Forum Settings
Forums

What is the scariest anime you have watched.

New
Apr 12, 2022 11:34 AM

Jul 2021
What is the scariest anime you have watched.

Apr 12, 2022 11:37 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Anime aren't wild enough to scare me
Apr 12, 2022 11:39 AM

Apr 2017
Anime, movies, series, books, etc. can't be scary, imo.
๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ผโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ญโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ปโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹ 100000 ๐Ÿ‡ซโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฉโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹ - ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฉโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ฒโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡พโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ถโ€‹๐Ÿ‡บโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹๐Ÿ‡นโ€‹!
Apr 12, 2022 11:40 AM

Sep 2020
Probably Higurashi, I actually got scared when I first watched it, especially the first season.
Apr 12, 2022 11:46 AM

Aug 2021
The very famous Midori The Girl of the Camellias... Both its animation (which is from the 90's) and the characters themselves leave much to be said..
Apr 12, 2022 11:50 AM

Mar 2021
Not exactly scary but the movie Chika Gentou Gekiga: Shoujo Tsubaki is probably the most horrifying.

And then there's Paprika, which was very unsettling
Apr 12, 2022 11:51 AM

Feb 2020
Gakkougurashi!, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Higurashi, Shiki and Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu.

SerafosApr 12, 2022 11:55 AM
Apr 12, 2022 11:52 AM

May 2016
On a conceptual level, Monster. A lot of heinous shit was going on in the Eastern Bloc that would very much fuck you up for life if you went through it.

On its own filmmaking merit, Perfect Blue. It's a legitimate horror film, and a damn creepy one, at that.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Apr 12, 2022 11:56 AM

Mar 2021
Mononoke. It wasn't really scary but watching it at 3 PM at night was creepy tbh.
Apr 12, 2022 11:59 AM

Nov 2019
No anime scared me so far. But it would be a great experience if I could find such an anime.
Apr 12, 2022 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Attack on Titan scared me. Specifically, the titans.
Apr 12, 2022 4:33 PM
Aug 2021
There no specific anime that scared me but some scene from the 1997 berserk had me quite on edge. Peace out!
Apr 12, 2022 11:43 PM

Jul 2019
Heard that Ghost Hunt and Shiki are pretty scary.
Apr 12, 2022 11:53 PM

Nov 2016
Berserk, specifically

Higurashi season 1 was also very unsettling although season 2 lost its horror atmosphere to me.
Apr 13, 2022 12:20 AM

Oct 2012
I remember being creeped out by Paranoia Agent back in the day but I don't even remember what it's about. In terms of real fear, anime isn't that scary. It's not the medium to be realistic. I think in order for anime to be scary, they need to really kick up the atmosphere and mood, and ask "what if" questions without really showing you the answer. Monster did that, but then the show dragged out and it became obvious it didn't really have an answer. Higurashi did that for an arc or two, but it's not really "scary" once you figure out the pattern. I think games like Silent Hill also work from that angle.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 13, 2022 12:30 AM

Feb 2021
NONE, and that's a problem I'm still waiting to be resolved.
Apr 13, 2022 12:33 AM
Jun 2019
Grisaia school trip ark behind tree scene is the scariest scene in all anime i have watched
Apr 13, 2022 12:37 AM

Jul 2012
Perfect Blue when I was younger. The way that Anime movie handled stalking I remember not being able to sleep that night because I felt someone watching me.
I think Horror is not really the genre for Anime.
nani7020 :]
Apr 13, 2022 12:37 AM
ๅฑใชใ„ใŠๅ…„ใ•ใ‚“

Nov 2016
Platinum End, not scariest as horror show but scariest about life existence itself. So deep n really problematic if u watch whole series no wonder if mostly people rage about it coz they dont accept nihilism conclusion behind it

Apr 13, 2022 12:39 AM
Sep 2016
Shinsekai no Yori is legit scary imo.
Apr 13, 2022 12:55 AM

Aug 2013
I never seen actually scary anime as it is since their source materials like games, VN and manga are always much scarier. But there are exist hentai which is so disgusting that actually disturbs.
Apr 13, 2022 1:08 AM

Sep 2021
None from this medium honestly, I think horror is probably the most subjective genre besides comedy.
Apr 13, 2022 1:15 AM

May 2016
probably ghost hunt. ghost's are spooky. the one arc in the big mansion was especially scary
Apr 13, 2022 1:28 AM

Mar 2021
When They Cry
The Neighbor’s Window + The Long Dream by Junji Ito
I love long running anime + ecchi manga + potatoes = gimme some
Apr 13, 2022 1:38 AM

Apr 2018
Yami Shibai is pretty scary sometimes especially when you are alone at night.

