Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Delicious in Dungeon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 6:00 AM

Nov 2011
Ah yes, a nutritious meals are important. No wonder they decided to hunt a basilisk based on that logic so they can get those nutrients.

I find it pretty interesting how everyone approached this episode's logic. There's also the hunting, cooking, and usual Dungeon Meshi style of elements used this episode. Marcille's personality is also starting to catch on to me. She's smart but also a bit strange in this show/episode.

May 2020
It’s kind of a problem if even in dreams all someone could imagine is a feast… made up of grotesque monsters lol. I genuinely get Marcille there, I mean she’s already tried af from their eating routines. Though once in a while, when you see someone eating something so out of place like pork in a dungeon, it goes without saying this party would try to get their hands on something alike too…

… as they did with Basilisk. Toasted Basilisk might have felt good(?), but they need to get their priorities straight lol. Someone was about to die, and Senshi was dead set on cooking. Though that did work later but still lol. By the way, I really like how in an attempt to prove she isn’t a deadweight to the party, Marcille went all the way to pluck Mandrakes out in her own original way… which kind of failed in the end lol.

Good she came out clean, and for the first time in a while they ate something which looked normal… Mandrake and Basilisk Omelette. Can’t vouch for the contents tho lol. Also, we know Senshi kind of gets too excited over food and cooking, but please trust Chilchuck, despite his childlike appearance. Or they've already quite started.

Dec 2021
Senshi really knows his stuff when it comes to getting stronger—way better than any of that YouTube advice.

Senshi insists that a well-balanced diet is crucial for labyrinth exploration. Laios' party targets the monster Basilisk, which has the body of a chicken and the tail of a snake, to obtain nutritious eggs and meat. While encountering a Basilisk attacking novice adventurers during their exploration, Laios, who is well-versed in the monster's ecology, unleashes a secret technique. Laios takes charge, attempting to intimidate the beast with loud shouts and exaggerated posturing to make himself appear larger, much to the embarrassment of Marcille and Chilchuck. Joining forces, Laios and Senshi collaborate to defeat the basilisk by confusing it with attacks from different angles.

Man, I really love Senshi. But you know, I'm not a big fan of games that make you use healing items for cooking stuff. I guess it's okay if there's an inventory/weight limit and you can cook or craft anytime to get rid of extra items; it just makes sense as a game mechanic—swap things for other things. Oh, and about snake meat, it does taste like chicken, but there's this distinct gamey feel to it. We used to eat them a lot when I was a kid during harvest season. Just wanted to share that.

We keep on eating well, at least on our end. I don't know how Marcille is holding up, though—lmao.

Jan 11, 6:02 AM
Aug 2020
another great episode with some great scenes

i'm hungry now...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 11, 6:29 AM
Jun 2023
Dammit I didn't prepare enough food for the second ep, I'm still hungry fuck....
Jan 11, 6:35 AM

Nov 2010
Somehow the anime team depicted eyes of the bird-like monster in detail. When I petted a crow in a park that probably was suffering concussion, I had a chance to see winks of whitish membranes.
Jan 11, 6:36 AM

Feb 2021
Btw, there are 2 versions of English subs, both are by Netflix. One is subs for the Japanese audio (the ones that you'd want to watch the anime with), the other is for the English dub. This episode, the ones for JP audio starts with "I'm back, Mom", while the dub ones start with "Hi, Mom! I'm home!".

Quite a lot of people were put off by how everyone wasn't too worried about Laios' sister being eaten last week. Understandable, but as it was stated, revival exists in this world, so I don't really mind it.

2:41 "513 fiscal year survey" "Dried meat, bread, wine, other"

2:44 "The statistics of nutrients from bodies at the time of death heard from a reviver"
Top-left corner: Years 400-500 (closer to 500 is darker, closer to 400 is brighter)
The statistics (clock-wise, starting from the top): "carbohydrate, fats, minerals, protein, vitamins"

3:49 "The cool monster I thought up"

4:00 clock-wise: "cool, unexpectedly aggressive, spur (it's a body part), it's also a bit like a reptile"

Laios' strategy with making yourself seem as big as possible is also applicable in real life against big animals, I've heard. Bears, for example.
12:27 Does anyone know if the language used for magic is real or not?

