Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2019 1:34 PM

Jan 2018
We all know that some people still have terrible preconceived notions about anime, or the entire animated medium in general, even now in 2019 at the height of its acceptance and popularity. A lot of times, they think that all anime is a bunch of fighting and yelling, or over-sexualized characters, and some people who know even less just see animation as a medium for children.

What shows do you guys think are good starting points for possibly changing an outsider's perception on the medium as a whole? I've personally shown a few people Kimi no Na wa and Spirited Away; they're not all-time favorites of mine or anything, but they have such a widespread appeal, and the people who watched them with me are quite fond of anime now in general.

***Edit: This thread was in no way intended to spark controversy over whether or not anime should be shown to non-viewers as a means of forcing your hobby upon them, especially if they're highly resistant toward giving the medium a chance. This topic solely stemmed from the fact that I personally had a rather warped perception of anime prior to becoming a fan, and my mindset on it changed when a friend introduced me to it with something he knew I would enjoy.***
GreyleafApr 8, 2019 4:41 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 2019 1:37 PM

Jul 2007
I show em Dead Leaves and Baoh Raihousha and if they can't get passed those then tough tits.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Feb 2010
Personally I would first try to convince anime fans themselves that the terrible preconceived notions that they have about anime and its fans are responsible and need to be fixed before we try to improve our reputation for the mainstream.

"I like anime but I'm ashamed to talk about it to even my family because it's such am embarassing hobby!"

"Anime is trash an so am I."

"Lol we're using the derogatory 'weeb' as a synonym of anime fan or otaku now because that's how little we respect ourselves and our hobby. But really, fucking normies and their prejudices. I wonder where they get the idea that we're all degenerate 'weebs'..."

"Anime fans irl are cringe except for me ofc, I'm the only normal one. Because I hide it and nobody knows I like anime. Being open about it is cringe as fuck."

"Anime is a cool and mature medium but only if you watch the shows I like. If you like battle shounen/slice of life/edyg seinens/whatever I don't want to be associated with you and that's why I hide being an anime fan. It's the fault of everyone but me that anime has such a childish/perverted/whatever reputation."

I've seen too many variations of shit like that to still have any sense of pity of victimhood when it comes to anime fans. I'm gonna worry about what outsiders think (I never really encountered even half as much negative towards anime fans from non-anime fans btw) once the actual anime 'fans' stop their self-deprecating, self-victimizing attitudes and own their hobby like anyone else does. You can't expect to be respected when you don't respect yourself and your fellow anime fans first.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 8, 2019 1:56 PM

Apr 2019
I think that "outsiders" tend to watch popular and high-rated anime first. Dessert first, you know. So you basically recommend them every popular anime (varying genres) that you know.
They will likely pick some genre(s) they like more and here ya go, our community grows.
Apr 8, 2019 2:00 PM
Apr 2016
Thanks to sites like Netflix and Hulu becoming more popular in households, people are becoming more and more open to anime then ever before.
When I was in elementary school; it was normal to talk about Dragon Ball, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, somewhere down the road it stopped being considered normal and started being seen as weird.

But, now it seems to be getting more popular again.

I tend to give a wide selection of anime; because when people first start, they tend to watch shounen or action-y anime and don't want to start anything else, which is unfortunate to say the least.

For some series suggestions; I'd suggest:

Psycho-Pass

Assassination Classroom

Death Note

Toradora

Your Lie in April

Usagi Drop (Don't read the manga)

Wolf Children (Movie)

A Silent Voice (Movie)

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

My Hero Academia

To name a few different ones.

Apr 8, 2019 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
If you're into Asimov and want to watch something that makes great use of its time and doesn't have its head up its ass, then I recommend Eve No Jikan.

On a less biased note, Moribito would be my go-to. It's a normal fantasy show with basically no anime tropes. Has some interesting dynamics in it. No one would be put off by it definitely. I had kinda mixed feelings on this show but that doesn't matter in this thread.
Apr 8, 2019 2:19 PM

Oct 2016
Sadly a lot of people have a terrible preconceived notion about a lot of things they don't know or simply misunderstand.

What I would show them will differ greatly, it all depends on the preferences of said person. Don't think I have a go to anime for this. But a lot of shows will do just fine IF you cater to the interests of the viewer.

The only thing I would keep in mind is that it should not have a "confusing" story, nor should it be visually "confusing". It can be an amazing anime, but the viewer might feel a disconnect when they are watching something they experience as confusing or too abstract. I personally would avoid shows like Ergo Proxy, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Serial Experiments Lain, etc.
Apr 8, 2019 2:30 PM

Oct 2010
HungryForQuality said:
If you're into Asimov and want to watch something that makes great use of its time and doesn't have its head up its ass, then I recommend Eve No Jikan.

On a less biased note, Moribito would be my go-to. It's a normal fantasy show with basically no anime tropes. Has some interesting dynamics in it. No one would be put off by it definitely. I had kinda mixed feelings on this show but that doesn't matter in this thread.

And that's quite an issue I have. Whey should we hide anime tropes? We are trying to get people into anime and that includes introducing to its own cultural sensibilities and approaches, not trying to disguise them with conveniently washed out stuff.

I would certainly recommend certain shows that don't have or barely have common anime tropes (like Cowboy Bebop is just amazing and cool and of course I'd talk people into it), but rather due to their quality and not as a means to convert people into anime. Tropes are not something we should pretend they don't exist to attract newcomers, rather the contrary.
Apr 8, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2015
I usually reccomend Kurenai no Buta or Sen to Chihiro, people are used to Disney, and Ghibli seems to have a similar effect even it's a thousand times greater and better than the monopolistic mouse.
Apr 8, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2018
Pullman said:
Personally I would first try to convince anime fans themselves that the terrible preconceived notions that they have about anime and its fans are responsible and need to be fixed before we try to improve our reputation for the mainstream.

"I like anime but I'm ashamed to talk about it to even my family because it's such am embarassing hobby!"

"Anime is trash an so am I."

"Lol we're using the derogatory 'weeb' as a synonym of anime fan or otaku now because that's how little we respect ourselves and our hobby. But really, fucking normies and their prejudices. I wonder where they get the idea that we're all degenerate 'weebs'..."

"Anime fans irl are cringe except for me ofc, I'm the only normal one. Because I hide it and nobody knows I like anime. Being open about it is cringe as fuck."

"Anime is a cool and mature medium but only if you watch the shows I like. If you like battle shounen/slice of life/edyg seinens/whatever I don't want to be associated with you and that's why I hide being an anime fan. It's the fault of everyone but me that anime has such a childish/perverted/whatever reputation."