Apr 13, 2022 1:38 AM

Sep 2020
Higurashi - Some scenes are pretty scary cause you are not expecting it and they have pretty scary faces as well.

[SPOILER]
The scene where they rip off Rika's guts was hard to watch.
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Apr 13, 2022 2:00 AM

Oct 2018
Yami Shibai has a cheap jump scare every episode (atleast in the earlier seasons) and I still fall for it even though I know it's coming.
Apr 13, 2022 3:56 AM

May 2019
Probably Perfect Blue or Monster, albeit conceptually, and not the standardized western "hehe get jumpscared xd".
yo
Apr 13, 2022 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
It is probably Berserk (2016), the animation style really adds to the horror.
Apr 14, 2022 5:42 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe scary is a bit of a stretch, but unsettling definitely.

Mouryou no Hako (atmospheric, unsettling)

Top Secret: The Revelation (one individual who is just uncomfortable and disturbing to be around)
Apr 14, 2022 5:45 AM

Jul 2014
Perfect Blue's probably the one I've found the most unnerving.
Take care of yourself

Apr 14, 2022 12:07 PM

Aug 2020
I wasn't really scared but higurashi was a very thrilling experience
Apr 14, 2022 12:23 PM

Dec 2019
I've never been outright scared by an anime, but Lain and Ghost Hound had me feeling really unsettled at points. Lain has these random up close shots of people's faces that really made me fel uncomfortable while watching it. Perfect Blue is unsettling as well. Can't think of anymore anime that have scared me.
Apr 14, 2022 12:38 PM

Dec 2019
ISeeLifePeople said:
Platinum End, not scariest as horror show but scariest about life existence itself. So deep n really problematic if u watch whole series no wonder if mostly people rage about it coz they dont accept nihilism conclusion behind it
People rage about it because the conclusion is poorly written. People don't have issues with anime that have nihilistic endings though. Fate/ Zero is one of the most beloved anime on this site, and it arguably has the most nihilistic ending in anything. Devilman Crybaby literally has the same nihilistic ending as Platinum End but it still widely loved as well. I've ever experienced. Platinum End's ending come's across as silly because it was easily avoidable if the characters used their heads for like 3 seconds.
Apr 14, 2022 12:44 PM

Jul 2021
nazsa said:
Shinsekai no Yori is legit scary imo.

I'd describe it as more uncomfortable...
It's good at making you feel like something's wrong, but that's not the same as being actually scary.
Apr 14, 2022 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
Not really scared but I've been deeply disturbed by a few scenes in Elfen lied.
Apr 14, 2022 1:26 PM

Feb 2021
Spirited away is the scariest movie I ever watched
Apr 17, 2022 1:27 PM
ๅฑใชใ„ใŠๅ…„ใ•ใ‚“

Nov 2016
KayY_J said:
ISeeLifePeople said:
People rage about it because the conclusion is poorly written. People don't have issues with anime that have nihilistic endings though. Fate/ Zero is one of the most beloved anime on this site, and it arguably has the most nihilistic ending in anything. Devilman Crybaby literally has the same nihilistic ending as Platinum End but it still widely loved as well. I've ever experienced. Platinum End's ending come's across as silly because it was easily avoidable if the characters used their heads for like 3 seconds.

No u dont get point
Rewatch again
Find out, whos the true one ?
Not him either him tho but unrevealed creature who gave mandate to him after created him
N find out why does he want to end it ?
Coz he cnt do anything, all he did just follow old route that has been ruled by him for long time. So literally after he see the entire world life, there are no point for him to maintain this futher. N last question, whos totally wrong behind it ? Unrevealed creature, him, nakaumi, mc, prof, humanity, angel, or anyone else beside them ?

