Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 8:11 PM
Oct 2023
ok so i know what you're thinking. hear me out. i'm sure all of us feel like killing ourselves. frankly i would be suprised if you didnt, but why is it seen as a bad thing? and i dont want you to say something like "its not the answer" or "people care about you" because frankly i'm sick of hearing that bullshit. theres 8 billion people on earth, if someone dies just find a replacement
im too stupid to think of something clever to put here so just pretend i put something insightful and life changing
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 8:15 PM

Jan 2009
death and destruction is easy but life and creation is hard so that maybe why people put more value in life and creation
Sep 14, 8:16 PM

May 2018
bro... as someone who lost a brother to suicide... it's not bullshit...
can't yuck my yum

Sep 14, 8:24 PM

Mar 2008
It's just not the highest ideal of what to wish for someone. It's more like a nothing else left kind of thing. So it basically is the average person is more optimistic than the person than kills themselves.
Sep 14, 8:30 PM

Jun 2019
Forget about other people. You are basically wasting all chances to do something meaningful (meaningful to you!) about your life, and you will not have a second chance (no matter what your religious beliefs are). Don't you want to see Luffy becoming the King of Pirates? Become Karuta's Meijin? Start a family? Your reason to stay alive does not have to be noble or selfless. It is okay to have fun in life.

Sep 14, 8:32 PM

Dec 2016
For a profligate westerner it is a deeply personal confrontation with mortality and inevitability. It's kind of like when people get squicked out over organs because they are reminded that organs are indeed inside of them. So, to see someone find no value in the most important thing to them, their continued existence, it is deeply unsettling.

Sep 14, 8:34 PM

Aug 2024
Just end it already, or go cry in the embrace of a hooker’s arms.
Your future self won’t appreciate your present self anyway; he’ll be disgusted by you, just like everyone else is.
To live is to regret the things you didn’t do out of cowardice and to feel remorse over the things you did out of courage.

There’s no way out, no solution, no win, no happiness.

Just acceptance. Either you accept that to live is to suffer, to be bored, to feel injustice—or you accept death.

As for me, I can’t die for love, and I can’t live for love. I live out of sheer hatred, knowing that if I killed myself, my mum would burn all my money, making it worthless.
RopemaxingSep 14, 8:39 PM
Sep 14, 8:42 PM

Jul 2021
The answer is simple: Because living is good and dying is bad. A dying society is not a prosperous one. So if you wish for a prosperous society, then you must do your part to ensure the population is not on the decline and that includes your own responsibility not to do such a thing to yourself.
Sep 14, 8:50 PM

Aug 2024
Reply to wizdom224
The answer is simple: Because living is good and dying is bad. A dying society is not a prosperous one. So if you wish for a prosperous society, then you must do your part to ensure the population is not on the decline and that includes your own responsibility not to do such a thing to yourself.
@wizdom224

Gears in the clockwork, bricks in the wall.

Jumping off bridges is the only form of true freedom, the fall is beautifull, the fall loves and the fall doesn't kill you.

The pavement might tho.... but it's worth it.

10/10
recommended!
RopemaxingSep 14, 8:56 PM
Sep 14, 8:54 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Meusnier
Forget about other people. You are basically wasting all chances to do something meaningful (meaningful to you!) about your life, and you will not have a second chance (no matter what your religious beliefs are). Don't you want to see Luffy becoming the King of Pirates? Become Karuta's Meijin? Start a family? Your reason to stay alive does not have to be noble or selfless. It is okay to have fun in life.

@Meusnier
That's one of the reasons people kill themselves though, not achieving what they want that is seen as meaningful then death becomes meaningful and prioritized over other things where they have failed to achieve before or are no longer even something they can have even as possible. The big problem is it is very difficult if not impossible for someone to know what can be possible and will occur or not. Whether they choose to live or die either can be the wrong choice for them and even after death there often isn't a way to know, so it is a gamble. The only hope of escape is just holding on long as tolerable and luck out or finding a new source of meaning that is enough to satiate a hungry heart.
Sep 14, 9:23 PM

Jun 2019
traed said:
@Meusnier
That's one of the reasons people kill themselves though, not achieving what they want that is seen as meaningful then death becomes meaningful and prioritized over other things where they have failed to achieve before or are no longer even something they can have even as possible. The big problem is it is very difficult if not impossible for someone to know what can be possible and will occur or not. Whether they choose to live or die either can be the wrong choice for them and even after death there often isn't a way to know, so it is a gamble. The only hope of escape is just holding on long as tolerable and luck out or finding a new source of meaning that is enough to satiate a hungry heart.

