Forum Settings
Forums

Trump sparks anger by calling coronavirus the 'Chinese virus'

New
Mar 17, 2020 12:54 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 17, 2020 1:21 AM

Jul 2007
Frankly it would be easier to report on things Trump says that people don't get mad about.
Mar 17, 2020 1:29 AM

Jan 2009
lol a world leader being racist in this day of age
Mar 17, 2020 1:52 AM

Sep 2018
Scud said:
Frankly it would be easier to report on things Trump says that isn't fucking idiotic.

fixed that for you.
Mar 17, 2020 3:08 AM
Feb 2012
deg said:

Okay, I'll bite. What did Trump say that was racist?
Mar 17, 2020 3:44 AM

Mar 2008
"Chinese virus" actually can also mean "the Chinese are a virus". It can be easily interpreted as a Freudian slip especially if you compare it to things he's said about China before. Aside from that it can also be a political tool that can be used to further attempt at making China an enemy as well as pass blame for his own administration's subpar handling of the pandemic in the US.
Mar 17, 2020 4:03 AM

Jan 2017
traed said:
"Chinese virus" actually can also mean "the Chinese are a virus". It can be easily interpreted as a Freudian slip especially if you compare it to things he's said about China before. Aside from that it can also be a political tool that can be used to further attempt at making China an enemy as well as pass blame for his own administration's subpar handling of the pandemic in the US.
You do realize the CCP are a virus correct? They're economically invading other nations left and right, causing issues in the South China Sea and also treat their own people as cattle, not to mention they're destroying our planet with pollution. They've spread across the world rooting their influence left and right exactly like a virus.

That isn't directed at "Chinese" people though, as a nationality/race, but against "The Chinese" as in the people in power such as the CCP. They are a threat to every nation who's become self-reliant on them and the current situation has show just how fucked nations are when the supply lines are cut off.

Mar 17, 2020 4:12 AM

Mar 2008
Cneq said:
traed said:
You do realize the CCP are a virus correct? They're economically invading other nations left and right, causing issues in the South China Sea and also treat their own people as cattle, not to mention they're destroying our planet with pollution. They've spread across the world rooting their influence left and right exactly like a virus.

That isn't directed at "Chinese" people though, as a nationality/race, but against "The Chinese" as in the people in power such as the CCP. They are a threat to every nation who's become self-reliant on them and the current situation has show just how fucked nations are when the supply lines are cut off.

When China does it it's a virus and when America does the same it's spreading freedom and prosperity, right? Heh
Mar 17, 2020 4:21 AM

Jan 2017
traed said:
Cneq said:

When China does it it's a virus and when America does the same it's spreading freedom and prosperity, right? Heh
1. The US doesn't have a monopoly on HUNDREDS of areas of commerce like China does [Medicine, plastics, manufacturing, just about anything you can think of has some part of it made in China and since countries decided for China to be the scapegoat of pollution since they didn't want to make that trash in their own countries they decided to let china do it, not to mention the literal slave labour going on there which in turn = cheaper prices for manufacturing.

2. The US isn't constantly buying up land in foreign countries and in turn rising the cost of living for the natives. The Chinese own at least 50% of Australia and this has crippled home grown companies and have caused others to completely shut their doors, for example holden cars.

3. The US doesn't treat their people like garbage nor do they run a police state where speaking out against a government official will land you behind bars.

You can't even compare China to the US, it's completely fucking impossible. While I do hate China for what they've done it doesn't mean I don't respect the power they control nor the trials they had to go through to get there, even if that form of power is of the oppressive and morally grey variety, power and cunning is still power and cunning.

The Chinese were victims of the exact type of self-reliance back with the opium wars and they learned the value of international trade and relations and now it's come right around to bite the west in the ass.
Mar 17, 2020 4:48 AM

Dec 2012
traed said:
That's an insane amount of reaching. Might as well say it's racist to call pizza Italian food. Also, while handling corona is the #1 priority, China needs to be held fully responsible once this situation is under control. The world is owed 100% transparency so that we can both take proper precautions for the future as well as hold those who were at fault accountable.
Mar 17, 2020 5:02 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I mean, technically speaking he's not wrong.
Mar 17, 2020 5:06 AM

Oct 2017
People are dying but there it's still time to get offended by something that shouldn't offend people, classic.

