Forum Settings
Forums

Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime.

New
Mar 24, 2021 6:39 PM

Dec 2019
With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation, why should people watch older anime? People have so much good stuff to watch nowadays that there isn't much incentive to go back, unless it's for nostalgia and history research purposes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2021 6:41 PM

Apr 2020
because thats where the originality comes from since its a first
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2021 6:44 PM

Mar 2020
There is no objectively better anime. It's all subjective.
Some people like old anime, some people like new one.
Can't we all just get along. Good grief.
Mar 24, 2021 6:45 PM

Oct 2017
Better color choices and shading. More vibrant colors overall are used, and the colors get warmer as they darken which adds great contrast. Most modern anime don't do this. I also just like the look of anime that was done on cel with film grain and sharp edges being visible as it just is a higher quality image than what digital can produce. Same thing with old movies too
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 24, 2021 6:46 PM

Feb 2016
Because Castle in the Sky is an old anime that is better than Redo of Healer, which is new.
その目だれの目?
Mar 24, 2021 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
the comedy and art style in old anime is much more unique and enjoyable than most of the stuff that comes out nowadays
I always find myself laughing with shows like one piece and GTO but I when I watch seasonal anime I have a poker face

I can't generalize tho, old comedy can be pretty cringy at times and the animation can get hilariously bad
comparing both is a waste of time since they're very different from each other but they have the same enjoyment potential
removed-userMar 24, 2021 6:54 PM
Mar 24, 2021 6:50 PM
Sep 2020
Lots of better stories, more character development, not so puber-friendly so is a lot usual showing things that require more attention to another things and not just the visuals, and a lot of variety, and I can go on and on.
Mar 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Jan 2020
Because since all anime is different, There are older shows that have nothing to replace them, Tell me how many shows were able to capture a feeling similar to Bebop's, Or Evangelion's, Also, Different times have different pros and cons, For example older anime were way more experimental with shows, Or maybe some people watch older shows because they like the cel look.

I'd really recommend watching this video by Gigguk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUKiANYyeMM&t=621s&pbjreload=101
It talks about why older anime is liked by many people without the elitist snob-like attitude
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Mar 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Nov 2008
All decades have good anime.

There is no reason to choose between them.

Mar 24, 2021 6:54 PM

Oct 2020
Old shows in general aren't better or worse than new ones. But, the best old shows can easily rival the best new ones.

What are you defining as 'old'?

If you're talking about pre-2000, no anime has managed to match the scale and political discussions of Legends of the Galactic Heroes. A lot of the best psychological shows are also pre-2000 (NGE, SEL, Utena). For Neon Genesis Evangelion, in particular, very few shows can boast as thorough a psychoanalysis. Then, there's obviously people that prefer the older art styles compared to the ones most shows have now.

If you're talking about pre-2010, there's tons of amazing masterpieces that you'd miss out on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2021 6:56 PM

Jan 2021
older anime is better than new anime and new anime is better than old anime
Mar 24, 2021 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
Why does something have to be better for it to be worth considering? Like the topics I see on old anime fans complaining about new anime these are years if not decades worth of content covering a lot of different things. Just like now you have good, bad and meh shows and what you consider good, bad or meh is going to depend on what kinds of stories you enjoy and what you value in media.

Considering the fact you enjoyed EVA an old anime you answered your own question. There is good anime from back then sometimes with different styles and genres we don't see as often now (sci fi and mecha for instance). For that reason it is worth going back and looking because I think the experience can be quite different even just down to how things look from current anime changing the whole feel. As I like variety that is the reason I watch older and newer shows.
Mar 24, 2021 6:57 PM

Feb 2021
I personally tend to like older anime because of how it looks, like Neon Genesis Evangelion for example, has such a beautiful look and art style. it might also have to do with nostalgia.
Mar 24, 2021 7:00 PM

Sep 2014
For the same reason there are good shows coming out today. There were good shows coming out before as well.
Mar 24, 2021 7:01 PM

Apr 2020
This question is like asking why people still listen to old music when good music comes out nowadays, or asking why people watch old movies when good movies come out today. It's important to appreciate media from every era. There's good vintage anime, good modern anime, and there will be good anime in the future.

I wonder if people in the future will think that the anime we watch now is obsolete because there's good anime then
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Mar 24, 2021 7:05 PM

Apr 2020
Nalusa_Falaya said:
Because since all anime is different, There are older shows that have nothing to replace them, Tell me how many shows were able to capture a feeling similar to Bebop's, Or Evangelion's, Also, Different times have different pros and cons, For example older anime were way more experimental with shows, Or maybe some people watch older shows because they like the cel look.

I'd really recommend watching this video by Gigguk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUKiANYyeMM&t=621s&pbjreload=101
It talks about why older anime is liked by many people without the elitist snob-like attitude

Yeah I like this too. There's something about a good vintage anime that just can't be captured with the cleaned up modern anime look that just resonates with me.

