that many liked 6O.
Jul 19, 10:05 AM

Dec 2019
Fucking peak right here. Fav episode this year besides the parents ep in Mushoku tensei. Ending felt nauseating to watch after what happened throughout the ep. Even the scenes with 2B explaining how she be killing 9S over and over and over again gives so much more depth to her relationship with 9S and how much hardship she's had to experience psychologically having to do that over and over again despite 9S wanting to always bond with her and treat her well emotionally, and how much those positive emotions 2B develop with 9S turn out to be even more painful constantly.
Jul 19, 10:10 AM
Jul 2024
Man, the psychological drama in this show continues to be intense. I guess that was it for the Command station, also. Series continues to fire on ALL cylinders!
Jul 19, 10:15 AM

Jan 2009
damn they are all dead rip commander and 6o

what will happen to 2b and 9s now

a2 spotted in the end too

and 2b knows the whole truth about humanity been long extinct because of a pandemic might be covid there
Jul 19, 10:41 AM

Mar 2020
The best episode of this series so far, but this really makes me lament all the production issues in cour 1, which continues to take away from my enjoyment here, with the disconnect due to all the delays. Utter destruction and despair, and despite me not having played the games, this is what I heard the game was all about, the sadness and psychological drama. This adaptation has improved drastically from cour 1 though in my opinion, a nauseating ending that played out very quickly. Shows how fast the virus can destroy everything.
Jul 19, 10:43 AM
Jun 2019
Reply to deg

and 2b knows the whole truth about humanity been long extinct because of a pandemic might be covid there
@deg Well the game came out long before covid, but ngl, that's the same thing that came to my mind. And I even played the game lmao
Jul 19, 10:46 AM

Sep 2017
Absolutely killed it with the adaptation here, this turning point hit just as hard as it did in the game, this whole season so far has been exceptional on that front, both can't wait and dreading what's to come!!
Jul 19, 10:49 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
This revelation about humanity sure hit hard the first time i saw it ingame. Imagine your creations still fighting the war even as the ones that they were protecting had long since perished. The pain of having to kill your partner that many times must had been extreme. Damm 2B's performance was damm impressive. NFC was kinda like burst mode huh. The unveiling of the bunkers takeover really was well done. The saddest part was facing what had been your friend until that point. Seeing the bunker be destroyed and 2B's grief at it really invoked the same feelings i felt when i saw it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
This was the part i was most worried about, the pass on to C from B. And that it could be very hard to show everything and for it to still make sense as anime only. But the turning point was done out fucking standingly by the studio. Same hype as when i played the game! (And the OST is also on an other level, hard to pick out parts for the anime but they are managing it pretty wel)
Jul 19, 11:26 AM

Dec 2016
I loved that they stopped the nines nonsense and returned to call him 9 S
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Jul 19, 11:56 AM
Oct 2020
Absolutely amazing episode. Where the hell was this level of pacing and animation for Season 1?! It annoys me how rushed season 1 was when they could've just postponed it till they had everything in order. Season 2 has been so outstanding. A2, your moment to shine is nearly here!
Jul 19, 11:58 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to luciojb
@luciojb You're happy they stopped calling 9S by his nickname?
Jul 19, 12:01 PM

Nov 2017
A big episode like in the game!
Jul 19, 12:02 PM
Oct 2020
So yeah there goes their base and every other YoRHa Soldiers. They're pretty screwed.

Also, humanity has been long gone and so are the aliens, so it's literally just Ai fighting Ai forever, but it seems the machine lifeforms have won. Honestly, though this is probably the future, humans will die out somehow but the Robots/Ai, etc will survive and keep going far after humanity has perished. Lets just hope the Robots we make look at least 25% as good as 2B
Jul 19, 12:14 PM
May 2021
Woww shitt, havent not finished the game this all new & woww what an ep! Excited to see what the story goes from now!
Jul 19, 12:20 PM

May 2020
The staff understood their assignment this time. Being the biggest twist this was, the direction was on point. I mean you can see the expression on commander's face when that same old deep voice voicing the commands turned out to be a fucking broken record specializing in manipulating these yorha androids with that textbook slogan, sigh. Genuinely felt for her.. and for 6O as well.

