Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work! CODE BLACK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2021 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
damn im really digging this new setting, interesting twist on the world of cells. i think its quite cool how the body that the cells are in is like a dystopia. i guess this is what happens to your body when you don't take good care of your health...

the new cell designs - not really sure what you call them, but they're looking pretty nice. i thought that neutrophil looked familiar, and then i realised she kinda looks similar to esdeath from akame ga kill. or is it just me? looks like the platelets are a bit more grown up and kinda funny how in the preview the cells were drinking beer lmao.

also, im not sure if anyone else noticed this but the art style looks a bit different from the original, feel like the quality is a bit lower. but maybe that's to be expected since it's a spinoff. although the ost didnt seem to bad and i assume the opening at the end was great.

nevertheless, i think this spinoff looks pretty promising.
Jan 7, 2021 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
Early streaming @ Funimation:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-19/funimation-streams-cells-at-work-cells-at-work-code-black-the-promised-neverland-sk8-the-infinity-simulcasts-in-january-2021/.167625

NOW THIS, this is truly Osmosis Jones the Anime(ation): a disease-stricken body and the gender swap of Red and White Blood Cells. Everyone else looks more mature now. And it's Liden Films' No. 4 and final production of the season.

If you think that Hataraku Saibou is white and cutesy, Code Black is black, gory and brutal with all the vulgar slang of the unhealthy body, AND IT SHOWS.

We're gonna have a good marathon of both Season 2 (the healthy side) and the spin-off Code Black (the unhealthy side) this Winter season! Edutainment has never been this stacked, while being great.

Smoking, stress, you name it, this dirty body has it. It's gonna be the same-but-different experience than the main show.

Liden Films, survive well, because you got 4 shows this season to contend with a production work cramp.
Jan 7, 2021 10:07 AM

Nov 2016
Hoped the tone would be darker, but fair enough, makes sense to call this Black. Looking forward to with what kind of conditions the Cells will have to deal with in this spin-off.

Hypochondriacs should probably better stay away xD

Edit: If this is really the body of an office worker or even some fat ugly baststard high up then then he might throw in stimulating drugs or some pill for the D. If it's just a normal office slave then maybe something for better performance at work or at least overdose of coffein.
FMmatronJan 8, 2021 4:55 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2021 10:10 AM

Jul 2017
Great presentation right off the bats for the new wave of RBCs, a shocking CO spill incident that corrupt a bunch of RBCs and invited some antagonist bacteria, glad there's also a WBC as strong as in the main series.

We got to see an amazing sacrifical act from a respectful veteran mentor-RBC-senpai, our protag RBC will learn from him and be stronger.

Amazing first eps, I believe this will also live to our expectations like the main series, just with a darker tone.
Jan 7, 2021 10:17 AM

Oct 2017
Hakkekkyuu female version voiced by none other than Yoko Hikasaka, Waifu detected.

Also since this is black version of the original story I'm expecting some dark and nasty stuff, hope it won't dissapoint.

The first episode already showed us quite dark and depressing stuff. The effect of smoking and consuming alcohol. Damn the insides are so nasty and this dude's condition isn't well at all. Sekkekkyuu got a dose of reality already, thou I kinda like this guy. He ain't much of an wimp but not brave either. Also gotta love Hakkekkyuu, she's so hot and badass.

Good start so far and this has potential to become greater than the original.
MegamiRemJan 7, 2021 9:55 PM
Jan 7, 2021 10:17 AM
Dec 2017
FMmatron said:
Hoped the tone would be darker, but fair enough, makes sense to call this Black.

Well this is only the beginning, now alcohol and everything else will pile up.
Jan 7, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2019
Red blood cells working in a black company... or should I say black body. Terrible world they live in... or should I say terrible world they live in. Seems the gender roles are reversed. Female hakkekkyuu, not complaining at all.

So the owner of this body is a pretty heavy drinker, possibly depressed, very stressed and sleep deprived. I'll need to get more sleep so my cells can take it more easy.

Jan 7, 2021 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
I find the Black series better than the other one, even if I also did wish the tone was darker like how those people would be when consuming shit like alcohol too often or smoking too often.
Jan 7, 2021 10:22 AM
Sep 2015
This is mindblowing! It has so much impact on me, I'll start running next week.

