Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2023 2:52 PM

Apr 2015
Gesicht erased past revealed! It seems he really killed that man.
And because of that he might be similar to Pluto, with hate inside him. But he still have his mission.

Dr. Tenma is trying to wake up Joh- Atom. Nice to see some of his flashbacks, he created the most modern robot, but can't replace his dead son.

Oct 26, 2023 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
Was wondering when the Teddy Bear would make an appearance
Oct 26, 2023 6:14 PM
Aug 2020
i can't stop to enjoy this beautiful story
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 26, 2023 11:53 PM

Apr 2022
adolf's wife is real af. and with hercules, that's another one down.
Oct 27, 2023 2:36 PM

Mar 2019
Gesicht demonstrating that he understands what it's like to feel hate; Uran demonstrating that he has a heart bigger than all of us and Atom being able to become a "monster".
God, what an insane episode!!
Oct 27, 2023 4:34 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Uran is great. Feeling the saddest she has ever felt brings her another step closer to understanding the sadness of living creatures. So, not wanting others to feel the same way, she starts marathoning all of the sidequests to cheer everyone up.

Also, not that it matters, but the Teddy Bear design looks really strange. Particularly, in the close ups. It looks more like a dog or a wolf.
Oct 28, 2023 11:30 AM

Sep 2020
The stake is always soo high their isn't a single dull moment.
Oct 29, 2023 12:33 AM

May 2020
Love the show, but the Iraq War analog takes me out of the immersion way too often.

For half of it, they present it very realistic & similar to actual events. But then when showing "Persia" & Darius, the comparison does a complete 180. Are we really going to present the Saddam Hussein stand-in as an innocent, progressive leader ruling over a prosperous & "cultured" society? Seems odd that within the show he's still known as a "dictator," even though everything they've shown to this point has shown him as a victim.

You might ask what's the big deal, but how do you think people would feel if they saw a fictional show presenting a 1:1 World War 2 happening in their world, and Hitler/Nazis were presented as innocent victims of a peaceful, progressive society? It feels gross.

Even the "fact finding mission" seems weird. I have no issues with its existence in the show or the way in which it ties into the war, but when it goes to Saddam... I mean "Darius" talking about it, it suddenly damages the analogy again. Iraq had UN weapons inspectors in the country for years, then abruptly kicked them out & refused to allow future inspections. And this was after chemical weapons were already used on its own population, under orders from Saddam, so the history of atrocities was already there.

If the show wanted to go this route, they could've still made it all work. Darius should've already been a known tyrant that used weapons of mass destruction to kill tens of thousands of his own people/robots, which then lead to its pariah state status. Countries would then set out to justify toppling the regime permanently, rather than continue to let him stay in power, and worked to develop robots of mass destruction that could do the job for them. By the time those robots were completed, it had been years since the last incident in Persia, but that didn't stop the United States of Thracia from trying to convince others Darius needed to go.

They sent out the fact finding mission, but only found the robot graveyard without any context. Leaders in charge then decided to fill in the gaps & tell the world it was more of Darius's atrocities (which was believable, as there was an existing history of this happening before), and declared war. Then all the exact same events seen in the show could happen, and nothing would conflict with the comparison.

The war was still based on speculation & misinformation, the horrors of war still create resentment & desire for revenge, and everything else plays out the exact same way. Only this time you don't present Saddam Hussein, a crazy dictator who gassed tens of thousands of people, as a formerly peaceful & progressive leader of a prosperous country.
“No, you can’t have a show where everybody’s Krillin!” – Shinpachi
Oct 29, 2023 3:12 AM

Oct 2013
Another super advanced robot has fallen...

Ah, so Atom actually can be revived. How surprising. Welp, it was something to expect, but still I'm a little disappointed, knowing that the bold element from the previous episode has become irrelevant, since one of the franchise's star indeed is protected by the plot armor. ;p Still, I appreciate that it is not something easy.

While waking up Atom might be problematic by default, dealing with him after awakening can be disastrous. All because of what was said about the impulse needed to make his cyber brain wake up and the consequences of it occuring.

