Forum Settings
Forums

Are there too few strong female characters in anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 4, 2021 1:03 PM

Jun 2014
There are plenty, although the number of shoujo adaptations is a lot lower these days, which is sad.

If you're looking for a strong, well written female character, look no further than Cure Black from "Futari wa Precure."

Sep 4, 2021 1:07 PM

May 2021
Seiya said:
There are plenty, although the number of shoujo adaptations is a lot lower these days, which is sad.

If you're looking for a strong, well written female character, look no further than Cure Black from "Futari wa Precure."

My favorite Precure 😸

character limit
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Sep 4, 2021 2:28 PM
Jul 2016
e5812 said:
there are more male mcs but there are also a lot of good female mcs, probably the people that say that just got into anime and have watched only the popular stuff and think that its representative of the whole medium, wihch is why nobara and miaksa despite being pretty badly written end up being considered amazing characters because stronk woman" while there are 100 times better ones out there

I agree that Mikasa is terribly written since she is just a hollow robot simp, plus one of the big reasons in bringing down the whole series later on. But eeh Nobara is actually pretty decent imo, she has a strong characterization and style, and i can get behind her appeal, but of course still far from being the best thing in the world.
TheBlackPlagueSep 4, 2021 4:02 PM
Sep 4, 2021 10:08 PM

Jan 2020
I think there's a lot of strong ones. Though I wouldn't mind if there was more

Sep 4, 2021 10:45 PM
Jan 2012
I feel like a lot of the "strong" female characters are mishandled to hell. It honestly feels like the Black Widow situation where many authors don't know what actually makes a strong character and just assumes being strong in battle means strength, but even then they fuck it up in anime, manga and LNs quite often. How many times have we gotten that strong, independent anime female character who can take care of herself, only to get fucked up for whatever dumb reason and require the male main character to save them and accomplish absolutely nothing without him?

Granted, I'm not going that hard on anime for fucking this up since, well, no other medium does it well either, but I'm also not going to delude myself in thinking that there isn't an issue here. The fact that we actually have some examples of well written strong female characters shows that it can be done, so it's weird that it's mishandled this often. Can't even blame this on the fact that anime is mostly aimed towards males, because even Shoujo fucks this up most of the time.
Sep 4, 2021 10:58 PM

Apr 2012
e5812 said:
RobertBobert said:
@exonerate Well, shoujo is understandably overcrowded with overly sexualized and unrealistically represented men, but I've never seen anyone complain about it that much. For some reason, people think that when a woman fantasizes about the ideal man, she just wants to find a good and caring man, but when a man fantasizes about the ideal woman, then he is simply engaged in sexist male fantasies.

its probably because of the double standard that man are always horny and just want attractive girls to fuck while girls want the perfect boyfriend that will treat them kindly and all of that, also shoujos never get adapted and people rarely complain about manga, also it seem like people barely complain about manswervice in general compared to the complaints that there about fanservice for some reason

The ironic thing is that it literally mirrors the Victorian era with its division of genders into "vicious" and "mature and intelligent". People talk a lot about social progress, but in reality they just changed things. I mean, if you look at any "progressive" content these days, you will see that they are either swapping men and women, thinking it will "fix" sexist tropes, or they are just creating queer content with that, thinking, that sexist cliches will not work if the plot is only about women or gay men.

@DigiCat My point is that a couple of years ago people non-ironically tried to argue that androgynous, gender-uncomfortable male characters were revolutionary for shoujo.
Sep 4, 2021 11:17 PM

Nov 2019
Aqua is a powerful goddess, but the circumstances she had been into was unsuitable for her.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 5, 2021 3:44 AM

Oct 2010
I'd say there are many strong female characters, but this isn't so apparent in mainstream shows with a male audience in mind, and therefore focused mainly on male power fantasies. This is not rare to happen, but it can give an overall picture of the industry and its reticence to create compelling heroines, or to treat their feats equally.

With strong here I mean physically, or profficient in fights. There being other types of strength would further complicate the debate.
Sep 5, 2021 5:03 AM

Jul 2014
There’s just so many shows that dive deep into male fantasy, male centric fanservice and even fetishes can be found even in mainstream shows like teen oriented shounen, so the balance feels very skewered.
Even if the MC is a girl, she is often undermined by the male lead, or still sexualized for male viewers. It’s not easy to find a full blooded female oriented fantasy which just indulges, like fantasy for men and boys does.

