Forum Settings
Forums

The first episode is a good indicator of the overall quality of a show.

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 26, 2016 5:07 AM

Sep 2014
No, It most definitely is not, especially when talking about the anime industry.

First of all, nearly all anime, nomatter how great the overall anime is, has either a utter POS for a 1st ep or a meh at best first ep.

Then in addition to such, you have anime that use the first few episodes as a prelude to the series proper.

Also It's common for series to have a rocky start, but get way better as the series goes. This is what makes series so great overall, the quality in art, animation, scene executor, writing, ect, has time to be fixed/improved upon.
Sep 26, 2016 5:08 AM

Oct 2010
15poundfish said:
It depends on what you are watching, if you are completely bored with the first episode it probably won't get any better because the pilot of any show tends to be one of the best episodes if you grade them all on a curve.

This has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and I'm going to doubt it, at least from my experience. A pilot episode that qualifies as one of the best has been more of an exception than a rule so far to me.
Sep 26, 2016 5:11 AM

Apr 2015
I try not to subscribe to any one, two, or three episode rule. The following is the main reason:
Guilty Crown had me pulled in after its' first episode. It had me bored by the third, and repulsed by the end of it's first arc. Then had a quality rise in story and characterization through the first half of it's second arc before ending at mediocrity.

While there are things in the first episode that are typically an example of how a series can go, usually the first episode is set up JUST to get someone interested, and there are not enough trends set up within the work to decide if it's going to be good or not. Some shows do an absolute 180 in style after the first episode (See: Shadow Star Naru Taru), or the first episode is way out of order/not included with the rest of the series. (See: Berserk 1997)
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 26, 2016 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
Well, with the first part you just said "The first episode is a good indicator except when it's not". That doesn't make any sense.
Of course, I disagree. If episode 1 was a good indicator of the quality we wouldn't need MAL, professional critics, etc.
Sep 26, 2016 5:15 AM

Jul 2014
While most here aren't agreeing with the original post I definitely will. It's quite easy to get a general feel for something at an early stage through its art, character setup, dialogue and so forth. All these elements tend to remain fairly consistent.

KaiserNazrin said:
No, just no. Many shows gets better after the first episode. Some even take a dozens or so but its the end result that matters.

If a show takes 'dozens' of episodes to get good then it's not a good show. Period.
Sep 26, 2016 5:16 AM

Jun 2016
yes! some of the anime I dropped was because of first episode ans second. :D

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 26, 2016 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
Tozzy said:
While most here aren't agreeing with the original post I definitely will. It's quite easy to get a general feel for something at an early stage through its art, character setup, dialogue and so forth. All these elements tend to remain fairly consistent.

KaiserNazrin said:
No, just no. Many shows gets better after the first episode. Some even take a dozens or so but its the end result that matters.

If a show takes 'dozens' of episodes to get good then it's not a good show. Period.

Considering how many Gintama are on the top ranking, maybe you are wrong.

Sep 26, 2016 5:25 AM

Feb 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
Tozzy said:

kintama is the best example of sequel effect
people who dont like the original wont watch the sequel
and the original is so big (200 episodes) , it makes the effect even stronger
Sep 26, 2016 5:26 AM

Jul 2014
HueyLion said:
aqing0601 said:
I do agree, the first episode can tell you the pace, the artwork and the characters of a show. Therefore, instead of the three episode rule, I use the one episode rule.

I imagine this stops you from watching a lot of good animes then...

But it stopped me from watching more bad anime than good ones.
Sep 26, 2016 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
aqing0601 said:
I do agree, the first episode can tell you the pace, the artwork and the characters of a show. Therefore, instead of the three episode rule, I use the one episode rule.

If you think the first episode is always a good indication of pacing, artwork and characters you're going to be in for some rude awakenings.

With Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress probably being the latest offender. A show that starts with pretty decent pacing, animation and characters, then simply goes to shit on all three, after only 5 or 6 episodes.
Sep 26, 2016 5:27 AM

Jul 2014
Wensbane said:
aqing0601 said:

If you think the first episode is always a good indication of pacing, artwork and characters you're going to be in for some rude awakenings.

With Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress probably being the latest offender. A show that starts with pretty decent pacing, animation and characters, then simply goes to shit on all three, after only 5 or 6 episodes.

Then I drop it at that episode when it goes to shit.
Sep 26, 2016 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
romagia said:
KaiserNazrin said:

Yeah, sure but let's not forget that fact that people gave it high rating because they find it great. The original rank 11 anyway so even with all the "people who don't like it" watching it, it still managed to rank high.

Sep 26, 2016 5:30 AM

Nov 2008
It doesn't make that much difference how you treat it, if you don't feel like watching something because of it premise than what's wrong with dropping the series. I try not be shortsighted so I rarely drop anything from first episode.
Also animes like Steins;Gate that are "slow" starters that have interesting enough premise to keep you going are better in my opinion, if you're ten years old and want edgy starts than you can watch tons of shows like it, Re:zero being best example now, but the former are just so much supreme in progression, character building and actual plot being firm.
You could actually compare Onepunchman and Mob here from the same author, first drives a whole series based on it's cool concept which gets you from the start, second tries to slowly buy you with much better progression and character building. I enjoyed both, but I appreciate a lot more the second one.
Sep 26, 2016 5:31 AM

Feb 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
romagia said:

Yeah, sure but let's not forget that fact that people gave it high rating because they find it great.
it wouldnt have got so many seasons if they didnt =p
full circle
Sep 26, 2016 5:35 AM

Nov 2009
worldeditor11 said:
Well, I use the 3 minutes or OP-only system. Sometimes both.

For complete anime (as opposed to ongoing anime) I recommend an AMV system.
It's easy to apply: go to Youtube, watch random AMV, watch another AMV that Youtube recommends... continue until you find yourself wanting to watch an anime depicted in an AMV.
It's totally unreliable, but who cares?
Sep 26, 2016 5:39 AM

Jan 2016
Wensbane said:
aqing0601 said:

The first episode of Kabaneri is interesting but I would call it average. The artwork is the only really standout.
Sep 26, 2016 5:41 AM

Nov 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
Well, with the first part you just said "The first episode is a good indicator except when it's not". That doesn't make any sense.
Of course, I disagree. If episode 1 was a good indicator of the quality we wouldn't need MAL, professional critics, etc.

We don't need professional critics.
We only need MAL to keep track of the hundreds of titles we've seen - it doesn't have anything approaching the functionality of anidb's tag system, and numerical ratings aren't a useful prediction of whether you will like an anime.
Sep 26, 2016 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
Lord_Sithis said:

We don't need professional critics.
We only need MAL to keep track of the hundreds of titles we've seen - it doesn't have anything approaching the functionality of anidb's tag system, and numerical ratings aren't a useful prediction of whether you will like an anime.
True about MAL, but many people use it (and critics) to have a relative measure of the quality of an anime. Do you imagine if Mars of Destruction was a series and its first episode was good? Many people would assume the anime is high quality and...
Sep 26, 2016 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
CapitalistGod said:

The first episode of Kabaneri is interesting but I would call it average. The artwork is the only really standout.

That's not the point. The point is that the first episode looks like a masterpiece compared to the last. On pretty much all fronts.

In other words: If you think the first episode is indicative of anything, you're gonna be "crying" pretty damn hard, later on.
Sep 26, 2016 5:52 AM
Sep 2015
Hell no. Don't believe that Digibro videos.

For example Paranoia Agent first 3 episodes was really really interesting, exciting, and thrilling. But the show fall flat and boring on episode 4 onwards.

Also Kabaneri. the first few episode were interesting enough. But the second half ruined by a single character. Biba.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Sep 26, 2016 5:54 AM

Jan 2016
Wensbane said:
CapitalistGod said:

That's not the point. The point is that the first episode looks like a masterpiece compared to the last. On pretty much all fronts.

