Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 11:38 PM

Jan 2021
On a conversation i had with a friend recently, i have been called weird for enjoying (or rather greatly loving) both Solo Leveling and Subahibi, when i asked why, he answered that they are fundamentaly completely diffrent things, be it their medium, themes, story and anything relevant.

So, do you tend to enjoy completely diffrent things or have a more monotone taste? and what do you think about 'enjoying completely different things'?

Edit:You can ignore the first part of my post, this is just context behind what made me open this thread. Instead talk more about your tastes.
CielordJul 2, 2:39 AM
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 1, 11:46 PM

Dec 2021
I love cutesy stuff aimed at the Japanese child demographic, like Yume no Crayon Oukoku and Rikujou Bouei-tai Mao-chan, but I generally use them as palate cleansers and episode spacers for when I watch more fucked up anime like Akuma-kun and Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, which would otherwise be a bit much for me to watch. It'd probably take like three times the amount of soft and squishy anime to soften the blow of a proper guro anime, though. You know, break up the tension of people dying left and right with one of these.

Nothing wrong with a little "Happy Dance" to bookend a violent anime.
Daviljoe193Jul 2, 12:24 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jul 1, 11:52 PM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I enjoy completely different things.

Chi's Sweet Home
Death Note
Flying Witch
Love Live!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Tales of Zestiria the Cross
Yuru Yuri
Zankyou no Terror

etc. I'm not only into CGDCT and idols.

SerafosJul 2, 3:46 AM
Jul 1, 11:59 PM

May 2018
Imagine people having various interests...
I know it's a weird concept for those people who watch nothing, but battle shounen, tho kind of obvious to the rest of us.

"they are fundamentaly completely diffrent things"

Not entirely sure what Subahibi is, but looks like one of those Doki Doki Literature Club! type VNs, thus there's a common ground with Solo Leveling - being obnoxiously edgy.
Jul 1, 11:59 PM

May 2019
Yes i like Queen's Blade and Demon Slayer.
Jul 2, 12:02 AM

Apr 2020
your friend is weird for thinking having varying tastes is weird
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 12:05 AM

Oct 2013
Naw...Your friend was wrong. There's nothing weird about liking things that are completely different from each other. Even I, with my obvious preference, enjoy things outside of that box. I mean, look at my favorites. There's one or two obvious standouts on there alone. Guy's just overthinking things.
Jul 2, 12:05 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to alshu
Imagine people having various interests...
I know it's a weird concept for those people who watch nothing, but battle shounen, tho kind of obvious to the rest of us.

"they are fundamentaly completely diffrent things"

Not entirely sure what Subahibi is, but looks like one of those Doki Doki Literature Club! type VNs, thus there's a common ground with Solo Leveling - being obnoxiously edgy.
@alshu Define edgy and explain how they are edgy.
Jul 2, 12:09 AM

May 2024
My taste varies entirely on mood, but there is also a pattern of the things I tend to like more.
Jul 2, 12:13 AM

Jul 2023
Yeah,

Monogatari series
Otaku Elf
Aria series
NANA
Demon Slayer
Hibike series etc.

...morning, afternoon & evening and time is slipping away...

Jul 2, 12:14 AM

Mar 2023
I have both Ergo Proxy and Skip Beat in my favourites.
Jul 2, 12:27 AM

Oct 2019
If you look at my taste across all media, which you can since I made a list out of all of them like the weirdo that I am,

You will realize that I am that one guy that can get into anything.

I have genres that I love more that other genres, but the only thing that I have cought myself disliking with a bias is the episodic format. specially if there is no continuity.

But other than that, I'm all over the place.

Like my favourite games are:

devil may cry 5, mario galaxy 2, bloodborne, transistor, undertale, stanely's parable, 13 sentinals and little nightmares 2.

and if you know these, you know they have pretty much nothing in common.

I can sit here and talk about how fun and hot highschool of the dead is, then turn around and talk about the layered philosophy of sonny boy, before ranting about why kaguya sama is peak comedy. and then I will start talking about why sol shows like dragon maid and skip and loafer made my day 10 times better.

If an appeal exists, chances are, I will get it.

There are exceptions.... but even they aren't really exception.

like I don't like demon slayer, but its not because I don't get the hype from the battles, I just think stuff like jjk s2 and redline give me that exact feel but with 10 times more power.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 2, 12:30 AM

Apr 2020
Most people have a variety of interests even if they have preferences so I don't know why your friend is that surprised lol
Jul 2, 12:39 AM

May 2018
Cielord said:
explain how they are edgy

edgy
adjective. If someone is edgy, they are nervous and anxious, and seem likely to lose control of themselves. [informal] She was nervous and edgy.
Synonyms: nervous, wired [slang], anxious, tense

The characters in those two titles (I am only assuming about Subahibi) are or become like that.
Jul 2, 12:46 AM

Jul 2021
I of course enjoy a wide variety of anime. From horror to comedy, it doesn't matter the genre. I feel if you stick to a certain kind of anime/genre your bound to lose interest over time and get burnt out.

I feel your friend may need to branch out and vary his taste and watch different genres of anime.

