Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Honzuki no Gekokujou' Receives TV Anime Adaptation

New
Mar 7, 2019 8:34 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Happinet Pictures opened an official website for a TV anime adaptation of Miya Kazuki and You Shiina's Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen (Ascendance of a Bookworm: Stop at Nothing to be a Librarian) light novel series on Friday.

Synopsis
Motosu Urano, a book-loving college student who just got her Librarian certification and was supposed to enter the job of her dreams after graduation, was killed during a massive earthquake crushing her underneath a pile of her own massive collection of books.

Wishing for reincarnation in order to read even more, she got reincarnated to a world with a low literacy level and very few books, limited only to the nobility of the world. As she reincarnated as 5-year-old daughter of a lowly soldier, Maine, no matter how much she wants to read, there is no way there are any books around. If there are no books then what do you do? You make them yourself of course... What her goal is, to become a librarian no matter what, and to live a life surrounded by books. For starters she begins from making them. (Source: MU, edited)

Staff
Director: Mitsuru Hongou (World Trigger)
Assistant Director: Yoshiki Kawasaki (Shuumatsu no Izetta episode director)
Series Composition: Mariko Kunisawa (Shinryaku! Ika Musume script)
Character Design: Yoshiaki Yanagida (Genshiken 2), Toshihisa Kaiya (Robotics;Notes animation director)
Studio: Ajia-Do

Cast
Maine: Yuka Iguchi (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Ferdinand: Show Hayami (Trigun)

Kazuki launched the fantasy slice of life novel on the Shousetsuka ni Narou website in September 2013 and ended it with 677 chapters in March 2017. TO Books began publishing the series with illustrations by Shiina in January 2015. The 17th volume was published last December, with the 18th volume scheduled for release on Wednesday. Honzuki no Gekokujou has a cumulative 1 million copies of its volumes in circulation.

Suzuka's manga adaptation of the novel's first part launched on the Nico Nico Seiga website in October 2015. The seventh and last compiled volume went on sale in August 2018. The first volume of the second part is planned for an April 25 release. J-Novel Club licensed the manga for digital release this past November.

Honzuki no Gekokujou placed fifth in the 2017 edition and consecutively first in the 2018 and 2019 editions of the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! rankings' Book category.

Teaser PV

Official site: http://booklove-anime.jp/
Official Twitter: @anime_booklove

Source: PR Times

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen on MAL
VindstotJul 12, 2020 7:04 PM

Mar 7, 2019 8:51 PM

Feb 2013
This finally got an anime. One of the best Isekai LN out there but unfortunately, the staff of the anime is really lame. The character designer already did a bad job in the transition of the novel for anime, the director is the same of world trigger and the studio is ajiado. I'll watch ofc but expectations aren't big
Mar 7, 2019 9:16 PM

Dec 2018
I remember more than a year ago that they were going to announce something about this the next day, a somewhat exaggerated delay, but that good in the end resulted in an adaptation to the anime, and well deserved, to be able to clean the reputation of the isekai.

This finally got an anime. One of the best Isekai LN out there but unfortunately, the staff of the anime is really lame. The character designer already did a bad job in the transition of the novel for anime, the director is the same of world trigger and the studio is ajiado. I'll watch ofc but expectations aren't big

I hope that in the end can stand out for the content in itself rather than the technical as it is very good, I doubt that they can ruin it unlike other isekai's where the source material was already bad so the adaptation could not do much.
Mar 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Nov 2016
Oh yes that interesting and beautiful story about a loli in another world, I look forward to it :D
Mar 7, 2019 9:52 PM

Feb 2019
As an isekai without a losing and unpleasant protagonist? I'm in
Mar 7, 2019 9:58 PM

Oct 2013
Mar 7, 2019 11:00 PM

Apr 2009
Ascendance of a Book Fetishist got an adaptation, huh? What's the world coming to.
Mar 7, 2019 11:18 PM

Dec 2015
What a living Hell...

Since it's already reaching 17novels, this is surely a vain storyless series. But it's about books so... guess I will watch the 1st episode.
Mar 7, 2019 11:47 PM

Sep 2016
Read this a few years ago, but now I see that not many people like the protagonist ?
Mar 8, 2019 12:16 AM

May 2014
I read this one a few months ago I will give this anime a trt before I judge it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2019 4:28 AM

Feb 2019
Nanaca said:
Ascendance of a Book Fetishist got an adaptation, huh? What's the world coming to.