BTW the soundtrack is very epic, should turn the music volume up in the mixing process.
Jan 7, 2021 10:23 AM

Apr 2019
MegamiRem said:
White blood cell female version voiced by none other than Yoko Hikasaka, Waifu detected.

Also since this is black version of the original story I'm expecting some dark and nasty stuff, hope it won't dissapoint.
dark hataraku saibou has the potential to be more interesting than normal hataraku saibou.

Jan 7, 2021 10:24 AM

Nov 2016
Sondfer said:
FMmatron said:
Hoped the tone would be darker, but fair enough, makes sense to call this Black.

Well this is only the beginning, now alcohol and everything else will pile up.

Abusing P.E.D/steroids would be nice as well xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2021 10:24 AM

Apr 2019
phantomfandom said:

BTW the soundtrack is very epic, should turn the music volume up in the mixing process.
Yes! Keep running so that you cells don't have to work in a BLACK body.

Jan 7, 2021 10:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm so it's the "hardcore" version of Hataraku Saibou, pretty good first episode, but this body is really destroyed, he/she needs to quit smoking xD
Jan 7, 2021 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
this was pretty good. gonna be interesting to watch how different a body that doesnt take care of itself how bad it gets.
Jan 7, 2021 10:42 AM

Jul 2020
Great first ep. I dropped the original series because it felt a bit too trivial and inconsequential. But this Black spinoff feels like it has real stakes, and prods at very real issues like the culture of overworking and the dangers of abusing your body.

Will definitely follow this one.
halcyonparadeJan 7, 2021 10:46 AM
Jan 7, 2021 10:46 AM

Mar 2020
That video they were presenting was misleading for the rookies. Even if the cell characters are fiction, I want to take care of my body more to help them. Also the white blood cell is kind of hot.
kioalneJan 7, 2021 11:01 AM
Jan 7, 2021 10:51 AM
May 2019
Wow this show is just too awesome. I'm a medical student and I felt at home while watching it. All of my concepts have been revised.
Jan 7, 2021 10:56 AM

Mar 2019
Ara ara...bacteria got all ara ara-ed.

So this is basically the other opposite from a good body...smoking, drinking all that stuff destroy your body...well time for some alc now hehe
Jan 7, 2021 11:00 AM

Sep 2019
Maybe I shouldn't have watched this right after Hataraku Saibou, I like the wholesome setting more. The white blood cell was hot.
Jan 7, 2021 11:06 AM

Jan 2015
Was the guy at the end (who wakes up) the real body?
Jan 7, 2021 11:06 AM

Jul 2017
Holy fuck that contrast between this one and the og cells at work lmao, damn this dark turn was interesting. Now I'm gonna start taking even more care of my body ;P

But I really do enjoy this series, mostly for its presentation of informational content. The og one was pretty accurate according to some doctors, and based on my knowledge about heme and binding affinities, this one seems to be pretty accurate as well. Defo looking forward to learning more

begija said:
Was the guy at the end (who wakes up) the real body?

I think that's just the red blood cell MC. he has the red jacket hanged up beside him
Jan 7, 2021 11:10 AM
Jun 2020
This episode was basically throwing a new recruit into a battlefield. It's dark and gory so if you expected something like Cells at Work! you are far from it. I personally enjoyed watching how the blood cells dealt with problems like smoking and what happened to the body it was really interesting. Despite the blood and gore lol.
On the other hand, the ending was pretty cool. Had a nice bop to it.
Jan 7, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2017
Black will definitely push people to take care of their bodies well more than the OG series, LIDENFILM's doing a great job so far with the introduction

I knew the OP animation felt too "cheery", the twist at the end of it still hurt
Jan 7, 2021 11:43 AM
Sep 2019
This is nothing like 1-2 season of Cells at Work. It's really different. Everyone is serious, platelets are not cute anymore. To think something like this happening in my body because of lack of sleep and stress. Looks like I'll start taking care of my body from now on.
Jan 7, 2021 11:49 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that was dark! Especially compared to light OG series. No wonder why it's got the "Black" tag in the title.

