Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2014 9:19 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
After a considerable amount of time more than I would ever like to admit to, I am pleased to finally announce our new Review/Recommendation Moderators to you:
Please be sure to give them a warm welcome here and/or on their profiles!

All applicants needed to undergo two rounds of applications after the initial call for nominations, the second round consisting of an elaborate test used to judge the candidates' understanding of the guidelines and ability to communicate with users. Factored into this test were also their general conduct, activity level on the site, dedication to review/recs and English skills.

After the first round, we had 23 applicants. 18 candidates then completed Kineta's sadistic test for the second round. A big thank you again to everyone that participated in nominating candidates, submitted applications in the first round, and slaved through completed the application test! Regretfully, we could not take every applicant.

There will, however, likely be a second round of applicants hired in 4-6 weeks - after the current moderators get ramped up and we have a better idea of how many more hands we need. These applicants will come from the previous candidates (and they have an idea of who they are), so we will not be taking any new applications for quite some time. If you are interested in the position, I suggest that you keep reporting reviews/recommendations with useful comments illustrating your knowledge of the guidelines and perhaps there will be a place for you on the team sometime in the future.

Some other important points with respect to reviews/recs and Review/Rec Moderators:

More info on new forum mods to come veeeeeeeery soon.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 19, 2014 9:23 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Welcome to the team.

Give 'em hell!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 19, 2014 9:25 AM
Mar 2013
Welcome to the team everyone! ^^
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Jan 19, 2014 9:58 AM

Aug 2008
Welcome and have fun with the queue work!
Jan 19, 2014 9:59 AM

Jul 2012
Thanks everyone, my body is ready for the queue.

[prepares body]
Jan 19, 2014 10:06 AM

Apr 2012
Congratulations and good luck ^.^~
Jan 19, 2014 10:15 AM
Jan 2013
Congratulations! <3
Jan 19, 2014 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
Congratulations and good luck. ^^
Jan 19, 2014 10:22 AM

May 2013
I wish you guys luck.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jan 19, 2014 10:26 AM

Feb 2013
Congratulations, of course if they get something from doing that, I wouldn't see myself doing anything for free.
Jan 19, 2014 10:33 AM

Feb 2012
Congratulations and good luck :) we desperately needed you all.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jan 19, 2014 10:43 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Welcome to the team :)

I'll be expecting grammatically excellent reviews and recommendations!
NaruleachJan 19, 2014 11:02 AM
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 19, 2014 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
Congratulations
Jan 19, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2012
Well, it'll be interesting to say the least. Congrats!
Jan 19, 2014 11:58 AM

Apr 2011
Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4AtqUkfd_c

Kill them all! Revolution has finally come!
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Jan 19, 2014 12:37 PM

Sep 2011
Congrats and thanks for all your hard work.
Jan 19, 2014 12:54 PM

Oct 2011
Congrats everyone!!
Jan 19, 2014 1:04 PM

Jul 2013
Yes! Yeeesss!!! I literally just shouted for joy!!!
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 19, 2014 1:18 PM

Mar 2008
Fun to see some of the elves up there. :)

Congratulations and good luck to all of you.

Jan 19, 2014 1:28 PM

Mar 2012
So many kawaii people on that list, espeically Hidden_Joker. Good luck y'all.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 19, 2014 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
I don't know most of them but I hope they can do their job without problems regardless.
Jan 19, 2014 1:59 PM

Feb 2008
Yay.

Jan 19, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2010
Veronin said:
Yay.

Kineta addressed that in her post.
Jan 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Aug 2012
Congratulations you guys.

Time to annoy the crap out of Joker heh heh.
Jan 19, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2012
Congrats and welcome to the team!!!
Jan 19, 2014 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
What about reviews that have been reported a long time ago, like the first one here and here? Will they be taken care of, too?
Demi Valentine

Jan 19, 2014 2:19 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Jan 19, 2014 2:30 PM
Aug 2010
Thank you for the warm welcome. We can't fix everything but I hope we will make the reporting system more responsive and overall browsing anime-manga review pages / recent reviews faster and easier.

Demi_V said:
What about reviews that have been reported a long time ago, like the first one here and here? Will they be taken care of, too?
It's the first thing we will deal with. But the queue is extremely long and I estimate it will take one to three weeks to clear it.
lpfJan 19, 2014 2:36 PM

Jan 19, 2014 2:31 PM

Apr 2012
Demi_V said:
Yes, any and all reviews/recommendations that have already been reported will be looked over and dealt with accordingly.