Very few people who actually pursue their dreams end their lives if they fail; they will typically change of ideal or find a new goal to pursue. Most professional tennis players will never win a Grand Slam, but you never hear about tennis players committing suicide... On the other hand, when you hear kids speaking about suicide on an internet forum, you know that they are not Dazai or James Joyce, but rather aimless, depressed, nihilistic people who need to fine what to do with their lives...

Death is never meaningful.
Sep 14, 9:25 PM

Jul 2017
Rye_the_Guy said:
i'm sure all of us feel like killing ourselves. frankly i would be suprised if you didnt

I've never actually felt the desire to kill myself lol

Rye_the_Guy said:
why is it seen as a bad thing? and i dont want you to say something like "its not the answer" or "people care about you" because frankly i'm sick of hearing that bullshit. theres 8 billion people on earth, if someone dies just find a replacement

I don't really view suicide as inherently a bad thing for the individual who wants to commit it if he/she has thought it through long and hard enough and sees no other way out. As a stranger, whether you want to keep your life or not is really none of my business, but I will say that suicide is something that should always be considered a last resort no matter what, and you should seek out advice from mental health professionals before doing something reckless to yourself.

I think one of the only few bad things that comes with suicide though is that your loved ones will be really heartbroken and will mourn for your death for who knows how long, and that's nothing that they can easily just shrug off and forget about. Years/decades of suffering is no joke.
Sep 14, 9:43 PM

May 2013
Damn, bro is acting like he doesn't fear the void.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 14, 9:46 PM

May 2013
That's not a serious question, of course suicide is some gnarly shit. There's no nice and easy way to take your own life, even if you overdosed on pills.

I mean you could jump off the Empire state building or something but I have a feeling it would be a very painful final second :P And you might wake up in hell so tread carefully!

We all have our crosses to bear, you should have faith that your efforts will pay off one day.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 14, 9:52 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Nette
Damn, bro is acting like he doesn't fear the void.
@Nette if you fear some hypothetical void then you need to reevaluate how you live your life
im too stupid to think of something clever to put here so just pretend i put something insightful and life changing
Sep 14, 9:57 PM

Feb 2020
It usually hurts your family members, friends, etc.
Sep 14, 9:58 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Rye_the_Guy said:
theres 8 billion people on earth, if someone dies just find a replacement

This makes me sad. I know it doesn't mean much from a rando on the internet, but I hope you are doing ok.

In truth, I don't think there is a single answer to this question. It can likely be difficult to communicate the value of one's life, if they see no value in it. I think people see value in human life. That's why they try to prevent it.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Sep 14, 10:22 PM

Jul 2024
Reply to deg
death and destruction is easy but life and creation is hard so that maybe why people put more value in life and creation
@deg you give me motivation and courage to live my life, since we are both in the same bracket..
I get sad and start to panic thinking about what might happen to people like us in 20 years..
Also all these news about voice actors and mangaka dying only fuels my fear.
Sep 14, 10:30 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to RainyEvenings
@deg you give me motivation and courage to live my life, since we are both in the same bracket..
I get sad and start to panic thinking about what might happen to people like us in 20 years..
Also all these news about voice actors and mangaka dying only fuels my fear.
@RainyEvenings yep hang in there better be a rebel on this cruel world or universe as mikasa said the world is cruel but beautiful
Sep 14, 10:45 PM

Jun 2019
DreamWindow said:
Rye_the_Guy said:

This makes me sad. I know it doesn't mean much from a rando on the internet, but I hope you are doing ok.

In truth, I don't think there is a single answer to this question. It can likely be difficult to communicate the value of one's life, if they see no value in it. I think people see value in human life. That's why they try to prevent it.

