Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2019 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The cruel life continues for Thorfinn. On the battlefield, we're also getting more bodies dropping. However, I do admire his bravery and his fighting skills semes to be improving. Someone as young as him taking on gronw up soldiers is also a feat in itself.

Thorfinn is lucky that he survived in that battle. Really looking forward to how much more this season plans to develop his character.
Aug 11, 2019 8:39 AM
Jun 2015
Ya know Kimetsu may have better animation and godlike visuals, but Vinland has a much better story. I love em both in different ways.
Aug 11, 2019 8:56 AM

Feb 2018
shane_nichols said:
Ya know Kimetsu may have better animation and godlike visuals, but Vinland has a much better story. I love em both in different ways.

But Vinland saga also has glorious animation and backgrounds
Typical slav weeb who is hunting down normies on discord
Aug 11, 2019 8:58 AM
Jan 2018
still catching up with this and other shows , has it gone past the backstory/ flashback yet
Aug 11, 2019 9:05 AM
Jun 2015
Tischa said:
shane_nichols said:

Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.
Aug 11, 2019 9:08 AM

Apr 2014
So did they adapt chapter 1 and 2 of the manga yet with

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
LoveLikeBloodAug 14, 2019 1:02 AM
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Aug 11, 2019 9:42 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

It saddens me to see Thorfinn having to struggle through life at such a young age, an innocent kid forced to learn to fight a battle of men and bear the weight of taking life.

I think at the very end when he saw the tears of the kind woman who took care of his injuries despite knowing he was an enemy was when he realized what he's become. I wonder if the things he's doing now will catch up to his conscious the same way it caught up to the Thors.

On the other hand, I like that Thorfinn is effectively a rogue dual dagger wielder, boy got good taste. xD
Can't wait for more.
Aug 11, 2019 9:42 AM

Oct 2018
shane_nichols said:
Tischa said:

Both are great studios. To be fair sometimes Wit studio also gets into an animation trance and makes a scene epic af like they did with a few scenes in AOT.
Aug 11, 2019 9:56 AM

Nov 2017
shane_nichols said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.
Aug 11, 2019 10:02 AM
Sep 2015
I can accept that Thorfinn fall into dark side, but with the same group that kill his father?
And is this fantasy? A group of highly developed countries were once involced in such an unreasonably barbaric act?
Also a little bit funny story of mine, I watch this anime because a decade ago my friend recommend me a masterpiece manga. I mistakenly remember that manga as Vinland Saga, but recently my friend correct me it's actually 'Vagabond' (and there's no anime adaptation yet).
Aug 11, 2019 10:03 AM

Sep 2014
Thorfinn's reaction after accomplishing his first kill was realistically portraited. Askeladd now promises him duels so he can do works for him. Felt bad for everyone in this village and that old lady staring at Thorfinn with tears in her eyes after seeing that the kid has become a killing machine made me tear up too. Also, loved how Thorfinn truly wanted to save them since he even remembered his own family after living a bit with her and her daughter but the language barrier prevented him from succeeding at the end. The adaptation thus far hasn't disappointed me and those two anime-original episodes were amazing. Really captures the feeling and tone of that really merciless era.
Aug 11, 2019 10:03 AM

Feb 2018
The old lady was heartbroken when she saw what Thorfinn was. She knew the kid has been through some serious stuff if he's turned out like that already.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 11, 2019 10:06 AM

Mar 2019
I hope the English family came out ok. Sad to see that Thorfinn has completely gone along with the people that killed his father.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Aug 11, 2019 10:07 AM

Dec 2017
um, can someone explain why Thorfinn is working together with Askeladd and the mercenaries? i know he wants to get battle experience and not to lose sight of Askeladd, but doing work for the one who killed your father? don't get it

perhaps, he's trying to gain their trust and then backstab them? i doubt it's a stockholm syndrome thing
uninstallthegameAug 11, 2019 10:14 AM
Aug 11, 2019 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
Damn those Vikings are ruthless, killing people left and right.

I was thinking that Thorfinn might change his ways after meeting and being taken care of the old lady and her daughter. Guess I was wrong. His fighting skills have improved as he can effectively kill soldiers who are a lot bigger than him.
Thorfinn being a rogue with those daggers. XD.

Aug 11, 2019 10:12 AM
Apr 2019
He's working for Askeladd so that he can have opportunities to duel him. It wasnt explained clear enough last episode( or they slightly changed the deal) but in the manga for each mission he completes Askeladd rewards him with a duel that allows him a chance to avenge his father.
Aug 11, 2019 10:16 AM

Feb 2017
uninstallthegame said:
um, can someone explain why Thorfinn is working together with Askeladd and the mercenaries? i know he wants to get battle experience and not to lose sight of Askeladd, but doing work for the one who killed your father? don't get it

perhaps, he's trying to gain their trust and then backstab them? i doubt it's a stockholm syndrome thing

