Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2018 7:46 PM

Sep 2017
Birdman08 said:
Dlwuik said:
i don't like this anime because it's bad

the stop watching it
Birdman08 said:
Dlwuik said:
i don't like this anime because it's bad

the stop watching it

i did stop watching it.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 17, 2018 7:47 PM
Dec 2016
haydnwright said:
2 episodes in and I'm already pissed off with them beating around the bush when it comes to the Major, is he dead or not? ffs.

he's dead, didn't get any hint? i already know this back in the episode one

Nov 2007
This is product of kyoani's LN award.....an award full of KYOANI circle jerking!

Jan 2008
A bit sad there wasn't any opening, was hoping to see it hint at more future things to come.

I guess Hodgins doesn't plan to tell her about Gilbert any soon. It's only going to make it more difficult for him the longer he does.

Was nice to see Erica stand up for Violet already, I was worried they were going to drag out some drama between the group.

Violet finally has her signature outfit now and it looks great.

Looking forward to see how Violet progresses emotionally because she still has yet to smile.
Jan 17, 2018 7:53 PM

Oct 2014
I'm really liking this so far. Violet seems robotic but I think once she spends enough time with the other Auto Memoir Doll's she'll change. She already learned to type quieter so I'm sure it won't take her long to get the rest.

Great visual storytelling in this episode! It feels like Kyoani knows how little time they have and if they stretch it out too much it could get boring with such a simplistic plot, so they've included so many tiny details. Whether it be a slight expression or the shot panning out to indicate an emotion. There's always something happening and worth looking at. Not just for the visual spectacle.
Jan 17, 2018 7:54 PM
Dec 2016
Dlwuik said:
i did stop watching it.

good then, no need to brag about it
Jan 17, 2018 7:56 PM

Apr 2016
soulgoodguy said:
This is product of kyoani's LN award.....an award full of KYOANI circle jerking!

Well you got that right...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 17, 2018 7:58 PM
Mar 2017
Hibikase said:
sherpico said:

It's funny you say this. I'm in my 30s and tend to hate 'edgy' shows, but to me so far this one seems anything but mature. It wants to be, with its themes of war, suffering, and Love™ but it all comes off like a teenager's unrealistic, overly romanticized conception of those things.
I don't think you really understand what this show is actually about lol. But hey, you do you man.

How so? Based on what we've seen so far, Violet's character is entirely defined by her past suffering and single-minded devotion to the one man who was kind to her. She has stated no desire other than to see the major and to understand what he meant when he said I love you. I'm hoping that will change at some point, but so far her character comes across less as a recognizable human than as a teenager's fantasy of a devoted woman who does nothing but think of them and spout cliched love dialogue 24/7.

All of which is fine if that's what you're into. But let's not pretend it's so much deeper and more mature than the shows that other people enjoy.
Jan 17, 2018 8:10 PM

Dec 2015
soulgoodguy said:

Lol, I accidentally clicked the spoiler tag. Wait so... is it true? Or are you just speculating? Have you read the 2 novels already? I had my speculations in the beginning so I was not so sure. The anime makes it seems that the plot point you are talking about is pretty set in stone, but maybe it may within another condition or context i am not aware of.

But cool.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 17, 2018 8:10 PM

Aug 2016
I do not understand how he could deliver a love letter without reading it first.
And feel the decency to blame Violet.
That's what I do not see the meaning of that scene.
Jan 17, 2018 8:13 PM

Sep 2016
GreenEmu said:
I'm enjoying this show. I see that it's getting a lot of hate, but with a show that was hyped up so much backlash was inevitable.
true that true that
Facta Non Verba
Jan 17, 2018 8:19 PM

Apr 2016
Hibikase said:
soulgoodguy said:

Lol, I accidentally clicked the spoiler tag. Wait so... is it true? Or are you just speculating? Have you read the 2 novels already? I had my speculations in the beginning so I was not so sure. The anime makes it seems that the plot point you are talking about is pretty set in stone, but maybe it may within another condition or context i am not aware of.

But cool.