In anime with only female case the point is kinda moot, cause it’s only girls everywhere, and it tends to be iyashikei… and often kinda safe and wrapped for male viewers like all those cake eating “flower gardens”. The exception being sports stories as you have mentioned.

With agressive sex loaded stories like, idk, Cross Ange or maybe Cutie Honey it’s also pretty obvious who it aimes at.

In shoujo romance and/or fantasy series they still make the male lead to be better. Plus he is often controlling, manipulative and/or rapey. In most cases the end game is a trad relationship with the dude being in the lead. I mean, it’s not bad per se that he’s cool, protective and/or leading, it's not like men don't get their space princesses, but they make him stronger in all things the female lead does, and also in the end it turns out he’s orchestrated all events in the story for her sake or something which is just invalidating and creepy. It’s one of the main things that kills the supposed strong female leads together with hamfisted destress damseling.

And fanservice for women is still pretty modest and rare compared to fanservice for men, plus it is sublimated into gay coded fanservice or replaced with it.

Overall it’s just not very balanced in quantity or quality, there’re clearly some trad sensibilities enforced, and female targeted fanservice is always placed lower on the totem pole and thus exists in more niche spaces like LNs and VNs, dramas, fanfiction. Plus to me it seems that in Japan for women it’s more permissible to ogle men in mlm scenarios. Would be interesting to see whether the villainnes LN and web manhwa trend will affect and change anime somehow, because these do break the mould.

Oh, and also there’re cultural limitations with what we see as strength to begin to, ofc.
Sep 5, 2021 3:02 PM
Mar 2021
there definitely needs to be more female protagonists outside of slice of life/drama/comedy, and they need to not constantly be wanting to jump an OP male lead's bone, and exist for their own story rather than to support a guy's.

but this is a deep, terrible problem in Western media too, especially Hollywood movies which in recent years have had some shallow "girl power" moments but in most actual content have regressed to an embarrassing and gross degree.

I think Japanese cultural problems are exacerbated by media eagerly pandering to NEET otaku's worst instincts, which is why I think Re:Zero and Mushoku Tensei are in some sense good because they have redeeming lessons about touching grass and listening to other people's needs. but now is the time for media to I dunno, encourage boys to see girls as actual people and not mysterious aliens. I don't think media controls people's minds, but it can help or hinder social progress subtly, and media where average boys go to other worlds, become OP and have a harem aren't evil or anything, but cumulatively I feel like a diet of them is kinda poisonous towards boys that, really, really need to touch grass and talk to girls, and not sink entirely into a lonely, pathetic lifestyle.
so my galaxy brain argument here is better female characters might have socially redeeming value for NEETS. does this make sense or am I nuts?
Sep 5, 2021 3:38 PM

May 2021
deadoptimist said:
There’s just so many shows that dive deep into male fantasy, male centric fanservice and even fetishes can be found even in mainstream shows like teen oriented shounen, so the balance feels very skewered.
Even if the MC is a girl, she is often undermined by the male lead, or still sexualized for male viewers. It’s not easy to find a full blooded female oriented fantasy which just indulges, like fantasy for men and boys does.

In anime with only female case the point is kinda moot, cause it’s only girls everywhere, and it tends to be iyashikei… and often kinda safe and wrapped for male viewers like all those cake eating “flower gardens”. The exception being sports stories as you have mentioned.

With agressive sex loaded stories like, idk, Cross Ange or maybe Cutie Honey it’s also pretty obvious who it aimes at.

In shoujo romance and/or fantasy series they still make the male lead to be better. Plus he is often controlling, manipulative and/or rapey. In most cases the end game is a trad relationship with the dude being in the lead. I mean, it’s not bad per se that he’s cool, protective and/or leading, it's not like men don't get their space princesses, but they make him stronger in all things the female lead does, and also in the end it turns out he’s orchestrated all events in the story for her sake or something which is just invalidating and creepy. It’s one of the main things that kills the supposed strong female leads together with hamfisted destress damseling.

And fanservice for women is still pretty modest and rare compared to fanservice for men, plus it is sublimated into gay coded fanservice or replaced with it.

Overall it’s just not very balanced in quantity or quality, there’re clearly some trad sensibilities enforced, and female targeted fanservice is always placed lower on the totem pole and thus exists in more niche spaces like LNs and VNs, dramas, fanfiction. Plus to me it seems that in Japan for women it’s more permissible to ogle men in mlm scenarios. Would be interesting to see whether the villainnes LN and web manhwa trend will affect and change anime somehow, because these do break the mould.

