Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 15, 2020 9:40 PM

Aug 2016
Kimurah said:

Please elaborate how is the execution a problem.

All of those schemes are unrealistic to some extent, but this last one was unbelievable stupid. If you think the resolution (fake building on an island) was well done okay, but then you lack critical reflection.

Kimurah said:

The filmaker from the first arc had actual passion for his job creating movies despite his drugdealing sidebusiness, even Edamura managed to understand his creativity (even if it was all part of making him fall for the scheme)

The art critic from the third arc had a good eye for art and skills for people like Thomas (even though also he claimed that he was using Thomas just for that, forgeries, but it can be taken as him just lying to get rid of Thomas afterwards)

Lastly the sheik from the 2nd arc is probably the weakest in likeness, but still in my books he's not some despicable shonen villian that murders his enemies in cold blood like the chinese mobsters.

I would still not call them likeable. Just because someone got passion or "good eyes" doesn't make them likeable at all. I agree that they are not shōnen villains type of bad guys, but still far away from being likeable. I know the makers of GP want to connect the first schemes with this one and its fits all so perfectly even if it was ridiculous.

Kimurah said:

Back to the thread, you still dodged the question. Do you seriously believe that any piece of media with an open ending is made purpousely for a possible sequel? Do you think something like even great movies Your Name for instance, needs a sequel? that the audience is that dense that can't fill in the gaps?

Comparing a movie with a TV/anime show is always problematic, because the specific situation is very different. So no, open ending must not automatically mean that they had a sequel in mind. But this is still business after all, if the makers of GP sees that they could make more money with a (possible) sequel they're going to do it (which i assume here, that's why the last two episodes feels weird).

Kimurah said:

Again, you missed the motif of the series. The original crew was formed by Dorothy where even Laurent was originally used as an accesory. Their first contact could had gone completely wrong if the guy she was scamming would had pulled a real weapon to deal with both of them. The risk was always a factor that made their escapades thrilling.

All I'm saying is that there's the posibility taking into account Dorothy's love for dangerous situations and relatively young age for bad judgement.

It's called bad writing. The schemes worked/didn't work because the writers wrote those cases like that. Enjoyable yes, realistic? No.
I say it again, this show is not as "deep" as you think it is. Yes there is a motif for Laurent doing those schemes and for Edamura to get back at Laurent, but because of the writing especially in this last case, it feels too unnatural (at least for me). That's why Dorothy "coming back from the dead" feels like an ass pull.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Oct 16, 2020 1:44 AM
Mar 2020
I think the story would have been better without dorthy beeing alive and the past victims beeing on board, but This isnt enough to drop the score for me.
Oct 16, 2020 6:52 AM
Apr 2020
It feels like the ending went in a flash, or should I said "rushed". But anyhow it's a great ending and a overall awesome anime. I think this is my first time watching these kind of anime, and it really grind me literally in every episode. All in all, 9/10 for me 👌
Oct 16, 2020 11:20 AM
Apr 2016
A satisfying explanation, I guess. I personally don't feel like they did a good job at connecting everything—and I mean episode 1 to the last one—to the ending (since they conspicuously tried doing that). If you put that aside though, each case is solid and pretty nice - the final one goes down in quality at the end in my opinion, but still pretty good.
Oct 16, 2020 1:13 PM
manga lover<3<3

Dec 2018
At first, I thought it was straightforward, but in the end, it was exciting. Each of the characters was fascinating, and their pasts were carefully portrayed, and I could relate to them.

I liked the way the story was put together. The process of becoming a trusted partner has been a wonderful one. I was a fan of the screenwriter's work, and it's as good as it gets. I hope for a sequel.
Oct 18, 2020 6:08 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
ASLDKJLSKFD I USED to be of the "IF YOU'RE DEAD THEN STAY DEAD" Clan until very recent changes in belief within my life. So if I watched this any sooner, then I might have said, "I usually don't like people coming back from the "dead", but..."
But actually we're so used to people "coming back to life" in this anime that it's no biggie. BUT what I thought was a death flag was actually a non-death flag the entire time. She kissed her ring and said "protect me" and in the end, it did. I'm actually pretty fine with this and kinda even thought to myself, "Hmm, what if Dorothy washes up on an island somewhere alive". I'm actually pretty glad.