In other words: If you think the first episode is indicative of anything, you're gonna be "crying" pretty damn hard, later on.

Hmmmm... it's first episode made me think that it will have asspulls after asspulls to maintain the "coolness" of the show that was already established from the first episode, alone. It just happens that it was a bad kind of asspull(and there's the only surprise there).

Programmer69 said:
Hell no. Don't believe that Digibro videos.

Ever since I started watching anime... I've been gauging the (potential) quality of anime by it's pilot episode.. you know. and that's 2 years ago. That Digibro video just reinforces my views on the subject.
ethotSep 26, 2016 6:00 AM
Sep 26, 2016 6:04 AM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:
Pullman said:

Idk, that's like saying you can watch one standalone romantic comedy movie and predict the quality of 11 other standalone romantic comedy movies based on that one movie. Which to me makes a lot less sense than being able to have accurate expectations for one particular movie and its continuous storyline after the first 10-20 minutes.
And that doesn't even take into account that episodic shows can have very varying genres between their individual episodes so they can have even less in common than a bunch of different standalone movies of the same genre.

However if all it is about is predictability and expectations, it is reasonable to rely on your expectations when a show follows a clear formula, just as much (more, maybe?) than through a continuous storyline. At least a continuous storyline can offer twists and changes of focus halfway through. Of course, lots of episodic shows are not that static, but the point is, if you can infer the overall quality of a continuous storyline, you should be able to do the same with a show you expect to be stuck on a repetitive formula. I don't say it's accurate, it's nothing more or less than an indicator.

I think a 'formula' (what exactly does that even mean? I'm thinking of Human Crossing and 'showing struggles of everyday normal people living in the same city', for example) is much vaguer than knowing the setting, premise, overall direction of the story, genres and main cast and basing your expectations on that. It almost to 100% depends on the execution of every single episode, on the creativity in terms of not becoming repetitive or stale with that formula and continuously innovating it. Those things are just impossible to know beforehand unless someone tells you so. To talk about your Mushishi example, in retrospect yes, the first episode is a good indicator but that's only because the show happens to be amazingly consistent as a whole which is not something you could have known after the first episode. And even with that being said I've seen people have wide varieties of opinions on individual Mushishi episodes. Some of them are a 5 or 6 to them and others a clear 10. Depending on which of those is the first one the first impression can vary a lot from the overall impression of the show. You will rarely get that much variation from individual episodes in a continuous show.
On the other hand when I watch the first episode and I see a wimpy MC, a bunch of cutout heroine archetypes, some ecchi scenes and some vague action-based storyline about our main cast vs evil organization XY there would have to happen a LOT for me to be pleasantly surprised with any future developments. I don't know the exact things that are going to happen, but I know exactly what to expect in general of the remainder of the show.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I love it when a show shows clear signs of being a battle shounen in the first episode because I know that any tropes and developments I can expect from it will be something I enjoy. Tournaments, power levels, enemies-turning-into-nakamas, hierarchical orgaizations, whatever, bring it on and I'll love it. But that doesn't change the fact that I know from the start what the rest of the show will be like, in a vague sense. Unless something exceptional happens my enjoyment of the show will not be that different from my expectations at any given point in time.

Pullman said:
The other thing is that for me, and I think a lot of people, characters are what really make or break a show in terms of enjoyment and episodic shows can swap out their whole cast every single episode in some cases, or in others swap out every character except for the main. Not enjoying the character interactions and support cast of one episode doesn't have to mean anything for the next episode.

It depends. Some episodic shows are very focused on a few character interactions, while some try to focus on one or two on each episode. Some have a very informative first episode that sets every character's perspective, some introduce new characters constantly. It's hard to make the same case for all of them.

