Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2016 11:58 AM
Dec 2013
I thought it was okay. Ajin made me be used to 3D CGI, so I think it looked fine, though I would've preferred it to be 2D. This episode partially adapted chapter 1, and adapted all of chapter 2. But it looks like they're not going to adapt chapters 3-8 of the Black Swordsman Arc. It's nice to see chapter 2 animated for the first time (chapter 1 was already previously animated), but it looks like we're never going to see chapters 3-8 animated.

The Golden Age Arc will be skipped it seems, but that's been animated twice before. And by the end of the episode, we're in the Binding Chain Chapter (chapter 135) of the Conviction arc, meaning that The Lost Children Chapter will be skipped and remain not animated. So we're gonna see the Binding Chain Chapter animated, and I look forward to see how faithful it will be to the manga. But it's a shame that they skipped adapting the rest of the Black Swordsman Arc and the Lost Children Chapter.
wildhoodJul 1, 2016 12:04 PM
Jul 1, 2016 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
the fucking pace? the jumped like 40 chapters in 1 episode XD
Jul 1, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
RealCW said:
Jirash said:

And I'm pretty sure that the fact you don't like it doesn't mean I'm insane and have to dislike it too...
Stop criticizing every opinion you didn't agree to, geez.

You're right. I apologize for my remark... but, man, I cannot help it when it comes that that trilogy.

I watched all three wanting to love them and was beyond just a shoddy adaptation, it was downright insulting writing, and I simply could not believe any sort of fans were defending it in any way.

It's the same thing everyone is hating on now here with his new one, "WELL, IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING."

Why do it at all if you're going to do it incorrectly? Oh, those series of movies just irk me in the worst kind of ways.

I can't disagree, I too think that it wasn't a good adaptation, but I still enjoyed it.
Jul 1, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2013
byoushin said:
ya'll a bunch of whining kids.

the trailers/pvs showed what the animation was going to be like what did you expect?

did people think they would purposely advertise with animation worse than what was going to be in the show?

brb watching Naruto and getting upset because it has ninja

what a joke the anime community has become in regards to seasonal anime

People like you being satisfied with this shit quality is what's ruining anime and yes it was worse than what they showed.

What they promised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejBQL8nfLpI

What we got (plus skipping almost the entire arc).
Jul 1, 2016 12:02 PM
Jan 2016
what with this fucking art work fuck u gemba
well it like i'm having a nightmare of fucking sketches
though episode was avarage
Jul 1, 2016 12:03 PM

May 2010
Fappa said:
Jesus. Not even the hand drawn OP is spared from this treatment.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. god damn when will this nightmare end?
Jul 1, 2016 12:04 PM

Mar 2016

I thought Mike Judge said he wasn't bringing Bevis and Butthead back.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 1, 2016 12:06 PM
Jun 2014
God, as a big fan of berserk, i am really disappointed if this first episode.
Jul 1, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
Anyone hating this from the get-go who is just going to complain about every single episode is free to drop this show right now. We don't need your negativity flooding the discussion pages every single week.
Jul 1, 2016 12:08 PM

Apr 2013
Gotta love all those negative reviews. Only 1 episode has been out and all i see are 1-3 ratings xD

But well.. it's pretty accurate to how i'm feeling as well... CGI was slightly worse than what i was expecting since having watched the trailer...

Jul 1, 2016 12:09 PM

May 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Spacenoid said:
Is this a retelling or continuation from where the original anime left of?
A little bit of a retelling near the beginning of the series, then it will quickly become a continuation of the TV series and the movies

Does that mean I shoudn't be watching this before watching the first version or reading the manga?
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 1, 2016 12:10 PM

Jan 2009
NotAPeanut said:
Anyone hating this from the get-go who is just going to complain about every single episode is free to drop this show right now. We don't need your negativity flooding the discussion pages every single week.

I'm pretty sure most people here wanted to like this(I know I did)
It's not our fault it's garbage and we are free to express our opinions on it

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 1, 2016 12:10 PM
Nov 2012
Well, I think pretty much all the things I felt have been said, but I'll say them again anyway.

The opening theme was cool, the ending was eh (It was alright). The animation is so disorientating and bad, and it's made worse with those camera angles and zooms. I'm somewhat claustrophobic (I can't play any of the original Doom-like games without getting a headache or feeling nauseous), so this was rough at times.

The soundtrack was alright. It's not as good as the previous Anime, but I think over time I'll get use to it and start to like it.

