Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2012
This was probably the most funnest 24 minutes of my life! Would really love to see anime pump out with this quality of production.

I will now have Trigger under my radar :3
Apr 6, 2013 10:08 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
The anime Harry Potter.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2013 10:20 AM

Sep 2012
Fui said:
Akko wasn't really "suddenly powered up." I think you missed the director's message.
I don't think I missed it. I just think that the message is not conveyed effectively given how Akko looks "suddenly powered up" because she seemed to be able to master that powerful magic so quickly on the fly.

Fui said:
Shiny Chariot had a bad reputation because she used magic as a means to perform entertainment. Tricks/illusion, not "real" practical magic to be used by wizards. However, Akko dispels that belief in the end.
Well, the question is how she got to the point of being dismissed and ridiculed - we have to assume that the monster she destroyed at the beginning of the anime was not a real one, but somehow her magic was actually real and powerful. Why couldn't she prove that? So there is a gap of what had happened. I know the reason (which is what you said, tricks/illusion) which are all stated in the anime, but how she got to fall so low, being dismissed by almost every students in the magic school Akko met, is not really clarified.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 6, 2013 10:37 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Seems to be Chariot's magic is able to reconvert magical energy to fireworks. At least that's how Akko released all the magical energy powering up the dragon...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2013 2:44 PM

Mar 2008
symbv said:
Fui said:
Akko wasn't really "suddenly powered up." I think you missed the director's message.
I don't think I missed it. I just think that the message is not conveyed effectively given how Akko looks "suddenly powered up" because she seemed to be able to master that powerful magic so quickly on the fly.

Fui said:
Shiny Chariot had a bad reputation because she used magic as a means to perform entertainment. Tricks/illusion, not "real" practical magic to be used by wizards. However, Akko dispels that belief in the end.
Well, the question is how she got to the point of being dismissed and ridiculed - we have to assume that the monster she destroyed at the beginning of the anime was not a real one, but somehow her magic was actually real and powerful. Why couldn't she prove that? So there is a gap of what had happened. I know the reason (which is what you said, tricks/illusion) which are all stated in the anime, but how she got to fall so low, being dismissed by almost every students in the magic school Akko met, is not really clarified.

You're still concerned with trivial technicalities while missing the big message.
How does wanting/trying to be like Shiny Chariot your entire life = suddenly powered up? Are you undermining her entire life's worth of ambition? Do you need like 20 training arcs to be convinced that she wants to be like the Shiny Chariot, despite it having verbally explained throughout as a major theme that that's all she's thought about her whole life?

You also seem to have missed the whole point behind the Shiny Chariot. Do you think that she even cares about reputation or power? Do you think her value as Shiny Chariot was limited to entertainment and cheap tricks (like everyone else in the show did)? Think about what she was able to do that everyone in the school seems to have overlooked and forgotten (like Diana - yes, she is in the crowd in the beginning).

I don't like explaining this because it's really meaningless; if you didn't get them they're not for you.
Apr 6, 2013 3:13 PM

Jul 2011
huntx said:
Ton times better than Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yoseitachi.

THIS. (And what a waste that Arve Rezzle was, eh)

This was absolutely adorable! Maybe it can't leave a impression as strong as Death Billiards left (since the plot and characters were, in all honesty, very cliched), but the intent here was simulate that old and cartoonish feeling with a lot of energy in a short time. Guess what? Trigger succeded in a splendid way.

Watched two times already, and I'll try to convince my mother to watch with me sometime. I guess it's the kind of silly-and-funny animation that can bring her some nostalgia.

9/10

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Apr 6, 2013 4:02 PM

Jun 2008
Trisection said:
This was done by actual professionals though.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14940

Anime Mirai seems more like a program that allows animators to work with an above average budget and decent working conditions/production schedule rather than actual training for new animators.

That being said, it's still the best looking Anime Mirai but isn't as far ahead Wasurenagumo and Kizuna Ichigeki as I expected it would be.

Before I checked your link, I was ready to give this a 10/10,
due to the degree of difficulty of something that looks so professional being done by amateurs.
But, after seeing the resumes of the production staff, I thought about the need to take off a point or two.
Still, I LOVE (I know...strong word) everything about this episode, though!!

The art, story pacing and characters were VERY well done!
So, even though it wasn't done by "amateurs", the degree of difficulty to
pull something off so well rounded in a half hour show is high enough to give it a 9/10.
Or, in the memory of Siskel and Ebert: TWO THUMBS UP!!!
(BTW.....I want a full length series, TOO!!!)
FifthAveSenseiApr 6, 2013 4:07 PM
Too Much ANIME......Not enough LIFETIME!!!!!!
Apr 6, 2013 4:41 PM

Jul 2012
Got some serious, nostalgia watching this. Enjoyed it a lot 8/10.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Apr 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Apr 2012
Yukariki said:
It was just amazing. Everything is animated. Everything. Goddamn everything. I think I am in love with the Yoshinari brothers. They're way too damn talented for this world. This anime better have a good MAL rating or else~
Faded_Illusion said:
Also for some reason i suspect the teacher of theirs to have been Shiny Chariot.
Cratex said:
You just watched somebody put something in a huge minotaur's mouth that melted him AND a 20 foot wide hole in the floor and what do you do? Of course, you jump down the hole to see where it goes.