Jan 17, 2018 8:48 PM
Jan 2018
I have a question about this series, does Violet have romantic feelings for Gilbert?
Jan 17, 2018 8:59 PM

Sep 2010
Loved this episode.
My only two complaints though are that I wished it would have been longer until they started to address whether or not Gilbert is alive because I loved the ambiguity and I wish that Hodgins never said anything after "He..." and the episode title finished his sentence. I personally think that would have been more impactful.
Now, count up your sins!
Jan 17, 2018 9:00 PM

Jan 2008
Didn't notice it before but looking back at episode 1 and 2, it's there too...Benedict's very "high fashionable" choice of footwear, and overall style for that matter. This is one weird alternate universe.
Jan 17, 2018 9:09 PM

Sep 2010
sherpico said:
Hibikase said:
I don't think you really understand what this show is actually about lol. But hey, you do you man.

How so? Based on what we've seen so far, Violet's character is entirely defined by her past suffering and single-minded devotion to the one man who was kind to her. She has stated no desire other than to see the major and to understand what he meant when he said I love you. I'm hoping that will change at some point, but so far her character comes across less as a recognizable human than as a teenager's fantasy of a devoted woman who does nothing but think of them and spout cliched love dialogue 24/7.

All of which is fine if that's what you're into. But let's not pretend it's so much deeper and more mature than the shows that other people enjoy.

The fact that she doesn't come across as a recognizable human is literally the point of her character. The way I see it from what we've seen so far is that this is the story of a woman who lacks humanity and her subsequent journey to become human which is facilitated through her feelings, that she doesn't even realize she has because she doesn't understand it, for a person who was there for her. The way I've been reading everything so far it seems Violet is eventually going to understand emotions and that is going to humanize her.
Now, count up your sins!
Jan 17, 2018 9:09 PM

Apr 2016
AmbitiousApple said:
I have a question about this series, does Violet have romantic feelings for Gilbert?

Her feelings towards Gilbert are debatable. Heck, you might not even call them feelings. It's complete faith in someone who has been always next to her, looking after her. But since she doesn't know the meaning of her feelings, she can't convey them, can she?

However, if you change that question a bit, to "Does Gilbert have romantic feelings for Violet?", than I can give an answer, yes.
Major_GilbertApr 7, 2018 7:27 AM

Jan 17, 2018 9:24 PM
Aug 2017
pretty weak compared to the first episode which gave me a punch in the stomach in the end

I hope it follows the original content again (if it really was an almost original episode as some people have said)
Jan 17, 2018 9:38 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I did kind of laugh a bit of how straightforward Violet was with the letters and her coworkers. But its nice that she's still getting a chance to work at being a ghostwriter as well as getting her brooch back. Decent episode overall.
Jan 17, 2018 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
I am feeling a little spoiled. Between this show and Ancient Magus Bride I cannot remember the last time there were two such fantastic anime in the same season.

OH man what an episode its going to be when Violet finally learns about Gilbert.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 17, 2018 9:44 PM

Nov 2013
Eeeh.. I still giving this anime a benefit of doubt because it still only 2 episodes. But I'm a bit bored.

So is Erica blind? I have an impression because of that typewriter history and when she said she is the one who actually doesn't suitable to the job.
DannyTheDonkeyJan 17, 2018 9:48 PM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 17, 2018 9:57 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode.

I really wanted to see more of Violet and Gilbert's first encounter.

I'm really liking Cattleya as a character.
When Violet put everything the client said in a super straightforward manner, I couldn't help but feel that it was some kind of social commentary.

There was a little focus on Erica and that was pretty nice but I do feel like we needed much more exposition towards her character but I do like how they trying to draw some kind of parallel between the fact that people don't think Violet's suited for the job and how Erica's thinks that she herself is in the same boat.

The brooch part was great. :)
Hodgins is a really nice guy. :(
Jan 17, 2018 9:58 PM
Mar 2017
JD_of_Paradise said:
The fact that she doesn't come across as a recognizable human is literally the point of her character. The way I see it from what we've seen so far is that this is the story of a woman who lacks humanity and her subsequent journey to become human which is facilitated through her feelings, that she doesn't even realize she has because she doesn't understand it, for a person who was there for her. The way I've been reading everything so far it seems Violet is eventually going to understand emotions and that is going to humanize her.

I think a good character, even if they have gone through a lot, should still be recognizably human. Not in the sense that they feel or act the same way that we do, but that we can see their feelings and actions as an understandable result of their experiences and circumstances.