Some might say its for the vibes
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Mar 24, 2021 7:05 PM

Sep 2020
That depends on the viewer's generation to which they belong.

◽◽◽

ᓚᘏᗢ

◽◽◽

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Mar 24, 2021 7:06 PM

Jun 2017
as of 2021, if you're an adult and you like an anime that's not conceived before 2004, you're quite literally a pedophile.
Mar 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
Neither is inherently better. Personally, after finally watching stuff like Cowboy Bebop after years of consuming anime, I didn't think it was any better than the 2000's/2010's anime I had seen up to that point.
Mar 24, 2021 7:20 PM
Feb 2021
Personally I enjoy older shows more because they usually have better stories while today's shows rely too much on animation. Also I feel like we are getting way too many isekai/romcom/sol shows these days so if you aren't into these genres you will have a hard time finding something to watch.
Mar 24, 2021 7:25 PM

Apr 2015
Older anime is better because it gives the people who watch an excessive amount it an unearned sense of superiority.
Mar 24, 2021 7:25 PM

Jun 2019
fluffycow17 said:
With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation, why should people watch older anime? People have so much good stuff to watch nowadays that there isn't much incentive to go back, unless it's for nostalgia and history research purposes.

It isn’t about “older anime” vs “newer anime”, there are just some great shows that came out many years back. People should watch great anime no matter when it comes out. There are bonafide classics that have come out in the early 2000s, 90s, and 80s.

Even if there are a lot of good anime coming put nowadays, how many of these shows will be remembered and watched 10 years from now after all the hype dies down and most of the watchers are from a new generation? There are older anime that have already passed that test and remain great decades after they have completed. That is why people shouldn’t rule out older anime.
Mar 24, 2021 8:07 PM
Oct 2020
I won't say that there stands a comparison between old and new anime. Both had their unique way of story telling and a way to stand out among their fans and audiences
Mar 24, 2021 11:24 PM

Nov 2017
I would say the biggest problem with anime today is the lack of original shows and every anime being an advertisement for existing properties although the amount of great anime being made has not changed all that much.
Mar 24, 2021 11:32 PM

Aug 2018
Old anime, as well as newer one.. Both have very nice series.. And eh series.. And stay away from me series.. Just that in case with olds, it's also really some classics people talk about.. Nowadays there are also classics for all kinds of genres.. And lots of anime that are just eh.. Before there was lots of anime like that as well.. Just that noone really talks about them.. But if you'll watch more older series, you'll see all kinds of anime back then - same, as now.. Watch 100 of 90s, 100 of 00s, 100 of 10s, and you'll see.. Majority of people will have watched much more of 00s and 10s.. If you watch actually more of before too - you'll see there are all kinds of anime out there too..
Mar 24, 2021 11:38 PM
May 2019
Older animes are not better than newer ones, Good and bad animes exists in both times.
Mar 25, 2021 12:04 AM

Aug 2017
People say the animation and writing were better. Some people prefer 90s animation over new animation and I don't care since its subjective. Writing was better? Hell no. Several old anime are bad or average at that time. In fact, anime writing quality peaked in 2010-2011.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 25, 2021 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
Some old anime have better animation than most of the stuff coming out today.
I recommend
-anything directed by Hayao Miyazaki
- Cowboy Bebop
- Gurren Laggan
- K-On

Stuff made by people like Hideaki Anno is unique enough that it can never be replicated. The best stuff, allows the audience to look into the mind of the creator. Nobody is exactly the same. So some old stuff can never be replaced.
Mar 25, 2021 12:15 AM

Jun 2016
That would be true if newer anime offered the same experience as older anine but better which they don't. So no it's not just "history research".
And to answer the title question: It's because I like them more.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 25, 2021 12:19 AM

Mar 2021
Older Anime are overrated, people just hate newer Anime for no reason
Mar 25, 2021 12:24 AM

Jan 2021
I tend to enjoy the art/animation/visual aesthetic of newer animes, so I don't watch much old stuff.

Just watch what you want to watch, some people watch ecchi and hentai with shallow characters and plot, but if they enjoy it, good for them.
Ryuk is somewhat relatable

Mar 25, 2021 12:27 AM

Oct 2019
fluffycow17 said:
With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation, why should people watch older anime?

what is this question? if it piques your interest and looks like something you would enjoy, watch it, as simple as that
Mar 25, 2021 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't watched all that much classics, but from what I have seen I can tell that older animes have this aesthetic around them that feels like nothing that's coming today. From the artstyle to the more original concepts, there are some stuff that some people may find and like more frequently than in modern anime. Another thing though is that older animes feel more like art projects and are more experimental and not everyone would like to watch something and then think about it for a few hours after, wondering what the heck they just watched.
Mar 25, 2021 1:03 AM

Nov 2015
*Tell me why older anime is just as much worth watching as newer anime.

