Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 29, 2017 10:34 AM
Oct 2016
I've seen most animes around. Around 100 and something, but I've never given Ghost in the Shell a try. I know a lot of people who love it and i really like the Psycho-Pass kind of vibe it gives off but the only thing turning me off is the animation quality since its from 1995. Is it worth looking past the quality and into the story?
Sep 29, 2017 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
You've seen most "animes" around? Then you probably already have your answer.
Sep 29, 2017 10:40 AM

Apr 2012
Did you know that that movie has better animation that anything that comes out now?
Sep 29, 2017 10:41 AM

Nov 2014
Tatsuya1337 said:
I've seen most animes around. Around 100 and something
Oh honey, there are thousands of series for you to watch, you aren't even close to the end.

Anyways, if you are having concerns about the age and aren't into the 90s aestetic, you might wanna try Stand Alone Complex. Its from 2002 and a decent amount of people say its on par if not better than the movie. Haven't seen it myself so I'm not positive, but this seems more along the lines of what you are looking for.
Sep 29, 2017 10:44 AM
Oct 2016
abhutrash said:
Tatsuya1337 said:
Oh honey, there are thousands of series for you to watch, you aren't even close to the end.

Anyways, if you are having concerns about the age and aren't into the 90s aestetic, you might wanna try Stand Alone Complex. Its from 2002 and a decent amount of people say its on par if not better than the movie. Haven't seen it myself so I'm not positive, but this seems more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Ik there are a lot of animes around, but i meant most of the mainstream ones. So does Stand Alone Complex follow the original storyline or is it a season 2 or what exactly?
Sep 29, 2017 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
abhutrash said:
Its from 2002 and a decent amount of people say its on par if not better than the movie.

It is definitely good too. But the two aren't comparable at all, since the movie is a philosophical movie, very atmospheric (simple plot) and calm, slow.
While the series is a police story (complex plot), with a good amount of action and is character-driven. It is also more "hard sci-fi" than the movie.

And yeah, the animation quality of the movie is excellent in comparison to most TV series that are broadcasted nowadays.
Sep 29, 2017 10:46 AM

Apr 2017
Yes, definitely. But I think Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone Complex is way better. It's from 2002 and it has 2 seasons x26 episodes.
Sep 29, 2017 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Tatsuya1337 said:
Ik there are a lot of animes around, but i meant most of the mainstream ones. So does Stand Alone Complex follow the original storyline or is it a season 2 or what exactly?

Ghost in the Shell is a cult classic known far outside the anime-fandom, this is the real "mainstream", unlike most stuffs that you watched.

But to answer your question, no, the series is unrelated to the movie, the two are in parallel universes. So same characters, but things are somewhat different and the plots of the two are 100% unrelated.
Sep 29, 2017 10:49 AM

Aug 2016
Tatsuya1337 said:
abhutrash said:

Stand Alone Complex is an alternative storyline (and takes place at a different time IIRC) than the 1995 movie version. If you can't get enough of the cyberpunk theme, I strongly advise watching SAC. It also has great visuals for its time (2002). Has episodic feel to it with an overarching plot.
Sep 29, 2017 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
I only watched the first movie but you should definitely give it a try. The setting and the atmosphere are awesome. Watch it at night without lights on and with headphones if possible. *_*
Sep 29, 2017 10:54 AM
Jul 2009
The 1995 GitS is a movie and it's gorgeous. You wouldn't be subjected to mid-90s budget tv animation. The writing is very subtle and potentially confusing if you aren't used to speculative fiction, but even if you don't understand it the movie is a great watch.

Stand Alone Complex from the early 2000s is the tv show and it's also gorgeous and brilliant.

Watch the movie and if you want more stories in that world, try the show too.
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Sep 29, 2017 10:58 AM

Feb 2015
Yes, Ghost In The Shell is worth it.

Watch the original 1995 movie if you're looking for a great story that covers philosophical themes such as existentialism and dualism to a surprisingly detailed extent.

Or watch Stand Alone Complex if you just want a great mystery series.
I'd say SAC is more suitable for the general audience, nowadays the people that would appreciate the original really fall in the obscure... which is a shame since it's fantastic.

Ignore the new ARISE series.

Just to mention this.
GITS is separated in 3 different universes, you don't need to watch one to understand another.

They are as follow :

Original Universe -
Ghost In The Shell (1995)
Innocence (2004) (Innocence was labelled as Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence to help it's marketing, but it's really supposed to be it's own story, it just takes place in the same universe and after the events of the first movie, the deuteragonist of GITS is the protagonist here. It does help you appreciate it more if you've seen the first one though).

Stand Alone Complex Universe -
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2002)
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (2004)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (2006)

Arise universe -
Don't bother with it, it's bad.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Sep 29, 2017 10:58 AM

Nov 2014
lady_freyja said:
abhutrash said:
Its from 2002 and a decent amount of people say its on par if not better than the movie.