Your post reminded me of that scene in the beginning of Hunter x Hunter where Killua finds an injured animal and decides to put an end to its suffering, only to be stopped by a kind elderly woman who tells him that he has not learnt about the value of life. This is basically what this thread is about: it might take time to understand the value of life if you were never educated about it.
Sep 14, 11:09 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh dear, I really hope you wouldn't need to learn it the hard way about how bad suicide is and how valuable life is.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 14, 11:45 PM

Jun 2016
It's a permanent solution to something that in 99% of cases is a temporary problem. So unless you're a paraplegic like the late Stephen Hawking or about to serve a 20 year prison sentence, almost any problem you face you can also recover from.
Sep 14, 11:49 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Lost_Viking
It's a permanent solution to something that in 99% of cases is a temporary problem. So unless you're a paraplegic like the late Stephen Hawking or about to serve a 20 year prison sentence, almost any problem you face you can also recover from.
@Lost_Viking stfu with your cookie cutter responses, its gay shit like this that makes me wanna just kms out of spite. hell, at least i would be dead and not end up something pathetic or gay
Rye_the_GuySep 14, 11:59 PM
Sep 15, 12:00 AM

Aug 2022
It's considered bad because you are property of the state and when you kill yourself you are stealing from the state.
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Sep 15, 12:01 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to vasipi4946
It's considered bad because you are property of the state and when you kill yourself you are stealing from the state.
@vasipi4946 you underestimate my affinity with crime
Sep 15, 12:18 AM

Dec 2013
More than 10 years of deep depression, and 7 years of chronic pain at my sacrum, difficult to sit, stand, in the car, wearing proper pants without pain, sometimes the pain is so painful. Years of thinking wanting to suicide. But to these days, I still live. I'm not sure why, this suffering mind and body just still wanting to live, and hoping there will come the time when everything will be better, worth to live for
philtecturophySep 15, 12:31 AM

Sep 15, 12:21 AM

May 2013
Reply to Rye_the_Guy
@Lost_Viking stfu with your cookie cutter responses, its gay shit like this that makes me wanna just kms out of spite. hell, at least i would be dead and not end up something pathetic or gay
@Rye_the_Guy

Sorry to tell you this but the only pathetic and gay thing here rn is suicide. Be the true alpha chad and live.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 15, 12:54 AM
May 2012
Life is a deadly sexually transmitted disease. Life forms must live, it is in their programming. Why life forms exist and must replicate and evolve this is a whole other question that no one knows the answer to. Living is difficult, yes it is, everything in the universe kills. An evolved life form should try to preserve the others but preserving does not mean allowing their reproduction to infinity but seeking a balance. Sometimes killing is balance itself that's why some life forms consumes life itself. Death is not only an enemy but also a tool that improve life. Suicide makes sense when life is only suffering and a burden for other life forms, however there is also empathy and emotions such as hope in which one tries to fight and find a solution even to the most serious problems and diseases so that they can be of help to future generations.
Sep 15, 1:22 AM

Dec 2008
I don't really understand why people kill themselves to be honest, outside of specific cases like severe untreatable chronic pain etc.
There are people in 3rd world countries with nothing, suffering from wars, diseases, etc and they keep going. Meanwhile here in the developed world you have people who kill themselves just because they can't get laid or don't like their job or whatever. So weird.
Sep 15, 1:41 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Saku_k
I don't really understand why people kill themselves to be honest, outside of specific cases like severe untreatable chronic pain etc.
There are people in 3rd world countries with nothing, suffering from wars, diseases, etc and they keep going. Meanwhile here in the developed world you have people who kill themselves just because they can't get laid or don't like their job or whatever. So weird.
@Saku_k
This kind of talk and mindset is part of why. It is invalidating someone's feelings. If everyone thought this way no one would empathize with anyone but like one person who is deemed worst off. This sort of thing makes people want to suffer more or kill themselves just so someone can actually acknowledge they suffered. People in so called 3rd world countries tend to have more tight knit communities so they have social support and they arent having people belittle them. They do commit suicide sometimes too just their governments dont have the funds to keep track as much as they could.
Sep 15, 2:01 AM