14:55 "Main body", "tail"

23:20 It actually says "Mandrake kakiage and big bat tempura" (天 (ten) is a shortening of 天ぷら (tempura))

Such a wholesome ending ヾ(≧▽≦*)o. And the animation and art remain as gorgeous as ever.
I reeeally want to see the sister now. She's both in the OP and ED.
Jan 11, 6:46 AM

Mar 2021
Another great episode the food looked delicious and has now made me very hungry
Jan 11, 6:48 AM

Sep 2021
that's another great episode!
Jan 11, 7:07 AM

Jan 2021
Ohhh! They ate chicken... for real. Although it was a chicken-tailed snake.... but after it was fried, it was shaped like a real fried chicken. I honestly thought it was a snake-tailed chicken too, who would have thought it was the opposite? :"D

The second segment when frying the fritters reminded me again that teamwork must be full of tolerance, patience and cooperation. I like Chilchuck's mindset, but he does pair well with Senshi who tends to be more relaxed. As the narrator said, bread can't replace chicken and chicken can't replace bread, but both taste better when combined ~

Jan 11, 7:13 AM
Jan 2024
Well-paced, better adapt then the first episode
Jan 11, 7:21 AM

Apr 2022
bit of a run in with a basilisk, they chowed down lol. marcille is very sane, or at least she's trying her best to be.
Jan 11, 7:24 AM

Oct 2020
They are a bunch strange bunch for Adventurers.
Jan 11, 7:27 AM

Dec 2016
The comedic style isn't doing it for me. I'm just hoping that at least Laios acting like a clown either fades away or I just become numb to it on the long run. Same with Marcille's reluctance to eating monsters.

As a fan of RPG knowledge, at least the whole lore behind mechanical traps is quite interesting. And the cooking segments still look awesome, so that's my reason to stick with this one.

Edit: Chillchuck acting all responsible towards detecting traps feel awfully inconsistent if compared to his chill stance in episode 1 after they lost their food supplies before the dragon encounter.
KimurahJan 11, 7:30 AM
Jan 11, 7:32 AM

Oct 2017
Using traps to cook lol. More delicious looking food and Marcille screaming, was fun. ED is nice too.
Jan 11, 7:36 AM
Oct 2023
Fantastic world and great storyline
Jan 11, 7:43 AM
Sep 2015
Need more world-building and less cooking
Jan 11, 7:50 AM
Jun 2020
Incredible episode with great direction & animation
Jan 11, 7:59 AM

Jul 2011
Poor dogs that were sacrificed for just one plant.

Oh no! Bat meat. -Flashback of the last few years-

I like the ED illustrations.
Jan 11, 8:09 AM

Jan 2009
fun episode they are eating bats though that is how you start a pandemic if not cook properly lol

nice op and ed for this show
Jan 11, 8:15 AM
Feb 2019
WTF? They go to a dungeon JUST TO EAT. And that's all. I wonder HOW this can be rated so high? Pretty shi*** anime. Dropped.
Jan 11, 9:14 AM

Dec 2022
i knew it should have watched it after eating dinner now i am starving
anyway they got some eggs and bat meat hope they dont get corona also if they keep on going in this pace who knows when they are gonna reach the dragon
Jan 11, 9:17 AM

Jul 2017
It was better. Still feels somewhat unfocused for the time being and visually still isn't Trigger's most exciting but it did look consistent again, world looks fleshed out nicely with the monsters animated with detail and I did adjust somewhat to the art and color palettes too. Humor is still a bit hit-miss but I did like the cast more in this episode than the previous one (especially with Marcille being somewhat refreshing among the crew). The cooking instructions and watching Senshi prepare recipes with instructions can still be a drag at times to be honest, even if the food does look good visually. Despite the cooking segments being kinda meh, it's at least good that the series at least has strong enough world building in general to rely on in this series for the start regardless of how the characters or the lack of progression story-wise can feel at times to bring some sort of anticipation towards the future. Can't say it had me excited or completely invested throughout the episode but I wasn't feeling as iffy about it compared to last week. Still don't really know whether this show is going to be good or not, but I'll be patient for now until this kicks into next gear at some point in the future.
Jan 11, 9:23 AM

Mar 2020
Better than last week for sure as the comedy and cooking scenes held my attention much more. Still very high energy as expected from a Trigger anime, with very laid back scenes as well. Good world building, and just overall really fun watching the cast's chemistry together. I'm much more convinced than I was last week.
Jan 11, 9:25 AM

Jun 2014
Senshi really doesn’t give a shit about any of the traps lol, all he has is cooking on his mind. That was pretty creative though, to take advantage of the traps to aid in the meal prep. It was also nice to see him and Chilchuck bond a little more. Loving the character interactions and of course the food looks amazing as always.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 11, 10:34 AM
Jan 2016
Really liked the ED. Wish they'd used that song for the OP though.
Jan 11, 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
This anime makes me hungry. Need to learn how to cook.
sic mundus
Jan 11, 10:58 AM
Jul 2016
Episode 2 of Dungeon Meshi, let's go!!!

