Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 5, 1:29 AM

May 2020
I guess this has been going on since the very first season, but for some reason knowing how indecisive Kumiko is, it doesn’t at all faze that she hasn’t yet decided on her future. Not an uncommon thing for people her age, though it is about time lol. Anyways, as it is always at this time of their year, we’ve the auditions waiting, which quite conveniently is coming after the last two nothingburger episodes.

Though it’d happen in due time, but I’m finding it really hard to understand this new girl who for some reason is still in her old school’s uniform(a big WHY)...or at least she was until they changed their uniforms to the summer one, anyways, she really thinking she’d eat someone else’s place if she auditioned?? That’s being uber presumptuous lol. Glad Kumiko declined her for even hanging out on that festival day lol.

Took three seasons but finally Kumiko made it to Reina’s home. Though when all said and done, only these two have THAT chemistry. Conversation beside the lake looked absolutely scenic, but yeah, auditions from next episode.
May 5, 3:06 AM

Jan 2019
Hazuki chops, Mayu showing her pensive side instead of being sweet and carefree all the time, Haruka and Kaori's cameos, Kumiko's visit to Reina household... I'd say it was a great episode compared to last week lads.

It's a bit unfortunate that Kumiko rejected Mayu's agata festival invitation, It would be interesting to watch Mayu, Reina and Kumiko hanging out together.
May 5, 4:00 AM

Apr 2010
Seems to me that Kumiko and Mayu still need to work somethings out with each other, Mayu seems to be trying but Kumiko is putting it off from the looks of it.
We got some nice moments with Reina tho.
Anyway picking your future is hard but if you pick something you don't like you can always change it.
Well let's see how it goes.
May 5, 4:10 AM

Nov 2010
I can't distinguish these two girls.
Kanade
Usami

May 5, 4:31 AM

Jan 2016
Finally we got some instrument music this episode, but when Kumiko and Reina were about to play the soli part and there was this silent cut... I screamed thinking we would only get something in the tournaments, phew.

But a performance that has Trumpet and Euphonium soli, this is one of the setups of all time. I'm hyped
May 5, 4:37 AM

Jul 2017
Better episode than the last couple (especially the previous one since I hated that). The club is progressing as it should and it focused more on Kumiko again in this episode and her not being sure about her direction in life beyond this club and Nationals, being fairly indecisive about it in the process - which I and many can relate to here. The last few minutes with Kumiko visiting Reina's place briefly and their conversation outside was brief yet effective, and a nice watch overall. There are a lot of side characters in this season and I couldn't care at all for most of them (partly due to how rushed the pacing was from second year onwards to get to this point), but Kumiko and Reina in subtle conversations like these with great lighting used throughout is what can make Sound Euphonium stand out positively. Very good chemistry as friends there and was nice on Reina's part to worry briefly in her own way about what would happen if they moved apart in different directions and see each other far less often as a result. Reina is destined to enter the professional musician world and make a big time impact there but Kumiko's not quite in the same wavelength as her about that kind of life. Let's see how the series handles how Kumiko figures out what she truly wants to be and what she wants to do with her next steps after high school. Kind of reminds me in a way of what Nagisa from Assassination Classroom was going through when trying to figure out what he wanted to be and not being quite sure about it. Bonus points to this episode again of not having forced, unbearable and dragged out melodrama on characters I couldn't care about like the last episode.
May 5, 4:49 AM

Mar 2021
Really great episode It would have been nice to see Kumiko accept Mayu's invitation to the festival and spend more time with her. After all this time Kumiko finally got invited over to Reina's house.
May 5, 5:01 AM

Mar 2023
If it's not music school and based on how Kumiko was behaving when she asked her homeroom teacher and Kumiko's personality, teacher might make the most sense for a career.
Agata Festival this year was a home date for Kumiko x Reina.

