Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2023 7:39 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Annual manga lists, such as the "Kono Manga ga Sugoi!" rankings and Manga Taisho Award, are a great way to find new manga to read. There is only one problem: many of the titles which appear in these lists have yet to be licensed overseas (and aren't guaranteed to ever be).

"You Should Read This Manga" aims to create an annual manga discovery list for the international fan. Passionate manga readers—MAL members, bookstore employees, and more—can nominate any title that has recently been licensed and released outside Japan. While this doesn't guarantee all finalist manga will be available in every region, it greatly increases the probability for it to be licensed (now or in the future).

Nomination Criteria

Series with <9 volumes released overseas which were not featured in the previous year will take priority for the main and unique lists.
    You Should Read This Manga (min. 1 title, max. 10 titles)
    • At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2023.
    • The manga's Rank and Popularity are not in the Top 50.
    • You really want to recommend this manga to a friend!

Should be anime (optional)
    • Cannot have an anime adaptation in the last 5 years.

Best for beginners (optional)
    • Can easily be enjoyed by new manga readers (e.g. who have read 5 titles or less).

Unique art/story (optional)
    • For well-versed manga readers who are looking for something fresh.

Deadline: Jan 13, 7pm PST

Not sure which manga to nominate?
We compiled a non-exhaustive list of eligible titles, which can be found here: Eligible Manga List

Use the "My List" filter on Desktop to see which manga you're currently reading or have completed.

Titles do not need to be included on this list to be nominated. As long as they meet the above criteria, please send them to us anyway!
Missing manga can also be reported here.

We're looking forward to seeing your nominations! (。•̀ᴗ-)✧
tingyDec 13, 2023 4:55 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 13, 2023 3:38 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Surprisingly good amount of niche titles I recognize here... hope to see stuff like Call the Name of the Night and Is Love the Answer? make it <3
Dec 13, 2023 4:36 PM

Jul 2008
Awesome! I enjoyed this a lot last year. Looking forward to seeing the final list — I definitely have a few I'd love to recommend.

Kineta said:
At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2024.

I think this should say 2023~
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 13, 2023 4:55 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Reply to Touka
Awesome! I enjoyed this a lot last year. Looking forward to seeing the final list — I definitely have a few I'd love to recommend.

Kineta said:
At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2024.

I think this should say 2023~
@Touka Thank you!
Dec 13, 2023 6:35 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Titles that will be there: Youchien Wars, Super no Ura de Yani Suu Futari

Title that should be there: Hirayasumi

Titles that should be there but are not eligible listed: Ruri Dragon, Sayonara Eri
Ri-KoRinDec 13, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 13, 2023 9:18 PM
Jul 2023
Omg yes!!! I really enjoyed the 2023 event, the manga I nominated back then even made it onto final list in one of the categories! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my comment displayed next on it, I was so overjoyed!! Made my entire year ngl 😂 Looking forward to 2024 list and getting to know many new manga!! 😁
Dec 13, 2023 11:05 PM
Dec 2023
Startling for me as I often do not enjoy however this event was remarkably fabulous.
Dec 14, 2023 5:31 PM
Jan 2020
Sorry but I don’t read
Dec 15, 2023 7:02 AM

Mar 2018
Nominated 4 mangas. It was fun to nominate works which you think deserve more recognition.
Dec 16, 2023 2:14 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to RED-clover12
Sorry but I don’t read
@RED-clover12

I once said that too, glad I changed my mind and gave them a chance. Blame! and Biomega are awesome.
Dec 16, 2023 7:28 AM

Apr 2020
Can't wait!
Dec 16, 2023 11:19 AM

Feb 2007
And once again I shall do my best to try to get Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki! on this list since it clearly is the best among the eligible series.
Dec 16, 2023 2:40 PM
Jan 2021
it wont let me on the website and comes up with an error. what should i do?
issue has been fixed
TheTenchiUchihaDec 18, 2023 8:05 AM
Dec 18, 2023 6:52 AM
Aug 2022
Submitted the nomination.
Just have to wait for the results 😁
Dec 18, 2023 7:52 AM

Jul 2020
Reply to TheTenchiUchiha
it wont let me on the website and comes up with an error. what should i do?
issue has been fixed
@TheTenchiUchiha I also couldn't get through - I'm not sure the cause, but my phone browser would show the site for a moment before crashing. For me, switching to my laptop worked. Perhaps it's just not compatible with some phones or browsers?
30+ Anime Fan, And Just Happy To Be Here

Yearly Anime Challenges:

Dec 18, 2023 8:05 AM
Jan 2021
Rivka44 said:
@TheTenchiUchiha I also couldn't get through - I'm not sure the cause, but my phone browser would show the site for a moment before crashing. For me, switching to my laptop worked. Perhaps it's just not compatible with some phones or browsers?

it worked on internet explorer just wasnt working on chrome
Dec 18, 2023 7:02 PM
Jul 2016
I nominated 5 manga after getting a message from MAL.