Route C now, and tbh I'm even more hyped now for things to come after this episode. Won't be an exaggeration to say A-1 knocked this one out of park.
Jul 19, 12:26 PM
May 2021
This episode was peak! 🔥🔥
Jul 19, 12:39 PM

May 2015
Solid action this time.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 19, 12:59 PM

Mar 2012
I still remember the hype when the credits for route C rolled in.

The animation team, after the hiccups of S1, has made a really good job (despite some dubious decisions like the council of humanity reveal, or the 2E thing so early) of adapting the prologue of route C and expanding it.

The special ending is something I also remember, since i got it without thinking just by trying to save every android.
Waifus only represent ideals
Jul 19, 1:03 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to deg

@deg The game came out long bedore Covid happenned, and the virus came long before Nier happenned since is something provoked by Drakengard's ending, with the original Nier sealing the end of humanity.
Jul 19, 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
I'm pleased with how the staff at A-1 Pictures have adapted the start of route C. They captured how things got very bleak and tough during this operation, where things were going from bad to worse for 2B and 9S. Seeing 2B showcasing how strong she is with her NFC mode was visually impressive, but in the end, the only way back to the bunker for her and 9S was with their black boxes.

Things only got more into the depths of despair once they got back to the bunker, where everyone stationed there was infected by the virus, including the commander herself, who held on until the last moment before revealing that truth to 2B and 9S before sending them on their way. It was a sad moment in seeing the bunker self-destruct. =(

It also felt fitting for A2 to appear once again at the end of the episode, as things were getting more bleak. With how great this episode was, I'm eagerly awaiting to see how the staff will adapt the next episode.
Jul 19, 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
@BEaSTPadwal15
@CorbanEsp

ah ok but im not referencing directly covid there i just thought covid since its a recent pandemic maybe i should have said covid-like pandemic instead of just covid
Jul 19, 2:40 PM

Jun 2017
HOLY SHIT! So no more respawns if they die now....

I haven't played the game so I have no idea how this will end, things doesn't look good for them at all.

Jul 19, 2:46 PM

Jul 2022
Everything went to hell in this episode. They revealed many things, such as 2B's true identity and the whereabouts of the humans. Now, only 2B, 9S, and A2 remain as the last YoRHa models.

I think with everything that's happening, 2B's dream of being with 9S will never come true ☹.
Jul 19, 3:59 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Narizor
Everything went to hell in this episode. They revealed many things, such as 2B's true identity and the whereabouts of the humans. Now, only 2B, 9S, and A2 remain as the last YoRHa models.

I think with everything that's happening, 2B's dream of being with 9S will never come true ☹.
@Narizor Well, in game 4S also was able to survive (like 9s he did not update his data)
Jul 19, 4:12 PM

Nov 2021
That episode was crazy. It feels like were on the season finale already even though were only on episode 3.
Jul 19, 5:14 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to CorbanEsp
@deg The game came out long bedore Covid happenned, and the virus came long before Nier happenned since is something provoked by Drakengard's ending, with the original Nier sealing the end of humanity.
@CorbanEsp It would be nice to get a Drakengard anime adaptation as well, although that game series is even more bleak than Nier and has far more detestable characters. I think the scumbag protagonists may turn off the audiences though, so probably it won't happen...
Jul 19, 5:42 PM
Aug 2021
Well that put a bookend to E1. Glad that plot line is moving ahead. Looks like a lot more fun now.
Jul 19, 5:49 PM
Apr 2021
that was one of the best episodes i've ever seen.
Jul 19, 6:00 PM
Jun 2023
As a game player, I LOVED how they handles the statt of Route C. Get really anime only’s- the rest of the show will be emotional but in the game some of the best story telling. I don’t think anyone is ready for whats coming next both anime only and game players.
Jul 19, 7:03 PM
Jun 2019
deg said:
@BEaSTPadwal15
@CorbanEsp

ah ok but im not referencing directly covid there i just thought covid since its a recent pandemic maybe i should have said covid-like pandemic instead of just covid

well, COVID wasn't an existinction level pandemic. More like the bubonic plague kek
Jul 19, 8:05 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing it feels like I'm re enjoying the game again
Jul 19, 10:20 PM

Jun 2013
Absolutely amazing.

I still remember the first time I saw the opening credits for route C. I just could not believe in my eyes.

