Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 18, 2008 1:28 AM

Apr 2007
Dang, this looks great.
I am so far loving the music. The opening was orgasmic.

What's HELLA scary is that the priest's voice sounds JUUUUST like my uncle, rofl.
lovescreamOct 18, 2008 1:39 AM

Oct 18, 2008 1:45 AM

Jun 2008
wow it looks promising
Oct 18, 2008 1:50 AM

Dec 2007
De-JaY said:
Oh the one scene reminded me of something...

rofl, nice editing

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Oct 18, 2008 1:50 AM

Jul 2008
dropdead said:
Dang, this looks great.
I am so far loving the music. The opening was orgasmic.

What's HELLA scary is that the priest's voice sounds JUUUUST like my uncle, rofl.

That is freaky!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 18, 2008 1:52 AM

Apr 2007
angel999 said:

Who is this guy?????? Has same tatoo as Michiko.

OMG. Foreshadowing?!!?
[Haha, English class comes in handy here]
I did NOT notice that whatsoever! What's great is that Hachi actually noticed Michiko's tattoo. Definitely a sign for something.

Oct 18, 2008 2:41 AM

Mar 2008
It was interesting.

Mainly the great OP, unique art style and mood. Story was only "ok". Didn't like any of the characters so far.

I can't see how this is original. Nearly the same plot as "Daughter of twenty faces" in episode 1, though I admit I don't know which source was the first and I also know that nearly nothing story wise in any anime is really original.

I hope it will get better.
Oct 18, 2008 6:34 AM

Jul 2008
was quite suprised, thought this would turn out more ecchi and comedy like, btw. like the style and music.....can't wait for next ep....:)
Take a look at the world and laugh. -Januzs Korczak
Oct 18, 2008 7:51 AM

Sep 2007
Pretty good first episode here. Can't wait to see what else comes from this since obviously the story hasn't really started yet.
Oct 18, 2008 8:32 AM

Jun 2008
I loved every second of it. Awesome.
Oct 18, 2008 10:54 AM
Dec 2007
I hate Hana. Absolutely hate her. I hate weak characters like her. But I was glad that she was able to at least punch Maria.

Overall review: Michiko is hot.
Oct 18, 2008 11:39 AM

Feb 2008
RaitoTheReaper said:
I hate Hana. Absolutely hate her. I hate weak characters like her.

Weak characters? She's a kid for crying out loud! And the one with no family or friends to turn for help. I think she's pretty strong considering the circumstances.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2008 11:43 AM

Sep 2008
sanjica said:
RaitoTheReaper said:
I hate Hana. Absolutely hate her. I hate weak characters like her.

Weak characters? She's a kid for crying out loud! And the one with no family or friends to turn for help. I think she's pretty strong considering the circumstances.

I agree Hana is one tough little girl.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 18, 2008 12:10 PM

Apr 2008
I honestly wasn't expecting much from this, a big-breasted female for fanservice and a vaguely amusing loli at best.

What I got? Pure awesome. I love the setting, the art, what little we've seen of the characters. Really hope they manage to keep this up throughout the series. Also, Hana bitchslapping her 'sister'? Most satisfying scene I've seen all week.
Oct 18, 2008 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
Surprisingly good!
Only disappointment was that the priest, his wife, and the two bully children weren't killed. Seems like Michiko isn't all that violent. Pity. The bitchslapping scene was fun, though... just wish it would have carried further.

However! injustice aside, good episode. Will definitely watch more.
Oct 18, 2008 2:43 PM

Apr 2007
I should have known trusted Manglobe more. The show has faaar surpassed my expectations already, this looks like it's gonna be one hell of a ride~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2008 5:40 PM
Aug 2008
Really surprised by this. This came out of nowhere for me. I really like the other stuff Manglobe has made.
Oct 18, 2008 6:35 PM

Apr 2007
heh, this is going to be interesting, since I'm brazilian and all. it was an ok episode.

but zomg I just loved the ending!
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Oct 18, 2008 10:25 PM

Sep 2007
Jeeze... another promising series. I'm not going to get any work done until next spring.
Oct 18, 2008 11:14 PM

Mar 2008
Sleeper hit!
Oct 19, 2008 3:08 AM
Dec 2007
So Hatchin is Cinderella/Cosette. Well, not original but quite well rendered on screen and well directed too. Very nice introduction, very Manglobe/Watanabe-ish, very stylish with great animation and action scenes. It's pretty much like Samurai Champloo with a Cowboy Bebop feel, exactly what I expected of this first episode, nothing more, nothing less. Seen a hundred times though but still good...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 19, 2008 11:02 AM

Sep 2007
Interesting, lets see how it will goes.

