Forum Settings
Forums

Why is shipping male characters together in shonen bad?

New
Apr 2, 2:04 AM

Aug 2021
For this discussion, I am talking about shonen jump manga/anime that has predominantly male cast where it only focuses on developing male characters while completely sidelining female characters. Friendships between male characters are fleshed out and are emotionally resonant with the audience. So, people will automatically gravitate towards shipping those friendships. The same trend happens in any magical girl and CGDCT/idol shows where male audience ship female characters with each other all the time.

Only thing you'll probably see is fans creating fanworks and fanfiction about their favourite gay ships. No one is demanding those gay ships to be made canon. They are mostly fan-made concepts that exists in fanworks, how do they threaten the show anyway?

There is no gay shipping in anime where female characters aren't sidelined and are main part of the show like Fairy Tail, Frieren, Spy x Family, Bleach, Undead Unluck, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Dandadan.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2:24 AM
Mar 2017
It’s either cause they’re homophobic or actually have a certain female they ship with the MC
for example , my hero academia, you’ll find everywhere shipping of izuko and ka Chan
But lots of people as i said either homophobic or they prefer to see izuko with oraraka ( or see ka Chan with her which I always thought is a crazy ship )

And there’s the minority, who just hate all types of romance in most anime genres ( especially shounen)
Apr 2, 3:01 AM

May 2019
I don't think the usual Japanese shonen target audience would appreciate or understand why their favorite spiky haired characters are engaging in romantic relations with their rivals.
Apr 2, 3:10 AM

Aug 2021
It's not a bad thing, just don't be sad if they don't end up together.

I don't know where you got this from, but Fairy Tail and Fullmetal Alchemist have a very large fujodanshi fandom.

Apr 2, 3:24 AM

Jan 2013
Shipping in general is just bad. Case in point, Lycoris Recoil.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 2, 3:27 AM

Dec 2022
@Cestlavie_ Its not that its being shoved right up to your eyes. Because it is not shown in the anime obviously. You would have to practically search for that type of stuff. People make girl ships all the time, so what's the problem with the boy shipping?

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Apr 2, 3:31 AM

Sep 2021
My concern about gay shipping in ANY anime that is not specifically BL is that actual friendships are being invalidated. If every damn male/male friendship is given a romantic/sexual undertone are we saying that its not possible for men to have platonic friendships? Or that straight relationships have no merit? Good grief, is there no nuance or variety allowed within anime characters? Ya'll woke-ing yourself to death.

While I mostly see shipping as childish behaviour, I do feel it has the potential to become a dangerous mindset. There is already enough homophobia. I'd hate for men to become afraid they may be accused of being gay because they have male friendships... it's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love BL. I read and watch tons of it (before you throw the homophobe card at me). But I'm also appreciative of straight and platonic relationships. I fear we are developing an over-sexed and immature mindset if all people can fantasize about is snu-snu between boys
~ Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows ~
Apr 2, 3:35 AM

Jun 2020
Well the fact is that even if female characters are sidelined, more often than not one of them is still chosen by the author to be a love interest for the male MCs.

You mentioned Yuri shipping in Magical Girl series and CGDT, but at least of what I know in CGDT there are quite literally NO male side cast/love interests and the author does Yuribait anyways.

There is inherently nothing bad with shipping noncanon including BL ships, but if there is a clear love interest, no matter the girl's relevance, it makes sense why people will look down on the noncanon ships because the narrative is already pushing for a couple.
DumbApr 2, 3:38 AM
Apr 2, 3:51 AM

Sep 2016
Sanjay63773 said:
Why is shipping male characters together in shonen bad?

Because 2 sticks shouldn't stick together.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 2, 3:56 AM

Mar 2012
You are either a fudanshi who ships these things yourself or have never interacted with a fandom that contains fujos aggressively pushing for their ships to be considered canon and calling everyone homophobic who doesn't agree with them.

I'm glad that I don't like most battle shounen so I don't have to deal with these people.

Sanjay63773 said:
No one is demanding those gay ships to be made canon.
Did you forget fujos calling Ishida Sui, the mangaka of Tokyo Ghoul, homophobic and asking him to commit suicide when their gay ship sunk?
Apr 2, 9:05 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to LostSpectre
@LostSpectre Gotta love when people try to find yaoi/Yuri in series where there literally is none. The CGDCT fandom is highly guilty of this.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 2, 9:10 AM
Feb 2024
@sanjay63773

1. There under age

2. Their straight

3. It’s creepy
Apr 2, 9:23 AM

Apr 2016
not all, but some of them are delusional that they want to make their ship canon and send death threats to the author if they don't make their ship official. as long as two characters breathe in the same air or whatever, they will ship it no matter what, even though they don't have any romantic interest in each other. basically every shippers (not all).

