Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Initial D
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 7, 2015 7:30 PM

Dec 2011
That GT86 in the end... Whoa.
It was a great ending to Initial Dream.
Jan 8, 2015 7:14 AM
Jul 2012
The one time I thank commie subs. I would have missed the hidden message on the license plate of the GT86. 86239 Hachi-roku ni sankyuu...Thank you Eight-Six
Feb 4, 2015 7:55 PM

Jul 2008
lol show ended with Takumi being the only one with a Girlfriend but overall was good still liked first and fourth best tho
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Mar 12, 2015 7:25 AM

Aug 2014
R.I.P AE86.

Seems like happy endings for everyone. Keisuke, Takumi and Mako all graduated to the pro scene. Itsuki, Keji, and Iketani still working at their beloved gas station. Ryo scouting out new talent to forge the next great racer also...

I hope one day we could get a sequel to the manga with Takumi vs Bunta and maybe some pro action though that is unlikely. Overall I give the series a 9/10 :)
Mar 27, 2015 9:05 PM
Jan 2014
I found this ending to be a very satisfying cap to the series. The only thing that might really interest me is a prequel spinoff centred around Bunta's racing peak.
Apr 1, 2015 1:04 AM

Dec 2008
Its over....After years of watching friends play them silly games, and GTA stuff, and all the fast and furious junk...I can finally put some of this ricerocket obsession behind me and move onward. Sad that I had to get these OVAs under my belt, but, C'est la vie. It had to be done, and the young must ever move onward, toward their dream lol. FREEDOM!!! 4.5/10
Apr 2, 2015 9:37 AM

Apr 2011
It finally come to an end. I am very happy Takumi won. I think it wouldn't be a satisfying conclusion if he lost. That was really exciting at the end. I thought he'll lose when the engine blew off. Good thing his experience helped him in the end. Too bad the AE86 had to rest. I can understand why he can't part to it yet considering it was that car that he drove since he was a highschool student. That a was a nice cameo of the GT86. I hope Takumi gets one.

The ending song gave me a lot of nostalgia feels and it reminded me of the time I watched the first Initial D more than a decade ago. Watching all the first series and even the live action movie. It reminds me of my younger days. The song takes me back to the 90's era when being a kid was fun and little to no responsibilities.

Also, even thought Takumi is happy with his new girlfriend its sad that Iketani and Mako never get together. Its a waste because not only is she hot, she likes car and a good driver.

I will never forget this series.
MagitoApr 2, 2015 9:49 AM
Apr 11, 2015 3:01 AM
Apr 2015
wonder about both takumi & shinji's 86....
i know they are different versions, but is shinji's 86 stock or modified?

if it is stock one, why is it could stand a chance against takumi's high rev engine & team D's intense modification? is it modified by kubo?

plz gimme explanation :(
Apr 17, 2015 5:07 PM

Mar 2012
So basically

- Takumi vs Keisuke rematch never happens
- Takumi vs Bunta never happens
- Mako and Iketani never made up
- Keisuke didn't hook up with Kyoko after Project D ended
- They decide to kill the eight-six on a crappy race against a cocky momma's boy
- Everyone besides Takumi and Keisuke just basically stopped racing or showed no sign of improvement whatsoever (well besides Mako going pro which just came out of nowhere)

Yea....that could've gone a whole lot better. Last 2 stages just kinda killed it for me. 1-4 were very enjoyable though so it was a pretty good anime overall.
Jul 23, 2015 9:13 PM
Jun 2015
anya_vanya said:
wonder about both takumi & shinji's 86....
i know they are different versions, but is shinji's 86 stock or modified?

if it is stock one, why is it could stand a chance against takumi's high rev engine & team D's intense modification? is it modified by kubo?

plz gimme explanation :(

It's safe to assume that kubo modified Shinji's 86
Jul 27, 2015 2:16 PM
May 2015
Hey I know it isnt particularly related to this discussion but I didnt know where else, to post. Are there any other animes like Initial D, its really the only anime I like and would love to find some that are similar, thanks guys :)
Aug 18, 2015 5:09 PM

May 2013
Saint_The_D said:
Hey I know it isnt particularly related to this discussion but I didnt know where else, to post. Are there any other animes like Initial D, its really the only anime I like and would love to find some that are similar, thanks guys :)

Wangan Midnight is something, but not nearly as good...

