Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 9, 2019 7:13 AM

Nov 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tatsuki is back and now with something slightly darker instead of tanoshii.
Jan 9, 2019 7:22 AM

Sep 2014
Dat was an interesting start so far, not sure how to feel about the male MC but lets see...

Dat OST tho...

Jan 9, 2019 8:12 AM

Oct 2018
CaptainZoro said:
Dat was an interesting start so far, not sure how to feel about the male MC but lets see...

Dat OST tho...

I didn't really get the sense he's the MC. We'll find out, but I'm really digging the mood and setting this show puts out. I'm glad it managed to give us some idea of what's going on without exposition dumping.
Jan 9, 2019 9:00 AM
Aug 2014
They had such a good atmosphere going and then boom ruin everything with the dumbass guy randomly showing up.
Jan 9, 2019 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
I couldn't finish the episode. It was too bad. However, I do realise that I am not the target audience, so I won't rate this anime. It would be unfair.
Jan 9, 2019 10:09 AM

Mar 2016
This was really good, and I'm super intrigued. Perfect use of a 'self-insert' character. All the girls know what's going on, but we don't. Atmosphere and music, perfect.
Jan 9, 2019 10:24 AM

Sep 2017
It's genuinely good. Probably the best one so far in this season.

I went into the show completely blind and I wasn't even aware that it was a Tatsuki's production. For the first 3 min I was like wtf? But then 10 min into it I was completely absorbed into it and I could already see it's the true spiritual heir of Kemono Friends. I appreciate how it naturally unfolds the mystery without any info dump. Tatsuki is once again going to prove that with talent and heart you can make good anime without big budget.

Now let's see how they will fuck up Kemono Friends S2 without Tatsuki.
Jan 9, 2019 10:32 AM

Sep 2017
So apparently people on twitter has already found out where the island is:
https://twitter.com/unya41447845/status/1083002649014747136
Jan 9, 2019 10:38 AM

Sep 2008
It was fine, could be worth giving it a shot.
Jan 9, 2019 11:00 AM

May 2015
Feels quite like a spiritual sequel to Kemono Friends in terms of style. Character designs are nice too outside Wakaba.

It's a weird show and I'm not too fond on the idea of Rin already growing slight feelings for Wakaba. It would be reasonable if it didn't happen in the first episode after everyone's been suspecting him to be one of the monsters that's been attacking him.

Wakaba himself... hmmm. I don't like his design because of the contrast of an average dressed japanese guy to all these characters, but his mannerisms and general mystery behind him *could* lead to something cool. Or it could suck idk we'll have to see.

I'll watch this to the end based off my love for Kemono Friends, hope Tatsuki can deliver again.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 9, 2019 11:09 AM

Jul 2010
Someone pass me the unsee bleach, please.
There's no shadows, no collisions worth mentioning, animations are clunky, some poses don't make any sense. That makes the entire show creepy for no good reason.
And then you have the guy's voice acting and stupidity, his emotions are not convincing at all, and the girls can't recognize someone of the same species.
Beatrice-KFJan 9, 2019 11:31 AM
Jan 9, 2019 12:11 PM

Jan 2018
Unique. It's a shame it's on Prime. That's really going to limit its reach and popularity.

Episode breezed by. Actually loved it.
Jan 9, 2019 12:18 PM

Apr 2018
Looks better than expected and it was a pretty entertaining

All the girls are cuties but that dude is as annoying as it can get
Jan 9, 2019 1:11 PM

Oct 2016
I've enjoyed most of the other first eps I've seen this season, but I just couldn't get into this one. The computer animation felt janky at times and everyone looks drunk, which kept distracting me from the actual story. Throwing in that random hapless isekai tosser was a bit of a mood ruiner for me as well.

Don't think I'll be continuing with this one.
Jan 9, 2019 1:29 PM

Sep 2015
Now I think they don't really understood the reasons why Kemono friends was a success.