It is definitely good too. But the two aren't comparable at all, since the movie is a philosophical movie, very atmospheric (simple plot) and calm, slow.
While the series is a police story (complex plot), with a good amount of action and is character-driven. It is also more "hard sci-fi" than the movie.
Yeah, I get that, but judging by the original post and this guy's anime list, Stand Alone Complex's police story and hard sci-fi edge seem like something much more up his alley. And yeah, don't mean to compare them like that, just saying if he wants an introduction to the franchise, he should probably start there instead of jumping into a movie much less suited to his tastes.
Sep 29, 2017 11:03 AM

Sep 2012
Well you can try to find that out via watching...
Sep 29, 2017 11:05 AM

Feb 2016
Tatsuya1337 said:
but the only thing turning me off is the animation quality since its from 1995

The animation for GiTS is incredible despite being a 1995 movie.... and it's not like Psycho Pass at all, in the sense that PP sucks.

--

@Rei366 Yup, i'm well aware of that. I'm okay with older things like KazeKi, but OP seems to be quite picky with "old" stuff, so i thought that saying this would put him at ease.
llorandoSep 29, 2017 11:39 AM
Sep 29, 2017 11:30 AM

Dec 2015

@Tatsuya1337 No animated Ghost in the Shell follows "the original storyline". Though, the movie follows the global intrigue of a couple of chapters of the manga. Just one case among others (the manga was a police investigations short series set in a futuristic world).
The series opted to be like how the manga began n the opposite: a series of (police) cases involving the effects of technology.

Tatsuya1337 said:
the only thing turning me off is the animation quality since its from 1995. Is it worth looking past the quality and into the story?

You might want to check your eyesight, this movie has "animation quality" written all over it.
Also, you probably won't enjoy it for story alone, the story took in the manga was merely an excuse for the director to make his thing.
iscum said:
The animation for GiTS is incredible despite being a 1995 movie....

But... it's rather "thanks to it being a movie". Why would a theatrical release be badly animated in 95 particularly, especially after all the animatin wonders of the 80s theater anime boom?

edit @iscum Thank you, I now know what I am watching for today's movie evening! More Yasuhiko right after The Origin OAV5.
Rei_IIISep 29, 2017 11:41 AM
Sep 29, 2017 11:41 AM

Apr 2017
The 1995 movie is amazing, but I dropped the Stand Alone series or whatever it's called because it was nothing like the movie and the quality was just a hell of a lot worse.

By the way, if you turn down movies or series because they are from the 90s or 80s you will miss many masterpieces...
Sep 29, 2017 11:47 AM

Sep 2016
I haven't watched the Stand Alone Complex series, but the 1995 movie is overrated. The setting is great and the philosophy is somewhat interesting, but aside from that, it's mediocre. There are no interesting characters, there is zero character development and the plot is nothing special.

iscum said:
Tatsuya1337 said:
but the only thing turning me off is the animation quality since its from 1995

The animation for GiTS is incredible despite being a 1995 movie, but it's not like Psycho Pass at all... in the sense that GiTS sucks.

Fixed that for you.

Sep 29, 2017 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
lmao@assuming 1995 = bad animation

i havent watched it but since it's a movie, it's a safe bet it has animation better than most tv series
besides i see it's on the shorter side at just ~80 mins; you wont die even if was like JK meshi animation
Sep 29, 2017 12:16 PM

Feb 2016
Apoc_Revolution said:
I haven't watched the Stand Alone Complex series, but the 1995 movie is overrated. The setting is great and the philosophy is somewhat interesting, but aside from that, it's mediocre. There are no interesting characters, there is zero character development and the plot is nothing special.

It's a reflexive work rather than a character/plot driven movie, but i think you didn't get that part?
Sep 29, 2017 12:55 PM

Sep 2016
iscum said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

It's a reflexive work rather than a character/plot driven movie, but i think you didn't get that part?

No, I do get it. I just find the lack of plot and characterisation inexcusible, even for a movie like this, and that is exactly why I think it's a mediocre anime.

Sep 29, 2017 12:59 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

The film is nice if you can pick up on the philosophical/religious references, but it's otherwise a futuristic police vs. terrorist story with nice art and animation. I liked it for its talks on the implications of cybernetics, but you may enjoy it for other reasons. However, if you're more used to modern-day aesthetics, it may turn you off, I dunno.
Oct 22, 2017 1:56 PM

Oct 2014
This movie is a classic, a must watch almost for anyone, but you have to watch it paying attention to many details to understand it at it's deepest levels, as stated above, so, in the first watch you get an action sci-fi movie, but the more times you watch it, it the more nuances it gets. You could even argue that Psycho Pass wouldn't even exist without the GitS legacy.
Feb 7, 2018 4:06 PM
Nov 2016
Tatsuya1337 said:

that's an insult to the anime industry who work hard everyday to put out their best material for us to watch.
Apr 3, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2019

Hello, Does someone know in wich episode(s) we see this song ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ow4tGgZWk

Thanx a lot.
Apr 3, 2019 12:58 PM

Oct 2009
Bogard087 said:

Thanx a lot.

It's only in 2nd Gig.

Episodes 9, 20, 23 and 26. Think that's all of them.
Apr 3, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2019
TopgunUK said:
Bogard087 said:

Thanx a lot.

It's only in 2nd Gig.

Episodes 9, 20, 23 and 26. Think that's all of them.

Thanx a lot TopgunUK.
Nov 13, 2022 5:22 PM
Mar 2021
Not really, Stand Alone Complex wasn't that good. Really the movies are the only things worth watching and be careful

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

168 by HansDevX »»
May 3, 12:05 PM

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 23

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:08 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.