In retrospect it great to finally see some conclusion. But I think fifth and final stages didn't really shine like the rest.
Nov 5, 2015 7:12 AM
Dec 2009
So.... it's over. I've actually been putting off watching the last two seasons for awhile now. I finally went through them all now.

I started watching Initial D back in high school. Myself and a bunch of guy friends got really into it. I remember watching the live action movie again and again when it first came out, and buying all the English manga at a local bookstore...

I loved Initial D so much I even thought about going into car repair at one point, because I was so intrigued by it all...

It's weird, because even after seeing this ending it doesn't feel over. Takumi and the gang are out there trying, and succeeding, in going pro. That's how it feels :)

I hope one day maybe we'll get a OVA that gives us a look at Takumi as a pro, or maybe a prequel showing Takumi's dad's past.

Thank you for everything Initial D. You had your rough spots but I've enjoyed you a lot over the years and grew up with you. Thanks <3

Ekaros said:
Saint_The_D said:

Wangan Midnight is something, but not nearly as good...

I agree with the Wangan Midnight recommendation. It's different but if you loved the cars and stories in Initial D I think you'll enjoy it.
Nov 17, 2015 8:01 AM

Jun 2014
Takumi being in the stands for the pro's race really shows how far he has come to reach this stage. Thus the legend ends like that. 8/10.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 22, 2015 3:06 AM

Aug 2011
Avenger-senpai said:
So basically

- They decide to kill the eight-six on a crappy race against a cocky momma's boy
- Everyone besides Takumi and Keisuke just basically stopped racing or showed no sign of improvement whatsoever (well besides Mako going pro which just came out of nowhere)

Thank you. I thought this was pretty good until I saw this comment. It really opened my eyes to what could've been, and then to what this Stage actually was.
Dec 17, 2015 4:03 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
The legend has ended, The legend of fujiwara tofu has ended, It has ended T_T ...

Great Finale.

Sucks some stuff was left open, but don't care. Fujiwara techniques were used AE86 had it's final breath.

Final battle was somewhat Fujiwara vs Fujiwara , both grown on their hometown hill, both intentional geniuses.

:D Tho dat Shinji.. annoying fuck as Shinji in Evangelion.

Though.. that final scene was somewhat tease.. new model of car showed up on the hill.. but driver's face wasn't shown.

Final stage was great, fifth was kinda boring. Older series were good because of Fujiwara oddity and miracle techniques.. while fifth stage had this more "pro's" feel to it.. Thankfully final stage gave Fujiwara feel back.

EDIT: Someone mentioned as if it didn't end and maybe we see Takumi going "pro".
NO PLEASE.. I hate pro racing. because of all it's strict rules & "safety" measures.. Freedom of Street Racing is so much more fun, exhilarating as well..
May 24, 2016 1:07 AM

May 2012
Oh man that was an intense ending I must say! Didn't expect that engine to blow again and him still winning, but damn those driving skills where out of this world!

Really awesome ending for this franchise with one of the best and most intense races!

While they probably could advance the story further, I do find this a good point in the story to finish it!

Having some of the original OST was also a nice touch.

All in all a superb anime franchise I must say! Looking forward to marathon the movies when they're all released!
May 25, 2016 3:47 PM
Dec 2014
Nice end to the series.I hope there will be one day an spin-off of initial D about pro racing.
Nov 10, 2016 2:35 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Everything else was mediocre besides the ending where they showed an after-story with the first ending theme. Felt nostalgic.
Nov 16, 2016 7:38 AM
Nov 2009
Tiago97 said:
Avenger-senpai said:
So basically

Thank you. I thought this was pretty good until I saw this comment. It really opened my eyes to what could've been, and then to what this Stage actually was.

Totally agree...This show could have atleast been 10+ years longer. So much more things could have improved. The Keisuke vs Takumi rematch is something I'd pay to watch. Imo the show peaked mid season 4 when Project D faced their first pro drivers. After that the show went all metaphysical with the "seeing wings" after cars and Ryosuke talking more like a bishop in religion than a coach for a driving team. I also thought the initial D meant determination or something less idealistic than "Dream". I'd still probably rewatch the show or the movies since I enjoyed the beginning battles a lot.
Nov 23, 2016 8:13 AM
Jan 2015
nameskizo said:
Tiago97 said:

Totally agree...This show could have atleast been 10+ years longer. So much more things could have improved. The Keisuke vs Takumi rematch is something I'd pay to watch. Imo the show peaked mid season 4 when Project D faced their first pro drivers. After that the show went all metaphysical with the "seeing wings" after cars and Ryosuke talking more like a bishop in religion than a coach for a driving team. I also thought the initial D meant determination or something less idealistic than "Dream". I'd still probably rewatch the show or the movies since I enjoyed the beginning battles a lot.