And what's worst of all is how they've chosen to adapt the story. Essentially no Black Swordsman arc, everything already looks like its going to be rushed, and so much character development has already been skipped over. Oh well
prtorpedoJul 1, 2016 12:18 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:11 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
HyperL said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
A little bit of a retelling near the beginning of the series, then it will quickly become a continuation of the TV series and the movies

Does that mean I shoudn't be watching this before watching the first version or reading the manga?
Yeah, you won't be able to know Guts's backstory (which is basically a third of the whole Berserk story). You should watch the first anime or the three movies (or you could read the manga).
Jul 1, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
NotAPeanut said:

Honestly, you should have seen this coming. I know I did.

People like us, who have no problems with the visual aspects, are just going to have to power through the hate. There's going to be a lot of it.
Jul 1, 2016 12:12 PM

Aug 2014
who cares about the CGI, they juped 40 chapters and 2 arcs and mashed it together in twenty minutes..
Jul 1, 2016 12:13 PM

Mar 2016
HyperL said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

To put it simply: yes

To be more in-depth: You won't have a clue what's going on.
The first anime adaptation (97) is a decent one of the first (chronological) arc, but skimps at both the beginning and end.
The film trilogy from 2 years ago is an even more condensed version of that same arc, but with much much worse writing and animation. Avoid this at all costs.

You could possibly watch Berserk 97 and get familiarized enough, but really the only way to go is the manga. But you'll have 16+ volumes of stuff to read before you should actually watch this anime... and then you'll just be disappointed.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Jul 1, 2016 12:14 PM
Oct 2010
byoushin said:
ichii_1 said:

People like you being satisfied with this shit quality is what's ruining anime and yes it was worse than what they showed.

What they promised.

you gave SAO a 10/10 which has terrible writing/characters, so you are more likely the type of person ruining anime.

bad plot? no worries
bad characters? no worries
bad everything? well it has high budget so it must be GREAT
- ichii's inner dialogue

At least SAO has a high budget, so far this adaptation has all the things you listed except it has a shit budget and animation on top of it. Well the characters aren't bad, but they are probably going to be judging where this is headed.

Jun 2015
Uberspyguy said:
Get ready for a metric ton of people who either hate this show because of:

A.) The CG
B.) Because it doesn't adapt the manga perfectly panel by panel

I think people need to realize that CG is going to become the norm in anime because it's much more efficient in terms of production than traditional 2d hand drawn animation and in terms of an adaptation do people not get the fact that anime and manga are two completely separate entities? They exist in parallel to each other. An anime doesn't have to adhere to the manga at all if the producers want to take it in a new direction. As someone who reads Berserk this first episode already shows that they are doing things differently than the source material but for all that is unholy can we not relish in the fact that we get to see Guts kill shit again?

If CG becomes the new norm then Anime will die. No one likes it. That's what happens when no one likes something; no one watches it, it doesn't get money, and it dies.

Just like my hopes of ever getting a faithful, decently animated adaptation.
Apr 2016
Oh ffs, there has been one eps, all the" skipped" chapters might come at others points as flashbacks or fuck if I know.
And If you have read the manga, So what, you already know what will happen.
Jul 1, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2016
byoushin said:
ichii_1 said:

What they promised.

you gave SAO a 10/10 which has terrible writing/characters, so you are more likely the type of person ruining anime.

bad plot? no worries
- ichii's inner dialogue

+1 for you in my book for the SAO comment. :)

Jul 1, 2016 12:18 PM

Jan 2014
_Peksi said:
NotAPeanut said:

I'm not saying you're not allowed to express your opinion, that is your right. People were saying that this show is garbage ever since the first trailer was released. Now that you have seen it and have formed the opinion that this is garbage, you have no reason to stick around anymore.

Aug 2015
Well shit, that was difficult to watch.
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Z4k said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
This is how it started in the manga, however the series will skip a major arc in the next episode , because it was already covered by the movies and the tv series. So you should watch either one of the two to understand Guts's goal and know his backstory.

Lost Children arc was never covered by the movies though.
True, the lost children arc wasn't adapted. I'm wondering if this series will decide to cover that arc later (rearranging the source material, just like ReLIFE).

Jun 2015
This is clearly garbage.