I should probably take this opportunity to apologise to the cells working in my body. That's literally the first thought that came to me midway into the episode. 4 am now and I just had a chocolate bar before this episode.

Rip, senpai. Your bravery is nothing short of commendable. The moment when he started laughing hysterically, that really hurt.

Switched roles for the Red Blood Cells and White Blood Cells definitely working better here, I reckon. Platelets in such a rush and coming out rude as a result sure was a surprise. The stark contrast of what followed in the OG series earlier today...

Anyway, this is another solid start! Op seems pretty good too and a tad bit cheerful so I wonder if this episode is just a little more harsh than what's to follow after this. By the way, that lad in the end. Totally the human, lol. Too frantic to suggest otherwise.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 7, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 2019
Didn't expect to like this so much, can't wait for the next coming episodes
Jan 7, 2021 12:01 PM

May 2020
I really like this version better, but kind of expecting something darker, but well since it's the first ep, it's a good start. Can't wait for the next ep!
Jan 7, 2021 12:02 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a gender shift of cells huh. 2153 looks to be quite the diligent one. But still being forced into the deep end without any source of positivity from their seniors sure sucked. But whoever owns the body that they work in really hasn't been taking care of it. The new narrator's voice also adds a little bite to the knowledge intro as well. u-1196 sure made a timely and dramatic entrance to the field. Harsh as the sempai's words was he was actually right. In an environment such as this where death is always a possibility focusing on the job is the best course of action. But man Sempai was brave to the very end. Laughing in the face of death truly was inspirational. To think that smoking will cause that much damage to one's body and cells though. Overall an interesting ep that presented a much darker feel to the series that contrasts it well with the base series. Curious on whether 2153 and 1196 will be able to develop the same kind of bond that the base pair has though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2021 12:15 PM

Jul 2015
Damn, that White Blood Cell.
Just step on me already!

Jan 7, 2021 12:34 PM
Jun 2016
gintokisbicep said:
listen i know this is most likely just to stop people from smoking and being unhealthy and all that shit but all i'm thinking of how anti-capitalist this is.

What makes you think that? Kinda curious ngl
Jan 7, 2021 12:43 PM

Jun 2013
I think it's pretty clever that they were using an animation style reminiscent of the 90s in the training video to allude to how out of date it was.

Also, the irony of a black company worker's body becoming a black company for the cells is on point.
Jan 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Nov 2014
phantomfandom said:

Same, I am going to get some exercise for my out of shape body that is probably suffering
Just another seasonal anime fan
Jan 7, 2021 12:58 PM
Jan 2021
HELL YES. I was worried how this would be handled but this was a great opener. Definitely one of the best of the season so far.
Jan 7, 2021 12:58 PM

Jun 2020
Give me Tsuda Kenjiro narrating and a boss babe with booooobies and I already love this more than Hataraku Saibou lmaooo
This anime shit is addictive
Jan 7, 2021 1:05 PM

Mar 2016
I just watched episode 1 of the main series' second season, and this was so different from it that it was funny in its own way.

The platelets weren't cute at all. lol

I like that we are now following a guy. He's kind of attractive.

The owner of this anime's body must be extremely unhealthy. The blood vessels were so dirty!

I didn't know nicotine attached to haemoglobins. That was actually scary to learn. (Edit: I remembered the info incorrectly. Apparently, it's CO that attaches to haemoglobins. I'm an idiot. lol)

It's only episode 1, and I already want to take care of my health.
FuMomo-kunJan 8, 2021 10:57 AM
Jan 7, 2021 1:10 PM

May 2018
If the main series is like a disaster movie, this here is a strait out horror.
Along with the representation of cellular level processes Code Black can be considered also a political caricature...and if we skip some typical japanese references (like keeping on the smile) it works for any system.
alshuJan 7, 2021 1:33 PM
Jan 7, 2021 1:16 PM

Sep 2020
This is going to be a modern masterpiece.

Also white blood cell has huge titties.

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jan 7, 2021 1:47 PM

Jun 2017
I love how this airs back to back with the healthy body one. It will make a nice contrast during the season plus it's gender swapped to spice it up.

