Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 12, 2023 10:41 PM

Jul 2022
Badonkers said:
Ehhh. I'd rather migrate my lists to AniDB or offline than to Anilist.

I was intrigued in the AniDB website. Seems like the website is past its prime, but it has a certain charm to it like old forum sites I've used before, like UnknownCheats. I think I might have found a new home there.
May 12, 2023 10:46 PM

May 2013
Took you for granted, love you forever, MAL!!
May 12, 2023 10:59 PM

Jan 2017
Can this comment be taken down for spam advertising or harassment ?
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
May 12, 2023 11:00 PM

Oct 2010
xinil should have never sold the site, it's pathetic how mal became and a total joke. The admin team is incompetent and should step down.
May 12, 2023 11:13 PM

Apr 2020
Catalano said:
xinil should have never sold the site, it's pathetic how mal became and a total joke. The admin team is incompetent and should step down.

Why?
Have MyAnimeList got hacked commonely the past years?
Be yourself, no matter what they say. ❤️
May 12, 2023 11:14 PM
Sword Artist

Jul 2015
I've only ever used MAL to track my anime, and will continue doing so. Thanks for your hard work! 
May 12, 2023 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
Since I love Lain, I thought this was funny. But I do realize how big of a job the dev team had to do to fix this. Thank you
May 12, 2023 11:25 PM

Jun 2021
Glad the site is up and running again so we can finally update our lists and use the site again. Checked my lists and they seem pretty intact; good thing the 'Notes' or 'More' weren't affected. Just backed up again to AniList and Anime-Planet before I update my lists here just for good measure. Gotta migrate some to my Obsidian dataview and Notion databases too. I'll probably check AniDB and Kitsu as well...

Gonna leave this here for those who also want to export their lists:
https://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=export
OR
https://malscraper.azurewebsites.net
IridescentJauneMay 12, 2023 11:34 PM
May 12, 2023 11:25 PM

Aug 2018
@StormSky92

Holy crap. Relax buddy, it's not the end of the world. Saying MAL going down was only a slight inconvenience is an overstatement. That being said, I am glad it's back up again.I don't understand what motivates people to do stupid stuff like that. "Lets all love Lain" cringe. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with anime fans?
May 12, 2023 11:36 PM
Aug 2022
Damn that cyber attackers!!! 
May 12, 2023 11:39 PM

Mar 2021
I was here 🙋‍♂️

Dec 2015
Badly designed, outdated website. Im surprised by anyone whos still loyal to this website, migrated to a new one and not gonna look back.
Aug 2022
StormSky92 said:
Pretyped this comment in notepad so I could copy/paste it in hopes of this getting as much attention as possible because fuck this site and fuck DeNA(owners of the site) in particule.

How many times is this now that MAL has gone down for an extended period of time because of a security breach? It's been many. I'm surprised this wasn't yet another multi-week one. I sure expected it from the start. It is truly patheic that the site continues to have issues with being hacked. What the hell is the site administrators even doing? Not giving a shit about cyber security, that's for damn sure. But what else should I expect from a site that just implied dark mode for the first time only a few months ago despite users asking for it for over 10 years. If it takes them 10 years to figure out dark mode, protecting the site from hackers is truly out their league.

The users should absolutely be furious about this. The hackers may not have gotten any sensitive information this time but that may not be the case the next time this inevitable happens again. Maybe having some credit cards stolen would have caused some users to break up with this abusive relationship we all have with this site. Again, it's patheic that no matter who owns the site it's keeps getting hacked. If you actually give a shit about this site I implore you to STOP SPENDING MONEY HERE. DeNA does not give a shit about this site outside of milking the users for money. There are other anime tracking sites that have come out over the years that are better than MAL but never got the traction since MAL was just first to really get big. Anilist and Kitsu come to mind. The speed it takes to get submissions approved is lightyears faster on anilist and if you read a lot of manga that isn't on MAL, use anilist instead.

But anyway, stop spending money on a site that can't pay for competent cybersecurity. I'm personally quite glad I use adblock on this site. There is clearly no cyber security budget and DeNA doesn't give a shit about trying to modernize the site. A multi-million(billion?) that can't keep it's site safe and up and running consistently. I swear this happens ever year. "BuT OtHeR CoMpAnIeS gEt HaCkEd!!!!111" yeah but it doesn't cause their sites to go down for days on a yearly basis. We, the users, need to demand better and use MAL's competitors if they continue to not be able to deliver. No one should have any confidence in MAL keeping their information safe.

