Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 3, 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
Man, this show has style. I don't just mean the bartender himself but the way it entertains the audience.

Premise is pretty simple but I like the overall adult cast focused setting. Ryuu Sasakura has charisma although also seems like a rather normal guy when not working. Some female characters are introduced in this episode although I believe the story feels very easy pacing and not something complex.

Animation looks fine too for what's shown. They also took time to actually animate the process of mixing the drinks. Ryuu's got style and skills.
Apr 3, 8:30 AM

Dec 2021
Spring 2024: The season of revivals and remakes of classics, and this time it's mangaka Akari Jou's CLASSIC, Bartender, almost 18 YEARS after the OG anime debuted.

After completing his studies in France, Ryuu Sasakura returned to Tokyo and began working as an assistant to a senior bartender at the Lapin bar. Eventually, he opened his own establishment called Eden Hall in a secluded corner of the Ginza district. It's said that one cannot simply stumble upon Eden Hall; instead, they must be personally invited by the host. Sasakura is renowned for serving the "Glass of the Gods," indicating his expertise in crafting the perfect drink for any occasion. These "Glass of the Gods" are capable of soothing the souls of customers at the bar.

I also appreciate a well-made cocktail. It's such a relief after holding it for so long... wait... Anyway, this show looks like a lot of fun. I mean, my man broke an ice sculpture to put in a cocktail, lol. This bartender has some creative flair, and I'm all for it. But you know what's even better than the bartender himself? The way he shakes up those drinks. It's so smooth, even though you know that shot burns like hell. I just want a sip of it. The animation of him pouring and shaking the drinks is surprisingly good, especially considering this is a relatively new studio behind the anime. I've never watched the OG anime, but the vibes seem spot on. Now I really want to go to a bar, lol.

It's just good vibes from this anime, and no, it's not just because I enjoy drinking alcohol. It's just got a refreshing atmosphere, and I'm here for it.

Apr 3, 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
The Spring season is no short of revivals through reboots/remakes of classics, and mangaka Araki Joh alongside illustrator Kenji Nagamoto's old-school Bartender manga, which had an anime back in Fall 2006, this is the new remake after 17.5 years.

The OP and ED are so smooth, mellow and suave.

A prestigious hotel needs a prestigious bartender for a bar, and sadly, upstage bartenders thinking they got the skills to impress a business, their candidates are sadly not experienced enough in this. as colleagues of Miwa Kurushima and Yukari Higuchi are scouting for a capable bartender being able to make the aforementioned Glass of God for their boss: Miwa's father and president of Hotel Cardinal, Chairman Taizo. With the exception of an unremarkable man who is not caught up in technology, both ladies do their research, only to the detriment that their results reap no fruit. And said guy of Ryu Sasakura, he's also a bartender too, but at this moment, he's a nobody.

An unremarkable man by day, and a remarkable bartender at Edenhall after hearing good reviews online, and both Miwa and Yukari are given one final push to see the bar in Ginza, eventually seeing Ryu as the famed bartender. And what he made for her: a Highball that's not dumbed down in taste, that suits Miwa perfectly just by observation alone. Though Ryu is more renowned overseas, still, he is the great candidate of theirs...while almost forgetting his book, while he returns home after a long time.

A calm slice-of-life series, with added plot.
KANLen09Apr 4, 6:32 AM
Apr 3, 9:30 AM
Jul 2023
A man who don’t know how to use a smartphone? Interesting character story there.

A very chill and smooth first episode, really liking the vibe.
Apr 3, 9:35 AM
Sep 2015
Which beverage companies are funding this anime LOL?

I'm not into alcohol, probably drink less than once a year. So of course I can't really tell any difference if my drink is good or bad. I do prefer a flashy hot bartender who I can flirt with though. With that said, I admire the delicacy and the observative power of people in profession, be it doctor/chef/bartender, and if the anime portrayal can capture all devils that hide in the details, then it is a good anime.
Apr 3, 9:51 AM
Aug 2022
The opening song is amazing.
Bartender (Stardust Memory)
Apr 3, 9:53 AM
Apr 2022
so is this the remake then?
Apr 3, 9:54 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty nice and chill first episode. I haven't seen the original version btw.
Apr 3, 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
I fairly liked the original anime so it is good to see a remake of this. And it was solid. Very cathartic and relaxing as a whole, sound effects during the shaking and breaking down the ice was so refreshing and satisfying to listen to, and I did like the exploration of how much being able to notice the little details of the customer is a big thing for a high-time bartender, more than the actual quality of drinks themselves. In general, just a calm, breath of fresh air of an episode to start off this series. And to be honest, I do appreciate having a series like this with an adult cast like this to act as said breather. Opening song ain't as good as the original but it holds its own in some ways.
Apr 3, 10:03 AM

Feb 2021
Never heard about this before the remake announcement, but decided to check this out anyway. And fun fact: My dad is also a bartender, so I can ask him about accuracy of things here if I want :P
From the trailers I assumed that this will be some detective series with crime solving and stuff, but apparently this is an iyashikei. Thankfully I love iyashikei.