Oh, and also there’re cultural limitations with what we see as strength to begin to, ofc.

Well, believe it or not we agree on one thing, there is very little fanservice for women compared to for men (at least as far as I've seen)

But everything else, strongly disagree

For one, a show doesn't need to be specifically aimed at you in every single way for you to be able to enjoy it

And 2, what the hell are you talking about most shoujos having the male character be better than the female, stronger than her in whatever she does, and having him be controlling, manipulative and/or rapey ???

Please give me some examples of shoujos which do this, 'cause most of the shoujos (and shounens) I grew up with had good female and male characters each with their strengths and weaknesses
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Sep 5, 2021 5:08 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I imagine they're relatively new to the medium. It's a certainty if they say JJK almost invented the strong female character in shonen.
Sep 5, 2021 5:09 PM

Jul 2014
DigiCat said:
For one, a show doesn't need to be specifically aimed at you in every single way for you to be able to enjoy it

Yeah, but when you never get anything squarely aimed at you when others get it also starts to grate.

DigiCat said:
Please give me some examples of shoujos which do this, 'cause most of the shoujos (and shounens) I grew up with had good female and male characters each with their strengths and weaknesses

Ngl, I am mostly coming from manga side, it’s just that it has been on my mind lately. In anime things may be somewhat better thanks to novel adaptations, though I am not sure whether it’s true at this very moment.

But I am familiar with quite a few stories which have been adapted. And, say, Yona – despite the fact that her story is about reclaiming the throne, she is extremely childish, knows nothing and is carried by her guard and magical helpers who follow her not because of what she does, but what she is.

I respect Shirayuki as a professional, but she gets accepted by the royal dudes very fast as family, so it’s very smooth sailing for her.

I refuse to watch/read The Ancient Magus’ Bride because she sells herself into slavery willingly when faced with hardships and the story basically ignores this.

In more typical romance like Vampire Knight it feels like the girl is a macguffin sometimes.

Even in Psycho Pass, which I consider to be targeted at women, the MC is very important, but it’s Kougami who is the star genius who outsmarts all.

I mean – randomly – in Akudama Drive, which is the last show on my list, female characters are indeed important. But then Swindler’s role is Madonna-like ethical and sacrificial, and in the scene where she fights she is not given the ability to win on her own, she’s still rescued in the end. She’s killed several of her attackers, why cannot she just win on her own?

Even in Hisone no Masotan, which is a very good show in terms of female character variety, there’s a big chunk about girls not being able to fly their dragons after falling in love, much less losing virginity. And they are shrine maidens in the end with a male priest in the center of the ritual.

It’s just that in most cases there’s one trope or another, so the itch to see a female MC with real agency remains unscratched. A female main character who has personal goals, which are not purely romance, achieves them herself on a fair playing field by her own strength, and is not overshadowed by a man is hard to come by.
deadoptimistSep 5, 2021 5:13 PM
Sep 5, 2021 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
People really complain that there's not enough strong female characters? That's dumb. There's a lot of strong female characters.
Sep 5, 2021 7:01 PM

Sep 2013
What do people even mean when they say "strong female character"? I feel like people who say this just want a chick who beats people up and acts like a man.
There's no need for all this tension.
Sep 5, 2021 7:01 PM

Sep 2021
I don't think every single female character needs to be like that. Its just kind of cringey to see a bunch of fan service or female characters acting needlessly frail or naive.
Sep 5, 2021 7:17 PM

Jan 2009
To play devils advocate, there are obviously strong female characters, but shows with female leads is much rarer, and I think that's what tends to bring this point up. Obviously ot exists like ghost in the shell. But even in shows like Black Lagoon where the draw is Revy she's not the main protagonist.
Sep 5, 2021 8:52 PM

Jul 2017
DigiCat said:
And 2, what the hell are you talking about most shoujos having the male character be better than the female, stronger than her in whatever she does, and having him be controlling, manipulative and/or rapey ???

not OP but off the top of my head:

Miniamaru Kareshi
Nanoka no Kare
Yoru no Yomeiri
Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai

but either way @deadoptimist is right, a lot of shoujo/josei tend to have female characters who are just there to fill the role of main character. Especially if you look at josei smut, I'd wager a good more than half the FL's there are beyond stupid lmao
Sep 5, 2021 11:34 PM

May 2021
deadoptimist said:
DigiCat said:

Yeah, but when you never get anything squarely aimed at you when others get it also starts to grate.

