Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 7:32 AM

Feb 2024
We used to have strong, well-built, action oriented characters like Ryou Saeba, Golgo, Cobra and Kenshiro. Nowadays we are stuck with cute girls, whiny battle shonen MCs and self-insert isekai characters.

Do you also miss manime?
May 27, 7:46 AM

Oct 2010
chainsaw man exists and undead unluck recently aired, bleach will air this year so yeah
May 27, 7:47 AM

Apr 2015
There were always cute girls, and there are still shows with buff dudes like Jojo that gets new seasons every now and then.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 27, 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
80s action flicks ain't in fashion anymore.
May 27, 8:06 AM

Sep 2016
JoeChip said:
Do you also miss manime?

nty, I want more girls instead, way better.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 27, 8:07 AM

May 2020
Yes I do miss it. I want to see an all male cast anime, where men do manly things like punch someone through the phone, or stop an earthquake with a punch to the ground, and then finally in the last episode Kenshiro will remind us that crying is the manliest thing of all... at least if you are the most jacked lifeform on the planet.

At least we still have Baki.
May 27, 9:07 AM

Feb 2016
JoeChip said:
We used to have strong, well-built, action oriented characters like Ryou Saeba, Golgo, Cobra and Kenshiro. Nowadays we are stuck with cute girls, whiny battle shonen MCs and self-insert isekai characters.

I'm not interested in any of those kinds of characters except the girls.
その目だれの目?
May 27, 9:18 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you also miss manime?"

Hmm, not really.
May 27, 9:26 AM

Oct 2013
"Mananime"....As a man, I feel embarrassed of terms like this. Not everything has to be manly. If you miss it so badly, you can just watch older action movies or something. There are other places to get your stereotypical roided up manly men fix.
May 27, 9:39 AM

Jul 2021
There's indeed a huge lack of manliness in anime, or rather in modern culture in general.
May 27, 9:41 AM

Mar 2021
JoeChip said:

Do you also miss manime?

You are cherry picking franchises that were popular over the span of well beyond a range of two decades starting from the 80s and even in the late 2000s some of them were still lingering.

Modern Anime has changed but if you just look at just the last few years from the late 2010s you still got some "Manime" being produced if you actually look for it.

While some of the titles might not be particularly to your liking, I can list a few just off the top of my head from "Goblin Slayer" to "Super Crooks", "Golden Kamuy" to "Vinland Saga", and even more recent "Ninja Kamui".

Of course modern titles aren't going to have the same retro appeal and usually lack the gritty feeling you get when watching fully analog Anime produced with hand drawn Cels but there is plenty of "Manime" being produced these days if one goes about cherry picking the same way you have.

I could only imagine how awesome it would be if all the titles I listed above were all produced fully animated with analog Cels and in full screen 4:3 ratio aspect like they use to do all the time in the 80s. That would just blow my mind.

But it's really hard to miss Anime if you actually own it on Official physical copies. Besides City Hunter, I own most of all the Other franchises you have mentioned on physical copies on VHS to Blu-ray.
ColourWheelMay 27, 6:48 PM
May 27, 9:53 AM

Sep 2015
Watch Jojo you'll be satisfied

May 27, 10:23 AM

Oct 2019
You're right that they are less common now, but they exist if you look for them:

Baki is probably the malyest show to ever manly, it has manly-ed so hard ever other manly show feels un-manly in comparison.

We also have kengun ashura which funnily enough is getting a collab with baki soon, undead unluck, Megalo box, Goblin slayer, the new slam dunk movie, Bastard, most of jojo and so on.

Now is it true that most of these are based on much older sources? yes

But they are still getting made, so there is clearly still an audience for it.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 27, 10:31 AM

Dec 2020
Do I "miss" it?

No because they never really appealed to me in the first place.
May 27, 10:48 AM

Apr 2020
Yeah I like these types of animes. The moe anime-y sao type of art style that’s been everywhere recently it rlly nauseating but that’s just imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 10:50 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Catalano
chainsaw man exists and undead unluck recently aired, bleach will air this year so yeah
@Catalano

Who in chainsaw man is well built? I like csm but everyone’s a stick. We’re talking like muscular big people
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 11:00 AM
Nov 2022
Garouden is a recent anime that came out which Id consider manime, especially the main character.
May 27, 11:31 AM

Aug 2017
"We used to have", who? Many people have no idea of such Anime you mentioned.

Cute girls always were a thing (mahou shoujo, romance series) in Old Anime.

Whiny Battle shounen MCs? In Old Anime. Goku is a whiny battle MC yet you never mentioned him.

Self-insert? You act like Ryou Saeba, Golgo, Cobra and Kenshiro weren't self-insert themselves in the first place lol.

What's wrong with isekai? You never complained how mecha used to have the same popularity as Isekai from 1963 to 1999?

Edit: Golgo is ugly.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 27, 12:10 PM

May 2024
𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘫𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘪𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘦𝘷𝘰𝘭𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘴. 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘪𝘨𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘶𝘴𝘩 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘸𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘶𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦. 𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘩, 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵.
May 27, 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos

Hmm, not really.
Serafos said:

Hmm, not really.

Same here as I'm more neutral on this.
May 27, 1:24 PM

Nov 2008
-Limited Market and distribution in Japan: Many are too violent for JP television, you basically have to market it to the West to make a profit where violence can air on Pay TV and streaming

-Industry Talent: It is 99% otaku from the lowly in betweener to the directors, mangaka, and other creators; and most want moe, lolis, bishies, etc.

