Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever felt dumber than your past self?

New
Sep 22, 2021 2:58 PM

Aug 2009
I feel like I've legit lost IQ points over the years. I think I was the most intelligent around like maybe 5 years ago. I was very sharp and had great writing skills and communication skills and I was pretty good and calculations too. I actually remember I was still on this board and making topics everyday and interacting and arguing my point even if I don't agree with those perspectives nowadays I was very confident and at least felt really competent back in the day. I was also writing anime articles on a bi-weekly basis for the site and working 2 jobs and I was always listening to philosophy and psychology podcasts in the gym. I felt legit really smart.

Nowadays I'm just not that sharp, I don't have that kind of confidence and sometimes I just don't care... I've been stuck in the same position at work for the last 3 yrs, I feel like I haven't moved forward at all and reading books is almost impossible with my trash attention span. I recently started going to the gym again and I lost so much strength. I have to do a eskills assessment for maths and language for a chance at a new job and I'm extremely unconfident about passing this.

Idk maybe its just depression settling in, but I just feel stupid sometimes. Maybe its a confidence thing, but I actually feel dumber. Well I guess that's enough of a pity party for me. Has anyone had a similar experience?
LoneWolfSep 22, 2021 3:01 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 22, 2021 3:07 PM

Jul 2019
Yes, 2 years ago i was writing things and working a lot, now i have a lot of free time and i play games more often.
English is not my main language
Sep 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
Subjectively, it seems to me that with age I became smarter (I began to understand many, many things that previously remained dark for me), but my mental skills have clearly become weaker. For example, if as a child I could not even worry about a meteorite falling, then with age I became very melancholy. Moreover, as I got older, my hippochondria and paranoia only increased.
Sep 22, 2021 4:22 PM

Mar 2021
I don't see that ever happening. My past self was dumb and awkward as shit.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Sep 22, 2021 4:26 PM

Jul 2007
My mind has done nothing but rot the last few years. Maybe it'll sort itself out if I find a sufficiently stimulating job, but I mostly expect it to just dwindle away until I'm an old git vegetating on a sofa huffing my own farts all day.
Sep 22, 2021 4:54 PM

May 2013
Totes.

Cant even play video games anymore because I suck too much at them. Cant do alot of basic school stuff either. Cant remember shit anymore.

Maybe it was the drugs or maybe I'm just getting older who knows.

β™‘ Harder Daddy β™‘
Sep 22, 2021 5:37 PM

Jul 2019
Luckily i never felt dumber than my past self. Because my past self can't decide shit.

This's my profile
This's my anime list
This's my reviews
🌸Would you be my friend?. I'd love to have an online friend.🌸
Sep 22, 2021 6:21 PM

Mar 2011
I feel like this as well and its pretty constant. I just can't seem to find past argumentative posts to make any accurate claim. The moments I do get a chance it does seem as if a different person similar to me was making comments.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 22, 2021 6:56 PM

Aug 2007
Yes, and in fact the concern of deteriorating brain health is what motivated me get into exercise on a consistent fashion. I realized it when pandemic started and had more time to self-reflect.

Just to add, this video (cannot find it at the moment) I watched last year helped me understand the major risk factors of brain fog and other brain functions associated with memory and comprehension, and also general anxiety and depression. The psychiatrist used the acronym BRIGHT MINDS to list those factors.

Acronym which I wrote on my notebook:
もろともに
ε“€γ‚Œγ¨ζ€γΈ
山摜

θŠ±γ‚ˆγ‚Šε€–γ«
ηŸ₯γ‚‹δΊΊγ‚‚γͺし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Sep 22, 2021 7:21 PM

Dec 2019
A lot of times, yes. I often feel dumber than my past self because my past self was so much more productive and creative, and actually did his work on time. But then I remember all the stupid shit I've done and said during those same years and realize that I've just stayed the same this entire time.
Sep 22, 2021 7:32 PM

Jan 2020
Every now and then. Though for the most part, I think I'm usually smarter nowadays

Sep 22, 2021 7:38 PM

Jul 2020
yes that is what i've been thinking this past few months. i felt that my IQ has been
decreasing over the years.

for instance , i was really good at spelling and written works but compare to it now, it is below my average skills than before.

One of my teachers said that you might experience these kind of thing because of too much hours consuming on social media of games and those words hits right on the spot . since i play alot of computer games during my higschool days.
Sep 22, 2021 8:01 PM

Mar 2021
yeah

quarantine or the pandemic in general made me a lot dumber
Sep 23, 2021 4:34 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Definitely. Up until a few years ago I thought I could do anything if I just put my heart, soul and mind into it.