So again, fuck DeNA for their clearly not giving a shit about protecting the site and only caring about money through subscriptions and deals they've made with various other companies to advertise and sell stuff through the site. They don't care about putting any money towards anything that would make the site better and more secure. I've been saying development/cyber security "team" but it's probably just a couple people with how bad they are at their job and how long it takes for this site to get even the slightest update. Just goes to show that every site truly loses it's soul when it sells out. And what have you gotten for it in the past 8 years? Certainly not a better site. Looks the same as it did 8 years ago. But hey dark mode, I guess.

To the Admins, stand up and demand your corporate overlords do better. And to all users: demand better from the admins so maybe they'll actually grow a spine. Or go somewhere else. Speak with your wallets. Stop giving DeNA money. Because i'm sure this will happen again. And it may be more than just anime datebases and user scores next time.

EDIT: Been getting messages about how MAL isn't a multi-billion dollar company when i'm obviously referring to DeNA, the company that owns MAL.

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/DENA-CO-LTD-6497537/news/DeNA-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-and-Fiscal-Year-2022-Financial-Results-43797184/

"DeNA reported full year IFRS revenue of 134.9 billion yen"

https://companiesmarketcap.com/dena/marketcap/

"As of May 2023 DeNA has a market cap of $1.70 Billion. This makes DeNA the world's 3937th most valuable company by market cap according to our data. The market capitalization, commonly called market cap, is the total market value of a publicly traded company's outstanding shares and is commonly used to measure how much a company is worth."
1st - Who Asked?
2nd - No one cares about your chatgpt ripoff explanation ( at least no true MAL users )
3rd - Touch some green grass outside
4th - You wasted your time for nothing here
5th - I will support MAl forever [ reason : it has almost all types of anime from early 19s to 20s which many sites don't even think about ].

Note: I tried using AniList and it only imported 181 animes out of 311 animes from MAL 🤣🤣 just showing how incompetent it is.
Antisocial-WeebMay 12, 2023 11:44 PM
May 12, 2023 11:41 PM

Jun 2020
Big Relief :)
May 12, 2023 11:46 PM
Jun 2015
StormSky92 said:

How many times is this now that MAL has gone down for an extended period of time because of a security breach? It's been many. I'm surprised this wasn't yet another multi-week one. I sure expected it from the start. It is truly patheic that the site continues to have issues with being hacked. What the hell is the site administrators even doing? Not giving a shit about cyber security, that's for damn sure. But what else should I expect from a site that just implied dark mode for the first time only a few months ago despite users asking for it for over 10 years. If it takes them 10 years to figure out dark mode, protecting the site from hackers is truly out their league.
what the hell are you talking about are you on here 24/7 that you notice these down time's you claim there is? the last time MAL went down  an extended amount of time and that lasted weeks was back in 2018! it's been 5 years since then. 
May 12, 2023 11:48 PM
Discord Moderator
Nov 2015
thank you for your hard work kina! 
May 13, 2023 12:02 AM
Nov 2021
StormSky92 said:
Pretyped this comment in notepad so I could copy/paste it in hopes of this getting as much attention as possible because fuck this site and fuck DeNA(owners of the site) in particule.

The users should absolutely be furious about this. The hackers may not have gotten any sensitive information this time but that may not be the case the next time this inevitable happens again. Maybe having some credit cards stolen would have caused some users to break up with this abusive relationship we all have with this site. Again, it's patheic that no matter who owns the site it's keeps getting hacked. If you actually give a shit about this site I implore you to STOP SPENDING MONEY HERE. DeNA does not give a shit about this site outside of milking the users for money. There are other anime tracking sites that have come out over the years that are better than MAL but never got the traction since MAL was just first to really get big. Anilist and Kitsu come to mind. The speed it takes to get submissions approved is lightyears faster on anilist and if you read a lot of manga that isn't on MAL, use anilist instead.

But anyway, stop spending money on a site that can't pay for competent cybersecurity. I'm personally quite glad I use adblock on this site. There is clearly no cyber security budget and DeNA doesn't give a shit about trying to modernize the site. A multi-million(billion?) that can't keep it's site safe and up and running consistently. I swear this happens ever year. "BuT OtHeR CoMpAnIeS gEt HaCkEd!!!!111" yeah but it doesn't cause their sites to go down for days on a yearly basis. We, the users, need to demand better and use MAL's competitors if they continue to not be able to deliver. No one should have any confidence in MAL keeping their information safe.