Well yeah, but imo that can be seen as them just not being fully episodic in the way I described below. There are different degrees of being episodic imo. If the first episode introduces all the characters then you already have a pretty big sense of continuity in that regard, since the cast is constant. I see that as a semi-episodic show at best.

Pullman said:
Also, again, what you call the common formula is usually what the synopsis will tell you about so you don't even need to watch the first episode if that basic premise of the show is not to your liking.

Yes and no. I mean, the synopsis/premise is limited information in comparison with an actual experience. It tells you what the series is about but not how it is, the overall execution of the elements. You need to watch at least an episode for that.

Yeah but the execution is not the formula, the formula (as I understand it) is just like the basic glue tying the episodes together in a loose way. Like the Mushi in Mushishi, everyday problems of normal people in Human Crossing, 'each girl's bittersweet experience of first love' in Sentimental Journey etc... But the execution can vary from episode to episode so episode 1 doesn't take a special position in that regard. Liking the formula doesn't have to have any effect on liking the individual episodes. The formula is what makes you interested in the show before you watch it, the execution and how consistent it is, is what makes you like or dislike it

Pullman said:
Mind you, I'm talking mostly about real episodic shows, not just shows that don't have a main plot but generally the same, growing cast and no complete resets between each episode. Those shows often get grouped together but I don't consider most random slice of life shows episodic just because there is no strict continuity and plot. I'm talking about stuff like Human Crossing, Mushishi, Master Keaton and the likes. Where you can literally watch every episode on their own without feeling any difference.

It's funny, because Mushishi would be an example I'd make about an anime with a first episode that is a great indicator of overall quality, and this has remained true for me due to the homogeneous level of quality the series has. The thing is, with that first episode alone you know how the tone is set, you know what to expect, what kind of mood the show looks for, how it deals with narrative and emotions, how it uses art and animation... I think it's a very blatant example of a show that sells everything it has to in its first episode, and from then on you can decide if what it offers is for you or not.

As I said earlier, Mushishi just happens to be fairly consistent overall but you can't know that without watching more than one episode because of the episodic nature.

Pullman said:
And I'm not saying you can't make any judgments or set expectations with episodic shows, just to a much lesser degree than with other types of shows. At least that's true for me. I can count the times I've been completely wrong about how a show would turn out after the first episode on one hand but with truly episodic shows there are always a wide range of episodes and even the worse shows will have some episodes that stood out to me. And it's not about predicting specific plot developments, but the overall kind of plot we will see, which tropes are likely to show up, which character archetypes, the frequency of crazy twists etc... If you can predict that for a dozen unrelated episodes after watching the first standalone episode just as well as you can do it for a dozen continuous episodes after you got to know the setting, cast, basic plot and other elements that lay the foundation for the rest of the show, then I tip my hat to you. I just know I can't. There just is LESS to predict overall when you don't have any plot or even support character continuity.

But why are continuous storylines more predictable compared with episodic shows? I'm not taking specifics here, of course lots, most maybe, episodic series are unpredictable and they keep bringing fresh stuff. However I find it strange that you assume there will be a huge degree of variety and dynamism in these shows and yet assume as well that a continuous story can offer everything it has to in terms of intricacies, focus and development from the first episode alone; even if there is foreshadowing it is limited, even if there is character focus it's not enough, and etc.

Well, I've just experienced it hundreds of times, I know all the tropes associated with certain types of anime so once I know what type of show it is I can usually have a certain range of expectations and it will almost never happen that a show doesn't stick to those expectations. I know what to expect if a show is set up like a typical battle shounen, a typical sports, a typical rom-com, a typical battle harem, a typical cute girl slice of life show. As I previously said I think most of the time you can already know that based on what you can know about the show before you start it, but the synopsis and tags don't always give that away. The first episode almost always makes it very clear which kind of show it's going to be tho, and by extension what kind of focus, tropes, archetypes, developments are in the realm of possibility and what kind of things just won't happen. And by knowing my preferences it lets me know whether the show will be enjoyable, might be enjoyable, or will not be enjoyable for me. I mean most people do similar things when picking a show, watching the first episode is just an extension of that because occasionally I've come across shows that were insufficiently tagged or had a wrong synopsis and instead of 'comedy, seinen' it was actually 'comedy, ecchi, seinen'. oI don't need more than one episode to figure that out and drop the show because I don't like ecchi. That's just how it is in my experience. Exceptions just prove the rule to me.