I'm trying not to get whisked into the whole FOMO thing but dang is it hard sometimes.
Sep 23, 2021 6:48 AM

Aug 2020
Nah, I'm still young so I think I'm just getting smarter

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Sep 23, 2021 7:19 AM

Mar 2012
I've been feeling like that ever since I got a job, I'm starting to forget all the concepts I learnt in college and the only thing I have any practice with is limited to a small section of php, js and mysql which I have to use for my job. I'm not only getting dumber but lazier too.
Sep 23, 2021 9:11 AM

Jan 2021
Yes.
But that’s also because I like to overthink a lot.
Sep 24, 2021 9:32 AM

Sep 2015
I think you were just more motivated in the past, you say you don't agree with a lot of points you used to confidently have. Maybe that means that you are actually smarter now and have lost some ego you used to have.
Sep 24, 2021 9:36 AM

May 2021
Sometimes. I think it is due to anxiety, it is a constant feeling since I entered Uni that doesnt go away even if Im proved wrong everytime. I just feel a constant pressure to not be dumber because I have goals that are subject to such quality

Sep 24, 2021 9:57 AM

Nov 2015
Yes I feel like my mind has been rotting the past couple of years because I don't see the point (and lack motivation) in seeking out a stimulating environment.
Sep 24, 2021 10:31 AM

Mar 2021
Posting in a hurry from my phone all the time (autocorrect and being lazy to edit posts) and barely reading any books anymore (just reading posts, blogs ans articles online other than newspapers) has definitely diminished my spelling and grammar. At least I still consult the dictionary and thesaurus. I’ve not been as creative (mainly music production) since being more active online but I guess that being active online has made me more creative in the way that I share and express myself to the world (forum sets and sharing music).
Sep 24, 2021 10:32 AM

Jul 2020
In one word the thing you're experiencing now is "burnout".

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 24, 2021 11:08 AM

Jan 2020
You lack direction in your career, relationships or overall life purpose.
You have difficulties making decisions.
You are struggling to figure out what’s missing.
You lack motivation.
You struggle with fatigue, stress, anxiety or depression.
You sense the tension between pursuing your dreams and settling down.
You worry that your peers have everything figured out.
You fear getting left behind.

Welcome to the quarter-life crisis!
"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Sep 24, 2021 12:37 PM

Oct 2012
Yes. When I was 16, I won an award for my outstanding philosophy essay, and now at 25, I don't care anymore... about anything... I just want a peaceful calm life without thinking too much. Casual Stoicism. That's where I'm at (or stuck).
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Sep 24, 2021 2:06 PM

Oct 2015
I don't think I am dumber per se, but I do have a more accurate understanding of my intelligence and its bounds, so to speak. Which is always a good thing.
Sep 24, 2021 9:01 PM
May 2021
Yes but I don’t think I really am because my past self used to be stupider and did loads more weird shit than me right now…
Sep 25, 2021 9:25 AM

Feb 2018
My past self is incredibly stupid so nah, but I do feel like I've lost IQ points growing up still...
Sep 25, 2021 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
For some years, but my ability to focus, to study and remember suffered from me having severe depression and ptsd symptoms.
When I had better phases, and especially since I'm in therapy, it became much better.

I took three professional IQ tests in my life and let's put it like that ... when I felt well and didn't have migraine that day, my results have been much better, than in the middle of a depression and suffering from migraine too.
I've felt so relieved getting those results lol

LoneWolf said:
I feel like I've legit lost IQ points over the years. I think I was the most intelligent around like maybe 5 years ago. I was very sharp and had great writing skills and communication skills and I was pretty good and calculations too. I actually remember I was still on this board and making topics everyday and interacting and arguing my point even if I don't agree with those perspectives nowadays I was very confident and at least felt really competent back in the day. I was also writing anime articles on a bi-weekly basis for the site and working 2 jobs and I was always listening to philosophy and psychology podcasts in the gym. I felt legit really smart.

Nowadays I'm just not that sharp, I don't have that kind of confidence and sometimes I just don't care... I've been stuck in the same position at work for the last 3 yrs, I feel like I haven't moved forward at all and reading books is almost impossible with my trash attention span. I recently started going to the gym again and I lost so much strength. I have to do a eskills assessment for maths and language for a chance at a new job and I'm extremely unconfident about passing this.

Idk maybe its just depression settling in, but I just feel stupid sometimes. Maybe its a confidence thing, but I actually feel dumber. Well I guess that's enough of a pity party for me. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Stress and mental problems of all types can have that effect, but you are not stupid. It only looks like that for you, because your ability to focus suffers from stress and co.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think we will have Terminator-like robots or will we have Detroit Become Human-like robots in the future?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

3 by deg »»
22 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

58 by MalchikRepaid »»
36 minutes ago

» Vent thread. ( 1 2 )

Spooks - Oct 7, 2013

90 by Mirania »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» Anime convention stories

PAPOrr - Apr 19, 2023

11 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.