Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Streaming Platform HIDIVE Begins Beta Service

New
Jun 20, 2017 1:29 PM

Jul 2009

English-language anime streaming content platform HIDIVE has opened for beta testing in partnership with U.S. licensing company Sentai Filmworks.

HIDIVE launched on Tuesday with Sentai Filmworks titles including Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, which was licensed in 2015 as Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Four episodes of the OVA series are currently available, with new episodes being added on Thursdays beginning June 22.

HIDIVE allows new users to access part of its catalog for free. In order to continue accessing content, users must subscribe for a fee of US$3.99 per month. In a press release, HIDIVE states that its HD player allows members to stream content with customizable subtitles (available in white and yellow colors) and the ability to control video quality and audio language options.

According to initial user reports, HIDIVE's catalog shares the same region restrictions as Sentai Filmworks titles. Content are generally available in the United States, Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Scandinavia, Turkey, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Other regions may see a much smaller selection of titles or none at all.

Official site: https://www.hidive.com/

Source: The Fandom Post
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jun 20, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2014
it's available in Turkey? Awesome! Maybe I can buy subscription now.
Jun 20, 2017 1:43 PM

Aug 2016
Huh, pretty cool. That's quite the competitive subscription price, though they're going to offer an equally (if not more) competitive library and stream quality if they want to challenge places like Crunchyroll.
Jun 20, 2017 1:44 PM
Aug 2016
this will rise the tension of the competetion between anime streaming sites even more. Well at least this new service seems better than Amazon's Anime Strike.
Jun 20, 2017 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
Oh, I guess this looks nice since it'll branch on and expanding more available anime for people in the case, at least from what I'm seeing at least.
Jun 20, 2017 2:20 PM

Jul 2009
Drachen said:
That's quite the competitive subscription price, though they're going to offer an equally (if not more) competitive library and stream quality if they want to challenge places like Crunchyroll.

The press release does not mention this, but according to HIDIVE's Twitter account, US$3.99 is a promotional price. It's not known at this point what a non-promotional subscription would be priced at.
Jun 20, 2017 2:22 PM

Apr 2016
Don't even go to try if it is available in my country lol.
Jun 20, 2017 2:39 PM

Jan 2009
this legal streaming sites should all join forces to make 1 giant aggregate legal streaming site
Jun 20, 2017 3:09 PM

Feb 2013
403 forbidden, nice
Jun 20, 2017 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
Thanks for recommending me a site I'll never use and that gives me a "403 Forbidden" error whenever I try to access it
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Oct 2014
I keep getting bad gateway errors. Great
Jun 20, 2017 3:22 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Keep in mind that it's in beta access and that the site is probably not going to be available until it goes into an alpha phase or open-access official release. So of course you won't be able to goto the website yet.
Jun 20, 2017 3:58 PM
May 2015
Ok....Isn't Sentai Filmworks already affiliated with Amazon? Good for them, I guess. Though, that means more competition which is the last thing this industry needs.

j0x said:
this legal streaming sites should all join forces to make 1 giant aggregate legal streaming site
Which means a monoply...meaning no competition..meaning angry producers at Japan...meaning angry investors.

I'd love for all of the companies to band together too but it's sadly not going to happen.
jc9622Jun 20, 2017 4:01 PM

Jun 20, 2017 4:04 PM

Jul 2014
lol limited catalog, why even bother...
Jun 20, 2017 4:55 PM

Jul 2009
Ame said:
Keep in mind that it's in beta access and that the site is probably not going to be available until it goes into an alpha phase or open-access official release. So of course you won't be able to goto the website yet.

The website is inaccessible due to high traffic, not because it is in beta.
Jun 20, 2017 5:35 PM

Apr 2016
Is it just me or is the HiDive link not working?
Jun 20, 2017 5:47 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
arsonal said:
Ame said:

The website is inaccessible due to high traffic, not because it is in beta.

I don't think it's regular traffic then.
Jun 20, 2017 5:53 PM

Sep 2012
Ame said:

That is not how stages work. Just saying.

