Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 20, 2020 11:42 AM
Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It’s over.

All the episodes have been available legally on Netflix JP since 00:00 JST (9/21/2020), and the raws were just uploaded as of 13:29 CDT (9/20/2020) at the usual place for anyone without a subscription and a VPN. If you can’t understand Japanese, the fan subbers shouldn’t be long, and if you don’t care about your torrent’s file size and want the highest quality downloads you can get, a certain poster from /a/ has been uploading excellent translations under the tag [Die Hot], so I recommend looking for their uploads whenever they show up.

Key Visual for the final arc. And yes, it's as good as it looks.
SingleHSep 20, 2020 11:48 AM
Sep 20, 2020 3:59 PM

Dec 2017
oh yeah, ofc Dorothy would be alive, washed out to some place in china. ig this is a nod to Laurent possibly meeting her in the future, although an odd one

anyways, the whole ending felt more like something that would come from r/thathappened. fooling not only the yakuza, but also the chinese mafia with some sedative is a quite ridiculous feat. well, this show never relied on anything realistic, so i suppose ending the case in this epic comedic manner is exactly how it should be

also what's up with Abby always flicking Edamura off? 😒
Sep 21, 2020 10:13 AM
Jul 2017
SingleH said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
It’s over.

All the episodes have been available legally on Netflix JP since 00:00 JST (9/21/2020), and the raws were just uploaded as of 13:29 CDT (9/20/2020) at the usual place for anyone without a subscription and a VPN. If you can’t understand Japanese, the fan subbers shouldn’t be long, and if you don’t care about your torrent’s file size and want the highest quality downloads you can get, a certain poster from /a/ has been uploading excellent translations under the tag [Die Hot], so I recommend looking for their uploads whenever they show up.

That seriously gives me pulp fiction vibes.
Sep 21, 2020 7:20 PM
Sep 2019
SingleH said:
It’s over.

Since, you seem to be in the know, could you possibly point me in the direction I might go once they finish? I'm not very familiar with the work of fan subs and where to watch/download them outside of *ahem* regular 3rd party websites.
Sep 23, 2020 2:57 AM

Apr 2017
Was a great show overall, also could some1 enlighten me who the President of USA was because I legit couldn't remember
Sep 23, 2020 3:42 AM

Jun 2020
ZeroDreaM said:
Was a great show overall, also could some1 enlighten me who the President of USA was because I legit couldn't remember

I actually don't remember too, but the ending was the best. It showed how they did it and how it actually went off. I was pretty surprised that Laurent made up with the 3 that got scammed. Hopefully it gets another season/movie to follow up the ending with
. It was a good wait! Also, Abby best girl! I really hope that Edamura and Abby can develop a romantic relation ship.

NotKakeruuSep 23, 2020 3:49 AM
ayo
Sep 23, 2020 6:56 AM
Apr 2020
ZeroDreaM said:

I think i figured out who he is after looking through previous episodes. He was an actor in one of Eddie's movies. He's in episode three where Edamura is watching one of his old movies.
Sep 23, 2020 8:11 AM

Jul 2017
Great ending to a great show, hopefully there will be a continuation.
Sep 23, 2020 8:49 AM

Feb 2014
Absolute creative masterpiece. This show was a thrilling ride with heart pumping twists all over the place. The final arc was worth the wait. Truly the wizard of far east. I was expecting it to be Laurent's arc finally but they added OZ in the mix to connect the whole story-line. Dorothy was quite the fireworks to see. She did not disappoint with her antics and charm. The confidence people really lived up to their morals, without killing anyone and without any hatred. Truly lone wolves till the end. Cynthia adopted one of the orphans Kawin, Laurent living his dream of being a diplomat and Abby and Edamane pursuing what they fell great about. With how the story wrapped up I'd say we have a chance of seeing them back in action right?
I'd love to see them back. Especially with Dorothy in action.
10/10

Btw was that Anderson; the FBI guy as the President of USA?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 23, 2020 9:19 AM

Sep 2016
The show sure was fun to watch and creative in terms of the theme and color palette, however I wish the ending was better.

I think the ending would have been very satisfying if Edamura had gone along with his own revenge plan, especially since he had multiple times said he wanted to live peacefully after getting out of prison and all. I think it would have been a badass character development for him, but also a good end to his scamming career, considering the tease in ep 21 and 22.

I also felt like the whole final arc was all for nothing because Dorothy is still alive, but oh well.