Please do note, however, that there are 7 Review/Rec moderators and an extremely long reported review backlog, meaning that each of us will have to individually handle quite a few reports on average, not counting any new reports that come in the meantime.

As such, please bear with us as we get the ball rolling while remaining mindful that things will start off rather slowly as we get more used to the position and will smooth out over time.
AndyRayyJan 19, 2014 2:36 PM

Jan 19, 2014 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Congrats to those chosen!
Jan 19, 2014 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
lpf said:
Demi_V said:
It's the first thing we will deal with. But the queue is extremely long and I estimate it will take one to three weeks to clear it.
AndyRayy said:
Yes, any and all reviews/recommendations that have already been reported will be looked over and dealt with accordingly.

Please do note, however, that there are 7 Review/Rec moderators and an extremely long reported review backlog, meaning that each of us will have to individually handle quite a few reports on average, not counting any new reports that come in the meantime.

As such, please bear with us as we get the ball rolling while remaining mindful that things will start off rather slowly as we get more used to the position and will smooth out over time.

Thanks for the prompt responses! Good luck!
Demi Valentine

Jan 19, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2012
brrr said:
So many kawaii people on that list, espeically Hidden_Joker. Good luck y'all.

Oh Mahou Kony. Stop changing your name dammit I didn't realize who you were at first.

MellowJello said:

Come at me onii chan. My ready is body.

Thanks for the welcome everyone
Jan 19, 2014 3:30 PM

Jun 2007
Oh good, you put in two people who are very biased and have (seperate) cliques of circlejerk friends they will never moderate properly within reviews and recommendations.

Great.
Jan 19, 2014 3:43 PM

Mar 2013
As said to every user separately, I will be expecting much from the entire team.
There is a lot of work to do, so get to it, you dogs! ;)

As for the part where Kineta has mentioned the alternative/duplicate accounts... She is not oversizing the actions she plans to take when saying that. Take my word on it, I know. Best be a good boy/girl and go with the (unpleasant) flow, until hopefully, some actually helpful system changes will take action. Some actual control and auto-prevention, not being a trust game with heavy circumstances.

Eh, but that's not the topic of this thread.
Wish you best of luck (skill & knowledge before that), peeps! :)

TallonKarrde23 said:
Oh good, you put in two people who are very biased and have (seperate) cliques of circlejerk friends they will never moderate properly within reviews and recommendations.

Great.

... Seems like I'm not the only one who has spotted that...
Well, I can say that for one user that got picked, not two, but I can be almost certain on that one that he/she is not really a wise pick...
Regardless, let's give every one of them a chance, okay? (I'll keep a close eye on them) *Creepy background music*
SubbedJan 19, 2014 3:48 PM
Jan 19, 2014 3:50 PM

Jun 2007
Peiale said:

... Seems like I'm not the only one who has spotted that...
Well, I can say that for one user that got picked, not two, but I can be almost certain on that one that he/she is not really a wise pick...
Regardless, let's give every one of them a chance, okay? (I'll keep a close eye on them) *Creepy background music*

I'm going to assume we're agreeing on who that same 'one' is - I'd ask you to please PM Kineta about it so that there is more than just myself speaking up about this to her. Even if you only take a couple minutes to throw together a PM, please do so. This is an egregious error. As for the second, I thought about it some more and that is not such an issue.

The idea to give everyone a chance is fine - however that doesn't mean you should not at least let Kineta know your issue with this. The users of the site know more than a leader who, and this isn't a complaint, simply can't be expected to know everyone as well as the users will. Your opinion would definitely at least give her some reason to keep an eye on that new mod and/or reconsider their position.
TallonKarrde23Jan 19, 2014 3:55 PM
Jan 19, 2014 3:56 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

"Hopefully" and "next few months" don't leave me very optimistic. The votebombing issue pretty much makes MAL reviewing a waste of time, as one troll has made it their mission to destroy every active writer on this site. I can't write another review right now, for example, because it will inevitably result in all my reviews being unhelpful bombed again.

The new review moderators are cool and all, but that only gets rid of the spam and blatant trolling. The main issue still remains, and as far as I can tell, we're never going to see it fixed.
Jan 19, 2014 3:56 PM

Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
I'm going to assume we're agreeing on who that same 'one' is - I'd ask you to please PM Kineta about it so that there is more than just myself speaking up about this to her. Even if you only take a couple minutes to throw together a PM, please do so. This is an egregious error. As for the second, I thought about it some more and that is not such an issue.