Very nice episode. Another good one, hehe.
Oct 29, 2023 9:59 AM

Nov 2020
This just keeps getting better, Tenma is very interesting
smoke dat weed get high as shit
Oct 29, 2023 10:16 AM
Sep 2019
Reply to THE_BigDingus
Love the show, but the Iraq War analog takes me out of the immersion way too often.

For half of it, they present it very realistic & similar to actual events. But then when showing "Persia" & Darius, the comparison does a complete 180. Are we really going to present the Saddam Hussein stand-in as an innocent, progressive leader ruling over a prosperous & "cultured" society? Seems odd that within the show he's still known as a "dictator," even though everything they've shown to this point has shown him as a victim.

You might ask what's the big deal, but how do you think people would feel if they saw a fictional show presenting a 1:1 World War 2 happening in their world, and Hitler/Nazis were presented as innocent victims of a peaceful, progressive society? It feels gross.

Even the "fact finding mission" seems weird. I have no issues with its existence in the show or the way in which it ties into the war, but when it goes to Saddam... I mean "Darius" talking about it, it suddenly damages the analogy again. Iraq had UN weapons inspectors in the country for years, then abruptly kicked them out & refused to allow future inspections. And this was after chemical weapons were already used on its own population, under orders from Saddam, so the history of atrocities was already there.

If the show wanted to go this route, they could've still made it all work. Darius should've already been a known tyrant that used weapons of mass destruction to kill tens of thousands of his own people/robots, which then lead to its pariah state status. Countries would then set out to justify toppling the regime permanently, rather than continue to let him stay in power, and worked to develop robots of mass destruction that could do the job for them. By the time those robots were completed, it had been years since the last incident in Persia, but that didn't stop the United States of Thracia from trying to convince others Darius needed to go.

They sent out the fact finding mission, but only found the robot graveyard without any context. Leaders in charge then decided to fill in the gaps & tell the world it was more of Darius's atrocities (which was believable, as there was an existing history of this happening before), and declared war. Then all the exact same events seen in the show could happen, and nothing would conflict with the comparison.

The war was still based on speculation & misinformation, the horrors of war still create resentment & desire for revenge, and everything else plays out the exact same way. Only this time you don't present Saddam Hussein, a crazy dictator who gassed tens of thousands of people, as a formerly peaceful & progressive leader of a prosperous country.
@THE_BigDingus without engaging too much into political discussion but the show doesn't present Darius and those associated with them (Bora etc) in a positive light. Their quest for vengeance is part of the show's themes that hatred based on vengeance or retaliation leads only to more death and hatred

I'm not sure if the show ever presents Darius as a progressive leader?
Oct 29, 2023 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
how many times they gonna say the word hate lol

but ye rip hercules

atom is gonna be revive since tenma added the emotion of suffering and hate to atom now so he could be a monster too like pluto

tenma said that negative emotions like hate and suffering is needed for evolution and to make perfect artificial intelligence
Oct 29, 2023 3:40 PM
Apr 2021
The dialogue is kinda dry but maybe it’s because I’ve binged 5 episodes in a row. The characters keep dancing around big issues they know exist. So frustrating and so good.
Oct 29, 2023 3:53 PM
Aug 2021
Adnash said:

Ah, so Atom actually can be revived. How surprising. Welp, it was something to expect, but still I'm a little disappointed, knowing that the bold element from the previous episode has become irrelevant, since one of the franchise's star indeed is protected by the plot armor. ;p Still, I appreciate that it is not something easy.

While waking up Atom might be problematic by default, dealing with him after awakening can be disastrous. All because of what was said about the impulse needed to make his cyber brain wake up and the consequences of it occuring.