DigiCat said:

Ngl, I am mostly coming from manga side, it’s just that it has been on my mind lately. In anime things may be somewhat better thanks to novel adaptations, though I am not sure whether it’s true at this very moment.

But I am familiar with quite a few stories which have been adapted. And, say, Yona – despite the fact that her story is about reclaiming the throne, she is extremely childish, knows nothing and is carried by her guard and magical helpers who follow her not because of what she does, but what she is.

I respect Shirayuki as a professional, but she gets accepted by the royal dudes very fast as family, so it’s very smooth sailing for her.

I refuse to watch/read The Ancient Magus’ Bride because she sells herself into slavery willingly when faced with hardships and the story basically ignores this.

In more typical romance like Vampire Knight it feels like the girl is a macguffin sometimes.

Even in Psycho Pass, which I consider to be targeted at women, the MC is very important, but it’s Kougami who is the star genius who outsmarts all.

I mean – randomly – in Akudama Drive, which is the last show on my list, female characters are indeed important. But then Swindler’s role is Madonna-like ethical and sacrificial, and in the scene where she fights she is not given the ability to win on her own, she’s still rescued in the end. She’s killed several of her attackers, why cannot she just win on her own?

Even in Hisone no Masotan, which is a very good show in terms of female character variety, there’s a big chunk about girls not being able to fly their dragons after falling in love, much less losing virginity. And they are shrine maidens in the end with a male priest in the center of the ritual.

It’s just that in most cases there’s one trope or another, so the itch to see a female MC with real agency remains unscratched. A female main character who has personal goals, which are not purely romance, achieves them herself on a fair playing field by her own strength, and is not overshadowed by a man is hard to come by.

Nope, the shows I watched are mostly from manga or are anime originals, and I always remember there being a fair playing field

I haven't watched the shows you mentioned, but I do plan to watch Yona, so I can give my thoughts on that once I've watched it

You seem to make a point of female MCs needing to reach their goals all by themselves, honestly I don't see anything wrong with getting/needing help along the way, you say it like it's something demeaning that only happens to females, but I've seen many stories with male MCs who got help along the way by their female friends, it's a perfectly normal thing to help out your friends, isn't it?
Sep 5, 2021 11:59 PM

Apr 2012
-kyarameru- said:
People really complain that there's not enough strong female characters? That's dumb. There's a lot of strong female characters.

Really. During the premiere of JJK, a bunch of articles appeared in the Western media, according to which Nobara was practically the first strong and independent shonen female lead in history. To the point that her speech on equality was seen as a religious revelation for the genre.
RobertBobertSep 6, 2021 12:39 AM
Sep 6, 2021 12:38 AM

Nov 2019

>Western media
Ah, the middle ages

No, I don't think so. We need strong characters in terms of writing, and I think anime fares quite better than most other media, even though the ratio is still more tipped towards males. What is the Western view of a strong wamen? Rey from Star Wars?

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 6, 2021 12:41 AM

Apr 2012
Laplace_kun said:

>Western media
Ah, the middle ages

No, I don't think so. We need strong characters in terms of writing, and I think anime fares quite better than most other media, even though the ratio is still more tipped towards males. What is the Western view of a strong wamen? Rey from Star Wars?

Last time I heard these words to describe the new He-Man. Not so good at following Western media at this time, but judging by the meme on Twitter, the modern strong female character is a stereotypical butch lesbian who has abandoned any stereotypically feminine things.
Sep 6, 2021 12:50 AM

Nov 2019
RobertBobert said:

Last time I heard these words to describe the new He-Man. Not so good at following Western media at this time, but judging by the meme on Twitter, the modern strong female character is a stereotypical butch lesbian who has abandoned any stereotypically feminine things.

Lmao, ignore this stuff. Chill and enjoy what is meant to be enjoyed. Don't let such bs taint anime.
Also, I'd love an actually well-written, non-misandric lesbian character.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 6, 2021 12:55 AM

Apr 2012
Laplace_kun said:
RobertBobert said:

Lmao, ignore this stuff. Chill and enjoy what is meant to be enjoyed. Don't let such bs taint anime.
Also, I'd love an actually well-written, non-misandric lesbian character.