Sep 23, 2020 9:53 AM
May 2015
I thought it was pretty great. Everything was wrapped up nicely but yea I can't remember who the USA president is. I guess they didn't want to put Trump (like how Dr. Stone cameo'd him)

I also agree that Dorothy being alive kinda ruined it. But I loved her character so I don't mind all that much. I just feel it would've been more emotional if she actually died. Whether or not we get season 2, that was an enjoyable ride.
Sep 23, 2020 10:16 AM

Jul 2019
idk how i feel about Dorothy still being alive after all of that revenge and stuff, but apart from that i think the ending overall delivered 9/10 for me.
Sep 23, 2020 11:37 AM

Oct 2017
Wrapped it up perfectly. We got the full explanation on how they pulled of the scheme this time and it was amusing as usual. Also wow so Edamura/Edamame was the one who planned the whole thing this time.

They all went to do things they like. As I thought Edamura's mom knew what his dad used to do. There were clear hints of that in previous episodes. Also damn I'm really happy to see that Edamura x Abby ship's sailing. Too bad I won't get to see them together as a couple but the way things are going they'll surely end up together someday.

The after credit scene was great. I really hoped that Dorothy was alive and I'm glad she is. Hope she regain her memories someday and meets Laurent again.

Whew ~ this was an amazing work by WIT Studio. Every arc was really incredible but the first arc is still my fav. Thou episode 20 is proly my favourite as it had the biggest plot twist and most revealations.

A really great anime overall and this is proly gonna end up as my fav anime from 2020.
Sep 23, 2020 8:46 PM
Sep 2018
Nice ending. Really wish for a movie. Season two would be better but I feel it's not necessary. Ending would have been a little better if Dorothy's caretakers actually spoke Chinese in a Taiwanese accent rather than a Mainland Chinese accent. But then again, a lot of the other languages were spoken like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Bny22yLdY so... (jkjkjk). One big question I still have is WHO CALLED LAURENT AT THE END???? Are they hinting to a possible continuation???? please do.
Sep 23, 2020 9:21 PM
Oct 2018
Best Anime in 2020.
Sep 24, 2020 2:28 AM
Sep 2020
Absolute garbage ending, what’s the point of the 3 antagonist appearance? What purpose do they serve? Case 4 has been the biggest disappointment so far, show will spiraling downwards, hopefully there won’t be a second season, I predict it’s second be in a even worse spot
Sep 24, 2020 3:48 AM
Feb 2015
Forevaplo said:
Absolute garbage ending, what’s the point of the 3 antagonist appearance? What purpose do they serve? Case 4 has been the biggest disappointment so far, show will spiraling downwards, hopefully there won’t be a second season, I predict it’s second be in a even worse spot

I'm glad you made this account just to say that
Sep 24, 2020 4:56 AM
Apr 2018
ZeroDreaM said:

I'm guessing its him.
Sep 24, 2020 8:25 AM

Mar 2010
I think they missed an opportunity to at least go a bit farther with makoto and abby's relation. It would be more satisfying to at least have makoto pick abby from the airport to show her around japan like they talked about. That would probably be enough to add that bit of romance instead of just sending a selfie. Hopefully there is an ova or a movie. A second season seems difficult as they really tied everyone's story and everyone is where they want to be kind of.
Sep 24, 2020 10:21 AM

Jul 2019
The ending was perfect for an anime, but it only proved that they wouldn't see each other again for a few years, maybe. That reminds me of graduation, and that's kinda sad.

MegamiRem said:
Thou episode 20 is proly my favourite as it had the biggest plot twist and most revealations.
This.XD
Sep 24, 2020 10:42 AM
Oct 2012
Really great I loved the animation, music the characters and it was fun overall. The ending felt a bit arse pully with the whole fake building and everything they needed to do. Dorothy being alive is a great hook for s2 but for Laurent to throw the ring in the ocean and it to wash up to her specifically is a chance in literally trillions.

Have no idea why the three antagonists are now so buddy buddy with con artists I felt that needed a little bit more explanation. But with all that said and done marooning them on the island felt perfect, and I liked the wrap up.

In season 2 im sure both the chinese and Japanese mafia will team up to help them pull of a con as why not.
Sep 24, 2020 1:13 PM

May 2011
The last case was a bit cringe-worthy. Really wanted Edamura to betray them at the end, THAT would be a real twist ! Also I don't know why they bothered to bring back the people they scammed, and the fact that they are totally okay with helping people who scammed them is beyond me

and what's the point of killing a person if they're just going to bring her back 🤦

well, all in all it kept me interested
Sep 24, 2020 1:46 PM
Nov 2015
Yato_gamisan said:
ZeroDreaM said:

I'm guessing its him.

No it’s the actor for Razzie in Razzie’s Rising from case 1.
Sep 24, 2020 2:12 PM

Jul 2020
We got the good ending!
What a great show and a twist-full one it was.
Honestly I hoped that Edamura turned against his con artist group just to make it even more satisfying for me personally.

The only thing I don't like was the way they joined with those 3 antagonists(Ibrahim, Cassano and Coleman). Even though they said “they are not interested in revenge if it doesn't profit them”, it still felt kinda unbelievable.

