Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2019 9:01 PM

Apr 2019
Most of us has seen an anime that has been hyped up and praised by the anime community, but when you watch you think to yourself, this is not worth the hype or it is overrated. Name an anime you have watched that you think is overrated and why.

Mines is either Plastic Memories (Boring as hell, generic characters, etc) or Darling in the Franxx (only one good character, no sense of direction, etc).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 30, 2019 9:19 PM
Sep 2016
Plastic Memories was a disappointment for me as well.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought Assassination Classroom was over-rated. Personally found few of the characters really were that interesting and plot progression felt very slow.
Nov 30, 2019 9:20 PM
Aug 2018
When I Started watching Anime I heard of Tokyo Ghoul, Darling in the Franxx and SAO
They are too popular, But these three are too Disappointing
Nov 30, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2018
Out of the top 25 ranked things on MAL, definitely Made in Abyss. I found it to be enjoyable, but since the majority of the first season was spent on world building it didn't give much room to flesh out the main characters outside of Nanachi.
What a beautiful Duwang
Nov 30, 2019 9:31 PM

Nov 2007
SAO should not be rated at more than 6 overall in MAL's standards. But Mofu Kirito's **** suckers gave it a 10 so it's 7.5 in MAL.

It's more overrated than FranXX which at least, in my eyes, had beautiful moments. You guys should really watch the uncensored BD/DVD version!

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 30, 2019 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Take a wild guess.

Hint: It's one I always post in these kinds of thread. About aliens.
Nov 30, 2019 9:38 PM

Nov 2019
Violet Evergarden

The main character is incredibly naive (stupid is more applicable), didn't know what "I love you" meant. Oh but she learns to type love letters after an episode after being horrendous at it lmao.

Why exactly do people hold this anime in such high esteem!?

I dropped it halfway. I couldn't take the absurdity of it all. I gave it a peak after all the hype but I just didn't get it
Nov 30, 2019 9:38 PM

Oct 2017
The only anime in the top 100 that I watched and gave a score < 6 it's AnoHana if that counts.

Basically because I don't like drama and at least other stuff like Clannad was funny at some points, something that didn't happened to me with Anohana.

Nov 30, 2019 9:40 PM

Jan 2018
shanimebib said:
SAO should not be rated at more than 6 overall in MAL's standards. But Mofu Kirito's **** suckers gave it a 10 so it's 7.5 in MAL.

It's more overrated than FranXX which at least, in my eyes, had beautiful moments. You guys should really watch the uncensored BD/DVD version!

PFFT Jesus Christ that's powerful lmao
What a beautiful Duwang
Nov 30, 2019 9:43 PM

Jan 2018
crucial99 said:
Violet Evergarden

The main character is incredibly naive (stupid is more applicable), didn't know what "I love you" meant. Oh but she learns to type love letters after an episode after being horrendous at it lmao.

I dropped it halfway. I couldn't take the absurdity of it all. I gave it a peak after all the hype but I just didn't get it

Do you really expect someone who was raised as a child soldier to understand what love means to them? Also, not everything she wrote for people were love letters, knowing how to use a skill set to do your job isn't the same as understanding a vague feeling like love.
What a beautiful Duwang
Nov 30, 2019 9:46 PM

Nov 2007
crucial99 said:
Violet Evergarden

>Dropped it halfway
>When the anime has the best episodes between episodes 7-12, with episode 10 being the best episode of the season it aired, and probably one of the best standalone episodes of an anime in years.

But each of their own. It's alright you didn't like it.
Coronavirus.
Nov 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Jul 2016
Re:Zero. It's so painfully mediocre and terribly written since it's way too trigger happy for no obvious plot-related reasons which killed a lot of it's momentum. MC was contemptible. Don't care if he was "realistic" if you purposely write him to have 30 less IQ in certain situations.

Nov 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Dec 2016
It's Code Geass R2 to me. I really don't understand how can it have an 8.9 score when it's just a complete disaster
Nov 30, 2019 9:55 PM

Jul 2013
One Piece One Hundred percent. That show has moments and is absolutely not worth the garbage in between those moments
Nov 30, 2019 9:57 PM

Nov 2007
As for from the Top 100 in MAL*, definitely Boke dake ga Inai Machi. It was just sooooo bad! It should be below 7. Not almost 8.5!

*of the ones I have seen.
Coronavirus.
Nov 30, 2019 10:01 PM
Jan 2019
Fairy Tail. There's so much wrong with this series that it's seriously not funny. It's sad to think that it used to be around an 8.3 on this site, fucking yikes!
Nov 30, 2019 10:04 PM

Nov 2019
Jus1294 said:
crucial99 said:
Violet Evergarden

Do you really expect someone who was raised as a child soldier to understand what love means to them? Also, not everything she wrote for people were love letters, knowing how to use a skill set to do your job isn't the same as understanding a vague feeling like love.

