Forum Settings
Forums

Is it better to have a less popular character as an avatar?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 29, 2017 3:17 PM

Dec 2015
I usually pay more attention to their signatures than their avatars, but if they caught my interest..then I try to remember them by their username. Although there are some avatars that annoys me, that doesn't mean I am also annoyed with the user or won't talk to them.
Mar 29, 2017 3:38 PM

May 2015
If they're using a commonly popular character, maybe it's because they're either new to anime and don't know other characters to use, it's a favorite character of theirs in their respective anime, or they simply like the character's design. Anyone can use any avatar they want. They have their reasons and I have mine. I pay more attention to usernames rather than avatars anyway. You can copy another person's avatar, but on MAL, you can't copy their usernames.

Speaking of avatars, since it's almost the end of the month, I'll be changing my avatar again as I do at the end of every month. It's not that I don't like my avatar, I just like changing up a bit to keep things fresh. It's like adding a new coat of paint to a wall.
Mar 29, 2017 3:39 PM

Aug 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
it definitely shows individuality when you use a character no one else does, i mean i was pretty easily recognized as the Mai-Senpai guy and im also associated with Keijo, but thats not ONLY cause of the images

idk how many people know Ai-chan

theres a few other people who i associate with the character in their avi

with your shit taste i wonder why they think that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2017 3:45 PM

Sep 2016
yes because I need to spread the word
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 29, 2017 4:09 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
deadright said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
it definitely shows individuality when you use a character no one else does, i mean i was pretty easily recognized as the Mai-Senpai guy and im also associated with Keijo, but thats not ONLY cause of the images

with your shit taste i wonder why they think that

if you don't get your shitty elitist ass outta here

you say "i wonder why they think that" as if its something negative
Mar 29, 2017 4:32 PM

Oct 2015
CatSoul said:
My avatar's less popular, but she shouldn't be. Tsuyu is the best girl in MHA.

Who ? What ? I pretty much always wonder when I see it.

In any way, your's is a good example of an effective avatar - I immediately recognise the next post is yours, when still reading the post above yours.
------------------------

One thing I sometimes wonder but have never come to anywhere near a conclusion is : is there a connection between animated avatars of characters eating, and the personalities of those users ?
Maybe it is just because selective perception on my side, but I am positively biased towards them users.

-------------
as much as I love Cowboy Bebop - it is referenced 4 times in my favourites :D - I agree that there are some pricks among those with Spike Spiegel avatars: preachy, dogmatic, high-horse-y with nothing to base that attitude upon, ... .
But there is also a good number of obviously nice, relaxed, cool folks with such avatars. And a reviewer I read ...

If someone uses an avatar of Spike where he looks somewhat dumb or such (eg. when eating :) ), then I am pretty sure it is a user not taking themselves too seriously.
BannoBunka_snorkMar 29, 2017 4:42 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Mar 29, 2017 4:36 PM

Aug 2007
I just create avatars and sigs based off of things I'm currently enjoying or just like in general. They're not always more obscure series as well; LWA, for example, isn't exactly an obscure cult hit thanks to the tv series.

Although I do appreciate seeing more unique anime avatars/sigs and not just some low resolution pic of kirito or a character from monogatari.

BannoBunka_snork said:

as much as I love Cowboy Bebop - it is referenced 4 times in my favourites :D - I agree that there are some pricks among those with Spike Spiegel avatars: preachy, dogmatic, high-horse-y with nothing to base that attitude upon, ... .
But there is also a good number of obviously nice, relaxed, cool folks with such avatars. And a reviewer I read ...

If someone uses an avatar of Spike where he looks somewhat dumb or such (eg. when eating :) ), then I am pretty sure it is a user not taking themselves too seriously.

I really have no idea where this apparent phenomenon came from. I've yet to see many users with Spike avatars acting like douchebags.
HiasMar 29, 2017 4:44 PM

Mar 29, 2017 5:07 PM

Jun 2015
I personally dont mind if people use the same character to represent themselves (shocker, I'm using Asuna LOL) but I do see where you're coming from!
Mar 29, 2017 5:17 PM

Dec 2016
I always imagine the person posting to be his or her avatar and I barely ever pay attention to usernames... It's not intentional, but I just do it for some reason. Whether the character is popular or not makes no difference to me.

What's the difference?
Mar 29, 2017 5:39 PM

Nov 2014
I don't think it matters I mean I've had the same avatar for what.. two years now? Nobody knows who I am as far as I know because I tend to come and go randomly. I'm always here but I'll only post like 50 times in one day per month. If you're always active and interesting it doesn't matter what your avatar is because people will notice and remember you either way.
Mar 29, 2017 5:48 PM

Aug 2016
I can see why it would be confusing if people were using the same characters as avatars. I have come to associate certain members by their profile pic, and seeing others with a similar/same picture can make me falter for a second.