Too bad Edamura x Abigail didn't turn into something, though that picture Abigail send to Edamura might have some interesting intentions.
Somehow I expected Dorothy still alive with all the twists this show offers.

I definitely hope for a second season!
Sep 24, 2020 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
Killer_Neko said:
ZeroDreaM said:

I think i figured out who he is after looking through previous episodes. He was an actor in one of Eddie's movies. He's in episode three where Edamura is watching one of his old movies.
omg yes now I remember him, the actor who had defeated 100 guys with chopsticks
Alfazeroneko will come back, surely he will be back from the dead :)

Sep 24, 2020 4:15 PM
Jul 2013
Well this was... disappointing ngl. I rly liked the show overall but the last case was just meh to me. It was stretched out for way too many episodes.

What i always value in a show is characters connecting and their relationships developing but this was sadly nonexistent here. Too much plot without core characters interacting with each other. After case 2 and 3 where Edamame helped Abby and Cynthia and got to know them a little more, I expected it would be the same for case 4 with Laurent but the show said big nope on that one lol

Why are they suddenly so buddy buddy with the people they conned? What was the point of this whole thing if Dorothy is still alive? What are Edamame's feelings? Did he forgive them? Did they reconcile? so many questions and so little answers.

another minor gripe i had was that edamura like hardly enjoyed these cons. I thought after 3 big cases he would start to at least be a little into it but nope its the same circle, he gets deceived and we are back to him being forced into it, oh well.

Sep 24, 2020 4:25 PM
Jun 2020
This show was extremely boring. I was basically M ing it through by how painful it was to watch. The animation was the best selling point but it wasn’t a good compensate to it. I thought the characters were ass. Plot was pretty bad and was only good when you had a reveal but it wasn’t even a 100iq play kinda shock but rather like “that’s kinda creative to change the glass to a colour blind glass to change a colour” . I wish I just dropped it tbh.
Sep 24, 2020 5:19 PM
Sep 24, 2020 5:55 PM

Mar 2008
What's good having the liberty to make an original anime free from the hellish japanese committees just to do the same shallow cookie-cutter inane moralist shit?

This was a good anime but in the end was also disappointing.
Sep 24, 2020 6:09 PM
Jun 2015
AOTY. Creative, funny, unique art and animation and over all a good story. 8/10
Sep 24, 2020 11:04 PM
Mar 2013
Wow. What a finish.

What kinda sucks is that I really didn't have many faults with this show until the ending. It just seemed super unrealistic that Eddie, Coleman, and Sam would be so willing to be near the very people who ruined their lives. While I understand that they had the motivation of money/"getting back" at Laurent, it just seemed pretty unrealistic that Cynthia, for example, would want to be within a mile of Coleman.

Dorothy being alive was everything I wanted (I literally love her), but I agree, it did kind of take away from an act of "true revenge." It does help set up for another season... I guess it depends on if the public in Japan likes it!
Sep 25, 2020 12:12 AM

Jul 2020
Great ending to an amazing anime. Hope that there will be a continuation in the future because I really, really want more!
Sep 25, 2020 12:15 AM
Dec 2016
God I'm gonna miss this anime so much. I don't think we'll get a continuation considering the characters have no reason to continue being con artists, at least for now. Abby sending Edamura a selfie was funny and cute and I loved the relationship they've built, but I'm kind of sad we won't get to see more of those two. I personally give this show a 9/10
Sep 25, 2020 12:56 AM

Jan 2009
lol of course its sleeping drugs that is the missing info on how all of that happen (hindsight bias at work)

so Edanames mom know all along that his father was a con artist and called a wizard eh thats nice to know

Edaname x Abby happens implied though

and welp Dorothy is still alive and just got amnesia that is slowly but surely improving now so ye Laurent and her will have a reunion one day

but who is that new USA president though
Sep 25, 2020 12:59 AM
Jan 2017
hmm, who's that with Cynthia in London?
Sep 25, 2020 1:02 AM

Jan 2009
madR69_ said:
hmm, who's that with Cynthia in London?

one of the kids they rescued from child trafficking
Sep 25, 2020 1:29 AM

Oct 2018
What a beautiful way to end an anime, im honestly happy about what happened after the post credits :') Even the orphans are going to have a future.
Sep 25, 2020 4:07 AM

Aug 2018
Great anime. Ending was a little off though. What is this? Shounen? what's the point in having us go through 9 episodes only to have Dorothy alive in the end.

And making up with these 3 antagonists doesn't explain a thing. All I know is Edamura somehow pulled these 3 into helping them and everyone just accepted because money is in the game. But how the hell did they forgive each other for ruining their lives. That doesn't explain a thing.

There are hints for second season. Hope it happens
Sep 25, 2020 4:57 AM

Aug 2017
What a Great Show!! Truly beautiful.
That ending scene was really amazing though, didn't expect that at all!!