"tender" in "bartender" is actually something like "seller"... But I like this interpretation.
This was really nice! Definitely looking forward to more.
Apr 3, 10:10 AM

Mar 2021
This was a really chill and nice episode I have never seen the original before so am looking forward to seeing what this show has to offer.
Apr 3, 10:20 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to Mainnus
A man who don’t know how to use a smartphone? Interesting character story there.

A very chill and smooth first episode, really liking the vibe.
Mainnus said:

The source story came out in 2004, so of course he doesn't (;
Apr 3, 10:21 AM
Jan 2018
I like the original version but to be served with this version including the unorthodox bartender, I feel like this will be on top of my list for F&B anime. Can't wait for the Cinderella episode
Apr 3, 10:41 AM

Sep 2016
I thought tha was a solid first episode. It was nice to see Sasakura being a bum in the regular world XD. The old anime's story telling method was a lot more like a TV drama but so far this show isnæt hurt by doing a more traditional anime story telling approach.
Apr 3, 10:42 AM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
That was a beautiful first episode. The gourmet drinks, the chill nature of the show, the awesome intro and the laid back ending and of course we can’t forget about how smooth the animation and art style is. Looking forward to this show. Never saw the original either, but I’m very excited for this one.
Apr 3, 10:49 AM
Apr 2021
Already by the intro it seemed to give of a rather comforting vibe, considering it's based on the 2006 Bartender anime and the manga i am looking forward to the rest of the anime.
Apr 3, 10:50 AM
Nov 2023
Kami no anime. You'll know it when you watch it.
9/10 (for now)
Apr 3, 10:53 AM
Sep 2022
it 100% lives up to the good feel relaxing iyashikei like the original from 2006
the music and artwork is great
Apr 3, 10:59 AM

Nov 2016
After getting the Yamazaki Whiskey myself I started to notice to frequently he's featured in anime with a bar setting or party location(it's only the 2nd time I saw him)

From what I remember it feels pretty different from the OG anime, but I like it. Yeah, the 2006 version was definitely more somber.

P.S. Bro would be embarassed for me if he saw what kind of drinks I served to customers during rush hour or big events đź’€
FMmatronApr 5, 7:13 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 11:14 AM
Sep 2014
The first half of the episode was on the slower end but the second half interested me enough to continue watching. Ryuu . the bartender is so handsome
Apr 3, 12:19 PM

May 2020
Something about this show feels very satisfying. Just sitting down and watching them talking about drinks, or someone making those.. it's uber relaxing lol.

Will be looking forward to this every week.
Apr 3, 12:23 PM

Apr 2012
So, is this another show about a quirky genius with autistic tendencies? Although I have to admit, after the first episode the protagonist (?) seems quite charismatic and memorable.
Apr 3, 12:35 PM

Dec 2017
1/10

Don't do alcohol kids.
âťťKabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.âťž
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 3, 12:46 PM

May 2016
Yuru Camp for adults? :' ) Good start!
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Apr 3, 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
Its back.

Great first episode.
Apr 3, 12:58 PM
Mar 2023
Of the little I remember of the original, Sasakura was almost always Mr Smooth so I was thrown off by the quirky start.
Apr 3, 1:02 PM
Jun 2009
It was a very comfy episode.
Apr 3, 1:05 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I can tell that I'm going to like this show because of its unique charm. As some who occasionally drinks alcohol(mostly whisky drinks), I found this show very enjoyable especially when Ryuu Sasakura made that highball. He was so smooth.

Not bad for a remake.
Apr 3, 1:19 PM
Nov 2021
I think it's been a good start, but a bit slow for me.
Apr 3, 1:21 PM
Aug 2014
Well, I really liked the dynamics of the first episode and how the protagonist was presented.
I have a weakness for anime with this proposal and I simply loved the entire construction of the episode and especially the bartender and how he shows himself to be an observant and kind person.
Apr 3, 1:36 PM
Oct 2019
Any manga readers who can tell if this remake gonna be a good adaptation ? From what we see of this 1st episode of course.
Apr 3, 1:37 PM

Aug 2019
This isn't really for me lol I don't drink at all so there are probably going to be a lot of things I don't get. Might give it another episode, maybe not
Apr 3, 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
I expected nothing, and I'm still let down.

There's so much anime BS on the side of support cast that I don't know where to begin. The owner of the new building wants a bartender that can be a step ahead from the customer and pretty much babysit them rather than you know what any bartender do is to just serve them the drinks that they want. The owner or whoever is in charge of managing the lower staff also doesn't want to spend extra money to find this miraculous bartender that can serve a god drink. They rejected the hot guy that knew how to keep the ladies entertained. These are already big red flags of idiots that don't know how to run a business let alone a big corporation.

