Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 9:14 AM

Feb 2024
Which animes are good but their first episode sucks?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 9:19 AM

Apr 2016
Going with the classic - Lucky Star. It became good after a couple of episodes.
Jun 28, 9:20 AM

Feb 2020
Hmm, it's usually the other way around. I have to think about this.
Jun 28, 9:22 AM

Dec 2021
Urusei Yatsura (1981, not the remake) had a mid as fuck start, in spite of it managing to become my NO 1 fave. Also Lupin III Part 1 had a boring first cour, though it became amazing in the second half.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 28, 9:23 AM

Jan 2021
I can think of a lot of anime that have underwhelming first episode, especially when compared to the rest of the series. But not one that outright suck.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 28, 9:29 AM

May 2024
I'm gonna be that guy, the first episode of Steins;Gate is unwatchable at first. It took me 4 tries to actually get past the beginning. And honestly, despite how good the anime is overall, the first few eps did not need to be that dragged and uninteresting.
Jun 28, 10:02 AM

Oct 2019
There is actually a lot of examples of this:

Pet doesn't get good until the second half, but it gets REALLY good in the second half.

I think jujutsu kaisen has a terrible pilot, it's probably my least favourite episode in the entire show. It's so clearly just trying to sell you on the premise. It puts the idea of the story, before the structure of it.

Undead unlock, is pretty similar in that regard, but for this one the problem goes past episode 1. it actually doesn't go away, the show just slowly carves an identity out of it, and starts to make it a strength instead by the end.

Hell's paradise's biggest selling point, which is the island, doesn't show up until episode 3, making the first 2 episodes, the worst ones in the series

SimplyBrazen said:
I'm gonna be that guy, the first episode of Steins;Gate is unwatchable at first. It took me 4 tries to actually get past the beginning. And honestly, despite how good the anime is overall, the first few eps did not need to be that dragged and uninteresting.

If I was to ever jump off a cliff, this wouldn't be the main reason for it. but it would be in the short list of reasons for not understanding or losing hope for the rest of humanity.
APolygons2Jun 28, 10:05 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 28, 10:07 AM

May 2019
The new 3D saint seiya had a bad start in the first season but got much better along the way of the following seasons, isn't that true ? @adnash
Jun 28, 10:09 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to APolygons2
There is actually a lot of examples of this:

Pet doesn't get good until the second half, but it gets REALLY good in the second half.

I think jujutsu kaisen has a terrible pilot, it's probably my least favourite episode in the entire show. It's so clearly just trying to sell you on the premise. It puts the idea of the story, before the structure of it.

Undead unlock, is pretty similar in that regard, but for this one the problem goes past episode 1. it actually doesn't go away, the show just slowly carves an identity out of it, and starts to make it a strength instead by the end.

Hell's paradise's biggest selling point, which is the island, doesn't show up until episode 3, making the first 2 episodes, the worst ones in the series

SimplyBrazen said:

If I was to ever jump off a cliff, this wouldn't be the main reason for it. but it would be in the short list of reasons for not understanding or losing hope for the rest of humanity.
@APolygons2
I do not think the start of Steins;Gate is any better than the start of Pet. Which is to say I like both.
その目だれの目?
Jun 28, 10:10 AM

Mar 2023
It took me a while to get into Gunslinger Girl at the begining.
Jun 28, 10:10 AM

May 2024
APolygons2 said:

Perhaps you should try a different cliff?
Jun 28, 10:27 AM

Sep 2018
Whenever I enjoy the middle and the later parts of an anime way more than the beginning, I always end up enjoying the beginning too on a rewatch. It wasn't a truly bad start, it just took me a while to realize how good it is.

The only real 180° turn for me is Nier Automata, but even then the first episode wasn't that bad on a rewatch.
Jun 28, 10:35 AM

Oct 2018
Good thing with bad start does not exist, every single good anime and TV show started very well, they might get better later, but they were good in the beginning.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jun 28, 10:44 AM

Oct 2019
Lucifrost said:
@APolygons2
I do not think the start of Steins;Gate is any better than the start of Pet. Which is to say I like both.

I think steins;gate has one of the best first episode in all of TV. I don't think there is a single show that hooked me more with it's pilot.

