Forum Settings
Forums

What is the difference between anime and cartoon?

New
Jan 11, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2017
The only difference i know is that anime is Japanese cartoon but why name Japanese cartoon anime? Why not name American cartoon something? Is there more difference between anime and cartoon and if there is what is it?

How should i explain anime to someone new who does not know any difference between anime and cartoon?
I will have to explain anime to my class tomorrow it will suck.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2017 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Anime is nothing more than Japanese animation, there is no difference between anime and cartoon other than it's origin.
Jan 11, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2016
Anime is Japanese cartoon.

Why do you have to explain your class?
Jan 11, 2017 7:17 AM
Apr 2011
Saleh_Mazin said:

How should i explain anime to someone new who does not know any difference between anime and cartoon?.

one's got animoos, while the other's got cartunes.
Jan 11, 2017 7:19 AM

Feb 2013
The only difference i know is that anime is Japanese cartoon but why name Japanese cartoon anime?
in japan "anime" is used for all animation
we call it anime because it's convenient
"cartoon" does not necessarily imply animation
"anime" can also be used to refer to the art style

Why not name American cartoon something?
why would we
united states produces most animation... that's like the default assumption

Is there more difference between anime and cartoon and if there is what is it?
going by the "anime = japanese animation", "cartoon = animated production", then not really, other than country of provenance
but both words can have other meanings

How should i explain anime to someone new who does not know any difference between anime and cartoon?
"anime is japanese animation"
yea that works
Jan 11, 2017 7:22 AM

Mar 2016
Yes anime is typically made in Japan and it's stylistically and structurally different from a cartoon. Anime are generally made to promote the parent manga and one anime season is about 12 to 25 episodes long.

A cartoon can (and will) run for as long as its network funds it and they generally do not have a plot or over arching storyline. Unless it's a super hero cartoon; those typically always have a story because they've got comic books to reference and draw inspiration from.

Now here's where it gets tricky:

In America, we have shows like Avatar, Legend of Korra, and Voltron: Legendary Defender which all look just like anime. People say they're not anime just because they're made in America, but the authors specifically designed the shows to be based off anime. In that case, I would consider those shows anime too, but as an American form of anime (Voltron: Legendary Defender IS an alternate version of Japan's Voltron anime, so I would absolutely consider it an anime).

To be simple though you could just show them this comparison and be done with it:

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 7:24 AM

Jan 2017
Because teacher said what do you like? I said anime. If i say its only Japanese cartoon they may think im childish because im watching cartoon. In my country its very childish to watch cartoon
Jan 11, 2017 7:27 AM

Feb 2016
Saleh_Mazin said:
Because teacher said what do you like? I said anime. If i say its only Japanese cartoon they may think im childish because im watching cartoon. In my country its very childish to watch cartoon

Then show them non-childish anime. The whole point of the presentation is to tell them more about what exactly you are talking about. It's your chance to teach them the truth.
Jan 11, 2017 7:29 AM

Nov 2009
Saleh_Mazin said:
The only difference i know is that anime is Japanese cartoon but why name Japanese cartoon anime? Why not name American cartoon something? Is there more difference between anime and cartoon and if there is what is it?

By definition, anime is any cartoon made by Japanese for their domestic market.
We use a special word for anime, because it has one unique characteristic that sets it apart from animation by the rest of the world:
Japanese make animation for teenagers. Not kiddy stuff that insults your intelligence. Not stuff that only a boring adult critic would appreciate. But the fun stuff that people of teenage age and above can enjoy.
And they make a lot of it. It's not like My Little Pony which was supposed to be shown to little girls, but ended up with a fanbase of adults accidentally, because it happened to be really good.

Do note that Japanese regularly make kiddy stuff that insults people's intelligence, but we tend to ignore it (it's at the bottom of every season's list), and occasionally they make stuff for boring adult critics too. And they still count as anime, but they aren't the focus of out affection.
Also do note that their expertise bleeds out, and they make anime for non-critic adults too. Sometimes, it's awesome.
Jan 11, 2017 7:30 AM

Feb 2013
Saleh_Mazin said:
no way out of this; unless "cartoon for adult" doesn't sound so weird in your language
Jan 11, 2017 7:31 AM

Jan 2017
_Poochyena_ said:
Yes anime is typically made in Japan and it's stylistically and structurally different from a cartoon. Anime are generally made to promote the parent manga and one anime season is about 12 to 25 episodes long.

A cartoon can (and will) run for as long as its network funds it and they generally do not have a plot or over arching storyline. Unless it's a super hero cartoon; those typically always have a story because they've got comic books to reference and draw inspiration from.