The amount of miraculous encounters from the scouting ladies with the bartender is more ridiculous than those in romance shows. And to top it all, some of the lines are cringy as fuck "there are only 2 professions that you must not deceive" it feels like it was written by a teen to impress other teens. Miwa's reaction to the highball served by the bartender was ridiculously excessive, it was just a freaking drink, he didn't find the cure for a deadly disease, nor cooked a meal that would make their clothes burst into nothing.

I'll keep watching a few more episodes, but my expectations are already below ground level.
Apr 3, 1:59 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
They're looking for a bartender who can cure cancer or something lol. I like the calm vibe the show has, I hope it stays that way and it doesn't get too dramatic.
Apr 3, 2:00 PM

Jun 2020
this is the type of show I've been waiting for. It's been a long time since Isekai Shokudou was released, this anime brought me to the atmosphere of that time.

Can't wait to see the next episode.
Apr 3, 2:08 PM

Jan 2016
Very solid first episode.
This is as chill as you can get, which worries me that it may suffer from the "more of the same" syndrome. Also, our MC seem to be at the start of a very chill and simple life with not much challenges or drama thrown at him. (which is fine but maybe not something one would've hope for)

That's cool too though, this show will act as a breath of fresh air and I'm here for it.

The art is rock solid, and not too corrected so the animation is smooth so far too. All around solid looking show.
Loved the imagery based storyboard that you'd expect from this kind of anime, that segment was perfect.
SephirodApr 3, 2:15 PM
My candies :
Apr 3, 2:22 PM
Dec 2022
Apparently this is a remake, I gotta watch the original soon
I like the opening, ed isnt bad

This guy really is the bartender
Apr 3, 2:33 PM
Mar 2022
Sephirod said:
Very solid first episode.
This is as chill as you can get, which worries me that it may suffer from the "more of the same" syndrome. Also, our MC seem to be at the start of a very chill and simple life with not much challenges or drama thrown at him. (which is fine but maybe not something one would've hope for)

That's cool too though, this show will act as a breath of fresh air and I'm here for it.

The art is rock solid, and not too corrected so the animation is smooth so far too. All around solid looking show.
Loved the imagery based storyboard that you'd expect from this kind of anime, that segment was perfect.

It’s not meant to be overarching in most ways. It’s a story of the week type show
Apr 3, 2:34 PM

Aug 2017
Gave it a chance and appreciate how it's made but as someone who doesn't drink unfortunately my interest isn't there for it.
Apr 3, 2:54 PM

Jul 2022
Another remake this season.

I quite liked it. As someone who enjoys drinking alcohol without getting drunk, the style and grace with which he prepares and explains his cocktail were fantastic. The OP and ED perfectly complement the anime's style. A great first episode in my opinion.
Apr 3, 3:52 PM

May 2013
Reply to redorzo
Gave it a chance and appreciate how it's made but as someone who doesn't drink unfortunately my interest isn't there for it.
@redorzo I don't drink at all either, but I still liked it. I can see the potential for a decent iyashikei side of the show.
Apr 3, 3:58 PM

May 2012
I quite liked the original. The first episode of the remake definitely has a different vibe but shows promise.
Apr 3, 4:02 PM

Apr 2022
glad this is back with the remake since the og had very outdated visuals. but i still think i preferred the og's vibe it had going for it with the music, this is still not bad though.
Apr 3, 4:27 PM
Mar 2022
That was rather elegant~
Apr 3, 4:48 PM
Apr 2022
that was a good chill episode
Apr 3, 4:58 PM
Aug 2020
I didn’t know what to expect and i really enjoyed this first ep

It was a great start…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 3, 5:09 PM

Sep 2023
After camping and Hokkaido, is Japan trying to promote alcoholism? So MC does not know how to anser the phone? Talk about a remake xD

Such hard work having to tour the local bars to find a suitable bartender! This one is very chill, I like the good vibes I'm getting from it.
Apr 3, 5:33 PM

Oct 2018
I don't mind if this is a rerun, but this show has a different vibe and I love it.
Apr 3, 5:35 PM
Nov 2020
relaxing, pretty good
Apr 3, 5:53 PM

Feb 2022
I remember the 2006 one being pretty popular in the under circles. It will be interesting to see people exposed to bartender again.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29

34 by SouthRzVa »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 22

24 by Ranxomare »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15

45 by patkarunungan »»
Yesterday, 4:23 AM

» very underrated

Benedito29 - May 8

45 by Merve2Love »»
May 30, 4:58 PM

» What's your favorite drink?

davi__ - May 20

44 by AshPikaKetchum »»
May 30, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.