Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 25, 2018 7:22 AM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
I've seen this kind of criticism used for certain anime and I still don't understand how can an anime be pretentious. So what would make an anime pretentious?
Aug 25, 2018 7:25 AM

May 2014
Go watch Ergo Proxy or Angel's Egg if you haven't, and you'll see what it means.
Aug 25, 2018 7:29 AM
Aug 2016
Dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>inb4
elitists and their elitist shows are pretentious reee
Aug 25, 2018 7:31 AM

Apr 2016
DepravedMagi said:
how can an anime be pretentious.

Just go and watch:

Overlord
SnK
BNHA
Code Geass

And other shows that take themselves too seriously, and their fandoms thinks its the second coming of Christ.
Aug 25, 2018 7:31 AM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Swagernator said:
DepravedMagi said:

Just go and watch:

Overlord
SnK
BNHA
Code Geass

And other shows that take themselves too seriously.

I've seen all of them except overlord.
Aug 25, 2018 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
DepravedMagi said:
Swagernator said:

Just go and watch:

Overlord
SnK
BNHA
Code Geass

And other shows that take themselves too seriously.

I've seen all of them except overlord.

Then why are you here asking this question. At this point everything should be clear as day.
Aug 25, 2018 7:58 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Just a word people use while bashing a show to make them look smart while they do it
Aug 25, 2018 8:00 AM

Aug 2018
An anime can't be pretentious, but some anime fans definitely can.
Aug 25, 2018 8:14 AM

Dec 2017
here you go, as a reference. just copy and paste this in ur favs
uninstallthegameAug 25, 2018 9:13 AM
Aug 25, 2018 8:25 AM

Sep 2017
any anime i don't like is pretentious
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 25, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2018
Angel Egg, Serial Experiment Lain, Monster are pretentious.
Aug 25, 2018 8:28 AM

Nov 2016
i think if you spot the anime placing things that dont belong or trying to be deep by having weird crazy long speeches that mean nothing, or trying to be mysterious on basic ish.
some anime like flcl pull it off... many others just make you cringe when you notice it
Aug 25, 2018 8:29 AM

Jun 2017
Danganronpa is the definition of pretentious anime
Aug 25, 2018 8:29 AM
May 2014
Someone calling Angels Egg pretentious is the reason why anime can’t be great. Most anime fans are absolute idiots who have only seen one style consistently done and if anyone tries anything new, it’s “pretentious”. Apparently “pretentious” is making art more reminiscent of classical art house cinema than making another fast paced exposition heavy edge driven show.

Anime needs more works like “Angels Egg” and less of derivative dogshit like “Attack on Titan”.
VKDOOMAug 25, 2018 8:33 AM
Aug 25, 2018 8:39 AM

Oct 2010
Symbolism makes an anime seem pretentious. Look at rahxephon, if you aren't paying attention you won't understand the plot and the narrative. Whenever Quon speaks I get brain damage. Well, there's a bit of echi so you can watch it for that. In evangelion even echi is a symbol for something.
Aug 25, 2018 10:17 AM

Jan 2013
Catalano said:
Symbolism makes an anime seem pretentious. Look at rahxephon, if you aren't paying attention you won't understand the plot and the narrative. Whenever Quon speaks I get brain damage. Well, there's a bit of echi so you can watch it for that. In evangelion even echi is a symbol for something.
Come on now.
Some of it but not all of it.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 25, 2018 10:29 AM

Apr 2017
Elfen Lied is the first show that comes to my mind.
Aug 25, 2018 10:38 AM

Oct 2013
-Lightsbane- said:
An anime can't be pretentious, but some anime fans definitely can.

Fans definitely ruin things. It's why I'll never claim to be a huge fan of anything I like since I don't want to be lumped in with the crazier fans.
Aug 25, 2018 11:02 AM

Sep 2015
just watch the first few episodes of clASSroom of the elite and sagurada reset, and you would get a general idea.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Aug 25, 2018 11:08 AM

Aug 2016
I use that term when an anime tries to be smart and thought-provoking without solid writing to back those intentions up, with absolutely zero self-awareness of how silly it actually is.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 25, 2018 11:09 AM