I have no problem with lesbian characters, but I don't like it when the media and shippers require me to buy most of the female characters as lesbians because of their expectations.
Sep 6, 2021 1:08 AM

Mar 2020
Not particularly no, but there certainly aren't that many strong female characters compared to the males.

I think JJK is just said to be so because it's the most recent anime with female characters that aren't just there for the sake of romance but can hold their own ground without the help of a male character.

@deadoptimist nailed the problem with most "female lead" anime right on.

JudevinSep 6, 2021 1:12 AM
Sep 6, 2021 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
Not particularly no, but there certainly aren't that many strong female characters compared to the males.

I think JJK is just said to be so because it's the most recent anime with female characters that aren't just there for the sake of romance but can hold their own ground without the help of a male character.

@deadoptimist nailed the problem with most "female lead" anime right on.

I don't understand why the feelings and help of male characters should be perceived as weakness. This increasingly comes to such comical dimensions that in Witch Academia, one of the stuff's dialogues directly implied that they had to remove the love interest from the plot, as it allegedly transformed her efforts into efforts for him. At the same time, for some reason, it is considered normal if another female character played an important role in the success of a female character. Are the efforts of a woman devalued if a man helped her?

Does Mikasa or Nakiri become more weak characters because of their love interest being too much involed in their destiny?

Coming back to the topic of shonen, what about Ochako? Other female characters from MHA? Yes, Ochako has feelings for Deku and the shippers see it as a ruintation of her character development, but she is a pretty lively person with her own goals and except for extreme situations that require MC intervention, she will take care of herself quite well.
Sep 6, 2021 1:40 AM
Dec 2019
Honestly many mainstream shounens lack strong and well-written female characters (naruto, jjba, bnha...) and that's just a sad fact. As a female viewer, it definitely sticks out to me a lot, which is often the reason why I can't bring myself to give these animes as high scores I would otherwise give them.

And let's not even talk about all the harem isekais that have recently been coming out...
Sep 6, 2021 1:48 AM

May 2021
Sarqux said:
Honestly many mainstream shounens lack strong and well-written female characters (naruto, jjba, bnha...) and that's just a sad fact. As a female viewer, it definitely sticks out to me a lot, which is often the reason why I can't bring myself to give these animes as high scores I would otherwise give them.

And let's not even talk about all the harem isekais that have recently been coming out...

You sure we're watching the same stuff??

'Cause me, as a female viewer who mostly watches shounens, have seen a good amount of well written strong female characters, some of which I can even relate to
Sep 6, 2021 1:49 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
I don't understand why the feelings and help of male characters should be perceived as weakness. This increasingly comes to such comical dimensions that in Witch Academia, one of the stuff's dialogues directly implied that they had to remove the love interest from the plot, as it allegedly transformed her efforts into efforts for him. At the same time, for some reason, it is considered normal if another female character played an important role in the success of a female character. Are the efforts of a woman devalued if a man helped her?

Does Mikasa or Nakiri become more weak characters because of their love interest being too much involed in their destiny?

Coming back to the topic of shonen, what about Ochako? Other female characters from MHA? Yes, Ochako has feelings for Deku and the shippers see it as a ruintation of her character development, but she is a pretty lively person with her own goals and except for extreme situations that require MC intervention, she will take care of herself quite well.
I don't think people consider it "weakness" to be honest, it's more so that it's already a stereotype at this point in media, so when you get a female that pulls off shit by herself, people always find it fascinating because it essentially breaks the norm. The problem really is that people see the "girl in love" stereotype being played out way too often and it's boring. So when a female character does NOT follow that, people think it's amazing, and I agree with that consensus as you can see in my favs lmao.

Similarly when a female helps a female, you just don't see that often right? Anything that breaks the stereotype is considered unique by the audience, so it's really just about breaking the norm. To JJK's credit, even though it's a very typical shounen, the characters are written well enough that most people liked them, hence the praise for Nobara and Maki. They're certainly not the "first" though, I can assure you.

Sep 6, 2021 2:00 AM
Dec 2019
DigiCat said:
Sarqux said:

'Cause me, as a female viewer who mostly watches shounens, have seen a good amount of well written strong female characters, some of which I can even relate to

there are good female characters out there too ofc!! I like demon slayers and jujutsu kaisens female cast a lot, but a lot of the other shounens I've watched just feel.. dissapointing to say the least :')

what are your favorite shows when it comes to female characters?
Sep 6, 2021 2:09 AM

Jul 2014
DigiCat said:
You seem to make a point of female MCs needing to reach their goals all by themselves, honestly I don't see anything wrong with getting/needing help along the way, you say it like it's something demeaning that only happens to females, but I've seen many stories with male MCs who got help along the way by their female friends, it's a perfectly normal thing to help out your friends, isn't it?