Oct 19, 2008 2:02 PM
Oct 2008
That was a great first episode. Michiko is kinda awesome and Hana was surprisingly likable, glad she beat the crap out of her supposed "sister." It'll be interesting to see what the plot turns out to be about, except you know, Michiko kicking ass and looking good. ^_^;
Oct 19, 2008 5:49 PM
Feb 2008
Very cool start. It's got that Champloo feel although I would have preferred Watanabe directing rather than acting as sound producer. Still it's promising enough and I love the voice cast already, very odd and all the better for it. High hopes for this show then.

Oct 20, 2008 1:41 AM

Mar 2008
8GaugeBrett said:
This series looks extremely promising right from the get-go. If it can keep up the animation quality and build a good story in the next 2-3 episode I think we've got a definite winner on our hands.

yup something like that, I figured that the show would either be good or bad and nothing in between so it looks like its going for the first rather than later thankfully
Oct 20, 2008 6:57 PM

Nov 2007
great start. this is on of the few animes that actually had my emotions boiling hoping for the worst for that p.o.s. family. i really like the artwork and op/ed bc it is so different from what is normally seen.
Oct 20, 2008 7:42 PM

Jul 2007
I like this show, but at the same time I keep seeing all the little things like:

A Catholic priest is married and has children?
Shotguns make precise bullet holes?

Also, just all the cultural (foods, etc) things seem off. I know I'm nitpicking but it does kind of stand out to me. I guess these are things that people in Japan wouldn't know/care about, and I like the art and story so far, so I'm definitely planning to follow this show.
Oct 20, 2008 8:50 PM

Mar 2008
_k1_ said:
I like this show, but at the same time I keep seeing all the little things like:

Shotguns make precise bullet holes?

Also, just all the cultural (foods, etc) things seem off. I know I'm nitpicking but it does kind of stand out to me. I guess these are things that people in Japan wouldn't know/care about, and I like the art and story so far, so I'm definitely planning to follow this show.

well so hes a ghetto priest
shotguns can make bullet holes, they could use different amo, like slugs
Oct 20, 2008 8:55 PM

Jan 2008
For the story, what an intro featuring a cruel foster family.

I like the graphics especially the colored and textured background scenes. This one is unique style this season.

Haha, I agree about Michiko. Exotic beauty. Oh, nice ED btw.
Oct 21, 2008 2:49 AM
Feb 2008
i dont know, but i cringe when i see a helpless kid getting beat up like that. fucking hypocritical parents and their hunger for child care money. ewwwww
Oct 21, 2008 2:54 AM

Jan 2008
nihil said:
but zomg I just loved the ending!
Same here :D
Oct 21, 2008 8:00 AM

Jun 2008
QuothTheRaven said:
I honestly wasn't expecting much from this, a big-breasted female for fanservice and a vaguely amusing loli at best.

What I got? Pure awesome. I love the setting, the art, what little we've seen of the characters. Really hope they manage to keep this up throughout the series. Also, Hana bitchslapping her 'sister'? Most satisfying scene I've seen all week.

This. Exactly.

I wasn't expecting much, but by the end, was pleasantly surprised. And am totally looking forward to the following episodes! Hana is amazing, tbh.
Oct 21, 2008 12:51 PM

Aug 2007
RaitoTheReaper said:
I hate Hana. Absolutely hate her. I hate weak characters like her. But I was glad that she was able to at least punch Maria.

Overall review: Michiko is hot.

