Forum Settings
Forums

Do you update your list with the exact day?

New
May 15, 10:16 AM

Jul 2015
When you update your list, do you always add the exact day you watched an episode?

Personally, 99% of the time, I update my list right after watching an episode, so the date is accurate. However, sometimes I don't update immediately because I didn't log in to MAL. In those cases, I simply update the episode without worrying about the exact day, since a difference of 1-2 days doesn't matter to me.

So with that said, I'm curious to know how others handle this. Do you care that much about having the specific day and time? Or do you also find it unnecessary to be that precise if you're updating a bit late?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 15, 10:19 AM

Sep 2016
Huh? No, is there any reason to care about that?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 15, 10:19 AM

Feb 2020
I update my lists in advance before I have even seen the episodes, like, a couple of hours before or so.
May 15, 10:20 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to Zarutaku
Huh? No, is there any reason to care about that?
@Zarutaku Some people care that much. I know it sounds weird, but trust me, I've seen it happening
May 15, 10:22 AM

Aug 2013
I don't understand exactly how that works. I just say I completed something, or click on the '+' to add a couple of episodes I have watched. Sometimes MAL remembers the date I completed something, but most times it doesn't.

I don't really pay attention to it, but sometimes it might be fun to see when exactly I completed something in the past.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
May 15, 10:23 AM

Jun 2019
I don't even update my list entries on a per episode basis. I just add them to my overall list in the Plan to Watch section, change their status to Currently Watching while I'm watching them (whether it be for less than a day or even years, if I haven't decided otherwise to formally mark them as On Hold) throughout all and any part of them, and then mark them as Completed once I'm fully done.

I never wanted to be bothered getting into the nitty-gritty minutiae of worrying about changing and marking the status of individual episodes.
May 15, 10:31 AM

Jan 2020
Nah. Too tedious for me to do that tbh.
May 15, 10:32 AM

May 2019
I barely update mu list in the first place.
May 15, 10:40 AM

Jan 2017
Coaghim said:
I don't understand exactly how that works. I just say I completed something, or click on the '+' to add a couple of episodes I have watched. Sometimes MAL remembers the date I completed something, but most times it doesn't.

Clicking on the + button to add episodes will log the infos automatically. (Edit : Same if you click onto the field for the episode number to change it.)

You can see your logs for the entry by clicking on Edit > History. If you have the same number of episode than the total one after clicking on +, you get a small pop-up that asks you if you want to move it to your Completed list. If you do so, MAL will log the date. However, if you manually go into Edit, and put it into your Completed list, the log will not be made, and therefore, the date will not be filled.
Alexioos95May 15, 10:43 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 15, 10:42 AM

Dec 2013
I update my list right after I watch an episode but that's because I'm too forgetful and I'd forget the number of episodes I've watched if I don't update my list.. I don't see how ''the date'' would matter tho, I'm not even sure how to look that up..
Melysara.
May 15, 10:49 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to Alexioos95
Coaghim said:

Clicking on the + button to add episodes will log the infos automatically. (Edit : Same if you click onto the field for the episode number to change it.)

You can see your logs for the entry by clicking on Edit > History. If you have the same number of episode than the total one after clicking on +, you get a small pop-up that asks you if you want to move it to your Completed list. If you do so, MAL will log the date. However, if you manually go into Edit, and put it into your Completed list, the log will not be made, and therefore, the date will not be filled.
@Alexioos95 Thx 4 solving the mystery haha

I manually made it complete most of the times. I'll now use + till I hit max and then '+' 1 more time for the pop up to show up :D
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
May 15, 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to ShouyoKatsumi
I update my list right after I watch an episode but that's because I'm too forgetful and I'd forget the number of episodes I've watched if I don't update my list.. I don't see how ''the date'' would matter tho, I'm not even sure how to look that up..
ShouyoKatsumi said:
I update my list right after I watch an episode but that's because I'm too forgetful and I'd forget the number of episodes I've watched if I don't update my list..