I've seen too many variations of shit like that to still have any sense of pity of victimhood when it comes to anime fans. I'm gonna worry about what outsiders think (I never really encountered even half as much negative towards anime fans from non-anime fans btw) once the actual anime 'fans' stop their self-deprecating, self-victimizing attitudes and own their hobby like anyone else does. You can't expect to be respected when you don't respect yourself and your fellow anime fans first.

I love this comment, dude. I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said. While I started this thread as a focus on outsiders' stances on the medium, you've brought up a fascinating topic; the anime community itself is largely at fault for the stigma it receives. The bottom line is that anime (or animation), as a whole, is an art form that presents a wide range of content that, if given the chance, could be appreciated by literally everyone, but when the fans themselves boast a self-deprecating mentality, that's possibly the biggest turnoff of all.

I've never been chastised in any way for my love of anime by non-viewers, but it's likely in how I present myself. I don't act like it's taboo or "uncool," therefore those around me don't perceive it as a negative thing. I found one thing in particular you said to be quite hilarious: "I like anime but I'm ashamed to talk about it to even my family because it's such am embarassing hobby!" I watch anime with my mom if it's something I think she'd like. We're watching Aria together right now, and she loves the series so much that she just ordered herself a President Aria plushie. She literally knew nothing about the medium prior to me introducing it to her, but now she views it as just another form of entertainment- the same way she views foreign film, or anything else.

The bottom line: anime is only as uncool as you make it out to be...
GreyleafApr 8, 2019 2:46 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 8, 2019 2:48 PM

Jan 2017
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the introductory anime. Let's run it down:

1. It's accessible. Unlike most anime, it's not set in Japan. This means it doesn't depend on its viewers being familiar with Japanese cultural events, customs or ideology. Perhaps more importantly, it means people don't have to remember unfamiliar Japanese names - 'Ed' and 'Al' are pretty easy to remember even for a casual watcher. And it's got a stellar dub - and while there's something of a stigma around dubs, it's a lot more daunting to jump into something with subtitles than something that's speaking your language.

2. But it still introduces anime well. Despite that, it shares features that are common to anime and won't necessarily put off an unfamiliar viewer. It's highly sequential, not episodic. The art style, while not weird enough to put off most people, is recognisably anime - and moreso during gags. Speaking of those gags, while the show Japanese humour, it doesn't rely on it the way a straight comedy would, so even if new watchers don't get it they can just enjoy the story.

3. There's something for everyone. Full Metal Alchemist is one of those stories that goes everywhere. Want fantasy? Yep, it's got that. Want romance? Yes again, in like three different great pairings. Want horror? Oh, holy moly yes. Want action? Got you covered fam. You can show this to pretty much anyone and they'll be able to find something they like about it. (And because it's important - the show's got great things to say about political issues as well. If people like reading into what they consume to find messages - well, there's no shortage of that either.)

4. It's really, really good. All that's vital for a first-time watch, but it's hardly unique to Full Metal Alchemist. What does set it apart is that it's just, like, an incredible show above and beyond that. Great story, great characters, great animation, great music, great voice acting... everything falls into place. It may just be the best show I've seen, even now - not my favourite, but on a purely technical level, taking my own personal tastes and biases out of the equation, the best.

Yeah. I'm rereading the manga at the moment as well, and it's being just as incredible as I remember too.
Apr 8, 2019 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
HungryForQuality said:

And that's quite an issue I have. Whey should we hide anime tropes? We are trying to get people into anime and that includes introducing to its own cultural sensibilities and approaches, not trying to disguise them with conveniently washed out stuff.

I would certainly recommend certain shows that don't have or barely have common anime tropes (like Cowboy Bebop is just amazing and cool and of course I'd talk people into it), but rather due to their quality and not as a means to convert people into anime. Tropes are not something we should pretend they don't exist to attract newcomers, rather the contrary.

We shouldn't. I actually think some anime tropes are what keeps the medium lively. It's why I like it! For all the strengths Moribito has it comes off as boring and plain in the second half after the initial hook loses its luster and gives way to a less compelling plot. The characters also are rather rigid. I'm just saying that newcomers might not think the same way as we do and might want something that's like Legend of Korra or Avatar: The Last Airbender. So that's where that example was coming from.

I mean an anime with anime tropes that I personally love was Girls' Last Tour. I thought it was fascinating. I still watch a couple episodes now and then to look into it more and I've found connections I didn't make before. But newcomers would look at the chibi faces and walk out so fast. Which sucks but it's true for many.
Apr 8, 2019 3:03 PM
Aug 2014
Show them like, Angel's Egg or something.
Apr 8, 2019 3:06 PM

Mar 2019
Why try to bring outsiders into the medium? If you try too hard to make normies like anime then anime will just be created for normies and they will make it just like every other show but animated.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2019 3:08 PM

Oct 2010
HungryForQuality said:
jal90 said:

We shouldn't. I actually think some anime tropes are what keeps the medium lively. It's why I like it! For all the strengths Moribito has it comes off as boring and plain in the second half after the initial hook loses its luster and gives way to a less compelling plot. The characters also are rather rigid. I'm just saying that newcomers might not think the same way as we do and might want something that's like Legend of Korra or Avatar: The Last Airbender. So that's where that example was coming from.

I mean an anime with anime tropes that I personally love was Girls' Last Tour. I thought it was fascinating. I still watch a couple episodes now and then to look into it more and I've found connections I didn't make before. But newcomers would look at the chibi faces and walk out so fast. Which sucks but it's true for many.

But I mean, they have to encounter them eventually, and I don't think it makes much sense to introduce them into anime with something that well, is the least possible anime xD. I think it's better to show something that does display anime tropes, but also elements that they can find recognizable. To create fans, not to alienate them with shows that don't push them out of their comfort zone. What @Maurice_5 said about FMA sounds fine, for example.
Apr 8, 2019 3:15 PM
Jan 2012
It's a lot easier than people think, mostly because almost everyone has experience with anime. My non-anime watching friend had seen a lot of classic Shounen like Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, and had a lot of experience with more modern ones like Naruto and One Piece. I actually got him to watch Steins;Gate, which he liked.