It's honest to God, kinda funny that we see the gang eat bats in this episode, considering what happened in the Wuhan wet Market, lmao. The original manga chapter would have come out in 2014, so Ryouko Kui would have had no insight of the pandemic.

Anyway, I've never eaten bat before, anyone have any insight on what it tastes like? Can't knock it until you've tried it, I guess. No sane person is risking diseases if it don't taste good, lol.

Anyway, I loved the interactions between Senshi and Chilchuck in this episode. It makes it funnier in hindsight when you realize a)
and b)

Marcille is a funny mess in this episode. We all love her though.

This episode adapts chapters 3-5, if anyone wants to go check out the manga.
erikkamirsJan 11, 11:11 AM
Jan 11, 11:10 AM

Feb 2014
As I'm typing my post right now, thanks to this episode, I have a nice hot chicken takeaway! It succeeded in making me hungry! XD

The comedy balance was better here compared to the first episode, mostly thanks to Marcille being overly ambitious with her ways of getting mandrakes in the most chaotic fashion. Still, at least her way did make the mandrakes more delicious when they had an omelette. Not only that, but she was happy in having chicken from a Basilisk, which was park chicken, park snake. This was the main reason for my takeaway dinner tonight...

Chilchuck does act a bit too stubborn and should learn to stress a little less, but I do admire the commitment he puts into dis-arming traps and making sure that the group can proceed safely. Although, thanks to Senshi not giving a crap, he did use the traps to his advantage in making deep fried food.

The ED song was an upbeat jam, which does compliment well with the nice looking stills. So far, the chemistry of the cast has been fun, where the production quality does shine with the comedic moments, as well as when Senshi cooks food, where the details to the preparations are very good. =)
Jan 11, 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to erikkamirs
Episode 2 of Dungeon Meshi, let's go!!!

It's honest to God, kinda funny that we see the gang eat bats in this episode, considering what happened in the Wuhan wet Market, lmao. The original manga chapter would have come out in 2014, so Ryouko Kui would have had no insight of the pandemic.

Anyway, I've never eaten bat before, anyone have any insight on what it tastes like? Can't knock it until you've tried it, I guess. No sane person is risking diseases if it don't taste good, lol.

Anyway, I loved the interactions between Senshi and Chilchuck in this episode. It makes it funnier in hindsight when you realize a)
and b)

Marcille is a funny mess in this episode. We all love her though.

erikkamirs said:

so if its 3 chapters per episode that is 72 chapters total for 24 episodes so that means trigger still needs 1 cour aka 12 episodes more for the final arc eh
Jan 11, 11:17 AM

Jul 2021
I'm finding myself 100% focused during the cooking instructions, and it's not even real cooking... It's actually kinda interesting and feels believable.

Weirdly this is filling a Yuru Camp-shaped hole in my heart. It'll be my Thursday treat.
Jan 11, 11:40 AM

Aug 2022
I really enjoy the cooking parts!
Jan 11, 11:44 AM

Jun 2023
There’s still a sister to be saved..

Guess you can’t rush it
Jan 11, 11:55 AM
Jan 2024
Episode 2 was pretty alright. I have never been too in to shows like this, but so far I am willing to ride this show out to see where it goes. One thing these shows never fail at is making me hungry... Maybe I'll go make an omelette or something.
Jan 11, 12:02 PM
Mar 2021
creative ways to use traps. I like the ecosystem building too. sounds like the anime will be pretty unique in its approach.
Jan 11, 1:15 PM
Nov 2016
I swear, i thought that was the mandrake's scream ahah

Poor Mercille can't catch a break. It's nice of her comrades to remind her that she is important for the group

I did enjoy the Chilchuk part, since he's my favorite chracter (But I Really love all the 4 main characters). It's nice that he and Senshi found a funny and nice understanding between them.