It was said in the last episode and in this episode again. If Thorfinn achieves something on the battlefield Askleadd will reward him with a duel.
Aug 11, 2019 10:22 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah, Askeladd kinda roped Thorfinn in working for him by taking advantage of his naive pride and desire for revenge. Askeladd is a great manipulator and Thorfinn is still just a kid.
Aug 11, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2017
Damn this show really is going for that historical accuracy, Vikings not having horns on their helmets (like myths say they do), archers doing most of the fighting, language differences. Also MC that isn't afraid to ho harm wow what a shocker

The CGI soldiers though, that looked so garbage lol. Actually not even the soldiers the cgi in general is pretty garbage

LalatinaDarkness said:
shane_nichols said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

tbf considering how many action shows lately have had subpar animation, I can see how great animation can be blinding lmao
Short_CircutAug 11, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 11, 2019 10:30 AM

Dec 2016
Damn, getting to experience this story all again in anime form has been fucking awesome lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 11, 2019 10:36 AM

Dec 2017
Tsarko said:

It was said in the last episode and in this episode again. If Thorfinn achieves something on the battlefield Askleadd will reward him with a duel.

ye, it was even mentioned again in this episode. but you could interpret this in different ways. he didn't explicitly say "work for me, achieve and be rewarded" tho it seems this is the direction the anime chose
Aug 11, 2019 10:40 AM

May 2014
This was really hard to watch.. it's amazing but I felt the raw emotion throughout the episode and it hurt.

Thank you Wit. Finally something serious and not another stupid anime that slips in fan service or bewb jokes. Tired of those.

Aug 11, 2019 10:41 AM

Feb 2017
uninstallthegame said:
Tsarko said:

ye, it was even mentioned again in this episode. but you could interpret this in different ways. he didn't explicitly say "work for me, achieve and be rewarded" tho it seems this is the direction the anime chose

Well since he was stuck with them, there is no other place for him to achieve what he wants
Aug 11, 2019 10:41 AM
Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:
Damn this show really is going for that historical accuracy, Vikings not having horns on their helmets (like myths say they do), archers doing most of the fighting, language differences. Also MC that isn't afraid to ho harm wow what a shocker

The CGI soldiers though, that looked so garbage lol. Actually not even the soldiers the cgi in general is pretty garbage

LalatinaDarkness said:

tbf considering how many action shows lately have had subpar animation, I can see how great animation can be blinding lmao
The cgi wasnt that bad jesus christ
Aug 11, 2019 10:46 AM

Nov 2018
uninstallthegame said:

Did you not watch the last episode? Thorfinn wants to fight Askelad in a duel, not just murder him. Only way he can get a duel is if he achieves something of import in the battlefield, soo he must help Askelad in some meaningfull way in a battle. How else is he supposed to prove that he achieved something? taping a video and showing it to Askeladd latter when/if they ever meet again?
Aug 11, 2019 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
I got to say this episode shows a lot of how a battlefield works. Seeing Thorfinn going through such development and progression as a fighter and warrior seems very devastating. Though he did try to warn the woman who took care of him despite he could be enemy shows that he at least have some empathy for now. But unfortunately he has to go back to being a cold soldier or viking to continue his one and only goal. Achieve something great and get his duel revenge.
Aug 11, 2019 10:49 AM
Aug 2018
LOOVE it. Amazing episode. They could not have done a better job with thorfinn's character improvement and there's still soo much room. Also the part with the old lady really reminds us of how unfair it is for thorfinn to end up like this the poor boy doesnt have anything anymore
Aug 11, 2019 10:50 AM

Jul 2017
Black_Sheep97 said:
Short_Circut said:

Yeah....no. Just look at the battle between the Danes vs. English in the daytime. That was like Overlord S3 level cgi lel
Aug 11, 2019 10:52 AM

Jul 2019
I really can't wrap my head around this one. Studio, Visuals and Setting all check out. But somehow this is leaving me cold... Especially the fight scenes. Sometimes the show is going for all out realism and then its suddenly 'Because he can!'. My suspension of disbelief has been lifted :/
Aug 11, 2019 10:52 AM
Jul 2019
I was waiting for time skips! This episode was absolutely fantastic, can't wait for more
Aug 11, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2014
A bold decision with the time jump at such an important juncture in Thorfinn's young life, but definitely one that worked perfectly in the show's favour. His development as a scout and the cruel run-in with the family were extremely compelling in wildly different ways. It just helps hammer home how sad it is that Thorfinn is locked into this brutal life just so he can get his revenge on Askelaad.
Aug 11, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
Well we returned to canon material.

The episode beautifully and realistically portrayed Thorfinn's reaction on his first battle and his first killing.The music perfectly fit the scenes,well WIT is good in this.Also the anime added scenes like how he got the second dagger.

The anime also showed the emotional intensity of that old woman like in the manga.

Overall,a splendid episode.

Now i want to see chapter 1 animated.

Aug 11, 2019 11:05 AM

May 2017
phenomenal as always. I will not stop praising the score until it stops impressing me. Huge shutout to the composer and also the sound director of this adaptation.