Feb 2020
If your very religious it's seen as a bad thing, as you won't go to heaven if you erase yourself, it's claimed.
Sep 15, 2:10 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Meusnier
DreamWindow said:
Rye_the_Guy said:

Your post reminded me of that scene in the beginning of Hunter x Hunter where Killua finds an injured animal and decides to put an end to its suffering, only to be stopped by a kind elderly woman who tells him that he has not learnt about the value of life. This is basically what this thread is about: it might take time to understand the value of life if you were never educated about it.
@Meusnier

I suppose that's true. I'm not so sure how someone could convince someone that their life was truly worth living, if they were really at the edge, though. It's also entirely possible that many of them do value life, but they view their life as inferior somehow. Those thoughts can be a poison to the mind.

I should watch Hunter x Hunter. I haven't watched anime in a while.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Sep 15, 2:25 AM

May 2024
It's just seen as "the easy way out", and people hate that. Those who are incapable of suicide believe others should suffer the same way they do, without escaping the harsh reality we all live in. It's only a bad thing if it doesn't benefit individuals besides the one who actually commits suicide. Humans are selfish like that.
Sep 15, 2:34 AM

Sep 2016
Because premature death of humans is seen as a bad thing in general, including suicide.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 15, 2:51 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Meusnier

Meusnier said:
Don't you want to see Luffy becoming the King of Pirates?

Is this how you juan piss enjoyers cope with life? Waiting for the next chapter/episode of One Piece is really how you hold off suicide this week? Lmfao.
Sep 15, 2:55 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
Because premature death of humans is seen as a bad thing in general, including suicide.
@Zarutaku premature deaths are natural. What is unnatural is so much advancement in the medical field where it leads to 8 billion people living on the planet which will cause lack of resources and de-evolution.
Sep 15, 3:00 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to LenRea
@Zarutaku premature deaths are natural. What is unnatural is so much advancement in the medical field where it leads to 8 billion people living on the planet which will cause lack of resources and de-evolution.
@LenRea Natural doesn't mean good, there are plenty of natural things considered bad, such as diseases.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 15, 3:46 AM

Feb 2024
Suicide is missed opportunity. Be greedy, live for yourself.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Sep 15, 4:02 AM

Sep 2024
Why is suicide seen as a bad thing?
Example: Causes lot of harm to someone who cares about you a lot.
“Everyone has a right to pursue a happy life.
The difficult part is to be given that right.”
Frederica Bernkastel
Sep 15, 4:16 AM

Jan 2009
It's because it's a waste of opportunity, a waste of a precious gift and an irreversible action. You won't go to Hell according to Christianity since Jesus died for all sins for all eternity, but it's still a waste of the gift given to you of being alive. I fully agree with @Lost_Viking here that in 99% of the cases the problem is temporarily and even if not, it's seldom so relevant that it would be justified
Sep 15, 7:38 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Good and bad doesn't exist in a world where we don't have free will. We are no different from a light bulb that turns on when a button is flipped, no different from balls bouncing on a billiards table. We are slaves to the laws of physics and there's nothing that separates us from the dead matter.
Sep 15, 8:21 AM

Jan 2016
Reply to traed
@Meusnier
@traed I´ll make your words my own and... even holding on can feel unbearable at times, as the pressure of unmet expectations or perceived failures weighs heavily. For many, the search for meaning becomes a continuous state of distress or discomfort struggle. It’s a battle between hope and hopelessness, where the gamble of choosing life over death seems like an ongoing risk without guarantees. The challenge, then, is not just finding new meaning, but cultivating the resilience to endure the uncertainty, knowing that even the smallest glimmer of hope can be enough to keep someone going. In the end, the search for meaning may not be about grand achievements, but about finding value in the smallest of moments, and trusting that tomorrow maybe be better than today.
Sep 15, 8:27 AM

Jan 2016
Reply to Rosy_Rose
Why is suicide seen as a bad thing?
Example: Causes lot of harm to someone who cares about you a lot.
@Rosy_Rose It's complicated, isn't it? You don't aim to hurt those around you, but you end up doing so.
Sep 15, 9:02 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Meusnier
traed said:
@Meusnier

Very few people who actually pursue their dreams end their lives if they fail; they will typically change of ideal or find a new goal to pursue. Most professional tennis players will never win a Grand Slam, but you never hear about tennis players committing suicide... On the other hand, when you hear kids speaking about suicide on an internet forum, you know that they are not Dazai or James Joyce, but rather aimless, depressed, nihilistic people who need to fine what to do with their lives...

