Anime & Manga News

Japan's Weekly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for Apr 28 - May 4

by Snow
May 7, 2014 1:15 PM | 84 Comments
Here are the weekly Manga and Light Novel rankings for April 28th - May 4th

Rank / This week's sales by copies / Cumulative sales / Titles

Manga
*1. 444,725 *,444,725 Naruto Vol.69
*2. 325,657 *,325,657 Kuroko no Basket Vol.27
*3. 301,967 *,301,967 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.9
*4. 228,154 *,228,154 Bleach Vol.63
*5. 157,211 *,157,211 One Punch-Man Vol.6
*6. 147,428 *,147,428 Nisekoi Vol.12
*7. 132,742 *,132,742 Gintama Vol.54
*8. *84,380 *,140,051 Horimiya Vol.5
*9. *79,944 *,*79,944 Owari no Seraph Vol.5
10. *79,090 *,243,357 Shingeki no Kyojin: Kuinaki Sentaku Vol.1

11. *78,126 1,577,796 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.13
12. *73,911 *,229,759 xxxHOLiC: Rei Vol.2
13. *73,232 *,507,417 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Vol.21
14. *62,606 *,227,939 Giant Killing Vol.31
15. *61,956 *,*61,956 Kangoku Gakuen Vol.13
16. *61,882 *,139,324 Hibi Chouchou Vol.7
17. *53,526 *,*84,202 Pandora Hearts Vol.22
18. *52,706 *,445,888 Detective Conan Vol.83
19. *42,849 *,*83,996 Mairunovich Vol.11
20. *41,023 *,*92,852 Honey Vol.4

21. *39,215 *,*89,345 Mune ga Naru no wa Kimi no Sei Vol.4
22. *39,038 *,*78,767 Aozora Yell Vol.15
23. *36,325 *,121,890 Billy Bat Vol.14
24. *35,688 *,*35,688 Rosario to Vampire: Season II Vol.14
25. *34,928 *,*77,243 Kokoro Button Vol.12
26. *34,226 *,303,409 Kingdom Vol.34
27. *33,122 *,*68,789 Ato nimo Saki nimo Kimi dake Vol.7
28. *32,961 *,365,909 Haikyuu!! Vol.10
29. *31,220 *,230,295 Tokyo Ghoul Vol.11
30. *30,479 *,*30,479 Blood Lad Vol.11

31. *27,826 *,*27,826 Mogura no Uta Vol.40
32. *27,089 *,*53,059 Usotsuki Lily Vol.15
33. *26,578 *,250,989 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.8
34. *25,922 *,220,293 Youkai Watch Vol.3
35. *25,811 *,*57,664 Karneval Vol.13
36. *25,629 *,*25,629 Isobe Isobee Monogatari - Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo Vol.2
37. *25,472 *,501,487 Haikyuu!! Vol.1
38. *25,120 *,483,508 Haikyuu!! Vol.2
39. *25,107 *,359,179 Chihayafuru Vol.24
40. *24,818 *,469,234 Haikyuu!! Vol.3

41. *24,531 *,*55,602 True Love Vol.4
42. *24,445 *,*24,445 Ateya no Tsubaki Vol.9
43. *24,290 *,*49,724 1F - Fukushima Daiichi Genshiryoku Hatsudensho Annaiki Vol.1
44. *23,675 *,*50,727 Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shite Kudasai Vol.3
45. *23,259 *,*23,259 Uso Kano Vol.3
46. *22,900 *,*50,273 Akai Ito Vol.5
47. *22,708 *,458,854 Haikyuu!! Vol.4
48. *21,825 *,*79,985 Ginga Patrol Jako
49. *21,804 *,436,894 Haikyuu!! Vol.5
50. *21,652 2,793,426 One Piece Vol.73