Are you dumb or what? It is obvious that he will use his knowledge and memories of books to make his own work in the new world so that everyone stops being illiterate and makes progress
Mar 8, 2019 5:03 AM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
YESSSSSSS, IT'S HEEEEEREEEE!!!!!!!!!XD THIS IS THE ONE LN ADAPTATION I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TOO THE MOST, THANK YOU KAMISAMA!!!!!!!!!XD (yes, well sorry for overeacting, lol)
Mar 8, 2019 5:10 AM

Apr 2013
Best japanese fantasy novel currently being published that I know off is getting an adaptation, huh.
That's cool, however TO Books is a small publisher, that may not have the money to make anything good out of it. The fact that they waited so long to adapt it kind of tells you already that there's some problems to find enough sponsors to do it properly ImO.
The art is kind of off already in the trailer, that's too bad.
Also, that last scene is second arc, which if it's not just a cameo for the fans in the trailer, would mean adapting 7 volumes.
If it's one cour, this could be pretty bad.

But oh well, it's cool. As long as the seiyuu do a proper job voicing, I should be able to enjoy that adaptation to the fullest. May not be the case of peoples not reading the novels though, we'll have to see.

I'll keep my hope up despite those doubts. Honzuki is an amazing fantasy novel full of amazing characters and very enjoyable banters. If the seiyuu do a good job with the voicing, the quality from the original material combined with Seiyuu's work could be more than enough to carry the adaptation regardless of anything else.

Chikenfrieds said:
Nanaca said:

Are you dumb or what? It is obvious that he will use his knowledge and memories of books to make his own work in the new world so that everyone stops being illiterate and makes progress

Protagonist is a she, not a he.
Also, you probably didn't understand the person you quoted.
ZefyrisMar 8, 2019 5:13 AM
Mar 8, 2019 7:35 AM

Jan 2019
this looks very interesting, the main character is so cute too and she looks funny
Mar 8, 2019 1:10 PM

Jul 2017
After two announcements in the past two years this gets finally animated, even though the staff is pretty underwhelming, and the visual is odd at the very least. I really hope this turns out to be good.
Mar 8, 2019 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest the staff looks kinda okay. Though the visuals look kinda underwhelming and even as it's own merit. But I hope content wise it's executed well or can at least be enjoyable.
Mar 8, 2019 5:57 PM
Sep 2018
Eh.. your standard is pretty low if you think this is the best isekai novel. This is so meh for me. The MC is dumb, spoiled, selfish, so unlikeable. This isekai is the same with others. Treating the other world only consists of idiots. Truly, I don’t get why this got an anime when there are a lot of much better isekai stories out there.
Mar 8, 2019 7:10 PM

Jan 2016
Ah, I remember its novel always in top sales. Also it's on my ptr list for so long. Looking forward to it.
Mar 8, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2013
iamadragonrawrrr said:
Eh.. your standard is pretty low if you think this is the best isekai novel. This is so meh for me. The MC is dumb, spoiled, selfish, so unlikeable. This isekai is the same with others. Treating the other world only consists of idiots. Truly, I don’t get why this got an anime when there are a lot of much better isekai stories out there.

The MC is fairly smart, spoils the peoples she loves, is more selfless than most character in this story (while still being a full fledged human being with her selfish moment), and very likable. So either you're smoking something bad for your health, or your reading comprehension is low, or you're unable to keep reading something long enough to properly apprehend the direction it's going.
Your pick.
ZefyrisMar 9, 2019 4:16 AM
Mar 9, 2019 3:50 AM

Dec 2018

you must have sawdust in the brain to compare this quality work with the other garbage like the idiot of the shield or the neet that becomes demon king
Mar 9, 2019 4:38 AM

Feb 2019
I really do not understand the great expectation that this anime is receiving, if people are already bored of overlord or slime, here they will be bored 100 times more since there is no action or fight or a plot more intriguing than the theme of the books, and the protagonist is as unbearable more than any other male protagonist in any other isekai, but I think people will forgive him simply because he is a girl :/
Mar 9, 2019 5:01 AM

Apr 2013
RayReynolds said:
I really do not understand the great expectation that this anime is receiving, if people are already bored of overlord or slime, here they will be bored 100 times more since there is no action or fight or a plot more intriguing than the theme of the books, and the protagonist is as unbearable more than any other male protagonist in any other isekai, but I think people will forgive him simply because he is a girl :/

