Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 2 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 15, 2020 3:16 PM

Feb 2019
Damn Bofuri and Plunderer dropped today?? I have to get used to this schedule. So hard watching 22 shows a season lol.

I'm surprised with how popular the threads have been for this. To my knowledge it isn't that big in the west...

"Isn't that broken?" Wonder how often that's muttered in all pvp games. lol I'll just stand here and eat you

The translator really nailed the chats. They sound like something people would actually say in-game.

My favourite comment was from the last episode where when the shielder guy that Maple talked to said that she approached him first to ask about his shield. To this another guy replies with- She has definitely maxed her social skills.

I wish we could get full dive technology IRL, man. Would be great to escape.
Marinate1016Jan 15, 2020 3:19 PM
Jan 15, 2020 3:33 PM
Dec 2019
I really like the drawings and the animation, better than the first episode. The battles were nice.
Maple is extremely cute, i love her!

[100/100]
Jan 15, 2020 4:12 PM
Jun 2017
Love that mapple and sally's connection.a quick based player and a Defense based player. Nice one...

And that shield is OP. Hahaha
Jan 15, 2020 4:33 PM

May 2014
seeing some replies here made me shake my head

did you guys even see last episode that Sally has some trophies and achievements irl for participating at online games? In short, it's acceptable that she defeated that boss even with a low level in serious mode.

She's like a player expert in games like these, starting out in this new game. Of course she'll instantly grasp how the game works, etc.
Jan 15, 2020 5:30 PM

Nov 2017
Same here,though I have to wonder why some are saying those things,since
A- It's not a game,its an anime.
B- Don't underestimate the power of our Kami-sama Maple ;)

Seriously though,her shield puts Naofumi's to shame :)
Jan 15, 2020 5:34 PM
Sep 2011
none of this makes sense but they're so cute and the gags are actually good!! I can't be mad about it!! is this how SAO stans feel? lmao

I hope they hit a wall soon, I love them but I think it will get boring to see her just bulldoze everyone forever.
Jan 15, 2020 5:41 PM
Aug 2019
Does anybody know the name of the song that played around the 17 mark i believe?
Jan 15, 2020 5:45 PM
May 2017
Sally is a smurf; Maple, maybe... or a much talented newbie, with plenty of instinct.

Adorable and cute.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 15, 2020 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
These cute girls are too much (^་།^)

Really liking this. Cute girls with a good dynamic and comedy that really lands well. For once I'm actually digging the game stuff too. Makes me want to play an MMO for the first time in over a year.

I like how the characters have been conceived. Maple is the noob who has managed to break the game by playing it in a way no one else would think to. Sally is the experienced player that knows how to min-max everything.

And I love how she didn't want to play a wizard becuase it would be too conventional! True gamer.

"I took a pounding but I liked it" My kind of girl (─‿‿─)

Just need to see a bit of fan service of these two small breast goddesses and preferably no cowtit girls and I'll happy with this whatever happens.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 15, 2020 7:00 PM

Jun 2014
It does feel a little fast and Maple is seriously OP.

That 3D fight underwater was so underwhelming.

Decent episode, hoping for it to slow down a little bit to be honest, it's not laid back enough!
Jan 15, 2020 7:14 PM
Jan 2017
The difficulty about having an OP character as a protagonist is that it removes any potential conflict or emotional stakes from the story. We know the character will win, what makes the story exciting is how they will win. Unfortunately, it's for this very reason that the event battle wasn't exciting. It was hilarious, but it wasn't exciting. Even if Maple didn't win first place, her OP shield allowed her to outlast the competition. Sure, this is show meant to be light-hearted but that doesn't mean it can't be serious every once in a while.

Maple's friend, Risa, finally joins the game and, for a change, she has to fight a boss without Maple. The battle itself was okay, but so far, there wasn't any reason for me to get emotionally invested in the story. The big problem with this episode is that there weren't any stakes in it. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad episode because, like I said before, this show isn't meant to be taken seriously but it still has to be creative about its premise and themes if it wants to have an audience.
Jan 15, 2020 7:19 PM

Oct 2019
Maple win the event by camping and drawing nazca lines haha

The look on the spectators when she use paralyzed attack with poison gas, maple has no chill lmao
CorrectableJan 15, 2020 7:23 PM
Jan 15, 2020 7:26 PM

Jun 2013
That was fun kinda fast paced
Jan 15, 2020 11:21 PM

Oct 2008
Another fun and engaging episode!
but i hope something dark happens! but that's probably not gonna happen considering all the visuals we've seen on the OP.
Damn Maple's to defensively OP! she ranked 3th on the event and defeated a total of 2028 players! WOW!
her IRL friend is also a good gamer and her speciality is evade! I really thought she's gonna me a mage class but oh well.
5/5.