-Softer fanbase (Manime has lots of graphic death, and audiences no longer want that)

-Semi-Limited Merchandising: While manly figures are and will still exist, figures of moe characters sell far better in Japan and you can sell more to a wider audience even from fanservicey series.

May 27, 1:34 PM

May 2021
im not familiar with old anime, but I certainly do wish there are more mananime like Baki.
May 27, 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
I definitely prefer characters who aren't very good at fighting, and refute strongly the idea this makes them less "man". "The problem was solved by the protagonist's skill at inflicting pain and death" is a crappy kind of plot resolution.
May 27, 3:16 PM
Jan 2019
Reply to JaniSIr
There's indeed a huge lack of manliness in anime, or rather in modern culture in general.
@JaniSIr well someone hasn't been on the right side of twitter lol
May 27, 3:21 PM

May 2018
Wait, those yakuza thugs in The Fable aren't considered manly?

Catalano said:

Catalano-kun, what's with the botched examples?
CSM is the cringiest emo teen power fantasy in recent memory, also Undead Unluck and Bleach are literally battle shounen. No matter how "manly" those try to pose as, they come as noting more than the cliche adolescent wet dream "One of those days I will man up and will have my sweet sweet on my bullies.".
May 27, 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Manime will be revived once Steel Ball Run anime drops.
May 27, 3:25 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Nutella71
@JaniSIr well someone hasn't been on the right side of twitter lol
@Nutella71 Of course I wasn't, I basically consider the "t word" swearing.
May 27, 4:10 PM
May 2024
What the hell is manime even? Your terms and conditions are broad. Imagine not enjoying cute girls :P.
I'm not seriously arguing with you, I just find this confusing

May 27, 4:16 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to NotActuallyReal
What the hell is manime even? Your terms and conditions are broad. Imagine not enjoying cute girls :P.
I'm not seriously arguing with you, I just find this confusing
@NotActuallyReal

i think they mean anime where the characters are focused on getting stronger and building up their skills naturally and kinda badass instead of horny twigs with magical powers that are usually in isekai lately.
May 27, 4:19 PM
May 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@NotActuallyReal

i think they mean anime where the characters are focused on getting stronger and building up their skills naturally and kinda badass instead of horny twigs with magical powers that are usually in isekai lately.
@Kenzolo-folk

I see, thank you! I feel like it's kinda just the rising trends and different types of power fantasys going to the wayside. I feel like people might have their preferences, but I assume the MCs being so-called "Twigs with magical powers" makes it slightly easier to project onto. Also I'm not sure they've stopped particularly existing. IDK. Still think it's weird to slander cute girls tho lol!

May 27, 5:00 PM

Aug 2017
@animegamer245 Whiny = habitually complaining. Goku is just a whiny MC who want to fight strong opponents no matter if he puts many lives in danger. He's an awful MC. Also since when a character crying is being whiny? That isn't being whiny.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 27, 5:46 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zimmu
im not familiar with old anime, but I certainly do wish there are more mananime like Baki.
@Zimmu The thing is, shows like that are usually adapted from older source material, back when big and manly characters were more popular. Stuff like Kengan Ashura is kinda just an outlier. An occasional nod back to those days.

I think Jojo is a pretty good example of how that died down over time. Yeah, the characters are still kinda muscular, but they're nowhere near as beefy as they were in the earlier parts. From what I remember, peak beef was in pt3, then after that they started getting toned down.
May 27, 5:54 PM
Oct 2023
dude rolled in here with the take that there's too many cute girls on an anime site. Bold move, I admire it.
May 27, 5:55 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Sadly the "improve yourself and become a badass" power fantasy has been replaced with "you're already the best, just go to a world where everyone agrees" of modern day isekai. It is what it is.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 27, 6:06 PM
Dec 2022
In case of missing it, not really, though I used to be into them back when I was a teenager with stuff like M.D Geist, Hokuto no Ken, and for some god forsaken reason, Violence Jack.

Tastes just change over time, hence why we got protags of all different types of personalities now.
May 27, 6:10 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to BatoKusanagi
Sadly the "improve yourself and become a badass" power fantasy has been replaced with "you're already the best, just go to a world where everyone agrees" of modern day isekai. It is what it is.
@BatoKusanagi It hasn't been replaced, it's been altered. There are still examples of characters being forced to adapt and improve themselves, even within the over-crowed isekai market. They just aren't all big jacked guys who rarely show emotion anymore.
May 27, 6:28 PM

May 2018
"manime" got a genuine laugh out of me, thanks for cheering me up
can't yuck my yum

May 27, 6:40 PM

Sep 2014
Thanks.

I'm not super interested in watching grown men sweating and moaning.
May 27, 6:43 PM
SuperEdgeLordGod

Feb 2014
Yes, because I did grow up in the 80s!
“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
May 27, 6:45 PM
Oct 2023
i dont, most of them are 1-dimentional
May 27, 7:30 PM

Jul 2021
Nah, I've always been here for the gays :v

More topics from this board

» How well do your tastes mesh with your friends who also love anime?

RobertBobert - 31 minutes ago

2 by SimplyBrazen »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » is it wrong to enjoy an ecchi/isekai animanga? is it wrong to like objectively bad shows?

FruitPunchBaka - Mar 26, 2023

30 by Guilmon1 »»
5 minutes ago

» Which character do you identify with the most?

tahikiry - 2 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 3 hours ago

18 by DigiCat »»
11 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 6 hours ago

19 by Sheepgrl »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.