Uh no, the protagonist here is very likable after a while. She just STARTS as someone not likable, and since those novels are well written, guess what, character change and grow through experience and encountering each others.
As for why peoples are excited about that one maybe ;
-because the source material for this one is extremely good
-because it's something fundamentally different of the "I was brought in another world with OP power and a harem is waiting for me" stuff?
Do you know that for some, fights like in naruto , bleach and the like are far more boring than a whole good slice and life episode will ever be?
Maybe you should simply accept that not everyone find the same things enjoyable. Just because slow paced fantasy without fights bores you doesn't mean that it will bore other.

it's... really just that. If there's anyone who doesn't like slow paced stories but somehow has any kind of expectation for Honzuki, then that would be wrongly placed expectations indeed, of that I agree. This isn't a shounen battle stuff or anything. If they're having expectation precisely because they think it's going different from those type of stories, then they're far more correct.~

Mar 9, 2019 9:35 AM

Feb 2019
Zefyris said:
RayReynolds said:

Uh no, the protagonist here is very likable after a while. She just STARTS as someone not likable, and since those novels are well written, guess what, character change and grow through experience and encountering each others.
-because it's something fundamentally different of the "I was brought in another world with OP power and a harem is waiting for me" stuff?
Do you know that for some, fights like in naruto , bleach and the like are far more boring than a whole good slice and life episode will ever be?
Maybe you should simply accept that not everyone find the same things enjoyable. Just because slow paced fantasy without fights bores you doesn't mean that it will bore other.

it's... really just that. If there's anyone who doesn't like slow paced stories but somehow has any kind of expectation for Honzuki, then that would be wrongly placed expectations indeed, of that I agree. This isn't a shounen battle stuff or anything. If they're having expectation precisely because they think it's going different from those type of stories, then they're far more correct.~

What really bothers me is the excessive condescension that it has only because of the fact that the protagonist is a girl, if it were a boy everybody would be throwing shit and saying that it is just another absurd self-insertion story of a loser Neet and blah blah ... in their day rimuru and satou told them the same thing since none of them was a loser since both had jobs, people do not give their opinion only invents lies
Mar 9, 2019 9:52 AM

Apr 2013
RayReynolds said:
Zefyris said:

What really bothers me is the excessive condescension that it has only because of the fact that the protagonist is a girl, if it were a boy everybody would be throwing shit and saying that it is just another absurd self-insertion story of a loser Neet and blah blah ... in their day rimuru and satou told them the same thing since none of them was a loser since both had jobs, people do not give their opinion only invents lies

Dude, female or male, that character is well written, has a lot of character development, is not a self insert character since she's actually reborn FAR WEAKER than her previous incarnation (who was already a young woman who was spoending her time reading so not strong even for human standards), she wasn't a neet at all since she was just finishing her studies and had got a job as librarian waiting for her as well.
She was just autistic with a restricted interest in books (and that's why her personality at the beginning is liek this, contrary to some stupid isekai out there, she didn't change personality just because she was reincarnated, she actually requires time and meeting peoples to change), but that's it. She wasn't a loser, a neet or anything.
The fact that she's female has little to do with her being appreciated and loved for how good of a character she is.
Mar 9, 2019 10:29 AM

Feb 2019
[/quote]
Zefyris said:
RayReynolds said:

Dude, female or male, that character is well written, has a lot of character development, is not a self insert character since she's actually reborn FAR WEAKER than her previous incarnation (who was already a young woman who was spoending her time reading so not strong even for human standards), she wasn't a neet at all since she was just finishing her studies and had got a job as librarian waiting for her as well.
She was just autistic with a restricted interest in books (and that's why her personality at the beginning is liek this, contrary to some stupid isekai out there, she didn't change personality just because she was reincarnated, she actually requires time and meeting peoples to change), but that's it. She wasn't a loser, a neet or anything.
The fact that she's female has little to do with her being appreciated and loved for how good of a character she is.

I am speaking from the point of view of the people who do not know that, those who only will know of the history for the anime, who have not read the novels
if the protagonist were another, I'm sure by my mother that people would have another reaction
Mar 9, 2019 10:36 AM

Apr 2013
RayReynolds said:

I am speaking from the point of view of the people who do not know that, those who only will know of the history for the anime, who have not read the novels
if the protagonist were another, I'm sure by my mother that people would have another reaction

Well, I get you, but there's also plenty of peoples that will drop this series or refuse to watch it just BECAUSE the main protagonist is a little girl, without letting her a single chance.
So since it goes both way, I don't think there's a point in being annoyed by this.
Mar 9, 2019 11:42 AM

May 2015
An anime about the hardest of reads...Well Wakaokami wa Shougakusei did wonders for me last year. Let's see if this will do the same.
Mar 9, 2019 11:54 AM

Mar 2014
iamadragonrawrrr said:

>modern LN isekai
>high standards

Pick one, and just one, dude.