The idea to give everyone a chance is fine - however that doesn't mean you should not at least let Kineta know your issue with this. The users of the site know more than a leader who, and this isn't a complaint, simply can't be expected to know everyone as well as the users will. Your opinion would definitely at least give her some reason to keep an eye on that new mod and/or reconsider their position.

To prevent from going into a tad too negative discussion, I've posted a comment on your profile.
I do agree with you. An extra pair of eyes (with power) can do no harm. Quite the opposite.

Veronin said:
The new review moderators are cool and all, but that only gets rid of the spam and blatant trolling. The main issue still remains, and as far as I can tell, we're never going to see it fixed.

Being all realistic, their only duties will be to remove troll/spam reviews, as well as reviews that would be submitted far too early.
There is quite a lot of hype around them, but looking at what they can actually do, almost no bigger changes will be made. Just the current low-modding will be done faster.

Contrary to the popular belief, the reviews will not gain on quality, the community will stay haunted, and the whole land of reviews will still stay a hell zone.
As long as the current system stays, greed and sadistic overpowering will take action. Mods and promises can be given, but I'll only praise them once some actual positive changes are seen. Wanted changes. Needed changes.
SubbedJan 19, 2014 4:07 PM
Jan 19, 2014 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
MellowJello said:

Feb 2008
Peiale said:
Veronin said:

Being all realistic, their only duties will be to remove troll/spam reviews, as well as reviews that would be submitted far too early.
There is quite a lot of hype around them, but looking at what they can actually do, almost no bigger changes will be made. Just the current low-modding will be done faster.

Contrary to the popular belief, the reviews will not gain on quality, the community will stay haunted, and the whole land of reviews will still stay a hell zone.
As long as the current system stays, greed and sadistic overpowering will take action. Mods and promises can be given, but I'll only praise them once some actual positive changes are seen. Wanted changes. Needed changes.

Pretty much. All the review moderators can really do is raise the bare minimum for quality, while those who put effort into their reviews and submit them actively are still left to fend for themselves and watch their reviews die overnight.

I don't even understand why this is happening either. It's not like they have a personal grudge against the reviewer or dislike the review itself or anything. They just attack everyone indiscriminately. It doesn't matter what anime it is. It doesn't matter what score you gave it. It doesn't matter if it's your best or your worst review-- it will get votebombed eventually.

Reviews take a lot of time to create. If Crave isn't going to protect its writers, then what motivation do we have for writing here? Frustration and wasted effort? Doesn't seem so appealing to me.

The depressing thing is that no matter how easy it is to implement a change, we will never be able to do anything about it since Crave doesn't care. MAL is a dying website and it's only a matter of time until things die completely. The review moderators just seem to be delaying the inevitable.

(That said, I still applaud Kineta for doing her best here. It's just a shame that she's the only one who cares.)

Mar 2013
Snax-chan said:
I believe the distribution of Rev/Rec titles is one step closer to making MAL better. It will never be perfect, and I think Kineta is working hard towards a better MAL, and takes everything into account. As for now, I realize you guys have high expecations, which you should, and we'll do our best to fulfill those.

Believing is one thing, while sharing the result on the paper is something completely different. However, that comes through time, and you've just started, so that's no issue there (yet).
Not only that it will never be perfect, but it will never even come close. Far from that. Kineta might be trying to get things done, but as said, I'll be evaluating the results along the way, not promises and empty words.
I'm trying to have my expectations as low as possible, to be honest. Such an action has been suggested by Kineta herself for any changes done on MAL in general. I'm really pumped when it comes to the matter of reviews, so guys and gals, don't let me down or make me regret it! ;)
Jan 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2010
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

"Hopefully" and "next few months" don't leave me very optimistic. The votebombing issue pretty much makes MAL reviewing a waste of time, as one troll has made it their mission to destroy every active writer on this site. I can't write another review right now, for example, because it will inevitably result in all my reviews being unhelpful bombed again.

That's how you feel and it's fine, doesn't change that she's addressed it. I think reviews are partly written for yourself so I don't see it as useless, their downvotes can't affect the words in your post. And it's your choice on whether to continue for now or if you'll wait for Xinil to implement it, If you keep then, then when Kineta is able to delete the troll accounts, all your reviews will rise.