People have misinformed ideas about what anime is, so it's best to figure out what their misinformed opinion on it is, and find a series that proves it wrong. Anime is too childish? Steins;Gate, Cowboy Bebop. Anime is too childish and short? Monster. Anime is either too childish or too serious and unfun? Gurren Lagann. You don't need the best of the best to pique someone's interest, and to correct their image of it
Apr 8, 2019 3:16 PM

Dec 2017
Death note is prefect anime for the purpose of bringing outsiders into the medium.
But for being a full pledged otaku one must start with binge watching long shonen and then moving towards other anime.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 8, 2019 3:18 PM

Jul 2007
I think we should focus more on smuggling certain individuals out of this medium.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 8, 2019 3:25 PM
Jul 2018

I remember watching Spirited Away for the first time on cinema when it had won the Oscars. Was a cinema buff back then, visiting niche cinemas almost weekly
Then I read the creators had also made Nausicaa (Wind Warriors) , which I watched in the 90s on TV.

I think this was the event that that re-sparked my interest in anime. I discovered other animators, composers and directors of my favorite chilhood series this way.

Now it is so easy to find info and download a series instantly. Problem is trying to navigate amid the abundance of so many series.

Also anime should never be compared as superior or inferior to American cartoons and CGI family friendly movies. This does a lot of harm. On TV there used to be a multi-national array of cartoons, films and features for audiences to watch, influential to each other.
Apr 8, 2019 4:04 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I wouldn't define a go-to series to recommend people. I am not a preacher of anime, and converting people into sharing a hobby I have is nothing resembling a priority that I have, or a priority I think would have any worth at that.

If I did write a rec to someone, it'd be based on knowing them and what they like and thinking they might be interested in it. I bought my roommate some Junji Ito manga off of amazon as his birthday gift last year, because I know he's really into the aspect of Lovecraftian horror where it's being derived from the incomprehensible nature of the object of fear and I felt Junji Ito was really good at stuff like that. Got him fuckin' Uzumaki. He liked it. Because I fucking know the guy and know the sort of stuff he likes because we talk about this shit all the time, he's been my best friend for years by now. I just did the sensible thing and tailored my "rec" around him as an individual, not with the intention of showing him an anime/manga, but just simply introducing him to something he may like. Like I would've anything fucking else that I thought someone may be into.

And, if they say they don't want to because "oh...well, it's anime" then that isn't going to be my problem because it'd be a complete waste of my time and life to make it such. It is utterly fucking pointless to try and prove the value of worth to people you are well-aware have shut their doors to the idea. It's on them at that point, not you or anything you like. The emphasis on spreading appreciation of the medium around like a fucking plague virus that this fandom seems to have sometimes isn't even something I care to begin to understand.

But yeah, fuck introducing people to anime if it's going to involve reducing them down to being this sort of image as the most mainstream, western-oriented consumer and then tailoring recs around that. Fuck recs in general if it's stemming from a place of selfishness like that, that's the sort of thing that should be about them and built about them, not trying to decide the most general means of trying to proselytize your fucking hobby to people.

Always hated this question and topic >_>
ManabanApr 8, 2019 4:11 PM

Apr 8, 2019 4:14 PM

Jan 2018
Manaban said:
But yeah, fuck introducing people to anime if it's going to involve reducing them down to being this sort of image as the most mainstream, western-oriented consumer and then tailoring recs around that. Fuck recs in general if it's stemming from a place of selfishness like that, that's the sort of thing that should be about them and built about them, not trying to decide the most general means of trying to proselytize your fucking hobby to people.

Jesus Christ, dude. Why the aggression? I've never gone out of my way to push my hobbies on others if I didn't think it was something they would enjoy. The people I've exposed to anime now either love it, or are at least open to watching an anime film/series from time to time. The question stemmed from the fact that I was re-introduced to anime by another individual, and now it's my favorite form of entertainment. What's so wrong with trying to share that with others if you think they might like it?

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 8, 2019 4:21 PM

Mar 2016
Greyleaf said:
A lot of times, they think that all anime is a bunch of fighting and yelling, or over-sexualized characters

There are tons of casual 'anime fans' who fully believe all of this and say so very clearly. Obviously making people watch carefully picked 'safe' recs isn't going to help anybody. But at the same time making anybody watch anything is a really weird concept to me.
syncrogazerApr 8, 2019 4:28 PM
Apr 8, 2019 4:24 PM

Mar 2019
Greyleaf said:
Manaban said:

Jesus Christ, dude. Why the aggression? I've never gone out of my way to push my hobbies on others if I didn't think it was something they would enjoy. The people I've exposed to anime now either love it, or are at least open to watching an anime film/series from time to time. The question stemmed from the fact that I was re-introduced to anime by another individual, and now it's my favorite form of entertainment. What's so wrong with trying to share that with others if you think they might like it?

If they might like it then sure, go ahead and introduce them to it. A friend of mine was the one who introduced me to anime, I think that's because he knew I was open to things that might be "alternative," so to speak, though. But I think I kind of got the impression that some people here are like trying to prove how great anime is to people who are being resistant or think its weird and honestly if they are so shallow that they won't try something they might like because its "weird" then there's no point trying to prove anything to them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2019 4:27 PM

Jan 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Greyleaf said:

If they might like it then sure, go ahead and introduce them to it. A friend of mine was the one who introduced me to anime, I think that's because he knew I was open to things that might be "alternative," so to speak, though. But I think I kind of got the impression that some people here are like trying to prove how great anime is to people who are being resistant or think its weird and honestly if they are so shallow that they won't try something they might like because its "weird" then there's no point trying to prove anything to them.

Well the issue with this statement is that I was a rather closed-off "normie" myself before a friend of mine had introduced me to Cowboy Bebop. I fell in love with it, and jumped down the rabbit hole soon after. Now I'm not advocating that anyone push their beliefs regarding anime on people who are being extremely resistant to it, but I think there are other individuals out there who might end up enjoying the medium if they had the proper introduction.

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 8, 2019 4:36 PM

Jul 2007
Greyleaf said:
Well the issue with this statement is that I was a rather closed-off "normie" myself before a friend of mine had introduced me to Cowboy Bebop. I fell in love with it, and jumped down the rabbit hole soon after. Now I'm not advocating that anyone push their beliefs regarding anime on people who are being extremely resistant to it, but I think there are other individuals out there who might end up enjoying the medium if they had the proper introduction.

Is Cowboy Bebop really that good? I tried to get into it a few times but I could never make it past the first few episodes since I found it boring.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 8, 2019 4:40 PM

Sep 2018
Fullmetal Alchemist has been regarded as one of the best “first anime” by quite a few people I’ve seen, because it can show someone who’s not very familiar to the medium what kinds of things it can do without being too much. Also it includes a lot of different things like comedy, tragedy, fighting and even that tiny bit of romance, so there’s likely something anyone can get out of it. It shows anime is more than just fighting and yelling, but an emotional experience as well, I guess. Or maybe I’m just too much of an fma fanboy.
Apr 8, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2009
Famous and acclaimed anime movies are a good idea for general audiences, but if you happen to know the person in question well, try figuring out (e.g. by asking them) what they're in the mood to watch, and tailor your choice to fit that.