Nobody asked for a male random generic spineless annoying savior MC who make girls blush 30 seconds after meeting them.
Jan 9, 2019 2:33 PM

Mar 2016
Kemonofags are pissed that he isn't working on season 2, but are shitting on this at the same time? Makes no sense, for such a pleasant series the fanbase sure is cancer.
Jan 9, 2019 2:36 PM

Mar 2013
Interesting first episode, I got hooked up really fast.
And the animation is better than KF.
Jan 9, 2019 3:17 PM
Feb 2017
It's pretty interesting but im gonna keep sticking on it for the OP
Jan 9, 2019 3:21 PM

Jan 2018
That rating. This is only the second time I've disputed a rating. It shouldn't even have one yet.
Jan 9, 2019 3:26 PM
Aug 2017
Tsunshine-Chris said:
That rating. This is only the second time I've disputed a rating. It shouldn't even have one yet.

The rating and most of the answers to this threads are a joke

Either it's people who only know Tatsuki from KF and are losing their shit over the darker atmosphere and the male character; or it's people who don't understand irodori's animation style and limited staff & budget capabilities

A shame people like that are allowed to rate this show (on its first episode nonetheless!)
Jan 9, 2019 5:32 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Jan 9, 2019 6:12 PM

Mar 2009
Get that Amazon money, Tatsuki!

Seems like a fairy decent sci-fi drama/action series so far. Obviously a lot more darker than Kemono Friends, but it's cool that it still has that post-apocalyptic feel to it. Ritsu's cute! Are otaku losing their minds over the male character?

How awkward is it that this is airing in the same season as Kemono Friends S2? HOLY SHIT. Poor Tatsuki... :(

Anyway, hope Tatsuki finds success with this one. I like it so far.
Jan 9, 2019 7:11 PM

Feb 2016
The story was going well until wakaba appeared. I don't mind a male MC in a girls only world, but he seems to be a default MC whose main ability is being nice and smiling. He seems to have strong ability (detecting bugs) granted by luck, I'd prefer if the ability came from effort instead, like, training to learn how to detect bugs, growing stronger after learning how to fight, etc.

I liked the show overall, but I hope the show proves me wrong on wakaba and he grows to be a better character.
Jan 9, 2019 7:39 PM

Oct 2008
OKAY! This is truly the hidden gem of this season!!!
5/5.

Jan 9, 2019 7:52 PM

Dec 2016
The picture for this show is somehow better than the show itself
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 9, 2019 7:55 PM
Aug 2014
syncrogazer said:
Kemonofags are pissed that he isn't working on season 2, but are shitting on this at the same time?

Yes, because having the most dumbass bad-fanfic-level self-insert Mary Sue MC I've seen in a long while is trash lol. He should've died the first time Rin hit him with the blast.
Jan 9, 2019 8:19 PM

Oct 2015
The animation style is a bit so so, but it seems like the story is watchable. Poor guy though, I wonder how did he end up there?

An okay opening episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 10, 2019 12:39 AM

Nov 2009
I enjoyed the first episode.

Wakaba is a bit weak for his introduction. Guessing he's an isekai protag?

But It's nice to have Tatsuki's style. He gives a certain charm, even with the "low quality" that he does things in.
Houseki No Kuni, aka The Land of the Lustrous. Best of 2017.
Jan 10, 2019 2:09 AM

Jul 2010
daftpunkliker said:
Tsunshine-Chris said:

Either it's people who only know Tatsuki from KF and are losing their shit over the darker atmosphere and the male character; or it's people who don't understand irodori's animation style and limited staff & budget capabilities

A shame people like that are allowed to rate this show (on its first episode nonetheless!)

When people are saying the animation here looks better than KF (which I haven't watched ), it says a lot about the abysimal skills of the staff. This is not what low budget should look like, unless :
1 - You deliberately create something caricatural (Inferno Cop, Ninja Slayer, Sushi Police).
2 - It's 2deep4me and they are engaged in a revolution the layman mind cannot comprehend (I still don't understand to this day why Shaft does Shaft things, and I don't like it).
3 - They don't know free tools exist to make stuff better.
4 - You explicitly limit yourself to a specific medium or technique (use clay or paper and film the thing in step motion).
But still, this doesn't excuse bad storywriting. The guy cannot express his emotions properly and you can indeed attribute it to a bad seiyuu and low budget, but the fact that he's clueless and suddenly switch back and forth between "oh no I'm gonna die" and "uwu what is this pretty thing" just means the storywriter doesn't give a shit. It's clear as day there is either no love in this work, or the staff is bad.
Jan 10, 2019 2:48 AM