Where do I sign up?
Stark700 said:
This episode here deserves a full anime series

No joke.

^ What they said.
Apr 6, 2013 6:23 PM
Mar 2013
I gave it a 8/10 but I' thinking that might be a little too generous.
Everything was top notch, except the story. Honestly I saw how it was gonna end from the from the first encounter with Diana (in the lunchroom). but I will agree the fantasy element of it was good (as in it sucked me into the setting).
I did prefer Death Billiards though.
Apr 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
Shiny Chariot got such a bad reputation is not really clarified.

the teacher/Shinny Chariot said when she saw Akko showing her the rod "the seven stars? I thought they had lost their twinkle for good"

To me that hints at the rod having stopped working for her at some point , if so I'm sure it must have hurt her reputation a whole lot.It was reactivated by Akko,seems to me this is more of a "item chooses its wielder" kind of deal and Akko didn't need to really train to use the rod once it had chosen her.
all for fun.fun for all
Apr 7, 2013 6:25 AM

Apr 2010
This OVA was really MAGICAL, GET IT?! GET IT?!!! Anyway, bad joke aside it was really enjoyable, the animation was perfect, story was great, and even though it was only a 26 minute episode it was a total success. If Trigger decides to end up doing an anime series, I'll definitely be watching it, and I'm really lookin' forward to that. PLEASE TRIGGER, DO IT, THE ANIME WILL BE A SUCCESS, YOU'L SEE!

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Apr 7, 2013 10:13 AM

Jul 2012
Wow, amazing for 26 minutes. Trigger did a great job :)
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 7, 2013 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
This was so freakin' cool. I didn't expect to get what I came to watch. I just wanted to burn some time and ended up loving this.
This is the kind of stuff that inspires me to want to learn how to draw and animate.
Apr 8, 2013 11:39 AM

Jul 2011
Kurini said:
THAT WAS AWESOME! The animation was very very fluid, the drawing are cute, and good backgorund sound effect/music! I was not bored not even a second! Trigger, I'm going to keep an eye on it! :)
bippo said:
I hope TRIGGER does a full series of this.

I 've been waiting for this to be for sub and download. Finally got to watch it. LOVE It.
And totally agree, I really do hope they make a series of this. It's super amazing. And the characters are all really cool.
Apr 8, 2013 5:17 PM

Apr 2008
That was the best thing I've seen all year.
Apr 9, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2012
I only know that I want moar of this.
Apr 9, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2012
Fui said:
You're still concerned with trivial technicalities while missing the big message.
How does wanting/trying to be like Shiny Chariot your entire life = suddenly powered up? Are you undermining her entire life's worth of ambition? Do you need like 20 training arcs to be convinced that she wants to be like the Shiny Chariot, despite it having verbally explained throughout as a major theme that that's all she's thought about her whole life?
I got the main message but I think it can be better delivered. All those "trivial technicalities" are where it makes its delivery not as effective as it should be. Akko may want to be like Shiny Chariot all her life, but we never see her practice to be like her. So her suddenly being able to chant exactly the type of magic Shiny Chariot could do looks just like "sudden power-up". It is as if as long as you have enough faith and has the same tool used by Chariot, everything will fall in place and she can just get the magic work straight away. How could just a life of ambition be enough to become Chariot herself without we seeing what she did besides harboring the ambition? We may not need 20 training arcs, but the point is we don't get to see even one of her training using Chariot technique.

Fui said:
You also seem to have missed the whole point behind the Shiny Chariot. Do you think that she even cares about reputation or power? Do you think her value as Shiny Chariot was limited to entertainment and cheap tricks (like everyone else in the show did)? Think about what she was able to do that everyone in the school seems to have overlooked and forgotten (like Diana - yes, she is in the crowd in the beginning).
She may not care about reputation or power, but she does not seem to be a type who likes to piss people off. So what happened in the past that got most of the wizard/witch world to despise her so much? Just demonstrating entertaining magic to little kids should not get her to that position, and I am sure she is definitely not limited to entertainment, so what happened?

totoum said:
symbv said:
Shiny Chariot got such a bad reputation is not really clarified.

the teacher/Shinny Chariot said when she saw Akko showing her the rod "the seven stars? I thought they had lost their twinkle for good"