Anime in particular just tends to be fairly formulaic, and that is part of why I love it. When I know I love every possible trope related to battle shounen and sports anime I just know I'll never be disappointed if I pick up a show like that. And also I know that avoiding battle harems or dropping a show based on unexpected ecchi elements I will almost never miss out on something I might have enjoyed because I avoid these shows based on knowing I don't like their tropes.

I should probably mention that plots are 99% of the time an afterthought to me so I don't care about predicting or not predicting specific events or twists. It's all about knowing the range of a show, what overall elements are possibly going to be a factor in the future, and those just tend to be very dependent on the kind of show it is. Genres, what kind of source material etc... VNs have lots of similarities for examples just based on their structure and it usually shows in their adaptions as well. To name one example that doesn't refer to genres.

With truly episodic shows one episode doesn't indicate how the next episode will be. Over and over again I've watched episodic shows with individual episodes ranging from 4/10 to 10/10 and depending on which of them is the first episode the expectatiosn for the rest may be too low or too high, which is why I don't expect anything for future episodes based on what I've seen. Once I've seen a bunch of episodes and figured out that, for example Mushishi, just doesn't have episodes I'd consider sub-par, I'll start expecting it to keep up that quality, but one episode is not enough to judge the most important factor of episodic shows, which is consistency. For every Mushishi there is a Space Dandy that until the end never made me able to know what to expect because the episodes were so wildly different and varying in quality.

The bottomline is that I have experienced both cases too often to not be confident in my stance on this. It might be different for you and others, but to me it's just how I described it. Has been for quite some time. Partly because I've seen a shitton of almost every conceivable type of anime, partly because I know my own preferences very well, partly because plot is almost always secondary to me compared to other elements and partly because I'm never wrong :>.

KaiserNazrin said:
romagia said:

Yeah, sure but let's not forget that fact that people gave it high rating because they find it great. The original rank 11 anyway so even with all the "people who don't like it" watching it, it still managed to rank high.

its stockholm syndrome. Once you spent so much time on watch hundreds of episodes you feel obliged to justify that time you wasted by convincing yourself it was well worth it.

On a more serious note all you need for a high rating like that is to not make people able to find the show just okay or nothing special. People who finish it will almost always rate it very highly, and the rest will drop it. Length can definitely increase that factor but 'love it or hate it but care for it one way or the other' is usually the recipe for success of most of the top 10 or top 20 shows.
AlcoholicideSep 26, 2016 6:13 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2016 6:23 AM

Apr 2014
You're not fooling anybody, Digibro.
Sep 26, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2010
Nothing to discuss or disagree with then, @Pullman. You have a wider experience as a viewer and your points stand on more solid grounds than mine. Nice conversation, as always.
Sep 26, 2016 6:26 AM
Apr 2016
No it isn't. A first episode can be good but that doesn't mean it can't go to shit right after and it can get worst from there. That is one of the reasons the whole 3 episode rule exist in the first place cause some stuff won't pick up until it is a couple of episodes in

Sep 26, 2016 6:30 AM

Sep 2014
JoshuaJones16 said:
No it isn't. A first episode can be good but that doesn't mean it can't go to shit right after and it can get worst from there. That is one of the reasons the whole 3 episode rule exist in the first place cause some stuff won't pick up until it is a couple of episodes in

Well generally speaking(outside of the special evaluation I do for special cases), I go by the 4 ep rule myself, but anyway, exactly, It's why such rules exist in the first place.
Sep 26, 2016 6:32 AM

