Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

New
Jun 15, 11:06 PM

Aug 2020
My logic is, why watch something if you either know that its bad, or it is while watching it. If I dont like an anime, I drop it, sometimes dont even bother adding it to my list, because why would I continue watching something if its that bad.
Thus my list is filled with mostly 6+ ratings as I refuse to force myself to watch something that i'm not rating well.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 15, 11:07 PM

Feb 2020
Yes I have. However, nowadays I tend to drop shows more often. I just don't want to torture myself too much.
Jun 15, 11:21 PM
Sep 2021
For some people I supposed they may have been watching a show that was a 6+ but until the awful ending on the last episode, the rating dropped to 5 or below. That way it was technically never dropped.

Jun 15, 11:21 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
If I have watched 5 episodes of an anime with interesting and/or funny then I finish it. Many series start of interesting that catches your attention, only to turn into something stupid at the end. Usually happens in 12 episode seasons since they rush it and have a stupid "end fight" with a "yay we won" and that's it. If I'd drop all those shows, I'd have probably more dropped than watched since so many of my watched anime are scored 4/5/6.
If I watch 20 anime each season, only about 2-4 of them are probably rated 7 or higher.

I have One Piece rated 4 right now since it just fell of the cliff after the new era started. Ain't gonna drop it since I've already watched so much of it.
AzuchiJun 15, 11:26 PM
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jun 15, 11:22 PM

Nov 2015
it’s understandable especially if it’s a movie. Unless I’m falling asleep I might as well finish it. I don’t really recall any series that completely flipped my perception on the final episode but I’m sure someone has experienced that.
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Jun 15, 11:27 PM

May 2015
I have almost 150 completed anime rated below 6. I drop pretty easily anything I don't enjoy but giving out 5 to an anime is not a big deal, it means only that it is an average seasonal show, nothing special or memorable; 4-s are a bit worse, they are those that start to irratate me. Below 4 I too usualy drop every show after a few episodes.

So in my case your question would sound rather like "Do you have animes you've rated 3 and under on your completed list, why?"
IshitatesoJun 15, 11:32 PM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jun 15, 11:32 PM

Oct 2013
Because my rule is I don't drop it unless its boring and my ratings don't indicate how boring I think something is. I weigh how bad I think something is against how much I enjoyed it then split the difference. It's not always an exact science and it really only makes sense in my own head, but that's why I have shows with low ratings completed. That and I used to be more of a completionist when I first started. But I've adjusted those scores accordingly.
Jun 15, 11:34 PM
Aug 2023
usually it's because it's a sequel/movie of a series i enjoyed before. other times it's just, i'm already most of the way through it when i realize it kinda sucks, so may as well finish it.
Jun 15, 11:37 PM

Aug 2022
I recommend asking this person this exact same question

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ChangeItSelf?status=2&order=4&tag=
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Jun 15, 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, I have, They are short OVA's or movies.
Jun 16, 1:20 AM

Sep 2018
Because everyone rates anime differently. Some people drop anime they are rating 5-6/10, whereas I only drop a 1-2/10 (and not because I'm a completionist, I think I dropped more than 40% of the anime series I started watching): that doesn't mean I'm a masochist, it just means that the level of enjoyment/boredom corresponding to a 5-6/10 for those people corresponds to a 2/10 for me.
Jun 16, 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
I like to complete stuff no matter how torturous it is.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 16, 3:01 AM

Dec 2015
Because I can, why would you go somewhere which you know is bad, why would you work in a place which you know is bad, why would you eat a food which you know is bad.

It ain't only good stuff which you can follow even in entertainment, while watching such shows which are maybe obscure but surely bad, whenever I go back into higher quality/better show it just improves my enjoyability of a real good stuff. So in nutshell, watching bad shows, make good shows even better

116 rated anime of 1-5 in my list.
Jun 16, 3:08 AM

Oct 2010
I have anime in my list that I rated 2/10 and completed, in the end I can rate how I want
Jun 16, 3:17 AM

Oct 2019
Sometimes it's a show that is entertaining despite being bad: Mirrai nikki, Tomodachi game, Redo of healer

Sometimes, it's a season of a show that was good, or is good as a whole, and this is just a weak/bad season: Haikyuu to the top part 1, The promised neverland s2, Date a live season 2 and specially 3

Sometimes It's a show that started off good/great or at least entertaining then fell off or I got bored of it, and I was already to deep in to not see it through the end: Higehiro, Takt op destiny, ninja kamuy

And so many other possible reasons that would take to long to name

Also, I think everyone should watch some 5/10 and below anime, just so they cane appreciate good ones. So many people through the words "trash" and "mid" around without ever having seen a real average or bad anime,
APolygons2Jun 16, 3:22 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 16, 3:24 AM