Light Novels and Anime/Manga related books
*1. 85,344 *85,344 Kuroko no Basket: Replace Vol.5
*2. 26,840 *26,840 Kuroko no Basket: TV Anime Characters Book - AniBas Vol.4
*3. 21,185 *21,185 Amano Akira's Characters Visual Book: Rebo to Dlive
*4. 17,912 *63,543 IS: Infinite Stratos Vol.9
*5. 16,238 *24,810 Knights & Magic Vol.4
*6. 16,103 *62,452 Hidan no Aria Vol.17
*7. 16,028 270,366 Sword Art Online Vol.14
*8. 15,962 309,254 Kagerou Days Vol.5
*9. 12,492 *48,749 No Game No Life Vol.6
10. 11,542 115,323 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Vol.9

11. 11,325 337,518 Manga de Wakaru Nanatsu no Shuukan
12. 11,213 *71,848 Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou Vol.10
13. 10,962 *67,112 No Game No Life Vol.1
14. 10,218 171,032 Coffee-ten Talleran Jikenbo Vol.3
15. 10,105 *12,737 Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Ita koro...... Vol.10 "Fujitsubo"
16. 10,074 570,723 Kagerou Days Vol.1
17. *9,745 *62,482 No Game No Life Vol.2
18. *9,504 *32,317 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. Vol.8
19. *9,009 *55,343 No Game No Life Vol.3
20. *8,436 *13,290 Risou no Himo Seikatsu Vol.5

21. *8,385 *12,723 Saishin no Game wa Sugosugi daro Vol.2
22. *8,366 495,024 Kagerou Days Vol.2
23. *8,331 150,339 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.13
24. *8,320 **8,610 Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyrie Vol.4
25. *8,041 *54,779 No Game No Life Vol.4
26. *7,791 *67,993 No Game No Life Vol.5
27. *7,733 *35,073 Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance Vol.13
28. *7,440 439,407 Kagerou Days Vol.3
29. *7,216 379,191 Kagerou Days Vol.4
30. *7,165 166,125 Monogatari Series: Final Season "Owarimonogatari" Vol.3

31. *6,733 *18,675 Detective Conan Vol.18 "Ijigen no Sougekishu"
32. *6,430 *15,514 Akumu-chan: The Movie


Source: Oricon Youtaiju

Previous Week's Ranking

20 of 84 Comments Recent Comments

SaiyanGoku said:


though i read that shitty manga, i'll never watch those over 9000 filler naruto episodes. :P
everybody has his own opinion. deal with mine too.
i watched till they started spamming endless fillers in shinobi war arc. -_-


At which point you dropped the series, so it should go on your dropped list with that many episodes set as watched.

May 14, 2014 12:19 AM by kuuderes_shadow

riqueterremoto said:
ichii_1 said:
keragamming said:
SaiyanGoku said:
Minagatachi said:
SaiyanGoku said:
naruto at the top O.o
People buy that shit plot?

You've watched all the episodes (all 600 or so), most of the movies, a few of the specials, and you are up to date with both the anime and the manga... you know you love it =P


i just increase the number of episodes watched. (just so that I can contribute my share in bringing its rankings down) i don't watch them though. i actually hate naruto and every bit of it.
i hate it to the point that i consider it to be unworthy of being included in WSJ.


My god. :O What are you doing with your life son?

He admitted he doesn't watch anything and just lowers scores, someone ban his IP or delete his account please.


Agree,he should be banned.


though i read that shitty manga, i'll never watch those over 9000 filler naruto episodes. :P
everybody has his own opinion. deal with mine too.
i watched till they started spamming endless fillers in shinobi war arc. -_-

May 13, 2014 11:44 PM by SaiyanGoku

tsudecimo said:
> *1. 444,725 *,444,725 Naruto Vol.69

Wait what. First time seeing it a new volume this low...


This was taken up until May 4th. So the manga had only been out for 2 days because it came out on May 2nd

May 13, 2014 10:03 AM by IIILewis97III

Gintama,Magi, Kingdom rocks!!!

May 12, 2014 7:12 PM by Dark_Messiah

Shingeki, Kuroko, Tokyo Ghoul, Nanatsu strong. Keep selling

Sad no Psycome. Hopefully it gets anime and we can see the new yandere queen Renko. Nice to see No game no Life ranking. Mahouka volume 13 was the only one to rank. Not suprise, the anime is horrible.

May 12, 2014 1:33 PM by mmrtrg

ichii_1 is not very mature. Clearly an obvious troll or a misunderstood bored person with issues. Just ignore him.

