Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2009 7:22 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my Ino waited for so long!!! But it was interesting to see the development of her and Sakura's characters. So they used to be best friends. I'm glad there is at least someone to help Sakura.

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Jul 31, 2009 2:20 AM

Mar 2009
That was really sweet its nice to see Sakura stepping up. Can't wait to see what will happen next.

Nov 15, 2009 7:35 AM

Jun 2009
Cool episode
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Mar 18, 2010 1:56 PM
Sep 2009
that was like a ufc fight, sakura got pounded in the head at least a thousand times lol
Mar 21, 2010 4:31 AM

Mar 2010
omg Ino makes a show of herself and then embrasses herself.
but you get to see Sakura get beaten up! in Shippuuden she gets so more useful but right now shes in the way. (so sorry Sakura X(
May 4, 2010 3:17 PM

Apr 2010
I was surprised to see Sakura fight the way she has. A friend told me she's pretty useless until Shippuden but even then she's not worth much =(

Jul 28, 2010 1:34 PM

Jul 2010
sasuke is a monster.... cant wait til naruto and sasuke have a deathmatch
Jul 30, 2010 12:40 AM
Sep 2009
Sakura's a badass. :o
Sep 28, 2010 1:32 AM

Oct 2008
Sigh.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 26, 2010 8:40 AM
Aug 2009
Finally we get to see Sakura actually fighting for once but at least shes not the only one now.
Apr 21, 2011 5:29 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Sakura earned major points in this episode. You got to respect someone who knows they don't stand a chance in hell at winning a fight but do it anyway to protect those around her. So, yes, that was definitely bad ass.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 7, 2012 7:57 PM

Aug 2012
i wish they would've gave sakura at least one go to jutsu in the show. naruto has his clones jutsu, sasuke has his fire jutsu and sharingan. would it be that much trouble to have given her a nifty go to move at least to make things more interesting. she's too predictable.
Jul 8, 2013 9:50 AM

Dec 2008
It's about damn time, Sakura!

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 8, 2013 12:22 PM

May 2011
This was Sakura's episode indeed. It was admirable how she cut her own hair, took that hit, and went in for the kill. She looks better with short hair anyway.

Also, I face-palm at the flashback. I guess that's a part of growing up though right? At least Ino stepped in for Sakura at the end there, which is a good sign.

Let's go underdogs!
Kayaba-Jan 7, 2015 4:10 PM
Mar 12, 2014 11:52 AM

Nov 2012
wow, ino really let sakura take a lot of hits to the dome before deciding to jump in..
Jun 18, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2014
I was glad to see Sakura step up and defend her friends even though she couldn't possibly beat the Song guys. Sasuke is a serious badass. I want to see more of his power now that he has the Curse Mark!
Aug 1, 2014 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
Respect to Sakura... And let Shikamaru fight!!
Aug 13, 2014 1:26 AM
May 2012
I remember watching this episode on Cartoon Network, and after that, we went somewhere, it was raining outside. It happened like, 5 or 6 years ago. Ahhh, the memories~
Yes, Sakura blossomed <3
Hey, I like girls with long hair, too T^T Well, I like girls with long hair, but Sakura looks better with short hair.
Ino to the rescue!!
Dec 5, 2014 11:26 AM

Nov 2009
Sakura took one hell of a beating there, Glad to see her fight back though.
Jan 7, 2015 3:53 PM

Jan 2015
T^T so emotional

Way to go Sakura :D I'm glad Ino stepped in and I love the backstory
Jan 21, 2015 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
Rewatching!

Oh my what a sad episode, made me cry so much. Sakura did blossom!
Aug 31, 2016 6:41 AM
Dec 2014
Sakura was badass this episode
Sep 8, 2016 1:41 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hard not to respect someone who's so fighting so desperately, despite not having much skills and knowing the opponents are stronger. I'll always remember this moment, how cool Sakura looked when she cut her hair, with those determined eyes, willing to do anything to protect her teammates. It's great that she was also inspired by Rock Lee, even if she doesn't like him in that way. And Ino was then inspired by Sakura. Although that flashback though, isn't it usually hoes before bros? I've had the same crush as my friends before a few times throughout the primary education years, but we've never had this competition thing....
Mar 1, 2017 9:21 PM

Oct 2008
I saw this episode so long ago... And rewatching it now made me think of something.

