Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2016 7:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow this episode. Velvet does show up after all (I remember reading about it before)

This definitely felt different than the other episodes as it chronicles Velvet's adventures. Quite a badass too. Almost felt like watching a mini movie this episode. Ufotable put quite a bit of effort and I think they did a fairly well job at depicting her adventure and goal to defeat her enemy. Seres also seems like an interesting character as an ally of Velvet. I also find it interesting at how tough Velvet's resolve is to defeat her enemy.
Stark700Aug 7, 2016 7:58 AM
Aug 7, 2016 7:58 AM

Jul 2011
Amazing start to Velvet's story. When she devoured those monsters, god, that gave me goosebumps. Great episode.
And for them to play White Light too! Haha.
Aug 7, 2016 8:01 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The fangasms will be real with this!

Holy shit, Velvet is badass, VA is badass, she looks amazing! More of her please!
Aug 7, 2016 8:21 AM

Apr 2010
White Light > Kaze no Uta. Just sayin.
Aug 7, 2016 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
this episode just make me want to play Tales of Berseria
bruh
Aug 7, 2016 8:24 AM

Dec 2014
That was great, Excellent start to Velvet's story. Loved the prison breakout.

Velvet is awesome, I love her design, She looks real badass and she is one for that matter. Her voice suits her so well.

Episode felt like a real prologue(promo?) to Breseria and it's gotten me even more hyped about it XD
In fact the beginning was very similar to a segment from the Tales of Breseria 'The Flame' trailer.

Not sure why they had the Zestiria montage towards the end.

So we're getting more Velvet next week as well (I'm not complaining :P). Guess we'll go back to Zestiria after that, I wanna know what happens there as well xD

That Velvet smile in the PV <3
Aug 7, 2016 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
Velvet and Lailah are the best girls

Velvet's arm is pretty cool

Aug 7, 2016 8:30 AM

Nov 2014
I dont understand why they are playing White Light on a Berseria episode but Im not complaining its nice to here it again.

Hoping we get a Big AAAAARRRRRRTOOOOOOORIIIIIIUUUUUUUUSSSS shout from Velveto next episode
royaldocksAug 7, 2016 8:56 AM
Aug 7, 2016 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
Aye Velvet is super hot. Forgot the red chicks name but I like her too.
Aug 7, 2016 8:49 AM

Jun 2013
Inori_is_love said:
Aye Velvet is super hot. Forgot the red chicks name but I like her too.

Seres but you can call her Lailah too.

royaldocks said:
Hoping we get a a big AAAAARRRRRRTOOOOOOORIIIIIIUUUUUUUUSSSS next episode from Velvet

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags and merged posts.
ShockedAug 10, 2016 9:15 AM
Aug 7, 2016 9:01 AM
Nov 2012
Tbh, I loved this episode and Velvet's story seems much more interesting than Sorey's, but this is so out of place :/ they should have done a separated OAV or something if they really wanted to animate the beginning of Berseria.
Aug 7, 2016 9:09 AM

Sep 2010
This episode sure came out of nowhere before I get to it though I so appreciate the White Light opening appearing in the anime. Now everyone will be able to appreciate the greatness.

As for this episode, I definitely have mixed feeling about it. From the look of it the story of Velvet will be much more interesting than the one in tales of Zestria and at the same time Sorey is nowhere as good of an MC as Velvet in both character and especially the appearance.

STILL.

This is tales of Zestiria anime isn't it. No matter how good the second story is, don't interrupt the first one! From the look of it the second story won't be connected directly to the first story so we will generally have two animes inside a single anime. Unless the story connect to each other directly = characters meeting each other, then this will be rather disappointing as it will be clear that those animes are simply promotions for the game.

... Hmmm... I am complaining about best anime episode that I have seen in a while this sure is strange. So let's end this comment on the note that ignoring everything this episode on it's own was fantastic!!

No one can blame the studio either, the game is coming out at 18th this month after all.
Aug 7, 2016 9:10 AM

Jul 2014
Is this even related to what they've showed so far? Cos so far this seems pretty random, pointless and downright irrelevant.

EDIT: Mind you, it's not easy to understand when the only available and working video is in Spanish for some stupid reason.