Then why are you asking if there's a fix yet and why are you still writing reviews if you so believe it won't ever get fixed?
Jan 19, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2007
IntroverTurtle said:

Then why are you asking if there's a fix yet and why are you still writing reviews if you so believe it won't ever get fixed?

For attention.
Jan 19, 2014 4:36 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

That's how you feel and it's fine, doesn't change that she's addressed it. I think reviews are partly written for yourself so I don't see it as useless, their downvotes can't affect the words in your post. And it's your choice on whether to continue for now or if you'll wait for Xinil to implement it, If you keep then, then when Kineta is able to delete the troll accounts, all your reviews will rise.

A review is written for an audience. A blog or a journal is written for yourself. It's natural to want to share your opinion with other people, and when you put three, five, or even ten hours into writing a review, don't you want at least a tiny reward for it? I'm in university now and can't really justify spending hours per review when one child has the power to destroy it a day later. My only option right now is to wait a few more weeks and hope that he'll have gotten bored by the next time I write one.
Jan 19, 2014 4:37 PM

Jun 2007
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

A review is written for an audience. A blog or a journal is written for yourself. It's natural to want to share your opinion with other people, and when you put three, five, or even ten hours into writing a review, don't you want at least a tiny reward for it? I'm in university now and can't really justify spending hours per review when one child has the power to destroy it a day later. My only option right now is to wait a few more weeks and hope that he'll have gotten bored by the next time I write one.

Your review is not "destroyed" by votes on a website. The content is still 100% the same. If you are writing purely for 'more people to see it' then you are writing for the wrong reasons as no writer would ever write simply for the view count, which is admittedly a whole different conversation so I won't get into it. The point is the content is unchanged no matter how many negative votes it gets. Acting like a billion downvotes makes your writing quality somehow get worse is just inaccurate and you blowing something insignificant out of proportion.

If people like your writing or feel you have something worth reading, they will find your reviews - whether they are on the front of the anime's page or not.

If you are purely writing for attention then I'd still, as always, suggest rethinking that. Otherwise, stop caring about the votes, you get actual feedback plenty through other means.
TallonKarrde23Jan 19, 2014 4:40 PM
Jan 19, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2012
But congrats to lpf and Joker! They're the only people I know. :P
Congrats to the others. <3
rodacJan 19, 2014 5:25 PM
Jan 19, 2014 4:42 PM

Oct 2012
Welcome and good luck!
Jan 19, 2014 4:54 PM

Feb 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Your review is not "destroyed" by votes on a website. The content is still 100% the same. If you are writing purely for 'more people to see it' then you are writing for the wrong reasons as no writer would ever write simply for the view count, which is admittedly a whole different conversation so I won't get into it. The point is the content is unchanged no matter how many negative votes it gets. Acting like a billion downvotes makes your writing quality somehow get worse is just inaccurate and you blowing something insignificant out of proportion.

If people like your writing or feel you have something worth reading, they will find your reviews - whether they are on the front of the anime's page or not.

If you are purely writing for attention then I'd still, as always, suggest rethinking that. Otherwise, stop caring about the votes, you get actual feedback plenty through other means.

It eliminates any point in writing a review when your review reaches nobody. People write reviews because they want other people to see it. Reviews are inherently a form of consumer protection. Without an audience, there is no review. If that is attention-seeking to you then feel free to believe so.

And MAL has designed the reviewing system in such a way that helpfuls/unhelpfuls determine whether or not your review is seen by anybody. When one kid comes and votes down all your reviews 15-20 times over night, you have a damn good reason to be pissed. Reviews are very personal. It's like an author writing a book and not caring if it succeeds or fails. Doesn't happen. Every single reviewer on this site cares how their reviews are received. They would write on a blog if they didn't want feedback.
Jan 19, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
Veronin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

It eliminates any point in writing [...] when [it] reaches nobody..

Better start working for Kotaku with that kind of thinking. Rev up that click bait.
Jan 19, 2014 5:04 PM

Feb 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Veronin said:
It eliminates any point in writing [...] when [it] reaches nobody..

Better start working for Kotaku with that kind of thinking. Rev up that click bait.

Right, because the only articles with high traffic are worthless clickbait.
Jan 19, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2012
Kineta said:

• Hidden_Joker
  • Congrats babe.
    Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
    5 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
    Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
    Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
    Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
    Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.