Jul 2014
I don't think you can truly appreciate what's great without having experienced the shit that's available in the medium, if everything's good then nothing is.
“Gotta have opposites dark and light, light and dark in a painting. It’s like in life. Gots have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come. I’m waiting on the good times now.”
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Jun 16, 3:30 AM

Sep 2016
Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

Yes, mostly because they were short enough to complete.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 16, 3:34 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I think I might have an OVA or two that I've completed but rated really low, the only reason I completed them was because they weren't very long.
Jun 16, 3:57 AM

Aug 2013
Usually a cutie in the show works like a supporting lifeline to hold on untill the end. Always generating a heap of hope that the show will turn for the better at any moment. When suddenly you reached the end of the show and are like F this was trash and you give it a 4 or lower.

That, plus the fact that sometimes when you digest trash, you'll appreciate more the better quality stuff out there.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2 compared to other games released in 2024 is without a doubt a masterpiece.
HOWEVER...
Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2 compared to far older games like Gears of War from 2006 is pretty lackluster and has lots of room for improvement -> 5.5/10
Lol Sony needs to stop sniffing their own farts, their IQ is crashing so hard they are gonna ruin the whole company.
Jun 16, 4:14 AM

Feb 2021
I like to watch some stuff because I've heard they're bad. There's also a lot of times where I didn't know that an anime would be bad before starting, but it was short enough for me to finish
Jun 16, 4:37 AM

Mar 2020
I like to fool myself into thinking that I'm watching all of these awful shows so that I could be able to appreciate the better ones more
Jun 16, 5:41 AM
Aug 2008
I rate shows after I have finished them.
Jun 16, 5:45 AM

Aug 2023
Looking at my completed anime list and the shows I've rated quite terribly, it's mostly been a case of a series (Queen's Blade) or a movie (Raiders of Galaxy) that is so horrendous it somewhat becomes peak comedy. Besides, shows that are rated 4, or 5 as I consider it to be a reflection of an average show, aren't exactly flat out terrible, but rather less than average, with many less entertaining details standing out that makes you want to scratch your head in confusion and question the mindset of the creators that brought about these ideas and how they're presented. In a sense, it makes for an interesting watch.

Look at the bright side at least, even if that's not how u see it, you're still assigning ur stats into ur inner masochism, growing stronger and more unhinged to a degree with each dreadful show you force urself to sit through. Win-win situation either way.
Jun 16, 5:55 AM

Jun 2024
I try not to quit. I'll watch Boku no Pico till the end if I have to, but that's only if I actually start watching it.
Jun 16, 6:06 AM

Aug 2016
Some of them made me curious to see how the story would end, others were bad but entertaining, so I kept watching.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jun 16, 6:08 AM

Apr 2012
A 5-rated anime is average, not bad. 5 is half way between 0 and 10.

Most anime that I've completed but dislike are completed because of group watching. But there's the odd "it all hangs on the ending" and occasional academic interest. And then there are films.
Jun 16, 6:14 AM
Sep 2013
Yes.

-They are part of a series I enjoy(so mainly OVAs and the like)
- The premise is interesting, unique or rare
-Short
-It actually has good qualities but is brought down hard by trash things in it
-Absolute lack of things to do/boredom
-Curiosity about what happens despite its quality or hope it'll get better.

Most things that are 5 are bellow fall under the first point.
Jun 16, 6:53 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to vasipi4946
I recommend asking this person this exact same question

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ChangeItSelf?status=2&order=4&tag=
@vasipi4946 i want to know now too. there’s stuff that most people think is bad mixed in there so I don’t think it’s a troll.
Jun 16, 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
Yep, I about 10 or more on my list that are below a 5 rating.

The reason is because I very rarely drop an anime, and the only time I do drop an anime is the following:

1. Too many episodes.
2. Voice actors change so drastically that it makes the character sound completely different (that's why I dropped season 2 of Uzaki-Chan).
3. A character is so hate-able that it literally ruins the experience.

Otherwise, I just watch it to the end, no matter how boring or garbage it may be.
Jun 16, 7:05 AM

Sep 2017
I'm a completionist, I really don't like to drop anime.
Plus, I somehow still enjoy an anime rated 5 to 3, even if it's just bad. I could also be interested to see how the story ends even if the whole anime is a trainwreck.
And sometimes there are just cases of really bad sequels (hello Promised Neverland)
Jun 16, 9:04 AM

Jul 2010
Maybe few, for those I didn't like enough I use 6 (meh score), I usually drop those I totally dislike on time, and find it stupid to give a very low score after just a few episodes.
Jun 16, 9:10 AM

Jul 2022
i mean 5 isn’t even a bad score, it’s just something I see to be average, just ok or have really mixed thoughts on. I do finish some series I outright dislike, but it’s usually because a friend of mine likes it or some similar reason of wanting the ability to discuss it with others.