I actually agree that it is better when characters use some help, extreme loner characters are often annoying and unrealistic.

The thing is it’s a complex matter - it's important who is the focus of the story, who’s ahead, who’s in control, whose goals are primary. In shounen support girls may be strong and have their own arcs, but it’s male MCs who will do that final effort and the final strike - and get the glory. Magical weapon princesses would give powers to male MCs. And even if the heroine is the focus, it’s rare for male supports to defer to her fully. Also it's rare for girl characters to pursue personal goals - they get only the caring, altruistic side of the package, cause women are, culturally, caregivers, that’s the good quality they have to display, ambition is not that commendable.

It’s an effect of the broad culture. Women often want strong partners, so female characters reach their happy ending by "marrying up", so to say. But this makes them give way to their male lovers. In male fantasy the main character will come out on top in all aspects, it’s much more organic, habitual, and expected for him to be stronger than even his partner. It’s understandably hard for creators to disconnect with this pattern, ngl.

Also the part about the same playing field is very important. Take JJK – the girl character of the main trio has some good sides to her, she’s powerful, she’s often rough, she even isn’t afraid of femininity, and her main motivation is her female friend. But she seems to exist in another dimension from boys – her plotlines are separate, her opponents tend to be other women.

Women may and would fight other women in action, but to make a woman win over a man, play a big part in the main story over other men is a whole another matter, even if the powers used are mystical and therefor she isn’t supposed to be handicapped like in physical fights.

It's like female characters may be strong, but that final step to make them their own heroes is rarely made, and after a while people start to notice it.
deadoptimistSep 6, 2021 2:13 AM
Sep 6, 2021 2:12 AM

May 2021
Sarqux said:
DigiCat said:

there are good female characters out there too ofc!! I like demon slayers and jujutsu kaisens female cast a lot, but a lot of the other shounens I've watched just feel.. dissapointing to say the least :')

I like Demon Slayer too, still have to watch Jujutsu Kaisen though

I mean, I don't pick my fav shows based on the female characters, but here's some of my fav shounens with female characters I like, some of which are my fav characters

Digimon
Zatch Bell
Fullmetal Alchemists
Full Metal Panic
Attack On Titan
Sword Art Online
Black Lagoon
Code Geass
Noragami
Sep 6, 2021 2:18 AM
Dec 2019
DigiCat said:
Sarqux said:

I mean, I don't pick my fav shows based on the female characters, but here's some of my fav shounens with female characters I like, some of which are my fav characters

Digimon
Zatch Bell
Fullmetal Alchemists
Full Metal Panic
Attack On Titan
Sword Art Online
Black Lagoon
Code Geass
Noragami

Attack on titan is great, haven't had time yet to watch the others. Code Geass and Black lagoon seem interesting. thanks for the recs :)
Sep 6, 2021 2:20 AM

May 2021
Sarqux said:
DigiCat said:

Digimon
Zatch Bell
Fullmetal Alchemists
Full Metal Panic
Attack On Titan
Sword Art Online
Black Lagoon
Code Geass
Noragami

Attack on titan is great, haven't had time yet to watch the others. Code Geass and Black lagoon seem interesting. thanks for the recs :)

No problem, hope you enjoy :3

character limit
Sep 6, 2021 2:36 AM

Mar 2020
That's because most mainstream shounen (and isekai I guess, tho I don't watch those) animes have female characters that are underdeveloped, oversexualized and/or their character revolves around their love for (mostly) the mc. Or characters like Nezuko, who is more like a little cute pet and plot device than an actual character. The reason why people said Jjk was revolutional (which it isn't of course) was because it's one of the rarer shounens where female characters are handled the same way as male characters.
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Sep 6, 2021 3:13 AM

Oct 2020
People like to bitch and moan about this regarding any entertainment medium, although in my opinion anime has way more such characters (and also portrayed better, more naturally, not diversity forced down your throat) than its western counterpart.
Sep 6, 2021 3:19 AM

Oct 2010
@deadoptimist Couple things about Hisone and Yona, while I don't disagree with your general line. A bit of spoilering, but since it's something very general and ambiguous I don't think I'll need the tags.