So again, fuck DeNA for their clearly not giving a shit about protecting the site and only caring about money through subscriptions and deals they've made with various other companies to advertise and sell stuff through the site. They don't care about putting any money towards anything that would make the site better and more secure. I've been saying development/cyber security "team" but it's probably just a couple people with how bad they are at their job and how long it takes for this site to get even the slightest update. Just goes to show that every site truly loses it's soul when it sells out. And what have you gotten for it in the past 8 years? Certainly not a better site. Looks the same as it did 8 years ago. But hey dark mode, I guess.

To the Admins, stand up and demand your corporate overlords do better. And to all users: demand better from the admins so maybe they'll actually grow a spine. Or go somewhere else. Speak with your wallets. Stop giving DeNA money. Because i'm sure this will happen again. And it may be more than just anime datebases and user scores next time.

EDIT: Been getting messages about how MAL isn't a multi-billion dollar company when i'm obviously referring to DeNA, the company that owns MAL.

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/DENA-CO-LTD-6497537/news/DeNA-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-and-Fiscal-Year-2022-Financial-Results-43797184/

"As of May 2023 DeNA has a market cap of $1.70 Billion. This makes DeNA the world's 3937th most valuable company by market cap according to our data. The market capitalization, commonly called market cap, is the total market value of a publicly traded company's outstanding shares and is commonly used to measure how much a company is worth."

> First: Get a life and touch some grass

> Second: Coding isn't easy, and neither is cyber security. When I use MAL I expect it sometimes to be hacked because it's such an old side.

> Third: Anilist and Kitsu are new tracking websites. Therefore they had access to new methods to prevent compromisation, unlike MAL which was and still is the biggest site. MAL being old had access to the technologies of that time and hence could prevent the hacking during those days but over time as the site grows it becomes difficult to add new technologies and scripts. The old scripts are not able to protect against new hacking methods. Anilist and other new sites have better security because they are new and have added new scripts over time. Admins and Mods also have to manage one of the world's largest communities and databases. It's not an easy job.

Fourth: If you have problems with MAL just switch over to Anilist or Kitsu.

> Fifth: If you think adding dark mode to a site this big is easy then you're wrong

> Sixth: I understand that you're concerned about data breaches which could have led to the stealing of credit card info but in order to purchase something or withdraw money there are security measures in place by the banks.
Security measures include OTP, CVV, online withdrawal/payment limit, bank's AI and security team that keeps a check on suspicious activities, etc.

> Seventh: MAL is not owned by DeNA. It's owned by Media Do. Update your own database first.

I will although not disagree with the fact that it is still concerning that the site lacks security

captaincool6333May 13, 2023 12:25 AM
May 13, 2023 12:03 AM

Feb 2016
InstantRamenKing said:
Zetsu_95 said:
Was getting PTSD from the maintenance shutdown from 2018 lmao. At least it wasn't long like back then 

heard the one back in 2018 lasted 6 months 💀
Nah it was about 2-3 months from what I remember
May 13, 2023 12:05 AM

May 2021
Yay MyAnimeList is back up again :D
Echidna best waifu :D
May 13, 2023 12:10 AM

Jan 2021
I'm glad it's back.
Roxy

May 13, 2023 12:11 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Thanks for getting the site up and running again.

Kind of felt weird not being able to use MAL. =)
May 13, 2023 12:18 AM
Oct 2022
StormSky92 said:

I aint reading all that
StormSky92 said:

I ain't reading all that
May 13, 2023 12:19 AM
May 2021
Well, my list looks intact, but my mal subscription is gone. Feels good
May 13, 2023 12:21 AM

Oct 2010
Took longer than it should have. Pretty bad security too, probably something simple that was overlooked I reckon. Live n learn.
May 13, 2023 12:21 AM

Feb 2009
captaincool6333 said:
> Fifth: If you think adding dark mode to a site this big is easy then you're wrong

It actually is very easy. I myself made few of them without access to original css file and with it it's even easier.
May 13, 2023 12:22 AM

Jan 2011
LainChads doing what FMAcels never had the guts to do.
May 13, 2023 12:29 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Glad the site is back! 

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
May 13, 2023 12:44 AM

Dec 2015
Good that not much happened - besides once down-time of a mid-scale duration and some loss of updates because of the rollback. Fortunately I only lost one entry and maybe a few forum posts - for Vinland Saga which I watched late (the recent episode). Then 2 more episodes that I had not added yet (need to make those updates later) that I watched when MAL was down.

I still remember the old ways when MAL was pretty new ... back then I even had an older account. Deleted it. Cause back then it really was bad - when the website could not handle the insanely quick growth in users. With the servers contantly lagging and downtimes and stuff like that.