At least the protag of this one does not get 48759475897696 cheat habilities and max level in episode 1 (why TF the japanese think this makes a compelling premisse?), neitheir is a NEET loser who gets an harem.
Sound solidly above average to me. What "much better isekais" you talking about. They are almost all the same.

Most people welcoming this are readers of the novel themselves. Or just happy is a isekai without OP protag who gets an harem.
FabrisMar 9, 2019 12:04 PM
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Mar 9, 2019 12:47 PM

Feb 2019
@fabris I think people do not care if the protagonist is OP or not always if the protagonist is not a boy, as shown here with another isekai of a girl with goddess powers https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1709777
Mar 9, 2019 12:51 PM

Mar 2010
this looks interesting. hope it comes out soon
Mar 11, 2019 1:56 PM

Dec 2018
I am going to declare this here and now, if in the end it would result in a great anime, it will not matter to the people if this is an isekai
Mar 16, 2019 3:23 AM
Sep 2017
Can i ask something before putting this as plan to watch.

Are there Any Immoral sh!t in this Light Novel? (Like Loli's x Adults and Incest)

Cause i HATE THOSE STUFF VERY MUCH! pls just put a Spoiler Tag.

Mar 16, 2019 3:32 AM

Apr 2013
ThreadFazer said:

Are there Any Immoral sh!t in this Light Novel? (Like Loli's x Adults and Incest)

No, none of those two after 17 volumes, that's not this type of story. peoples can't even mary before they're 16 in there IIRC, and even peoples like royalty and nobles(who in our world had quite the amount of incest in history) are going for wedding with someone out of the family (or at worst barely related, like having the same great grand father or something).

EDIT : aahh.. wait, there's some form of pedophilia for a while I think, IIRC the girl is like 14 or something, it's a topic for a while in arc 2 but it's not with the main characters and it's frown upon by pretty much everyone else for the time it lasted.
ZefyrisMar 16, 2019 3:38 AM
Mar 16, 2019 3:35 AM
Sep 2017
Zefyris said:
ThreadFazer said:

No, none of those two after 17 volumes, that's not this type of story.
okey..but after the 17 Volumes? So what fetish/immoral stuf happened in the 17 volumes, Can you tell me? (just put a spoiler tag)

And i dont really mind the incest that much, its The Loli X Adult that i Hate.

Mar 16, 2019 3:40 AM

Apr 2013
ThreadFazer said:
Zefyris said:

No, none of those two after 17 volumes, that's not this type of story.
okey..but after the 17 Volumes? So what fetish/immoral stuf happened in the 17 volumes, Can you tell me? (just put a spoiler tag)

You quoted me before I could edit , so putting it back there
"there's some form of pedophilia for a while I think, IIRC the girl is like 14 or something, it's a topic for a while in arc 2 but it's not with the main characters and it's frown upon by pretty much everyone else for the time it lasted." We also don't see it directly happening, we know it's happening and other characters are not happy about it happening.
I'd like to point out that it's a medieval world, so criteria are a bit different in there than they are in our world for what is immoral or not.
Nobles being able to get commoners killed on a simple word from their part because nobles are always right in a commoner vs noble dispute and stuff like that is a thing for example.
Mar 16, 2019 3:49 AM
Sep 2017
Zefyris said:
ThreadFazer said:

You quoted me before I could edit , so putting it back there
"there's some form of pedophilia for a while I think, IIRC the girl is like 14 or something, it's a topic for a while in arc 2 but it's not with the main characters and it's frown upon by pretty much everyone else for the time it lasted.".
I'd like to point out that it's a medieval world, so criteria are a bit different in there than they are in our world for what is immoral or not.
Nobles being able to get commoners killed on a simple word from their part because nobles are always right in a commoner vs noble dispute and stuff like that is a thing for example.
Oh thank you very much, atlest the Pedo stuff is not with the Main Cast (that's a Relief)

Ill instantly watch this when the Anime comes up, for now ill add this to Plan to watch. thank you again.

Mar 17, 2019 2:08 AM

Apr 2013
You're welcome.