Sep 25, 2020 4:58 AM

Apr 2017
Killer_Neko said:
ZeroDreaM said:

true i actually didn't think about him at all when i tried to figure out who he was thanks, very 5head
Sep 25, 2020 5:00 AM
Sep 2020
Nice ride overall. But, about the three previous targets were in "bussiness" with them make it a bit odd for me
Sep 25, 2020 2:20 PM

Apr 2015
Jesus christler, we need a movie following up this omg

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Sep 25, 2020 3:00 PM

Apr 2015
This was hands down such a gem of an anime and hidden one at that, I'm so glad I decided to watch this. 9/10 easy for me!
The only weird part was the 3 previous bosses helping em out, but other than that it was a thrilling and fun ride.
Sep 25, 2020 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the first three episodes of this arc until my issues with the show and this arc threw too many of them just for the sake of absurdity that completely ruined my immersion and believability. At some point, I was waiting for Makoto's mom to show up lul.
Ultimately I feel the show is better at handling the story with low stakes and tighter pacing like the case 3 which was solid.

Based from the cliffhanger, I guess there will be continuation. The film format would definitely suit well for this show.
Sep 25, 2020 8:00 PM

Dec 2016
Sonalisa said:
The last case was a bit cringe-worthy. Really wanted Edamura to betray them at the end, THAT would be a real twist ! Also I don't know why they bothered to bring back the people they scammed, and the fact that they are totally okay with helping people who scammed them is beyond me

and what's the point of killing a person if they're just going to bring her back 🤦

Why wouldn't they bring them back? They are adult characters moved by greed, not petty teenagers with sored butts because someone flipped them off. Their financial and contact asistance is what allowed the whole team to build a huge mockup of a building and move both conflictive parties in for the grand scam and finale. The 3 big villians are obviously going to get a piece of the profits. You peeps need to watch more actual cinema that does this sort of stuff rather than just watch anime and use teen logics.

Why did they bring Dorothy back? you obviously missed the whole point of the show, to scam big shots without killing anyone (while also doing their best acting performance, even staging their own deaths), that was the motto of the original crew
Sep 26, 2020 2:37 AM
Oct 2018
Forevaplo said:

Damn..your hatred must be running really deep as you made this account just to talk bad about this anime.
Sep 26, 2020 5:28 AM

May 2011
Kimurah said:
Sonalisa said:

Why wouldn't they bring them back? They are adult characters moved by greed, not petty teenagers with sored butts because someone flipped them off. Their financial and contact asistance is what allowed the whole team to build a huge mockup of a building and move both conflictive parties in for the grand scam and finale. The 3 big villians are obviously going to get a piece of the profits. You peeps need to watch more actual cinema that does this sort of stuff rather than just watch anime and use teen logics.

Why did they bring Dorothy back? you obviously missed the whole point of the show, to scam big shots without killing anyone (while also doing their best acting performance, even staging their own deaths), that was the motto of the original crew

sure sure whatever you say 🤣
Sep 26, 2020 7:17 AM

Sep 2018
What a show...
topped everything this year and by far
Sep 26, 2020 7:43 AM

Jul 2017
Ya know, when i saw an ED with a Freddie Mercury song, i knew this was gonna be a banger of a show, and fuck yes, i was right all along.

WHAT A RIDE THIS WAS! Pretending, acting, the main focus of this show, and it delievered, on every damn front. Seeing all of our beloved con artists going wild and screw some shet up, it just filled me with joy, couldn't take my eyes of the screen, i needed to watch more and more. I don't know what more to say ahah, it was, just fabulous.

I can only say that i'm not really that sad that sad that Wit Studio isnt picking up the final AoT season anymore, because, what i've seen here, they nailed it and have shown their grandiosity with Great Pretender. Well done Wit, and thank you, for bringing us such a fantastic anime.

9/10
Sep 26, 2020 2:55 PM

Nov 2012
Probably the best show this year had to offer. A very cool, stylized show with very interesting, likeable characters brimming with personality.

Admittedly though, there were parts you definitely had to suspend your suspension of disbelief (especially evident in this last arc). These guys were always being put in very bad situations only for it to turn out "it was all part of the plan." I didn't fret too much about them in the previous 3 arcs but idk the last one arc felt slightly off.

It being the biggest case of the series, it was the most absurd and unbelievable of them all, so frankly the worst one imo.

7.5-8/10, highest score I've given a show from 2020 thus my AOTY.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 15 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

47 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 17, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Jun 19, 2020

52 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 12 Discussion

Tsarko - Jun 18, 2020

42 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Jun 8, 2020

62 by RawrOMG »»
Feb 17, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 9 Discussion

Pre_Yum - Jun 15, 2020

34 by RawrOMG »»
Feb 16, 12:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.