Now here's where it gets tricky:

In America, we have shows like Avatar, Legend of Korra, and Voltron: Legendary Defender which all look just like anime. People say they're not anime just because they're made in America, but the authors specifically designed the shows to be based off anime. In that case, I would consider those shows anime too, but as an American form of anime (Voltron: Legendary Defender IS an alternate version of Japan's Voltron anime, so I would absolutely consider it an anime).

To be simple though you could just show them this comparison and be done with it:

Thanks this will work. I forgot that cartoon does not have a story and that anime is based of manga.
Jan 11, 2017 7:32 AM

Apr 2011
Just that one is what Japanese generally use to refer to cartoons, which later got adopted from outside of Japan to refer to Japanese cartoons. Long story short, all anime are cartoons. All cartoons are also anime, but also not anime at the same time.
Jan 11, 2017 7:32 AM
Apr 2011
Saleh_Mazin said:
In my country its very childish to watch cartoon
Just say it is a difference in culture, and in Japan (and many other countries), it is not uncommon for an adult to see an animated film?

Or you can go with my first suggestion a couple posts earlier.
Jan 11, 2017 7:42 AM

Jan 2017
I will show my class naruto death scenes and lot of blood, horror and death. Thanks for the help guys
Jan 11, 2017 7:50 AM

Dec 2015
Saleh_Mazin said:
I will show my class naruto death scenes and lot of blood, horror and death. Thanks for the help guys

That's a terrible idea.
You're probably better off just skipping school tomorrow.
Jan 11, 2017 8:37 AM
Jul 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
Saleh_Mazin said:

That's a terrible idea.
You're probably better off just skipping school tomorrow.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I think the only worse plan you could have would be to show them ecchi or hentai. A nightmarish gore-fest is not going to endear you to many people, least of all your teacher. Particularly if the age indicated on your profile is accurate.

I'd pick a pivotal, non-gory moment where the protagonist of an anime faces off against a villain, or something to that effect. Maybe the L vs. Light TV broadcast segment at the end of episode 2 of Death Note, if you're confident that your teacher will find the show's premise intriguing as opposed to appalling.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Jan 11, 2017 8:53 AM

Jan 2017
Maybe you guys are right. I show them heartbreaking sad death that will make everyone cry of sadness. what do you guys think about that?

Edit;And yeah my age is accurate.
-01Jan 11, 2017 8:59 AM
Jan 11, 2017 9:03 AM

Dec 2015
Cartoon doesn't always mean animated stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon
Jan 11, 2017 9:11 AM
Apr 2011
Saleh_Mazin said:
Maybe you guys are right. I show them heartbreaking sad death that will make everyone cry of sadness. what do you guys think about that?

You can't just explain to them animoos and be done with it?

I think you should show maybe a couple very short anime trailers of cool looking anime (nothing gory or ecchi though, not gonna be good for school setting).
Jan 11, 2017 9:16 AM
Jul 2016
Saleh_Mazin said:

Definitely a better idea, but be aware that, in most circumstances, they're not going to have the context necessary to fully understand why the scene is so moving. It'll probably still convey your point pretty well, but don't expect them to be overcome with emotion.

Imagine seeing, for example... *glances at your list to find an example*

You'll get the general sense that it's a sad moment, but it won't have anywhere near the impact it would have had if you'd spent so many episodes getting to know this character and its situation.

So, there are probably better ways to convey your point, but I think your current idea could possibly work. Just be aware that your audience probably won't be quite as blown away by the scene as you were.

(And, before anyone says anything: Yes, I'm aware that the mentioned scene wasn't by any means the best example out there, but I was having trouble pulling examples from his list, as there's not a lot of overlap between his and mine.)
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Jan 11, 2017 9:19 AM

Apr 2011
Japanese animation= Anime
Non-Japanese animation= Cartoons
Jan 11, 2017 9:20 AM

Jan 2017
FononZero said:
Saleh_Mazin said:

You can't just explain to them animoos and be done with it?

I think you should show maybe a couple very short anime trailers of cool looking anime (nothing gory or ecchi though, not gonna be good for school setting).
I will take that into consideration.
Jan 11, 2017 9:20 AM

Nov 2013
An easy distinction: Cartoons are good. Anime is bad.

Steven Universe is good so it's a cartoon.
Re:Zero is bad so it's an anime.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is good so it's a cartoon.
Gintama is bad so it's an anime.

See?
Jan 11, 2017 9:31 AM

Jan 2017
kI4synVCfn7PMH4w said:
An easy distinction: Cartoons are good. Anime is bad.

Steven Universe is good so it's a cartoon.
Re:Zero is bad so it's an anime.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is good so it's a cartoon.
Gintama is bad so it's an anime.