Meusnier said:

There are many deaths that are very meaningful, including suicides. Even in our own lifetime, there are countless examples. The self-immolation of Bouazizi had a colossal impact. I've no idea how you arrived at this sentiment, because it requires significant wilful ignorance of our history. I didn't realise you were this deep in Camus/Nietzsche. Kinda disappointing really.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 15, 10:50 AM

Jun 2019
Sad said:
Meusnier said:

There are many deaths that are very meaningful, including suicides. Even in our own lifetime, there are countless examples. The self-immolation of Bouazizi had a colossal impact. I've no idea how you arrived at this sentiment, because it requires significant wilful ignorance of our history. I didn't realise you were this deep in Camus/Nietzsche. Kinda disappointing really.

You make very odd assumptions. I do not like Camus as a writer or philosopher, and if I like Nietzsche, I do not draw my ideas on death from his philosophy. You glorify "revolutions" that amounted to replacing a technocratic team by another one. It was surely not worth dying for that, but at least Bouazizi was not as pathetic as this American soldier who immolated himself for Palestine...

Many deaths are significant, but they are not meaningful for the one who loses his life...

P.S. This is not a topic meant for nuanced philosophical discussion on death, but a thread meant to help someone not ending his life for no purpose, so your behaviour is not helping...

LenRea said:
Meusnier said:
Don't you want to see Luffy becoming the King of Pirates?

Is this how you juan piss enjoyers cope with life? Waiting for the next chapter/episode of One Piece is really how you hold off suicide this week? Lmfao.

What made you assume that I lived for such a futile purpose? I meant that it was okay to stay alive for a seemingly futile purpose. Try to use your pathetic excuse of a brain next time, you low-level noumenon.
MeusnierSep 15, 10:56 AM
Sep 15, 11:18 AM

Dec 2016
In case there are other people who love or appreciate you, that you leave this world by your own decision will inevitably result in a deep emotional pain from which they may never fully recover.

That alone is reason enough to consider suicide as a bad thing.
Sep 15, 12:07 PM

Aug 2012
@traed wtf are you saying ? People dreams are always achievable. The only time it's not is when it's something egregious or ridiculous.

If someone who did achieve their goals still killed themselves it's because they had other mental conditions like clinical depression.

@Meusnier Youngster who are obsessed with death are usually sad over a girl or something very shallow and superficial. Adult on other hand tend to be lonely...few are psychopaths.

No such thing as a meaningful suicide.
Sep 15, 12:52 PM

May 2018
It usually affects the people you know. Since they'll remember it for a long time.
Sep 15, 1:25 PM
May 2017
Because you do not have the right to kill your parents' son or daughter.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Sep 15, 1:46 PM

Apr 2018
I have dealt with suicidal thoughts before. The way I see it, no one wants to die. I certainly didn't. I quite like being alive. The problem is when people can't just live. If you aren't living, what is the point of being alive? Suicide is a symptom of poor living conditions. Poverty, homelessness, discrimination, ect. will all lead to suicide. If you don't have the money or means to live a comfortable life, it doesn't take much for you to reason killing yourself is the logical thing to do. But that's where you'd be wrong. It doesn't have to be this way. We need to rid ourselves of the mindset that it is an individualist issue; suicide is a societal issue. If you don't want people to commit suicide, we must restructure society.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » modern life is more stressful?

deg - 5 hours ago

18 by fleurbleue »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » how do you differentiate arrogance, confidence and courage?

deg - 9 hours ago

10 by BigBoyAdvance »»
19 minutes ago

» How does it feel to have a crush on someone?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

43 by BigBoyAdvance »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » the internet is full of hate?

deg - 9 hours ago

34 by BigBoyAdvance »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe we possess free will?

purple_rayn - 10 hours ago

26 by BigBoyAdvance »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.