Heck, even people who have seen a lot of anime aren't necessarily going to like everything. For example, Assassination Classroom, which was mentioned in this thread, is something I dropped because I found the premise horribly contrived and forced, and it's certainly not something you should show me in order to get me to watch more of stuf you like (which is the perspective that anyone introducing someone to anime will have, functionally).

If you're not sure how to customize a choice, consider the following questions:

1. Does the person want a (usually meaty or emotional) story to take seriously, or a fun story to just laugh at casually?

2. Why is that person not interested in anime? You should try to pick something that is unlike their impression, to break their mental mold.

2'. Is there anything they really don't like? If they're open to you asking them what they don't like, then do ask them, but this can be an awkward question, so if you can't, try to avoid stuff that has much in the way of potentially controversial or internal-reference content -- for example, try to pick something with less sexual fanservice (unless the person requests otherwise) and doesn't depend much on anime memes and in-jokes.

3. What kind of stories does this person usually like? You can "score bonus points" if you pick out something they like, even if it's not your personal fave. For example, I like swords-and-sorcery fantasy stories, but if this person likes high school romcoms I'm gonna try to rack my brain for one of that genre that I've seen and like even though that's really not my home genre at all. I might even consult others' recommendations and ask friends who've seen relevant stuff for their opinions.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 8, 2019 5:23 PM

Jan 2018
EndlessMaria said:
Greyleaf said:

Is Cowboy Bebop really that good? I tried to get into it a few times but I could never make it past the first few episodes since I found it boring.

I personally consider it to be a masterpiece, but I can easily understand how some people might feel differently. I found it to be deeply philosophical, exploring topics such as nihilism and existentialism, all while maintaining a certain "cool" factor over its tonal shifts between the action segments and the more lighthearted scenes. Bebop's more about the ride than the story itself, but I can see how it would be boring if you don't enjoy the cast and their antics. If you're going to consider picking it back up, I'd say give it until at least episode 5 to see what you really think. And watch the dub. I'm a sub purist 99% of the time, but Bebop is a huge exception.

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 8, 2019 5:23 PM

Nov 2017
It depends on the person's interests and how well I know them. I recommended Love Live Sunshine to one of my professors and he loved it (this is 'cause I knew he watches shows like The X Factor and The Voice). Then we had nice talks about who our favourite idols are lol
Apr 8, 2019 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
@pullman & @greyleaf restoring my faith in the threads

♪♫ SIDE NOTE ♫♪

When I call my favorite genre trash harems, its cause they are a little trashy. I always express my fondness for the comedic trope fests in the same breath. ♥

I have been an (oddly derogatory sounding) "casual" fan, for a long time. Having random affairs with anime experiences but never really diving into the medium. What kept me out of it, is what is keeping a lot people out, THE FANS! Even if you can get past the cartoons are for kids ideation, and explain that anime is not this one size fits all format. There will always be that final hurdle, THE FANS!!

I am going to tell this story once again. If you so choose to read about my recent anime fan interaction ..

So not just over this incident but along with the other countless examples, I have come to believe a lot anime fans suck ass. They do not know how to be social, or behave. They are repugnant, and they justify it with a false anti-conformist hierarchy. Individuals don't want to end up being counted as one of them; so they stay away. I am super guilty about not openly broadcasting my fandom for the same reason. Most of my anime fan encounters have been unpleasant; so I don't really blame myself. This truly is a shame, cause anime is a wonderfully diverse entertainment format, with just about something for everyone. People are missing out.

I will confess, one of my goals is to bring more people to this wonderful medium. Not to sound like an evil villain, but I would like to bring masses so extreme, that the shit heads get flushed into obscurity, and become anecdotal instead of the stereotypical standard. Even if its just one positive interaction at a time, any growth is good growth. Also, if I were a degenerate fan, I wouldn't be offended by this. Whats good for the goose is good for the degenerate elitist human obstacle after all.

AND TO YOUR QUESTION: I always recommend movies. Especially now. They don't require such a commitment at first. Koe No Katatchi is gold for this, and a lot of great series have recap films.
Apr 8, 2019 7:21 PM

Mar 2019
jal90 said:
HungryForQuality said:

Why should we defend the tropes, exactly? If the goal is to bring outsiders in, wouldn't one be better off giving them good work that happens to be anime (like Bebop) rather than very anime work that happens to be good? I feel you'll have a lot easier time catching someone's imagination with potential than trying to assuage their distaste of anime's downsides.
Apr 8, 2019 7:32 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Vluddipijjun said:
jal90 said:

Why should we defend the tropes, exactly? If the goal is to bring outsiders in, wouldn't one be better off giving them good work that happens to be anime (like Bebop) rather than very anime work that happens to be good? I feel you'll have a lot easier time catching someone's imagination with potential than trying to assuage their distaste of anime's downsides.

You cannot convince somebody to get into Dystopian Sci-Fi as a genre if you pick works to show them that skirt a lot of the shared setups, actions, and constructs found within these works. You cannot convince somebody to get into fantasy as a holistic entity by showing them something completely removed from its contemporaries as how they'll be touching base with the genre.

The same is being applied to anime in this instance. Do we want to get them into one anime, or anime as a medium? If it's the latter that people going, showing them a work that's totally removed from the majority of its contemporaries is doing little more than giving them a false impression of what they'll be in for. They aren't getting into "anime." They're getting into an exception, something totally different from what they've established that they dislike. It barely does anything to show them the breadth of the medium as a whole, no matter how much they appreciate whatever show in question.

Either that, or good luck trying to get somebody to cling to their distaste for tropes so heavily and then explore the medium with that pre-determination in mind. They'll be extremely limited from the outset because nobody tried to combat their closed-mindedness to these elements to ever approach them properly or in any way productive without just continuing down the same sort of path that people in this thread seem so fearful of.
ManabanApr 8, 2019 7:36 PM

Apr 8, 2019 7:37 PM

Jan 2018
Vluddipijjun said:
jal90 said:

I agree with this. My friends that I've introduced to anime (and even myself, with Bebop specifically) started with shows that didn't fall into the norm of anime-only tropes that usually put people off to the medium to begin with. I began with Bebop, made my way to Steins;Gate, and then slowly started delving into what I would've otherwise considered to be bizarre, prior to my exposure to less daunting titles. I personally find it better to ease others into it, rather than having them jump head first into the perturbing side of anime and saying "better embrace it all right here and now." That's not how it works, lol.