First off, it is established early that Yona is useless in fighting and survival on her own because that is the very point of the character, she is a princess who never had to be adept in combat. I don't know how does the manga go on but the anime points at a clear progression towards learning to fight and standing for their own.

As for Hisone, I think it gets a bit confused with its own politics at some point but the end message is clear: the MC is able to overcome tradition and her "natural" limitations and achieves something on her own and without the need to sacrifice anything she cherishes.

Like, there's a point to the lack of female characters with strength and agency right from the beginning but that doesn't mean that underdog protagonists are necessarily something bad or demeaning. I'm watching another shojo right now which follows this trope of a main female character going from useless to adept and profficient and I'd say it's quite satisfying as a character growth narrative.
Sep 6, 2021 3:20 AM

Apr 2012
Judevin said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't think people consider it "weakness" to be honest, it's more so that it's already a stereotype at this point in media, so when you get a female that pulls off shit by herself, people always find it fascinating because it essentially breaks the norm. The problem really is that people see the "girl in love" stereotype being played out way too often and it's boring. So when a female character does NOT follow that, people think it's amazing, and I agree with that consensus as you can see in my favs lmao.

Similarly when a female helps a female, you just don't see that often right? Anything that breaks the stereotype is considered unique by the audience, so it's really just about breaking the norm. To JJK's credit, even though it's a very typical shounen, the characters are written well enough that most people liked them, hence the praise for Nobara and Maki. They're certainly not the "first" though, I can assure you.

I just don't understand all this shit with gender war and constant race between female and male fiction. We've gotten to the point where any strong female character, let alone lead, will be perceived as feminist pandering. On the other hand, you can no longer enjoy a fan service for men, because it supposedly makes you a horny incel who hates women (this contradicts itself, but okay).

I do not understand why the issue of gender relations should be treated as if we are talking about an ancient national conflict.

Xerx62 said:
That's because most mainstream shounen (and isekai I guess, tho I don't watch those) animes have female characters that are underdeveloped, oversexualized and/or their character revolves around their love for (mostly) the mc. Or characters like Nezuko, who is more like a little cute pet and plot device than an actual character. The reason why people said Jjk was revolutional (which it isn't of course) was because it's one of the rarer shounens where female characters are handled the same way as male characters.

How much do you know shoujo, where male characters are handled the same way as female characters? Even my favorite shoujo is basically everygirl + absurdly perfect guy. But even people who hate shoujo don't complain about it.

As for shonens, how about an ancient franchise like Sket Dance? Hime is literally the most physically strong and intelligent character in the main three. I don't remember Bleach well already, but it didn't look like their female lead was a bad character.
Sep 6, 2021 4:29 AM

Jun 2021
Maybe, but there are anime's like AOT, vivy, sao and many more where they are one of the strongest characters
Sep 6, 2021 5:01 AM

Jul 2014
jal90 said:
@deadoptimist Couple things about Hisone and Yona, while I don't disagree with your general line. A bit of spoilering, but since it's something very general and ambiguous I don't think I'll need the tags.

First off, it is established early that Yona is useless in fighting and survival on her own because that is the very point of the character, she is a princess who never had to be adept in combat. I don't know how does the manga go on but the anime points at a clear progression towards learning to fight and standing for their own.

As for Hisone, I think it gets a bit confused with its own politics at some point but the end message is clear: the MC is able to overcome tradition and her "natural" limitations and achieves something on her own and without the need to sacrifice anything she cherishes.

Like, there's a point to the lack of female characters with strength and agency right from the beginning but that doesn't mean that underdog protagonists are necessarily something bad or demeaning. I'm watching another shojo right now which follows this trope of a main female character going from useless to adept and profficient and I'd say it's quite satisfying as a character growth narrative.

Sure, there’s nothing wrong with a character learning. I hope it doesn’t seem that I demand insta OPness, I am talking more about the general tendency and bring up these examples to demonstrate how my expectations of strength were broken.

With Hisone it is indeed more political. I adore the show, the scene where the heroine runs around the field shrieking gives me life, but making love into an obstacle for girls stung and felt too close to purity policing. I am not sure they really solved this too.