And J-novel club just announced the licensing of the original Honzuki no Gekokujou novel as well.
source: https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1107199877895913472
Mar 17, 2019 3:00 PM

Oct 2017
Although I am happy to see it's have got so much popularity. As a light novel reader, I actually disagree about making honzuki into an anime. Not everything should be made into anime it just does not work that way. Honzuki is sth you need to slowly progress, it doesn't have a lot of action /fighting scenes like most of the isekai anime does. It has an amazing character plot slowly progress and def one of the best isekai novels out there. I don't think a few episodes of animation will ever build up to the level what a light novel can do, it is also the reason why a lot of criticism on a slice of life anime (that requires building up connections) adapted from the light novel on how plain it is. Not to mention its animation :/

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Mar 20, 2019 3:56 AM
Jun 2017
I've not read the novel seeing that it was not my cup of tea. Now that it is getting an anime adaptation I do want to check it out... Is it worth the read though??
Mar 20, 2019 12:30 PM

Aug 2015
Since I've read some comments here and there about Honzuki, I decided to give it a try. The manga had me hooked, then I switched to the translated web novel and now I've bought all available light novel volumes. It's been a damn long time since I've read a light novel, but I'm really enjoying this one so far.

Not expecting too much of the anime though.
May 19, 2019 9:55 PM

Feb 2013
Fede_5000 said:

you must have sawdust in the brain to compare this quality work with the other garbage like the idiot of the shield or the neet that becomes demon king

You don't even read novels man, what are you talking about? Your only references are anime, so how you're so sure about this being good or others when you only know those works when they get adaptations?
May 19, 2019 11:26 PM

Nov 2007
First ep. will be included in novel vol. 4-8 releasing on September 10 (releasing prior to TV anime broadcast).
https://twitter.com/anime_booklove/status/1130307319173005313
https://twitter.com/TOBOOKS/status/1130307439427956736
https://twitter.com/miyakazuki01/status/1130321408574119938
https://moca-news.net/article/20190520/2019052012000a_/01/
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 20, 2019 5:48 AM

Dec 2018
caio_brb said:
Fede_5000 said:

You don't even read novels man, what are you talking about? Your only references are anime, so how you're so sure about this being good or others when you only know those works when they get adaptations?

I know enough of them to know that they are wrong from their concept.
Naofumi it's a manchild who just had a false accusation thrown their way and uses that as an excuse to justify being horrible, the story always acts like he's actually a really good person while making everyone who is against him either an idiot or evil. A good adaptation would change much of the story to improve was by not giving the reason to the protagonist or not demonizing their rivals.
May 30, 2019 8:07 PM

Nov 2007
OP: "Masshiro (真っ白)" by Sumire Moroboshi, who will artist debut via this song.
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1559011079

ED: "Kamikazari no Tenshi (髪飾りの天使)" by Megumi Nakajima
Announced via Line Live commemorating her b-day and best album release.
https://twitter.com/mamegu_staff/status/1136269677829603328
https://twitter.com/anime_booklove/status/1136259629837455360
tsubasaloverJun 5, 2019 7:30 PM
May 30, 2019 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
Considering that AFAIk opening singers who are also seiyuu are often part of the seiyuu cast for that anime, and that she's a fairly experienced seiyuu, wondering if that means she's part of the cast herself.
->For Tuuri maybe?
Jun 5, 2019 8:02 PM

Nov 2007
4 additional cast and music composer announced.
Premieres This Fall
https://moca-news.net/article/20190606/2019060612000b_/01/

tsubasaloverJun 5, 2019 8:08 PM
Jun 6, 2019 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
I mostly know Nakajima Megumi for her role as Kasukabe You (Mondaiji) so I'm a bit surprised by the choice with just that, as both characters don't have the same kind of vibes. But maybe the seiyuu has enough range to cover that, as hearing only one of her role isn't enough to conclude anything~

oh my gosh my favourite seiyuu (Orikasa Fumiko) is doubling Effa, that's so cool <3.

Tamura Mutsumi for Lutz sounds like a pretty good pick.
Koyama Tsuyoshi (Gunter here) was Youhei in Mahou no sho, and I think the vibes of those two characters are quite a bit similar so again, pretty satisfying pick.

So far we're getting experienced seiyuu, and imo having good seiyuu will really make or break this anime as character banters are primordial for enjoying it, so looking pretty good. Especially Orikasa Fumiko, not gonna lie, she's top level for me. I kind of wish she was cast as someone with more lines than Effa on the long run though, but that's better than nothing.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
4 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
36 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.