Only to realize that I neglected to nominate Okaeri Alice! That one was peak uncomfortable lmao. It just got completed this year too!

I'm not very good at articulating WHY I like a certain manga. A good manga makes my brain juices happy I guess. Very vibes-based lmao.
Dec 18, 2023 7:06 PM

Feb 2014
Damn bro... I don't even have one full page on "my list".
Jan 5, 7:19 PM
Sep 2021
Dinosaur Sanctuary and Damedol and the Only Fan in the World. These are SUPER underrated also for Akame ga Kill fans, Hinowa ga Crush!
Jan 5, 7:28 PM

Dec 2022
I enjoyed reading Hikari No Hako.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Jan 5, 9:46 PM
Aug 2020
I enjoyed Tougen Anki!
there's a meaning to that
Jan 5, 9:50 PM

Nov 2016
has anyone seen this somewhere? id love to nominate it but yeah, i havent seen anything where im from (indo)

https://myanimelist.net/manga/133283/Sentai_Red_Isekai_de_Boukensha_ni_Naru

forgot to mention im bugged when voting, i cant seem to enter my username
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 6, 5:38 AM

May 2018
I want to recommend manga but anything that become popular become suck in the end and become different than it used to be
Jan 6, 8:39 AM
Aug 2023
I submitted Pokemon Adventures and then realized that it's listed as Pokemon Special. Really, they're the same thing. It would make an awesome anime.

I highly recommend Otoyomegatari (A Bride's Tale/Bride's Story). People, you're sleeping on an gorgeous manga.
sasaforestechoJan 6, 8:42 AM
Jan 6, 9:40 AM

Mar 2014
I can't recall if I sent my nominations in or not...is there a way to check? (I think I did)
Card Deliveries
Jan 6, 12:24 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Reply to Rinarin
I can't recall if I sent my nominations in or not...is there a way to check? (I think I did)
@Rinarin Yep, you did. Thanks!
Jan 6, 12:55 PM
Mar 2020
I'm so done with this. I've tried to nominate manga 3 times now; and each time I get halfway through, the browser decides that it's been too long since I've looked at the tab and reloads the page, and I lose everything that I just spent so long writing. Not exactly anyone's fault, I'm just very frustrated and needed to voice it.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.
Jan 6, 1:17 PM

Dec 2009
On the nominate page itself, I understood it as the optional ones don't need to be of 2023.
Or did any nomination in fact need to be exclusively with the first criteria of "At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2023." ... basically whatever is publishing or releasing that's licensed.

If so, I'd like to fix my redo my submission since there are two other Manga I could include that apply.
Jan 7, 1:26 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Reply to ShadyRuby
I'm so done with this. I've tried to nominate manga 3 times now; and each time I get halfway through, the browser decides that it's been too long since I've looked at the tab and reloads the page, and I lose everything that I just spent so long writing. Not exactly anyone's fault, I'm just very frustrated and needed to voice it.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.
@ShadyRuby Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the jotform. You can send me your nominations text via PM and I can add it to our spreadsheet.
Jan 7, 1:28 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Reply to waalex11
On the nominate page itself, I understood it as the optional ones don't need to be of 2023.
Or did any nomination in fact need to be exclusively with the first criteria of "At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2023." ... basically whatever is publishing or releasing that's licensed.

If so, I'd like to fix my redo my submission since there are two other Manga I could include that apply.
@waalex11 Sorry, I didn't quite understand your message. Yes, all manga need to have "At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2023." This can also be the digital equivalent (e.g. simulpub) and doesn't need to be a physical volume. If you'd like to edit your submission, you can send me a PM o/
Jan 7, 4:42 PM

Dec 2009
Reply to Kineta
@waalex11 Sorry, I didn't quite understand your message. Yes, all manga need to have "At least one volume of the manga was published overseas in 2023." This can also be the digital equivalent (e.g. simulpub) and doesn't need to be a physical volume. If you'd like to edit your submission, you can send me a PM o/
@Kineta
My bad, I could have formulated and explained that in simpler ways to be more comprehensible.
I meant that I misunderstood the optional picks as not needing to be manga (volumes) that was published in 2023.
I'll leave you a PM.
Jan 7, 5:54 PM