Scud said:
Frankly it would be easier to report on things Trump says that people don't get mad about.

True, the guy breathing seems enough to get people pissed.
HeimurMar 17, 2020 5:12 AM

Mar 17, 2020 5:21 AM

Jan 2009
Daisetsu1 said:
deg said:

Okay, I'll bite. What did Trump say that was racist?

you are thinking too literally just think of the consequences since there is a reason the World Health Organization did not name it Wuhan Virus like the Spanish Flu was because the Chinese can be seen as low life eating wild life like bats that can be considered disgusting to people outside of China

EDIT:

As weeks went by, people began calling it "Wuhan virus." But that's a problematic label. World Health Organization guidelines for naming infectious diseases, issued in 2015, discourage names that refer to specific places, people and professions, aiming to avoid negative repercussions from stigmatizing a geographic area or a population group.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/11/802352351/new-coronavirus-gets-an-official-name-from-the-world-health-organization
Mar 17, 2020 5:22 AM

Dec 2018
Did he not understand why it was called Covid 19 and not the Wuhan Virus? It was because of this reason.
Mar 17, 2020 5:43 AM

Feb 2015
I'm triggered by this. I'm literally shaking. Send help, please.
Mar 17, 2020 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
To be fair, no one said the name MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) was racist and that generalizes a whole region. That double standard should probably be cleared up.
Mar 17, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2016
Monochrosanity said:
Did he not understand why it was called Covid 19 and not the Wuhan Virus? It was because of this reason.

To not offend cry babies?
Mar 17, 2020 8:46 AM

May 2016
Trump is always pissing people off, it isn't new. I say co 19 for short regardless.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Mar 17, 2020 8:50 AM

Dec 2018
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Monochrosanity said:

If you name it something like Wuhan virus no one will go to Wuhan in the next 50 years. It’s not about offending people, it’s about making sure you don’t ruin a cities tourism industry. It’s fairly obvious that people living in Wuhan won’t be too appreciative of the name “Wuhan Virus.”
MonochrosanityMar 17, 2020 8:53 AM
Mar 17, 2020 8:53 AM

May 2016
Monochrosanity said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:

If you name it something like Wuhan virus no one will go to Wuhan in the next 50 years. It’s not about offending people, it’s about making sure you don’t ruin a cities tourism industry.

Who is going to do that? They'll avoid it until the pandemic is over in a year or 2. When everyone gets vaccines.
Mar 17, 2020 9:04 AM

Dec 2018
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Monochrosanity said:

If you name it something like Wuhan virus no one will go to Wuhan in the next 50 years. It’s not about offending people, it’s about making sure you don’t ruin a cities tourism industry.

Who is going to do that? They'll avoid it until the pandemic is over in a year or 2. When everyone gets vaccines.

A lot of people will avoid going to a place that a pandemic is named after. People do crazy things for crazy reasons. Plus China aren’t very happy with the name “China virus” or “Wuhan virus”, see here. Either way naming it something more basic such as Covid 19 makes everyone happy and doesn’t have a chance to hinder a cities tourism industry.
Mar 17, 2020 9:07 AM
Feb 2017
This is honestly too funny lmao.
Mar 17, 2020 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
I bet he forgot the name and called it the chinese virus then. He is not exceptionally smart and things he says are not to be taken serious anyway.
Mar 17, 2020 11:53 AM

Mar 2011
Wow, how that can be interpreted from multiple-ways is actually impressive. Not that the one saying it is, just how any posts in this thread, or all, could be correct.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Mar 17, 2020 1:02 PM

Mar 2008
Bayek said:
traed said:
That's an insane amount of reaching. Might as well say it's racist to call pizza Italian food. Also, while handling corona is the #1 priority, China needs to be held fully responsible once this situation is under control. The world is owed 100% transparency so that we can both take proper precautions for the future as well as hold those who were at fault accountable.

Pretty sure no one has ever compaired someone to something life sustaining in a negative way. It's always viruses, infections, cancer, parasites, pests and what is perceived as dangerous dumb dirty animals. I never said that is what he intentionally meant.