There's many different kind of strengths XP
I think Michiko has a very strong heart... putting up with something doesn't always mean you're a wipped dog...

This is definatly my favorite series of the season excluding some second season series like Gundam and Nodame~ I'm trying to tell everyone about it... but they kind of just give me faces like this O.o~
Oct 21, 2008 11:43 PM
May 2008
Very promising start. I definitely look forward to future episodes of this series. ^^
Oct 22, 2008 1:04 PM

Feb 2008
Good start. But I still have to see some more episodes to be convinced that this is something above average.
Oct 22, 2008 1:45 PM

Sep 2008
It sucks there won't be an episode 2 this week because of a stupid soccer game.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 22, 2008 3:02 PM

Nov 2007
First thing I planned to watch coming into this season, and the last one I did end up starting. Exactly what I was hoping for, really enjoyed the style, and the Maria beatdown.
Oct 23, 2008 3:02 AM

Jun 2007
_k1_ said:
I believe there is a policy in the Catholic Church that allows already married men who join the clergy to keep their wives, though more likely Manglobe just didn't do their homework.

Probably inadvertently then, this excuse actually defines the family a bit sharper. Brazil is a predominantly Catholic nation, so generally any priestly figure would be well respected within their community. Hana's foster parents obviously seem a lot more concerned over their own public image than actual services of worship, so it's conceivable that as a like-minded couple they thought taking a religious position would boost their social standing.

No idea about the shotgun holes, but that's really kind of a Does Anyone Really Care thing.
Oct 23, 2008 12:00 PM

Jan 2008
2 words -- epic win!
The art is awesome, same goes for the characters and the soundtrack!
Michiko is way too cool :D I liked her since the moment I saw her on the poster (and from the trailer too) buu~t when I saw her 'in action' I was like totally 'awesome character!'
Poor Hatchin tho /: I felt so sorry for her >_> Her family totally sucked and treated her like crap boo ):

Michiko to Hatchin went straight to my top autumn animes :D looking forward to episode 2 ^^
We're all insane
Oct 24, 2008 6:16 PM

Jun 2007
Great first episode. It started out with a fun prison breakout sequence, then switched to the viewpoint of a poor little girl who was with an evil family, meaning the episode blended silliness with a serious edge. I loved the visuals, the range of vivid colours used being excellent, and the art/animation wasn't exactly bad in 720P.

No idea what the story is going to be like yet since the focus of the first episode was on getting the main two together and not on filling the viewers in with regards to the plot. After seeing the blend of silly and serious in the first episode, there's a good chance the series will be fairly interesting even if it's going to be completely episodic, so I'm not too worried at the moment.

There was one thing that bugged me about Hana: her voice actress. The voice and the character didn't match; the voice sounded far older than the young character. I liked her voice but it just didn't sound right to me...
Oct 25, 2008 10:32 PM

Sep 2008
really.. is epic...
was awsome....
Oct 26, 2008 6:24 AM
Aug 2008
I just finished the first ep and I got my hopes up because of the attention it recieved. Darn, it's good! It far exceeded my expectations, the art and animation is fabulous, the characters are very good and I loved the music. Especially the OP, the whole retro-'70's style was original.

I'm very interested about where this story will go, will Michiko and Hana go on a journey together? Or was this a flashback and will we get to see a grown-up Hana? I got the feeling an adult women was telling the story whenever Hana wasnt talking.. I'm also quite interested about the gang, L.B.B.D.
I think this will become one of my favorites!
Oct 27, 2008 9:49 PM

Jun 2008
CuttingEdge said:
Or was this a flashback and will we get to see a grown-up Hana? I got the feeling an adult women was telling the story whenever Hana wasnt talking.. I'm also quite interested about the gang, L.B.B.D.

Yeah Hana's voice did seem mature, I got a flashback feeling too. I'd also like to know what's up with the L.B.B.D. Gang too.

Great all around visuals, however I disliked seeing poor Hana abused like that. At least she laid the smackdown on that troublesome little girl. I'm expecting good things from this show and it's soundtrack too.
Oct 27, 2008 10:16 PM

Jan 2008
crazy_eights said:
great start. this is on of the few animes that actually had my emotions boiling hoping for the worst for that p.o.s. family.