The downtime from now is a minor inconvenience compared to the old times back then. Might only be a problem for people that watch a ton + post a ton in the forums ... who might have lost a lot from the rollback. Unless you watched a lot of different old series it should be easy to remember and update your list again. (For watching lots of episodes from 1 old series or only watching airing stuff.)
May 13, 2023 12:44 AM

Sep 2010
StormSky92 said:

MAL isn't even owned by DeNA anymore lol. Also MAL getting hacked isn't their fault, what's their fault is that it took way too long to recover because they don't have a dev team but just hire some freelancers when they need them. If anilist or kitsu were the biggest anime communities they would also get hacked all the time.

I don't know what you are complaining about here, MAL is free after all. If you want an anime list that is never down then make a txt file on your PC. MAL has it's own problems and they need to work on that or the site will eventually die, but what you are typing is just dumb.
May 13, 2023 12:49 AM

Jun 2020
I didn't expect that MAL would be working again so soon, I had read that MAL had problems in the past that took months to resolve.. so wasn't expecting..

Happy that MAL is back! Thankyou! :)
May 13, 2023 12:50 AM

Dec 2021
InstantRamenKing said:
Zetsu_95 said:
Was getting PTSD from the maintenance shutdown from 2018 lmao. At least it wasn't long like back then 

heard the one back in 2018 lasted 6 months 💀
Either way, everything went alright and somehow it wasn't a big problem to deal with
but wait, what happened to MAL in 2018 tho?
Say hello to Smol Arcueid! She's not scary!

Moriya Amano - Male - ENFJ-A - knows a bit of Japanese, I think...

Excuse me for having a name of two surnames...
May 13, 2023 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
The 25th anniversary date of Lain is on July 6th. Should have done it on that date to celebrate if you were going to do it.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 13, 2023 12:59 AM
SG-r03 Gungnir

Dec 2008
It's good to see the site being up again. I'm pretty sure you implemented some security settings so it will be harder for someone to hack the site again.
May 13, 2023 1:19 AM

Nov 2021
Hm. It's back.
May 13, 2023 1:32 AM

Apr 2022
eh it's all good, i guess. my pending friend req got deleted though and profile comments. guess they restored to an earlier time. glad it's back though.
May 13, 2023 1:46 AM
Sep 2015
Glad MAL is back, i mainly use the List feature, i have looked at other sites, but either they lack series, they don't have info about voice actors and such, and in general i don't like how it looks, i have used this site for a pretty long time, this being my 2nd account, since my old one i lost due to forgetting password, and my email back then got hacked, for MAL having 1 hack like this in 5 years is pretty good when you think of the size, you should look at how often sites of this size get hacked, for me MAL is the go to site for anything anime related, even tho i mainly use it to keep track of anime i am watching and keeping up with what comes out.
May 13, 2023 1:52 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm glad that MAL is back up! Thank you for the hard work! Back to updating the list it is.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 13, 2023 1:54 AM

Jan 2021
StormSky92 said:

Hell nah, I am not even forum user, I just went to read about this topic and what happened and discovered this sh*t load. Let me "briefly" explain something to you, buddy.

With all possible respect towards you, I didn't and don't plan to read entire thing, just went through it fast as I wanted to vomit even after first sentences:

1. App-security is something every app is struggling with. We are living in 21st century and same as we are getting new features, we are getting new threats. Patching everything is nearly impossible even for the biggest companies. Till this day you can literally yoink Microsoft's apps or even OS without paying. You can have party time with YouTube algorithm, not even talking about this amount of cracked games. I am not saying it's perfectly fine and everyone can excuse because of this, I am just saying that you obviously have no idea about this work field as you have no experience or knowledge. Would be probably nice to first study something about it and then judge.
  2. As from your aggressive tone with nonsense informations and from your signature, I assume you are just trying to promote Anilist for any cost and you hold, for some reason, huge grudge towards MAL. From my experience I can tell you I never experienced worse staff and worse community than around Anilist. You are basically typical average member of their community - arrogant, aggressive, judging everything and everyone from pedestal without prior knowldege or experience. All I can say that people like you disgust me :)
  3. I used to have account on MAL previously but I haven't been using it much, but from time to time I used to be active here. As from 2021 i created new account to simply list some of my anime I didn't forget yet (RIP my previous list). Can't say I would experience some issues before or after this date. It is true that I didn't use MAL as active as now but in last 2 years this is first big issue with MAL for me. And from dev's perspective it's absolutely understandable. 