Jan 2024
EDIT: Nevermind, someone was spamming the forum regarding personal information. Just wondering what that was about...
AeroshogunJan 8, 1:46 AM
Please be patient, I have autism. It's difficult for me to express myself through words or put my thoughts into words...
Jan 7, 8:10 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Dinoboyi234
Dinosaur Sanctuary and Damedol and the Only Fan in the World. These are SUPER underrated also for Akame ga Kill fans, Hinowa ga Crush!
@Dinoboyi234, the Damedol recommendation was incredible; do you have more recommendations for me? 🙏😃
Jan 8, 4:19 AM
Jun 2021
trinity seven manga all the way if you know you know
Jan 8, 10:46 PM
Dec 2020
I want to suggest Amagami-sis and Akutsu-san from my list. They both are light-hearted rom-coms focussed more on comedy and I love them both.
Jan 9, 3:17 AM

Feb 2013
Suggested 2 titles, I'm excited! Just not sure how does it work if the title was already mentioned in the previous years (I tried to include new series). Can it still be mentioned in this year's list again?

Jan 9, 4:49 AM
Jul 2020
Excited to see, this years nominations, I really hope people will nominate my favorite unknownish manga Boukyou Tarou
Jan 9, 6:12 AM
Jan 2016
Manga that should be on the list are: Sensei, Kongetsu Dou Desu ka, Blooming Love, Kininatteru Hito ga Otoko ja Nakatta and Kaoru Hana wa Rin to Saku.
Nero_NanJan 10, 11:41 AM
Jan 9, 10:45 AM
Feb 2020
Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoushi

Read the manga mentioned above, it's more addicting then cocaine
Jan 9, 11:13 AM
Jul 2021
Does this end in a final list that we can see? This sounds like a fun way to get new manga for my PTR list!
Jan 9, 11:19 AM
Oct 2020
I’m hoping that murcielago is going to be on the finals list
Jan 9, 1:24 PM

Feb 2007
Reply to BrettWatchesTV
Does this end in a final list that we can see? This sounds like a fun way to get new manga for my PTR list!
@BrettWatchesTV Should become a stack like last year's.
Jan 9, 4:24 PM

Jun 2022
Done!
Jan 9, 4:35 PM

Feb 2021
More people have to learn about the masterpiece that is Kagurabachi.
No joke. I nominated it with serious reasons.

This is a cartoon site, you clown. Elitism in general is cringe enough already. Let people enjoy stuff.
Reminder to stay hydrated and read Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Jan 9, 5:36 PM
Nov 2017
Reply to Pain_The_Kami
@RED-clover12

I once said that too, glad I changed my mind and gave them a chance. Blame! and Biomega are awesome.
@H1PnOT1C_The_SSJ Nice recommandations for someone who doesn't want to read lmao
Jan 9, 7:05 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Mathi786
Tsuiraku JK to Haijin Kyoushi

Read the manga mentioned above, it's more addicting then cocaine
@Mathi786, recommend me more bro
Jan 9, 8:20 PM
Apr 2023
Isn't it obvious?? The best manga series is rent a girlfriend :)
Jan 9, 9:13 PM
Dec 2018
Ugh, I accidentally submitted the form too quickly, and forgot to add a couple nominations that I really wanted to, and now I can't go back and add them. 🙃

Anyways, if you're reading this, I might as well tell you my recommendations, which were: Mieruko-chan, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun, SHY, Maoujo de Oyasumi, "Haite Kudesai, Takamine-san!", and the two I forgot to submit, which were Otome Kaiju Caramelizer and Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete.

Also, you should read Fujimi Lovers, Bokura no Kiseki, and "Shinigami ni Sodaterareta Shoujo wa Shikkoku no Ken wo Mune ni Idaku", which weren't eligible.
Jan 10, 11:01 AM

Apr 2021
Goes to show how many great mangas are still not released outside Japan:

River End Cafe
Subaru to Suu-san
Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo
Ookumo-chan Flashback
Mujina into the Deep
Asako
Kotoshi no Mitsuishi-san wa Dokoka Okashii
Heiwa no Kuni no Shimazaki e

If some editors see that, please take a look at this list and release them in Europe either in English or French!
Jan 10, 11:06 AM

Apr 2021
Nero_Nan said:
Blooming Love

I just nominated it, a very nice romance with decent characters, I like it a lot.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Feb 23

250 by ponguo »»
Today, 5:16 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

152 by ponguo »»
Today, 5:16 AM

» [Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Apr 6, 2022

206 by knktzvra »»
Jun 23, 11:11 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

110 by ZXZXZXZXZXZXZX »»
Jun 14, 7:19 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

122 by Vaturna »»
Jun 10, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.