May 2016
Some of the best anime ever made have had lousy or subpar first episodes:

Fate/Zero, Berserk, Gungrave, Now and Then Here and There, Fantastic Children, Azumanga Daioh, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Princess Tutu, FMA: Brotherhood, etc.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 26, 2016 6:41 AM

Feb 2016
I follow the 3 episode rule, but honestly the first episode should give you a pretty good indication of what to expect in terms of art style, overall feel, etc. Very rarely has a show with a terrible first ep turned around to surprise me, and only occasionally does a really strong first ep turn into a terrible series in my experience Even rarely have any defied expectations one way or the other or completely shifted from what was portrayed in the first ep (Tower of Druaga being a good example). The shows I drop after 3 I usually have a strong indication I'll be dropping after 1 but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I do wonder how many anime watchers who harp on watching the entire series even if it's crap or following the 3 episode or other minimum rules extend the same courtesy to regular television shows. "How can you say CSI Burbank is a terrible spinoff of a terrible series? You only watched half of one episode! Something something time to develop the plot something something"
Sep 26, 2016 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Zelkiiro said:

Fate/Zero, Berserk, Gungrave, Now and Then Here and There, Fantastic Children, Azumanga Daioh, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Princess Tutu, FMA: Brotherhood, etc.

Yes, lets not forget The Twelve Kingdoms, which the 1st ep is more or less just the main female char crying or whatnot(it all makes sense for the context of how everything is going down, but neverless this is literally the last thing people want to see in a anime)
Sep 26, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2013
Zoltor said:
Zelkiiro said:

Yes, lets not forget The Twelve Kingdoms, which the 1st ep is more or less just the main female char crying or whatnot(it all makes sense for the context of how everything is going down, but neverless this is literally the last thing people want to see in a anime)
u sure about that? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i dont have a lenny face big enough for this
Sep 26, 2016 6:50 AM

May 2009
Not really. I generally don't like the first episode of anime I do watch. Heck, half the time I don't like the first chapter of a book.
Sep 26, 2016 6:53 AM
Aug 2015
sasalx said:
No it's not and Steins;Gate is the biggest example for this.That's why there is a rule called "3 episode rule."

You just can't expect to see plot with it's full glory by only watching one episode.

Steins;gate first episode is actually quite good. lul

Pullman said:
Is Steins;Gate really seen as a good counterexample for this? I knew from ep 1 on that I'd enjoy the show a lot (well even before that because it's about time travel and I always enjoy that kind of stuff, but that's a different story). Okabe was just immensely entertaining and I loved his character from the start and he remained the main reason for why I loved the show throughout all the episodes.

Yeah, I seriously don't understand the "gets better after 13 episodes" statement either. Steins;gate was interesting and entertaining from the very start. If anything, it got repetitive when the time traveling started, but was smart enough to keep it interesting each episode, unlike a certain series made by the same studio which came out this very year.
Sep 26, 2016 6:55 AM

May 2016
Zoltor said:
Zelkiiro said:

Well, I can't vouch for Twelve Kingdoms because I haven't seen it. ;)

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 26, 2016 6:56 AM

Sep 2014
romagia said:
Zoltor said:

Yea, pretty damn sure, that, and other similar stuff to such, is why the Shoujo genre has such a bad rep. nearly all the shoujo anime people actually know of, don't do things like that, but Sailor Moon, one of the first shoujos, and easily the most famous one, is basically all about this, and drama queen nonsense, so despite the fact very few shoujo anime do this, because the most well one does, the anime community as a whole, will not take the genre seriously(and most of the time, will outright avoid the genre altogether).
Sep 26, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2015
the 1st episode is a very good indicator.
unless they make drastic changes midway, you know what you're getting into right off the bat.
And no, there is no rule, you dont need 3 eps.
Despite the length 1cour, 2, 100+ long, if the 1st ep cant make you feel the need to watch more of this, its not worth it.