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 8, 2019 7:40 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Greyleaf said:
I personally find it better to ease others into it, rather than having them jump head first into the perturbing side of anime and saying "better embrace it all right here and now." That's not how it works, lol.

Of course it isn't, and that is what nobody on that side was arguing for. They were arguing that the series shouldn't be so entirely removed from the medium that it doesn't give a good idea of what to expect down the line, while still having more inviting and friendly elements to help draw them in. What people like jal and maurice said seemed to outline that as clear as day.

It's simple balance. Not just throw them straight into a series like To LOVE-Ru unless you know they'll be down for it beforehand, just don't ignore certain things or try to pretend that they're not there when trying to introduce somebody to the medium. Avoid giving false impressions or ideas while making sure they're accounted for as much as possible.
ManabanApr 8, 2019 7:43 PM

Apr 8, 2019 7:44 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Vluddipijjun said:

You cannot convince somebody to get into Dystopian Sci-Fi as a genre if you pick works to show them that skirt a lot of the shared setups, actions, and constructs found within these works. You cannot convince somebody to get into fantasy as a holistic entity by showing them something completely removed from its contemporaries as how they'll be touching base with the genre.

The same is being applied to anime in this instance. Do we want to get them into one anime, or anime as a medium? If it's the latter that people going, showing them a work that's totally removed from the majority of its contemporaries is doing little more than giving them a false impression of what they'll be in for. They aren't getting into "anime." They're getting into an exception, something totally different from what they've established that they dislike.

Either that, or good luck trying to get somebody to cling to their distaste for tropes so heavily and then explore the medium with that pre-determination in mind. They'll be extremely limited from the outset because nobody tried to combat their closed-mindedness to these elements to ever approach them properly or in any way productive without just continuing down the same sort of path that people in this thread seem so fearful of.

There's some validity in what you're saying, though getting someone into the whole medium as you put it kind of entails a certain trashiness depending on how readily you goad them to accept tropes. If I was getting a friend into action movies, for instance, telling them to watch a cut-and-dry explosion fest is probably the most representative and concise way to treat them to the lowest common denominator of action as a genre, though this either confirms their suspicions of how braindead action movies are or leads them to adopt action for action's sake, rather than looking at what in action they like.

Same goes for me with anime. I myself am probably closer to the close-minded viewer archetype you put out than a card-carrying 'anime fan,' though I know that as a whole medium anime is large enough that the 'exceptions' are out there prodigiously. As such, I'd rather introduce them to stuff they can enjoy before becoming an 'anime fan' and leave it up to them to decide whether its worth the plunge to get into the kind of anime pulp that, from the outside looking in, seems like an impossible factor to ignore.
Apr 8, 2019 7:51 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Vluddipijjun said:

There's some validity in what you're saying, though getting someone into the whole medium as you put it kind of entails a certain trashiness depending on how readily you goad them to accept tropes. If I was getting a friend into action movies, for instance, telling them to watch a cut-and-dry explosion fest is probably the most representative and concise way to treat them to the lowest common denominator of action as a genre, though this either confirms their suspicions of how braindead action movies are or leads them to adopt action for action's sake, rather than looking at what in action they like.

And again, what you're fighting against wasn't making the argument of "show them a cut-and-dry explosion fest that's the most concise way to treat them to the lowest common denominator" and that seems clear as day from where I'm standing, given that it was explicitly stated.

Nobody said to throw people into the deep end right away, to introduce them to "trashiness" or anything like that. If anything, there was nothing short of an absolute willingness to try to accommodate these things and show them something a bit removed from what they'd perceive to be the most bog-standard trope-fest. It's just the mere idea of trying to get into somebody into anime as a whole while playing willfully ignorant of these elements is creating a dishonest image/representation of what they're being introduced to. In the realm of a singular series or show, sure, it'd be totally irrelevant - but that's not what the discussion is being centered around. It's being centered around the medium holistically.

Trying to argue it on these grounds is more or less blatantly misrepresenting the argument coming from that side and trying to shove things into an extremity. It's strawmanning, if that's how you're going to try to combat "don't hide the tropes from people."

The rest of your post is pretty anecdotal and I don't give a shit about it, frankly. It's nice, but I just don't give a care about you as a person, what's best for you in terms of getting into the medium, and what's best for people like you and how you'd want to apply your own approach to them. I just don't like how it feels like their arguments have a valid point to them and they're ostensibly being twisted and misrepresented in some weird-ass attempt to combat any acceptance of tropes, which is more or less how it's starting to come off with the counterpoints being brought forth.
ManabanApr 8, 2019 7:59 PM

Apr 8, 2019 7:55 PM

Mar 2019
Grizzziff said:
@pullman & @greyleaf restoring my faith in the threads

♪♫ SIDE NOTE ♫♪

When I call my favorite genre trash harems, its cause they are a little trashy. I always express my fondness for the comedic trope fests in the same breath. ♥

I have been an (oddly derogatory sounding) "casual" fan, for a long time. Having random affairs with anime experiences but never really diving into the medium. What kept me out of it, is what is keeping a lot people out, THE FANS! Even if you can get past the cartoons are for kids ideation, and explain that anime is not this one size fits all format. There will always be that final hurdle, THE FANS!!

I am going to tell this story once again. If you so choose to read about my recent anime fan interaction ..

So not just over this incident but along with the other countless examples, I have come to believe a lot anime fans suck ass. They do not know how to be social, or behave. They are repugnant, and they justify it with a false anti-conformist hierarchy. Individuals don't want to end up being counted as one of them; so they stay away. I am super guilty about not openly broadcasting my fandom for the same reason. Most of my anime fan encounters have been unpleasant; so I don't really blame myself. This truly is a shame, cause anime is a wonderfully diverse entertainment format, with just about something for everyone. People are missing out.

I will confess, one of my goals is to bring more people to this wonderful medium. Not to sound like an evil villain, but I would like to bring masses so extreme, that the shit heads get flushed into obscurity, and become anecdotal instead of the stereotypical standard. Even if its just one positive interaction at a time, any growth is good growth. Also, if I were a degenerate fan, I wouldn't be offended by this. Whats good for the goose is good for the degenerate elitist human obstacle after all.

AND TO YOUR QUESTION: I always recommend movies. Especially now. They don't require such a commitment at first. Koe No Katatchi is gold for this, and a lot of great series have recap films.

I don't mind the hardcore fans, at this point in my life I really have no desire to be considered a normal person who fits into mainstream society anymore. I tried to be normal once and it was suffocating. You may find the hardcore fans irritating but I am more concerned about what normies would do to the community if large numbers of them started being attracted to anime and I'm kind of glad the hardcore fans push them away a little.

