Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2021 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A lot of passion poured into the performance this episode. A well deserved standing ovation imo.

Takaomi also made quite an impression through his skills and this episode that was quite impressive, almost like a moving painting with the wind.
Jun 4, 2021 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
After the group competition, comes the individual competition, and there're high stakes for all parties.

Another showing of Jongara-bushi, and Tanuma tries playng with Setsu's thought process. This piece of drama may be conspicuously chuckling.

Only 4 competitors are worthy of all looking forward to: Ushio, Kaji, Tanuma and Setsu. Kamiki Ryuugen showing up is unlike any other parental case of aflliction, it's a psychology battle first and foremost between a legit son and adopted children. How funny and comical is this from Kouta though.

A familial conflict between Kamiki and Umeko, not to mention their kids' rivalries of Mai and Tanuma against Setsu, this is chilling levels of drama awaiting to nestle out of the bag. As Wakana has sufficed, it's exhausting to listen to endless whims.

Indeed, the way that these 4 (or 2, lest for Ushio and Kaji this episode) interpret their Tsugaru-Shamisen playing is vastly different: Ushio still sticking to his guns of doing the Arakawa Twang and enjoying himself in the fun run, that's the entertainment aspect of the Shamisen. For Kaji, his worries wear upon his heart, but he vailantly displays her valour by going for a fierce style as means to show what he's made of individually with the rebellious nature,

The unforeseen haa happened, and Kaji's voice in both hmself and his Shamisen instrument is tremored...hope this comes out amicably.
Jun 4, 2021 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
Well, it's time for the individual performances and Setsu is looking prepared for it. But, before that, we saw quite a family feud between Setsu's father, Kamiki Ryuugen who's trying to take Setsu in, and his mother, Umeko who's against it. Both are fixated on Setsu like he's some kind of a toy. Nobody's even trying to understand his feelings. It's hard to be Setsu and his brother, Wakama.

Setsu has quite a few formidable opponents to look up to. Everyone has their own style of playing Shamisen. Someone's there to just enjoy it which is not bad actually. Some are nervous which is totally understandable and Setsu has a lot of things going through his mind as well. Some really amazing performances so far.

Unfortunately, not for Kaji. Poor guy's Shamisen gave up in the middle of the performance. How will he come back from this? Can he? Now I'm just waiting for Setsu's mind-blowing performance if there's going to be one.
Pre_YumJun 4, 2021 12:21 PM
Jun 4, 2021 12:21 PM
Sep 2015
He'll probably playing the rest of the song with just two strings, which will impress the audience, but the judge will be divided on his performance.

Anyway, Setsu's family is such a mess! But the most striking thought from me is that, if Setsu is to start his own family, it'll probably be a mess too, considering Setsu's personality, his spouse and his children will find it hard to communicate with him.
Jun 4, 2021 12:24 PM
Mar 2020
Greatest episode of my life.
Jun 4, 2021 12:35 PM

Apr 2018
A demon vs demon fight in a music anime? You never thought that would happen.
Quite a family reunion.
Arakawa's play was really fun and beautiful to listen to, he's character personality is good.

Pretty sure he'll play the rest of the play with just 2 strings, he's pretty good so he'll he able to do it.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 4, 2021 12:48 PM
Sep 2018
Welp.

I was kinda right; MaiMai's adoptive father is Setsu's biological father.
And the dad is an asshole.
Both of Setsu's parent-types are focused on the legacy of Umeko's father, and aren't seeing Setsu as his own person, but a prize in their competition, each desiring to shape him differently than the other.
His dad is correct about one thing; Setsu does need exposure to other 'sounds', other styles of play, other schools of Shamisen, non-traditional as well as traditional music; he needs that so he can draw upon it when reacting with his audience.

I gotta say, MaiMai's mom is having to deal with a really screwed up husband. No wonder she's so wound up about everything. Gotta feel sorry for her and the kids (all of the kids).

Speaking of kids...MaiMai and Setsu's older brother are the most normal. Setsu's kinda odd, and Souichi is classic OCD; really classic, a textbook case.

There are a number of interesting personality types running around...like that's news to anyone!