Yeah same. I tend to forget quite easily.
May 15, 10:55 AM

Jan 2008
I just add the start date and end date to series as a whole. It was kind of amusing to me when I realized I had just finished one 10 years after starting.
May 15, 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to ZakuF_
I just add the start date and end date to series as a whole. It was kind of amusing to me when I realized I had just finished one 10 years after starting.
@ZakuF_ Damn, 10 years is a lot of time. Which anime was it?
May 15, 10:59 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Serafos
I update my lists in advance before I have even seen the episodes, like, a couple of hours before or so.
@Serafos I do the same thing sometimes lmao
May 15, 11:00 AM

Jan 2008
Reply to Pokitaru
@ZakuF_ Damn, 10 years is a lot of time. Which anime was it?
@Pokitaru The Irregular at Magic High School. Watched a bit when it was airing in 2014.

May 15, 11:01 AM
Aug 2018
I update every time after watching an episode or reading a chapter, but if I'm binging, I update afterwards.
May 15, 11:06 AM
Nov 2017
My mal-list is about 5% of everything I have actually watched and read, so updating it in real time isn't very high on my priority list
May 15, 11:13 AM

Jun 2022
I try to update my list as soon as I can.

It annoys me that I can't remember the exact dates I first watched a bunch of stuff.

I'd like to be able to read through my list and see when exactly I watched stuff. And this isn't possible unless I ensure the dates are accurate.
May 15, 11:13 AM

Mar 2012
I log into MAL at the end of the day and update my list with what I watched that day.
May 15, 11:21 AM

Aug 2010
Usually right after I watch the episode. If I watch more than 1 episode or more than 1 anime, then I add it right after I finish watching all of them. So yes, I add them on the exact date most of the time.
May 15, 11:37 AM

Dec 2021
In most of the time I update during the outro song.

For manga, I update when I think I'll stop.

“If one feels it is fun now, one will be able to enjoy life the most. Everything will change over time, so we must treasure the happy moments before us.”

May 15, 11:46 AM

Jun 2010
I usually update what I watch and read at the end of the day to keep track of where I have stopped so as to continue another day. Exact date and time are not important. I sometimes didn't update for a few days or weeks. But I do have a separate list for my record. MAL is just a spare.

In the past I did not put in the start and end date after I finished a series. Nowadays, I have started to do so.
May 15, 12:18 PM

Jul 2015
Reply to BirdyTheMighty
My mal-list is about 5% of everything I have actually watched and read, so updating it in real time isn't very high on my priority list
@BirdyTheMighty Why do you have only 5% of what you watched exactly?
May 15, 12:42 PM

Jun 2020
I try to do it as often as possible unless i watch at night and am too tired to gaf

May 15, 12:54 PM
Mar 2017
No , I’ve recently started to update my lists if I for example am watching an anime slowly , so I’ll update the number of eps whenever I watch one ( or more if it’s a long anime )
Like for example gintama, I’ll update whenever I finish an arc or so

Aside from that I only put the anime in my watching list and when I’m done I’ll change it to completed while also rating it ( tho I started to do the same as case one out of amusement of seeing an anime getting a higher or lower score after some eps )
May 15, 12:57 PM

Oct 2013
I usually update immediately after I finish an episode, because I care about that for some reason.
May 15, 12:59 PM
Nov 2017
Reply to Pokitaru
@BirdyTheMighty Why do you have only 5% of what you watched exactly?
@Pokitaru because I registered on mal after my extreme anime/manga consumption phase, and I can't be bothered to go back and add everything I consumed before that. And when I actually add something to my list, most of the stuff I dont update even if I already completed it. Or I just watch something and forget to add it entirely.
May 15, 1:00 PM

Mar 2021
Pokitaru said:
Do you update your list with the exact day?

No, I simply only update Anime titles I tend to finish or remember finishing or at least feel like at the time if it's even worth updating.