I did have a lot of fun with this series. Heck, it made me stop what I was supposed to be doing and now I have to change my whole schedule around, ha hah! I was always thinking, "Uh oh. This is the one that's going to go wrong" and thankfully things would fix themselves. In the end, it yanks you around but still manages to make you feel okay and good in the end.

To be honest... just to be completely honest... like really really honest, aside from like Nadia, I hardly get to see black girls as an important love interest so that alone kinda caught my heart off guard. ;__; Thank you.

I did like the characters in general, really. The designs were fine, the backstories were fine, and I generally like what they did with them.

There were some things that I wasn't fond of. For example, I kinda thought it was a little crappy of Laurent to drag Makoto into things when he didn't want to (as far as we knew). Like considering Dorothy's "death" you would think he'd leave it be if someone wanted out of that life, right? But also, it's just kinda cruddy in general to drag people into scams when they want to live a lawful life. Like it wasn't even Laurent convincing him, it was more like Makoto would find himself already too deep in it before he'd realize that he was a part of it. Like dang, Laurent, leave the dude alone.;; And then ya know I guess some things were a liiiittle too convenient, BUT I took it in Lupin III-esque stride. I can't sit here and say, "MMMMMM I can't suspend belief" when I'm already a Lupin fan. Like who would I even be, ha hah! Overall though, it's no biggie.

Additionally, I get to list this as my 1,000th anime. Eyy! I'm honored to do so.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 18, 2020 11:46 AM

Sep 2019
I dont know why people ship Edamura with Abby. Edamura is hopeless virgin who spent 2 (I think) years in prison, while Abby "traveled" the world. They’re totally incompatible.

Why the fuck they are in the good terms with Sam, Coleman and that first guy. It doesn’t make any sense. Honestly villains in this anime were retards. Yakuza could just google if arabian princess was kidnapped or something. What would happened if not Edamura but somebody from chairmans people shot his dad. What if they checked weapon and they would find out that was fake?

Dorothy is miraculously alive and in Taiwan. WTF? How could she survive it? How? She didn’t float to the surface, because she was unconscious, she even lost her memory.

I was hoping that Edamura would pop off, but nothing like that happened. First 3 arcs 9, last arc 4. Too many illogical inconsistencies.
Oct 18, 2020 6:27 PM
Jun 2019
I'm kinda disappointed that they didn’t kill anyone and all this was just a game.Again.
I was waiting for some true actions, true human feelings, but even in the final episode they turned a good end of the story into boring and not very original one.

They should let Makoto betray Louran cause lonely Makoto’s mother’s death without her husband it’s his fault.
Eh..This what happens in anime usually,they just can’t push it to the end, they can’t risk.
They usually make a happy end and this is usually not the best choice.

1-14 episode : 8/10
14-23 episode : 5/10
Oct 19, 2020 4:58 AM

Feb 2017
Finally finished the show. It was great. Wish more anime originals like this would come out. In my opinion this is the best show Wit has done so far. Felt very refreshing and it is definitely the highlight of the year. Love how everything came together in its place and got wrapped up in the end.
Oct 20, 2020 4:44 AM
Jul 2019
nonsense
looks the show was about defrauding viewers
Why do they have to keep acting after the mission done and they already getting the money
HhgufOct 20, 2020 4:47 AM
Oct 20, 2020 7:01 AM

Mar 2016
They really ruined everything with this ending, didn't they ?
The worst in all this is that they had a good one ! The "fake ending" of the previous episode....
God I'm so disappointed, they even became "budy" with the previous antoganists ffs

It was not a very serious and realistic show to begin with, but with this episode they really went to far...
imperator69Oct 20, 2020 7:09 AM
Tachikoma saves the day !!!
Oct 22, 2020 12:50 AM

Apr 2015
Does anyone know the name of the song at the end of the episode? When they are showing their lives after the arc?
Oct 22, 2020 4:43 PM

Jun 2012
Wtf... I thought iit would be better... so they are friends now with those 3 they scammed? that's so stupid, that it's beyond me... One was kingpin that got aspiring actresses addicted to drugs, slaved them and discard them. The art guy and the race guy were crooks, so why ''befriend'' them? The last villian was just so underwhelming too. Well at least it was a fun and different ride, might as well give it an 8.
Oct 23, 2020 12:53 AM
Apr 2017
This anime was definitely satisfying, loved every arc up until ep14.