EDIT: Finally available in English, so maybe it'll make more sense now.
AtavisticAug 7, 2016 9:43 AM
Aug 7, 2016 9:21 AM
Jul 2015
Damn, Velvet have a killer personality. Not to mention, her on the preview hahaha.

I just died of fan grilling when they played the Zestiria opening. One of the good crap in the game.

Can't wait.

danieltortoisee said:
Is this even related to what they've showed so far? Cos so far this seems pretty random, pointless and downright irrelevant.

EDIT: Mind you, it's not easy to understand when the only available and working video is in Spanish for some stupid reason.

If u watched the preview from last week's episode, they even told you in the preview.

Plus the new game is set hundred years before Zesty.
BlackPunisher76Aug 7, 2016 9:33 AM
Aug 7, 2016 9:21 AM
Jul 2015
danieltortoisee said:

They want to advertise for the upcoming game and nothing else really, this should have been a separate OVA but namco producers are still stupid.
Dab1za9Aug 7, 2016 9:35 AM
Aug 7, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
I don't get what they're planning on this one. They're gonna take Zestiria in another direction with the span of 12 episodes and they insert random stuff like this. So far, with the previous episodes it's clear that they did make some changes which made it better than the game imo.
Is it gonna have another cour or what
Aug 7, 2016 9:34 AM

Jun 2011
XeusDementia said:

Is it gonna have another cour or what

It's confirmed to be split cour. Next cour will air in winter
Aug 7, 2016 9:48 AM

Jun 2016
I think it would be better for Tales of Berseria to get its' own adaptation since it seems out of place. So far, the story and the MC is much much more interesting than the one in Tales of Zestiria.

I wasn't even expecting White Light, Tales of Zestiria game opening, to appear towards the end. I was quite happy of how White Light appeared.

Aug 7, 2016 9:53 AM

Aug 2010
After watching this episode, i'm hoping they drop Zestiria's story and make it a Berseria one haha.

This is already more entertaining than the past 5 episodes. A revenge plot line is far from being new or original, but who says it needs to be to be enjoyable. Just the right amount of intrigue to make me really excited for the next episode. And, to be honest, this is a first for me with this adaptation so far.

Velvet's character, as a base, is good. I'm not curious about her past, that much seems predictable, but i'm interested in her character development in the game.

Congratulations, ufo, you made me interested in Berseria. Mission accomplished.

8.5/10... nah, make that a 9/10 for White Light.

danieltortoisee said:

There's that shot of Velvet's arm oozing that black miasma and Seres commenting about how Velvet "may spread Malevolence across the world".

It looks like the next episode will go deeper into the connection with Zestiria.
astroprogsAug 7, 2016 10:00 AM
Aug 7, 2016 10:00 AM

Jul 2014
Watched all the pvs for Tales of Berseria so I understood what was happening. I hope they at least show Eizen, as he is somewhat important in Zestiria to a certain main character not shown yet.

Love listening to White Light. Hope they have Burn as an op/ed next episode.
Aug 7, 2016 10:06 AM

Oct 2014
So we went from the Tale of Arthur to Prison Break, huh?
I was kinda confused, since it did kinda come out of nowhere and was a pretty strong shift, especially since i was expecting a continuation of Arthur's Adventure. I wonder how they will connect Arthur's Tale with the Trio Prison breaking.

Also, Velvet smile in the preview came out of nowhere xD
Aug 7, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2014
Properly watched this time and it does seem pretty interesting but I can't convince myself to care until they explain or show how these two separate stories are connected outside of being set in the same universe as each other.

Also, thanks new OP for all those potentially massive spoilers. Thanks a fucking bunch.
Aug 7, 2016 10:11 AM

Aug 2007
Wow that felt like the first hour of the game. I got to say I'm impress I really wish the game was coming out in english this year. I got to say I'm curious on what Seres meant at the end with malevolence it really feels like it will be a good prequel. I got to say I'm really excited for the next ep more of Velvet can't be a bad thing.
Aug 7, 2016 10:11 AM

Aug 2011
This was an awesome episode! It gives me a lot of hope for Berseria! Zestiria had a suckish story and characters I didn't really care for (Except for Dezel and Zaveid). It was definitely the worst Tales game I have played, but Berseria looks soooooo promising to me. I'm very sure that this will be a great game.