There were even more skipped threads:
- Impresa 4x4 vs 86 on Akina. And what conclusions did Fujiwara make from riding two different cars?
- Bunta at one point said that he could have done one more thing to improve his son's skills but he had never really done it.
- the whole one hand driving plot. I hoped that Fujiwara would show Godhand skills in the last battle...
- we did not see the future of Fujiwara. Did he become pro? It felt disappointing that the legend was still delivering Tofu.
- Akina Speed Stars and friends from Akina were basically dumped. They were being showed but they did nothing interesting.

But somehow I understand why the series was ended. Initial D felt really outdated. All those old cars, pro mechanic discussing whether you should use a car with ABS or not etc.
Dec 5, 2016 2:59 AM

Mar 2010
Well, the ending feels kind of open, but I suppose it was a nice ride to the end.

4th stage was, by far, my favourite. Noizy Tribe/Dogfight were also OPs I never skipped.

That's some signature, eh?
Dec 5, 2016 5:49 PM
Feb 2015
damn good to see Takumi win! the end.... such an awesome series...
Dec 6, 2016 9:37 AM

Aug 2015
Great ending to a great series. I think this is the perfect place to end, since the series really is about the early years and formation of a future racing driver.
Nice to see the GT86 pop up at the end.

Avenger-senpai said:

Takumi vs Keisuke: Now one is a downhiller and the other is a hill climber. Yes they are both street racers, but their cars are definitely tuned for their specialty. I imagine it would be difficult for Takumi to keep with Keisuke's RX7 in a hillclimb due to the lack of power.

Takumi vs Bunta would be interesting, but it doesn't seem like Bunta wants to challenge his son anytime soon. Bunta still seems to think of himself as superior though, and if the way he passed Takumi with his WRX on the Akina course in Fourth Stage is anything to go by, then Takumi still needs to improve.

Mako's story is explained in the two extra stage episodes, although it is quite ironical that do not meet since they both attend Takumi's final race.

The 86 won't be killed since Takumi decided to keep it in his garage and repair it bit by bit with his own money.

All the other racers were kinda meant to be obstacles for Project D to overcome, and since they are street racers, it is not hard to assume that they are still trying to hone their skills and continue racing.
Dec 22, 2016 3:07 AM

May 2016
I think this season didn't need 4 episodes but 3 because they put ttoo much dialogues. But Damn, this end was so epic. His victory in reverse was just awesome. Best ending of a race ever in Initial D.

Only one default: The race was too "shounen".
Jan 17, 2017 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, this series was a lot better than I expected when I first started watching. Awesome series overall. However, it would've been awesome to see a few matchups like Takumi vs his dad and Keisuke (again). They also could've done a bit better in the romance department as well. I feel bad for the trio of lonely drivers. Soundtrack in this series was also top notch.
Jan 22, 2017 10:26 AM
Nov 2016
kingkash said:
ae86 and gt86 such beauty :D btw any idea who was driving that gt86 ?

Just like when Bunta bought the new WRX STI Imprezza because he needed a new car, I want to think that it was Bunta again! This really makes sense since in the last episode Takumi just blew up the AE86. Since they are now back down to only one car, Bunta got the new GT86!
Feb 8, 2017 3:39 AM

Oct 2012
Rage your dream I miss you!!
Tsundere kids still at it xD

RIP Hachiroku, you've done more than enough
86-239
Someday I'll get you.. My Dream car!

Weird ending for me, it could end more better than this
But somehow I'm pretty satisfied
So yeah! Thank you for the long journey!
"Signature removed"
Jun 2, 2017 3:14 AM
Jul 2018
Corleone said:
Meh that GT-86 add was out of place. Otherwise it was great.
the translate said
notice plates say: 86-239, which means thank you 86

overall 10/10 series
Jul 4, 2017 3:17 PM

Feb 2014
Hearing Rage Your Dream at the end was heart warming

Nov 4, 2017 9:09 AM

Jan 2013
Really sad I finished the whole series. Though I still have the battle stage and extra stages, plus the movies.