It'll be interesting if the chap playing who had a string break will be able to go outside his comfort zone enough to work around that with the remaining two strings. The string breaking is gonna cost him points no matter what, but lost points from that beats the lost points from walking off the stage. In some ways, this may prove a really good thing to have happened to him, provided he can make himself do the needed improvisation upon a tune it'll require to complete things.

Then...provided they don't shove it to the final episode, it'll be Setsu.

This is still really good stuff.
Jun 4, 2021 1:20 PM

May 2018
So, what's them brothers deal with their dad Kamiki Ryuugen?

OOOOh too bad for contestant number 29, his string jaz gave up.
Jun 4, 2021 2:07 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
And so its time for the individuals huh. Guess the lack of qualifying rounds really served to allow the chaff to enter as well. Setsu's performance sure ended up drawing quite the audience. Behind the scenes though the family situation sure looks complex for Setsu. Ushio though really has quite the fan base. His performance though was fun and looks like he really enjoyed it as well. Too bad about Kaji though. His performance was excellent though the string snapping halfway through his performance really cut short his performance. Overall an enjoyable ep that served to both provide excellent performances via Ushio and Kaji's pieces while also expand upon the complexity that lay in Setsu's relations with his family. Curious to see what will happen next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2021 2:12 PM

Feb 2015
Weasalopes said:
Welp.

I remember I read that comment of yours on previous episodes and I was like "No way, can it be correct?!" It is really interesting that he is the real son of Kamiki :O As it is mentioned in the ep that Setsu is the only one related to Kamiki by blood, then Wakana must be his step brother as well..
Jun 4, 2021 2:20 PM

Sep 2018
This anime always amazes me for how the OST, despite not being particularly unique, manages to keep me engaged from start to finish even outside the shamisen performances. The sound director deserves a statue.
NirinboJun 4, 2021 2:23 PM
Jun 4, 2021 3:25 PM

Mar 2017
They were dropping some bombs this ep with the reveal that Kamiki Ryuugen is Setsu's dad, he wants Setsu to take over as Kamiki Ryuugen when he retires 𝘢𝘯𝘥 Mai, Souichi, & Setsu are adopted siblings... my head is spinning!

Setsu's parents are both toxic af. They're each trying to force Setsu into this mold, with his dad purely wanting him for his skill and nothing more and his mum treating him like her property. On top of that, both of them left Wakana & Matsugoro to bringing Setsu up until they were ready to use him.
Jun 4, 2021 3:38 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Rip Kaji-kun. You've gone too far away, it seems. At least you already showed to yourself how good you are by improving into that point. Too bad those string can't handle the improvement. So, well...

In the other hand, Arakawa kept giving the strong impression since the beginning. The pattern seems to get into the same way as the group session before. I guess, by eliminating Kaji performance, it will be a lot easier for the judge to focus more into Souichi and Setsu. The duel between them, right? I suspect, its Umeko works, if you know what i mean ....

Anyway, about Souichi dad, and how he introduced himself as Setsu's dad, kinda shock me a little bit. The timing really strange at those point, but, well, it is what it is. The conversation between him and Umeko really strong, i feel bad already for Setsu's brother in the middle of them. Idk how the hell it can be happened in the first place. But, that's it! A little drama behind Setsu's family. How nice!

Also, i like how Yui responded into all the shocking moment. A bit delay, from what i see. But, its fine. She always amazed me. Then those both definitely cute, no argument. Next!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 4, 2021 4:12 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Imo, if he improvises and finishes the song with the string still broken, it'd make me respect his performance even more.

Of course, it's still unfortunate that his string broke though.
LezetJun 4, 2021 4:17 PM
Jun 4, 2021 5:39 PM

Oct 2009
Well this escalated into a soap opera family drama quite quickly. To the point where I'm kinda lost on who's who, even.
Arakawa looking like an Englishman from a century or two ago, playing a traditional Japanese instrument in a way it apparently shouldn't really be played - that was just odd. And then poor Kaji..... rip.
Jun 4, 2021 5:46 PM

May 2007
That was a bit of a info-dump with the complexity of his family situation. So, his older brother is his half-brother, when did Umeko give birth to him.