Also characters, you need to like them instantly.
Sep 26, 2016 7:04 AM

Sep 2014
Zelkiiro said:
Zoltor said:

OMG, you so need to watch it, It's a masterpiece in so many ways, it also has the best world building aspect ever, as well as 2 of the top 4 greatest support characters ever created(one of them being the #1 spot holder). The support characters in this are so great, literally everything out of their mouths are quotable, and they speak with a philosophical tongue, making it all the more awesome.
Sep 26, 2016 7:21 AM

Feb 2013
Zoltor said:
romagia said:

Yea, pretty damn sure, that, and other similar stuff to such, is why the Shoujo genre has such a bad rep. nearly all the shoujo anime people actually know of, don't do things like that, but Sailor Moon, one of the first shoujos, and easily the most famous one, is basically all about this, and drama queen nonsense, so despite the fact very few shoujo anime do this, because the most well one does, the anime community as a whole, will not take the genre seriously(and most of the time, will outright avoid the genre altogether).
for all its worth, sailor moon is just the 21th most popular shoujo on MAL, and there are a handful of popular high rated shoujo i always hear good stuff about (ouran, nana, akagami, skip beat, natsume)

i dunno bout drama queen nonsense and whatnot, but the lenny face was implying that shoujo protag crying is a turn on..
on reddit at least lenny face implies perverted stuff but it seems that interpretation is not as universal as i thought

Zoltor said:
Zelkiiro said:

OMG, you so need to watch it, It's a masterpiece in so many ways, it also has the best world building aspect ever, as well as 2 of the top 4 greatest support characters ever created(one of them being the #1 spot holder). The support characters in this are so great, literally everything out of their mouths are quotable, and they speak with a philosophical tongue, making it all the more awesome.
heh... i know you aren't 1000‰ serious, but this reminds me why the thread "If view on anime is subjective, why don't people just say they like or dislike anime instead of calling it good or bad?" should permanently be on the first page;
top 4 greatest ever created =/= top 4 in your opinion from what you watched
Sep 26, 2016 7:32 AM

Aug 2015
Absolutely not

There are plenty of anime I've seen where I thought the first episode was a 10/10, but after watching the show a bit more, I realized it actually was quite bad

An example being Big Order.
Sep 26, 2016 7:33 AM

Sep 2014
romagia said:
Zoltor said:

for all its worth, sailor moon is just the 21th most popular shoujo on MAL, and there are a handful of popular high rated shoujo i always hear good stuff about (ouran, nana, akagami, skip beat, natsume)

i dunno bout drama queen nonsense and whatnot, but the lenny face was implying that shoujo protag crying is a turn on..
on reddit at least lenny face implies perverted stuff but it seems that interpretation is not as universal as i thought

Zoltor said:

heh... i know you aren't 1000‰ serious, but this reminds me why the thread "If view on anime is subjective, why don't people just say they like or dislike anime instead of calling it good or bad?" should permanently be on the first page;

Nana Isn't a shoujo.

Oh yes I'm 1000% serious, Rakushun says hi. Come on, you can't possibly be denying the fact, that he's a downright godly support character.

It's not even debatable by any stretch of the imagination.
ZoltorSep 26, 2016 7:59 AM
Sep 26, 2016 7:48 AM

Feb 2013
Zoltor said:
romagia said:

Nana Isn't a shouja.

Oh yes I'm 1000% serious, Rakushun says hi. Come on, you can't possibly be denying the fact, that he's a downright godly support character.

It's not even debatable by any stretch of the imagination.
maybe 1000‱ serious =p

nana is indeed an odd case, but the ancient gods of the database ruled it as a shoujo
probably because the ja.wikipedia page of Cookie (the magazine which serialized Nana) calls it a shoujo magazine and is more believable than the english wikipedia which calls it a josei
Sep 26, 2016 8:05 AM
Nov 2014
Well, you can't make diamond from a pile of shit. So if the first episode is extremely bad, then there isn't much chance of it getting any better. But if it just starts out as meh, then it can still be saved.
Sep 26, 2016 8:10 AM

Sep 2014
cookies0 said:
Well, you can't make diamond from a pile of shit. So if the first episode is extremely bad, then there isn't much chance of it getting any better. But if it just starts out as meh, then it can still be saved.