I mean to be fair this is a re-telling of an arc from Astro Boy so unless the mangaka decided to completely diverge from the original story, regardless of what he may have wanted (if his preference was to actually keep Atom dead), he had to stick with Atom ending up alive.
Oct 31, 2023 12:52 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to kakashis_sidehoe
Adnash said:

I mean to be fair this is a re-telling of an arc from Astro Boy so unless the mangaka decided to completely diverge from the original story, regardless of what he may have wanted (if his preference was to actually keep Atom dead), he had to stick with Atom ending up alive.
@kakashis_sidehoe Yeah, I know. I was nitpicking a little, especially when knowing that Pluto is - just as you said - a mature retelling of one story arc from Astro Boy (which, on the contrary, wasn't "a typical seinen story"). It'd be weird to see its main star, Atom, die and not return, just like this, haha. At least, according to what was said in the episode, it won't be an easy task.
Nov 1, 2023 5:08 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Gisecht's guilt is really eating at his brain circuits.
Nov 1, 2023 1:49 PM

Oct 2019
By now I strongly suspect Gesicht is Pluto. As far as I recall the two were never at the same place at the same time.

And Sadam Husein's "I'm sure you already know" line also pointed toward Gesicht. Is he the "perfect robot" Dr Tenma built?
Nov 3, 2023 4:28 PM

Feb 2012
Gesitcht visits the only other robot murderer the world knows, they are one and the same. He learnt what Adolf's job was last episode and discovered the security footage of King Darius. His brother also worked with security systems and was the culprit behind the robot child kidnappings/murderers. In disgust and hate, Gesicht bypassed regulations and killed him; seeing Adolf wrecking the cleaning robot that relayed a threat from that cult brought back those feelings.

As I thought, Tenma's frustration is that Atom is not his son Tobio but "a perfect" son who cleans his own room, studies and likes his dad's cooking, but doing the opposite won't mean a thing.

So I was close, the perfect AI for Tenma is AI that could simulate all possible human personalities (one for each member of the human population of his world), be it a good person, a lazy person, a murderer... bringing back Atom can be done but risks him being like "that" robot.

Persia somehow gained the Tenma chip to make Pluto and Gesicht is exhibiting the behaviour Tenma was speaking of. Did Europol get black market parts to build their police robot?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 6, 2023 10:23 AM

Mar 2012
Almost had me for a second, good to see Astro Boy isn't actually dead. Shame about Hercules though.

I'm guessing that Gesicht and Helena had adopted a robot child which ended up getting kidnapped and killed by Adolf's brother. That would explain why Gesicht's demeanor completely changed after getting a call from her and why he ended up feeling hatred which led to him killing the brother. That bag with the dead robot chilled that was tossed at him must've been his kid...
Nov 6, 2023 10:25 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The mystery even is more deep!!!
Well, action in this episode, but the best was the Gesitch´s flasbacks and the "hate"!!!!
kekeke
Nov 12, 2023 12:36 AM

Jun 2020
RIP Hercules I thought he was cool. Some very nice revelations and action this episode, the biggest one imo is that Adolf’s brother killed Gesicht’s son, yeah that would make me kill a human too. It seems that the robots are slowly but surely learning human emotions, the most one prominent to come out being “hatred”.

The worldbuilding was also very cool, with the United States being behind on robot-making and also there being cyber nets to stop bridge jumpers.

Nov 12, 2023 11:53 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to THE_BigDingus

@THE_BigDingus the hell are you on about Darius was clearly lying. Not once is Darius potrayed as good he is clearly evil. A little history would show you the reason Isil sprung up and all this instability was because America and her allies removed the only man keeping those groups in check. It's a bit like the Hitler Baby Time Travel Murder paradox. The hypothetical that you go back in time and kill baby Hitler but then you bring about a German man that is somehow 10x more evil than Hitler. Unlike a Hydra you unleash a monster even worse than the one you just killed. A Russian doll if you will. With that being said the main theme in this story involves the radicalization of people after you drone strike their families out of existence what do you think happens to men who have their mothers, fathers, wives taken from them by an American drone strike what do you think people with nothing to lose and focus solely on revenge. What do you think they become. Exactly like Abullah, a radical.
TarikKabirNov 13, 2023 11:32 PM
Nov 12, 2023 11:55 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Dumb
RIP Hercules I thought he was cool. Some very nice revelations and action this episode, the biggest one imo is that Adolf’s brother killed Gesicht’s son, yeah that would make me kill a human too. It seems that the robots are slowly but surely learning human emotions, the most one prominent to come out being “hatred”.