In the case of Violet, I can certainly understand how someone who has suffered as much as she seems to could have trouble understanding normal human emotions, or feel very attached to the person who helped them through that. What doesn't strike me as plausible is the extreme these characteristics are taken to, where the Major is literally the only thing she cares about and she is incapable of understanding any human emotion at all.

I take it that this is supposed to seem romantic, but to me it just feels unrealistic and heavy handed.
Jan 17, 2018 10:09 PM

Oct 2017
Major_Gilbert said:
AmbitiousApple said:

Her feelings towards Gilbert are debatable. Heck, you might not even call them feelings. It's complete faith in someone who has been always next to her, looking after her. But since she doesn't know the meaning if her feelings, she can't convey them, can she?

However, if you change that question a bit, to "Does Gilbert have romantic feelings for Violet?", than I can give an answer, yes.

To me her feeling may be she's treating Gilbert like his guardian/ protector or something.
She's like a lost poppy without him, and that's why she wants to find out what these feeling is about.
Jan 17, 2018 10:09 PM

Nov 2007
Major_Gilbert said:

Her feelings towards Gilbert are debatable. Heck, you might not even call them feelings. It's complete faith in someone who has been always next to her, looking after her. But since she doesn't know the meaning if her feelings, she can't convey them, can she?

Isn't it violets relationship to gilbert a bit similar to the relationship between mikasa and eren? and LOL the irony of violet's seiyuu
Jan 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Oct 2017
sherpico said:
JD_of_Paradise said:

I think a good character, even if they have gone through a lot, should still be recognizably human. Not in the sense that they feel or act the same way that we do, but that we can see their feelings and actions as an understandable result of their experiences and circumstances.

In the case of Violet, I can certainly understand how someone who has suffered as much as she seems to could have trouble understanding normal human emotions, or feel very attached to the person who helped them through that. What doesn't strike me as plausible is the extreme these characteristics are taken to, where the Major is literally the only thing she cares about and she is incapable of understanding any human emotion at all.

I take it that this is supposed to seem romantic, but to me it just feels unrealistic and heavy handed.

I don't think Violet should be treated as regular human anyway because they keep hinting her as "weapon", so she may inherently be different from normal human, thus explain the complete social awkwardness and lack of feeling.

She is more than just a soldier going through PTSD according to the flashback.
I think there's something special about her.
Jan 17, 2018 10:18 PM

Apr 2016
"I couldn't handle calling out a womans name in bed" Yee Boiiiii ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nah he's not dead, of course he isn't ... too much budget and production value was wasted on that characters so he must be alive lol.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, ARE THEY MACHINES OR HUMANS ? I feel like the doll is just term used in this world, nothing more.
Jan 17, 2018 10:54 PM

Aug 2013
I can appreciate slow paced anime but this is boring you know its bad when during both episodes you check the video to see if it's almost over just to see its got over 10 minutes left. Will probably drop this but may give it 1 more episode.

Honestly it's like the anime is trying to force "feels" rather then telling a good story and letting it happen naturally.
Jan 17, 2018 10:55 PM
Jul 2017
The visuals are as beautiful as ever. The characters are kind of boring and i wonder if violet is a human, she doesn't act like a human. This episode was not that good either. I hope it gets better. Not liking it so far.
Jan 17, 2018 11:49 PM

May 2015
Lol at how blunt Violet is. How she wrote the letter and her remarks on the other dolls' letters heavily mirrors Sagara Sousuke in that you gotta take everything literally and objectively! I don't think a woman who has been a weaponized soldier all her life would make a good ghostwriter because she lacks the "feels" to do the job. Well she better start feeling it soon or risk getting fired or sabotaging the company. So she's going to get some "training" from some teachers eh? I can't wait to see how that turns out lol. I kind of wish that this episode took a more comedic approach, and then gradually enter the drama in the later episodes as the story progresses.

Also, finding the Brooch was pretty convenient...

GangsterCat said:

and that ending song's singer sounds absolutely awful btw. remove the vocal and the song might actually be really good.