Apr 17, 2022 2:17 PM

Jul 2015
I will go with Uresaki Picnic, the encounters with the ghosts was so eerie that I legit felt uncomfortable and had goosebumps.. Especially when they will happen out of nowhere..

Not to mention the fact that the main cast was some girls in early adult so it left the impression of "if they get caught.. they will get caught"..
Apr 17, 2022 2:22 PM

Dec 2019
ISeeLifePeople said:
KayY_J said:

No u dont get point
Rewatch again
Not him either him tho but unrevealed creature who gave mandate to him after created him
Coz he cnt do anything, all he did just follow old route that has been ruled by him for long time. So literally after he see the entire world life, there are no point for him to maintain this futher. N last question, whos totally wrong behind it ? Unrevealed creature, him, nakaumi, mc, prof, humanity, angel, or anyone else beside them ?
Again, the ending would've been easily avoidable if any character thought for more than 3 seconds. What did they think would've happened if they made a suicidal boy become god? The same idea pushed by Platinum End's ending is pushed infinitely better by Texhnolyze, Devilman Crybaby and multiple other anime. Platinum End isn't the first piece of media to do the "life is meaningless" shtick and it's one of the worst I've ever seen at doing it. I get the message behind the ending, that killing yourself will affect others around you, but in this case the message was bogged down by how badly the story was written, making it ultimately come off as extremely disrespectful to people who have been directly affected by suicide.
Apr 17, 2022 2:23 PM

May 2011
Cutesy Moebait High School anime scare the hell out of me because I know that I will want to die as I watch the first episode. I consider myself lucky if I don't need to allay the pain with alcohol. I have to sit through them every once in a while though, to have a comprehensive opinion of how this shit is so prevalent as a popular thing.
Apr 17, 2022 2:26 PM

May 2019
Prolly Yami Shibai, I can't rly remember getting scared at any other series
Apr 17, 2022 2:43 PM

Mar 2022
Stein's Gate, it's not scary like horror/gore. But the mystery behind it, what if that's real and not knowing of what actually happened. For me, the scariest part is when they put banana inside microwave, but the banana disappeared and reattached to where it's before, suddenly my body is shaking and my head is full of questions about what the heck actually happened, it's definitely impossible but feels so real at the same time. And don't forget about " HUMAN IS DEAD, MISMATCH"
zaz_aApr 17, 2022 3:03 PM

Apr 17, 2022 3:15 PM
ๅฑใชใ„ใŠๅ…„ใ•ใ‚“

Nov 2016
KayY_J said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

No u dont get point
Rewatch again
Again, the ending would've been easily avoidable if any character thought for more than 3 seconds. What did they think would've happened if they made a suicidal boy become god? The same idea pushed by Platinum End's ending is pushed infinitely better by Texhnolyze, Devilman Crybaby and multiple other anime. Platinum End isn't the first piece of media to do the "life is meaningless" shtick and it's one of the worst I've ever seen at doing it. I get the message behind the ending, that killing yourself will affect others around you, but in this case the message was bogged down by how badly the story was written, making it ultimately come off as extremely disrespectful to people who have been directly affected by suicide.

Suicidal just one of issues behind it. U always blame about how bad written is, but u didnt noticed every detail behind it even u keep asking clear question, why did they choosed junior high school boy become the choosen one ? Enough then

Apr 17, 2022 3:22 PM

Jul 2019
Higurashi maybe. It wasn't so much "ahh scary" but rather terrifying because you just didn't know what those guys would do next. Good horror.
Apr 17, 2022 5:17 PM

Dec 2019
ISeeLifePeople said:
KayY_J said:

Suicidal just one of issues behind it. U always blame about how bad written is, but u didnt noticed every detail behind it even u keep asking clear question, why did they choosed junior high school boy become the choosen one ? Enough then
So explain to me what's so good about it instead of saying "you just don't understand".
Apr 17, 2022 11:04 PM

Jul 2016
The first four seconds of Highschool of the Dead were the scariest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » AI is now capable to create animation

DrkSeid69 - 6 hours ago

17 by Mayahuel »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

55 by TheMechaManiac »»
7 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

14 by Slimsith »»
30 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

63 by Slimsith »»
31 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - Yesterday

19 by Vampire_Lord »»
32 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.