Apr 2, 9:33 AM

Jul 2017
I personally don't mind gay ships. You do you at the end of the day. It only becomes problematic when certain shippers get really demanding and send death threats to mangaka/creators just because their non-canon gay ship is confirmed to be non-canon by said mangaka/creators.
Apr 2, 9:44 AM

May 2021
shipping fictional characters is fun! the extreme side of it is very toxic, but the extreme vocal minority of literally everything is never good

getting mad at people who like to ship fictional characters is a silly use of energy imo, who cares if you don’t like the ships? who cares if the ships are gay? it’s fiction!

Apr 2, 9:58 AM

Jul 2015
You'll realize once you see how many Twitterians unironically think, that Naruto and Sasuke canonically have feelings for eachother just because they accidentally kissed in early episodes.

Apr 2, 10:54 AM

Oct 2017
The anime fandom is notorious for homophobia, so I am not surprised with the amount of people getting upset at people having gay ships. Except Jojo everyone seems to unanimously accept gay Jojo stuff lol
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 2, 11:16 AM

Dec 2022
Who says it's bad? It seems like you're hanging out in toxic neighborhoods.
Apr 2, 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
No shipping is bad in itself. It's bad if you go crazy and start demanding that people accept your ships as canon or attack others because they like other ships or your ship sank because of them. For example, I'm fine with BakuDeku and even like to joke about it myself, but I can't stand people who harass Horikoshi with it.
Apr 2, 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
People get meltdowns over gay ships, because these people are queerphobic. There is nothing more to it.
Same goes for "but they are straight (never explicitly spelled out), so you are not allowed to ship that."
Apr 2, 5:41 PM

Nov 2019
its bad because i am homophobic β€…β€…β€…β€…
Apr 2, 7:33 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
It’s either cause they’re homophobic or actually have a certain female they ship with the MC
for example , my hero academia, you’ll find everywhere shipping of izuko and ka Chan
But lots of people as i said either homophobic or they prefer to see izuko with oraraka ( or see ka Chan with her which I always thought is a crazy ship )

And there’s the minority, who just hate all types of romance in most anime genres ( especially shounen)
@Yonahim_Zz Trust me it's not homophobic. Maybe the reason is because a lot pf people who ship male x male tend to be so loud about it.

I like shipping Bakugo x Uraraka just to take the piss btw.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 2, 7:40 PM
Apr 2022
It's like no Shounen male characters that just can be friends. If the people in fandom want ship males, watch BL.

Tbh, the fandom I follow really like ship males characters in shonen.

I even see a female self called herself as Fujoshis's comments that she ship loid with Yuri than YorπŸ’€ because she like male x male.
Apr 3, 3:28 AM

Jul 2014
It's not. Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't be annoying about it.
Take care of yourself

Apr 6, 10:26 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Shipping male characters does nothing for me, but I always find it hilarious when people laugh at fujos shipping m/m pairings in shounen, while in the same breath, cry blood when their waifu doesn't win the MC bowl or scream NTR when the female lead interacts with a dude other than the male protagonist.
Apr 6, 10:44 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to Mishiia
It's like no Shounen male characters that just can be friends. If the people in fandom want ship males, watch BL.

Tbh, the fandom I follow really like ship males characters in shonen.

I even see a female self called herself as Fujoshis's comments that she ship loid with Yuri than YorπŸ’€ because she like male x male.
@Mishiia On the contrary, "just can be friends" is so prevalent in shonen that no wonder people like to push further in their fanons.
Apr 7, 2:08 AM

Mar 2021
For me, shipping characters of the same gender together is not a bad thing as long as it's not being fetishized.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Apr 7, 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
That is something the ones who shall not be named do.
Apr 7, 2:22 AM

Apr 2024
oh sure, you want them to be gay, go for it.
boring of straight romance, go for it.
finding queer loves is more interesting, go for it.
it just wont happen in that way, tho
Apr 7, 4:42 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Ships don't threaten the show unless the author actually makes it canon for some reason. Fujoshi's are just really rabid about their ships which could get annoying.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 7, 4:55 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to LostSpectre
@LostSpectre I wholeheartedly agree. I get being into wanting your favorite characters be involved. But a lot of times people are too passionate about their ships and even try to actively push it onto the main storyline.
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Apr 7, 4:56 AM

Nov 2019
It's not the act of shipping problematic, rather the behaviour patterns of those shippers.