I don't know what was worse: the song, or the song being played over a monologue. Funny how you mention removing the vocals since it seems the music was composed by Evan Call and Elements Garden, the same composers for Symphogear G and GX. ^_^
TarotistJan 18, 2018 12:18 AM
Jan 17, 2018 11:55 PM
Jan 2018
Still think this show is very overhyped loved the visuals in many of the scenes but the characters seem so lifeless sometimes violet gets a pass because shes meant to be emotionless at the moment but the other characters seem just as lifeless as her sometimes its hard to really tell them apart so far i get why netflix wants to release the eps all at time this might just be an anime thats better binge watched then weekly
Jan 18, 2018 12:00 AM
Sep 2016
I'm realizing people who don't like stuff about this anime have way more valid points than those gushing over it (mostly just cause of the visuals)
1.1.Six
Jan 18, 2018 12:42 AM
Apr 2017
The art and animation is great, but again... the plot is just alright...nothing special, no supposed to be hype as this...
Violet is supposed to be an emotionless war machines while she showed way more emotions than what she supposed to be, just lack of some and don't understand them (I'm ignoring the possibility of raising a human without emotion as we are born with it and we learn them also in every circumstances, even if became weirdo doesn't means emotionless).
My point is she has no FEAR (the most definite born instinct) as shown in the war scene, but she's curious, easily touched, and doesn't seem like always obeying but rebel a lot of time
Jan 18, 2018 12:46 AM

Aug 2013
Tarotist said:
Lol at how blunt Violet is. How she wrote the letter and her remarks on the other dolls' letters heavily mirrors Sagara Sousuke in that you gotta take everything literally and objectively! I don't think a woman who has been a weaponized soldier all her life would make a good ghostwriter because she lacks the "feels" to do the job. Well she better start feeling it soon or risk getting fired or sabotaging the company. So she's going to get some "training" from some teachers eh? I can't wait to see how that turns out lol. I kind of wish that this episode took a more comedic approach, and then gradually enter the drama in the later episodes as the story progresses.

Also, finding the Brooch was pretty convenient...

GangsterCat said:

and that ending song's singer sounds absolutely awful btw. remove the vocal and the song might actually be really good.

I don't know what was worse: the song, or the song being played over a monologue. Funny how you mention removing the vocals since it seems the music was composed by Evan Call and Elements Garden, the same composers for Symphogear G and GX. ^_^

Ah yes, we meet again my comrade in Symphogear arms
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 18, 2018 12:53 AM
Jul 2009
The people saying the anime would be good if it was more faithful to the novel are full of bullshit. Truth is the novel was kinda shit too. Mind you, KyoAni's make it worse, but I think they have right idea with the changes they're doing. They're just fucking up the execution.
Jan 18, 2018 1:06 AM
Oct 2017
This is my first posting and I don't mean to be negative, but I just hate overall how Kyoto Animation structures their shows and write their characters. There's not a single Kyoto Animation show that I have enjoyed.

I am trying really hard to like this show, but we already knew the Major was dead from the first episode. The directing wasn't even subtle. Violet is as dull as dishwater. This show could work with better execution, but I find myself bored to tears with the second episode.

The setting looks interesting and I hope they explore it better. We have World War I weaponry and streets cars and automobiles. but steampunk killer machine girls. The names are English with a mix of German but numbers that I can't recognise at the bottom of the keyboards. People are eating Japanese food with chopsticks while drinking out of European-style teacups.

I hope the show fleshes out the history, the nations and the culture, because the first two episodes come off as a hodgepodge of ideas. I know this is an adaptation, but a good director and writer should be able to convey this in some way to the audience.
mlubczykJan 19, 2018 12:46 AM
Jan 18, 2018 1:09 AM

May 2017
i dont care what anybody says about this show .. i love it so far
Jan 18, 2018 1:21 AM

Nov 2007
Not as good as the pilot episode but it gave us more idea of the setting of the world and how the dolls came to be. I like the two girls who got introduced in this episode even though I am reading that they are filler characters.

Nothing much to add but I am looking forward to know what actually happened to Gilbert. It is strongly implied that he's dead but it could be something else. Unless they tell me that he's dead, I will cling onto the brooch like Violet and think that he's still amongst the living.

Hibikase said:
But doesn't reading and writing come hand in hand? If you can read, you can write, and vice versa.

You do have a valid point but it's not always the case. Hey, I myself for an example of someone who can read a couple of languages (one of them is Japanese, I would say I can read basic Japanese, around 500 kanji) but cannot write them (including some hiragana, the shapes are all over the place when I want to write them even though I know how they look like). Because I was never taught the stroke orders and the proportion of sizes nor did I learn them myself.

Violet Evergarden is actually a well thought out production so far.