The last arc felt dragged out, and rushed at the same time.

I hated how laurent and ozaki acted cool in the end even with all the mess they made.

Definitely liked the abby scene in the end, there's some kind of contact between her and MC now.

Still a very good anime tho, i just hope there will be an OVA or something for more closure.
Oct 23, 2020 10:24 PM

Aug 2015
This anime have more asspulls than a shonen. Even after I tried to just turn my brain off it just doesn´t work. There is so much bullshit that none of it makes sense. Like, it´s so dumb how the series just tries to use huge shock values to tell the audience "Look, this is all amazing, even if none of it makes a lick of sense".

The last arc is just terrible. The show becomes more and more predictable by the end, because yes, if no one died, was caught, even identified or just betrayed for the last 20 episodes, why would it happen in the last one? Of course Dorothy was going to be alive, as everyone else.

Making the "bad" dudes all reunite was also nonsensical, because yeah, no one is going to make a demand of anything of the sort if they are robbed millions of dollars by a group of people that can do anything, always have ways around any place, and what bother me the most is that they always use their names, always look the same, and no one seem to know them.

Finally, how come Liu and Suzuka fell for a plan that was identical to the one made years ago? (also another thing, you would never put someone who just came out of nowhere to be your translator or right hand, companies don´t work like that, even if they are for shady business).

The first arc was good (even if the ending is BS) but is the only one where you feel tense, because you don´t know they are going to reuse the same cliches 5 more times, the Cynthia one was also cool, and felt the most grounded, but everything else is just non sensical and full of ass pulls.

4/10. Great visuals though.
Oct 28, 2020 8:33 AM
Feb 2016
Man that was fun. After conning 3 people the pattern starts to seem obvious. Its good they ended at 23 episodes.
Oct 29, 2020 11:18 AM

Aug 2018
Just a quick question, if they managed to put to sleep both of the leaders and their subordinates and bring all of them to this island while they were still asleep, why not steal their money directly while they're asleep then fly away without doing this whole scene with betrayal, fake weapons etc ? It doesn't make any logical sense apart from being cool, which I enjoy, but still a stain on this serie's writing.
This, alongside Dorothy being alive, will have a really negative impact upon the GP re-watchibility, now that we know everything was staged for this arc and the first 3 cases were just for Makotos training AND their "villains" are now good guys, watching them again will just feel boring and make us feel we lost all the emotional value.

That's why even if it's a bold move, I 100% bet on a sequel, Wit Studio gave up on SNK, they have no plan for second season of either Vinland Saga or Magus Bride as for now. Production I.G is still busy doing several Haikyuu seasons and some other things but they don't have a lot of big projects planned apart from FGO movie so it would not be hyper-theoritical to think about a second season also knowing Netflix producing the show. (Their lineup already being announced with a lot of new anime originals, manga adaptations and sequels is a clue in that direction, a second season would more likely be out in a year or 2 than tomorrow)
Also this last call from Laurent was too much of a tease for nothing to happen, he straight up calls Makoto for another heist revolving around US elections or some shit, he clearly haven't given up on the con-artist way and even if the epilogue suggest the others did, it is clearly blurry, Abby's just climbing some hills, Cynthia takes care of one of the child and Makoto is just in a café to chill. Laurent could bring the squad back or just act in a duo with Makoto and new pals anyway.

Second season, OAV, movie or nothing, time will tell.

Nov 3, 2020 11:17 PM

Nov 2020
Masterpiece. Thats it thats my review
Nov 5, 2020 4:38 AM
Sep 2009
I felt like I wanted to write my thoughts after binge watching all 23 episodes in one go and not sleeping the entire night.