May 2018
Am I the only one that finds some resemblances between Rin and Evangelyne from Wakfu - https://wakfu.fandom.com/wiki/Evangelyne ?
Her eyes glow in green when watching in distance too and she acts tsundere around males.
Jan 10, 2019 3:12 AM
Aug 2017
alshu said:
Am I the only one that finds some resemblances between Rin and Evangelyne from Wakfu - https://wakfu.fandom.com/wiki/Evangelyne ?
Her eyes glow in green when watching in distance too and she acts tsundere around males.

Oh shit you're right lmao
Jan 10, 2019 3:16 AM
Aug 2017
Beatrice-KF said:

But still, this doesn't excuse bad storywriting. The guy cannot express his emotions properly and you can indeed attribute it to a bad seiyuu and low budget, but the fact that he's clueless and suddenly switch back and forth between "oh no I'm gonna die" and "uwu what is this pretty thing" just means the storywriter doesn't give a shit. It's clear as day there is either no love in this work, or the staff is bad.

A shame the lot of you calling this isekai and bad writing can't get a brain

Wakaba was born from the tree and can be considered as the little brother of all the girls, he just birthed into the water and has no fucking idea about anything because of that.
But I guess adding 2+2 is too much to ask to mal users and westerners in general.
Jan 10, 2019 3:31 AM

Oct 2013
Tatsuki delivered
Jan 10, 2019 4:42 AM

Nov 2014
that graphic is making me cry but the story is not bad overall.
Jan 10, 2019 4:47 AM
Sep 2018
Beatrice-KF said:

2 - It's 2deep4me and they are engaged in a revolution the layman mind cannot comprehend (I still don't understand to this day why Shaft does Shaft things, and I don't like it).

Most of Shaft's style is actually a money-saving technique to make things look interesting with limited animation.
Jan 10, 2019 5:21 AM
Jul 2016
I would normally trash this at first glance but this is actually quite interesting, you can see they're actually trying to put effort into the series even with their limitations. The stereotypical absolute righteous guy jumping into acid because someone looked worried and it was the 'right thing to do' trope pissed me off and hopefully it doesnt continue although it obviously will.
Jan 10, 2019 5:22 AM

Apr 2018
daftpunkliker said:
Tsunshine-Chris said:

"it's people who don't understand irodori's animation style and limited staff & budget capabilities"
Why tf should people care about that?bad is bad and good is good

Anw i didn't find the show to be ugly
Jan 10, 2019 5:28 AM
Nov 2014
Beatrice-KF said:
3 - They don't know free tools exist to make stuff better.

If only the creators of the biggest hit anime of 2017 who have been doing indie animation since long before that could have discovered this post so that they might learn of these free tools that magically turn any show into whatever standard you're holding it to.
Jan 10, 2019 5:32 AM

May 2018
So animation is bad... is this on purpose? I mean it is from the guy that did kemono friends.

Setting is interesting, I was surprised tehy killed off the loli then we get to the base and turns out there's 4 more of them hahahaha

Wakaba seems to be...from our world? or something. Quite interesting.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 10, 2019 5:52 AM

Jul 2010
daftpunkliker said:
A shame the lot of you calling this isekai and bad writing can't get a brain

Wakaba was born from the tree and can be considered as the little brother of all the girls, he just birthed into the water and has no fucking idea about anything because of that.
But I guess adding 2+2 is too much to ask to mal users and westerners in general.

Be it isekai (I'm not really fond of this theory and I'm not the one who called it) or birth from a tree (could make sense but the tree was completely out of place for this, it would be more consistent to say he was born from something that was already in the water before it was pumped out), he can figure out people are out there trying to kill him. If that's not even having a slight idea of what is happening, then what is it ?

Also I guess adding 2+2 is too much to ask for the girls as well. I also forgot to mention another thing people have been pointing out, they can totally kill the boy (he's fucking bleeding and they know it's blood ffs) but nope, let's pretend otherwise. He definitely has to be some sort of cockroach worm mutant who survives even when you cut his arms and head, right, RIGHT ??