Because the older stuff is the reason I'm here to watch the newer stuff. Also, I bet a lot of the creators of your favorite anime grew up watching and were inspired by older anime. Lastly, can you name a recent anime that clearly captures the aesthetic of cel animation?
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Mar 25, 2021 1:03 AM

Feb 2019
Syverly said:
Older Anime are overrated, people just hate newer Anime for no reason

You mean that most of the old anime is underrated

OT: The reason old anime is better because they are unique
Mar 25, 2021 1:08 AM

Apr 2015
Anime and cartoons overall is one of those entertainment mediums that does not suffer from time passing like for example life action movies, shows and those realistic video games.
Mar 25, 2021 1:16 AM

Feb 2019
Syverly said:
Sakuta002766 said:

You mean that most of the old anime is underrated

OT: The reason old anime is better because they are unique

Cowboy bebop and Evangelion are overrated as hell

Fuck this

I personally dislike cowboy bebop and i haven't watched evangelion

But these two aren't the only old anime exist.

There's a lots of great but underrated old anime exist

Example :hell teacher nube, i know that you haven't even heard about it
Mar 25, 2021 1:23 AM

Apr 2017
I pity the fools that can't appreciate older and newer anime, why restrain yourself only to one when both are great.
cunnysseur
Mar 25, 2021 1:25 AM

Oct 2017
SilentVinyl said:
Anime and cartoons overall is one of those entertainment mediums that does not suffer from time passing like for example life action movies, shows and those realistic video games.

Live action films do not suffer from the passing of time. Some of my favourite films were made in the 1950's.
Mar 25, 2021 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
it depends on the type of anime you like.
Mar 25, 2021 2:10 AM

Oct 2016
fluffycow17 said:

this is a very silly question without wanting to offend, according to you only have more anime nowadays and the image and animation quality is better than in the past, means they are better than the old anime, the answer to your question is same as why people listen to old music or watch old movies, because they are good too, if you can't understand the quality of old things, then you have a serious problem and not who can do it.

The wizard of oz (1939) is considered by critics and actors to be one of the best films of all time.
The Beatles (1960-1970) is considered by many to be the best band of all time.

considering that, Why would it be different with animes ?
Henrique-SenpaiMar 25, 2021 2:15 AM
Mar 25, 2021 3:01 AM

Sep 2020
something i like to call bakemonogatari and BGS

BGS author just copy every single aspect of monogatari series,while it has been released since 2009 with s tier animation

and to add salt to injury,the author makes it less fanservice and no pedo references,so that's why everyone love the new(garbage) BGS rather than the og monogatari

Mar 25, 2021 3:15 AM

Mar 2021
I guess there were less fanservice and moe shows which make it better . Despite airing in 1988 LOGH has a score of 9.07 , so that means that there must be something special that you don't see in the shows you watch today . I would even say that its better than 90% of the anime we are getting now . So , NO , we are not getting a lot of good shows .
There were way better shows in the past . Its worth watching even if the animation is outdated , thats how good they are .
shoelacewaxMar 25, 2021 3:35 AM
Mar 25, 2021 3:28 AM

Nov 2016
If this isn't just bait, but how you really feel, then you're beyond help.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 25, 2021 3:32 AM

Jun 2012
Imagine not watching something because it didn't come out post 2010.

What a way to limit yourself to one of the best entertainment mediums on the planet.
Mar 25, 2021 3:37 AM

Oct 2008
It's all about the math.
In the resent 2010s anime quality skyrocketed, but good storie telling took a nosedive.

While in the 2000s anime quality is subjectively low (some people would say). But story telling was, is and will continue to be among the best in the history of this medium of entertainment.
Mar 25, 2021 3:55 AM

Jun 2011
🤔 Depends on the genre. Scifi was better in older anime. Slice of life, BL and Yuri tends to have better newer anime. Some trends were better when they didn’t feel like cash grabs like early 00’s isekai. Sometimes greater censorship killed genre like ecchi. Or market shifts like hentai.

Idk depends and up for opinion.

I tend to love early 00’s anime which has a lot of weirdness. Tropes that never came back. Lotta failed experiments.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 25, 2021 4:04 AM

Feb 2019
It isn't. But neither is new anime better than old anime. And that's all there is to it.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Mar 25, 2021 4:29 AM
Nov 2019
Older because you see where a lot of modern anime drew inspiration such as dragonball to modern shonen and world masterpiece theatre to modern slice of life also the writing was a lot more gritty and realistic with its depictions of onscreen violence and adult subject mattter such as monster logth berzerk ect which is something you still get in modern but rarely as intense
Mar 25, 2021 4:36 AM

Jan 2013
You should watch older anime because some of it is amazing, and the older art styles should be experienced, you'll rarely see something similar today.

This shouldn't even be a question.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 2 hours ago

12 by Sphealz »»
1 minute ago

» Who are your Top 10 Favorite Waifus?

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

31 by Rinrinka »»
32 minutes ago

» Other than rewatching, what can you do when you want to watch the next season of an anime you forgot most of the previous season?

thewiru - 10 hours ago

14 by Catalano »»
44 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

250 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.