Every time I feel really weak or depressed or lose confidence, I end up...chopping off my hair. XD Not with a kunai, lol, but something about slashing off all that extra weight makes me feel super energetic and slightly badass? I never really knew why.

Probably because of this episode. I used to relate to Sakura's feelings of being useless and wanting to be stronger. Somehow the act of foresaking the old shallow stereotype of longhairedwoman=moreattractive left a huge impression on me.

...But ya btw Ino you could have yknow helped Sakura not get brain dmg from all that punching sooner XD
Mar 2, 2017 7:51 AM

Dec 2016
Oh my god! Sakura doing something productive in a fight!! Holy shitefest!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 3, 2017 12:51 PM

Nov 2014
Regardless of how many times I watch it, I can't help but admire Sakura. She was useless, and she knew it.
She used whatever she know best, the basics! I really loved her.

Aug 30, 2017 8:18 PM

May 2012
Well that sure was some nice backstory and character development! And damn that sure is one way to get away from being caught on your hair, but jeez I sure never like hair changes in anime!
Sep 8, 2017 12:41 PM

Feb 2015
That was pretty badass.
Sep 23, 2017 2:22 AM

Jul 2016
Rewatching too.

One of the most memorable episodes for me. This was the moment I started to like Sakura and believe in her. She was so inspiring... And strong as her limits allowed.

Now I'm 23 but I remember watching this with 14 years. Almost 10 years back... And since then she IS my favorite! I felt weak and useless too but I can fight for what I love. I'm so happy that today I feel good about myself and her... Omg, I have no words for Sakura on Boruto's show. She's so strong, confident and amazing! She's married with the Sasuke cute boy (who did a lot of shit, we know) and has a amazing child Sarada.
Hahaha is that so strange that I am so proud of her? It's so nice to see where she got... She'll be always in my heart.

Sakura never stops to blossom.
Jul 19, 2019 9:36 PM

Mar 2015
Sakura finally stepping up and maturing!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 13, 2019 6:16 AM

Apr 2015
I thought this time, after all that monologue and throwback sakura would really surprise us and show that she knows how to use her brain for something, but honestly it was very weak.
Disappointed but not surprised.
(And she looks way better with short hair)
Jul 24, 2020 1:00 AM

Mar 2012
it's so weird watching this after boruto. i really like sakura there, but i know she's too weak here.
this episode was a bit sad when you think about it. she finally makes up her mind and try to fight for her friends, but she doesn't do much and ends up needing help... again.
not that there's nothing wrong with getting help, but it's kinda underwhelming when you see the character finally getting up to fight and ending up the way she did.

on another note, was shikamaru's design always this weird?
Feb 16, 2021 3:52 PM

Dec 2007
sakura is so much better as badass character.

ino is the opposite though.
Apr 5, 2021 3:30 PM

Jan 2019
well its a sakura focused episode, so i knew it was going to be bad
imagine cutting off your friend who helped you go through hard times, because u ''like'' the same guy lmao.
also cutting off your hair to seem ''badass'' and exclaiming that youre going to protect everyone (while still failing to do so) is also hilarious
good on her for admitting shes a waste tho
Apr 6, 2021 3:02 PM

Dec 2007
returnaturperil said:

imagine cutting off your friend who helped you go through hard times, because u ''like'' the same guy lmao.
also cutting off your hair to seem ''badass'' and exclaiming that youre going to protect everyone (while still failing to do so) is also hilarious
women are like that that bro, there's a man they like? they fight.
and the hair is common anime thing for heroine that's going to change herself, short hair on anime women character is "badass women" for them.
Oct 4, 2021 4:39 AM

Jan 2019
User-Name said:
returnaturperil said:

and the hair is common anime thing for heroine that's going to change herself, short hair on anime women character is "badass women" for them.