Something tells me, most of the anime you watch, is little OVAs, and like 13 episode anime?

The longer a anime is(as long as it doesn't break the 200 ep mark), the higher the odds of the 1st episode, having absolutely no baring on how good the overall anime is.
Sep 26, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2009
No it really depends. The first episode is just an opening or impression so the quality of a show is not solely indicated by only seeing 1/12? of the whole package.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Sep 26, 2016 9:09 AM

Mar 2016
Kind of a shame that Digibro gets the credit for this idea because it's just common sense that a series of episodes all made by the same staff are going to be similar in quality to one another. A bad writer or director can't randomly become inspired halfway through. Most counter-examples seem to have to do with plot, but that's not the point. That being said making up rules for yourself is incredibly stupid. Drop it when you want.
Sep 26, 2016 9:14 AM
Nov 2014
Zoltor said:
cookies0 said:

Something tells me, most of the anime you watch, is little OVAs, and like 13 episode anime?

The longer a anime is(as long as it doesn't break the 200 ep mark), the higher the odds of the 1st episode, having absolutely no baring on how good the overall anime is.

No, not exactly. And I'd be crazy to spend hours on an anime just to find out whether I like it or not. The anime is already a failure if it needs that much time just to get started.

This is entertainment, and not work.
Sep 26, 2016 9:21 AM

Sep 2014
cookies0 said:
Zoltor said:

No, not exactly. And I'd be crazy to spend hours on an anime just to find out whether I like it or not. The anime is already a failure if it needs that much time just to get started.

Wow really, that's really what you think? Then you must really hate anime with a lot of backstory/ a prelude, as well as any anime that has a slower pace to such ingeneral.
Sep 26, 2016 9:27 AM

Sep 2015
Essentially, a first episode should be solid. Theoretically, a first impression is given by the first few episodes of the anime. But then you get shows like Gintama where the first 30 episodes are just a turn-off.
Sep 26, 2016 9:32 AM
Nov 2014
Zoltor said:
cookies0 said:

Wow really, that's really what you think? Then you must really hate anime with a lot of backstory/ a prelude, as well as any anime that has a slower pace to such ingeneral.

Oh, the classic "u must h8 animu!!".
No, I don't hate it, and you know that as well. You are just intentionally misrepresenting my point to make it easier to attack.

I know I did the same. Now you should know how annoying it is.

Let me clarify it, if I hate the first few episodes of an anime, then chances are that I'm also going to hate the rest of it. It's the same as if someone who dislikes ecchi starts watching an anime, and the first episodes are filled with sexual fanservice. He will obviously dislike it, and the chances are that the show won't be enjoyable to him even if he continues to suffer through 20+ episodes of it.
Sep 26, 2016 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
In terms of quality no, there are tons of shows that start out great but then fail to keep that level of quality. However i will agree that if a anime has a mediocre (or bad) first episode, then it is very likely that it will be a bad show and you have the right to drop it if you want.
Sep 26, 2016 9:53 AM

Jun 2014
Nope, at least not for me.

I had to get at least 4 episodes into Ranma 1/2 before I started liking it at all, and nearly 13 episodes into Kimagure Orange Road before it got interesting.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What happened to shonen after DBZ ended but before One Piece started ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

15 by JoeChip »»
59 seconds ago

» Happy Yuri Day

henmwats - 44 minutes ago

8 by Stomiks »»
1 minute ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - 5 hours ago

19 by Tropisch »»
4 minutes ago

» Bad dialogues

JoeChip - Yesterday

15 by Jackson1333 »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you love most about your waifu or husbando ?

tchitchouan - Jun 20

15 by Stomiks »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.