Same here! I was holding it in for so long and then when she started beating on Maria I
was practically jumping up and down with joy~ =P

This seems really interesting so far~ I absolutely love the OP
Oct 28, 2008 6:59 PM
Jun 2008
There's some serious potential in this anime.

Let's hope they don't muck up what's a great start.
Oct 29, 2008 2:34 AM

Feb 2008
This was pretty good. Looking forward to the rest of this.
Nov 7, 2008 5:09 AM

Feb 2007
Finally got the time to start this. I'd also have to agree with this...

QuothTheRaven said:
Hana bitchslapping her 'sister'? Most satisfying scene I've seen all week.

...especially because the abuse just kept going. I think we all got the point in the first couple of minutes. I would have been disappointed if Hana didn't stand up for herself.

Great music, style, and art, just like I expected. My highest expectation for this show is for strong, very well developed characters, instead of a strong plot.
Nov 12, 2008 4:14 AM

May 2008
I kept hearing people going "Japan is delving into ethnic culture again lol" about this.
And seeing the main female, I figured I'd only be watching the show for the loli at best.
And I didn't figure I would

And being in Brazil it totally makes sense, not like that random rapping I saw in Samurai Champloo. It taking place in Brazil it's a naturally multiethnic setting, so it would be weird not to throw that theme all over the place.

I mean come on, ancient France that has absolutely no connection to ancient Japan that I'm aware of makes more sense and doesn't clash as much as modern urban culture in anime. At least old Europe has similarities to old Japan, even if there are more Japanlike European countries than Germany or France that they seem to be infatuated by. (Like Finland, Hungary, and Estonia, and even Northern Europe in general? I guess Uralic countries are just too underrate to attach to, so they mesh their ancient Japan with European countries that are actually more well known.)

Not that I'm a big exotic Brazil nut, but it does at least make sense, and I'm not a person who complains about mixing cultural themes. But Japan going ethnic is just kinda silly if they don't do it right, and I'm not a fan of "ethnic" themes anyway. Anyway, enough of overanalyzing the culture in the Michiko to Hatchin.

Anyway, like I was saying, I'm not all that fond of the hip-hop, urban, hard knocks, gansta, hispanic instruments and salsa, exotic "ethnic" stuff. In fact I turn to anime to escape from that, but this show actually seems sort of cool, better than I expected. I wouldn't say it's one of the best shows of the season, though.

For one though, that girl sure has a horrible life, it was depressing and I was literally cringing. But it sure felt good to see her punch that girl back. I was literally grinning from ear to ear.

Anyway that was again better than expected. But I don't expect the other episodes to be just as good, and not that I can really watch them right now anyway, since crunchyroll took them down and the tracker has them all on mkv. So anyway even though I'm not going to put this on drop right now, I'd might as well.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 12, 2008 8:13 AM

May 2007
The animation quality is great, but I can't come to like the style. Didn't pay much attention to music. Hana annoyed the hell outta me. What's with her masoshistic attitude? At least Michiko comes to save the day. She is very hot. Looking forward to second one.
Nov 12, 2008 12:30 PM

Aug 2007
Love the style, love the episode.
The escape part was too short as most of you already mentioned.. But still very nice ^^

I think I'm falling for this anime ^^''''
Was totally shocked when Hana punched Maria, but that just had to happen, cus otherwise it would rly be a bad runaway xD

And Michiko is hoooot ;OO I love her style and her character. She could be in my top 5 favorite after this one episode I've seen ^^ (yeah, I'm easily impressed xD)

Well, going to watch the 2nd episode!

Nov 16, 2008 3:08 PM

Oct 2007
This is one helluva first episode. I am soooo going to keep watching this.
In fact, I'm going to show it at my Anim Society and make everyone else watch it :P
I love the 2 lead characters. I'm a sucker for anything that gets me so emtional on the first ep.

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

windy - Mar 22, 2009

241 by superwaha »»
Feb 27, 10:24 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 16 Discussion

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

40 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 4, 2023 7:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.