As for the "last point", just that you had to "pretype" hateful comment says a lot about you. Dedication to just flame people you don't know about job you have no idea about. Slow quiet clap
And don't forget, because of people like you and because of Anilist's sh*t services a lot of us won't ever migrate their lists on Anilist. 

Thanks for your service, go touch the grass :)

May 13, 2023 1:57 AM
Mar 2016
Antisocial-Weeb said:
StormSky92 said:

1st - Who Asked?
2nd - No one cares about your chatgpt ripoff explanation ( at least no true MAL users )
3rd - Touch some green grass outside
4th - You wasted your time for nothing here
5th - I will support MAl forever [ reason : it has almost all types of anime from early 19s to 20s which many sites don't even think about ].

Note: I tried using AniList and it only imported 181 animes out of 311 animes from MAL 🤣🤣 just showing how incompetent it is.

using "who asked" as an argument, take this:

May 13, 2023 1:59 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, I also can't understand it. Why not create a powerful security system against these attacks? It is not so difficult.
May 13, 2023 2:06 AM

Mar 2013
I guess you could say this was a serial experiment
May 13, 2023 2:07 AM

Jul 2016
Thanks for getting things back online Kineta.
May 13, 2023 2:23 AM

May 2010
Sakana-san said:
I guess you could say this was a serial experiment

If it's serial, this means it will happen multiple times again??
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku

May 13, 2023 2:25 AM

Jul 2021
welp it back now! anyways Let's all love Lain xD
May 13, 2023 2:33 AM
Mar 2023
Dosantsu said:
It's a shame how many people feel the need to harass anime sites just to flex their muscles to distract the people from their fragile glass like heart.
i know right like come on its just an anime site😭😭and tbh in my opinion, myanimelist is much easier to use and looks much better than the other ones
                                 cacagorilla will take over
May 13, 2023 2:33 AM

Aug 2018
Thank you for the transparency. I appreciate MAL is open about this. A lot of sites would just shove this under the rug and would pretend nothing has happend, so I appreciate the open communication.
Timz0rMay 13, 2023 2:55 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
May 13, 2023 2:34 AM

Mar 2023
Did the newer comments before the hack just disappear? Some of my comments that i posted in forum games right before the site was down are now gone.
May 13, 2023 2:43 AM

May 2022
I'm happy, that MAL is back. My stupid ass couldn't watch new episodes without tracking them. (also didn't remember where did I left off, lol)

Also, big kudos for the team behind MAL. Security breaches are always hard, but it's part of operating anything, really. Good security does not mean that no one can hack in (because they will hack in eventually, it's like nature's law), but how quickly can you restore an operating state when the disaster happens. No matter how good your security is, you have to be prepared for the worst.

Restoration is not just pressing some buttons, restore the backup and all good. You have to investigate a lot of things: what the issue was? did the attacker left a backdoor? Do they still have a foothold? Could they use the same exploit anywhere else on the site? You have to then mitigate the issue, that could involve a lot of planning, then restoring the backup could be a whole other story. This all takes time no matter how skilled the team. And to be honest, I can't really image a super-huge team behind MAL, I've seen sites used by millions of people only to be developed and maintained by a handful of people. It really makes no sense to compare MAL to Google or anything on that scale, but compare it to similar sizes. I've seen cases, where they didn't even had backup to begin with.

I really value, that MAL were transparent on this issue, had clear communications and took their time to restore everything properly. That is what makes me be even more willing to stay here, because I know it when the next hack happens, I'll be properly informed about it, and operations will be restored eventually.

And to close my overly long rambling. I have to say, that no matter how they handle such an incident, there always will be that one guy who know it better, or just hating in general. So seeing hating comments is just as natural as anything else.

Thanks MAL, happy to see you back!
May 13, 2023 2:45 AM

Nov 2022
WOOOOOOOO! It's back baby!! :D
May 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Apr 2022
That’s why I also started my Shikimori account a month ago - you always have to have a plan B.
I am grateful to the moderators for the work done on troubleshooting. Myanimelist has existed for a long time and has many users. 
I wish further development and improvements of the site. Peace and love <3
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

410 by clane34 »»
3 hours ago

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

120 by jkim »»
Jul 25, 5:35 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by nanajp »»
Jul 20, 2:48 AM

» Forum Conversation View: Now available ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Aug 29, 2023

180 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jul 19, 6:04 PM

» Clubs Have a Brand-New Look—In-App!

Kineta - May 15, 2022

46 by YourFriendHolly »»
Jul 9, 9:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.