At least show Berseria's game intro at the end, not Zestiria's; that's trolling right there.

I really love Velvet, definitely already a better protagonist with room for character development, unlike Sorey.
Aug 7, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2012
Man the game's op is really better than what the show normally has
Aug 7, 2016 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
While I did find this episode interesting, I really do think they should have made this its own separate thing. I think the whole point of the part of the title that says "the X" actually being read as "the cross" is because they wanted to crossover these 2 games, but I feel like they should have just continued with Zestiria's story and promote this with an OVA. That's probably why this is split cour, they're taking away time for Zestiria's story to promote this one so they'll need more than just 7 more episodes to tell the story properly. However, I did like the episode and Velvet seems pretty badass, so I'll look forward to the next episode anyway.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 7, 2016 10:22 AM

Jul 2014
Jesus christ that OST! waaaaay fcking better than the OP! please keep the new OP! KEEP IT!!!
Aug 7, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2012
Now I want a full Berseria anime even more, I wish the game come out earlier then early next year D:
Aug 7, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2007
So finally we reach the episode that is the sole reason Zestiria got an adaptation. Yay for promoting games via anime adaptations.

Anyway, How to recognize how bad Zestria s a story is both in terms of characters and storyline?

When an episode focused on promoting a game that is NOT Zestiria literally is the best one in the series so far and the character from Berseria already trumps over pretty much entire bland Zestiria cast.

Othewise usual problems still persist with the show(directing is so so, CGi scenery overuse is blatantly bad looking and its all sfx), but it still remains a solid popcorn timewaster.
Still hoping Ufo just abandons the rest of Zestiria's trainwrecky story and just crafts something new that involves more Alisha screentime and more velvet.
4/5

Dec 2012
The Opening they use this episode was from the game
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.

Sep 2014
That was really good and way different that Zestiria.I also agree this should have been a different series or at least an OVA and it was way better than Zestiria.Velvet looks really cool and badass MC way better than Sorey and I also like her party more so far.
Aug 7, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Felt like I was watching a completely different anime. This was a lot more interesting than all the other stuff with Sorey. I don't really understand why they had to cross the two stories together. I would've much preferred a separate adaptation after seeing this episode.

I just feel so lost having never played the games. So many new things I have no clue about like exorcists and Daemons or whatever they were called.

Aslo Velvet is badass. I love her character design <3
Aug 7, 2016 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
Velvet appeared :O this episode was awesome with a cool story for velvet. This should have its own show though
Game op :)
removed-userAug 7, 2016 10:57 AM
Aug 7, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2014
The game's OP is so badass.

This episode was great. I suppose I can deal with not seeing Mikleo for one more week...

Dec 2009
Man this was the best episode yet, loved getting Tales of Berseria backstory, makes me even more hyped for the game. Velvet seems like a really badass character, I'm glad she's the first "Sole Lead" female character in a Tales game.

Jul 2015
danieltortoisee said:

Tales of Berseria and Zestiria take place in the same timeline, so yes, they are connected.
It's okay to smirk

Aug 7, 2016 11:01 AM

Jul 2007
-Dizzy- said:
Felt like I was watching a completely different anime. This was a lot more interesting than all the other stuff with Sorey. I don't really understand why they had to cross the two stories together. I would've much preferred a separate adaptation after seeing this episode.

The sole reason Zestiria is being financed is as a promotion to Berseria.
Aug 7, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2014
This felt weirdly out of place for me, will it have any impact in Zestiria's storyline or something? After playing the game a while ago when it released I don't think it will but now I'm a bit confused

If they're doing these Velvet episodes just to generate hype for Berseria then well... I guess it's a nice marketing strategy and all but it really feels weird to shove it in the middle there for seemingly no reason at all / without any context
Aug 7, 2016 11:03 AM

Mar 2016
Are all the female characters in this anime badass 100% waifu material ? Lol
Anyways , good episode . It did seem a bit disconnected from the Tales of Zestiria story . But last week said that this episode is titled "The beginning of Calamity", so i guess it'll be connected to the tales of Zestiria story in one way or another
Aug 7, 2016 11:09 AM