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 7, 4:56 AM

Jan 2021
feel free to do it but I don't want to be exposed to that stuff tbh

Apr 7, 6:13 AM
Dec 2020
Honestly, the level of homophobia in the shounen community has always surprised me, like the protagonist could have a relationship with his friends/rivals that is 10times better written than the one with his love interest and they'll get mad when people ship them
Apr 7, 6:28 AM

Aug 2021
@Animefan54556

They are not brain cancer, they are a piece of the community that we must respect just like the rest of the community. Many anime fans are very mean to lolicons and fujodanshis, they don't deserve all this hate.

They can be a little obsessed sometimes, but there are fans like that everywhere.

Apr 7, 6:33 AM

Mar 2016
It just not the usual culture in our comunnity. Ideally, those pretty boys from a shonen show should also be shipped hard by fujoshis out there

Apr 7, 6:57 AM

Dec 2018
It's not bad

But homophobes get so angry they start to bitch and cry on every gay ship they see

Then we have this old claim that the mean fujodanshis are forcing their ship on them,,,,

I not saying that hasn't happened. However, I have spent a lot of time in both Yuri and Yaoi communities. and I have NEVER seen a Yaoi fan behave aggressively. But sometimes there are shipping police telling them they can't have their gay ship, and when they refuse to stop to have their gay ship the abuse starts. Then if they have forced their ship on anyone that is also wrong, I don't agree with that kind of behavior. Art should be interpreted freely

And Yuri is no better and Yuri shippers also get a lot of hate. I have been told I deserved to get killed, and that my family should be burned in an oven and more horrible stuff. Just because I love Yuri and lesbian shipping 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

They can be angry! They can curse at me. They can threaten to kill me. I will NEVER back down!! I love lesbian shipping and there is NOTHING they can say to make me stop

Lesbian kissing is too divine for me,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Incest lesbian kissing is extra divine Hehehehehehehehe πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ for the proud man of culture

Yuri-CrusaderApr 7, 7:03 AM
Apr 7, 7:05 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to jal90
@Mishiia On the contrary, "just can be friends" is so prevalent in shonen that no wonder people like to push further in their fanons.
@jal90 there's people that want male and female characters can be just friend. While they ship male x male that portrayed really as friend or straight (example is denji chain saw man).
And yeah, they like their fanons world more than canon.
Apr 7, 7:13 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Yuri-Crusader
It's not bad

But homophobes get so angry they start to bitch and cry on every gay ship they see

Then we have this old claim that the mean fujodanshis are forcing their ship on them,,,,

I not saying that hasn't happened. However, I have spent a lot of time in both Yuri and Yaoi communities. and I have NEVER seen a Yaoi fan behave aggressively. But sometimes there are shipping police telling them they can't have their gay ship, and when they refuse to stop to have their gay ship the abuse starts. Then if they have forced their ship on anyone that is also wrong, I don't agree with that kind of behavior. Art should be interpreted freely

And Yuri is no better and Yuri shippers also get a lot of hate. I have been told I deserved to get killed, and that my family should be burned in an oven and more horrible stuff. Just because I love Yuri and lesbian shipping 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

They can be angry! They can curse at me. They can threaten to kill me. I will NEVER back down!! I love lesbian shipping and there is NOTHING they can say to make me stop

Lesbian kissing is too divine for me,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Incest lesbian kissing is extra divine Hehehehehehehehe πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ for the proud man of culture

@Yuri-Crusader I am not sure in your country. But most fujosanshi in my country is homophobic , gayphobic and lesbianphobic. They that likes 2D but hate if irl people...

