Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you think AI will overtake the animation industry?
Jun 8, 3:25 AM

Nov 2020
AI is now capable to create inbetween animation that nearly as perfect as the work of animator. By leveraging the AI tool named "ToonCrafter", AI can generate smooth transitions, intricate movements, accurate color, and expressions in characters, significantly reducing the time and cost associated with traditional animation methods, just by using 2 input images.
DrkSeid69Jun 8, 10:18 AM
Jun 8, 4:26 AM

Oct 2013
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. AI will only become better with time. Will it overtake the animation industry? No, I mean, not in the nearest future. Animation is only one element of the production process. However, once AI improves even further, it will surely make it easier and faster to make a high quality animated stuff.
Jun 8, 4:41 AM

Jan 2009
the coloring is whats more impressive here and for sure give it 5-10 years more and ai anime will be mainstream
Jun 8, 4:44 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Hopefully 3D can be fixed up so it doesn't look like horse dung like it does now as well. But we will see what happens.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jun 8, 4:45 AM

Sep 2016
DrkSeid69 said:
Do you think AI will overtake the animation industry?

This poll question makes no sense, I think you meant to ask if AI will replace certain jobs in the animation industry and yes it will.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 8, 4:50 AM

May 2015
The pace of the development of tools for creating AI generated content has speeded up so much that in a few years, even in this decade, you would be able to generate your own anime based on your personal preferences (so in the end we won't consume series made by big studios). But before that, during a transition period, we will most likely watch anime-like series created and uploaded by similar content creators we already have on youtube, the only difference is that they will make anime using AI tools without the backing of a studio. AI won't only be able to generate animated scenes but will do the job of voice actors as well (GTP 4o is already able to do it actually, you can prompt it what kind of role it should play and what kind of voice you would like it to use, it even makes up dialogues based on your prompts).

Actually it is an interesting question whether an AI created cartoon will still be called anime if it has anime aesthetics, uses anime tropes, japanes voices but its creation process doesn't have anything to do with japan (because it was made by a program)

Check out this video below. It is not about animation but generating seemingly realistic vidoes, compared to this generating animated content is a more simple task.

And it would create even the soundtrack of it. AI can already reproduce the voice of any living person and cover with them any song you want it to do. Youtube is already teeming with content like this (it is an AI cover):

And I can assure you it will be even writing its own songs too.
IshitatesoJun 8, 9:19 AM
Jun 8, 5:01 AM

Nov 2020
no matter how much i think about it, i simply cannot comprehend how amazing and wonderful of a technology this is!!!!
but i don't think it can overtake the anime industry. or at least that is what my understanding of AI (which isn't much) and animation says. The recent trend is stuff like impact frames and i do not think that AI can achieve that level of creativity just yet.
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jun 8, 5:02 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to AMBITZZ
no matter how much i think about it, i simply cannot comprehend how amazing and wonderful of a technology this is!!!!
but i don't think it can overtake the anime industry. or at least that is what my understanding of AI (which isn't much) and animation says. The recent trend is stuff like impact frames and i do not think that AI can achieve that level of creativity just yet.
@AMBITZZ oh damn i read a few other replies and ig i am kinda wrong lol
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jun 8, 5:05 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you think AI will overtake the animation industry?"

Probably partially.
Jun 8, 5:21 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
That is insane, I always thought if an anime was made fully from AI would I watch it.
Jun 8, 5:28 AM

Feb 2023
Soon AI will not only take over all phases of anime creation, but will also be able to WATCH it faster and better than mere humans. After all, AI is already writing half the comments in forum posts, plot summaries and user reviews. Some well-known members of the community (I name no names) have already been fully posessed by AI. The human viewer is a declining race, and will be completely extinct 10 years from now, replaced by AIs that will load the .avi or .mpg or whatever directly to their memory bank, bypassing such outmoded interfaces as screens and speakers.
Cower, brief mortals, for the Age of AI is at hand!
Jun 8, 5:46 AM

Sep 2008
expectation: animation will be twice as fluid with 2x more frames!
reality: animation will have the same amount of frames, but now all ai generated
there's no winning this. every time there's a technological leap it's used to make anime get produced cheaper and faster. never better. mark my words.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 8, 6:16 AM

Nov 2023
Well this is the only case that I hope is utilized in hopes of letting those overworked animators go home. But that also means I would not want to support or throw money into a series because less effort means less should be deserved
Jun 8, 6:20 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
As long as it looks good and natural, who cares? Purists are so obnoxious.
Jun 8, 9:10 AM

Oct 2017
Artists should never be removed from art, and the fact that in between animation is one of the things that is currently at risk of being replaced is fucking terrifying, as becoming a tweener is one of the ways that many people get their foot in the door in the industry.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 8, 9:17 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
Artists should never be removed from art, and the fact that in between animation is one of the things that is currently at risk of being replaced is fucking terrifying, as becoming a tweener is one of the ways that many people get their foot in the door in the industry.
@LSSJ_Gaming There are further consequences to this if we pull the thread a bit. Already there are studios that over-prioritize veteran talent and stifle younger talent, especially in the realm of pre-established IPs, which are also a feature many studios prioritize.
By bottlenecking the flow for young talent to prove themselves in the industry even more, we're bound to see even more of the same ideas expressed in the same ways, especially with AI integrated, meaning the artform will seem to stall, repeated gestures will become more obvious and audiences will probably show up less

to investor types, it won't mean having to adapt and change, but rather to divest from animation as an "antiquated" industry, because economy-types are stupid.
Timeline_manJun 8, 9:20 AM
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 8, 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
As long as it looks good and natural, who cares? Purists are so obnoxious.
@BigBoyAdvance Soo....It's obnoxious to not want companies to replace people with AI? Got it. It'll be really funny when everyone who pushes for it also gets replaced by it then.
Jun 8, 9:41 AM

Jun 2024
I have this uneasy feeling that within the next decade or so, I won't be able to distinguish AI generated anime from real ones.
Jun 8, 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
Although AI will undoubtedly change the nature of some animation roles, it’s unlikely to replace the need for human animators entirely. Instead, AI will more likely shift the focus of animators’ work—which is to say, animators will have to learn how to utilize AI tools in their work.
Jun 8, 12:03 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reply to FanofAction
@BigBoyAdvance Soo....It's obnoxious to not want companies to replace people with AI? Got it. It'll be really funny when everyone who pushes for it also gets replaced by it then.
@FanofAction Excellent strawman. I applaud your intelligence.
Jun 9, 2:46 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
@FanofAction Excellent strawman. I applaud your intelligence.
@BigBoyAdvance Excellent example of an answer I'd expect to see from someone who doesn't understand the negative impact of something like AI...
Jun 11, 7:48 AM

Mar 2018
Everyday closer to have a lot of Yaoi Shota Incest animations

More topics from this board

Poll: » What should be the next Type Moon anime project.

AnimePedestrian - 29 minutes ago

2 by AnimePedestrian »»
1 minute ago

» Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3?

thewiru - Today

39 by thewiru »»
3 minutes ago

» what anime/s gave you the biggest "HANGOVER" ?

ame - Jul 24

19 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» 📝 AD Best Seiyuu Contest ( 1 2 3 4 )

Shizuna - Jul 14

179 by -YaoiBoy- »»
8 minutes ago

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

228 by Cielord »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.