OT: Competition is always welcome.
Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Apr 2016
It says that premium members get access to dubs, does anyone know if there is a way to watch the same shows but subbed as a free user?
Jun 20, 2017 7:16 PM

Apr 2014
Eh? Another shitty Legal streaming site? And worst of all region locking was implemented too.
They should really stop that shit, they should just make something like iTunes. (WEB-DL)
Who saw their web player? Are their subtitles like Crunchyroll (.ass) or just like FUNimation?
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 20, 2017 8:07 PM

Sep 2011
In partnership with U.S. licensing company Sentai Filmworks

L M A O. If the subs are going to come directly from them, then they're already a failed service. Sentai has some of the worst subs out there in terms of translations.
Jun 20, 2017 8:37 PM

Apr 2014
FFS more fragmentation in the market

these idiots make me just want to give up trying to support them and just pirate like I used to.
Jun 20, 2017 9:43 PM

Apr 2015
Pros of the site:

-For some reason I'm not getting ads as a free user right now? A'ight cool
-Legend of the Galactic Heroes is now legally available
-Some shows uncensored for the first time for free legally
-The layout is certainly better than The Anime Network
-Better than Anime Strike in that it actually has a free option
-More reasonable premium price

Cons of the site:

-Why can't Sentai just put their shit on Crunchyroll why do there need to be so many different subscriptions
-Offering the first few episodes of dubs for free like Funimation does would be cool
-Why do I have to have a premium subscription to add a show to my favorites list?
-Putting Seikon no Qwaser in an LGBT category is misleading. There might've been some yuri in there, but the focus is on straight male sexuality and showing off as many tits to a straight male audience as possible.
-You can't exactly offer a Parental Controls option when you're claiming that To Love-Ru's wall-to-wall titties have the same age rating as K-On! and other shows that are in the "Kids & Family" section.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 20, 2017 10:29 PM
Mar 2010
Saw it, looks slick, but as usual, it is not available for my country so no go.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jun 21, 2017 1:41 AM

Jul 2014
Still waiting for a messiah in legal distribution, and this ain't ever gonna be it.

>Instead of this small portion of anime, how about you make it every anime ever.

>Instead of paying to stream a whole catalogue of which you may only care about 2%, how about you... Pay for the thing you want... And download that thing... To be consumed whenever you want for all foreseeable future... You know, the model that has Steam sell people 300 games per year of which only 5% will get played before the user dies of old age. Win/ win. Literally nobody loses.

>Instead of region-blocking, how about growing the hell up and realize that shit's never worked for any form of digital entertainment, nor will it ever.

Maybe spend less on trying to sue people for trying to fix the industry you are part in ruining. And more on management with ideas and vision, and the balls to slam boardroom tables in Japan with actual demands for the industry to come together and PROVIDE. SOLUTIONS.

jc9622 said:
j0x said:
Which means a monoply...meaning no competition..

Yeah because gamers sure are oppressed under Steam's monopoly. The reason Steam is so big is because it has nearly everything. Look at uPlay, Origin, BattleNET, GOG - all owned by game publishers - all irrelevant in the grand scope of things. And yet, the big service is nearly the best (GOG is better) and all the "challengers" are dogshit. Anime needs a Steam. And obviously not Steam itself, as not even Valve has realized that streaming as a whole is an idiotic business model for gullible sheep.
Red_TuesdayJun 21, 2017 1:47 AM
Jun 21, 2017 4:33 AM

Oct 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
Still waiting for a messiah in legal distribution, and this ain't ever gonna be it.

>Instead of this small portion of anime, how about you make it every anime ever.

>Instead of paying to stream a whole catalogue of which you may only care about 2%, how about you... Pay for the thing you want... And download that thing... To be consumed whenever you want for all foreseeable future... You know, the model that has Steam sell people 300 games per year of which only 5% will get played before the user dies of old age. Win/ win. Literally nobody loses.

>Instead of region-blocking, how about growing the hell up and realize that shit's never worked for any form of digital entertainment, nor will it ever.

Maybe spend less on trying to sue people for trying to fix the industry you are part in ruining. And more on management with ideas and vision, and the balls to slam boardroom tables in Japan with actual demands for the industry to come together and PROVIDE. SOLUTIONS.

jc9622 said:
Which means a monoply...meaning no competition..