Imagine if anime suddenly got infested with hardcore misandrist feminism, SJW propaganda, and if all the ecchi fanservice kind of stuff was eliminated because of that? One of the reasons I like anime a lot compared to US television right now is because I don't feel like half the characters and storylines are just SJW propaganda being shoved down my throat. Anime gives the writers more creative storytelling power, and one major part of that is because they aren't being suffocated by Hollywood political correctness.
Apr 8, 2019 7:58 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Vluddipijjun said:

And again, what you're fighting against wasn't making the argument of "show them a cut-and-dry explosion fest that's the most concise way to treat them to the lowest common denominator" and that seems clear as day from where I'm standing, given that it was explicitly stated.

Nobody said to throw people into the deep end right away, to introduce them to "trashiness" or anything like that. If anything, there was nothing short of an absolute willingness to try to accommodate these things and show them something a bit removed from what they'd perceive to be the most bog-standard trope-fest. It's just the mere idea of trying to get into somebody into anime as a whole while playing willfully ignorant of these elements is totally dishonest. In the realm of a singular series or show, sure, it'd be totally irrelevant - but that's not what the discussion is being centered around.

Trying to argue it on these grounds is more or less blatantly misrepresenting the argument coming from that side and trying to shove things into an extremity. It's strawmanning, if that's how you're going to try to combat "don't hide the tropes from people."

The rest of your post is pretty anecdotal and I don't give a shit about it, frankly. It's nice, but I just don't give a care about you as a person, what's best for you in terms of getting into the medium, and what's best for people like you and how you'd want to apply your own approach to them. I just don't like how it feels like their arguments have a valid point to them and they're ostensibly being twisted and misrepresented in some weird-ass attempt to combat any acceptance of tropes.

Well, I'm willing to listen; What is a better balance? I figured Bebop was a good example in that the person I first quoted listed it as an example of a good introductory show and I agree completely, though for a variety of reasons it's not super representative of the medium as a whole (the location is not in Japan, more than likely you'll be introducing them to the dub rather than the sub, other than Ed very few characters are very 'anime pulpy', etc.). What's something you'd advise as being more geniune?
Apr 8, 2019 8:06 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Vluddipijjun said:
Manaban said:

Nobody said to throw people into the deep end right away, to introduce them to "trashiness" or anything like that. If anything, there was nothing short of an absolute willingness to try to accommodate these things and show them something a bit removed from what they'd perceive to be the most bog-standard trope-fest. It's just the mere idea of trying to get into somebody into anime as a whole while playing willfully ignorant of these elements is totally dishonest. In the realm of a singular series or show, sure, it'd be totally irrelevant - but that's not what the discussion is being centered around.

The rest of your post is pretty anecdotal and I don't give a shit about it, frankly. It's nice, but I just don't give a care about you as a person, what's best for you in terms of getting into the medium, and what's best for people like you and how you'd want to apply your own approach to them. I just don't like how it feels like their arguments have a valid point to them and they're ostensibly being twisted and misrepresented in some weird-ass attempt to combat any acceptance of tropes.

Well, I'm willing to listen; What is a better balance? I figured Bebop was a good example in that the person I first quoted listed it as an example of a good introductory show and I agree completely, though for a variety of reasons it's not super representative of the medium as a whole (the location is not in Japan, more than likely you'll be introducing them to the dub rather than the sub, other than Ed very few characters are very 'anime pulpy', etc.). What's something you'd advise as being more geniune?

That's something I've never thought of nor do I really have much intention to, honestly. I dislike the entire notion of trying to get people into the medium holistically, no matter where or how people want to do it (which does include the ways of the people I'm "defending" here just because I dislike the fundamental concept of it) and I believe it should be something totally self-determined on their part. Or at the very least, if a recommendation should be made, it should be an single series that you know aligns with them well on a personal/individual level. That goes for trying to show other anime fans anime that I like as well, of course - it just seems like good etiquette for trying to show people new media in general.

I just dislike the mere idea of rejecting tropes and standard constructs as an element of trying to introduce somebody to the medium as a broader entity, especially with the ways that it was being countered. Hence why I responded in the first place, in spite of my rant against the whole idea of it earlier.
ManabanApr 8, 2019 8:17 PM

Apr 8, 2019 8:19 PM

Oct 2012
I cringe at a lot of people's recommendations. I regard FMA: Brotherhood as a masterpiece myself, but I am cognizant that my experience watching anime has desensitized myself to many tropes of anime, like chibi characters, or the manzai influenced slapstick, ridiculous overreactions, inappropriate fanservice, damsels in distress, etc., some of which are distinctly Japanese, and some of which would probably be odd even to the Japanese. To a Western audience with unfavorable view of anime, these things prove the distance of the moat. Some of these shows are considered classics within the anime community, but how "good" they are is a lost cause if the audience is distracted. For that reason, I would not recommend FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, or whatever, just because you think it's good doesn't mean the average Joe won't think it's utterly cheesy for female main characters to default to slut uniforms with their titties hanging out, or that Ed isn't a fucking weirdo.

If I were to recommend a complete non-anime fan a show, depending on what I think they'd like, I'd suggest shows like Detroit Metal City, Tatami Galaxy, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Colorful, or Mirai of the Future. I would not necessarily recommend Steins;Gate or Chihayafuru, even though those are my 10's. I would not recommend FMA: Brotherhood et. al. until possibly the third round, when they get to know what to expect in terms of anime characters acting weird due to stylistic quirks or fanservice.

Anime fans who don't think fanservice is bad should refrain from recommending any shows at all and risk giving other anime fans a bad name. I don't personally care because I don't identify with this community in general, but clearly this is a thing other people struggle with. You might not have noticed that pan shot of that elementary schooler's sexy legs, but to a non anime fan, that might as well have been Boku no Pico.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 8, 2019 8:20 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:

That's something I've never thought of nor do I really have much intention to, honestly. I dislike the entire notion of trying to get people into the medium holistically, no matter where or how people want to do it (which does include the ways of the people I'm "defending" here just because I dislike the fundamental concept of it) and I believe it should be something totally self-determined on their part. Or at the very least, if a recommendation should be made, it should be an single series that you know aligns with them well on a personal/individual level. That goes for trying to show other anime fans anime that I like as well, of course - it just seems like good etiquette for trying to show people new media in general.

I just dislike the mere idea of rejecting tropes and standard constructs as an element of trying to introduce somebody to the medium, especially with the ways that it was being countered.

Fair enough. From that, though, the next thing that interests me is what you personally draw from anime as a medium that you can't get elsewhere, which is probably the key difference in what we see as the optimal approach.