lool
im a girl myself, and i hate the ''short hair = strong woman'' trope. like just tie it up pls
Oct 4, 2021 4:46 AM

Dec 2007
returnaturperil said:
User-Name said:

lool
im a girl myself, and i hate the ''short hair = strong woman'' trope. like just tie it up pls
srry didn't know ^^'

and it's matter of opinion i think.
just noted that japanese do that a lot in anime.
Oct 4, 2021 4:50 AM

Jan 2019
User-Name said:
returnaturperil said:

lool
srry didn't know ^^'

and it's matter of opinion i think.
just noted that japanese do that a lot in anime.

no problem, actually i agree with you when it comes to fighting

ive also seen it in other forms of media. i guess hair can symbolize femininity
Apr 29, 2022 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Ending a bff friendship 'cuz of Sasuke... lmao
Apr 29, 2022 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Ending a bff friendship 'cuz of Sasuke... lmao
Sep 1, 2022 8:38 AM
Mar 2021
mi sono vista in alcune parole di Sakura... anche se non è il mio personaggio preferito, devo dire che qua mi ha piuttosto sorpresa
Sep 21, 2022 7:26 AM
Jan 2022
Sakura wasn't useless for the first time
Dec 27, 2022 8:47 AM

Dec 2021
Sakura finally showed some balls and I freaking love it. I knew she was stronger than what we've seen previously.
Feb 25, 2023 2:41 PM
May 2021
I loved this episode! It was so wholesome. Finally Sakura actually did something in a fight other than screaming someone's name. I'm glad Ino decided to help her. Also, I've only just noticed this, but what is actually the point of the shuriken/kunai? 90% of the time somebody throws them and they don't do anything. In fact, I don't think I've seen any damage come from them at all yet unless it was self-inflicted.
May 23, 2023 10:00 AM
May 2023
extremely weak background story for sakura and im slowly getting tired by how much she is being ignored and made useless in the series thus far. for a "climax" this was possibly one of the most disappointing ones i have ever seen.
Aug 13, 2023 10:37 PM
Sep 2020
that's my girl

ppl seem to forget that sakura is not "useless", she's just a normal girl put next to absolute monsters and most of the time her lack of agency is frustrating to watch, but the writer's fault for refusing to let her use any of the skills that were clearly communicated to us she is supposed to have

this episode was refreshing because for the first time in a while sakura was treated like an actual character instead of a soundboard and we got to see her fight, which i loved!
she has also proven how incredibly fierce she truly is, knowing full well that she cannot stand a chance alone and exhausted (ppl pretend she didn't carry both naruto and sasuke to a safe place, where she built traps, took care of them and stayed up for a long time, the little sleep she did get disturbed by the nightmares of the TRAUMATIC experience they just went through + we do not see her drink or eat at all, so.. like, i'd like everyone who keeps complaining to take several seats lmao), she still stood her ground, taking several kunais and punches and ofc there's this incredible moment of her cutting off her hair which holds so much meaning
and at this point, frankly, if you refuse to acknowlege how badass sakura was in this episode that's imo ignorant like you WANT to hate her.. like just admit you're bitter and keep it moving, yikes
Nov 17, 2023 8:46 PM

Jul 2017
Damn not me tearing up but seriously this was so sad to watch Sakura has balls and cares for her friends, she did what she could with what she knows and for her level it's good
Jan 5, 7:24 AM

Jul 2020
oh so "blossoming" for Sakura meant to cut off her hair to look even uglier than usual and get her teeth kicked in afterwards. the girl shoulda stayed a bud, lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Episode 27 Discussion

Vitka_Lynx - Dec 9, 2008

35 by SaltyCookie »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Naruto Episode 220 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Alicia3000 - Aug 31, 2009

127 by NAMOZDZD »»
Yesterday, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 24 Discussion

Vitka_Lynx - Dec 6, 2008

39 by SaltyCookie »»
Jun 9, 7:16 AM

» To long time fans who know the series in and out:

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 4

42 by Naru_Se »»
Jun 8, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Naruto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

smokes - Jul 16, 2009

52 by FMmatron »»
Jun 7, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.