I think my favourite arc was either the first or the third.
First because we were still ignorant and everything felt fresh and new. It never occured to me that cynthia was a conman either and I'm so glad Tom got reunited with his dad. Lot of good surprises and I was shocked about the death but kept telling myself it couldn't be and I'm happy it was all fake haha.
I love how Makoto finds himself and his empathy and humanity throughout these cases. How he stays strong to his beliefs and how he still enjoys the cons while not believing in killing and trying to understand the other part.
He is shown to help both Abby and Cynthia resolving some threads of the past and I really like that.

Arc 3 was soft and romantic, which I really liked. I loved the young and innocent cynthia and I really adore that we got the connection to Chris her friend during her younger days. I like that Cynthia's island was their new hideout for arc 1 and 2 and would honestly have loved seeing them having some break time just being there, like a breather episode if you want.

For arc 2 I know someone said Abby's PTSD disappeared too fast but I think she wanted closure and we don't know if she is completely okay but I think she is just processing it and learning to move on. She still keeps the medal from her dancing recital and that alone is something I can appreciate compared to Laurent who threw the ring away and let go completely. Which is also why if there is a sequel I hope Laurent's and Dorothy's relationship will be like that of Cynthia and Thomas. They both let go and moved on. But tbh I am not sure I even want Dorothy and Laurent to meet again. I feel like it would be anti climatic. Personally I'm neutral about Dorothy being alive. Like dead? Okay. Alive? Okay.. I hope her memories don't return and she can settle down with her Taiwanese parents. Though I guess the ring getting to her and her not speaking mandarin at the end could hint otherwise.

I wish we could have seen Abby dance again or her thoughts of dancing, we know she still is very active doing sport but I wanted to see more of her soft side. I think Edamura and Abby has a cute relationship, not sure if I see it as completely romantic, but for sure that Abby have opened up a little to Edamura and I wouldn't be against them slowly growing closer - like when will he show Abby around Japan!!

For arc 4 well I liked it but a lot of things didn't sit very well with me. I wanted the previous scums to stay scums. I wanted Edamura to feel okay about the scams to justify that they only did it toward "bad" people and which is why Edamura was slightly more okay with it after returning all the money he conned and went to prison. He even said no one deserves to be conned. so that part was really random and disappointing. We knew he was plotting something because he was on his phone after oz confessed everything but it being the previous scums felt so random. Or at least if it was cassano only it would have been better I think since they did bond a little over movies but the other two??? Nope just no. Even with a forgiving heart that was too random... if anything instead of sam I really wanted to see Clark.. like can we get a celebration with him instead. Just like how in arc 2 we see Lui when after the mission is complete.

I also wish Edamura did a full fledge scam on Laurent but I guess it is "justified" with how at the end of arc 1 that is how Laurent pulled the strings to win the con at the end by changing the original plan, by being the last person laughing.
Although a con I believe Edamura really said what he was feeling at the end but still wanted to pull off the con as intended (so yeah wish it was a cooler con but oh well). He did have a habit of changing the plan at the end like with the snow of London and the race letting Lui fly instead of Abby.. but well I wanted him to pull of something bigger.

Something I was really unhappy about which someone mentioned too was the children human trafficking part was just pushed aside after dorothy was introduced... like even if they were saved I wanted to see it happen or well explained. It was lame that it was all for "revenge" imo and I wish we could have seen Edamura being relieved after seeing the children safe. Especially considering how much it was weighting down on him. Also a plus if we could have seen the chn and jpn yakuza lose it all like we have previously. Or maybe just a what happened after? Did Liu realise Laurent was connected to Dorothy .. did Yakuza woman make up with her son and retire??
Either case all of arc 4 felt super rushed. Also I wish we had seen Cynthia pick up kawain (?) The kid and how she managed to talk him into going with her considering the children just thought they were gonna die and unwilling to follow and eat.

I wanted to see Ozaki (oz) talk with Edamura's mom too... I feel like that was such an important scene which we were robbed. Like I don't doubt he was good and on the conmans' side but I just felt like Edamura in the dark even seeing it all. I wanted to see Edamura's mom smiling while talking to the dad, and also maybe the dad talking with Makoto, having him think back on the wizard gashapon like he has been holding on to the cat. I don't feel like Makoto got real closure, he went to retrieve the cat figure too later and all these gashapon kind of resemble his mind and feelings imo.