That's just it, shes socially inept due to her life as a soldier? But her social shortcomings are more in line with someone whos on the spectrum, but to my knowledge, she wasnt mentally handicapped.

She's incredibly bright in some areas and incredibly ignorant in others... so
that sounds like tell tale case of Aspergers or some sort of mental disability.

This killed the character for me. Not that I don't feel for mentally disabled peoples, it's just that she wasn't presented as a disabled person, meaning shes just really dumb
Nov 30, 2019 10:05 PM
Apr 2016
Zeckrin said:
Fairy Tail. There's so much wrong with this series that it's seriously not funny. It's sad to think that it used to be around an 8.3 on this site, fucking yikes!
While that is a pretty high score, it's regarded as a terrible show by almost everyone. Sometimes reviews reveal the true score.
Nov 30, 2019 10:17 PM
Oct 2013
Ferien said:
It's Code Geass R2 to me. I really don't understand how can it have an 8.9 score when it's just a complete disaster

Agreed. The first season was pretty good, but almost all of season two is hot garbage. Blows my mind that season two has a higher rating, and an 8.9 at that. I guess the emotional climax just made people forget about how dreadful the characters' writing and plot were for the entirety of the season up until then.
Nov 30, 2019 11:01 PM

Jun 2019
I would usually mention SnK or Eva in these threads for me, but also, more recently, there's another that, while I like a substantial part of it like the premise and creature designs, do find that it's seemingly received disproportionately enthusiastic fanfare and that is Made in Abyss.

Yes, the animation especially in backgrounds is phenomenal, the creature designs are very evocative of a subterranean shadow realm, and there is enough mystery and story that you could make several long and dense seasons out of it if such a will existed, but I found season one as fundamentally flawed in that it left most of the layers feeling too vacant and like an obstacle-of-the-week, limiting and cheapening the sense of scope of the whole world they belonged to. Why couldn't the planned duration be much more expansive to match the scale of the elaborate world they're trying to construct? Instead it feels very rushed through and by the numbers in many places.

Also, I'm not very pleased with the show's shoehorning in of sexual fetish material.

Does anyone else feel this way? My impression is this is noticed by some, but it's a minority voice which is drowned out. Which I guess would satisfy the definition of its overrated status.

I'm still going to watch the movie and season two, if they get around to making one, but these factors for me all but ensure it won't have a place up there with the greats.

Nov 30, 2019 11:06 PM

Sep 2019
Zeckrin said:
You still lives in the memories of the past. I see, that time must be so horrible for you. Take care and try to come in the present. You may feel good.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 30, 2019 11:17 PM

Oct 2017
Overrated is an mean word :(

but i gotta say people were hyping up demon slayer and i don't know. i'm halfway through and it's just not doing it for me
Dec 1, 2019 12:21 AM

Sep 2019
shanimebib said:

You didn't mention Asuna's pus*y + others pus*y etc. Atleast give full satisfaction in the post. I give you 5.5/10 for the post. Very bad, you are supposed to be a high level user. What's this. A mediocre level post.
PeetiDec 1, 2019 6:24 PM
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Dec 1, 2019 11:53 AM
Jun 2015
Neon Genesis as it has all of those "deep meanings" just shoehorned in as opposed to having them develope naturally.
Dec 1, 2019 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
For me the most overrated anime is Neon Genesis Evangelion. So many were harping on about how it's the greatest anime of all time...but after watching the entire franchise, I thought it was just slightly above average. *shrugs* I adore Kaworu and that's all that matters. :^)
Dec 1, 2019 12:03 PM

Jan 2019
FMAB, I’ll never understand how it has such a high score. The MC is annoying with his horribly placed comedy and the story drags on in the beginning and middle. But, at least it’s still better than the garbage that is Naruto which is also highly overrated.
Dec 1, 2019 12:14 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
''Kimetsu no Yaiba'' and ''Sora yori mo Tooi Basho''
Dec 1, 2019 12:15 PM

Oct 2018
I thought that Erased was hilariously bad, and then I found out that people actually like it. So, definitely that one. Attack On Titan, MHA & Your Lie In April are ones I would also consider overrated in terms of them being too popular for its quality.
Dec 1, 2019 12:20 PM

Mar 2016
To me its Death Note, Code Geass, FMAB

Dec 1, 2019 12:21 PM

Sep 2018
WatchTillTandava said:

Also, I'm not very pleased with the show's shoehorning in of sexual fetish material.
What do you mean by this? Care to expand a little bit?
Dec 1, 2019 12:30 PM

Jul 2017
I'll give Fairy Tail a break this time lol

Darling in the Franxx was some hot garbage, that score is just beyond deceiving.