May 12, 2014 6:00 AM by 5chan

ichii_1 said:
volare1 said:
Fuck JUMP for pushing Toriko too much even though it wasn't that good and ranks ok. AssClass is doing much better and we got a shitty OVA instead. Fuck JUMP.

Toriko>>>>>AssClass
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Squirtle_04dd27_1887847.gif


I don't think anything can be worse than toriko.

May 11, 2014 10:05 PM by keragamming

volare1 said:
Fuck JUMP for pushing Toriko too much even though it wasn't that good and ranks ok. AssClass is doing much better and we got a shitty OVA instead. Fuck JUMP.

Toriko>>>>>AssClass
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Squirtle_04dd27_1887847.gif

tsudecimo said:

D:

It makes no sense that AssClass still doesn't a TV anime planned.

They're just waiting for more chapters and it's not gonna be super long anyway, the author already said so, maybe it'll end in 2 or 3 years (yeah, that's short for a popular JUMP series).

May 11, 2014 9:58 PM by ichii_1

volare1 said:
Fuck JUMP for pushing Toriko too much even though it wasn't that good and ranks ok. AssClass is doing much better and we got a shitty OVA instead. Fuck JUMP.

D:

It makes no sense that AssClass still doesn't a TV anime planned.

May 11, 2014 9:23 PM by tsudecimo

Fuck JUMP for pushing Toriko too much even though it wasn't that good and ranks ok. AssClass is doing much better and we got a shitty OVA instead. Fuck JUMP.

May 11, 2014 9:21 PM by volare1

zarion said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
ichii_1 said:
^ show me a series that does at least 500K+ a month being canceled because of bad rankings, I'll wait (no beelzebub or medaka box cause they only sold about 200K+ just so you know).


Not 500k but Nura was selling 255k in 12 days for volume 21 (in the same time frame medaka box 15 which is the example you gave sold 135k), and was the 23rd bestselling manga series in Japan in 2012 and 8th out of the then active series in WSJ, and that got axed because of the rankings. That's the top seller that I know of that got axed because of rankings.


Medaka Box had an entirely different situation and an airing anime. Ever heard of Cobra and Kochikame?
And the Jump advertisement apparatus doesn't only apply to colors and centers. Generally they will always try to promote series with an anime at least as long as the anime is airing and new series in order to create a following. Just look at what is happening to Toriko now that the anime ended.

Whoever dropped Nura was stupid, damn, it was about to end anyway at least let it go out good, but no :( and I'm still waiting on my season 3 btw.

Yeah ,when the magazine is filled with high selling series even 200K+ series can go, sad really :(
It was probably due to it almost ending and merchandise sales not being good enough, toriko's anime may have ended but it's consistently good in rankings and sales (long term).

May 11, 2014 6:33 PM by ichii_1

kuuderes_shadow said:
ichii_1 said:
^ show me a series that does at least 500K+ a month being canceled because of bad rankings, I'll wait (no beelzebub or medaka box cause they only sold about 200K+ just so you know).


Not 500k but Nura was selling 255k in 12 days for volume 21 (in the same time frame medaka box 15 which is the example you gave sold 135k), and was the 23rd bestselling manga series in Japan in 2012 and 8th out of the then active series in WSJ, and that got axed because of the rankings. That's the top seller that I know of that got axed because of rankings.


Medaka Box had an entirely different situation and an airing anime. Ever heard of Cobra and Kochikame?
And the Jump advertisement apparatus doesn't only apply to colors and centers. Generally they will always try to promote series with an anime at least as long as the anime is airing and new series in order to create a following. Just look at what is happening to Toriko now that the anime ended.

May 11, 2014 1:32 PM by zarion

ichii_1 said:
^ show me a series that does at least 500K+ a month being canceled because of bad rankings, I'll wait (no beelzebub or medaka box cause they only sold about 200K+ just so you know).


Not 500k but Nura was selling 255k in 12 days for volume 21 (in the same time frame medaka box 15 which is the example you gave sold 135k), and was the 23rd bestselling manga series in Japan in 2012 and 8th out of the then active series in WSJ, and that got axed because of the rankings. That's the top seller that I know of that got axed because of rankings.