Also it might be hard to believe a single person's word can change your mind, but if anyone it was definitely the right choice to have Abby be the one. I don't know how much of it was act but I also believe Makoto did find a bit of peace staying with the yakuza which reminded him of his mom. The struggle must have been really difficult and personally I am okay with him not staying with the yakuza because I don't want anyone to replace the feelings he held toward his mom.

It was a good anime. I couldn't stop watching but still feel like it has some holes and things that needed attention which the staff just chose not to include. I am not unhappy but not super happy either.. I just feel like I watched something incomplete and now there is that feeling of something is missing.
I wonder who Laurent called at the end and I would like to see a continuation but hope they will pace things or maybe fix some loose ends from the last arc. I am also interested in seeing more of Cynthia and the kid if they make a sequel~
Nov 6, 2020 1:34 PM

Nov 2019
i applaud at the Great Pretender for being so great

Wow, an anime where one mistake could lead to your death but nonone died, no-one

freaking enjoyed Wizard of the East, it was a nice ark........

SAyonara Laurent, Abby,Cynthia & Edamone ..
Nov 6, 2020 7:24 PM

Jul 2020
Wrapped up pretty nicely. The whole explanation about how they schemed those two boss were done great I think.

Overall this anime is entertaining.
Nov 7, 2020 8:53 AM

Mar 2016
The flashback from another perspective was funny. They did a good job making us notice the anomalies throughout the episodes, so that we wouldn't feel like the show treated us like idiots when they revealed the actual story.

Wow, all of the scums in this series were friends the whole time. ahaha

I keep shipping Makoto and Laurent. Anyway, Laurent threw his ex's lucky charm, and held onto Makoto's, so I am going to take it to mean he has moved on and now loves his Edamame.

The scene at the end felt really unnecessary. Still, I will interpret it as Dorothy getting a chance to restart a new life, and not as a potential sequel. The ending was good. This doesn't need to be continued.

I had watched this anime because of two reasons only.
1) The art was nice
2) I got a crush on Makoto after seeing him.
I never thought this anime would be so entertaining. I was half expecting that I'd end up dropping it. The score was pretty bad at first.
Nov 7, 2020 11:49 PM

Sep 2013
This anime had some good ideas, some cool moments, some interesting backstories. But poor storytelling prevented it from becoming a memorable work.

High production value is a plus point at least.
Nov 8, 2020 5:40 PM

May 2016
The backgrounds in this were so ugly. random colors? who thought that was a good idea? but it was good overall.
Nov 9, 2020 3:24 PM

Apr 2020
Fuck. This anime was a masterpiece.

Although the post credit scene was unnecessary, I still find the ending to be god tier and one I didn't see coming at all.
Nov 17, 2020 2:35 AM
Dec 2017
ZeroDreaM said:
Was a great show overall, also could some1 enlighten me who the President of USA was because I legit couldn't remember

I might not be most accurate but I think it's that hero from the Die Hot series that Edamura was watching before he went to meet Eddie.
Nov 18, 2020 10:59 PM
Sep 2014
The first arc of this show was the best 4 episodes I've ever seen in anime. They probably could've even been standalone movie by itself. Unfortunately, for me, the beginning set the expectations impossibly high and the latter arcs never quite hit the same ceiling again.

The last arc felt a little rushed, story was a bit messy & lacking, side characters weren't expanded upon, and throw in a few poorly animated still scenes on top of that makes me yearn for the small details that could've been. Also the Dorothy reveal felt cheap.

Still, I absolutely loved it, art was gorgeous- wish I can give it a perfect score
9/10
TakeCr3ditNov 18, 2020 11:10 PM
Nov 23, 2020 5:53 AM

Jan 2016
That last arc was so shit it convinced me to rate this show from an 8 to a 7. How disappointing. Sometimes LESS is MORE. 1st arc and 3rd arc were god tier though.
DhaarokNov 23, 2020 6:14 AM
Nov 23, 2020 5:55 AM

Jan 2016
Sonalisa said:
The last case was a bit cringe-worthy. Really wanted Edamura to betray them at the end, THAT would be a real twist ! Also I don't know why they bothered to bring back the people they scammed, and the fact that they are totally okay with helping people who scammed them is beyond me

and what's the point of killing a person if they're just going to bring her back 🤦

well, all in all it kept me interested

Edamura killing Laurent and his dad would have been really good. But this is Japanese written so of course it was going to be dogshit.
Nov 25, 2020 5:33 PM