I dunno how much is covered in the novel regarding the world but KyoAni already set the foundation of the world it is taking place in.

Lack of education happens in a post war era when the war was prolonged, that went on for like years so the public wouldn't have access to even basic education due to lack of infrastructure even after the war had ended. WWI and WWII are examples where the mainland of Europe and Eastern Europe had a demise in basic education. Also, we know that the technologies usually take giant leap during wars. WWI and WWII instigated some of the most amazing (originally developed for military purposes) technologies, byproducts of which also boomed industrialization during the post war era. An example would be the research and development of FETs that changed the whole civilization in the next 70 years to this date. This can be related to both the automobile industry that got mentioned in this episode through a woman who received Violet's ridiculously straightforward letter and the prosthetic hands that Violet has.

We have to understand that THEY are in a world that is similar to ours but not exactly the one we are living in. At least this should come across to fans given the way it is shown that the world is a mix of different cultures. Notice how Benedict is effortlessly using chopsticks to eat "Yakisoba" in a post war pseudo European setting. Sounds trivial, but it was shown intentionally, which is called visual story telling. It's a world where they use a language that is different from ours. The characters are a mix of different symbols and existing ones we find in different languages seen in the typewriter. "F" and "J" are mentioned but they don't even exist on the typewriter Violet was using. We will also notice the story also contains both Japanese and English honorifics when people are addressed.

If someone pays close attention to small details, it is actually a very well thought out writing. No one ever asked how and why Edward's hand or leg moved in FMA but people are trying to nitpick on almost anything in this one because they are too preoccupied with the idea that this story is taking place in OUR world when it clearly isn't. I will reiterate. THEY are in a world that is similar to ours but not exactly the one we are living in.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 18, 2018 1:46 AM

Jan 2014
watching Violet is like watching Saber without common sense.

and as I suspected, the major is already dead.
Jan 18, 2018 1:48 AM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed this episode a bit more than the first and while it felt like it didn't add much besides delving more into the setting, the characters appeared to be more livelier and it really sold me on Violet, who may very well make it to waifu of the season.
mc093Jan 18, 2018 1:52 AM
Jan 18, 2018 1:52 AM

Nov 2007
Dillan- said:
who may very well make it to waifu of the season.

One would rather have a waifu like Zero Two in Darling in the FranXX over someone who doesn't even know what love is. :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 18, 2018 2:02 AM
Oct 2015
Not too sure how much their budget is but at this rate I got a bad feeling, that the quality of the art is going to depreciate.
Heckle was here...
Jan 18, 2018 2:06 AM
Nov 2017
moaml_salm said:
It was shit.
And I'm sick of the garbage-tier filter
Door's that way, kid. Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.
Jan 18, 2018 2:25 AM
Jul 2009
shanimebib said:
Dillan- said:
who may very well make it to waifu of the season.

One would rather have a waifu like Zero Two in Darling in the FranXX over someone who doesn't even know what love is. :D

I'd be more worried about the fact she doesn't give a fuck about anyone but Gilbert. She's pretty much a sociopath.
Jan 18, 2018 2:42 AM

Mar 2014
Sacerdotisa said:
I do not understand how he could deliver a love letter without reading it first.
And feel the decency to blame Violet.
That's what I do not see the meaning of that scene.

I partly agree with you on that scene. As there was another "doll" around I cannot imagine that the other one at least would take a look at the finished letter. Same goes for the client. Wouldn't the client at least want that the letter would be read out loud for them, before sending it away to her love interest?

I wonder if Erica actually felt bad for it because she knew that she should have done it instead of Violet. As she is longer in the business, it would have been her obligation to sift through the written letter or to observe Violet while she's writing it.

As it goes for Cattleya, I wonder if she will be able to turn these happenings around. As I think that this story will be told in a partly episodic way, it would be nice, if we were to seen the female client at a later point with her loved one - even if it might be only for a short moment. But actually, I'm not sure, if we will see this client ever again, because of the storytelling aspects of this show.

Anyway, for the rest of this episode, I REALLY liked it. I also liked the background music, even the ending song of this episode. That's because I kinda imagined the feelings of Erica to be reflected and the voice, which was depicted there, kinda suited Erica and the situation of her.