To me, pet felt like a bunch of random ideas that felt completely directionless at the start, but I can actually tell you the exact moment I got what the show was going for and started to like it a lot more. It's a scene near the end of one of the episode where Tsukasa refers to Hiroki to his supervisor.

I was sold by then, but the episode with the bloody rain happened, and I realized this might actually be banger of a story.

Steins;gate was directing and writing marvel from the start, with dialogue and mystery writing so strong, It was almost unbelievable. I don't get how people find it boring. It's genuinely one of the only things that makes me think I'm living in some alien planet, where nothing makes sense.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 28, 10:47 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to SimplyBrazen
APolygons2 said:

Perhaps you should try a different cliff?
@SimplyBrazen Maybe I'm dumb but I have been looking at this for 2 minutes, and I literally can't tell what this means in this context.

I can't even tell if it's an insult, a joke, or what.
Also available at:

Jun 28, 11:03 AM

May 2024
Reply to APolygons2
@SimplyBrazen Maybe I'm dumb but I have been looking at this for 2 minutes, and I literally can't tell what this means in this context.

I can't even tell if it's an insult, a joke, or what.
@APolygons2 Nah it's just me being dumb don't worry. I was tryna be sarcastic.
Jun 28, 11:20 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Good thing with bad start does not exist, every single good anime and TV show started very well, they might get better later, but they were good in the beginning.
@Phosphophyllita

There are 3 possible explanations for why you think this:

1. you have not seen Bojack Horseman

2. You have poor taste and don't think Bojack Horseman is good

3. You are way too generous and think the first episode of Bojack Horseman is good
Also available at:

Jun 28, 11:32 AM

May 2021
JoeChip said:

I wouldn't say completely sucked, cuz if they did i would've dropped them lol

But first eps that didn't look so promising but ended up leading to 10/10 anime

- Hunter x Hunter (1999)
- Shiki
- Orange
- Oshi no Ko
- Souso no Frieren
Jun 28, 11:51 AM

Dec 2022
Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu. The first episode had a sort of inorganic, clumsy lifelessness to it that was more than compensated for by every episode following.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 28, 12:06 PM

Mar 2021
For me Kaguya-Sama's premise of "Love is War" between the 2 main characters was so unbearable at the start to the point where I was considering to drop it within the first few episodes. It felt like they were gaslighting themselves into liking each other, and somehow fully confident that the other person was into them. Since it was such a popular and highly rated romcom, I decided to commit to half a season at least. Especially because I wanted to branch out to other genres like romance at the time.

I'm glad I stuck with it because it only got better from that point onwards, and by the end of the first season I started finding the main couple's interactions enjoyable as well. It gradually went from a 3/10 to a 8/10 within the first season, and the 3rd season was a 9/10 for me.
Jun 28, 12:14 PM

Sep 2016
I don't know because I drop them.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 28, 12:53 PM

Jul 2021
SimplyBrazen said:
I'm gonna be that guy, the first episode of Steins;Gate is unwatchable at first.

I wouldn't say they were "unwatchable," but I also had a rough time with the first few episodes.

It was one of the few times I can think of when I had to force myself to keep going; I mean, this was Steins;Gate, one of the most celebrated anime on MAL.

Even after I finished watching it, I wasn't convinced the early parts absolutely had to be that way. Maybe I'll change my mind on a re-watch, but I'm not too keen on going through those parts again...
Jun 28, 1:09 PM

Jan 2020
Natsu no Arashi!'s first episode is nonsensical and the story doesn't start till episode 2, plus, it spoils some of the stuff you should have known later. Chronologically it is the last episode of the season.

Yuri Kuma Arashi's first episode is way too random and throws you in the story without any explanaition till freaking episode 4.

Suzumiya Haruhi's first (broadcast) episode also makes no sense without the context, which chronologically would be episode 25.

Higurashi's first episode, while it makes sense it's by far the blandest one.