In my case, I'm normally attracted to the characters or story in ways that isn't present in a lot of other mediums, since most animation out there is oriented towards a younger audience. Hence, I like to introduce folks to anime works that have a story or characters that are well written and don't rely on knowledge of anime tropes as writing shorthand for what the character is like. I'm free to admit I like a lot of 'boring' shows, so for instance I'd be useless introducing someone to anime who wants to get in for the action or because the 'art looks cool.'

Me aside, what do you really draw on from anime that makes you choose it over different mediums?
Apr 8, 2019 8:27 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Vluddipijjun said:
Fair enough. From that, though, the next thing that interests me is what you personally draw from anime as a medium that you can't get elsewhere, which is probably the key difference in what we see as the optimal approach.

Me aside, what do you really draw on from anime that makes you choose it over different mediums?

Ecchi, fanservice, cute girls, fun stuff like that. It's the main thing I care about and it's the primary reason why I pop up for anything on this site anymore, to administrate the club for it and to sparingly wander in threads over the topic and end up fighting the whole world over it. How I ended up in this thread is a mystery to me.

Anything else is a secondary interest and I'm fairly open to what else can be offered, but I wouldn't say those are things that definitively draw me towards anime over any other medium. I feel like I can appreciate a wide variety of other types of shows other than H&E, but not in the way that pulls me to anime first and foremost, just as something I hear about or stumble across and think might be interesting.

Apr 8, 2019 8:33 PM
Sep 2017
I get into anime cause I saw SAO, but that was back when I was 14, I think that if you want to get somebody into anime you should see what they will like. For example

Me at my 14 years really like games, and like a cool character that is a young boy that is sorrounded by girls ( cause lets be real who woulndt want that )

but if I wanted to get someone into anime it would be:

Less than 12 Years: Some shounen, you could say MHA cause is the most famous one.

12-15: I would say something like SAO works really well.

15-18: I think that some show like shounen or fantasy Isekai but that are actually deep, Like HxH, or The shield one, or the slime one

18+: I think everyone at this age can enjoy everything, but it really depens on the person, I would recommend actual masterpieces, like Steins;gate, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Legend of the Galactic Heros, Monogatari, and stuff like that.

btw I have no Idea what im talking about.
Apr 8, 2019 8:35 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Vluddipijjun said:

Ecchi, fanservice, cute girls, fun stuff like that. It's the main thing I care about and it's the primary reason why I pop up for anything on this site anymore, to administrate the club for it and to sparingly wander in threads and end up fighting the whole world over it. Anything else is a secondary interest and I'm fairly open to what else can be offered, but I wouldn't say those are things that definitively draw me towards anime over any other medium.

I appreciate the honest answer, though if I may suggest, in a way with as little feather ruffling as possible, that maybe you defend the broader idea of anime as medium, tropes and all, out of bias of enjoying those aspects of it?

I'm not big on them, so ecchi and fanservice drifting into a show I picked up for story is normally a buzzkill for me, though would it turn you off to a cute girl series if the story or characters suddenly got deeper?*

*(Not asking rhetorically to prove a point; I understand when heads began to roll in Madoka, the cutesy magical girl crowd probably started sweating and looking for the door)
Apr 8, 2019 8:45 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Vluddipijjun said:

I appreciate the honest answer, though if I may suggest, in a way with as little feather ruffling as possible, that maybe you defend the broader idea of anime as medium, tropes and all, out of bias of enjoying those aspects of it?

The likelihood is about the same as you advocating disregarding these elements due to having an open dislike for them. Meaning that, no, I don't appreciate being accused of bias in this instance on the basis of what I like. It completely disregards any point I've made thus far in favor of what's (ostensibly) building this narrative of blindly defending something.

Or, another way to look at it is that I'm rather open in my contempt for trying to introduce people to anime as a medium in general, and yet I'm defending an aspect of it from what I perceive as unfair criticism. It'd be a major conflict of interest to further this discussion in order to defend one way of doing this from scorn from another way, whenever I hold the main idea that both are discussing in contempt on a fundamental level and I don't like how it's a frequent topic in this community in the first place. Given I didn't exactly walk into this thread with the intent of discussing ecchi and discussing my interest in it is a relatively recent addition to the conversation, this contempt has been at the forefront of my mind throughout the discussion and it's been a consistent theme since the first post.

Vluddipijjun said:
I'm not big on them, so ecchi and fanservice drifting into a show I picked up for story is normally a buzzkill for me, though would it turn you off to a cute girl series if the story or characters suddenly got deeper?*

Yeah, the idea repulses me. It sounds pretentious and unnecessary - and I would fear that such a series could very easily delve into coming from a place of spite towards the primary demographic at that - but more importantly, I don't watch these shows for thematic analysis or philosophical ponderings and that has extremely little to do with what makes me want to watch one in the first place. It is not something I would actively seek out to watch.
ManabanApr 8, 2019 8:54 PM

Apr 8, 2019 8:53 PM

Aug 2018
Mob Psycho. I already recommended it to a friend and he finished it relatively fast and seemed to have enjoyed the experience as well.
If i find people without a big knowledge about anime and i can act as their anime guide you can bet your life that im gonna try to turn them into salty "elitists" just like i am.
"Kimi no Na wa" so they can see how literally nothing happens on screen for hours?
"Toradora" so they can see how toxic and wretched some cardboard characters can be?
"Hero Academia" so they can enjoy nice graphics while seeing a story and characters that have been shown a thousand times before? (which they havent seen and will gonna say "Wow x anime is a copy of My Hero Academy..." on the near future) ("Cordobez you are a fat salty asshole!" I'm not fat...)

The best choices would be well rounded non cliched """serious""" short animes. They have to be short because the longer the anime the higher the chances they will drop it because who honestly has the time to watch a 500 episodes anime.
Mob Psycho 100 fits almost every criteria and its an amazing start for non anime watchers.
Aside from that... well i dont know if Psycho Pass might freak them away from the medium specially since it has a harsh first episode.
Death Note could be a really interesting choice since its pretty unique and its something well known.
One Punch Man has a really atractive concept.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures has some incredibly straightforward first season.
Yakusoku no Neverland its incredibly easy to digest because Matrix, Prison Break and other popular shows here in the west and its a really fine experience on its own.
I dont have any more recommendations because i barely watch anime :/
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Apr 8, 2019 9:07 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Vluddipijjun said:

The likelihood is about the same as you advocating disregarding these elements due to having an open dislike for them. Meaning that, no, I don't appreciate being accused of bias in this instance on the basis of what I like. It completely disregards any point I've made thus far in favor of what's (ostensibly) building this narrative of blindly defending something.