Enjoying completely different things is a-okay and i feel that's how most people are when it comes to TV and movies along video games. Me personally, I could never be stuck to one genre or set of games.

Jul 2, 12:47 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to alshu
Cielord said:
explain how they are edgy

edgy
adjective. If someone is edgy, they are nervous and anxious, and seem likely to lose control of themselves. [informal] She was nervous and edgy.
Synonyms: nervous, wired [slang], anxious, tense

The characters in those two titles (I am only assuming about Subahibi) are or become like that.
@alshu

Nervousness, anxiety & losing control of one self are practically found in every series. If that is being edgy then 'edgy' isn't a form of criticism or a common ground.
Jul 2, 1:00 AM

Aug 2011
I enjoy completely different things. I’m just as happy watching Vinland Saga as I am watching Yuru Camp.

I think this is pretty common and normal. If anything, it’s weird that your friend thinks it’s weird.
Jul 2, 1:04 AM

May 2018
Cielord said:
Nervousness, anxiety & losing control of one self are practically found in every series.

Not at such ridiculous degree.

Cielord said:
If that is being edgy then 'edgy' isn't a form of criticism

It's criticism when it's done lazily or overdone for the sake of shocking the viewer...and both of those titles are guilty of that (well I am only assuming Subahibi is like Doki Doki Literature Club).
Jul 2, 1:12 AM

Dec 2020
I mean, your friend's reasoning doesn't make any sense to begin with. It's like saying that you can't like a comedy and a drama at the same time, or enjoying football and chess because they are "fundamentally" different sports. A normal person is able like different types of entertainment and experiences. Bro is just dumb.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jul 2, 1:15 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to alshu
Cielord said:
Nervousness, anxiety & losing control of one self are practically found in every series.

Not at such ridiculous degree.

Cielord said:
If that is being edgy then 'edgy' isn't a form of criticism

It's criticism when it's done lazily or overdone for the sake of shocking the viewer...and both of those titles are guilty of that (well I am only assuming Subahibi is like Doki Doki Literature Club).
@alshu

Both of the series has such stuff and the execution is good in both of them.

Also replace for instance female characters with edgy, and see how ridiculus what you're saying.

"The common ground is that they have female characters"

"It's criticism when the female characters aren't well written"
Jul 2, 1:32 AM

May 2018
Cielord said:
has such stuff and the execution is good

Solo Leveling specifically is the blandest mid-tier anime I have ever seen becoming that popular.

Cielord said:
The common ground is that they have female characters

This trait is too generic to mean anything, so even using it as counter example it wouldn't work.

Cielord said:
It's criticism when the female characters aren't well written

In the past 10 years or so, edgy has become a word with a negative connotation, blame internet for that.
When you have a well done nervous or anxious character nobody would use edgy to describe them.

Jul 2, 1:44 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to alshu
Cielord said:
has such stuff and the execution is good

Solo Leveling specifically is the blandest mid-tier anime I have ever seen becoming that popular.

Cielord said:
The common ground is that they have female characters

This trait is too generic to mean anything, so even using it as counter example it wouldn't work.

Cielord said:
It's criticism when the female characters aren't well written

In the past 10 years or so, edgy has become a word with a negative connotation, blame internet for that.
When you have a well done nervous or anxious character nobody would use edgy to describe them.

@alshu
alshu said:
This trait is too generic to mean anything

Using female characters is less generic tbh, there are probably more series without any notable female characters then without your definition of edgy.

Nervousness & anxiety are just basic human emotions. And losing control of oneself is a popular trope, that can be done in various ways.
Jul 2, 2:13 AM

May 2018
Reply to Cielord
@alshu
alshu said:
This trait is too generic to mean anything

Using female characters is less generic tbh, there are probably more series without any notable female characters then without your definition of edgy.

Nervousness & anxiety are just basic human emotions. And losing control of oneself is a popular trope, that can be done in various ways.
@Cielord
1. Dude, you know perfectly well what I mean.
2. Stop going off-topic in your own topic...
Jul 2, 2:20 AM

Jan 2021
alshu said:
@Cielord
1. Dude, you know perfectly well what I mean.
2. Stop going off-topic in your own topic...

What you said is just ridiculous and i pointed that out.
Jul 2, 2:23 AM

May 2021
Cielord said:
On a conversation i had with a friend recently, i have been called weird for enjoying (or rather greatly loving) both Solo Leveling and Subahibi, when i asked why, he answered that they are fundamentaly completely diffrent things, be it their medium, themes, story and anything relevant.

So, do you tend to enjoy completely diffrent things or have a more monotone taste? and what do you think about 'enjoying completely diffrent things'?

There are certain genres/themes i'm more drawn to, but that's not to say i won't find stuff that might be the complete opposite i won't enjoy just as much

Generally my favs consist of a mix of battle shounen and psychological thrillers with some amount of a dark theme in them... and then there's this
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jul 2, 3:40 AM

Sep 2016
I can enjoy completely different things, from shallow shounen to mature josei, from very old to brand new anime, from safe kids media to brutal gore hentai.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 2, 4:02 AM

May 2018
Cielord said:

You pretending not knowing what edgy means as criticism is laughable.
Jul 2, 4:15 AM

Jan 2021
alshu said:
Cielord said:

You pretending not knowing what edgy means as criticism is laughable.