Do you even know why so many viruses appear in China? Aside from population size and density and animal proximity among other things it's possibly because their soil is deficient in selenium. Many Chinese are selenium defient so they are more vulnerable to certain viruses.
Mar 17, 2020 1:36 PM

Feb 2016
there's no need to make a large deal out of it, but it was a stupid thing to do as a prominent political leader. then again, he's already demonstrated quite a few times that he's not good at thinking ahead...

i like soup

Mar 17, 2020 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
Well... he's right you know, in a way. I mean.
Also is this really the time to get triggered over what we call the virus? to a degree the Chinese govt. is kinda responsible for this blowing out of proportion for hiding needed information about the virus.
Mar 17, 2020 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
i just want to see a vaccine with a label that says "made in China"
Mar 17, 2020 2:42 PM

May 2019
Trump said something that can be taken the wrong way.
More news at 11.

Seriously, when will people get tired with obsessing over his tweets? It just pulls media scrutiny from things that actually matter.
Mar 17, 2020 4:03 PM

Oct 2012
I've given up trying to convince racist people they're racist. They'll always be woe is me while stepping on everyone else, like anti-vaxxers. I mean like just call me a chink so we both know who we are.

In a sense, being anti-progress is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why help others when everyone around you is as nasty as you are? It makes sense, right? The only thing is that this isn't really conservatism either, so as long as don't call it what it's not, I'm fine with it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 17, 2020 4:06 PM

Oct 2012
Trump could literally get sued for discrimination against black people in the real estate that he runs and people would still be like, "Why is he racist?" and make excuses -- oh, that's true by the way.

I bet when OJ Simpson wrote "If I Did It", you thought that he didn't, because he didn't say he did. Or maybe you thought he did before the trial because he's black.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Oct 2015
Are you telling me Corona-chan isn't Chinese?? That means we have a serious case of cultural appropriation on our hands everyone.
Mar 17, 2020 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
I bet he forgot the name and called it the chinese virus then. He is not exceptionally smart and things he says are not to be taken serious anyway.
It's kind of hard to forget the name Coronavirus when it's unavoidable news that's everywhere and the guy is in the white house.
Mar 17, 2020 6:19 PM

May 2013
I don't mind Trump about this and have become his fan again. Sue me liberals.

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Mar 17, 2020 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
not surprising, look at all the other shit he's done and the amount of times ppl tried to cancel him yet here he is because his followers love simping for him

AmeriKKKa is fucked. i cannot wait to see people's anguish when they have to choose between Trump and minority sniffer Biden
Mar 17, 2020 6:58 PM

Dec 2018
Ah shit. Should I be a delusional alpha and defend Mr Trump right now so that I won't look like a fag, or should I just be disgusted like a fag? Righteousness just doesn't exist on the internet.
. . .
Mar 17, 2020 7:44 PM

Nov 2013
Liberal dems caring about shit that doesn't matter instead of anything of value because they have no actual platform has been overdone for years now.

I can see you

Mar 17, 2020 8:00 PM

Jul 2019
I'm Chinese and I know I should be offended but whatever. A lot of stuff doesn't offend me and this is one of the times I do not care. If he calls it the "Chinese Virus", then he calls it that. Like many people call him the worst president, he don't care. But I can see why people are mad, he made a racist comment but I doubt he's gonna apologize.
Mar 17, 2020 8:01 PM

Jul 2019
Maenads said:
People are mad about...oh wait it is the guardian, and twitter. That is where all the whiny fucks go to complain about everything. The virus literally came from China. It is not a French virus. It is not a Turkish virus.

FRENCH VIRUS LMAO. But yea he's calling it Chinese Virus cause it came from China
Mar 17, 2020 8:22 PM

Feb 2018
I think he used the words "chinese virus" instead of covid-19/coronavirus because these words were so repetitive to the point that it doesn't sound like a word anymore, so he decided to change it up a little and this is the result. Imagine being a country leader right now in amidst of this pandemic, you'd probably be tired of hearing the same word(s) as well.
Many in China call it wuhan virus on their social media, and many countries neighbouring china (ie. India) have used "Chinese Virus" as well, and not with any (presumably) bad intent against the populace.I guess I just got used to seeing these words, so it doesn't bother me tbh. (Though admittedly, COVID-19 does seem to be the most popular choice of words to describe this virus even in those regions).
Mar 17, 2020 9:24 PM
Jul 2011
I have a feeling that the word "Chinese Virus" is going to be misused for some misguided reasons.
That is all.
And this is the coming from the most recent US President, who knows how his way of use of this kind of wording going to affect the world?
Mar 17, 2020 9:28 PM

May 2013
guych said:
Maenads said:
People are mad about...oh wait it is the guardian, and twitter. That is where all the whiny fucks go to complain about everything. The virus literally came from China. It is not a French virus. It is not a Turkish virus.