Auditions next episode will probably start whatever the core of the Mayu drama will be this season.
May 5, 5:23 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Mayu totally gonna sweep Kumiko's spot, i'm not ready.
May 5, 5:41 AM
Jul 2022
A masterpiece in every aspect. Best anime of the season
May 5, 5:42 AM

Jul 2012
Reina is trying so hard getting Kumiko into music school. Obv they were expecting go to the festival together.
Rare Haruka appears.
Auditions coming up
May 5, 5:43 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
The last 3 minutes? Imagine every SoL Anime would look like this. AMAZING KYOTO ANIMATION.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 5, 5:53 AM

May 2015
They didn't seem like young school girls anymore when they dressed up, but lovely women at the begining of the prime of their life. "Cute" should not have been the word Kumiko came up with looking at Reina at the riverside, the way Kyoto Animation decided to depict them had more to do with womanly beauty than girlish cuteness. A great way to get reminded visually of the passing time, the youthful days they are slowly leaving behind.
May 5, 6:00 AM
Mar 2018
Lovely episode! I was so happy to see Kumiko and Reina spend some time together outside of school; they had what seemed like a great night, and I'm glad Reina finally told Kumiko that she wanted her to go to music school with her so they'd remain in each other's lives. <3

I was a little sad for Kuroe, who got the courage to ask Kumiko out. (Though she still got to go to the festival.)
May 5, 6:07 AM

May 2015
Well this episode all but confirms my suspicions that
. Unfortunately didn't get any Ririka this episode
billybubMay 5, 6:16 AM
May 5, 6:41 AM

Nov 2023
I don't think any amount of time can prepare us for the end of Hibike. This episode in particular really drove down the finality of a truly remarkable venture which is poised to liberate in a fleeting instance. "Don't you have dreams for the future?" With our president burdened with numerous dilemmas both within and beyond the wind ensemble, her typical indecisiveness coupled with the hours upon end of presidential duties must be mounting tremendous pressure. Very much susceptible to getting blindsided at any moment I fear. One can hope this push for gold doesn't falter but simultaneously is it reasonable to decide that the stars will align for real? From the executives to the staff to the bandmates and even the family, everyone will need to invest in the advancement of wind ensemble. At the very least, it is evident that we have a reliable and dedicated drum major who also understands the urgency (probably more than buchou). So for me, this episode was the anointing of "the last dance".
May 5, 7:35 AM

Jul 2011
All this uneasiness around Mayu, is seriously worrying me. But I want to know how big of powerhouse she is.

This "friendship" between Kumiko and Reina.

May 5, 7:54 AM
Jun 2007
Ah Reina's afraid of losing friendship with Kumiko once they enter different university.
May 5, 8:07 AM

May 2019
Very beautiful episode about Kumiko started to think about her future and what her connection would be with Reina after all they have special bond. It's cute that Reina was getting jealous of Mayu practising together with Kumiko. Kumiko is a little bit too relatable to me. Being passive, go with the flow, don't have particular goal to strive and being indecisive about her future. The end of high school year is looming and it feels like they are in the end game now. I love the talk about the college and the kind related job between KumiRei. Looks like Kumiko might want to become a teacher maybe music teacher would fit too.

May 5, 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
The episode was uncomfortable at times with regards Kuroe and how she was acting, the potential downfall of people wanting to play with each other come Nationals, the couples and friends situation, and Kumiko Lying.

The one thing I did notice is that the teacher had magnets on her desk, one in a perfect circle and one magnet outside the circle. Well after Reina and Kumiko's moment they shows lights in the water where the circle had broke apart and two lights were now outside the circle.
Can't really put into perspective what the representation was but those moments stood out to me personally.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 5, 8:22 AM
Apr 2021
I'm glad to see Mayu in Kitauji sailor uniform and casual outfit! It's very interesting to see Mayu's development in interacting with Kumiko and the others.
Kumiko and Reina wear dress are beautiful too.
I think I see Haruka and Kaori in Agata Festival!
i'm curious what Kumiko's choice for her career plan
May 5, 8:42 AM

May 2021
They have their uncertainties but I am sure they will pull through magnificently.
Auditions start next piece~~
May 5, 10:26 AM

Feb 2014
It took long enough for Mayu to wear a Kitauji school uniform as it transitions to the summer uniforms, but at least it has finally happened!

Kumiko's dilemma of what she wants to do after graduating high school is something that I think many people can relate to her, myself included. Her teacher did handle their talk pretty well and was encouraging with her approach for giving Kumiko advice. That topic came up again when Kumiko and Reina were hanging out together on the day of the Agata Festival.

Firstly, Reina's house looks impressive (As did having a G-Class Mercedes-Benz on the family driveway.), which got more impressive as Reina showed Kumiko the family's own music studio. Kumiko's visit here was a reminder of how committed Reina is with what she wants to do when she graduates high school, but her worries about her close friendship with Kumiko ending or being heavily effected because of their different career paths was pretty cute.