This final stage gets a 7 from me, it's actually the least scored out of the other stages because it was short and focused only on one battle. Glad Takumi won but I felt sad for the 86.

That GT-86 gave me chills, I really liked that cameo.
Dec 8, 2017 9:38 PM

Jan 2015
And so it ended, matters unsettled, the most important thing is the biggest opponent still remains undefeated. And it's lame that the legendary 86 has to retire due to some stupid copy and a cocky little brat.

Final stage: 5/10. Series: 7/10. It was amazing the first 2 stages, what a pity.

Avenger-senpai said:
So basically

Yea....that could've gone a whole lot better. Last 2 stages just kinda killed it for me. 1-4 were very enjoyable though so it was a pretty good anime overall.

Couldn't say better myself.
Dec 16, 2017 8:20 PM

Nov 2015
It's been a long drive but were finally at the destination. Great series, had a blast watching it all. I do feel empty that there is no Keisuke rematch or an official Bunta vs Takumi battle. Oh well maybe the future will surprise me.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Feb 7, 2018 7:26 AM

Jul 2009
Stages 1-4 were great. Then cars started to teleport... Kinda disappointing that this series went - ehem - downhill, the only exception being Ryo vs Shinigami (the chills were REAL). And then there's shinji ikari for some reason... GODS DAMN IT, STOP RUINING ANIME SHINJI.

Disappointing ending to otherwise great series, sad!
Feb 18, 2018 11:31 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, very exciting ending! 5/5
I was wondering why the RPMs were so low the last few episodes... knowing that engine did 11k... I had assumed it was just the way the course was causing it... 12k is too much! That's the 2nd engine he blew, but gliding to the finish in reverse was pretty epic.

Had he been running at 11k all the time, he wouldn't have made that mistake because he would have known how the engine sounds.

No Kyoko? ... so disappointing.

I think I'll leave this with 7/10 (good) just because this last episode was really great. (I thought Fourth Stage was the best of the series.)
I'm kinda sad it's over. I'll check out Legend later.
D means Dream
Feb 18, 2018 7:23 PM

May 2014
Lovely ending, but it's dissapointing that we never got that Takumi vs Keisuke rematch and that Takumi never used the god hand technique in a race.
Mar 9, 2018 3:25 PM

Dec 2013
am i late to the party lol. I just finished this series in 2018 and it was an amazing series. I'm very glad i gave this series a chance. To anyone who has read both the manga and watched the anime, is there any big differences or is it okay if i just finish with the anime only?
9/10 i freaking loved INITAL D

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Sep 17, 2018 3:49 PM

Sep 2011
As lackluster as expected. This anime had some good moments, but it always fell short of being good. My biggest complaint is with the way they cut Mogi, she was one of the best characters in the story, one of the most fleshed out, and after the third stage she was just discarded, even though it felt like she would come back at first. It just feels like a big waste, the Mika girl came out of nowhere, and was never really compelling either.

And I should've expected that the D from "Project D" stood for "dream" since Ryousuke said that this is what driving was for him, but I didn't care enough to notice, but well, it's nice. And the only rewarding thing about this ending was to see Keisuke, and especially Mako, as professional racers. She was the best girl, and one of the best racers, so it was great. That car at the end with a "thank you 86", and the familiar song were nice touches too, but well, that's it. I wish I could say I'm glad that I persevered, but it was ultimately underwhelming. I will still watch the movies, who knows, maybe their pace/presentation feels better or something, but I'm glad that this is over, it's crazy how the name of the work itself had more to do with Ryousuke than with Takumi, and that in the end he didn't even become a professional racer like he said he would, he ended just like he started, and it's... Well, I already said it. Farewell Initial D.
Sep 19, 2018 1:10 AM

Mar 2012
Absolutely loved this show, been super hooked on it since the first episode. I feel lost now that its over

Feriafansomega said:
Lovely ending, but it's dissapointing that we never got that Takumi vs Keisuke rematch

Yeah I was wondering why that never happened, felt like I was going crazy, because I thought there would be no way they would end without that, the whole show I assumed the last race would be that match (like after they completed Project D, they would have that rematch).
Oct 13, 2018 12:27 PM

Dec 2014
Decent ending, I guess they had to end it somewhere.

Personally, I did not like this last race. It felt so out of place and tacked on, Shinji was a terrible last opponent to the series and this last race was nowhere near as exciting as some of the previous one in the series. They should've had a Takumi vs Bunta race for an amazing send off but I guess that'll never happen.