The worldbuilding was also very cool, with the United States being behind on robot-making and also there being cyber nets to stop bridge jumpers.
@Jailed What makes this more fucked up is that the robots here are advanced enough to have a subconcious and emotions. So it's a bit like slaughtering the babies of Neanthedrals incredibly evil.
Nov 13, 2023 9:30 AM

May 2021
Reply to Sharpedon
By now I strongly suspect Gesicht is Pluto. As far as I recall the two were never at the same place at the same time.

And Sadam Husein's "I'm sure you already know" line also pointed toward Gesicht. Is he the "perfect robot" Dr Tenma built?
@Sharpedon
He wasn't present with Brando when Brando engaged Pluto in a duel.

Nov 14, 2023 8:29 PM
Apr 2020
any story written by urasawa is bound to be a master piece, love how the mysteries unfolds and the drama elevates throughout the narrative
Nov 18, 2023 3:29 AM

Aug 2022
I fucking love Dr. Tenma.
Nov 19, 2023 7:10 AM

Jun 2015
Why would Adolf Haas, a robot-hating extremist, acknowledge that his brother was 'scum' because he killed some robots?
Nov 20, 2023 9:55 AM

Nov 2013
@THE_BigDingus

Same here. It indeed feels wrong and odd.

Sharpedon said:

Indeed, Gesicht fits Tenma's definition of "perfect robot" perfectly.

Deago said:
Why would Adolf Haas, a robot-hating extremist, acknowledge that his brother was 'scum' because he killed some robots?

Was he really an extremist? Surely he was racist but he didn't seem like an extremist to me. I mean, during the flashback when brother gives him a laptop or whatever tech he said he took from robot (obviously after destroying it), Adolf seemed pretty disturbed. He became extreme only towards Gesicht and even then he hesitated to kill him because in heart he still sees robots like Gesicht as more than "walking piece of metal".
So, why would Adolf call his brother scum? Even if we change "killing" with "destroyed", I think it makes sense to despise a person who's a thug and a thief. Adolf seemed like a hardworking guy who became successful because he studied and worked well. Meanwhile, his brother was busy doing shady stuff on the streets. Brother still kill/destroyed "valuable property" that resembled a living child that is obviously very important to other humans and robots. Then there's also his wife who clearly doesn't share Adolf's racist outlook on robots, same as their child so they must've influenced his outlook on the world too. In other words, Adolf lacks conviction to be an extremist. He has reasons to hate robots but that's that.
Nov 24, 2023 11:40 PM
Aug 2018
There are no bad episodes to this show. It gets deeper and deeper every episode! What we learn about robots and AI in this episode is very important, and the insights we obtain on Pluto are perplexing and make me thirst for more!
Nov 27, 2023 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
Another great episode as a whole, especially with the focus on Gesicht's character and the emotions of hatred becoming clearer to him as he recalled what happened in the past with Haas' brother. The whole overlying hatred theme has spilled over to Haas' actions too which have been compromising his family, not only emotionally with struggles with him and his wife but in physical danger too. To be fair, considering what Haas' brother could have done which could hint the destruction of a robot child that was related to Gesicht from the intro, it makes sense as to how hatred overtook Gesicht then in reality, Gesicht seemed thrown off too by Helena's call a little later on. Pretty twisted stuff right there that stood out for me in the episode besides the cliffhanger stuff with Gesicht and Darius XIV.

I know that they are adapting 8 volumes of content over these 8 episodes but surprisingly, each episode has been fairly enjoyable and fascinating to watch and personally, I have no qualms about the pacing this series has had for once compared to the Monster anime. As an adaptation, this has been really impressive regardless of how people actually feel about the story and characters Pluto has to offer.
Nov 27, 2023 11:00 AM
Nov 2020
these episodes are all pretty good and solid. Good Anime
Nov 28, 2023 4:14 AM
Mar 2019
Hatred gives the robot focus, and direction. This has so many metalayers that it's very entertaining to watch.
Dec 5, 2023 10:12 AM

Jan 2019
I noticed the Iraq war parallels before but Darius is just straight up Saddam Hussein lol