All of them I have rated 8 or higher.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jun 28, 1:54 PM

Dec 2020
Surprised no one has said Clannad yet.
Jun 28, 2:06 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to APolygons2
@Phosphophyllita

There are 3 possible explanations for why you think this:

1. you have not seen Bojack Horseman

2. You have poor taste and don't think Bojack Horseman is good

3. You are way too generous and think the first episode of Bojack Horseman is good
@APolygons2 2. You have poor taste and don't think Bojack Horseman is good

The correct answer.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jun 28, 2:12 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Quadruple_Oi
For me Kaguya-Sama's premise of "Love is War" between the 2 main characters was so unbearable at the start to the point where I was considering to drop it within the first few episodes. It felt like they were gaslighting themselves into liking each other, and somehow fully confident that the other person was into them. Since it was such a popular and highly rated romcom, I decided to commit to half a season at least. Especially because I wanted to branch out to other genres like romance at the time.

I'm glad I stuck with it because it only got better from that point onwards, and by the end of the first season I started finding the main couple's interactions enjoyable as well. It gradually went from a 3/10 to a 8/10 within the first season, and the 3rd season was a 9/10 for me.
@Oioioioi1234

"It felt like they were gaslighting themselves into liking each other, and somehow fully confident that the other person was into them."
That's exactly what they were doing. isnt that the whole premise of the show?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2:20 PM

Jan 2009
recently that is highspeed etoile it has a great ending but bad start
Jun 28, 2:51 PM
Jan 2022
Kingdom' first Episodes might be a really Bad experience but you'll get used to The CGI pretty quickly and animations becomes better by The season. Also once The story starts rolling after The first arc The peak level writing Will keep you hooked
Jun 28, 2:58 PM
Sep 2014
I remember when Black Clover came out and everyone hated the first few episodes and then it turned into what it is today
Jun 28, 3:07 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Oioioioi1234

"It felt like they were gaslighting themselves into liking each other, and somehow fully confident that the other person was into them."
That's exactly what they were doing. isnt that the whole premise of the show?
@Kenzolo-folk

While I didn't like the premise of the whole "make them confess for me" concept, that's not what I was referring to in that quote. I'll put this under as a spoiler since it mentions the direction of the plot.

Jun 28, 3:25 PM

Jan 2017
Isekai nonbiri Nouka. I was just so bored and the it became great.
Jun 28, 3:28 PM

Jun 2024
Most of the time, it's just a slow start. Whether I think slow is bad, I don't know. Anyway, Hunter x Hunter.
Jun 28, 4:32 PM

Dec 2020
Several friends have told me that they didn't like the start of Steins;Gate. Also One Piece, Evangelion, Re:Zero, Hunter x Hunter and there are many more.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jun 28, 4:47 PM

Aug 2017
Highspeed Etoile. Started very slowly which probably turned off most people. This said, I tend to like watching some stuff that is getting hate just the spite of it, and after watching longer than skippers, I end up finding some hidden gems.
Jun 28, 8:23 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
JoeChip said:

I wouldn't say completely sucked, cuz if they did i would've dropped them lol

- Hunter x Hunter (1999)
- Shiki
- Orange
- Oshi no Ko
- Souso no Frieren
DigiCat said:

- Hunter x Hunter (1999)

I only tried this show in the first place because I was told it has a better start than 2011. But I actually like episode 1 of HxH 2011...
その目だれの目?
Jun 28, 8:26 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to eblf2013
Natsu no Arashi!'s first episode is nonsensical and the story doesn't start till episode 2, plus, it spoils some of the stuff you should have known later. Chronologically it is the last episode of the season.

Yuri Kuma Arashi's first episode is way too random and throws you in the story without any explanaition till freaking episode 4.

Suzumiya Haruhi's first (broadcast) episode also makes no sense without the context, which chronologically would be episode 25.

All of them I have rated 8 or higher.
eblf2013 said:

Good example. It's a change of pace from the director's Penguindrum, which started great but got worse over time.

eblf2013 said:

That is the episode that hooked me.
その目だれの目?
Jun 28, 8:59 PM

Dec 2012
The Garden of Sinners-Movies purposely aired out of chronological order
Baccano!-Episodes are not in chronological order
When They Cry-Higurashi-Slow burn and that art style with a story that can be confusing at first until the show puts the pieces together later
Kemonozume- Great show if you get past the weird art style
Kiddy Grade-The first half of the show is episodic until the story kicks in at the halfway point
Witch Hunter Robin-Same as above
Ga-Rei: Zero

KruszerJun 28, 9:14 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 29, 12:50 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
It took me not one but 5 episodes to get invested into Mugen no Ryvius, but the wait was worth it for a thrilling adventure.