But honestly I think people should be able to use who they want. Whether the character is a popular one or not, that person must have liked them enough to put them as their avatar.
Mar 29, 2017 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
I usually tend to change my avatar (actual profile or forum) at random so... not really, mostly.
Mar 29, 2017 5:57 PM

Nov 2009
Personally I choose an avatar based on how I'd like to be perceived, although I only pick things that I like, of course. Of course, not everyone has the same ideals as I do. Unique is great, but really I think people should just use what they want.

My avatar is a character who isn't in the database, and there are plenty of other characters who haven't made it in either. If you're into more obscure things, then it's not too hard to find an obscure character. Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku/Magical Girl Raising Project isn't too obscure since the anime aired, but my avatar is my favorite character (Prism Cherry), however, she is only in the light novel. The database only lists characters from the first arc, so there are probably around 60+ characters missing. Either way, I've never even seen another MGRP avatar, so I guess it'd be unique even if I picked a more known character.

Not everyone needs to have an obscure or unique character, though. My interaction with the avatar is that I tend to read the post in the avatar's voice (or perceived voice), which is why I chose the one that I did. If someone uses a silly picture or a non-living thing as an avatar, I don't usually have that perceived voice. Regardless, I haven't noticed myself taking a person more or less seriously based on their avatars. Humans are judgmental by nature, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've done it. I try not to be that type of person, though.
Mar 29, 2017 5:58 PM

Jun 2015
I change mine fairly often. A person's forum picture does often change how I think of them.
:)
Mar 29, 2017 6:08 PM

Oct 2016
Go with .gif.
.gif never let you down.
Mar 29, 2017 6:15 PM

Oct 2016
I suggest being creative with the picture of said character for your avatar. Not that you have to use an anime character.
Mar 29, 2017 7:29 PM

Aug 2016
>using anime characters for a profile picture

fuck that. obscure childhood picture books or gtfo
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Mar 29, 2017 7:49 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I guess now I just need to find a way to overcome my dilemma and post more in threads to be able to get noticed by people, for I am certain that my avant-garde avatar that I conjured from the most high skill-demanding software which is Microsoft Paint is the one-and-only around here.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Mar 29, 2017 9:59 PM

May 2013
I'm the only person I know with an Ui avatar.

Such a shame. She's so hot.
Mar 29, 2017 10:26 PM

May 2012
I took my avatar from the movie Summer Wars. As a Red Sox fan, I broke up when the lady (yes, that's a lady) in that picture put on her Matsuzaka Daisuke shirt before watching her son pitch.

I've used that avatar here continuously, but over at AnimeSuki I've used a lot of different avatars. You can see some of them here and here. I change them to reflect what I'm currently watching or to advertise a show I recently enjoyed. For instance, at the moment I have this at AS:

Over the years I've developed a good eye for potential avatars. I'll be watching a show and suddenly think that a particular scene would make a good avatar. I have some that are static, but usually I prefer animated GIFs. I enjoy the process of constructing animated avatars that conform to size limits like forums impose. I've become impressed by how just a few frames can be sufficient to carry a scene. The Red Sox one here has just nine frames, but the motion seems fluid and continuous. One advantage is that much of the background remains static. Really only her arms, mouth, and the bag have much motion, so it's easier for the image to be compressed. Compare that with something like this from Nijuu Mensou no Musume where everything is in motion:

That has eight frames, but is smaller in overall dimensions because it's much less compressible. I had to reduce the size to fit under the (then) AS filesize limit. Other than Chiko's face and shoulder, each frame has very little in common with the ones before or after because of the moving hair, flames, and chains.

As a Linux user, I rely on mplayer to grab frames, and the GIMP to create the avatars themselves.
SeijiSenseiMar 29, 2017 10:58 PM
Mar 30, 2017 12:44 AM

Mar 2017
My avatar is an avatar of Akihisa in Baka to Test. (Avatarception)
Mar 30, 2017 1:02 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think it matters, but tbh I don't post much neither so it's not like someone will associate my name with the picture anyways.
Mar 30, 2017 2:35 AM

Nov 2014
It's not about characters but avatar itself. Look at my avatar: I used popular gif, but cropped it, removed some frames, changed speed, added long pasue, changed to grayscale and added border. There is no way someone will have same avatar.
On the other hand picture I use as profile pic and on some other sites (like Steam) is very popular and I didn't edit it. I usually stick to single avatar for years, so I won't bother with changing it myself when I know any other user of it will change theirs before me anyway.

I use only male avatars and only characters that I like or have some common traits with me. On the other hand I'm happy when some users have cute girls or other nice-to-look-at avatars. Personally I "collect" cute girls in my signature.