Yeah because gamers sure are oppressed under Steam's monopoly. The reason Steam is so big is because it has nearly everything. Look at uPlay, Origin, BattleNET, GOG - all owned by game publishers - all irrelevant in the grand scope of things. And yet, the big service is nearly the best (GOG is better) and all the "challengers" are dogshit. Anime needs a Steam. And obviously not Steam itself, as not even Valve has realized that streaming as a whole is an idiotic business model for gullible sheep.

It's extremely unreasonable to think that all anime would be available from a single service. It will never happen, likely for the same reason game publishers are creating their own game clients / distribution services. They don't want to share their revenue with another company (Valve). I don't know if the comparison to Steam/etc is valid because the business model of streaming is very different from that of buying. Also your idea of a store to buy digital copies of anime is not possible either. It's not like they'll just let you download the .mp4's, they would have to be wrapped in DRM. (Though I'm all for digital downloads and no region blocking)
Jun 21, 2017 5:47 AM

Oct 2015
*THIS CONTENT IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION*

and thats where our journey ended..., srsly they need to stop put this region blocks if they want more ppl to watch legaly anime cuz i have no intention on paying for some service when ill only be able to watch 5 anime out of 30 for example....
Jun 21, 2017 6:12 AM

Jan 2013
That's not a totally creepy logo that doesn't turn me off of their services.... not
Jun 21, 2017 9:12 AM

Feb 2015
HIDIVE allows new users to access part of its catalog for free. In order to continue accessing content, users must subscribe for a fee of US$3.99 per month

How long is the free subscription? 30 days like CR?

j0x said:

I'm sure this is one of the problems that Phi is facing... When I think back, the price of gas in almost every gas stops are the same or less than/greater than a cent.

There's no competition, which is vital for consumers...
Jun 21, 2017 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
How do they expect us Europeans to stop pirating if they offer us jack shit?
We either get nothing or half-assed content on crunchyroll or something.
"We're offering you 10% of what MURRIKA gets for XXX €, isn't that a great deal?"
It's not.
Jun 21, 2017 2:21 PM

Jun 2014
Sure is nice to see Europe get ignored, like it always is. Well, good thing torrents exist.
:3
Jun 21, 2017 2:37 PM

Sep 2016
arsonal said:
Drachen said:
That's quite the competitive subscription price, though they're going to offer an equally (if not more) competitive library and stream quality if they want to challenge places like Crunchyroll.

The press release does not mention this, but according to HIDIVE's Twitter account, US$3.99 is a promotional price. It's not known at this point what a non-promotional subscription would be priced at.

I believe the Anime Network was priced at around $6.95 a month, so I wouldn't be surprised if HIDIVE is priced similarly.
Jun 21, 2017 6:18 PM
Apr 2017
Is it available in my country India guys ?
Jun 21, 2017 7:18 PM

Sep 2012
Got an email from TAN where I am... err, soon to be was a subscriber:

...Anime Network Online will cease streaming content at www.theanimenetwork.com effective August 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM CT.

Is that your sad face?

Never fear-- our friends and family at HIDIVE.com are taking up the torch so you won’t miss a thing...
Jun 21, 2017 8:12 PM

Jul 2014
Skyrocketing said:
Red_Tuesday said:

It's extremely unreasonable blah blah

It's unreasonable, sure. Ambitious, yes. And that's what they need to do. The distributors and licensors all have to cooperate to create a singular service that has everything, in all possible ways it can be imagined that someone wants to consume it.

That's how you earn money on digital entertainment. Emphasis on earn.

There are enough studies by now to prove that piracy of digital entertainment is a distribution problem, nothing else. Make it convenient enough for people to give you money and consume it the way they want to consume it, and the remaining pirates are going to be only people who couldn't afford it in the first place.
Red_TuesdayJun 21, 2017 8:15 PM
Jun 21, 2017 8:19 PM
May 2016
SWEET JESUS
AFTER ALL THESE LONG YEARS
Jan 17, 2019 1:39 PM
Aug 2018
The anime catalogue is absolutely shit in EU region!

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

5 by Thanatos1 »»
49 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
2 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
6 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.