And tbh, in fandom thatI follow. Straight ship get hate. Usually they hate the female characters....(fujoshi, some fudanshi) or hate Yuri (fujoshi, just the yaoi lover)
Apr 7, 7:19 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to Yuri-Crusader
It's not bad

@Yuri-Crusader
as a fellow yuri-fan ...
pls dont put or let yuri involve in this.
let yaoi-fan and yaoi hater be as they should
:facepalm:
Apr 7, 9:28 AM

Apr 2015
@Yuri-Crusader The level of irony in your post. I see you constantly spamming shit like "All girls are lesbians" when the topic you post on has nothing do with your beloved yuri, and you literally spam a Yuri Pic that clogs the threads you post on every time without fail.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 7, 9:43 AM

Dec 2018
Reply to Tropisch
@Yuri-Crusader The level of irony in your post. I see you constantly spamming shit like "All girls are lesbians" when the topic you post on has nothing do with your beloved yuri, and you literally spam a Yuri Pic that clogs the threads you post on every time without fail.
@Tropisch

I think I have never said all girls are lesbians. My ex-girlfriend is definitely not a lesbian. I know many more heterosexual females and anime girls. And I don't think all girls are lesbians

Can you please provide some evidence of where I say all girls are lesbians? Or are you just making false claims again because you hate Yuri and can't stand that I enjoy it?

There are no rules saying I can't post a picture. And there are several threats where I have posted and I say nothing about Yuri, or post those pictures

Then all you need to do is use the ignore function and you will never see my posts or pictures again. But for some odd reason, you keep addressing me LOL. Why? Have my love for Yuri affected you so much? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

Yuri-CrusaderApr 7, 10:39 AM
Apr 7, 9:55 AM

Aug 2021
@Animefan54556

Hentai/BL/Yuri/lolis/shotas is an element that has been part of the anime community for a long time, this is undeniable.

Apr 7, 10:20 AM

Apr 2020
i just get annoyed cuz its just a bunch of thirsty girls shipping two characters together that wouldve been fine as friends. they keep erasing any type of male friendships because they immediately think if two characters like (or even hate) eachother they should be boning eachother. Some ships make a lot of sense but some dont.

its annoying watching a show and seeing two male characters with a lot of scenes together and knowing immediately im gonna be bombarded with corny fanart anytime i see the fanbase.
Kenzolo-folkApr 7, 10:28 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
@@Yuri-Crusader Thanks for proving my point how you'll just spam pics every post. And why should I post the evidence when you constantly do it? Oh, a male character in a mostly female cast show , I've seen you on those saying the girls are lesbians and how they need to stay away from the guy. Don't play coy here.

@Kenzolo-folk If you think that's bad, look at the all female cast shows fanbases. Avoid them like crazy, it's even worse. Have to avoid GuP fanbaae because half the stuff is what you said, but amplified.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 7, 10:43 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Tropisch
@@Yuri-Crusader Thanks for proving my point how you'll just spam pics every post. And why should I post the evidence when you constantly do it? Oh, a male character in a mostly female cast show , I've seen you on those saying the girls are lesbians and how they need to stay away from the guy. Don't play coy here.

@Kenzolo-folk If you think that's bad, look at the all female cast shows fanbases. Avoid them like crazy, it's even worse. Have to avoid GuP fanbaae because half the stuff is what you said, but amplified.
@Tropisch

yeah i know the female cast ones are just as annoying if not more because of greasy old men fanatics. the threads talking about male ships tho.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
-DxP-Apr 13, 9:29 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 10:46 AM

Jan 2021
It's gay asf ngl

I'm also severely homophobic...
Apr 7, 10:50 AM

Dec 2018
Reply to Tropisch

@Tropisch

But you said "you literally spam a Yuri Pic that clogs the threads you post on every time"

I have made 3815 posts there are 3 with a picture of Yuri motives in this thread. How about the rest? That is not literally every time I post. Don't you understand the meaning of the word literally?

I often don't watch shows with a male that are surrounded by females. Those are often harem and not for my taste. Why do you care so much about what I choose to watch? But I have made a lot of Yuri ships when watching anime with only girls. Again if you don't like them, you don't need to read my posts LOL

So you have nothing that supports your claim and are just angry again because I like Yuri? Why the fuck do you care so much? You don't need to like or watch Yuri

Yuri-CrusaderApr 7, 11:32 AM
Apr 7, 10:55 AM

Apr 2018
It might be strange and annoying as far as the shippers themselves are concerned, but that shouldn't even matter. They are headcanons of which unfortunately they give more political value than for being a "particular" way to express their love in the fandom.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Apr 7, 11:16 AM

Mar 2008
Because they might die so you will be sad lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What would happen with Poutin Sometimes Hides His Feelings in Russian?

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

20 by SgtBateMan »»
3 minutes ago

» What do you think about 00s anime?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

15 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Which superpower you like choose from an anime character irl?

nirererin - 7 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
9 minutes ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

basrekichka - Yesterday

61 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » What should be the next Type Moon anime project.

AnimePedestrian - Yesterday

22 by AnimePedestrian »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.