Sep 2014
I think when an anime that go too overboard like Monogatari, its pretentious.
I mean a huge part of what they are showing and speaking it does not have anything at all to do with the message of the anime, its only there fór style and to look smart.
OtaMonkAug 25, 2018 11:13 AM
Smoke Weed Everyday
Aug 25, 2018 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
GangstaYangWenli said:
I think when an anime that go too overboard like Monogatari, its pretentious.
I mean a huge part of what they are showing and speaking it does not have anything at all to do with the message of the anime, its only there fór style and to look smart.
But it's a "deconstruction" and "subervision", it was intentionally made like that!
Is what they love to tell you.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 25, 2018 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
two words
ergo proxy
most pretentious anime to ever exist
Aug 25, 2018 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
"Pretentious" is most of the time just a word that people use to bash on shows they don't understand or get anything out of. They will tell you that an anime "tries to look smart" as if it was a fact, when in reality it's only how they interpret it. Sometimes, when you lack knowledge to understand certain ideas anime uses in it's narrative, you can't fully grasp what the purpose of their implementation is for. It's much more comfortable to assume that there can be no meaning, than to acknowledge a possibility of not having enough knowledge or intelligence . So the word "pretentious" is often just a result of a lack of understanding. People tend to confuse their personal experiences with facts. There are instances when an anime is written to promote specific ideology or philosophy, but a failure to deliver it( or the idea itself being stupid) is often a matter of poor writing, rather than pretending to be smart. This is how I see it.
Aug 25, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2017
Basically just something more concerned with appearing deep/sophisticated/intelligent than actually being so.
Aug 25, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
@Cabron you're reffering to eva I think, and yeah not all echi is symbolic. My favourite is when Asuka speaks about a comparison between the wall of jericho and her room door, and then we can see her lovely cleavage.
Aug 25, 2018 1:16 PM

Jul 2016
Every anime where there's a character who plays god is pretentious.

e.g.

Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo (Embryo)
Darling in the FranXX (Dr. Franxx)
Death Note (Light)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Gendou)

It doesn't get any simpler.
Aug 25, 2018 1:21 PM

Aug 2018
Uhh I don't think snk or bnha are pretentious, just their fandoms are :/ which is the case for a lot of anime.I think SimeonStylitses basically hit the nail on the head with his explanation.
Aug 25, 2018 1:36 PM

Apr 2018
Classroom of the elite
Classroom of the elite
Classroom of the elite
Aug 25, 2018 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
Something is pretentious when it uses script, cinematic sequence, or some other quality, that doesn't cohesively contribute to the narrative when addressed to its intended audience. For example, when a show aimed at teens drops obscure philosophical principles in its script, when the intended audience cannot reasonably be expected to judge the validity of what is being said, the reason for such a script cannot be to improve upon the plot, but to "impress" its viewers in a way that doesn't add to the narrative quality. A little bit of impressing is allowable to set the scene, but any amount of beating a dead bush can be considered pretentious.

Another example is when some cinematic cliche is used to exact some kind of emotional effect, such as a wind blowing over at the right moment, or its starts raining at some narrative conflict, or a character clenches his fists, or some overly depressive soundtrack replays... These all work in moderation, obviously, to accentuate the plot, but when they are dropped in the work liberally, as if the director was too smart for his own good, it becomes pretentious.

There's some measure of subjectivity, based on individual understanding or grasping of certain subtext, or sensitivity to the techniques used, sensitivity to emotional manipulation, etc. The first time you saw a zoom in of a character clenching his fist, you might have really felt it. After the 1000th time, it is just cheesy. Instead of organic storytelling, it becomes a point to hit.

If you told a joke and messed up, you might be seen as quirky and people laugh it off. If you told a joke and messed up on purpose, and keep messing up on purpose to achieve the same effect, you might lose all your friends.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 25, 2018 2:08 PM

Dec 2016
When it's made in such a way that it seems to be screaming "look at me, look how different and superior I am!!"
Aug 25, 2018 2:13 PM

Feb 2014
DepravedMagi said:
I've seen this kind of criticism used for certain anime and I still don't understand how can an anime be pretentious. So what would make an anime pretentious?

Almost no anime is pretentious per se. Most of the cases it is just it's fanbase saying they're deeper than they actually are (Think AKIRA and EVA theories).

A pretentious anime would be one that sells itself as more deep/complex than it really is, usually being shallow in what it proposes.
Aug 25, 2018 6:41 PM

May 2018
Ericonator said:
Go watch Ergo Proxy or Angel's Egg if you haven't, and you'll see what it means.

Evangelion and Angel's Egg are two of the most pretentious anime. Critics and fans always like to overanalyzed anime on something that isn't there.

Evangelion Christian symbolism are just there to look cool, no deep theme or symbolism behind it.

There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff

As for Angel's Egg, the director and writer himself, Mamoru Oshii stated he does not know what the film is about. Critics overanalyze Angel's Egg.

Oshii himself has stated he does not know what the film is about.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel%27s_Egg#Themes

You can tell an anime is pretentious when fans/critics overpraise the anime for something the director/writer/author not intended to put in there.
Papa_ScorchAug 25, 2018 6:48 PM
Aug 25, 2018 7:07 PM

Feb 2016
Gorochu said:
Ericonator said:

Evangelion and Angel's Egg are two of the most pretentious anime. Critics and fans always like to overanalyzed anime on something that isn't there.

Evangelion Christian symbolism are just there to look cool, no deep theme or symbolism behind it.

There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff

As for Angel's Egg, the director and writer himself, Mamoru Oshii stated he does not know what the film is about. Critics overanalyze Angel's Egg.