Piromysl said:
Author clearly never played any MMO.

maybe the author played many MMO and not one caught his tastes and decided to make his own MMO world so that there would be more self-gratification pandering of his own!
matias067Jan 15, 2020 11:27 PM

Jan 15, 2020 11:27 PM

Mar 2019
First half was pretty good and funny...

Second half was kind of slow/boring...

Still Good Episode.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 15, 2020 11:52 PM
Oct 2017
The devs are drunk and the players don't even complain about it. I want someone to say "shitty fucking devs" like the overlord LN, a novel that with the 5 chapters of backstory explains an MMO system with reasonable balance and a hardcore fanbase that is never shown for more than 5 seconds in the anime. Also "grind for 3 hours to get max level at this stage" boi i grinded for 15 hours to get a single amour piece in FFXIV online IN THE LATE GAME WITH STRATS. The author/writer probably has never played mmo's religiously nor understands balance. King's avatar is the PvP MMO experience done by someone who knows how to write one. PvE looks like shitty monster hunter but still better than almost anything else. chemistry is good
Jan 16, 2020 12:12 AM
Nov 2015
She legit eat the bug raw and have skill to make her shield able eat by absorbing people.
Jan 16, 2020 12:13 AM
Nov 2015
LocalDegenerate said:
The devs are drunk and the players don't even complain about it. I want someone to say "shitty fucking devs" like the overlord LN, a novel that with the 5 chapters of backstory explains an MMO system with reasonable balance and a hardcore fanbase that is never shown for more than 5 seconds in the anime. Also "grind for 3 hours to get max level at this stage" boi i grinded for 15 hours to get a single amour piece in FFXIV online IN THE LATE GAME WITH STRATS. The author/writer probably has never played mmo's religiously nor understands balance. King's avatar is the PvP MMO experience done by someone who knows how to write one. PvE looks like shitty monster hunter but still better than almost anything else. chemistry is good

Jan 16, 2020 12:19 AM

Nov 2013
I don't trust Sally -_- she seems like one of those people who are super envy, jealous and keep grudges. Maybe I'm giving too much thoughts to it. We'll see...
Jan 16, 2020 12:25 AM
Jun 2013
Moe Shield Hero is way better than regular Shield Hero.
Jan 16, 2020 2:50 AM

Jul 2017
OH NO, Maple is getting more broken as her stats increase in the already-broken MMORPG world. WHAT A JOKE, it's so hilarious!

And with it, the game's new event, the usual battle royale. IRL Kaede's interested, but her in-game character is even more ridiculous. But I love it when enemies try to attack her without hindsight, you'd think a shield is used for shielding, BUT NOPE, it's her legit weapon and she's NOT AT ALL scared, just surprised. Moe Shield Hero FTW!

With that, her classmate Risa, IGN Sally, took a gamble and dived into the same game, and of course, her stats are the norm, unlike Maple, which her defense is her only start. And adventures galore in never-ending exploration to find bosses. But the decision to make that fight scene in CGI is just weird, it's a deep water scene but even in 2D it gets the job done quick.

Good episode that flew by just as quick.
Jan 16, 2020 2:59 AM

Oct 2007
Loving the music with vocals that played while Sally was levelling-up in the water cave. Reminded me of the time when Ragnarok Online was still new, and they released made a promo video with music! so much nostalgia from this anime..
Jan 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Oct 2007
Correctable said:
Maple win the event by camping and drawing nazca lines haha

The look on the spectators when she use paralyzed attack with poison gas, maple has no chill lmao

the other players thought they have an easy kill with a lone girl just sitting there. They realized too late they walked into one of the hardest bosses in the game. :p

well, I'm glad there are at least two people stronger or just as strong as Maple in this game. Those guys ranked 1 and 2. So she isn't very broken (yet).
Jan 16, 2020 5:55 AM

May 2018
hahahaha Maple one-shotting everyone that tries to attack her. I kept laughing as she cheerfully tapped her shield at all those poor dudes lol

Also those three guys that tried to rush her used Jet Stream Attack!

And now Maple's friend joins the game finally. Love her fight with the fish monter.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 16, 2020 6:03 AM

Jul 2017
what I expect from this anime is a girl with infinite DEF who really cannot deal damage at all. 'cause that would be funny enough.
but it turns out to be a girl with Infinite BOTH DEF AND ATK.

DAMN MAPLE-SAN IS TO DAMN OP. winning the third position of a battle royal camping at a spawn point.

also nice Black Tri-Star reference out there
Jan 16, 2020 7:18 AM

Apr 2014
This show is really funny.
Jan 16, 2020 7:32 AM

Dec 2018
Its an anime that makes me laugh that alone already makes it so it is worth the time I spend.
Jan 16, 2020 8:00 AM
May 2016
Such a fun show, Sally is a great addition too.
Jan 16, 2020 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
In case anyone is wondering how she's one-shotting people, Maple put 'Devour' on her shield's skill slot.
Her shield is pretty much eating stuff on contact and converting them into MP and the magic crystals you see appear on the shield.