Another lovely episode. This is already one of my favorite series of the season
Jan 11, 1:58 PM
Jul 2015
I swear this episode was no longer than 10 minutes, shorter probably.
Jan 11, 2:38 PM

Nov 2016
The opening is such a vibe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 11, 2:43 PM

May 2018
I didn't had as much laughter with Trigger show since Little Witch Academia.
Jan 11, 3:28 PM

Sep 2023
I love Senshi explaining the cooking to the audience like of course we have those ingredients
Jan 11, 3:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Enjoyed how both halves of this one were kinda focused on Marcille and Chilchuck, except for the first part where they killed a chimera lookin’ monster and turned it into a rotisserie chicken lol. Marcille was struggling to feel useful so she ended up trying her own method to get the mandrake roots out than what Senshi was doing, and the resulting chaos and derpy version of Marcille was hilarious lol. Thankfully the party reassured Marcille afterward, and as it turns out Marcille’s method ended up making the dish they made better and taught Senshi something, a nice way to turn things around.

And in the 2nd half we saw Chilchuck getting pissed at Senshi for not listening to him regarding the traps, I understand Chilchuck’s frustration here giving how traps can mean life or death but Senshi’s not giving a fuck was pretty funny lol. And after somehow making use of a trap’s oil they made some deep fried goods, and in the end Senshi and Chilchuck settled their differences and became closer, a wholesome end for sure. And wow, I absolutely loved that ED, some nice visuals and the song banged, that’s an artist I don’t think I’ve heard since they did My Hero Season 4’s 2nd ED (which was also a banger) so it’s very nice to hear them again after all this time.
TheColonel76Jan 11, 3:37 PM
Jan 11, 4:19 PM
Jul 2023
Comedy doesn't hit with me. It just seems like a little bit of cooking surrounded by a show of insufferable jerks outside of Marcille which seems to at least be a normal anime girl character
Jan 11, 4:30 PM
Nov 2020
This episode was pretty funny 😄
Jan 11, 4:32 PM
Jan 2024
After an amazing premiere Dungeon Meshi Aka Delicious in Dungeon episode two somehow managed to top the first! For those who were let down by the lack of triggers signature, animation style in episode one will probably like episode two much better since it’s chock full of triggers, iconic, visuals! Episode two also does a much better job at developing the characters and The kind of dynamics we should see from them going forward! Overall, very satisfied with this episode And I can’t wait to see the next one!
Jan 11, 4:49 PM
May 2022
Great episode again, truly one of the best of the season. Even funnier episode than last time. Resident girl-fail Marcille learns she’s not useless after the dumb bat-mandragora plan. And the second half was also funny. It’s a wonder Senshi is still alive being so lax around traps lol. Also how chillchuck conveniently leaves Laios out when talking about everyone’s specialties. Really good character building this time around, heavily enjoying the anime
Jan 11, 5:12 PM
Nov 2020
This show feels like ot has its priorities reversed haha
Jan 11, 5:22 PM

May 2019
I have heard that snake tastes like chicken so having a half snake/chicken chimera sort of makes sense in that respect. I am a little surprised that the group is taking their time in saving Laios' sister but I guess in that world she can be revived (but still, come on she's being digested! x_x)
Jan 11, 5:23 PM

Jul 2016
Marcille's face while affected by the Mandrake's cry was hilarious xD
Jan 11, 5:51 PM

Mar 2020
Another great and fun episode. I'm so hungry seeing the foods hahaha. Really loved this show.

The Marcille-chan scenes are really funny hahaha and Laios-kun just showing his love about monsters. The OP visuals and song is growing on me. I love it now. The ED visuals and song is nice too.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jan 11, 6:23 PM

Apr 2009
Oh nice strat simultaneously taking down the basilisk which at first glance I thought: "Huh, isnt that a cockratice?"...and apparently another mythical animal on it's own. I blame Harry Potter for everything else. XD

Now that's just trap (and no, not that kind you're probably thinking) abuse or very creative uses/exploitation of them. Fire trap as stove, oil trap (olive oil for crying out loud!) as cooking oil and blade traps as meat cleaver/chopper.

We're only at episode two but Marcille being miserable with dungeon monsters as food (until she actually ate them cooked by Senshi, of course) then this anime should be titled "Marcille's Perpetual Suffering" instead . LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am sure you all must have noticed it, but didn't pay any mind

Yeshaiah2015yesh - May 30

19 by SgtBateMan »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OtterBoy1 - May 30

79 by tekkenshu7 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 11

85 by InfinityDude88 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28

118 by MrcyPrcy »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 16

84 by red-tomato »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.