I'm not even talking about the criticism part (which is ridiculous of it's own) I'm talking about the common grounds parts.
Jul 2, 4:34 AM

Aug 2013
I always like to say 'variety is the spice of life'.

I do this in everything I like to do. It might be a pleasant surprise and expand your taste or it might make you enjoy more the things you already knew you liked.

Saw Astro Note yesterday and I was disappointed, much flak for isekai, but that wasn't any better either lol
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!
Jul 2, 4:56 AM

Jun 2019
As has been said above, variety is the spice of life, with food, drink, women (until you get married), hobbies (I'm a big fan of fishing and going on sedate canal boat holidays, but also used to love going to hectic music festivals and clubs, although not for a while now as I've gotten older) and yes anime/tv/movies. I love serious, dramatic or emotional shows, but also cute easy popcorn watches and bland shounen or isekai where i can turn my brain off and enjoy.
Jul 2, 5:53 AM

Feb 2021
I like different genres if it is interesting.
Jul 2, 6:15 AM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
I can enjoy completely different things, from shallow shounen to mature josei, from very old to brand new anime, from safe kids media to brutal gore hentai.
@Zarutaku And still don't seem to've figured out not all shounen is shallow and not all josei is mature
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jul 2, 6:51 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Zarutaku And still don't seem to've figured out not all shounen is shallow and not all josei is mature
@DigiCat Never said so, it's just an example and you read an assumption into it -.-
Jul 2, 7:10 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
@DigiCat Never said so, it's just an example and you read an assumption into it -.-
@Zarutaku deal with it, every time somebody opens a discussion thread everybody automatically thinks the initial poster takes a standpoint and is not independent
Jul 2, 7:10 AM

Sep 2017
I don't see any problem for enjoying completely different things, on the contrary it's a proof you're open-minded in my opinion

I love Berserk but I also love Yuru Camp, I enjoy Jujutsu Kaisen but also Legend of the Galactic Heroes, both Ergo Proxy and Asobi Asobase, both Aria the Animation and Konosuba, Seirei no Moribito or Prison School. I like enjoying pretty much every genre (except heavy ecchi and hentai in general), after all it just means I have many more options and chances to enjoy anime than someone who only likes one specific genre
Jul 2, 7:19 AM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku Still don't get what was the use of mentioning "shallow" and "mature" then

Most people i've encountered here who do talk like that about different genres/demographics tend to think in absolutes, but if you don't good for you
Jul 2, 7:24 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to tinshard
@Zarutaku deal with it, every time somebody opens a discussion thread everybody automatically thinks the initial poster takes a standpoint and is not independent
@tinshard Depends how the post is written, most of them don't seem to have a neutral standpoint.
Jul 2, 7:26 AM

Aug 2017
For me, when it comes to anime, I tend to go with the following approach:

1. Look at the box/title artwork to see if it is interesting.

2. If #1 passes, then read the description/synopsis of the anime to find out if it is actually interesting.

3. If #2 passes, find out if it has less than 50 episodes.

4. If #3 passes, find out if it has a dub.

5. If #4 passes, watch it. If #4 fails, put it on "plan to watch" unless #1 and #2 are too fascinating to ignore, then watch it regardless of the lack of a dub.

The tl;dr is... I'll watch almost anything, so long as it doesn't break the criteria.
JaaShooUhhJul 2, 7:32 AM
Jul 2, 7:26 AM

Jul 2023
I enjoy all genres and what they have to offer, and I understand myself well enough that I can put something on that I am not necessarily in the mood for at the time, but if the show/anime/movie is good at what it is supposed to do then I can rest assured knowing I'll eventually be hooked in anyway.
Jul 2, 7:31 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Zarutaku Still don't get what was the use of mentioning "shallow" and "mature" then

Most people i've encountered here who do talk like that about different genres/demographics tend to think in absolutes, but if you don't good for you
@DigiCat Indeed, they are common stereotypes, probably that's why I used them as an example.
Jul 2, 8:15 AM

Oct 2014
Your friend is probably just a really boring person who has extremely narrow taste and can't fathom how anyone else can enjoy more than one type of thing.

The things I enjoy in anime can be found in shows that can be found in seemingly very different anime.
Jul 2, 8:37 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
There's nothing weird about having varied tastes. Guro anime is my fave, but I also enjoy tear-jerking romance and comedy.
Yesterday, 12:31 AM

Jan 2023
As many others have said, it's completely normal to like very different things.
Personally, I mostly watch and enjoy lighthearted stuff but some of my favorites actually have some pretty intense drama.

More topics from this board

» Should different takes on the same show have different character entries?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

4 by Serafos »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » How hard is watch old animes ?

Henrique-Senpai - Jun 27

43 by BeastyAnimefan »»
21 minutes ago

» What's your favorite anime cameo scene?

TheBlockernator - Jun 23

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » The best Isekai (poll) ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jul 1

76 by Recprocate »»
60 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9198 by anime-prime »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.