Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 24, 2021 1:35 PM

Mar 2009
Depressing and disturbing episode. Poor Shirley and Rum.
Jun 27, 2021 1:31 PM

Mar 2010
Haha Drugged, whipped and discarded like animals, tis like a flashback from slavery times haha how the tables have turned.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 30, 2021 10:32 AM

Jun 2013
What happened to Shirley was heartbreaking, I didn't cry but damn was I really down throughout the rest of the episode. What will happen to Rum?

I usually don't like too most exposition but that detailed exposition dump by Edward was greatly appreciated. So these shadows are parasitic fairies? Still, it doesn't make my heart hurt any less for Shirley. Rum desperately wanted to match with her and kiss her goodnight but she couldn't. Now she can't do that anymore.

I'm guessing Emilico and the others have been brainwashed but only the shadows realize this. I feel sorry for Emilico and the other living dolls. Hope they still have a chance to fight back.

่‡ญใ„-
Jul 2, 2021 5:00 PM

Nov 2016
Uff, big sad moment between Rum and Shirley ;_;

As for the infodump this episode, most of it, especially regarding the unification was predictable and the reveal itself was lazy. Nonetheless, the setting is still highly intriguing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 10, 2021 5:25 AM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
I wondered since the beginning how the living dolls could emulate the hypothetical "true" aspect of the shadows so accurately, relying only on their three-dimensional form, considering they are purely black. Now it's all clear, the reveal that Dolls came before Shadows turned upside-down the perspective. I agree with some comments that the big info could be delivered in a bit more cliffhanger-ish way, but beside that I don't have any complaint. Also, the passing of Shirley and the fate of Ram were so sad, this and lots of other scenes were executed greatly. This show is amazing, for me it deserves the top3 of its season.
Jul 12, 2021 3:53 AM
Apr 2020
I must have forgotten but can anyone please..tell me why Edward didn't want emilico and Kate to pass the debut.
Aug 11, 2021 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
Lots of information on what shadows are with the morphs, reaching unification and stuff. Amazing finish by Kate and Emilico although sad situation for Shirley and Rum especially when they started to form a bond.

Aug 21, 2021 10:54 PM
Oct 2019
WHAT

the soot angel wings was awesome

the shadows ARE body snatchers. i mean, i already pondered this back in episode one, and it was pretty much confirmed last episode (or the one before?). but it's even further explained this episode. a really nice and much-needed explanation. parasitic fairies that are experts at mimicry? holy f

i wonder how "lord grandfather" started it all. how do they just have human bodies laying around to use like that? veiled dolls are just "faces" whose shadow was "culled". so i guess they're veiled so that no one sees their face and stray from the groupthink. i wonder how long the soot coffee mindtrick lasts before wearing off. kate is really stepping into her own. i like her individualism and is starting to defy authority almost. are the faces "cons? do they share their thoughts? or are they completely overriden by the shadows?

no spoilers. i'm just talking out loud to myself

bumping this back up to an 8/10 since i enjoyed the garden episodes so much
Aug 26, 2021 7:07 AM

May 2019
Embient said:
This episode was amazing. I don't mind the info dump.

JustRitom said:
GUYS IF YOU WATCH EP 1's FIRST 2 MINUTES NOW,EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER..THANK ME LATER :>

Holy crap thank you

Great hint, almost forgot the introduction of the series.

The only scene not explained yet was this with Barbie's Shadow:

She already awakened her powers, since they do it at the debut. So it is something else, like doing this suffering soot explosion for some reason.

We are near chapter 50 of manga i guess.
Aug 29, 2021 11:02 AM

Feb 2018
Poor Rum :/. That damn 'coffee' though.. hopefully the 'dolls' will return to their normal state soon, seeing Emilico in that last scene was as creepy as sad
Sep 3, 2021 10:14 PM

Aug 2011
I binged the entire 'Debut" arch, I just couldn't stop watching.

I feel bad for Rum, with all the effort she put into saving her mistress. (sighs) So sad.

Sunshine was awesome though. Because of her, everyone worked together as a team, even snotty Patrick's and Louie's self-absorbed shadows.

This series is much better than expected.

Stay away from the soot caffeine.
Sep 16, 2021 1:09 PM

Feb 2017
Coffee is the root of all evil
๐˜ผ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก ๐™™๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ก๐™ก๐™จ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™—๐™ค๐™™๐™ฎ
Oct 19, 2021 9:22 AM

Jul 2016
hm. so she actually died huh.
i hadn't much interest in the two to begin with, but i thought they'd be able to develop later on, which is a shame. unless there's some sort of plot twist that brings them back. i will enjoy seeing how the shadows react to the drugged up faces. don't drink the koolaid? more like don't drink the soot hypnosis coffee.
Dec 30, 2021 12:52 PM

Mar 2017
There was a lot of disturbing shit revealed this episode but Shirley just turning to soot like that was the worst. And now poor Rum is going to be a faceless servant.

I hope that the mind control the soot has done to the dolls can be reversed cause it’ll break my heart if they stay mindless subservient beings
Feb 9, 2022 12:48 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Imagine having this massive maze-like garden as your backyard. It would be like a dream come true for my inner child

Loved the moment where Kate comes descending down with black soot angel wings with Emilico in her arms.

So while we still don't know exactly what this black soot is or why it has caused all the members of the house to become shadows, we are fed a little bit of info- albeit in a pretty dumb way. Edward was invited up to the third floor for nothing else than to give the audience an exposition scene. And actually not much was revealed, other than these shadows are truly some shady people- something we kind of already knew in the back of our minds. Basically they're raising, or farming, more of their own kind in hopes of them reaching the third stage where they merge face and shadow. Yeah ok that's interesting I guess, but why? And they're giving coffee to the dolls to keep them under control. Ok, but how's that supposed to help the shadow masters gain personalities then when clearly they'd be quite disturbed at the sudden changes in their dolls? I guess they're only given the coffee after the debut, which I guess its purpose was to show that the shadow masters have indeed developed personalities. Sigh, so many questions still, not much answered.