Dec 6, 2023 5:01 AM

Jul 2013
Who really is Gesicht? He's turning out to be the biggest mystery here. Is he Pluto?
Dec 8, 2023 8:07 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so Dr Tenma isnt the bad guy actually but he actually has a good conscience deep down.
Man the pluto name drops are killing me, Cant wait to see the robot.
The slow tension buildup is really characteristic of Urasawa Naoki ssnsei.
Dec 10, 2023 8:53 PM
Jul 2014
Seeing the tomb of Tobio, also knowing that Tenma was there just minutes ago... As someone who knows all the backstory of this characters, that scene hits me really hard
aburame_ernestoDec 10, 2023 8:56 PM
Dec 11, 2023 3:43 AM
Oct 2019
OMG Naoki Urasawa storytelling was Amazing!!

Each episode just keep getting better and better.
Dec 16, 2023 6:43 AM

Dec 2021
what an episode damn that was amazing , best of the series so far. Lot of resemblance to the iraq war , darius the 14th is saddam hussein , who slaughtered minorities of different religious sects , but he seems to represented as progressive leader here (well atleast thats what he thinks of himself ), we dont know if the story will portray him as a progressive leader. Every moment from this episode was so good, it was perfect. RIP hercules , he was a great character and it was so hype and yet full of fear that he woud die when he was going to fight against pluto , when he said he always drew against brando , i knew he was losing this fight. Forget this being the best ep in the series till now , this is one of the best eps i have watched , not a single dull moment , so much info to grapple with. Plutos face reveal as well , so excited to what comes next.
Dec 22, 2023 9:38 AM
Mar 2015
so long Hercules You will be missed Hate is something that can be learned
Jan 2, 9:25 PM
Jan 2019
I believe is a little late to introduce the bear
Jan 6, 6:56 AM
Feb 2020
My man Gesicht, he was a real one from start to finish
Jan 6, 6:57 AM
Feb 2020
My man Gesicht, he was a real one from start to finish
Jan 15, 4:32 PM
Jul 2017
plot is getting convoluted for the sake of being convoluted instead of being good
Jan 18, 2:48 PM

Jul 2016
Don't want to sound heartless but I was expecting Adolf's brother's crimes to be more fucked up. So all the fuss about him being irredeemable and scum was because he "killed" some robots that resemble kids? Eh... very far from what I was imagining.

So Atom can be saved after all, huh? How surprising.
SouthRzVaJan 18, 2:54 PM
Jan 30, 4:21 PM

Sep 2017
Dr. Tenma performs an amazing brain surgery to save the impossible patient... Yeah you can find so much Monster inspiration in this series. But yeah Atom's not dead (tho who knows how he will change) and Gesicht was able to full on kill someone out of hatred.
Mar 4, 11:01 PM
Dec 2022
Damn ok so Gesicht really did kill someone?

Wait just noticed Brau-1589's VA is Doflamingo from One Piece lmao

Ok yeah Gesicht 100% did kill that man
Oh its Hercules time to fight
What happened
Darius in court Darius is actually going insane BRING ME CRAYONS!
What happened to Hercules BREAK OFF THE HORN Hercules is dead. Man.
Gesicht and Adolf family being chased oh dear GESICHT CLUTCH HES BETTERRRRR

This is Dr. Tenma Goodnight sweet prince Tobio
YES BRING BACK ATOM YESSS Cant believe that Dr. Tenma has done brain surgery on a boy.. hmmm The whole thing with Tobio and Atom actually so sad The stories and lore for this show are insane

Gesicht and Darius meet

May 13, 4:49 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Jonas-K
Gesicht demonstrating that he understands what it's like to feel hate; Uran demonstrating that he has a heart bigger than all of us and Atom being able to become a "monster".
God, what an insane episode!!
@Jonas-K Absolutely spot on.

Also love how the one thing Adolf hates is what's trying to help and save him.
May 26, 1:48 AM

Aug 2019
They need to bring Atom back, no matter what it takes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

80 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 4 Discussion

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

47 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

watsym - Oct 26, 2023

57 by Sun_Chan »»
May 26, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

62 by Sun_Chan »»
May 25, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

195 by Sun_Chan »»
May 25, 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.