I love you Len Kagamine! 

Jun 16, 9:13 AM

Oct 2014
Yeah, I don't drop anime, and most anime I give low scores to are pretty short. 62% of my completed anime I've rated 5 or lower and I've spent 30% of my time watching anime I've give a 5 or lower to.
Jun 16, 9:20 AM

Feb 2019
Anything is fun to watch if you're watching with the right person, and also I used to try to be one of those "I never drop an anime" type person when I was younger. 5 isn't a bad score tho, my 5s are ok anime.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Jun 16, 10:21 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah, I kinda used to just stick with things, but now I really only stick with or watch things if I think I will enjoy them or am actively enjoyign it. Sometimes watching something hilariously bad can be funny tho
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 16, 11:23 AM

Aug 2022
Yeah I do have shows/movies I've completed that are rated 5 and below. 65 of them as of this writing, to be exact.

For at least two reasons:

1. I try to maximize the 1-10 scale here on MAL. If you ask me, it defeats the purpose of having the current scoring system if nothing is rated below a 6.

2. If I'm going to form an opinion on an anime, I have a tendency to complete the series before giving out a final rating.

All that being said, I have yet to rate an anime that I feel truly deserves a 1/10.
Jun 16, 11:39 AM

May 2021
melodyily said:
My logic is, why watch something if you either know that its bad, or it is while watching it. If I dont like an anime, I drop it, sometimes dont even bother adding it to my list, because why would I continue watching something if its that bad.
Thus my list is filled with mostly 6+ ratings as I refuse to force myself to watch something that i'm not rating well

Same, i'll generally dropped anything below a 6
There are a few things i rated lower and completed though

With 5s theres some which started off good but fell off at the end, anything lowere is usually completed for an anime challenge, i guess i also belive there's a time and place for masochism xD

I still add everything i've watched/dropped to my list though, that way i can remember which shit i've alaready tried lol
Jun 16, 11:44 AM

Jun 2019
Yes, and it has to be pointed out, as some others have already said, that some others don't actually consider a 5/10 a "bad" rating since it is technically just "Average" in line with the language MAL uses for that number as a rating. I do consider it definitely moreso on the negative side than positive, so a bad rating in my eyes, since my personal "average" for a series I consider all around mostly good is a 7 - Ideally I would like every series I watch and complete to be able to reach at least a 7. And the majority of what I watch I rate as 7s and 6s. Something has to really do one or more things wrong and to piss me off to get a 5 or below, just as something has to really do one or more things beautifully and exceptionally to receive an 8 or above from me (like I think I only had one 8/10 from all the seasonals watched last year; nevermind anything higher).

I don't have a huge amount of fives and even less so for the lower numbers beneath it. I don't have any 1s as I can't conceive of something I would rate in a way which is basically tantamount to saying I derived absolutely zero value from it in any way (since 1 is as low as it goes and there is no 0).

But for any completed series I have and rated a 5/10, 4/10, 3/10, or 2/10, it's actually very simple: It means there were one or multiple things which I intensely disliked about it, but there were still one or more things about it which interested me enough to want to see it through to fruition. Even though there are some series I have dropped even after watching 12 or more episodes and adding to my list, and many I have dropped before even formally adding to my list in an official manner and just sampling the first episode, it's still not too unlikely that a series I was interested enough to start watching in the first place because of the appeal of its plot or premise summarized in its synopsis is also one I would see the value in continuing until completion even if it disappointed and irritated me in several ways.

Series that aren't that interesting at their foundation I often don't even add to my list, don't rate, and just drop silently in the shadows unceremoniously.

WatchTillTandavaJun 16, 11:50 AM
Jun 16, 11:48 AM

Mar 2009
I have very few under 5 becust most animes I seen as always been something I enjoyed and im almost an all eater when it comes to anime because im kind of a strange person that gets very emotional invested in animes/movies/games so if they hit the right emotions I love them.

The reason a few has under 5 is they made me angry because how bad or stupid they where. Lets take Sword art online gave what I seen a 3 and I wanted to like them but the series is so damn grrrrr Kirito and his friends are idiots like if a VR mmo almost had he killed for sure I would never go back I throw the shit out. Yet these moron keeps going back and yet keep getting in to life and death situations. And decide for frack sake do you want to be a harem anime or not ?

