Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 1, 2021 1:34 AM
Nov 2020
This anime are good
May 2, 2021 12:24 AM

May 2015
If you know Spanish, the ending song gave it away. The song is basically this arc summarized.
May 2, 2021 1:34 PM

Nov 2015
Oh Chief , why did this happen ...
The annoying part is that they took it happily , they were sad for like few hours and then nothing happened.
May 2, 2021 8:26 PM
Nov 2018
FUCK. RIP chief, you a real one. very rare that i felt so sad even though the death flags were so obvious. this was an awesome arc. wonder what joe will be up to now
May 2, 2021 10:27 PM

Sep 2011
Ahri-is-cute said:
Oh Chief , why did this happen ...
The annoying part is that they took it happily , they were sad for like few hours and then nothing happened.
Cause Chief got everything he wanted in the end and died peacefully. Its not that they arent sad its just they appreciate everything he did in the end. The man is finally with his family after protecting the one's left behind.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 5, 2021 3:22 AM

Mar 2009
The guy Chief was boxing was a massive piece of shit. Basically killed him.

Rest in peace, Chief. You were a great man.
May 19, 2021 2:30 AM
Jul 2017
Rip Chief. He was really a champion inside and outside the ring
Jun 1, 2021 9:51 AM

Feb 2009
I could see Chief's death coming from a mile away, super predictable and cliche. Chief dying killed the show for me, the best character of this series and he dies in 4 episodes lol. The Chief should have lived, him winning the tournament was the sign that a new life had also begun for him, moving forward from his past. Bad writing in my opinion, this will affect a lot my score for this sequel in the end.
Jun 5, 2021 2:00 AM

Aug 2018
You are great Chief
The chapter was great.
Jun 6, 2021 1:27 AM
Jun 2016
God that was rough. Rest in peace Chief. You went out a legend.
Jun 10, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2009
RIP Chief dang those punches in the back made him internally bleed i guess

but at least he went out as a hero buying the land legally for his fellow illegal immigrants
Jun 23, 2021 1:47 AM
Oct 2018
I thought I would try an episode dubbed, i started with this one and yikes those fake accents. Actors don't sound like that can pull it off why add them at that point it sounds
Bad no matter what way i look it but it might just be because I'm Hispanic. Does it sound fine to everyone else?
Jun 29, 2021 11:41 AM

Apr 2018
Ah man.. I thought that this was an action anime. It's breaking my hart. A happy first half, Chief won the tournament. Second half, he dies. I knew it. I just knew that he would die for some reason. But cause of this, Joe will move on. He promised him. This has such a different vibe compared to the first season. Amazing job with the sequel.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 9, 2021 3:56 PM

Aug 2018
poor Chief, he activated ALL the death flags...
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Aug 4, 2021 7:28 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Pretty stupid stuff. It would be a lot better if Chief suicided or smth.

This season's writing is so uninspired. Wtf happened to this show?

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 15, 2021 6:08 AM

Feb 2018
Rip Chief :'(. Happy for them finally owning the land and have a place they can call home. Joe inhereting Chief's Gear.. the feels :')
Aug 17, 2021 9:07 PM
Dec 2019
From one immigrant swan story to another... Giannis Antetokoumpo didn't sleep after his championship because he was afraid he'd wake up and it'd be a dream, which is what Chief said too. For those of you that don't know, Giannis grew up dirt poor in Greece before making it into the NBA. On the way from averaging 6 ppg to 29 ppg, he lost his father. But this year, the same year Megalo Box 2 came out, he won it all. And guess what? Giannis's family had immigrated to Greece from Nigeria and always felt like outsiders.

Now about Chief's death, I don't think it was necessary and it did little to change the ending of the story or reframe it. Though I guess you can say that it promoted the idea that sacrifice was needed to achieve that dream. However, I still think they handled the whole ordeal pretty tastefully because at least he didn't go down fighting in the ring itself like some character from Ashita no Joe. See, Chief died for his community. He didn't die because of some stupid shounen brinksmanship like in Ashita no Joe. They should've foreshadowed it better though, definitely.

Now some say the story is cliche and uninspired. I can't deny that in its entirety. But the authentic and genuine way they execute it negates some of that. What helps is that they're not going for melodramatics, which might lead people to think it's uninspired. They're not trying to make your emotions rise and fall and I highly respect it for that. It's a simple story, but told in an earnest, heartfelt way. Don't think that just because it's a simple story it's easy to execute and have the same level of effect, because it's another thing to have real heart behind it. Megalo Box Season 1 certainly had a simple underdog story but barring some parts it felt by-the-numbers.

SuperDuperSaiyan said:
I thought I would try an episode dubbed, i started with this one and yikes those fake accents. Actors don't sound like that can pull it off why add them at that point it sounds
Bad no matter what way i look it but it might just be because I'm Hispanic. Does it sound fine to everyone else?