I think I'd better drop and read the manga...
ok :p
Jul 1, 2016 12:19 PM
Jan 2014
Really disappointed. The animation was below par and the music was atrocious. Throughout the whole episode, the noisy crap was so distracting...except for that solo piano piece that sort of resembles Moonlight Sonata. I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes because I'm a big fan of the manga. Hopefully, the series will improve!
Jul 1, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2013
byoushin said:

bad plot? no worries
- ichii's inner dialogue

>SAO is bad because I said so

Nice meme and dodging, let's get back to how shit the anime is.

>condense isidro, lost children bandits and meeting with puck in one scene
>isidro working as a bartender when he left home cause he hates working in the first place
>the bandits killing puck are the ones from lost children
>lost children was cut

ichii_1Jul 1, 2016 12:24 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:22 PM

Jul 2007
MagicalMahou said:
So this is Berserk... I can see why people like this so much.

But it is a particularly good kick-off to the season, compared to Spring *cough*Mayoiga*cough*

No, this is just some sort of vomit with Berserk title slapped onto it.

Its absolutely NOT representative of what people love.

comparing this to proper berserk is like comparing Big Order to NGE.

Cmterio said:
8.80 to 7.58

looooool

Still to ohigh.

nikhil- said:

Just imagine ufotable had done berserk 2016. OMG.

Sure if you want entire manga be done in 12 episodes.

Madhouse(big maybe), Bones or David Production would work out well I think.
Jul 1, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2014
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
NotAPeanut said:

Honestly, you should have seen this coming. I know I did.

People like us, who have no problems with the visual aspects, are just going to have to power through the hate. There's going to be a lot of it.

Can't say that I haven't seen it coming. I just have a fool's hope that now that everyone got that out of their systems we can actually talk about the show without seeing five pages of nothing but complaints.
Jul 1, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
Well, that was a disappointment. But it was obvious it was going to suck by watching the first trailer, so it's not that big of a surprise. Let's see if it can recover from this abysmal first episode or that it might get better later on.
Jul 1, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2009
NotAPeanut said:
_Peksi said:

I'm not saying you're not allowed to express your opinion, that is your right. People were saying that this show is garbage ever since the first trailer was released. Now that you have seen it and have formed the opinion that this is garbage, you have no reason to stick around anymore.

I'm pretty sure you told people exactly that their opinions aren't needed here but whatever.
Well calling it garbage based on the trailer is stupid, but it wasn't that promising either.
I have enough reasons
1. I'm a huge fan of Berserk, so I'm practically obligated to watch this
2. A miracle might happen and it gets better later
3. I just kinda wanna see how badly they'll manage to botch this up

Jul 1, 2016 12:27 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly enjoyed it regardless of the CG (used to it now, since Ajin and Sidonia no Kishi) and the adaptation seemed off. I was wondering what the hell was going on at the starting point. Weren't we supposed to start off with the black horseman rescuing Guts and taking him to the secret lair in the cave in which then he meets the fairy and same other girl? Its been a while since I read the manga, so not too sure.

Either way, people should just be happy that the anime is continuing, yes I am not too happy about the CG (I wouldn't absolutely mind if it was of better quality) and its weird that it started off in a different place. Did these events actually take place, I forgot if they did? If so, in what order did they take place, after Golden Age when he gets taken out of the hell pit or before that? Or did they just not happen at all?

Also what arc was skipped that people are talking about?
CejaraJul 1, 2016 12:32 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2014
The fuck is this CGI shit fest?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 1, 2016 12:28 PM

Oct 2015
The problem about this is not even the CGI, which is secondary.
To me the major problems are:
- The pacing (too quick)
- The camera all over the place
- The soundtrack is great but all over the place too

If the pacing was slower, the camera still and zoomed out, then it would already look much better.

Jul 2015
The CGI is just awful, dropped about halfway through.

3/10 what a disgrace.

May 2011
It's shit, utter trash. Dropped.
Jul 1, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2009
King_Saber said:
This is clearly garbage.

I think I'd better drop and read the manga...

Yes that would be by far the best choice, if you haven't read it yet

Jul 1, 2016 12:29 PM

Dec 2015
i haven't seen the original, is this a spoiler for me?