To me that hints at the rod having stopped working for her at some point , if so I'm sure it must have hurt her reputation a whole lot.It was reactivated by Akko,seems to me this is more of a "item chooses its wielder" kind of deal and Akko didn't need to really train to use the rod once it had chosen her.
Now that's some explanation that is convincing. Thanks totoum.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 10, 2013 2:35 AM

Jan 2011
That... was beautiful! *.*
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Apr 10, 2013 3:45 PM

Oct 2012
Great, fluid animation, with nice western influence. Man. I'd love to see more of this. The teacher being Shiny Chariot was awesome!
Apr 10, 2013 7:34 PM

Jun 2009
Very impressive to say the least. Would totally watch a series of this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 11, 2013 4:31 AM
Mar 2011
That was just amazing! It was awesome, comedy, full of action and just so good--! I would watch it, NO. I /really/ want this to be an anime series! I was blown away!
Apr 11, 2013 7:55 PM

Nov 2012
I hope there's more of it

“Fools who don’t respect the past are likely to repeat it.” – Nico Robin
Apr 12, 2013 3:52 AM

Dec 2010
this is what anime could be if it did not pander to otaku and has fanservice/cliches/all that crap.
Apr 12, 2013 1:24 PM

Oct 2011
Will they make a series from this?

Death Billiards was also really good ... it would be a shame if they didn't <.<
Apr 12, 2013 3:12 PM

Dec 2009
Godly animation.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 13, 2013 6:34 AM

Aug 2009
Mika_Inamori said:
this is what anime could be if it did not pander to otaku and has fanservice/cliches/all that crap.

I know, right? I think Trigger did an excellent job in choosing this premise (whether it was intentional or not), because the initial, general thought would be "OMG, LOLIS!" when in fact, it's really not. It actually has something to it, in addition to style.

Could be just wishful thinking, but I hope this indirectly gets the message across to animators everywhere, with the message more or less being: "You pride yourself an animator? Stop catering to the lowest common denominator."
Apr 16, 2013 8:40 AM

Apr 2009
I really hope this gets a series or movies or something. It really deserves it.
Apr 16, 2013 9:57 PM

Nov 2012
splendid animation.
Apr 19, 2013 2:33 AM

Jun 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg

On official Studio Trigger youtube channel with subs! Support it!

Edit: They had to reupload the video! Fixed!
HybridMBLApr 19, 2013 3:12 PM
Apr 19, 2013 3:10 PM

Sep 2009
You can see a tad too clearly what the influences of the studio.

It was not bad by any means, but sadly ripping off doesn't earn many points in my book, even when done well.

At least it was pretty, although really little else.
Apr 19, 2013 3:45 PM

Aug 2009
Nice and simple story it seems to have much influence from western storytelling and jokes. The animation style is what I expected from this director; very exaggerated and funny. It's a plus in my book and I like Sucy and Lotte, such nice little witches ^^
Apr 19, 2013 8:49 PM

Jun 2007
I would watch the shit out of a full series.
Apr 20, 2013 4:54 AM

Jan 2011
That was seriously great in all aspects for a one off.
Apr 20, 2013 1:26 PM

Aug 2010
Okay, this was a really pleasant surprise, I had little to no expectations and now here I am, with the only negative thing I can say about it is its short length. The comedy was well done, I loved every character, the visuals were aesthetically pleasing. Great job! Solid 8/10. Would watch the hell out of a 26 episodes long series.

Sucy is best witch of course.
Apr 21, 2013 12:33 PM
Mar 2013
Wow... That was awesome. I just watch without any expectations and I was really surprise.
Hoping to become an anime series!
Apr 22, 2013 9:42 AM

Feb 2013
I want 2 hours movie version and more.
Apr 22, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2010
7/10 it was good and did it hint at the professor being Shining Chariot?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 24, 2013 5:06 AM
Oct 2007
It was certainly pretty. Unoriginal story but it was very pretty. Certainly better then most of the Gainax stuff in recent years. Did they really get almost half a million dollars to make this single episode?
zeroryoko1974Apr 24, 2013 5:46 AM
Apr 24, 2013 12:45 PM
Jul 2009
symbv said:
So what happened in the past that got most of the wizard/witch world to despise her so much?

I don't think they despise her. It's like society doesn't think highly of her for her ideals and image more than anything. Anyway, based on what Lotte and Diana said, I believe this is what happened with her:

In the first scene we see Chariot performing a show for kids. Basically using her magic to perform a light show and provide entertainment. But we know, thanks to Lotte, that this isn't the image the wizarding world believes a witch should have. Witches are supposed to be serious students of magic, and as Diana states, they're supposed to be feared. Chariot obviously didn't abide to this philosophy, and she defied it even with her looks (just look what she's wearing in the first scene). Because of this she started to become a social outcast.