As expected, the visuals during the scene with Kumiko and Reina walking and talking by the river was a thing of beauty to behold. No matter how many times Kyoto Animation does this, it always leaves me in awe when they go hard on the visual quality for scenes like this. =)

This was a great episode overall. I do see the drama ramping up again once the auditions gets underway, so I do look forward to seeing how everyone performs.
May 5, 10:26 AM
Jan 2022
I love the relationship between kumiko and reina, I thought this episode was perfect in terms of conveying the feeling of loss that we all go through when we finish school... it's something really sad, but also It's also comforting to know that they continued to be friends...
May 5, 10:59 AM

May 2015
Reply to VivaceRex
Very beautiful episode about Kumiko started to think about her future and what her connection would be with Reina after all they have special bond. It's cute that Reina was getting jealous of Mayu practising together with Kumiko. Kumiko is a little bit too relatable to me. Being passive, go with the flow, don't have particular goal to strive and being indecisive about her future. The end of high school year is looming and it feels like they are in the end game now. I love the talk about the college and the kind related job between KumiRei. Looks like Kumiko might want to become a teacher maybe music teacher would fit too.
@VivaceRex watch the first 5 minutes of S3e1 CAREFULLY
May 5, 11:15 AM

Feb 2019
For the first time ever, this episode really drove home the sense of dread at the thought of Hibike ending. Like Kumiko, we the audience, who have seen these girls grow up in front of our eyes over these 3 years can’t help but feel a little lost at the prospect of not being in this world anymore.

Seeing Kumiko lost and confused about what she wants to do in the future is rough, but it’s something she has to figure out on her own. I think we all, Reina included, think her best option would be going to music school. But ultimately she has to decide that for herself. I know whatever she chooses will turn out great.

As for the club, I actually LOVE the idea of it being a meritocracy and everyone having to audition for each competition. Keeps everyone on their toes and motivates people to get better. Just hope it doesn’t ruin any friendships..

Speaking of which, might be in the minority, but I didn’t mind Kumiko lying to Mayu about the festival. Think it was pretty realistic in terms of how high schoolers who are competing would act+she just kinda wanted to do her own thing with Reina.

Kinda crazy this is the first time Kumiko has been to Reina’s home, but they had such a cute segment of the episode. Practicing in Reina’s recording studio and then that riverwalk scene. Reina had kinda been hinting at it all episode, but it’s nice that she straight up came out and said she wants to go to the same school as Kumiko and wants to stay close. Kyoani as usual cooked with the visuals and designs during that scene.

Beautiful episode as usual.
Marinate1016May 5, 11:58 AM
May 5, 11:57 AM
Oct 2020
Man the yuri levels are high this episode. I kind of feel bad for Mayu but we can't have Kumiko cheating on Reina. I really hope they stay friends even after highschool. I'm in junior year right now at high school and I really relate to Kumiko this episode. I have no goals really. Just want to keep watching anime and manga I guess. Nothing I'm passionate about either. Probably just going to go to a state college/university because my parents want me to and I don't really know what else to do. I also now kind of fear not being in contact with anyone anymore after high school. I do talk to people at school and I do sit with a group at lunch etc but I'm not exactly close with the whole group. I feel if it weren't for school I'd really have no one to interact with.

Anyways great episode looking forward to the next one.
May 5, 12:02 PM
Apr 2024
I'm can't wait to see Mayu vs Kumiko.

My guess would be that since there's 3 auditions, Mayu may win the first two but Kumiko's able to win the last one, so that we finally get Kumiko and Reina playing the soli together.
Marinate1016 said:
I was at a PhD graduation when you were sending the original messages and you’re STILL going. I can’t imagine caring this much to continue harassing people, but it’s cool, reported. The weak ban should help you sort it out.
May 5, 12:19 PM
Sep 2022
Amazing, astonishing, excellent and so many other adjectives that I can use to describe the latest episode. Kyoto Animation, I like you so much 🙏
May 5, 1:31 PM

Jul 2016
Kumiko's choice in casual clothes this episode looks pretty. Like she finally decided to spend more than 2 minutes picking an outfit. Kyoani's youtube channel is the best thing to ever happen.