Devour has an insane unlock requirement of eating lethal substances, so only Maple (with her insane VIT stat) can unlock it easily. Eating Explosive Ladybugs would've been instant death to other players.

For people complaining about the author not knowing about MMOs — you just have zero imagination. If people like you were to become game developers, the game is guaranteed to be boring copycats of existing games.

I think their game, New World Online, is a rogue-like game turned into an MMO. I've played games where killing monsters and eating their corpses will give you skills (if you don't die of food poisoning). Sometimes temporary buffs like invisibility or haste. Point is, if you think the game is OP, you clearly haven't played enough games.
Jan 16, 2020 9:46 AM

Oct 2018
last episode had me disappointed but this episode was good.. though I don't understand why maple is so powerful and how does her power work or even the game? i am enjoying this..
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 16, 2020 9:46 AM

Oct 2018
last episode had me disappointed but this episode was good.. though I don't understand why maple is so powerful and how does her power work or even the game? i am enjoying this..
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 16, 2020 11:19 AM

Feb 2010
What a fun distraction. Definitely recommend reading the manga so you can see all the things they left out, too ^__^
Jan 16, 2020 11:27 AM
May 2019
Awesome episode Maple continues to be kawaii power house.
The way she annihilates her foes is so cute :3
Maple and Sally make quite a team LoL.
They would make a cute couple too OwO.
Jan 16, 2020 2:50 PM

Jan 2016
Such a fun show and probably the surprise of the season. The way she got so broken is actually kinda realistic with thought put into it. And Maple is such an adorable character
Jan 16, 2020 3:19 PM

Oct 2007
Maple's poison dragon attack reminded me very much of Magellan's devil fruit power in One Piece.
Jan 16, 2020 4:20 PM
Mar 2017
At last Risa can play NWO together with Kaede, now the adventures of Maple and Sally will be very fun to watch.

Maple has become extremely strong, she is equipped with useful skills according to her character, and her defenses continue to rise.
The way Maple gets skills still makes me laugh too much, those explosive ladybugs looked like a delicacy for Maple.
The first NWO event is a battle royal and as expected the most experienced players saw the adorable and innocent Maple an easy target, but they all suffered defeat and were absorbed by Maple's shield, besides she has the Hydra ability that I found it incredible as to how it manifested itself and the attack it triggers.
The rest of the battle royal was more a massacre for Maple, nothing happened her impenetrable defense, I laughed so much when they hit her head and the weapon bounced as if it was made of plastic and Maple's face ... so cute . Anyway, Maple takes the third place and as always happens the winner is interviewed and Maple was wrong to speak and ends up looking like a red apple for the embarrassment.

And then comes my favorite part, which is when Risa or Sally joins the adventure, I love the dynamics of her and Maple / Kaede, she is the one with the ideas and strategies, I also love her personality.
Maple wants to have a new shield and must get the materials and Sally helps her and so she can gain experience and level up, also here we discover the true combo of Sally and Maple, Sally's speed and that was so fun how she was carrying Maple on her back.
Like Maple, Sally also finds a Boss hidden in an underwater cave and she also ends up having a very epic fight, the CG thing i left it aside, it was not as terrible as I thought, i was more focused on how Sally was fast, agile and incredible and in the end she was victorious and obtained a unique equipment like her friend, only this one looks more aerodynamic and fresh

The great thing about this virtual reality, is that Maple can use her creativity to the fullest, those drawings she made while she was waiting for her opponents were amazing, especially that of the Nazca lines. Another detail that I loved was the montage of the days when Maple and Sally went to the cave, it was very well done and I loved the background song.

I hope things continue like this, the dynamics of Maple and Sally are too adorable and I hope that Maple does not suffer a nerf after the battle royal results. Let's admit she slaughtered the competition.
Jan 16, 2020 5:14 PM

Jul 2017
I really love how Sally never gets envious or bitter about Maple's success. THIS is the escapist fantasy I'm looking for- OP friends who support one another.
Jan 16, 2020 5:20 PM
Feb 2009
welp her friend seems even more broken than Maple herself lol
Jan 16, 2020 9:33 PM

Jan 2018
I just want that insert song that play at 17:40
Jan 17, 2020 4:25 AM

May 2019
This is a fun anime. I love how nonchalant Maple was when she stunned her enemies fleeing for their lives and left them to slowly choke to death in a cloud of poison gas... lmaoo