Dec 1, 2019 12:37 PM

Mar 2019
Fairy tale,Sao,Darling in the Franxx,
This 3 anime is so popular but popular not mean good,
Fairy tale have good character I like erza but story is so boring and lot of funservis moment, i don't hate FAIRY tale but I don't like and I dont understand why
this anime so popular.
Sao also so overrated anime,first season first fifth five episodes is good but then is so boring,also anime have lot of funservis moments and overrated characters, I don't understand why kirito so popular character and why everyone like this character,in short this anime is absolutely OVERRATED!
Darling in the Franxx it's just shit overrated anime.
Dec 1, 2019 12:57 PM

Jun 2019
GakutoDeathGlare said:
WatchTillTandava said:

What do you mean by this? Care to expand a little bit?

All the shotacon bait basically - constant references to Reg's penis, crossdressing, Riko's nudity, all the gender fuckery stuff.

I wouldn't mind if it seemed to actually serve some purpose in the story.
Dec 1, 2019 1:10 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Demon Slayer

nothing about the story had me on the edge of my seat, it was pretty much the same thing as many other shounen

not saying it wasn't good to me, cause i really liked it

doesn't mean it wasn't generic

EcchiGodMamsterDec 1, 2019 1:13 PM
Dec 1, 2019 1:11 PM

Jun 2019
Toradora is a complete mess of a show. I loved the characters, but there was nearly nothing else they executed well. Poor pacing, tons of boring filler, and an unsatisfying and confusing ending.
professional women respecter
Dec 1, 2019 1:14 PM
Nov 2017
for me it has to be JoJo. It is good but not THAT good
Dec 1, 2019 1:56 PM
Jul 2019
Hard to decide. As previously mentioned SAO, even with it's 7.5 rating. The series benefitted greatly from timing and relatively high production value.

I would say Rainbow. I dropped it, so my opinion is only valid for the first 10 or so episodes.

Also Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. I did not drop this, unfortunately.
Dec 1, 2019 2:04 PM
Oct 2016
For me it was kimi no na wa. I just don't get the hype about the movie. While the animation is good, I think it's not more than above avarage. Each part of the story is predictable and I can't get how they never noticed the time difference thing.
Dec 1, 2019 2:06 PM

Aug 2016
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Darling in the Franxx

Dec 1, 2019 2:07 PM

Jan 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba. All it had was good animation. There wasn’t any substance at all.
Dec 1, 2019 2:08 PM
Jan 2019
FMA is obviously the most overrated one
Dec 1, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2019
Dolabella said:
Overrated is an mean word :(

but i gotta say people were hyping up demon slayer and i don't know. i'm halfway through and it's just not doing it for me

People were hyping it up because of the amazing animation. Nothing else was good about it. Uninteresting story, one dimension characters and lazy writing.
Dec 1, 2019 2:12 PM

Jul 2017
angel beats
mirai nikki
no game no life
shield hero
kakegurui
re:zero
one punch man

they are shit imo
Dec 1, 2019 2:19 PM

Mar 2017
Takagi-san. It was unbearably painful to watch, and it became the first and so far the only show I've ever dropped. I seriously don't get why people like this show, yet it somehow has a 7.88 rating.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Dec 1, 2019 2:25 PM

Apr 2016
If I should say some anime I find overrated, I’d say Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia. I found them boring for the most and they’re very generic especially Demon Slayer. Also, DS has very annoying characters. Those are the main reasons, there are other things but I’m lazy and I don’t want to write them.
Dec 1, 2019 2:28 PM
May 2019
Every anime that I don't like is overrated.
Dec 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Sep 2014
Death Parade seriously it should be rated below 0.
Dec 1, 2019 2:57 PM

Jan 2018
Evangelion, I could see what it was going for but I just couldn't stay awake during the second half.
Don't listen to people who have anime characters as their profile pic.
Dec 1, 2019 3:00 PM

Dec 2018
Konosuba. It wasn't funny at all. Every character is defined by 1 or 2 stupidly overused ridiculous character traits that get annoying really fast.
Oregairu is life
Dec 1, 2019 3:03 PM

Dec 2017
Fire Force
No Game No Life
Monogatari Series
Angel Beats
Darling in the Franxx
Violet Evergarden

All of them made me pass out from sheer boredom
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

66 by JessicaKari »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 4 hours ago

14 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

18 by Dumb »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

71 by Scud »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

41 by TitanOfPlasma »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.