See?
i like both Re;Zero and Avatar but i have never seen Steven universe or Gintama
Jan 11, 2017 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
Every country has its own art style, its own culture, its own humour, and its own archetypes. The differences between anime and American cartoons are probably fairly similar to the differences between Italian and Finnish cartoons. There are plenty of differences, but the main ones are about what culture its set in. We don't have shrine maidens or summer yukata festivals and they don't have high school students with beards or characters with triangle shaped heads.
Jan 11, 2017 10:34 AM
Apr 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
Every country has its own art style, its own culture, its own humour, and its own archetypes. The differences between anime and American cartoons are probably fairly similar to the differences between Italian and Finnish cartoons. There are plenty of differences, but the main ones are about what culture its set in. We don't have shrine maidens or summer yukata festivals and they don't have high school students with beards or characters with triangle shaped heads.

But what if someone makes a show with a bearded high school triangle shaped head summer yukata-wearing shrine maiden? What would that be?
Jan 11, 2017 11:17 PM

Nov 2009
Saleh_Mazin said:

If you really feel the need to say "anime is for adults", show them the first half-episode of Elfen Lied.
Make sure no underclassmen are around - that stuff can be traumatizing for kids.

But really, you're better off making a lecture in your own words, and only illustrating it with static pictures of appropriate moments. Put a couple of fighting scenes, a happy reunion, a tragic death, some cool mecha...

Well, I am probably too late. Tell us how it went, okay?
Jan 11, 2017 11:57 PM

May 2014
There is no difference anime = cartoons
Jan 12, 2017 1:07 AM

Nov 2014
Cartoon has less violence and profanity.(You don see any catoon contain gore scene or nudity right?)So its suitable for children to watch.

Anime content has more violence and profanity.So its suitable for all ages audience.

Keijo is the best adult anime ever existed.
Where Words Fail, Music Speaks.

-Han Christian Anderson
Jan 12, 2017 4:28 AM

Aug 2015
One is made by weird abominations with squinty eyes, the other is made by real people.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 12, 2017 5:14 AM

Nov 2014
It's not really important is it?

"Anime" is short for animation in the Japanese language. So yeah for me theoretically anything made by Japan. Though really in recent years the animation has been moving out of Japan as well.

For me though, in practice I watch basically whatever I find interesting on anichart or MAL. So whatever the people who run these sites view anime as.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 12, 2017 7:20 AM

Jun 2008
uhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Anime ARE cartoons.

Oh boy....here we go....I just triggered 60% of MAL...
Jan 12, 2017 10:52 AM

Nov 2009
JustALEX said:
uhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Anime ARE cartoons.

Oh boy....here we go....I just triggered 60% of MAL...

You are wrong. Anime are good cartoons, unlike the childish stuff produced by other countries.
Jan 12, 2017 10:54 AM
Jan 2013
If it's been blessed by the blood of satan, it's anime
gone bai bai
Jan 12, 2017 2:17 PM

Jul 2015
Anime is basically a 2D cartoon, but originates from Asia and is more stylish and artistic, in general, than most western cartoons, and is often geared towards adults rather than kids.
You'll never see a naked girl in a Bugs Bunny cartoon!
The different terms distinguish the Asian style of animation from the Western style , but basically, anime are cartoons.
Look at it this way...Hurricanes and Typhoons are the same type of storm, but Typhoons originate from the Eastern hemisphere, and Hurricanes the Western hemisphere, Typhoons may be a little different because they are generally stronger, but it's the same beast as a Hurricane.
Jan 12, 2017 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Anime is a Japanese colloquialism.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 12, 2017 2:24 PM

Aug 2014
That's easy. Anime is good, Cartoon is shit.
Jan 12, 2017 2:38 PM

Feb 2014
Saleh_Mazin said:

If you know portuguese i may reccomend you an EXPECTACULAR text about the subject (Or google translate): https://esoumdesenho.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/anime-e-desenho/

TL;DR: Just like dogs and wolves were once the same thing and no one knows exactly when they became distinct from eachother, so did anime and cartoons in general.

Saleh_Mazin said:

E D G Y

But seriously, is kinda hard to try to "demonstrate" anime in one single anime, since anime is not a "genre", but a medium (Like Books or Cinema).

I would probably go for one of those "non-specific anime" AMV's.
Or even maybe show some examples of anime that are alike to famous Movies/TV Series.