This episode would have been a good place to end the season actually. It does end on a cliffhanger, but a good one to end season at. But we have three more episodes, and from what I've heard, these are anime originals, and not as good as the previous episodes. Hopefully that's not true, because if they're less good than what we've gotten, they're going to range from being boring to downright sucking if I'm being honest.

edit: ok thanks to the above users for mentioning this, because I completely forgot about it. Watched the first two minutes of the first episode, and it definitely helps tie things in together a little better
BetaMaleUltraFeb 9, 2022 12:52 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 14, 2022 8:59 PM

Apr 2016
Here infodump, your welcome
So Shirley was just up to basically disappearing, poor thing.

Don't care how convenient it was for Kate and Emilico to get in time if it makes Edward look like a fool

That last scene was creepy thanks to how Emilico has been potrayed so far, I can't believe I'm rooting for Kate to bring back annoying Emilico.
Apr 26, 2022 5:08 PM
Jan 2022
Amused much to Katy's ability, it was awesome. But what's wrong with Emilyko on last scene, looks like something bad.
Jul 9, 2022 7:07 PM
Jun 2019
This episode had tons of information dumped onto us, which at the same time kinda takes away from the mystery aspect of the show. We now know what shadows are, their goals, their weaknesses, and what the "dolls" are. I guess t's fine, but it seems kinda meh that they would just dump so much exposition instead of giving us small pieces to fit the mystery aspect of the show.

Anyway, a splendid episode. I feel pretty bad for Shirley and Ram. And I guess I was right about the Get Out based on what shadows are.

Rip Shirley

Oh, and the ending when Emilyco looked at us and smiled, breaking the fourth wall gave me goosebumps.

how to tell my screen resolution
Joey-XD19202Jul 9, 2022 9:15 PM
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Jul 24, 2022 12:36 PM

May 2020
Plenty of information, and I bet these higher ups are more messed up than what meeting our eyes right now. Kinda not surprised they brought up that merging stuff, was expecting it at some point. Still have to feel for these kids, the name living dolls really making sense now.

Also that 200 iq from Kate and Emilico somehow saved them from sharing the same fate as Rum and Shirley.
Aug 15, 2022 9:59 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
I agree with most people here that the huge exposition dump was unnecessary especially when most of it was stuff we had already guessed to begin with, EXCEPT for the shadows being parasites. At the beginning of the show we are told to believe the humans ("living dolls" lol) are clones/created to "look" like the shadows but it's the other way around since the parasites are the ones mimicking the human beings.

At this point if you still question whether they're dolls or not I don't know what to tell you, they literally already spoonfed you everything so i'm sorry but just how slow do you have to be..

Aug 31, 2022 7:33 AM

Sep 2017
Hoo boy. This episode is sooo depressing. I can't take it anymore man.

Especially Dark Coffee. I dont want to drink that cursed shit again. Not even coffee.

Tea. Tea is good. Caffeine is bad.

How badly did Mia's shadows master mistreat her so much that Mia had to follow her expressions too closely??

Shirley's death was too sad. F.

Lots of world explanation. Goddamnit Grandfather. I hate that they mixed his stuff to children.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 31, 2022 7:35 AM

Sep 2017
Oh yeah, emilico and kate using the river was good quick thinking. And emilico does have some smarts. But seriously I hate grandfather. F**king cult leader.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 5, 2022 8:22 AM
Sep 2022
So satisfied. I was so sad that Rum could not pass the debut.
Dec 14, 2022 8:35 AM

Dec 2019
really is a hidden gem
Feb 20, 2023 10:09 PM

Sep 2015
these expositions. oh lord...

one of the reason why the manga is so engaging is because of the mystery factor and how Shadow House is seemingly harmless but the readers slowly and naturally form their judgment and opinions toward it. 

Why would the Shadow House members call themselves parasitic fairies making them aware of being the bad guys? Expositions should happen naturally in the correct settings. Villians explaining and spoon-feeding viewers how they function and how bad they are is just dumb directing. This happens a lot in the mystery genre where the villains give info dump after getting caught. I wish they stop doing this. Mystery should be discovered, not explained.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
May 1, 2023 12:23 AM

Oct 2022
Kate seemed pretty well composed since the beginning, who's personality did she have, or did she make her own? It seems like they both influence each other.

Jul 8, 2023 11:34 AM

Dec 2022
Many sad events here. Shirley spoke Rum's name for the first time and then just disintegrates, and now Rum herself is imprisoned and prepared for being turned into a voiceless veiled doll. A tenebrous coffee is also served to brainwash the other dolls. It shows you how "passing the debut" is ultimately just a formality, and merely serves as an elimination grounds to move the successful candidates to the next stage of their manipulation by the shadow nobility. Even the celebration was just a pretext to serve them tainted drinks.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

Jul 15, 2023 3:43 AM

Dec 2013
Good thing that Kate and Emilico made it. I wonder what John handed to Kate? So the coffee has brainwashing elements to the Living Dolls?

โ˜…โ”โ”โ”€
๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต?
๐˜ž๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ?

Mar 31, 4:48 PM

May 2021
Wow that really helped me break down the process and whats going on
Inhales oxygen
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 6, 2023 12:45 AM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

190 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 2, 2023 9:58 PM

» I hate Barbie For Eternity.

KhoaVN - Oct 27, 2023

9 by ichihito »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

125 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2021

62 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.