I cannot take the story in Yona seriously, cause magical dragon boners and pirates and so much silliness. It’s more like after reading it and several similar works each with the same issue I tried to find a manga where the protagonist was a princess who wielded her political power fully – and couldn’t find even one. Now I have dived into webtoons, and they offer these plots – it’s painfully obvious how different it feels to have a protag with agency.
Sep 6, 2021 6:30 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:

Xerx62 said:

How much do you know shoujo, where male characters are handled the same way as female characters? Even my favorite shoujo is basically everygirl + absurdly perfect guy. But even people who hate shoujo don't complain about it.

As for shonens, how about an ancient franchise like Sket Dance? Hime is literally the most physically strong and intelligent character in the main three. I don't remember Bleach well already, but it didn't look like their female lead was a bad character.

I don't understand where you're going with the shoujo thing, and how it relates to what I said.
Sket Dance "ancient franchise"? Maybe I just don't get this joke. Anyways I have not watched Sket Dance but I never claimed that there are no shounens with strong female characters.
About Bleach, it's definitely not a very good example here. I also watched/read Bleach long ago, but as far as I can remember, most of it's female characters are oversexualized and the main two girls are damsel in the distresses. They aren't bad characters tho, except for Orihime. Her character mostly revolved around Ichigo and didn't have much else going for her.
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Sep 6, 2021 6:31 AM

Jul 2019
I think it's bias confirmation, strong and well developed female characters are easy to find.

This case seems to me like the situation where you complain about finding only sluts on a p*rn site, it may be an exaggeration but that's more or less how it happens.

there is also people's conception of what a strong character would be and what exactly they are looking for, which comes back to the example I gave above.

It is necessary to understand that finding strong and well-developed characters is not enough for these people, the character also needs to be close in terms of personality with the spectator.

There are several cases where people complain just to exercise power over other people, and not because they have any genuine interest in the animanga stuff, that is, this concerns more a personal matter of a person or a group than the industry itself, this applies to things other than animanga.

There are many motivations behind this issue, but I believe that those mentioned are the most common, and can be resolved with a "just look for it right", it just depends on the person's interest.
English is not my main language
Sep 6, 2021 6:44 AM

Apr 2012
Xerx62 said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't understand where you're going with the shoujo thing, and how it relates to what I said.
Sket Dance "ancient franchise"? Maybe I just don't get this joke. Anyways I have not watched Sket Dance but I never claimed that there are no shounens with strong female characters.
About Bleach, it's definitely not a very good example here. I also watched/read Bleach long ago, but as far as I can remember, most of it's female characters are oversexualized and the main two girls are damsel in the distresses. They aren't bad characters tho, except for Orihime. Her character mostly revolved around Ichigo and didn't have much else going for her.

Well, your comment actually sounded very strong like you think most of the female characters in shonen are pretty bad.
Sep 6, 2021 7:33 AM
Jun 2021
There are many strong female characters in anime.
Sep 6, 2021 7:51 AM

Jan 2018
Strong in what? Mentally or physically or just being a well-written character in general? Either way there are are strong females out there, just watch more anime 4Head.
Sep 6, 2021 7:58 AM
Jul 2013
Characters don't necessarily have to be strong. They just have to be actual characters to make people feel they are meaningful and have some kind of a purpose. When looking at female representation in animes on average, quite a few of them are just tits galore and not actual characters, and since female characters are often associated with fanservice, threads such as this one pop up every once in a while.
Sep 6, 2021 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
I would certainly welcome more strong female characters. I do think the majority of protagonists in anime are guys, probably due to more conservative standards. I guess manga companies don't want something far removed from the norm.
Sep 6, 2021 8:46 AM

Apr 2012
If social media is where these fickle fair weather fans are coming from then don't pay attention to that toxic crowd. They mostly don't know what's beyond mainstream anime and would change their opinions as quickly as a tweet.

Anime_Freak01022 said:
There are many strong female characters in anime.

+1
FACTS
Janethan23Sep 6, 2021 8:55 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Sep 6, 2021 2:15 PM

Nov 2009
How is strength being determined? That needs to be answered first.
Sep 6, 2021 2:25 PM

Apr 2020
I always felt like Anime was that one Medium that depicted "Strong Woman" pretty much before it was a thing.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

20 by epidemia78 »»
2 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

62 by Levi »»
4 minutes ago

» What would you choose: Good voice acting with bad translations or Bad voice acting with good translations?

funtime43_tr - 14 minutes ago

4 by perseii »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

73 by Pinoffin »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

73 by StyxParadise »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.