May 2020
My brain turned to mush after this case, too many dots to connect for my only braincell
Great ending, and while I sniff sum' season 2 scent, as it is, I don't think it needs one, it rounded everything up really nicely with some mystery sprinkled

But yeah the 3 scammed dudes showing up like good ol' pals reuniting after graduation for some beer? Nah, that felt too off
degandaganNov 25, 2020 5:38 PM

Skibbidy skib skib skaa
say "NO" to fanservice
Nov 25, 2020 6:48 PM

May 2016
Honestly, loved it. Came in for something chill came out with feels. 9/10, marathoned on the last 9 episodes this afternoon. Unrealistic? Whatever, I had fun and aaaaahhhhh yes the feels. Lots of feels. Still having feels right this moment. S2 or movie iduncare after that ending w/ Dorothy, can’t just end it like that.
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Nov 25, 2020 6:56 PM

Feb 2018
Binged the final arc now that is came to US Netflix, and it was a fun ride overall, but man that final scene had me rolling my eyes.

Not only was she alive (when the last arc was more or less about avenging her), but somehow a fish ate that pendant, the old couple that took her in caught the fish, found it in its stomach, and gave it to her? Come onnnnnn bro. Lol no way
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Nov 26, 2020 11:19 AM
Jan 2019
Fun experience overall, but the last arc kinda blew it. I can see Clark and Eddie joining the ruse, but Coleman and Sam? Ok. Laurent got to save Oz, Abby and Cynthia after all three were shot, *and* no Yakuza saw the boat? Hm. The pulled the ruse by just drugging the Yakuzas and Chinese with no major trouble whatsoever? Ehh. Makoto's just ok with Laurent's B.S. after dealing with an experience so traumatic (which included thinking he *killed his own father*) he went full child-trafficking Yakuza? Come on. Dorothy's still alive? Jeez.

I mean, it's fine, I knew what to expect from this type of anime. But when there are no stakes at all, it just feels kinda cheap.

Honestly, Makoto actually going berserk in the negotiation debacle would've been more interesting. :p
Nov 26, 2020 11:26 AM

May 2017
I have to admit, I found Dorothy being alive at the end a huge cop-out. I mean come on, she was shot in the chest by a real gun and drowned. This made no sense.

Also I think if Makoto's going berserk at the end was real, it would have been a more gutsy move. However, I can't see him siding with child traffickers. That yakuza bitch needed a bullet in the head.
Nov 26, 2020 8:04 PM
Aug 2019
kaibeara said:
The show sure was fun to watch and creative in terms of the theme and color palette, however I wish the ending was better.

I think the ending would have been very satisfying if Edamura had gone along with his own revenge plan, especially since he had multiple times said he wanted to live peacefully after getting out of prison and all. I think it would have been a badass character development for him, but also a good end to his scamming career, considering the tease in ep 21 and 22.

I also felt like the whole final arc was all for nothing because Dorothy is still alive, but oh well.

COMPLETELY agree with you, I was so pumped for Edamura and then was pretty disappointed to be honest. Would have been badass
Nov 28, 2020 11:30 AM

Oct 2019
I'm really mad and disappointed that they made up and became friends with the 3 scumbags from previous arcs, other than that it was an amazing ride
Nov 28, 2020 11:14 PM
May 2015
Absolutely loved this anime, man... so much about it. However..

-Not too sure how I felt about bringing back Eddie, Sam and James. They actually had no significance.
-Edamura betraying them would've mad for an interesting plot-twist, but I think the feeling that he was going to betray them was enough for him. It wouldn't have made sense anyway given his character. It's not that easy for him to just sever a tie like that.
-I hate that they showed Dorothy alive at the end, bro. We finally saw the consequences of what happens when you make a mistake, and then suddenly she's still alive and her ring just magically washes ashore to where she resides. lmfao

Despite all this I still actually very much loved this anime. I loved the animation; I loved that the character had personalities; I thought the plot was pretty unique. I stayed hooked the whole time, and I especially love that all the main con artists ending up connecting.