As much as I dislike CGI characters in Anime, the CGI mobs are to be expected. It is way too much work to animate every scene that includes multiple background characters by hand when your schedule is tight. Far away character mobs are just super difficult to handle if you want to keep a consistent high quality art. CGI is just a no brainer for these types of moments. I just hope that the important large scale fights are directed in a way where CGI will not be abundant
Aug 11, 2019 11:07 AM

Jul 2019
I am assuming Thorfinn is around 10 years of age? He's very capable on the battlefield, but that's such a horrific life to live from the age of 6. He's definitely carrying around deep psychological scars. Revenge is a helluva drug - he's addicted to killing Askelaad in exchange for any type of childhood or normalcy, to avenge his father. That's some serious hate!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2016
shane_nichols said:

IKR?! Yea, Kimetsu stole everyone's attention for one episode, but Vinland Saga's story has been solid and consistent so far in comparison.
Aug 11, 2019 11:10 AM
Feb 2009
another straight up fire episode not even gonna complain about the fight scenes wit studio doing a pretty good with the adaptation.
Aug 11, 2019 11:17 AM

Mar 2016
axel360 said:
The old lady was heartbroken when she saw what Thorfinn was. She knew the kid has been through some serious stuff if he's turned out like that already.

Dude, that was the saddest part of that episode. She covered up for him despite knowing he's part of the enemy, because she was hoping he's someone who could escape the fate of going down the bloody path. Unfortunately he already has ventured down that road, and she had to see that right before her, hence standing there in shock and without words.

That hurt for me on a personal level cause I saw that part in the manga. I personally felt like the adaptation did that scene pretty damn well, except for the whole language barrier thing :P
Aug 11, 2019 11:46 AM

Mar 2012
lostnspace said:
I am assuming Thorfinn is around 10 years of age? He's very capable on the battlefield, but that's such a horrific life to live from the age of 6. He's definitely carrying around deep psychological scars. Revenge is a helluva drug - he's addicted to killing Askelaad in exchange for any type of childhood or normalcy, to avenge his father. That's some serious hate!

Hes more like 16 after timeskip.
Aug 11, 2019 11:52 AM

May 2015
The "criticism" people have in this thread is hilarious as always. xD

Aug 11, 2019 11:52 AM

Dec 2017
Tougen said:

Did you not watch the last episode? Thorfinn wants to fight Askelad in a duel, not just murder him. Only way he can get a duel is if he achieves something of import in the battlefield, soo he must help Askelad in some meaningfull way in a battle. How else is he supposed to prove that he achieved something? taping a video and showing it to Askeladd latter when/if they ever meet again?

somehow a lot of people knew about Thors and his feats without him showing them any videos, you know. but i guess this would be an easier way of proving his worth, right in front of him
Aug 11, 2019 11:53 AM

Jun 2014
Now we finally get to see Thorfinn growing up and becoming more accustomed to killing......sad to see someone so young become this way though.

The end of the episode was just heartbreaking, that woman, even though she only knew Thorfinn for a short amount of time, probably really felt like he was her dead son coming back to her in a way. To see her become so emotional after seeing the true nature of the kid she protected.....man that hurt.

Also, that offhand comment earlier in the episode, "It hit my ass!" That gave me a nice laugh but RIP to that guy xD
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 11, 2019 11:56 AM

Jul 2019
JasieQ said:

Hes more like 16 after timeskip.

Oh wow - I wasn't expecting a 10 year jump. It makes sense - that's able to take on grown me. Thanks for the clarification.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2019 12:02 PM
Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Yeah....no. Just look at the battle between the Danes vs. English in the daytime. That was like Overlord S3 level cgi lel
yeah no , that's attack on Titan season 3 level shit not great not bad neither.
Aug 11, 2019 12:03 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
WIT still doing a good job adapting this manga. They're keeping the story and tone tight and not taking shounen shortcuts. A shame though that the animation in some of the battle scenes is starting to suffer just a tad.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 11, 2019 12:04 PM
Nov 2015
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.
experienced soldier? Thorfin has much better training and is shown to be more gifted. Just because you're older doesn't make you stronger. And what experience it was never was established that those soldiers are hardened by battle nor experience?
Aug 11, 2019 12:10 PM
Nov 2015
Mythologically said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
experienced soldier? Thorfin has much better training and is shown to be more gifted. Just because you're older doesn't make you stronger. And what experience it was never was established that those soldiers are hardened by battle nor experience?

What a great explanation! I see! The small child being able to kill adult soldiers totally makes sense now! Thank you so much for showing me the path to enlightenment.
sure man glad to help.
Aug 11, 2019 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Sad episode overall. When Thorfinn runs away to set fire to the cabin and the old lady yells, "John!" after him was the part that hit me most.
Aug 11, 2019 12:20 PM

Mar 2017
Askeladd GOAT!!!
Aug 11, 2019 12:30 PM

Mar 2018
Thorfinns story is just so cruel.. But I guess hes already broken..
I'm growing to like Askeladd as a character more and more
Also was it only me or are the characterdesign for the english soldiers almost the same all the time? Or at least in this episode

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 11, 2019 12:31 PM
Jul 2019
[quote=shane_nichols]
Tischa said:
shane_nichols said:

Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit tha
shane_nichols said:
Tischa said:

Kimetsu is a fantasy series which use more special effects in fighting scene so visually it looks colourful and awesome, while Vinland use more realistic approach with less special effect.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.