Eventually, as the kids who were her fanbase started to grow up and became part of the wizarding society, she began to lose her fans as well. Isolated and outcast, she started to doubt herself and her ideals. "Maybe I was wrong after all. Maybe witches are meant to be like they said," she probably thought.

As Chariot stopped believing in herself and her ideals, her Shiny Rod stopped working, because, as she states in the first scene, a "believing heart is your magic".

Now without her magical rod, she truly didn't have anything left, so she decided it was time to stop playing around and became part of society as well. That's probably how she ended up becoming a teacher and why she threw her Shiny Rod in the labyrinth under the School, basically burring the ideals that Shiny Chariot represented with it.

Enter Akko, a young and idealistic witch just like Chariot in her younger days. Just like Chariot, Akko doesn't want to be the kind of witch society deems acceptable.The moment Akko came into contact with the Shiny Rod, the magical stones activated, because they sensed Akko's "believing heart".

That's pretty much what I gathered from the OVA after watching it a few times. If you pay attention you see all the clues are there. You just have to put the pieces together.
1idd0kunApr 24, 2013 12:51 PM
May 1, 2013 2:32 PM

Dec 2011
Wow this anime was freaking beautiful. I mean it was like watching a Ghibli film except with it's own little flavor. Hard to believe it was just 26 minutes. Trigger should totally do a movie or even a TV series. I'm not a fan of Inferno Cop but this little 1 shot has made me a believer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2013 1:24 AM

Oct 2012
It was pretty enjoyable; wish it had been longer or maybe a series may be in the works, though I doubt it.
The animation had a very Ghibli-esque feel to me, too. It was clean, crisp and very-well animated. I feel like watching it again.
May 10, 2013 1:04 PM

Sep 2011
Full season fucking where?

Such a nice little show, and such a shame it was only one episode :/
It's amazing how much it drawn me in in a short time like this.
The story and the characters weren't anything spectacular, but it was more than enough to make me want to see more with this setting.
Akko was my favorite of the bunch, her seiyuu also did a very good job. I also liked Suushy's quirkiness.
Of course the anime also had its cliché moments, but which anime doesn't?
The art was of course great, I really liked the style.
The best thing about this was that it gave me many different feels. It reminded me of Harry Potter (and I love HP), Disney style movies and Ghibli movies.

Definitely worth an 8/10 and I'll surely rewatch this again later. I hope they make a series out of it, though I doubt it :(

Frontalbrise said:
I watched back when Akko realised that she was also a fan out of curiosity, I was really surprised :D And she was even highlighted with color just like Akko. This was a pretty good little easter egg :D

1idd0kun said:
I thought the same thing about her after I watched the OVA :)
May 10, 2013 7:48 PM

Aug 2011
Damn. Surprisingly good for a little OVAnime.

Sucy for best character.

Glad they were tasteful and didn't have fucking panty shots in there. Love the animation style as well.

I wouldn't mind a full cour or two of this.
May 11, 2013 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
Finally got around to watching this. It was okay, but it felt way too much like a Saturday morning Disney cartoon. Nothing about it really caught my interest and I found myself hoping it would hurry and finish towards the end.
May 13, 2013 2:11 PM

May 2012
This would be great as a full series, I really liked the art style and the animation was superb! The concept and characters were pretty funny and it had a quite nice setting! Love to see more of Trigger soon!
May 22, 2013 12:36 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty western approach on animation and storytelling but I like it.
Nice fairytale that has everything it needs to have! :)
May 25, 2013 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
Great anime ..hope they make it as TV series :) I liked all the character but my favorite is Sucy :)
May 27, 2013 1:51 PM

May 2010
Main characters is so good. Nerdy team adventures in fantasy world. After Slayers there is not a lot of good fantasy adventures (excluding mmorpg speculation). Do want series so badly.
May 28, 2013 9:54 AM
Jan 2013
Found this online and I dunno when it happened but i loved this pic

Its soooo cute seeing them both taking a pic together <3
tomtomr92May 28, 2013 10:00 AM
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» LITTLE WITCH ACADEMIA TV SERIES CONFIRMED

DatRandomDude - Jun 24, 2016

12 by alshu »»
Jul 11, 2022 7:05 AM

» Should I watch the movies?

Chrngb - Oct 16, 2019

3 by Kursan »»
Nov 23, 2021 3:10 PM

Poll: » Who's the best witch?

n0000ne - May 8, 2013

14 by OfficialEimee »»
Mar 28, 2021 1:18 AM

» The "Other" section

Steph - May 25, 2020

2 by gappasaurus »»
Jul 5, 2020 1:06 PM

» Dub?

GoldNautilus - Jul 16, 2016

2 by GoldNautilus »»
May 7, 2018 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.