As for judging person based on character in their avatar... idk. I think I sometimes do it too, but t sounds wrong.
Mar 30, 2017 3:51 AM

Mar 2017
You can use whatever character as your avatar. but then there's these guys who use sexual gifs as profile pics or signatures. Really makes it hard to use MAL when at work, home or just anywhere there's people.
JetblackwingsMar 30, 2017 4:16 AM
Mar 30, 2017 3:59 AM

May 2015
Jetblackwings said:
You can use whatever character as you avatar. but then there's these guys who use sexual gifs as profile pics or signatures. Really makes it hard to use MAL when at work, home or just anywhere there's people.
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=forumoptions

On the bottom you can add users to the ignore list so you don't see their post/avatar and signature unless you click on the greyed (only for ignored users) blue bar above every comment.

Or you can even just block them and don't see that they posted at all and don't receive any of their notifications.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2017 4:10 AM

Mar 2017
zal said:
Jetblackwings said:
You can use whatever character as you avatar. but then there's these guys who use sexual gifs as profile pics or signatures. Really makes it hard to use MAL when at work, home or just anywhere there's people.
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=forumoptions

On the bottom you can add users to the ignore list so you don't see their post/avatar and signature unless you click on the greyed (only for ignored users) blue bar above every comment.

Or you can even just block them and don't see that they posted at all and don't receive any of their notifications.

Thanks a lot. I'm new to MAL so I didn't know this.
Mar 30, 2017 7:19 AM

Feb 2010
always awkward to meet same looking person not only in real life >.> so yes better to use less pupular char as avatar so can avoid uncomfortable situations when someone mistakens you for a person with same picture.
SlayMagicalMar 30, 2017 7:23 AM
Mar 30, 2017 8:23 AM

Apr 2015
Or you could do like some of us do and not use anime characters for profile pics.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 30, 2017 8:31 AM

Aug 2014
Ultimatedeath said:
Nobody knows/remembers me I'm too unknown for the community to notice/know my existence :3

But i'm not concerned at all, if the person with the avatar has a bad profile then I would most likely ignore that person especially if the person have commented badly on other peoples comment sections :3

Ehhh, you got like one of the most memorable usernames tho.

OT: as long as you're satisfied with how you're avatar/set looks, it's the best outcome. Tho less popular characters will be used by less people, so you'll have a bigger chance to appear as unique. But might as well do that by making a stylish set.
Mar 30, 2017 9:13 AM

Nov 2014
I've never really thought about it that way, but yeah I totally see what OP means. Of course, we can't really control what avatars people want to use, and popular characters are gonna be used in a lot of avatars, but it would be pretty neat if everyone used a different character or at least a different shot/drawing.

That being said, I've always used obscure characters just because a lot of my very favorite characters just happen to be obscure.

Like, my forum avatar is probably about as obscure as it gets. It's from an obscure VN and the character DOESNT EVEN HAVE A NAME. (seriously if anybody actually recognizes my avatar, send me a friend request, lol)
Mar 30, 2017 9:25 AM

Apr 2011
I only choose not to associate myself with people who use sexual images of characters. As I am relatively certain that I will have no interests in common whatsoever with these people as our perceptions likely lie too far apart, I find it credible enough a reason to not purposefully seek contact with them. I could never relate.

Other than that, I could not give a rat's arse about which character from which show someone uses as their avatar. While there might be some psychology at work here as people often choose pictures of those fictional characters with whom they can relate, the importance of popularity is not something that crosses my mind as anything that requires specific attention. While vibrant or 'different' avatars might draw more attention to themselves, they are not persé a reflection of the person who uses it.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Mar 30, 2017 9:49 AM

Sep 2016
Yet to see any Kura avatars besides mine...I'd say I'm pretty safe on that front?

Dekomori-Chan
My cute Waifu has long hair
Tangle me up please
Mar 30, 2017 9:58 AM

Apr 2015
I use this avatar to show off on how glorious and superior a Yandere is compared to other dere.
Mar 30, 2017 10:07 AM

Jan 2017
I think there are positives to both sides.

Well-known: Using a well-known character as your avatar gives more people a chance to relate to you. Let's say someone has a Naruto avatar. I'd say nearly everyone would be able to clearly indicate the character is from Naruto. This gives people the opportunity to connect via this anime; whether that be in sharing your like for Naruto or sharing your detest for it. Either way, you are connecting with someone you may not have connected with had you not recognized their character.

Not well-known: Just as using a well-known character has its perks, using a less popular character as your avatar also has its benefits. Using a character that is not well-known also gives the opportunity to meet new people. Even in my case, I can't tell you how many times I have messaged or commented on someone's profile asking more about their avatar. I actually enjoy seeing less popular anime as avatars because it allows me to discover new anime to watch lol.