The Wings and Takumi's reverse win were easily the best parts of the episode and really epic, shame the rest of the episodes in this final stage had nothing at that level.

Overall, great series, very strong start and kept going strong for the first 4 stages. Fifth stage and the Final stage were arguably a lot more lackluster and lacked the intensity and excitement of the first four. The series isn't pulled down completely by them but it's kinda sad that they nowhere near as good and the final race was honestly disappointing on a story level. Still I really enjoyed Initial D and I will remember it.

8/10, for the first four stages
7/10, for the fifth and final stage.

I'd put the overall at an 8/10

I still really wish that Bunta vs Takumi happened, their relationship was one of the major driving points for me in this series.
Dec 4, 2018 10:00 PM

Nov 2017
Keisuke's engine never blew during the anime but Takumi blew 2 engines, therefore, rotaries are superior.
Jun 23, 2019 5:58 AM
Apr 2016
Well, the closure was rather great in my opinion, just like I hoped, Takumi won, even though it was a borderline win this time.
Jul 14, 2019 4:12 AM

Jan 2013
Aw shit, it's over. I feel kinda empty now. A great show in general, had some ups and downs (no other season matched the quality of the First Stage imo, and the Fifth one wasn't as good as the rest), but I enjoyed all of it nonetheless. I'll really miss it. Gotta watch the New Initial D movies now.
fuyukiJul 14, 2019 7:43 AM
Sep 9, 2019 8:13 AM
Aug 2015
It was definitely a good series Initial D and after arguably one of the best Seasons (Fifth Stage), I really don't think the ending was as good as I had hoped it would be.

I can understand the reasons for why a character like Shinji exists... Takumi was obviously going to face a character like Shinji not only because he drives an almost Identical car, but because he is more or less the same person. Trained at a young age, with supernatural abilities. However, I would much rather have seen a final duel between Bunta and Takumi, as I feel that would have ended the series better than it did.

As for scenes at the very end. It is obvious Keisuke becomes a bring along with Mako, and although Takumi is offered a chance at being a pro, I don't believe that because we didn't actually see the same scenes, he didn't become one. I feel the scene was more to show you, how he had mastered the art of one hand steering which he was taught by the god driver at the end of the previous season. It's also not too uncommon for him to be doing two jobs at once. Afterall, for more or less the entire series, he had 2 roles to perform. Him being in Bunta's car doesn't automatically mean he didn't become a pro though.
Sep 30, 2019 9:07 AM
Jul 2017
Is this the end of the series?,and the last second when takumi saw FT86,maybe he will buy that car?
Nov 16, 2019 3:41 AM

Jan 2018
Well, that's it. After five stages and a half, the story of Takumi ends there. Even though the race at the end was just rofl. It was satisfying. I still hated that Shiniji, he's way too annoying, more annoying that Itsuki. Bumping Takumi led him into an awakening.

At least, his win was for sure this time. Unlike the fourth stage, Joshima should've won that.

Thank you for service, AE86. May you ride the Akina Pass once more...

8/10

The current 86 is there too? Wut?

Really final note. Thank you, Initial D. For everything.
Nainu_Nov 16, 2019 3:52 AM
Apr 7, 2020 12:52 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Amazing race to conclude Initial D, overall it was a very good anime 8/10
Apr 24, 2020 1:16 AM
Apr 2019
Wow... what a experience it is a masterpiece
Jul 23, 2020 8:58 PM

Jun 2015
And what happened to Mogi?
Aug 12, 2020 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
What a crazy finale!

The race felt almost as if they were driving bumper cars – so much body contact and passes. I certainly hit F for Takumi's 86's engine that could, even past 12 000 revolutions. And across the finish line, backwards.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Initial D Final Stage Episode 2 Discussion

SilentTruth - May 26, 2014

33 by Kraum »»
Jan 12, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Initial D Final Stage Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - May 20, 2014

43 by Kraum »»
Jan 12, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Initial D Final Stage Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2014

31 by Hazamelis »»
Dec 14, 2023 1:02 AM

» The consequences of her action: which thot?

LAKool-AidGang - Aug 5, 2023

2 by sustak »»
Aug 7, 2023 1:02 PM

» Queen Thot

LAKool-AidGang - Aug 3, 2023

7 by UnlegitMilku »»
Aug 4, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.