HamburgerMan said:
If only the creators of the biggest hit anime of 2017 who have been doing indie animation since long before that could have discovered this post so that they might learn of these free tools that magically turn any show into whatever standard you're holding it to.

If only being sarcastic could serve as an argument.
Beatrice-KFJan 10, 2019 5:57 AM
Jan 10, 2019 7:48 AM

Mar 2016
Beatrice-KF said:
let's pretend otherwise. He definitely has to be some sort of cockroach worm mutant who survives even when you cut his arms and head, right, RIGHT ??

Not sure what your point is here. We know nothing about the origins of these girls, but I think it's pretty obvious that they have never had to 'exterminate' anything other than a bug before. You can only use the tools you have in your toolbox, and we've seen them try to 'exterminate' him in the ways they know how. They still haven't fully accepted him as like them (if he even is) but they're slowly coming to that conclusion, and if they think that, why kill him at all? Even if they were just cold-blooded killers it's not like the episode gave them any time to brutally massacre him, between them talking to him throughout their 'investigation' and his rescuing of one of them. But no, it's easier to complain that something the characters didn't do is somehow illogical because you totally thought of it.

Jan 10, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2010
syncrogazer said:
Not sure what your point is here. We know nothing about the origins of these girls, but I think it's pretty obvious that they have never had to 'exterminate' anything other than a bug before. You can only use the tools you have in your toolbox, and we've seen them try to 'exterminate' him in the ways they know how. They still haven't fully accepted him as like them (if he even is) but they're slowly coming to that conclusion, and if they think that, why kill him at all? Even if they were just cold-blooded killers it's not like the episode gave them any time to brutally massacre him, between them talking to him throughout their 'investigation' and his rescuing of one of them. But no, it's easier to complain that something the characters didn't do is somehow illogical because you totally thought of it.

It's pretty obvious they managed to hurt him when he could dodge and then did nothing but talk about killing him when he couldn't instead of trying. But maybe I'm the one seeing things that never happened, who knows.
Jan 10, 2019 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
This is like very good. I enjoyed every single minute of this episode
But can we just talk about how amazing the OST us?
XenocrisiJan 10, 2019 9:20 AM
Jan 10, 2019 9:16 AM

Mar 2016
Beatrice-KF said:
It's pretty obvious they managed to hurt him when he could dodge and then did nothing but talk about killing him when he couldn't instead of trying. But maybe I'm the one seeing things that never happened, who knows.

And? They weren't trying to kill him just to do it. They were trying to fight him as a typical enemy, and then slowly began to question that.
Jan 10, 2019 9:51 AM

Apr 2018
Wait i think that he is indeed human and that the girls are the ones who aren't but they aren't aware of that just yet .
Jan 10, 2019 11:35 AM
Jan 2013
A war is now to be waged

gone bai bai
Jan 10, 2019 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
post apocalyptic kemono friends..
Jan 10, 2019 6:30 PM
Mar 2018
Mkim said:
A war is now to be waged

Intead of NO i should be TABENAIDE KUDASAI :v and that how you won the war XD

Wakaba reminds me KABAN CHAN when she apeared on the japari park for the first time.
Jan 11, 2019 1:27 AM

Jul 2016
The animation is good but I'm the kind of person who doesn't care too much about CGI so you won't hear me complain about it.

We don't know much about the story or the world but I dig it.

The character design and voice acting is really good.
Jan 11, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2018
Mkim said:
A war is now to be waged

the loli sisters are way cuter
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemurikusa (TV) Episode 3 Discussion

Liddo-kun - Jan 23, 2019

22 by tam_fortress »»
May 11, 2022 1:00 AM

Poll: » Kemurikusa (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

Liddo-kun - Mar 20, 2019

34 by PokefanPT »»
Oct 27, 2021 3:08 PM

Poll: » Kemurikusa (TV) Episode 12 Discussion

Mkim - Mar 27, 2019

45 by little_raven »»
Oct 18, 2021 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kemurikusa (TV) Episode 9 Discussion

Gildesh - Mar 6, 2019

11 by little_raven »»
Oct 15, 2021 10:17 AM

» Rating comeback

Clannadstan - Mar 21, 2019

26 by sketchesofpayne »»
May 7, 2020 11:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.