We finally get an explanation for the four seasons motif this season is leaning into.

I'm getting second-hand stress from Kumiko's indecisiveness. Getting reminded by parents, teachers, friends, and fellow students on deciding what you're going to do with your life is tough and this episode shows it really well.

I'm starting to see why Midori-chan says Mayu a jellyfish. Really cute and goes with the flow but can inadvertently sting you if you approach it carelessly. She is kind and seems to genuinely care for the band but has outsider syndrome and is strangely obsessed with keeping the band's "cohesion" so to say. Wonder what made her like that.

KumiRei shippers given a new lease of life I guess. It's really sweet to see Reina truly treasure her friendship with Kumiko. Their scene with the night backdrop looks gorgeous.

Softhenic03 said:
Though it’d happen in due time, but I’m finding it really hard to understand this new girl who for some reason is still in her old school’s uniform(a big WHY)

Not too uncommon actually in real life when a student transfers in. Transfer students often still wear their old uniform while waiting for their new uniform to come in for example. Schools can also grant exceptions for cases like when a third year transfers in halfway through the year and it's fine to just keep wearing their old uniform instead of buying a new one they'll only wear for a few months. And she does wear the Kitauji summer uniform and will probably be wearing the winter one for the performances. That was a long explanation but I was reminded of another one of my favourite anime that had that sort of thing as well.

May 5, 2:15 PM

May 2021
Dang this was the hardest hitting episode we've gotten in a while. Emotional rollercoaster to say the least.

I'm not ready for Hibike! to be over. This is the 5th episode and the feeling of dread is really setting in now. I love this series :(
May 5, 2:24 PM

Dec 2020
Best episode so far for me. Cinematically outrageously beautiful again, hearing a bit of music was just what was needed. Safe to say Kumiko and Shuichi's relationship has been buried lol. Seeing Mayu change unifrom perhaps signifies she feels more accepted but theres serious potential drama between her and kumiko over the solo spot. This episode felt a lot like some of the best episdoes from season 2. Hoping next weeks is as good or better! Really loved this episode might watch it again.
May 5, 2:25 PM
Mar 2015
She may not know her future but she knows who she wants to be with now
May 5, 2:28 PM

Dec 2020
Seeing Kumiko's struggle to decide her future is something i can relate to, when i first watched it i was still in school and now im about to graduate uni. Kumiko saying she wants to have a goal before deciding her future is something i should have though more about, I see a lot of her in myself. What a great character and what a great show!
May 5, 2:35 PM
Aug 2022
Kumiko is so relatable it’s actually crazy.

Reina and Kumiko have such a genuine relationship together than most friends I’ve seen in anime. Same with Kumiko and Suuichi.

Since the first season I’ve noticed these 3 have a better and more natural dynamic together compared to the other characters.

I swear whenever Kumiko and Reina are alone together at night the budget goes up like 1000x 🤣🤣
May 5, 2:38 PM

Jan 2022
This is where I'll call the soli ending up being done by Reina and Mayu. Kumiko will lose the battle (she'll play in the Regionals but not in the Nationals), but win the war (Kitauji gets the National gold). Kumiko's talk with her homeroom teacher hints she'll decide to be a music teacher herself.

Motomu x Sapphire is cute

With this rate of pacing, we might get an S4.
mo_laveMay 5, 2:41 PM
May 5, 2:42 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to mo_lave
This is where I'll call the soli ending up being done by Reina and Mayu. Kumiko will lose the battle (she'll play in the Regionals but not in the Nationals), but win the war (Kitauji gets the National gold). Kumiko's talk with her homeroom teacher hints she'll decide to be a music teacher herself.

Motomu x Sapphire is cute

With this rate of pacing, we might get an S4.
@mo_lave reckon there might be a film just for nationals and post nationals, thatd be nice.
May 5, 3:38 PM

May 2021
Oh gosh, I totally forgot to add that I lost my mind when Hazuki bumped into Haruka and Kaori at the festival. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Asuka to silently show up. LOL it seemed like Hazuki didn't even recognize who they were, I didn't either at first until I ran it back. Love that they added that interaction so subtly.

May 5, 3:42 PM

Jun 2016
It would be “hilarious” if Kumiko will lose to transfer student and we will barely see any music performances or repetitions. Not to say that we already saw a lot of music performance last 5 episodes (nope).