I was very prepared to 10/10 this anime, but the last episode had some ??? things pop up for me.

Also everyone keeps saying they could've taken the money and ran off... 1) That's not enough to satisfy a con artist. You should know by now that they love to milk their stunts (look how much fun they had shooting those guns and acting like fools lol) out 2) Scheming these people became much more than just money given the history between everyone involved, barring Edamura of course.
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Nov 28, 2020 11:58 PM

Jul 2016
damn. i wanna see a season 2 but i don't know if it's actually needed
Nov 29, 2020 5:51 AM

Sep 2019
I didn’t like the last case much but it was still good. I got double baited in the end, I would’ve been more surprised if one of them actually killed the other and someone in the main cast didn’t make it out alive. I really liked the first 3 cases and the last one was alright, so I’m giving 8/10 to Great Pretender.
Nov 30, 2020 2:56 PM
Nov 2020
FYI, came to seek confirmation on the President. Those who are wondering about that little bit: The actor in the bad action movie is 100% meant to be a portrayal/caricature of the actor Steven Seagal. If you listen to the english dub the VA even impersonates Seagal's voice.

I think it is a way to goof on Trump without actually doing so. Seagal is widely known for being an action actor in some old pretty bad movies, reality tv star, and is full of himself; and is a fan of Trump.
Nov 30, 2020 5:03 PM

Jun 2012
gr33nm4n101 said:
FYI, came to seek confirmation on the President. Those who are wondering about that little bit: The actor in the bad action movie is 100% meant to be a portrayal/caricature of the actor Steven Seagal. If you listen to the english dub the VA even impersonates Seagal's voice.

I think it is a way to goof on Trump without actually doing so. Seagal is widely known for being an action actor in some old pretty bad movies, reality tv star, and is full of himself; and is a fan of Trump.

It's a parody... and Seagal is considered on of the best action actors of his time as well as most of his movies in action genre. And why do you Americans bring politics to everything good god, there's tons of other movie references could it be that Ralph Macchio is a Trump/Biden supporter too?
Nov 30, 2020 6:23 PM
Nov 2020
Snaita said:
gr33nm4n101 said:

It's a parody... and Seagal is considered on of the best action actors of his time as well as most of his movies in action genre. And why do you Americans bring politics to everything good god, there's tons of other movie references could it be that Ralph Macchio is a Trump/Biden supporter too?

Lol. Hard disagree on him being even in the top 15 action actors. Among critics, his movies are considered trash. Also, I didn't write the episode, man, obviously it's political, Laurent was at a U.S. Presidential inauguration, lol. Not political. I thought it was a very obvious but subtle dig at Trump. Maybe not, but considering he's the only U.S. president that has been a reality TV star, and most people see both seagal and him as jokes...well, it isn't hard to connect the dots
Dec 2, 2020 3:36 PM
Nov 2016
Good anime, but too much positive vibes. They should have taken the obvious fooling routes like with case 1, this felt like total bullshit destroying immersion.
Dec 2, 2020 6:25 PM
Mar 2019
This show became one of my favorites. Overall I’ll give it 9/10
Dec 4, 2020 5:34 AM
Sep 2007
Bad guys on deserted island... It will take a while before they return to civilization. Considering their involvement in child trafficking, they probably would want to stay out of civilized world as long as possible, unless they want to spend rest of their lives in prison.

Previous bad guys are back, and collaborating with heroes, yay. So, the previous actions were just preparations for this one? Might be.

LOL @ the shooting scene. Either Abbie was out of ammo, or has no idea how the rifle works. Cythia surely was having a good time.

Amnesiac Dorothy after credits... Looks like there's gonna be a sequel.

One of the best anime of the season and definently the best one on Netflix so far. It deserves it's 9/10.
korsarzDec 4, 2020 6:09 AM
Dec 4, 2020 6:05 AM
Apr 2016
This anime actually bored me. I thought it would be awesome, showing the team con people in different ways, but nope, they reuse the exact same setup and payoff for every case. Makoto tries to live a normal life, gets conned into a shady business, realises it's shady and then Laurent comes in and tells him they are setting up a con. Hijinks ensue but nobody gets hurt and they get the money.