So basically poor rookies got bamboozled with an old video. Those gangster platelets were really something. lol
Jan 7, 2021 1:47 PM

Aug 2015
I really like how different this is to the other one. The dark atmosphere and setting is awesome.

Looking forward to more!
#FreePalestine 🇵🇸
Jan 7, 2021 1:49 PM
Apr 2017
Men i knew that black was more mature / serious , but i wasn"t expecting this.
I'm totally hooked up !!
Jan 7, 2021 1:50 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Wow. I'm really glad I quit smoking a few years ago. Lol. I have a feeling this is going to be depressing...

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Jan 7, 2021 1:51 PM

May 2015
Original Cells at Work made people ship their cells, Black is gonna make people have the hots for them.

This and the original S2 airing one after the other is pretty funny. It's nice to see things go down in a body that isn't being looked after, compared to the healthy person of the original. I don't smoke and I rarely ever drink alcohol yet even I feel like I need to put in more work to look after my body after watching this lmao.

♡ artist
サコ
Jan 7, 2021 2:01 PM

Jul 2015
I liked this one more than the original. Looking forward to watch the next episodes.
Jan 7, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2018
The White Cell is hot in this anime. Being healthy = caring for your waifu.
Jan 7, 2021 2:06 PM

Oct 2014
Don't smoke cigarettes kids. They taste horrible, they're addicting, and they'll painfully kill your anthropomorphized red blood cells.

What a horrifying episode. Watching this right after Cells at Work!! gave me major whiplash, which made it even scarier. It was like a PSA rather than just an edutainment. I wonder what the endgame will be. The body will probably die, but does that mean the Red & White blood cells will die with it? Hopefully, they'll get donated or something.

Really good start overall, my only concern is the art quality.
Jan 7, 2021 2:10 PM
Aug 2020
I really loved the vibe this episode gave off and I hope it continues in the series. It’s not necessarily just darker, it’s almost this dystopia where at ‘school’ they’re sold this lovely, idlic place to work that’s chill and you get breaks and it’s not that hard, only to be thrown into chaos which is far from what they were promised. In a way it kind of reminds me of that period of life between being a kid and an adult where you realize the real world isn’t this perfect place you believed it to be and there’s all these dark and gross and bad things happening that you kind of just have to live through and still crack on and do your job as best you can. Especially with the main red blood cell being so hard-working and sincere and innocent before being thrown in, realizing that the world has these darker things like smoking and alcohol can be a shock and the fact that they’re showing that in the context of the body, that’s it’s not all shiny and nice as it is in the main series if you don’t treat it right, it’s definitely a wake up call. Can’t wait for more.
Jan 7, 2021 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
They actually expanded the first chapter of the manga to cover a whole episode, I liked that. The neutrophils are pretty hot

This episode made me glad I don't smoke, the death of the bald senpai red blood cell was pretty depressing. Our cells don't deserve to pass through something that horrifying.

Watching this after watching the first episode of the main series's second season was such a contrast...
Jan 7, 2021 2:14 PM

Sep 2013
This is so depressing its like a Kaiji version of the more joyful main anime,endless despair and tired characters,going to be a fun ride (yay)
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 7, 2021 2:15 PM

Mar 2016
It’s basically the same premises as the parent story but given a slight Dorohedoro-like sense of crudeness and dreariness. Part of me wants to believe MAPPA animates this. The art quality choice is likely intentionally implemented, but it lacks a genuine depth in terms of soul and identity. Feels like a dark shounen with some feeling of “wanting to find that light at the end of the tunnel” bit.

Heavily prefer this over s2 of the OG, which seems very lacking in charm now.
Jan 7, 2021 2:16 PM

Jul 2020
If there is one thing this show has taught me already, it is to NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE smoke a single cigarette. I could never subject my blood cells to the pain that they suffered through in this episode. Overall great start to this new spinoff!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 18, 2021

160 by Beguni »»
May 27, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 28, 2021

68 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 19, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Do you love your body?

Shizuna - Apr 8

7 by johnythepvpgod »»
Apr 12, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2021

110 by Penguinu »»
Jan 12, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 4, 2021

68 by Distrekzy »»
Sep 27, 2023 7:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.