I spend way too much time at a computer each day due to my own professional career meticulously making notes of every detail possible doing the type of paper work I do for work. If I started treating Japanese Anime the same way it would start to feel more like a Job than something I enjoy consuming as a form of escapism. I don't even update my list on everything I have ever consumed throughout my life or even own on physical copies due to the fact I only registered as a member on MAL in 2021, though I have been pretty much consuming Anime since the late 80s.
May 15, 1:03 PM
Apr 2024
Oh no, that's definitely not me. I'm too lazy to do that right away. And honestly, I'm too lazy to update anything in general. XD
May 15, 1:17 PM

Mar 2008
Usually because i want to comment on the episode or not lose track but sometimes I do it next day if I feel tired and forget to.
May 15, 1:19 PM

Dec 2022
I only update my list when I finish an anime. It remains in my PTW until then, even when I'm actively watching it.

Shaded Horizon

May 15, 1:26 PM

Jan 2021
I just put the dates when I started and when I finished an anime
May 15, 1:54 PM

May 2021
I care much more about the dates I started and finished watching. However, if I can update my list right at my fingertips, why not?

May 15, 2:03 PM

Jul 2014
Yes, I usually update my list right after I finish a watch session
May 15, 2:31 PM

Mar 2019
I use mal-sync so my list updates in real time.
May 15, 2:55 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to ShouyoKatsumi
ShouyoKatsumi said:

Pretty much the same here, although I'm not forgetful for awhile.
May 15, 3:33 PM

Jul 2013
I havent updated my anime list on this site for nearly 10 years tbh...
May 15, 4:57 PM
Apr 2022
i often update my anime list on a latest episode basis but sometimes when i feel too lazy it can be 1~2ep late
May 15, 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Adverrito
i often update my anime list on a latest episode basis but sometimes when i feel too lazy it can be 1~2ep late
@Adverrito why are you that busy tbh???
May 15, 5:41 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
When you update your list, do you always add the exact day you watched an episode?

The most important are the first and last episodes, to mark the start/end dates. I always wonder why so many people don't include dates on their lists.

Meanwhile, my list is very cluttered, but it has a lot of important data, especially for someone with a god-awful memory.

May 15, 5:44 PM

Jul 2013
I am not that big into record-keeping...so I dont update my anime watchlist that often tbh...
May 15, 6:48 PM

Nov 2019
I want to but that's just too much effort every time. I salute those who do because in the long run when it's time to reflect on my life I will already forget the day and time I watched Parasyte
May 15, 6:56 PM
Nov 2022
Yes, I add it on my list as soon as possible
May 15, 8:16 PM

Dec 2021
Yes, I also always make sure to mark the start and end date. I like to know exactly when I watched something.
May 15, 8:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
You mean after I complete the anime? There's no adding dates for each episode.
Anyway, I update MAL with Taiga (can't remember the last time I updated my list directly on MAL), so a lot of it is automated. Also, I care about it because of MALgraph stats.
BatoKusanagiMay 15, 8:46 PM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 16, 12:55 AM

Jul 2012
I usually update after every 2 episodes, coz that's when I stand up for a bit from sitting cross legged. Maybe refresh snacks or do my dishes or something lite, then come back for another 2 episodes. I don't input any dates on my list though.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

May 16, 12:59 AM

Mar 2023
I only update my list when i feel like it and if the anime is worth remembering.
May 16, 1:58 AM

Dec 2014
update stuff as you watch it when you can but if you slip and decide to update a bunch of progress at once then who is counting? tbh i didnt even know you could look at exact date of watched eps.. i just update things as and when I remember to

that said remember to note down everything you loved as well as hated with equal enthusiasm so you know what to rewatch/recommend and what not to

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
May 16, 8:32 AM

Jun 2020
Sometimes I update my list before I even started to read or watch something, lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you consider yourself as- Anime Guy, Manga Guy or Neutral ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Jul 24

53 by Shirayukin »»
4 seconds ago

Poll: » would you do anime related work?

nishant0 - Yesterday

16 by SuperAdventure »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9286 by Paladin23 »»
6 minutes ago

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

225 by Cielord »»
10 minutes ago

» Create the user above 3x3

AnimePedestrian - 7 hours ago

5 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.