May 11, 2014 1:18 PM by kuuderes_shadow

What ichii_1 said it's true if a manga is selling good on the volume realeses it won't be cancelled just because of the bad ranking on the TOC.If i remember correct this was said on Bakuman.

May 11, 2014 12:35 PM by riqueterremoto

^ show me a series that does at least 500K+ a month being canceled because of bad rankings, I'll wait (no beelzebub or medaka box cause they only sold about 200K+ just so you know).

May 11, 2014 12:04 PM by ichii_1

ichii_1 said:
Some people actually believe bleach will be cancelled for bad JUMP rankings, will you cancel a series selling 500K+ in a month? or maybe cancel HxH (1 million + seller) since it almost always has bad rankings, thank god nobody here works at JUMP.

You must be new to JUMP and their rankings.

zarion said:

Those polls are nothing more than a marketing strategy. The notion that they were decided by the readers was disproved ages ago.

It is a marketing PR for lead pages and color pages. But it is a different matter for new titles. All of these titles you see now except for the big three have their respective authors work their asses just to stay in the magazine.

Seriously, you two.

May 11, 2014 9:55 AM by volare1

New Testament Vol 10 is out! Next week we know who will get the 1° on rankings...

May 11, 2014 9:12 AM by WandersonC

Some people actually believe bleach will be cancelled for bad JUMP rankings, will you cancel a series selling 500K+ in a month? or maybe cancel HxH (1 million + seller) since it almost always has bad rankings, thank god nobody here works at JUMP.

May 11, 2014 8:05 AM by ichii_1

zarion said:
volare1 said:
zarion said:
Bleach's sales number are representative of one, maybe two days of sales. It hasn't "fallen" any further than it already did after the Hueco Mundo arc. You bunch of naysayers ought to check release dates and previous sales numbers before mouthing off like some idiot.


Its not all about sales for a JUMP title. Its also about their rankings in the magazine. If they ranked low enough, it could be cancelled, thus no more manga sales. This applies even to one piece and naruto.

We got One Piece, Naruto and HxH ranking on the top and sometimes OK.
Then we got KuroBasket, Souma, Nisekoi, Gintama, AssClass, Toriko and Haikyuu exchanging top and middle places. Although sometimes they rank low too.

Bleach has been ranking low and on-par with the new titles that are trying to survive. Hell it once ranked lower than World Trigger which is the only newcomer looking to make the cut. Current Bleach's status ain't good.


Those polls are nothing more than a marketing strategy. The notion that they were decided by the readers was disproved ages ago.
Bleach ranks low because it's not being promoted and since it is ending and needs a replacement sorely.
Jump has not been capable of producing a smash hit on par with a 3B in ages.
Nothing that has come out since Death Note has been comparable to a 3B.


Assassination Classroom

May 11, 2014 7:05 AM by riqueterremoto

volare1 said:
zarion said:
Bleach's sales number are representative of one, maybe two days of sales. It hasn't "fallen" any further than it already did after the Hueco Mundo arc. You bunch of naysayers ought to check release dates and previous sales numbers before mouthing off like some idiot.


Its not all about sales for a JUMP title. Its also about their rankings in the magazine. If they ranked low enough, it could be cancelled, thus no more manga sales. This applies even to one piece and naruto.

We got One Piece, Naruto and HxH ranking on the top and sometimes OK.
Then we got KuroBasket, Souma, Nisekoi, Gintama, AssClass, Toriko and Haikyuu exchanging top and middle places. Although sometimes they rank low too.

Bleach has been ranking low and on-par with the new titles that are trying to survive. Hell it once ranked lower than World Trigger which is the only newcomer looking to make the cut. Current Bleach's status ain't good.


Those polls are nothing more than a marketing strategy. The notion that they were decided by the readers was disproved ages ago.
Bleach ranks low because it's not being promoted and since it is ending and needs a replacement sorely.
Jump has not been capable of producing a smash hit on par with a 3B in ages.
Nothing that has come out since Death Note has been comparable to a 3B.

May 11, 2014 4:02 AM by zarion