Or maybe the best option would be to go with "noitaminA" stuff, since it's aimed to a "general audience", heck, since you're going for leymen, ERASED might be a good choice.
Jan 12, 2017 3:17 PM

Jan 2017
I already explained what anime is. I had some fights and drama with some people but it turned out great for me at the end because i won the argument and they look stupid now. You can let this thread die i did my job. And thanks to the people who helped.
Oh 'nd because of of the argument, we wasted lot of school time it was good idea to choose anime as my topic at the end.
Jan 12, 2017 3:19 PM

Feb 2014
Saleh_Mazin said:
I already explained what anime is. I had some fights and drama with some people but it turned out great for me at the end because i won the argument and they look stupid now. You can let this thread die i did my job. And thanks to the people who helped.
Oh 'nd because of of the argument, we wasted lot of school time it was good idea to choose anime as my topic at the end.

Tell us more about it, OP, i'm interested.
Jan 12, 2017 3:22 PM

Jan 2017
Oh i forget to tell yah i showed my fellow students the first episode of death note"
Jan 12, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2016
Anime is the Japanese equivalent of our cartoons from children to adult

just like cartoons although they have more range

(meaning more stuff they can air than we can example heavy ecchi, more violence and gore,ect but imo though we can get away with quite a bit ourselves)

(A tad off topic but I wonder do they get the same kind of sub vs dub stuff over their as well with american cartoons I wonder? even though I think everyone should do what they like it just kind of popped into my head.)
animefan0071Jan 12, 2017 3:32 PM

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Jan 12, 2017 5:29 PM

Feb 2015
I dunno... I guess you can call both a "cartoon" anyway, for me normies refer to it as "cartoon" while some ppl refer to it as "hentai" or "cartoon porn".
Jan 12, 2017 8:05 PM

Dec 2015
Anime is made by Japanese, voiced by Japanese, and mainly 2D.
Jan 24, 2017 2:04 AM

Sep 2016
You gotta be kidding me. This is the main problem that i face when trying to explain anime to someone who hasnt heard about it
Jan 24, 2017 3:17 AM

Aug 2013
VANSEDE said:
Cartoon has less violence and profanity.(You don see any catoon contain gore scene or nudity right?)So its suitable for children to watch.
Yeah quite suitable for children to watch.

flannan said:

You are wrong. Anime are good cartoons, unlike the childish stuff produced by other countries.
Childish stuff> edgy emo shit for teenagers and sexualized little girls for pedos.

_Poochyena_ said:
A lot of non superhero cartoons do have overarching storylines and there are cartoons that have been ended by their creators not the network. Regular Show for example was recently ended by it's creator and Adventure Time is set to end next year.
DrGeroCreationJan 24, 2017 3:23 AM
Jan 24, 2017 4:19 AM

Nov 2009
DrGeroCreation said:
flannan said:

Childish stuff> edgy emo shit for teenagers and sexualized little girls for pedos.

It depends on who you are.
I liked a number of shows described as "edgy", most notably Mirai Nikki.
I do not mind sexualized little girls either, and find people's pedophobia to be obviously evil, just like homophobia and racism.

But most importantly, anime is not limited to that.
It can have adventure stories that do not make an adult me or a teenage hypothetical audience to bang our heads on the wall due to how stupid it is.
In can have social commentary do pedophobia and childhood in general (while still providing sexualized little girls to involve the audience that needs it the most in the discussion).
It can have a story about macroeconomics, progress and wars, while making it about a cool fantasy world so that people can watch it and talk about it without falling into overheated arguments about current politics.
It can have beautiful girls and romance in a way that is actually accessible to male viewers.
And many more.
Jan 24, 2017 5:14 AM

Jan 2017
One is full of losers, the other is alright.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 24, 2017 5:37 AM

Aug 2013
@flannan Cartoons can have that as well and can have things to attract adults like sexual innuendos, movie references etc. If you were not so extremely biased against cartoons you would probably know that.
Jan 24, 2017 6:01 AM

Nov 2009
DrGeroCreation said:
@flannan Cartoons can have that as well and can have things to attract adults like sexual innuendos, movie references etc. If you were not so extremely biased against cartoons you would probably know that.

In my (limited) experience, american cartoons can be divided into 2 categories:
1) Ugly, and I do not want to watch them.
2) Too dumb for me.
And sometimes both.
With the growing popularity of anime, some western cartoons have partaken in anime's awesomeness, but this does not change the overall dynamic.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Different scores to the anime’s seasons

Yonahim_Zz - 6 hours ago

25 by 23feanor »»
7 minutes ago

» ⌛ How many of your top-10 fiction is anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Mar 27, 2022

112 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
17 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 9

69 by ColourWheel »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you update your list with the exact day? ( 1 2 )

Pokitaru - Yesterday

50 by deg »»
24 minutes ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username?

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

11 by popgreens »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.