#stolensunfest
May 5, 4:50 PM

May 2015
It was cool seeing Kaori and Haruka again
May 5, 5:28 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
Episode 5, "Futari de Twighlight" (Twilight for Two), is yet another KyoAni masterpiece, where we get to see Kumiko's final Agata matsuri in her high school career. The highlight of the episode was indeed Kumiko visiting Reina's place for the first time, and the two talking about their "special" relationship while walking towards the festival. That "special" relationship was what made Kumiko turn down other people's invites to the festival. It was cute to see Reina worrying about losing Kumiko once they entered college and that was why she was pushing Kumiko to apply to a music school like her. The gorgeous night view of Uji was pretty to see again just as we'd seen in season 1's Agata Festival.

During the Agata matsuri, we also see a cameo appearance of Kaori and Haruka, a shoutout to the beloved senpai from Kumiko's first year. Other important moments covered in this episode include the announcement of Kitauji adopting the Seira system of having 3 auditions, one before each competition, as well as Mayu still worrying about taking a competition spot over the other Euphonium members. I definitely think that there is some sort of foreshadowing, where perhaps Mayu is the one that ends up taking the Eupho-Trumpet solo in the piece at nationals or earlier.

May 5, 6:30 PM

Aug 2020
Three auditions... A test that will pick the best of the best, the most prepared students to be part of the Nationals.

Choosing the path that will lead towards the future is never an easy task. I look forward to what will be the best choice. I wonder how Agata Festival will be.

And wow, they are really using the bait with all they can xD I'm really enjoying this season so far

May 5, 7:31 PM

Nov 2021
Wow that scene of Reina telling Kumiko that she wants them to stay together in the future was just absolutely beautiful, KyoAni keeps outdoing themselves with each episode.
May 5, 8:00 PM

Aug 2020
nothing comes next to this Kumiko and Reina connection, damn
May 5, 8:33 PM
Jan 2018
:) dont mess with us kyoani
May 5, 8:33 PM

Feb 2016
My heart cant take the yuri bait i really love kumiko and reina together and it makes me really sad cause they wont end up together.. i still love the scenes ofc and it was extremely beautiful but god how much i wish it was true.
I love their relationship and it has soo much more depth and story than whatever they were doing with shoe.
its really a shame

May 5, 9:28 PM

Mar 2020
Uncertainty of the future can be tough, but things look to be alright…

It’s never easy thinking about the future when one doesn’t have a goal in mind, and what Kumiko’s going through is honestly pretty relatable to me, as someone who didn’t have any real goals or ambitions during my time in high school, thinking about the future was something I pushed aside more often than not. It led to a lot of following what other people said, and that’s how Kumiko has lived a good chunk of her life, but as people grow up, they need to make their own decisions, and this is a nice look at some coming-of-age themes.

As for Reina, her relationship with Kumiko, from both of their perspectives, is something special. They push each other while having a ton of fun around each other, but there’s always the possibility of them growing apart due to differences in their dreams or goals. With Reina going to music school, obviously she wanted Kumiko to join her, but with Kumiko, she has the tough task of balancing what she wants to do, along with whether or not she’d be able to make a living off of it. I loved the relatability in this episode, and it was yet another fantastic one.
May 5, 10:21 PM
Oct 2016
Might be the best episode of the season thus far. The way they're setting up further conflict, th eway how they're hinting at said future conflict by simply positioning the characters in either light or dark, the little details in the cutaways that represent each character's inner thoughts, and MY GOD. Kumiko and Reina's relationship. Reina's worries about the future shining through her tough outer shell because she really cares about Kumiko and her relationship with her. Its outstanding.
May 6, 1:57 AM

May 2015
"No, no, this show isn't gay, really !"

Are you sure about that ?
May 6, 1:58 AM

Aug 2020
Beautiful just Beautiful KyoAni
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

90 by RioFS »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 19

67 by Hatsuyuki »»
9 hours ago

» Smiling Reina

Oreki_Houtaro24 - Jun 5

4 by KitsuFrost »»
Yesterday, 7:07 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 26

95 by Ranxomare »»
Yesterday, 4:30 AM

» Sucks to be Shuichi?

Laplace_kun - May 18

23 by amusedpatata »»
Jun 5, 12:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.