As for recognizing the person based off their avatar, for me it doesn't matter whether it is popular or less popular. 9 times out of 10, if two people use a Rukia (from Bleach) avatar, they won't be the same one. So in this way, even using more popular anime characters as an avatar has its own uniqueness. Either way though, avatars are just images underneath a screen name. I typically don't judge someone based off their avatar but instead by the words they are posting. If anything, avatars are just a conversation starter for me.
KyuutoMar 30, 2017 10:11 AM

im weeb trash

Mar 30, 2017 10:16 AM

May 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:

I'm one of them, but the show was pretty short (´・ㅅ・`)
Mar 30, 2017 11:14 AM

Aug 2015
It totally depends on person preferences I guess.. For me I usually associate people's taste and personality with their avatar and sig.. Doesn't really affect me if they're popular or not ( as long as people don't start using the exact same pic as their avatar)..

Speaking of which, I wonder how many people can tell which character I'm using as my current avatar.. @_@
Mar 30, 2017 12:05 PM

Apr 2013
I don't think I have ever seen another user on mal with a Bazz-B avi.
So what do I win? Is my power level higher now?
Mar 30, 2017 12:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Raizel said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

so were the periods in which i didn't fap ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 30, 2017 12:32 PM

May 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Raizel said:

so were the periods in which i didn't fap ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Don't remember I forget about things pretty easily :D
Mar 30, 2017 1:50 PM

Feb 2011
People should just use what they want, no matter how well-known it is. And I'm not one to judge someone based on it, whether it's a cute girl, something lewder, Kirito, Spike Spiegel, something obscure or something that's not even anime-related. In fact, I find it completely idiotic to do that. People who judge someone for having a Kirito avatar are not really different from people who judge someone for having an anime avatar at all.

Mar 30, 2017 7:44 PM

Aug 2015
I've never paid too much attention to avatars, but it is cool to see people with more unknown characters, etc. Though I do agree with your Kirito argument, it's just... they can't be serious right?
Mar 30, 2017 8:27 PM

Dec 2015
Mhh I think, actually people can use anything as their avatar like... whatever they wanna use.. me personally.. using Mauve cause I like her personality that I guess "rare" for a female to see in anime which somehow you could find simillarities with my other's fav characters.. also another reason is Ive always think I wanna be an auditor but since my dad asked me to think twice of the risk since Im a girl and thinking about my IT Auditing lecturer's experience back then.. so ya pretty much like that... well I still like auditing :D
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Mar 30, 2017 10:05 PM

Aug 2016
It doesn't matter at all what kind of Avatar you use, does it?

Tastes differ. That being said, it honestly doesn't matter if a certain show is overrated or not, aslong as you like it you could do anything with it you want.

Yes there are tons or Kirito's, so what? Leave them be, they liked the show, despite the fact that SAO is a overly famous show, they show their gratitude by doing it like that. Also, they might have some kind of bond with the character, maybe the way they are or anything like that, that motivates them in actual life, leave them be.

Reach out

Mar 30, 2017 10:16 PM

Aug 2011
Meh, go with something you like, I've been using mine for over 10 years new I believe, most people have no idea what it is.
^_^
Mar 30, 2017 11:48 PM

Aug 2011
I wouldn't say it's better, but it does help you stand out. I personally think having something that isn't anime is the best way to get posts noticed and the user remembered. Like I know I tend to always read posts by @Comic_Sans just because she always has very different but still unique non-anime avatars that catch my attention.

Sigs are what I notice the most though, so I sometimes know who's posting without looking to the left at all. Damn you @EcchiLordMamster.

But honestly who cares, customization is there for a reason. It's there for you to put whatever you want on it, so why not.

Mar 31, 2017 12:01 AM

Dec 2016
I usually associate people based on their avatar/signature, so I guess its better to have something thats different. But in the end it doesnt really matter to me.
Mar 31, 2017 3:22 AM

Jun 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

A.I-chan from the anime or youtube..?
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Mar 31, 2017 4:57 AM

Dec 2014
Why the fuck is it even matter lmao...

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Mar 31, 2017 6:43 AM

Mar 2014
I do like when people have their own unique avatar/sig, as i start associating that with people since it's easier than their name. I see like 3 people running around with the walking potato and it fucks me up.
Mar 31, 2017 7:04 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Takamura-sama said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

A.I-chan from the anime or youtube..?

lol i've been on A.I.-Chan's channel only since February... im talking about the girl in my avatar from Tawawa

A.I.-chan is the fucking future though <3
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

30 by redorzo »»
1 minute ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

10 by MeguSae38 »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 3 minutes ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.