Does anyone know how much of the manga the anime has adapted?
Jun 4, 2021 5:52 PM

Dec 2020
moms an ass, dads an ass. mans just can't live peacefully lmao

and what happened with kaji is awful but this is anime so im guessing he'd play with only 2 strings which is ??? amazing and that'll impress everyone
Jun 4, 2021 6:36 PM

Oct 2013
Dude this family is fucking cray!
From what I watched this ep, the curly hair guy said Setsu was the only biological kid to that jackass guy he didn't mention Wakana. So Wakana might be from another dude and he's just setsus half-brother which is why they look so different. Then he said Mai and Soichi are jackasses adopted kids and he has that other wife now.......damn this some crazy dynamics.

Next thing you know we gonna find out there is some Alabama honeymoon humping going on!

I also wonder if Mai and Soichi do know Setsu is there brother, I'm sure right?
And how the hell did all of the parents hook up and break up? I wanna see young pre MILF Umeko! That could be a anime drama by itself, cause then it also has basically the parents abandoning there kids on the Gramps or starting other families.

SPILLLLLLL THAAAAT TEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Oh and I need some nhentai dojin like pronto of these chicks am I right fellas! They can get some good tags out of this group! Especially after Shuri and Sakura looked at each other and said they were each cute!

Waifu wars baby!!!!!!

Jun 4, 2021 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
Just gonna say now with these new tags popping up in this episode we got "a thousand and one follies, lollies and lickemollies" to choose from!

Sexy crazy Yankee style MILF - Umeko
Shy classmate with a cute face- Shuri
Megane Pervert Tsundere- Yui
Centerfold hostess older sister - Yuna
Middle school little sister wife - Sakura
Childhood friend/Step Sister - Mai

We got got all types cum one cum all!

Jun 4, 2021 9:03 PM
Sep 2018
Can't tell the players without a scorecard, right?

My current visualization, based upon the latest reveal.

Setsu Sawamura: MC. Umeko Sawamura is his mum. What's-his-face Tanuma is his male gene donor. Wakana Sawamura is his half-brother by Umeko and some as yet unnamed other dude. The two half-siblings are upper level musicians.

Umeko Sawamura is Matsugorou Sawamura's daughter. Has two sons by two different gene donors. Wakana is the older, and Setsu the younger. Her final status as a parent is still kinda up-in-the-air, but leaning toward major asshat; at least she left the raising of them to her father, who did a decent job of it. Top-notch vocalist.

What's-his-face Tanuma: Has one biological child, and two adopted children. Total asshat as a parent, although a very talented Shamisen player and instructor.

Long-suffering Mom Tanuma: Has known all of this all along, and is pissed at her asshat husband (although doing a good job of being supportive anyway), pissed at Umeko, and has mixed feelings about everyone else except that she is a decent mum, as far as I can tell. I feel for her; she's been given the shitty end of the stick.

Souchi Tanuma & Mai Tanuma: the adopted children of what's-his-name. Souchi is textbook OCD, and would really like a friend. Mai is fairly normal, except obsessed with competing against Setsu. So far, my sense is that they may know they are adopted, or may not, but either way they don't know Setsu is their pop's biological offspring. Both are upper level musicians.

So.
The Sawamura siblings are half-brothers, and Matsugorou's grandsons.
The Tanuma siblings are unrelated to anyone we are aware of.

Yui is shipping folks left and right like the sale ends in 5 minutes...
Jun 4, 2021 9:45 PM
Jun 2015
dokidoki_bean said:
They were dropping some bombs this ep with the reveal that Kamiki Ryuugen is Setsu's dad, he wants Setsu to take over as Kamiki Ryuugen when he retires 𝘢𝘯𝘥 Mai, Souichi, & Setsu are adopted siblings... my head is spinning!

Setsu's parents are both toxic af. They're each trying to force Setsu into this mold, with his dad purely wanting him for his skill and nothing more and his mum treating him like her property. On top of that, both of them left Wakana & Matsugoro to bringing Setsu up until they were ready to use him.