Now the real story begins. Anime-only people: you guys are not ready.
Jul 19, 11:18 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to deg
@BEaSTPadwal15
@CorbanEsp

@deg This is entering wiki delving territory for you, but it was not a pandemic and more like an unexpected bioweapon from another dimension.
That said, humanity died because the player killed them, oopsie.

Quick summary, for further info look into the wiki since I might not remember all the details well.

If i'm not mistaken this takes place in a span of ~10k years
Jul 20, 2:00 AM
Apr 2018
literally no door
Jul 20, 3:45 AM
Jan 2015
They did this episode justice! The big reveal a the start felt a bit underwhelming compared to the game, I felt like they threw so many hints that it became inevitable that they would reach this conclusion, however this could just be me having already played the game!

Anyway, this is the first episode in this adaptation that made me feel the same awe I felt while playing the game. And it set the perfect stage for the grand finale.
SteelLadJul 20, 5:43 AM
Jul 20, 4:41 AM

Nov 2007
Phenomenal episode that did the game truly justice. Animations were on point and the emotions ran quite high. Loved that they also did the "second intro" at the end.

edit: also 10h cameo in the opening narration from the nier reincarnation gacha game.
Jul 20, 7:57 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was handled surprisingly well!
Jul 20, 9:05 AM

Dec 2018
sorry, posted this in the previous episode when i meant it for this one:

I voted "dislike" and I wanted to say why, exactly. This is probably still my favorite game of all time, and I've played several hundreds. I feel like the anime did not properly convey the emotions attached to this arc, the despair at learning about the humans, the loss of the operator and the commander, the fear associated with the loss of the base, all of it felt like they were just checking off boxes like, "yeah that happened." This isn't a history class, there is supposed to be real emotion behind it, and many won't even remember the conversation the operator had with 2B/E about the flower. If the anime hinges only on that one data point after all this time it's going to feel soulless and I really wish they had spent more time connecting the audience with the surroundings and the characters. Jackass, popola/devola, operator, 2A, Adam and eve, the repeated slaughter of 9s, all of these are huge emotional things in the game but fell flat in the anime.

I feel bad for anime only watchers. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked to see this adaptation, I just wish it was given the love in development that it deserves. So seeing as this is a pivotal episode I have to vote dislike because it really didn't do it justice.

One more thing that really irks me: sometimes this show uses the original soundtrack the way it was intended and it's beautiful, but in this episode I felt like it could have been used more appropriately to convey the emotions that the animation failed to deliver. Anime only: please, the whole OST is on YT, check it out, it's majestic.

Sorry if this sounded elitist.
Jul 20, 12:05 PM

Aug 2017
luciojb said:

I agree 9S is better.

♥️ 2b best girl character ever

Loving the post credits scenes too.
Jul 20, 1:12 PM

Dec 2020
this is really well done so far, splitting from the game into its own new thing while still maintaining a lot of what makes the game great, really makes it an engaging watch
Jul 20, 3:09 PM

May 2021
Even with the bleak background, shots were fired for the culture all around.

Jul 20, 8:55 PM
Mar 2019
This episode explains all the underhanded information taken up so far. Now everything is clearer on the board.
Jul 21, 6:20 AM
Oct 2019
The truth has been revealed 😱
Damn in this universe Covid really killed all the humanity .

Oh my GYATT!!
I love NFC Mode 2.

This episode really felt like a season finale.
Jul 21, 11:36 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to CarbonMD
luciojb said:

I agree 9S is better.

♥️ 2b best girl character ever

CarbonMD said:

me too, i always watched them since season 1

Jul 21, 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to Mfundroid
@luciojb You're happy they stopped calling 9S by his nickname?
@Mfundroid i like the separation of number-letter better than "nines". nines for me is an american-esque nickname which takes away the meaning of they being androids. it is the same as calling 2B "tub". Oh, hello Tub, how are you today? lame lol

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Canon

Rayane-47 - 4 hours ago

6 by djg2345312 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Yesterday

55 by CaptainKenshiro »»
2 hours ago

» Anime-only fans, my condolences!

SteelLad - Jul 20

22 by Rayane-47 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 5

78 by Ckea »»
Jul 23, 8:46 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 12

55 by ReganDesu »»
Jul 22, 7:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.