There is literally no consequences or stakes in this entire anime, hell, the only person who was shown to have died for real ends up coming back but with amnesia. The guys they conned are now their friends and totally cool with the people that destroyed their (evil) lives forever. It's dumb.

at least it looks and sounds good i suppose, but the plot is absolutely ridiculous and not worth the high score it has currently at all.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Dec 4, 2020 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
This anime is all over the place, but I enjoyed the ride. I like the characters, I like the international angle. Case 4 really wasn't my thing, but I still enjoyed most of the scenes. I hope they don't keep recycling the same formula for any upcoming cases if that's happening. Like to me there's no suspense because I know anything that happens is just pretend. The ending of the first part made that very obvious; they go as far as possible but nothing's real. So that took out the tension for Case 4 for me, this anime is too lighthearted to break off the main characters.

About Dorothy... Cynthia and Abby faking their deaths the same way Dorothy died pretty much gave away the fact that she did as well to me, you don't have scenes like that for no reason.
Dec 4, 2020 5:51 PM

Jul 2014
My biggest wish, if this show gets a second season, is for Makoto and Abbie to end up together. They have such great chemistry! I liked that she only sent him the picture - she's trying in her own way.
Dec 5, 2020 1:41 AM

May 2015
Expect the unexpected
9/10
Dec 5, 2020 6:06 PM
Dec 2014
This anime felt like a breath of fresh air. I immediately fell in love with it. I was even considering turning a blind eye to some hard to believe moments and giving it a 10/10, it was that enjoyable. But then Case 4 came. Oh boy

A lot of things have already been said like these 3 antagonists suddenly being buddies with people who ruined them or the whole plan being just ridiculously big and complicated.
But the biggest issue I have is how Makoto's psychological development was thrown out of the window in the last episode. This guy was seriously traumatized after everything that happened. He was involved in child trafficking for over 2 months, witnessed 2 of his "partners" dying because of his decision to save the kids and involve his father, and he thought he killed his father. Sure, he hated him at that moment but killing a person is a huge deal and it was his dad for god's sake. He was so crushed he stopped eating for 3 days and only started because the yakuza lady helped him. This poor guy could have killed himself from all the trauma (I wonder what Laurent would do in that case).
Learning that he had to experience all of that because of Laurent must have felt terrible and Makoto betraying all of them would be a much better ending. It was just so fitting and interesting.

To be honest, I have a hard time understanding why they couldn't tell Makoto about the whole plan. Something about him messing up if he knew but did he ever really do that? Sometimes he changed some elements like with the painting but I wouldn't count that as messing up. He made a deliberate decision to help the painter's conscience and there was really no consequence. The second time was letting the paralyzed pilot fly instead of Abby but Laurent was ready for that and nothing severe happened. Honestly, such situations could be avoided with proper communication between Laurent and Makoto.
I actually remember at least 3 times where Makoto messed up because nobody told him about the plan. 1st time was when Laurent gave him "the drug" without any explanation, he freaked out and was in serious danger for attacking Eddie's guys. Then the whole operation could have failed because he thought Laurent and Abby were shot and freaked out again. And there was a case with the painting when Laurent didn't tell him how much it was really worth.
Makoto proved himself to be a very good actor on countless occasions so I really can't understand why he couldn't be included. When I think about it, there wasn't a single case that he wasn't tricked to participate in. If I were him I would feel that they don't trust me. So not telling him again and causing all that trauma was actually riskier because he got a strong reason to betray Laurent.
Makoto also wanted to somehow trick Laurent from the start so it would fit nicely with betraying him for real. Instead, he added a small detail to the plan that changed literally nothing, and Laurent was tricked for like 2 seconds. It feels really underwhelming.

After all that, I don't even have any energy left to be mad about Dorothy being alive.

8/10 could have been a masterpiece
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Jun 1, 2020

114 by notDelta »»
Jul 1, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

60 by ANIk_003 »»
Jul 1, 11:31 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 18 Discussion

43 by xspookydarknessx »»
Jun 26, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 17 Discussion

39 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 12, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 16 Discussion

31 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 8, 6:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.