Or, another way to look at it is that I'm rather open in my contempt for trying to introduce people to anime as a medium in general, and yet I'm defending an aspect of it from what I perceive as unfair criticism. It'd be a major conflict of interest to defend one way of doing this from scorn from another way whenever I hold the main idea that both are discussing in contempt on a fundamental level.

Vluddipijjun said:

Yeah, the idea repulses me. It sounds pretentious and unnecessary - and I would fear that such a series could very easily delve into coming from a place of spite towards the primary demographic at that - but more importantly, I don't watch these shows for thematic analysis or philosophical ponderings and that has extremely little to do with what makes me want to watch one in the first place. It is not something I would actively seek out to watch.

I'm not trying to pin you into anything. In fact, it seems unlikely to you from my perspective that I can look past elements I openly dislike, though that's not necessarily true. Evangelion has its share of fanservice and generic 'anime goodness' for a stretch, though it remains amoungst my favorites since the story and characters are so deep to me. Similarly, you might put up with some introspection from a cute anime so long as it's in service to making the show cute or doesn't detract from it. I'll be honest though, I love the idea of a bait and switch cutesy show with contempt for its erstwhile 'primary demographic,' so if you have any in mind let me know, since I might get a kick out of them.

I'm not saying your argumentation is invalid or blinded by bias, but merely perhaps influenced by it. It's not disingenuous to try to introduce someone to anime whilst avoiding ecchi, fanservice, and tropes if you're trying to cherry pick shows on basis of another standard of success. That's where I'd say you have a bias in favor of those aspects, since it seems wrong to you to try to avoid those aspects when introducing a new viewer to anime, to which I'm open to remonstration if I've misrepresented your viewpoint.

Ryuk9428 said:
Imagine if anime suddenly got infested with hardcore misandrist feminism, SJW propaganda, and if all the ecchi fanservice kind of stuff was eliminated because of that? One of the reasons I like anime a lot compared to US television right now is because I don't feel like half the characters and storylines are just SJW propaganda being shoved down my throat. Anime gives the writers more creative storytelling power, and one major part of that is because they aren't being suffocated by Hollywood political correctness.

Unrelated to the above line of discussion, but this is perhaps a more spooky outcome than the genre devolving entirely into a cult of fanservice and ecchi. If you're into slippery slopes Ryu, you could say the con scene is picking up more of those Western values you wish to see remain isolated from anime. That's a discussion for another day though.
Apr 8, 2019 9:33 PM

May 2018
Never, NO WAY, Zero chance! This is a local shop for local people - no outsiders allowed LOL.
Apr 8, 2019 10:05 PM

Mar 2019
Vluddipijjun said:
Manaban said:

Or, another way to look at it is that I'm rather open in my contempt for trying to introduce people to anime as a medium in general, and yet I'm defending an aspect of it from what I perceive as unfair criticism. It'd be a major conflict of interest to defend one way of doing this from scorn from another way whenever I hold the main idea that both are discussing in contempt on a fundamental level.

I'm not trying to pin you into anything. In fact, it seems unlikely to you from my perspective that I can look past elements I openly dislike, though that's not necessarily true. Evangelion has its share of fanservice and generic 'anime goodness' for a stretch, though it remains amoungst my favorites since the story and characters are so deep to me. Similarly, you might put up with some introspection from a cute anime so long as it's in service to making the show cute or doesn't detract from it. I'll be honest though, I love the idea of a bait and switch cutesy show with contempt for its erstwhile 'primary demographic,' so if you have any in mind let me know, since I might get a kick out of them.

I'm not saying your argumentation is invalid or blinded by bias, but merely perhaps influenced by it. It's not disingenuous to try to introduce someone to anime whilst avoiding ecchi, fanservice, and tropes if you're trying to cherry pick shows on basis of another standard of success. That's where I'd say you have a bias in favor of those aspects, since it seems wrong to you to try to avoid those aspects when introducing a new viewer to anime, to which I'm open to remonstration if I've misrepresented your viewpoint.

Ryuk9428 said:

Unrelated to the above line of discussion, but this is perhaps a more spooky outcome than the genre devolving entirely into a cult of fanservice and ecchi. If you're into slippery slopes Ryu, you could say the con scene is picking up more of those Western values you wish to see remain isolated from anime. That's a discussion for another day though.

I feel like it is related because I don't feel like we should be trying to convince people to watch anime who don't really respect it or the culture surrounding it from the beginning. I don't feel like anime is so underground that its hard to find other people who like it but I also don't particularly want people getting into anime if they think all the tropes that are a part of it are stupid.
Apr 8, 2019 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:

I don't mind the hardcore fans, at this point in my life I really have no desire to be considered a normal person who fits into mainstream society anymore. I tried to be normal once and it was suffocating. You may find the hardcore fans irritating but I am more concerned about what normies would do to the community if large numbers of them started being attracted to anime and I'm kind of glad the hardcore fans push them away a little.

You sound like a proper bigot.... HA, Im just jokin. How'd you happen upon one of my biggest fears? Is it my image? If it walks like a man, talks like a man... You see though, that lot you mentioned, they're in the western fan base in number already. That's where you find the I identify as a cat girl lot.

Also, I promise being a hardcore fan won't put disinterest between me and a person. I am now a rather hardcore fan myself. Its the all to common behavioral issues and the intensity of fans I don't favor. Like bad dogs that cant get on with other dogs. Just that basic rude ass pretentiousness that comes package deal from your average anime degen. The waifu pillow culture might not be for me, but that is not even that high ranking when we are talking about detracting factors. Its a part of it sure, but everyone always tries to cover that issue first, even when dealing with the fan service recommendations. The awkwardly affectionate, are really a stilt the actual discrepancy stands on. You finally find anime interesting, good, now some one that owns a waifu pillow is being an asshole to you. See, its just a little extra salt but not the wound.

Honestly, at the end of the day IF YOU LOVE ANIME, then you should want it to do better financially. You are surrounded by loved ones and friends, I hope anyway, and you know their interests just as good as anyone else would. NOW, you have thousands of pieces of diversified anime content, ALL collected on an excellent resource like MAL. Take a breath, figure one out, reach out and show em.

removed-userApr 8, 2019 10:14 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Apr 28

65 by joseifan »»
47 seconds ago

» Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy, Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop) Video Interview

MisatoAdmin - Apr 30

5 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Do your parents even know that you have a waifu?

Spunkert - Yesterday

18 by GrimAtrament »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - Apr 26

26 by Skuletor »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

105 by DreamWindow »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.