Edit: Oh, now I remember. BokuYaba's (The Dangers in My Heart) initial premise scared many viewers away, but after that you're left with one of the funniest, cutest and most wholesome romances ever (I loved it despite not liking traditional romance at all).
TitanOfPlasmaJun 29, 1:01 AM
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jun 29, 1:03 AM

Sep 2015
sentai daishikkaku

I ended up skipping over most of the first episode cuz i thought this is one of the animes that I'll drop anyway after first episode, surprisingly it got better slowly, then it steadily it went from 6/10 to 10/10
Jun 29, 1:16 AM

Apr 2018
I think Jojo would be one of the most popular examples in which the first start can get bad and boring, but it is necessary
Jun 29, 1:32 AM

Jan 2023
I think a lot of anime series have a fairly slow start with their first couple of episodes needed to introduce the world and characters.

I'd personally consider that even series like Konosuba that I rated a 10 have a fairly slow or even 'meh' start and only get really good once the setup, running gags and characters are established.
I think it is pretty frequent in comedy overall :)
Jun 29, 1:38 AM
Feb 2014
Definitely Gintama. First 3/4 episodes felt like shit. I dropped it. Then came back after a few months. Damn, this is why the so called 3 episode rule sucks.
Jun 29, 1:47 AM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
DigiCat said:

- Hunter x Hunter (1999)

I only tried this show in the first place because I was told it has a better start than 2011. But I actually like episode 1 of HxH 2011...
@Lucifrost Haha, start def not, the only thing the start has over HxH 2011 is more scenes with Gon's pet, but overall HxH 1999 beats HxH 2011 tenfold (at least imo)
Jun 29, 2:28 AM
Dec 2022
Unpopular opinion:Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Jun 29, 2:30 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
There aren't any, but the closest thing I could think of is JoJo Bizarre Adventure (2012).

The beginning wasn't bad, but not that super interesting either.

Just the weakest part out of the six which are all great :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 29, 3:26 AM
Jul 2015
Texhnolyze
The lack of dialogues in the first episode made it hard to watch.
Jun 29, 3:26 AM
Sep 2020
Undead Unluck
It has a very interesting worldbuilding and likeable characters
But the fanservice of the first episodes makes it difficult to recommend it to other people
Jun 29, 4:55 AM

Jul 2019
Chou Henshin Cosprayers, the entire first season was hot garbage from beginning to end, it was a jumbled mess of incoherent plot lines and characters. But then the two spin off shows, Hit wo Nerae! and Love♥Love?, came out immediately after, and they were some of the greatest comedies I've seen.

APolygons2 said:
I think steins;gate has one of the best first episode in all of TV. I don't think there is a single show that hooked me more with it's pilot.

The first half of Steins;Gate was peak, I loved the mystery and the slow build up, then it all went down hill in the second half.

deg said:
recently that is highspeed etoile it has a great ending but bad start

IrnFox said:
Highspeed Etoile. Started very slowly which probably turned off most people. This said, I tend to like watching some stuff that is getting hate just the spite of it, and after watching longer than skippers, I end up finding some hidden gems.

This was my most improved of the season, I was surprised I was as invested in the end as I was, considering my lukewarm reception to the beginning. In fact, at the beginning of the season, someone did a thread asking thoughts on the new season, and this was in my "disappointed" category.

Kruszer said:
Baccano!-Episodes are not in chronological order

That's the best part!

HoLoVN1608 said:
Unpopular opinion:Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

I don't know what they were thinking with that awful anime original first episode, lol.

Jun 29, 9:16 AM
Jan 2018
Eureka Seven had a very underwhelming start, but it turned out to be one of my favorites.
Jun 29, 9:48 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which anime characters would make the best Santa?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

4 by RainyEvenings »»
11 minutes ago

» How well do you remember when you watched a certain anime?

thewiru - 4 hours ago

12 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago

» why is it widely accepted that slanting a chinese character's eyes is racist but anime does it all the time?

karo86 - 8 hours ago

28 by JaniSIr »»
30 minutes ago

» Anime Girls Freezing Cold

ReitokoYuki - 8 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » How much anime do you think an average anime fan has watched? ( 1 2 )

BackstageMage - Oct 15, 2018

95 by MessiPuss »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.