Definitely agree with your statement "
dokidoki_bean said:

Definitely agree with your statement,
"On top of that, both of them left Wakana & Matsugoro to bringing Setsu up until they were ready to use him." The fact that they really out here forcing their desires onto him, while Wakana just wants Setsu to be able to find his own sound and himself. It really highlights how selfish and irresponsible they are compared to Wakana, his brother.
Jun 4, 2021 9:47 PM
Jun 2015
lizzziziz said:
moms an ass, dads an ass. mans just can't live peacefully lmao

and what happened with kaji is awful but this is anime so im guessing he'd play with only 2 strings which is ??? amazing and that'll impress everyone

LMAOO really brings out Wakana's comment "demon vs demon"
ayeitzanimeJun 4, 2021 9:53 PM
Jun 4, 2021 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
What a tense episode. The last scene was breathtaking.
Jun 5, 2021 12:03 AM

Dec 2010
Lots of exposition to the family of Setsu.

Poor Kaji-kun though.... I was excited to see the New Kaji but I guess the world isn't ready yet.
Ganbare Kaji kyun!!
Jun 5, 2021 4:30 AM

Jun 2007
I hope eventually Setsu's gonna tell his "parents" to go f themselves.....
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jun 5, 2021 6:11 AM

Oct 2016
Bruh, they just revealed all those juicy information like it's nothing lmao. I love how they revealed it, that was great, you do you curly haired friend of Wakana. Setsu's family is fucked up though, I feel especially bad for Wakana. I am guessing Wakana and Setsu have different dads. I wonder if Souichi and Mai knows that Setsu is their brother, I don't think they do.

Sakura and Shuri interacting was very adorable, I like them both but, Sakura is best girl. Yui just out here shipping everything that moves with Setsu lmao. I respect the shit out of Arakawa, that's how it should be, having fun. Feel bad for Kaji, but it'd be amazing if he continued playing with 2 strings. Really great episode! Looking forward to the next one. 2 left, I hope we get a 2nd season.
Jun 5, 2021 6:15 AM

Feb 2014
Setsu's stuck between aspirations of people towards him. Though he seems to be in a world of his own. Can't wait what storm his gonna bring to the shamisen world. Also the other contestants are too good. Especially Kaji, wonder how he's gonna end his piece. Kubo and the two strings?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jun 5, 2021 9:31 AM

Nov 2020
I really liked this episode, one of the strongest ones of the season since the first couple. Just keep giving me focus on Setsu and the Aomori crew, they're so much more interesting than the high school group, who all still feel kind of just... there, outside of Yui.

Speaking of Yui, shout to her for hearing all these bombshells regarding Setsu's family, and her first thought being to whether her ship of SetsuxMaiMai was still viable. You just know that she throws herself into online ship wars like a naval destroyer.

Plus, you know what they say... if she's not blood related, she's free to be dated.
Jun 5, 2021 9:49 AM

Oct 2008
oh snap! Kaji snapped! i meant his strings! lolz
Ushio made his fun enjoyable way! nice! but some are annoyed with his "Twang" sound! hahaha
5/5.

Jun 5, 2021 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
that episode working very well in the matter of plot for me was a great episode.
Jun 5, 2021 12:12 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
So this episode bascially proved that everyone in the family is an asshole. Guess we can understand why Mai is so obsessive.

I can't get over how cute the neighbor girl is.

Now we'll see how everyone is going to do in the individual competition. That was a hell of a way to end an episode though, a broken string on stage? Who knows what'll happen next.
Jun 5, 2021 12:45 PM

Feb 2008

The elder Sawamura sibling took the words out of my mouth. He is definitely in an unenviable position.

Not that I dislike it. This definitely spices things up a bit. And the estranged father's words most likely opened an avenue for Sawamura to evolve.

Oh, and just to overdose on cuteness…

Too bad for Kaji, though.
Jun 5, 2021 4:44 PM

Jul 2014
Am I missing stuff? Why is the "rockstar" there?
Jun 5, 2021 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
dbulg1 said:

Plus, you know what they say... if she's not blood related, she's free to be dated.

Dude too funny! Never heard that one.

Lol

If she's not blood related, she's free to be dated. But if she dose have yo blood, just put it in the butt.