Jul 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Jan 2014
_Peksi said:
NotAPeanut said:

I'm pretty sure you told people exactly that their opinions aren't needed here but whatever.
Well calling it garbage based on the trailer is stupid, but it wasn't that promising either.
I have enough reasons
1. I'm a huge fan of Berserk, so I'm practically obligated to watch this
2. A miracle might happen and it gets better later
3. I just kinda wanna see how badly they'll manage to botch this up

Sorry if that's how my opinion of opinions came across. I just know that there is absolutely no reason for me to actually go on the discussion forums for this show now because it's going to be nothing but complaints.
Jul 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Mar 2013
Bernadottekun said:
El 3D es bastante malo, hay movimientos y posturas que se ven realmente poco naturales, incluso con algunos "errores" diría, creo que incluso las escenas de combate no están del todo bien logradas, no pudieron darle la potencia y fuerza que quisieron, ni lograron tampoco dar dramatismo cuando hizo falta, sin embargo el capitulo tiene tomas realmente buenas cuando va hacia la animación tradicional aunque prácticamente se utiliza para primeros planos de rostros, por otro lado es verdad, la única manera de ver todo lo que falta del manga animado quizá sea ésta, quizá la obra maestra de Berserk no se merezca este trato. Disculpas por lo extenso de mi critica hacia el capitulo

Un consejo, este foro es mayoritariamente inglés, así que no te van a hacer demasiado caso. Mejor escribe en inglés o busca un foro en español. Lo siento, pero es lo que hay :(

Translation: "Some advice, this forum is mostly in english, so almost no one is going to bother reading your opinion. You should write in english or look for a spanish forum. Sorry, but that's it :("

And for the chapter itself... Well, another proof that we can't have a decent Berserk adaptation. I´m from Spain so this is even funnier considering that the manga here was published by three different publishers, and two of them went bankrupt after publishing it xD
andr1us17Jul 1, 2016 12:35 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2015
Soooo....
I haven't either read the manga or watched the previous anime adaptation, but I've heard a lot about Berserk and it seems AWESOME!! Hahaha, on the other hand, I don't think I'll be eable to stand this 3D animation, as I couldn't stand Ajin either. Still, I'm looking forward the the next episode, though I think the manga would be a much better alternative :)

Aug 2013
I don't mind the CG but it was just sloppily done. It was more clumsy than the CG used in Sailor Moon Crystal during the transformation sequences. The thing that is sad about this series is the way they did the story. Everyone should be used to a little skewing when it comes to adaptations but considering how badly they did this by mixing the Black Swordsman Arc with the Retribution Arc? My god I could die. Thankfully I've been reading the manga.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 2018
NotAPeanut said:
I just have a fool's hope that now that everyone got that out of their systems we can actually talk about the show without seeing five pages of nothing but complaints.

Only a matter of time. People are shallow, they will lock onto the CGI and complain about that for a while. When they're done we'll be able to properly analyze this thing (since art only amounts to 20% of any score I give).

Besides, CG is always prime material for shitposters on MAL.
Jul 1, 2016 12:33 PM

Mar 2016
Fuseteam said:
i haven't seen the original, is this a spoiler for me?

Yeah, man. It's like picking up a book 16 chapters in. You could still keep watching it (if it improves) and see if what lead up to this might interest you, then you can go to the original manga.

To be fair, the manga starts off (volume 1) chronologically at volume 14+, so, that was already kind of a spoiler.

May 2010
Berserk still cant get a proper anime with good animation that covers stuff before and past the eclipse.

CGI was terrible even tho it didnt bother me this much.

Its new berserk stuff animated so im watching it anyways but im just glad i did read the manga.
Dec 2009
It was ok. The animation was weird but it's better than nothing I guess. 5/10

Dec 2009
holy shit this garbage is ranked #12
Jul 1, 2016 12:35 PM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
Sega saturn graphics lmao! Wit studio needs to take control of Berserk.
at this point any other studio that isn't literally who Millepensee would do (preferably MAPPA)
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jul 1, 2016 12:35 PM
Oct 2010
Kerozinn said:
Berserk still cant get a proper anime with good animation that covers stuff before and past the eclipse.

Its new berserk stuff animated so im watching it anyways but im just glad i did read the manga.

That's the weird thing for me to, the CG actually didn't bother me as much as the other things. I just don't see why they keep cheaping out on berserk adaptations. With all the money they spent on the 3 movies + this they could have done ONE good TV series.
Jul 1, 2016 12:36 PM

Mar 2016
GD1551 said:
Kerozinn said:

That's the weird thing for me to, the CG actually didn't bother me as much as the other things. I just don't see why they keep cheaping out on berserk adaptations. With all the money they spent on the 3 movies + this they could have done ONE good TV series.

^Everyone needs to see this quote.

Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

185 by Bird88882227 »»
Oct 1, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

82 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 30, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

61 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 29, 10:32 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

95 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 28, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2016

145 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 27, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.