Oshii himself has stated he does not know what the film is about.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel%27s_Egg#Themes

You can tell an anime is pretentious when fans/critics overpraise the anime for something the director/writer/author not intended to put in there.

I get lowkey shocked everytime i see someone that thinks Evangelion's fans praises it because of the religious symbolism. It has nothing to do with the overal message of the show and i don't see why the fact that it's only there because of the aesthetics should change anything
Aug 25, 2018 7:24 PM

Apr 2018
I don't use that word because it just screams "I don't like this anime so instead of properly criticizing it I'll just call it a pretentious anime for elitist scum" (that's just me though, feel free to disagree)

Really though, it comes mostly from the dialogue and the way its presented. Sprinkle in some philosophy and symbolism and you get a recipe for disaster (half the people watching it going "ermehgard this is the deepest shit I've ever seen 10/10 lemme write a 20 page essay about it" and the other half going "this is pretentious dogshit wtf lol imma write a 20 page essay about it")

Everything ends up bring a super hit-or-miss coin toss so really you should use your own judgment to decide and not anyone else's
Imperio_nAug 25, 2018 7:28 PM
Aug 25, 2018 7:41 PM

Jan 2017
Swagernator said:
DepravedMagi said:

Just go and watch:

Overlord
SnK
BNHA
Code Geass

And other shows that take themselves too seriously, and their fandoms thinks its the second coming of Christ.

But - as you identified - the *fandoms* tend to cause a decent amount of the issue here. I'm a fan of all of those - especially BnHA & SnK - but I'm on a nice peaceful deserted island in the sea of degeneracy that is most fandoms.

Aug 25, 2018 7:58 PM

May 2009
DepravedMagi said:
I'm not really too sure either, but I think it has something to do with a combination of heavy use of unexplained elements and/or symbolism, and some amount of having a confusing storyline but doing it while having an overall feeling of mystique such that it feels sophisticated.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 25, 2018 8:29 PM

Oct 2017
i think a lot of the time it's the fanbase that makes it pretentious, as in the fanbase praising it for something that it wasn't originally intended to say. it makes it look that way when it's really just misinterpreted
Aug 25, 2018 8:40 PM

Mar 2015
pretentious is a label when it people take it too deeply something the series it self doesn't intended it... so tha fault land on fanbases, not the series it self... people who ciriticizes the series using pretentious word is ironically pretentious themself...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 25, 2018 11:48 PM

Jan 2018
Try watching glasslip, finish it and get back to me if you still don't get it. It's only my opinion so you can beg me, get down on your knees if you have to disagree.

Smh even MAL made me become pretentious with this long reply when I just wanted to say watch x anime, it sucks.
Aug 26, 2018 1:02 AM

Aug 2014
I like Ergo Proxy because Descartes won't give me better examples of his cogito ergo sum in Meditations I, except for when he spoke of the scenario in which he does not know the difference between awakened state and dreaming state. The anime explored it to some extent.

Yay, I'm pretentious.

Lain is actually the author time-travelling from the future.

Btw, what is the border between most shounen and pretentiousness then, by definition? If something pretends, or purports to be, aren't most shounen like that? Kuroko no Basket, Yugioh, Dragonballz, Toriko, etc.

Aug 26, 2018 1:04 AM

Mar 2016
when the author's writing gets a lil too far up his/her own ass
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 26, 2018 1:07 AM

Aug 2014
Aure0lin said:
when the author's writing gets a lil too far up his/her own ass

Like Grand Blue. Barely surfaced his ass on diving and because it's too boring for him switched to an altogether different focus. lel
Aug 26, 2018 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
Some anime try to adopt a certain style. When it doesn't do it well, it is called pretentious

Calling out something for trying is a bit stupid though
Aug 26, 2018 5:49 AM

Aug 2018
DepravedMagi said:

It’s when an anime tries to be d33p but can be easily broken down, for example:

NGE looks very d33p, but it’s just an SoL monster of the week

Elfen Lied tries to look d33p, but anyone can tell it’s just a really edgy ecchi
Aug 26, 2018 6:30 AM

Aug 2017
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e. At the start of every episode, there is a phrase taken from several authors,. The anime is just a generic adaptation from a VN that tries to be smart with random quotes. I can't take it seriously when there is fanservice and dumb characters. Pretentious.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 26, 2018 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
tokyo ghoul as for me
it tries to be something unique but its not

More topics from this board

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 1 hour ago

2 by Ricchan__ »»
10 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 2 hours ago

12 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1029 by Neptune42 »»
22 minutes ago

» Saddest Anime Character Deaths

Henrique-Senpai - 3 hours ago

7 by Ricchan__ »»
35 minutes ago

» How does MAL ratings system work

Aryan-0_0 - Dec 27, 2022

20 by kizumi91 »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.