Jun 6, 2021 1:52 PM

Nov 2012
Totally did not see a broken string. There should be a time allotted to restring and perform.
Jun 6, 2021 1:57 PM

Nov 2012
dasprn said:
Especially Kaji, wonder how he's gonna end his piece. Kubo and the two strings?

Brillant! Maybe Kaji's a descendant.
Jun 6, 2021 4:41 PM
Mar 2021

Its now episode 10 and its really good.. have u ever felt the nervousness in a tournament? For me, i havent, but i can relate with the nervousness part.. nervous that others are better than u, if u have really played it right, and etc.. in HS, i had all the reason to sing with all i got, never minding nervousness.. but now that that reason is gone, i can really feel all the nervousness coming up to me when im on stage, and will be the case since i have now felt such emotion.. well, i can also tell that setsus family is seriously complicated, since both parents are just so selfish.. tho as souichi is still far, but before setsu, just how will setsu feel when he listens to his tune? Anyways, i rate the episode a 4.5 of 5, 4.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 6, 2021 5:28 PM

Jul 2017
damn poor Kaji, can't imagine how nerve racking that can be having a part of your instrument just break in the middle of your performance like that

Though the real poor soul is definitely Setsu. It must suck knowing that everyone including your own parents are only using you for you just as a memetic tool to pass on the legacy of grandpa. I do hope his performance at the end will be a showing that he is his own person
Jun 6, 2021 8:44 PM
Oct 2019
arakawa is cool. i like him and his unorthodox, happy go lucky style

soichi and setsu are adopted step brothers, essentially? that's interesting. nice little bombshell

unfortuate that his string broke when he was kind of beginning to explore his "sound"

the solo competition is off to a great start. looking forward to more. wish mai was playing
Jun 7, 2021 9:55 AM
Mar 2015
Sets has a really screwed up family especially his mom and dad
Jun 18, 2021 8:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I'm not even surprised by how difficult Setsu's family situation is difficult, his dad is the worst though... well now for the solo performance it's interesting, the string at the end though! I'm looking forward to hearing Setsu's performance
Jul 11, 2021 7:08 AM
Jul 2021
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what's the name of the piece they play for the Solo competition?
Aug 12, 2021 4:37 AM

Jul 2015
Poor Kaji there at the end just when his performance went so well.
Seeing everyone's reaction on Kamiki Ryuugen being Setsu's biological dad, I can't wait for them to find out about Umeko being his mother.

Mar 1, 2022 5:14 PM

Aug 2011
Weasalopes said:
Welp.

And the dad is an asshole.
Both of Setsu's parent-types are focused on the legacy of Umeko's father, and aren't seeing Setsu as his own person, but a prize in their competition, each desiring to shape him differently than the other.
His dad is correct about one thing; Setsu does need exposure to other 'sounds', other styles of play, other schools of Shamisen, non-traditional as well as traditional music; he needs that so he can draw upon it when reacting with his audience.

I gotta say, MaiMai's mom is having to deal with a really screwed up husband. No wonder she's so wound up about everything. Gotta feel sorry for her and the kids (all of the kids).

Speaking of kids...MaiMai and Setsu's older brother are the most normal. Setsu's kinda odd, and Souichi is classic OCD; really classic, a textbook case.

There are a number of interesting personality types running around...like that's news to anyone!

It'll be interesting if the chap playing who had a string break will be able to go outside his comfort zone enough to work around that with the remaining two strings. The string breaking is gonna cost him points no matter what, but lost points from that beats the lost points from walking off the stage. In some ways, this may prove a really good thing to have happened to him, provided he can make himself do the needed improvisation upon a tune it'll require to complete things.

Then...provided they don't shove it to the final episode, it'll be Setsu.

This is still really good stuff.

This analysis sums the situation up nicely. Couldn't have said it better.
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM
Jul 2022
The variation of sounds and style from every individual and group is just amazing.

More topics from this board

» is there a chance for season 2?

moonichild - Jun 18, 2021

14 by ssourcandy »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2021

64 by Mweeee »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

129 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

120 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

53 by Hilomenchero »»
Sep 25, 2022 10:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.