Feb 2015
first of all, i'm a big fan of railgun. so when i heard Mikasa's and Kuroko's voice in this episode and moreover they were talking to eachother....i got a little bit fangasm xD
but seriously, The one with kuroko's voice, that red hair girl, not only looks hot, she looks cool too. and look at velvet determination. reminds me of someone.....but her voice was rather more calm than i expected to be.....i mean from the beginning, her voice always stayed calm. and i like that their voice sounds mature too.

the story is still vague to me but still, i'm looking foward to the next episode.
and god dammit that scene before the ending song came in, wtf did i just watch!!! that song and animation, was that the new opening ? the song was so good dammit xD
Aug 7, 2016 11:14 AM
Mar 2015
Tardivex said:
This felt weirdly out of place for me, will it have any impact in Zestiria's storyline or something? After playing the game a while ago when it released I don't think it will but now I'm a bit confused

If they're doing these Velvet episodes just to generate hype for Berseria then well... I guess it's a nice marketing strategy and all but it really feels weird to shove it in the middle there for seemingly no reason at all / without any context

It will connect the story with Zestiria obviously. We see her fight Sorey in the opening
Aug 7, 2016 11:26 AM

Nov 2009
I'm not a "feminist" by any stretch of the imagination but what's with anime and the need to make its female characters wear stripper outfits? It simply looks dumb, especially considering the tone and setting that they're trying to go for.
Aug 7, 2016 11:32 AM

Jul 2007
Tardivex said:

There's absolutely zero guarantee that this will follow Zestiria's story faithfully.

xenovibe said:
I'm not a "feminist" by any stretch of the imagination but what's with anime and the need to make its female characters wear stripper outfits? It simply looks dumb, especially considering the tone and setting that they're trying to go for.

Its a JRPG trope.
Aug 7, 2016 11:36 AM

Aug 2012
antonn said:
White Light > Kaze no Uta. Just sayin.

Defnitely. I mean, Kaze no Uta is good, but White Light is just on a different level.
.................................................................................
Aug 7, 2016 11:39 AM

Oct 2012
Velvet is awesome, and Seres seems cool too
Oh and looking forward to seeing Rokurou's skills with the Tempest Blade

Also didn't realize this was already confirmed for a split cour, but that's great new
Also I really liked White Light, and the visuals were so nice
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Aug 7, 2016 11:40 AM

Jul 2013
That was... a pretty interesting change of setting. Don't know how they will tied this storyline with the adventures of Sorey and the others, but I liked Velvet and her partners. Velvet in especial looks incredibly badass.

I was surprised when that opening appeared of nowhere, but it seems it's the original opening of the game. It was very catchy. I have the song stuck in my head right now.

Btw, I thought we won't have episode this week due the dialogue in the preview of the previous episode when Lailah, Sorey and Mikleo said they will took a rest. Didn't catch they refered that the episode would change of focus.
Aug 7, 2016 11:42 AM

Dec 2014
Emirius said:

It will connect the story with Zestiria obviously. We see her fight Sorey in the opening

Hmm good point, I forgot about that because I usually just watch ops once and then skip them on the other episodes
Aug 7, 2016 11:53 AM

Nov 2015
To be honest, i was mad that they suddenly switched to the Berseria story.
Though i calmed down when i saw the game opening at the end :D
Aug 7, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2011
Shingster said:
Wow have to say that the anime is still going on pretty strong.

This episode i felt was pretty good as the story is getting more interesting by the minute and i have a feeling that the chancellor would end up doing something bad in the future. The characters themselves still remain as interesting as ever especially Lailah who i find extremely funny.

The combat scenes for this episode was pretty well done and the fight against the bat monster in the ruins was pretty well done.

Although mostly minor i think that the difference between the anime and the game to which its derived from is starting to widen. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it expands on what was mentioned in the game

You're in the wrong episode discussion dude. :)
Aug 7, 2016 12:05 PM

Jan 2016
Really amazing episode, and seriously love the animation, superb!
And getting me more n more fascinated about this anime, to where it makes me wanna play the game as well.
Awesome Character design tho, fucking better then i expected when i say the character at first

Read little bit here n there, and guessing its a crossover ?? still havnt dropped my interest!

Really excited what next episode have to offer \ ^o^ /
Dead_By_HeartAug 7, 2016 12:19 PM
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

220 by bushman66 »»
Nov 22, 2023 11:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.