Honestly .hack did stuck in mmo 100 times better.
Jun 16, 11:50 AM

May 2021
Reply to APolygons2
Sometimes it's a show that is entertaining despite being bad: Mirrai nikki, Tomodachi game, Redo of healer

Sometimes, it's a season of a show that was good, or is good as a whole, and this is just a weak/bad season: Haikyuu to the top part 1, The promised neverland s2, Date a live season 2 and specially 3

Sometimes It's a show that started off good/great or at least entertaining then fell off or I got bored of it, and I was already to deep in to not see it through the end: Higehiro, Takt op destiny, ninja kamuy

And so many other possible reasons that would take to long to name

Also, I think everyone should watch some 5/10 and below anime, just so they cane appreciate good ones. So many people through the words "trash" and "mid" around without ever having seen a real average or bad anime,
@APolygons2 What didn't you like about Too The Top part 1? 🏐
Jun 16, 12:02 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to DigiCat
@APolygons2 What didn't you like about Too The Top part 1? 🏐
@DigiCat Before I explain myself, I don't think to the top part 1 is bad, I just think it's average. or a 5/10.

Haikyuu isn't a masterfully written story, nor does it have the best written characters. It's not the funniest comedy, or the most heart breaking drama. And while it has really solid production, it's not the best looking show either.

What haikyuu is, is a damn good volleyball anime. It knows how to create hype, it knows how to make every character count, it knows how and when to insert the small bits off backstory and character writing to make the moments count during the matches. It knows how to give the characters memorable quirks that make them stand out within any given match, even if we are seeing them for the first time.

So the only season of haikyuu that doesn't really have that much volleyball playing in comparison to the other seasons. And the little volleyball that is there is extremely low stake. While also missing most of the characters that we are attached to, wasn't exactly the peak of haikyuu.

It was just a really boring training arc that I was counting the episodes for it to be over. Near the end of the season we do get one short match, but even that was one of the weakest haikyuu matches.

But to the top part 2 was pretty good, and the new movie ended up being my favourite part of the entire series. So I am more than happy I pushed through it.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 16, 12:09 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't have things actually rated on the 10-point scale, but since bad is basically 1-4, yes, plenty.
Jun 16, 12:14 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Damuzen
Plus, I somehow still enjoy an anime rated 5 to 3, even if it's just bad. I could also be interested to see how the story ends even if the whole anime is a trainwreck.
And sometimes there are just cases of really bad sequels (hello Promised Neverland)
Damuzen said:

Pretty much the same here as I have completed 52 anime rated 5 or below so far.
Jun 16, 1:21 PM

Oct 2022
I agree with the point, I have very few seasons I finish that I would rate that low
But don't forget there are one-shot OVAs or movies and other things that are short enough to just watch through in an evening. Some of those old OVAs are fun to watch and laugh at. And they're terrible, hentai are probably the bottom of the barrel. So those are things I've watched that get low ratings.
Jun 16, 1:31 PM
Nov 2022
Yeah, here they are:

Perfect Blue, Panty and Stocking, Magical Canan (the worst anime I've ever seen), Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Tabidachi: Ami Shuushou, 6 Angels, Evangelion TV, Hanamaru Kindergarten, Dead Leaves, Kigurumikku V3, and Majo Demo Steady.
Jun 16, 2:14 PM
Aug 2021
I probably have a few for those I was able to muster to finish and ended up being disappointed in or just something I ended up disliking upon first view
Jun 16, 2:17 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
why? I use to do the anime watch challenge and was kind of force to pick on a very small list of animes to watch lol.
sometimes I can't really stop watching an anime too, kind of hard too.
Jun 16, 2:26 PM

Feb 2014
I have 195 animes with 5 or under on my completed list.

Sometimes I watch some good stuff that end up being pretty bad (eg Takt Op. Destiny), some remakes are terrible (eg Digimon Adventure (2020)), there are popular animes that are bad too (eg Ishuzoku Reviewers), lazy writing (eg Mirai no Mirai), sometimes there are trash that you like (eg Burn the Witch), there are protagonists that ruin the whole show (eg Re:Zero), there's also those you feel bad giving a bad rating (eg Pluto).

If you only watch 6+ animes, you are limiting your own sense of criticism.
Jun 16, 2:31 PM

May 2018
"Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list"

Yes.

"why?"

Because they don't deserve a higher score. Like I had fun watching those (in some cases because they were uniquely bad), but as production they weren't that good.

"My logic is"

You logic is that everybody is exactly like you...that's a flawed logic.
Jun 16, 2:57 PM
Aug 2021
Recently, Ninja Kamui. Had a good first two episodes so gave it the benefit of the doubt. Was not worth completing, honestly.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What makes you identify a bad anime right from the start?

KMIR - 10 hours ago

32 by RainyEvenings »»
12 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

248 by perseii »»
19 minutes ago

» Unfair criticisms you can give any anime?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 9 hours ago

21 by perseii »»
26 minutes ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - Sep 23

38 by Lucifrost »»
35 minutes ago

» What is your opinion about Anitubers ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 10

56 by OptimalToast »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.