Swagernator said:
"I couldn't handle calling out a womans name in bed" Yee Boiiiii ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nah he's not dead, of course he isn't ... too much budget and production value was wasted on that characters so he must be alive lol.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, ARE THEY MACHINES OR HUMANS ? I feel like the doll is just term used in this world, nothing more.

Hahaha, yeah. Cattleya is such a lovely and funny character, I already like her a lot. I think she'll play an important part on how to break the "ice" of Violet to get her to understand what all these feeling are about, which are slumbering not understood way too long inside of her. Heeeey Booiya! x3

As it is told at the end of the episode, I strongly believe that the dolls are human, yes. They even told us how this name for the ghostwriting profession came to be. Although, I wasn't sure at first about Violet, but the scene when she changed cleared these doubtes for me. (We were able to see her scars on the body.) I imagine her being raised as a "tool" like it actually does happen in our real world with kid soldiers who were kidnapped from their families previously. Somehow it also reminds me on the Canaan anime, which has been one of my favorites. It is also set in a background, inwhich war and battles take an important role, though it is more of an action anime than Slice of Life. About confronting yourself with the past which lies behind you.

As it is for now, I don't mind, if it is going a bit in the slice of life direction, I think there will come some cruel moments filled wih sadness and probably also not that pleasing to the eye as the current visuals are. Don't get me in the wrong way, I still think the animation will be on a high quality level, but more with flashbacks from the time during the battles. I also thin that the little comedic aspects lighten the show a bit, which might be welcomed by the dark topic of the background story.

JD_of_Paradise said:
sherpico said:

@JD_of_Paradise Well decribed. I see it kinda similar, but probably weren't able to depict it that beautifully and get to the point that straight. :3 Thank you.

Top_Sergeant said:
I am feeling a little spoiled. Between this show and Ancient Magus Bride I cannot remember the last time there were two such fantastic anime in the same season.

OH man what an episode its going to be when Violet finally learns about Gilbert.

Hahaha, me too! xD I am so curious about the upcoming developments! (In both series. ;) )

Last but not least, I don't think that the major is dead. Someone must have paid for violets healing costs, but also for her artificial limbs. They seem to be of high quality. Must have been cost a fortune if I try to imagine it in this setting. Well, maybe because she probably had an important role in the war... Who knows.

I'm also kinda interested in the background story of violet and her origins.
FlueckliJan 18, 2018 4:36 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2018 3:19 AM
Nov 2015
billybub said:
moaml_salm said:
It was shit.
And I'm sick of the garbage-tier filter

Well stop watching it and go back to Naruto

>Blah blah naruto

Both naruto and violet are garbage
Jan 18, 2018 3:21 AM
Sep 2015
My feeling in this ep just like My waifu's husband is dead.
Jan 18, 2018 3:23 AM
Nov 2015
Ventus_S said:
I finished 2 episodes already and I know why the rage of so many people.

This show is clearly not for edgy teenagers who only likes power fantasy, yet people over-hyped it as if all the anime community should watch it. Mal score pretty much reflects the average age group of audience in Mal.

I personally LOVE this show and how detail the characters emotion and interaction is, but I can understand why edgy teenagers can't take this kind of slow and steady work of art and literature. To me this show character portrayed is much better than Ancient Magus Bride.

PS: People thought Violet is a dick, but this is EXACTLY THE POINT.
If she suddenly acts like a sympathetic human being despite being called a weapon and just recently retired from battle-field, then I would say Violet character portray is a failure.
So far I think they did a very good job showing the awkwardness of Violet's reaction and attitude.

>but I can understand why edgy teenagers can't take this kind of slow and steady work of art and literature.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand violet evergarden
Jan 18, 2018 3:27 AM
Oct 2016
sherpico said:
Ventus_S said:
Honestly this anime should have been a niche genre like Rakuga, but people overhyped it and all the edgy teenagers caught in the hype train and watch something that's inherently not interesting for them.

It's funny you say this. I'm in my 30s and tend to hate 'edgy' shows, but to me so far this one seems anything but mature. It wants to be, with its themes of war, suffering, and Love™ but it all comes off like a teenager's unrealistic, overly romanticized conception of those things.

This^^^. Absolutely agree with you.
Jan 18, 2018 3:28 AM

Dec 2016
Another visually amazing episode and also having just noticed the soundtrack, it's pretty fucking solid too
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Sep 18, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

370 by Perrys_Galaxy »»
Sep 10, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.