Forum Settings
Forums

why is it widely accepted that slanting a chinese character's eyes is racist but anime does it all the time?

New
2 hours ago
Aug 2016
ive been rewatching some childhood shows like FMA and Black Butler and something that both shows have in common is a canonically chinese character with closed/slanted eyes and just a bunch of stereotypes. and now that i think about it, thats like a really common trope for chinese characters? yet if a westerner does the slightest eye slanting then theyre bashed for being racist.

why does nobody bat an eye when anime does this all the time? and why does japan actually do this? is it because of the whole china/japan rivalry? wouldnt it be contradictive since those stereotypes are often also used against the japanese?

ive been so used to these characters that i never stopped to think that they are just a walking stereotype most of the time. dont get me wrong, some of them are insanely good characters like ling yao from fma, but im still curious about the whole slanted/closed eyes. i know other characters like ranpo from bsd have it but its definitely more common with canon/implied chinese characters.

sorry if anything i said mightve come off as rude, please educate me!

2 hours ago

May 2020
Because the people who say such things have a self that is deeply in turmoil, and they are more than happy to let others share in their turmoil by starting stupid witch hunts like this.

The matter of the fact is whether something is rude or discriminatory towards asians has 0 to do with whether they depict them with cartoonishly slanted eyes. The nature of comics and manga and art is to accentuate things and to push boundaries.
2 hours ago

Sep 2021
You seem unaware that anime is pretty racist.
1 hour ago
Feb 2021
There's nothing racist about giving them slanted eyes. That's literally what they look like and that's OK. They're beautiful the way they are.
17 minutes ago

Mar 2021
I understand why it's considered offensive, but it's always about the context. People with slanted eyes exist, it can't be helped.
13 minutes ago
Aug 2013
There's a difference that's why... in art it's called caricature and the point is to overexaggerate certain features and that's not racist at all to do caricature you're just exaggerating the features which already exist. Also asian eyes are slanted in real life too so it's not racist to draw slanted eyes, i've seen some people in real life with anime looking eyes just saying

It's only racist when in real life you would pull your eyes like that on purpose to try make yourself look asian to mock an asian person then you're now mocking them which becomes racist... caricature isn't mocking there's a difference
~AnimeDownUnder~

6 minutes ago

Aug 2017
That's not racist. Japan and China share a lot of things in common so expect to find Chinese characters in Anime done well, their culture is imporant.

What is racist is what Western Animation do with every character who isn't American, they erase White/Black Latino characters existence and they made all of them mestizo, fully Japanese/Chinese characters are almost non-existent (I don't say never since I could be wrong but I wouldn't surprised), for them an American character with either African, Asian or Latino ancestry are more African, Asian or Latino than characters who are fully African, Asian and Latino aka non-Americans. As Latino, Western Animation offends me. Western Animation doesn't matter when, its always racist, in the past they hated every non-white characters, now they hate every race -with white characters being the main punch bag- with a false belief of diversity which ironically its offensive to the races they claim to protect at the same time. I don't think I need to mention how stereotyped such characters are. In the name of false diversity, they are truly the true face of racism.

More reasons to watch Anime, its always nice to every race on Earth interpreted in Anime unlike racist Western Animation. Anime is true diversity, truly diverse media don't preach about it.

So no, Anime isn't racist towards Chinese people, in fact its the opposite, they love Chinese characters a lot.
Nurguburu7 seconds ago
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
12 seconds ago

Jan 2009
i never encounter this problem looks like another first world problem

More topics from this board

» Do you think mal influences what series succeeds? Does mal impact the anime industry?

rohan121 - 10 hours ago

26 by SPTLayzner »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character? ( 1 2 )

ZeroMajor12 - May 20

56 by Sheol01 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Why do people not like sad/emotional anime?

TheSunLife - Aug 19

37 by ProGoddess »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime Girls Freezing Cold

ReitokoYuki - 2 hours ago

1 by IrnFox »»
25 minutes ago

» Are you a completionist and if you were (but not anymore), what made you stop?

MoKris - Jul 7

24 by Passerby001 »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.