FRENCH VIRUS LMAO. But yea he's calling it Chinese Virus cause it came from China

Yeah and in his speech which I watched, he does call it the corona virus. So it was probably just that one tweet.

I CELEBRATE myself,
Mar 17, 2020 9:46 PM

Dec 2008
If anybody deserves to catch covid 19 and die from it it's gotta be trump.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 17, 2020 10:01 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Maneki-Mew said:

He probably did it intentionally to be honest, not very surprising since Beijing is blaming the US so it might have been some sort of retaliation.

Speaking of which nobody even mentions that... I guess Trump calling the Wuhan corona virus a "Chinese virus" in some tweet is more outrageous and inaccurate than Beijing calling it a US bioweapon. Another day in the Clown world I guess.
Mar 17, 2020 10:06 PM

May 2013
zrdb said:
If anybody deserves to catch covid 19 and die from it it's gotta be trump.

I was kinda hoping for Justin Bieber but whatever floats your boat
I CELEBRATE myself,
Mar 18, 2020 12:09 AM

May 2018
obviously not a trump supporter by any means, but this is something that he is dead on right about. If the Chinese weren't messing around with bats and shit, most of us would be in our daily routines.

we all know Chinese propaganda manufactures lies about the USA.
Mar 18, 2020 1:55 AM

Sep 2018
Cneq said:
traed said:

1. The US doesn't have a monopoly on HUNDREDS of areas of commerce like China does [Medicine, plastics, manufacturing, just about anything you can think of has some part of it made in China and since countries decided for China to be the scapegoat of pollution since they didn't want to make that trash in their own countries they decided to let china do it, not to mention the literal slave labour going on there which in turn = cheaper prices for manufacturing.

2. The US isn't constantly buying up land in foreign countries and in turn rising the cost of living for the natives. The Chinese own at least 50% of Australia and this has crippled home grown companies and have caused others to completely shut their doors, for example holden cars.

3. The US doesn't treat their people like garbage nor do they run a police state where speaking out against a government official will land you behind bars.

You can't even compare China to the US, it's completely fucking impossible. While I do hate China for what they've done it doesn't mean I don't respect the power they control nor the trials they had to go through to get there, even if that form of power is of the oppressive and morally grey variety, power and cunning is still power and cunning.

The Chinese were victims of the exact type of self-reliance back with the opium wars and they learned the value of international trade and relations and now it's come right around to bite the west in the ass.

Wow, China is spreading out in SE Asia. If that's bad, what is the US?
Remember, these aren't the bases, just the countries that have them, they couldn't fit all the bases on the pic.

Mar 18, 2020 2:01 AM

Jan 2017
QPR said:
Cneq said:

Wow, China is spreading out in SE Asia.

Why would you post military statistics when I'm talking about an economical invasion? A country could have barely any military presence and still be able to "attack" nations through commerce and mass investment. That is precisely why it's called an economical invasion and it is the exact thing China has been doing for decades.

If you want to make an argument that the US is doing something similar to that then give examples of countries where the US is constantly buying up land, taking control of homegrown business and making the cost of living skyrocket.

You posting United States statistics has no relation to this argument and you're kind of wasting my time.
Mar 18, 2020 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
Korishi said:
i just want to see a vaccine with a label that says "made in China"

God, this is good shit!
Mar 18, 2020 8:02 AM

Sep 2018
Cneq said:
Why would you post military statistics when I'm talking about an economical invasion? A country could have barely any military presence and still be able to "attack" nations through commerce and mass investment. That is precisely why it's called an economical invasion and it is the exact thing China has been doing for decades.

If you want to make an argument that the US is doing something similar to that then give examples of countries where the US is constantly buying up land, taking control of homegrown business and making the cost of living skyrocket.

You posting United States statistics has no relation to this argument and you're kind of wasting my time.

They don't buy up land, the kill people and steal it which is far worse than the Chinese do.

I know you are American because the point went right over your head.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.