I wanted to watch the dub because I thought hearing the accents would make for a better experience. It sounded fine to me, but Marla's voice actress seemed to struggle to convey her emotion with the accent. Or maybe that's just me, because it looks like her voice actress is hispanic.
Aug 19, 2021 9:33 AM

May 2020
Damn. I knew those shots to the back of his head were going to affect him and it pretty much cemented itself when he said he was scared of going to sleep. Chief was a pretty nice character and I'm glad his sacrifice wasn't in vain.
Sep 6, 2021 2:56 AM

Jul 2015
Already expected it somewhat with that scene of him peacefully falling to sleep but still sad to see Chief die. He was truly a great hero and definitely deserved the title of champion.

Oct 3, 2021 11:52 AM

May 2018
Chief died so suddenly T_T but why did he die? He looked all right before he went to sleep.
Oct 4, 2021 7:12 AM

Feb 2021
Damn Chief was an amazing character. Sad to see him go away. RIP

The immigrants got the land.

Mio has changed for the better now.

The goons have stopped targeting them now.

Looks like Joe is gonna take on a different path now.

Jan 29, 2022 1:43 AM

Aug 2020
Well that was...unexpected. I'm guessing he was murdered or something.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Feb 13, 2022 1:20 AM

Jun 2020
bro actually threatened him with a screwdriver XD. RIP Chief. It sucks that the guy punching his head so much probably killed him. I have no idea where this show is going from here on out

Rewatch Edit: Wow, if this anime ended here, it would’ve been the easiest 10/10 of my life. RIP Chief, I knew this was coming, but it was even more impactful than the first time πŸ₯Ί. I’m glad that Mio got out of the gang, the other kids understood that it’s not a lifestyle you want to be in, but I guess the one that was scolding Mio doesn’t understand that yet.
DumbAug 20, 2023 12:24 AM

Oct 25, 2022 12:19 PM
Nov 2010
Beautifully sad!!!
Mar 3, 2023 4:14 AM

Jan 2021
I don't like that his death isn't explained

Chief didn't wake up from his dream, it was the start and end of him after his wife and child died
Apr 13, 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to Belsel
arimaxmem said:
Atlos said:
I'm guessing from the injuries he sustained in his fight

oh, that makes sense

Seriously, he didnt die for the injuries he sustained in his fight. He was "perfectly" good at the party that night. Also, the damage he received was not particularly severe compared to what we have seen in any Joe battle.

Now, I really NEED that we discuss about Chief death. And I can't believe no one is talking about this.

In this chapter, Chief asks again if he was right to leave the country with his family and the fact that he is trying to build a new home. Somehow, when meeting Joe, the dream of him revives, but also the feelings towards his son and wife. I think he partly recalled the feelings of guilt. After winning, Chief says that he is afraid of falling asleep, and waking up to find that it was all a dream. It gives me the impression that Chief felt that he had fulfilled his duty and had settled his dream, and was prepared to die to be reunited with his family that he loved so much and that he had so present every day. He seems like he is going in peace to sleep ... as if ready to "go".

However, on the other hand, it seems that Chief wanted to continue his dream and fight Joe again. So I am somewhat confused. If one thing is clear, it is that Chief did not die from combat injuries, so I would like to hear your opinions.

So... yes, I think Chief commits suicide, and that the anime shows it very subtly. Besides, Joe doesn't seem surprised at all, nor does the boy's mother...on the contrary, it seems that they can even understand the reasons why he has committed suicide.
@Belsel the dude kept hitting chief behind his head, there's a famous clip of an MMA fighter who got hit behind his head ONCE and ended up completely paralyzed and almost like a different person mentally, it's a very serious place to get hit at, so yes, he died from the injuries in the fight
Apr 17, 10:45 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to lycan_
@Belsel the dude kept hitting chief behind his head, there's a famous clip of an MMA fighter who got hit behind his head ONCE and ended up completely paralyzed and almost like a different person mentally, it's a very serious place to get hit at, so yes, he died from the injuries in the fight
@lycan_ Hey! Wow, its been a while! It's been 3 years since we saw the series... some users definitely explained to us and debated the possibility of death due to illegal beatings, although many other users also think that he committed suicide. I thought it was suicide, but after this post, I changed my mind and think that it could have been either of the two options since both seem plausible to me.
May 24, 12:09 PM

May 2021
Didn’t expect chief to die like that
Wasn’t expecting that
It was really sudden but expected from all the hits to the back of the head he got from that fight
Inhales oxygen
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2021

48 by Meritas »»
May 31, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2021

155 by Karva1 »»
May 24, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2021

64 by Karva1 »»
May 24, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2021

87 by Karva1 »»
May 24, 11:43 AM

Poll: » Nomad: Megalo Box 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2021

116 by Meritas »»
Mar 22, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.