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 17, 2020 4:38 AM

Jun 2013
Another adorable episode. Now that Risa is with her, I'm sure they'll dominate this game. I want to see the blonde guy's face. I'm sure it's really a girl with a guy avatar though.
臭い-
Jan 17, 2020 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
First ep was a little boring to me. Monotonous. And now i see why. You just can't make a real adventure with only one hero. With Ri... i mean with Sally it's become way more fun.
Jan 17, 2020 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
This show is a boring shit, the protagonist receives everything easy, the enemies are garbage, she is too strong and there is no tension, or drama, or anything in this garbage
Jan 17, 2020 5:33 PM
Mar 2016
If the cap for max stats is at 999, she is already almost there. She's probably also OP just because she's also lucky enough to find legendary equipment in the first place. And doing dumb things most players won't or can't do.
Jan 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Mar 2017
You people really need to relax and don't take this anime too seriously, as the anime itself doesn't. Just watch it and have a good laugh or smile, it's definitely something you can watch while eating or just want to relieve your stress.

That aside, the voice actor of that mascot is definitely the one who voices Saber Nero xD
BlueIsLoveJan 18, 2020 12:07 AM
Jan 17, 2020 9:36 PM

Mar 2017
KhayalCorp88 said:
She defeated a dragon by just biting it, so how with ordinary gamer ?

Well, 1 thousand.....hmm....not...maybe 1 million won't enough to stop her. After all, she just get an ability to eat any attack. This broken character can't be more stronger, right? Or maybe, she can?

I thought this show only went into CGDCT ( Cute Girls Do Cute Things) but it's not. This show literally become "Cute Girls Destroy the Entire World" with their OP abilities. Sally will join Maple in attempt to destroy the game. And Maple didn't noticed what she already done. LOL

And then they said, this is just the first floor. The second floor about to be opened. My fear just become true. Somehow Maple reminds me of Nadeko from Monogatari Series. Very dangerous person but also an airhead.

Beside from those, if this show use more CG, it would be a bad thing. Looking at furry announcer movements on battle royale event, any CG is not good for this show. But so far, it's OK. That one is already enough.

Surprisingly, the CG when Sally was fighting the boss wasn't that bad though, well of course it's not on Land of the Lustrous level but I've seen worse.

patormov said:
This show is a boring shit, the protagonist receives everything easy, the enemies are garbage, she is too strong and there is no tension, or drama, or anything in this garbage

Like I said before, stop taking this anime too seriously, judging by your profile I bet you just watch this because it's got the "Shield" part. This is just cute girls doing cute things type of stuff, definitely won't go deep in the story like Raise of Shield Hero. If you don't enjoy it then it's clearly not for you, move on and watch other anime. it's really that simple.
BlueIsLoveJan 17, 2020 9:40 PM
Jan 17, 2020 11:01 PM
Nov 2015
BlueIsLove said:
KhayalCorp88 said:
She defeated a dragon by just biting it, so how with ordinary gamer ?

Well, 1 thousand.....hmm....not...maybe 1 million won't enough to stop her. After all, she just get an ability to eat any attack. This broken character can't be more stronger, right? Or maybe, she can?

I thought this show only went into CGDCT ( Cute Girls Do Cute Things) but it's not. This show literally become "Cute Girls Destroy the Entire World" with their OP abilities. Sally will join Maple in attempt to destroy the game. And Maple didn't noticed what she already done. LOL

And then they said, this is just the first floor. The second floor about to be opened. My fear just become true. Somehow Maple reminds me of Nadeko from Monogatari Series. Very dangerous person but also an airhead.

Beside from those, if this show use more CG, it would be a bad thing. Looking at furry announcer movements on battle royale event, any CG is not good for this show. But so far, it's OK. That one is already enough.

Surprisingly, the CG when Sally was fighting the boss wasn't that bad though, well of course it's not on Land of the Lustrous level but I've seen worse.

patormov said:

Like I said before, stop taking this anime too seriously, judging by your profile I bet you just watch this because it's got the "Shield" part. This is just cute girls doing cute things type of stuff, definitely won't go deep in the story like Raise of Shield Hero. If you don't enjoy it then it's clearly not for you, move on and watch other anime. it's really that simple.

Just ignore this guy one of those spam new account for bait post + hate comment.

This is MAL nothing new.
Jan 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Oct 2018
patormov said:

You must be a fun person IRL.
Jan 18, 2020 12:42 AM
Jan 2020
This anime is so underrated. It should 7.8 at least.
Jan 18, 2020 12:43 AM

Jun 2012
knigurai said:
First ep was a little boring to me. Monotonous. And now i see why. You just can't make a real adventure with only one hero. With Ri... i mean with Sally it's become way more fun.
And judging from the OP theme, looks like they'll be joining a guild as well. Something to look forward too.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Jan 6, 2020

282 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 16, 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.