Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that far surpassed your expectations?

New
Jul 13, 2016 11:30 AM

May 2016
So, right now, I'm watching Hibike! Euphonium. I was expecting it to just be a more serious version of K-On!, but holy shit am I invested in this series. I literally just gasped at the results of the audition in episode 9, it has me by the balls that much. I was thinking it would turn out to simply be an enjoyable 7/10, but the score has gone way, way up from my initial impressions. And considering it's a high school slice-of-life series--already something I'm not usually inclined to enjoy--that just makes it all the more surprising to me.

What anime did YOU find yourself enjoying far more than you initially expected to?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 13, 2016 11:34 AM
Aug 2015
Shinsekai Yori - the usual go-to pick for this type of question

Attack on Titan - yeah... took a few episodes to get used to the ridiculousness and odd direction choices, such as the random character outbursts and the static images, which we thankfully saw less as the series progressed.
Jul 13, 2016 11:35 AM

Dec 2014
Steins;Gate I guess, It was too damn entertaining.
Thinking.....
Jul 13, 2016 11:37 AM

Sep 2015
I was relatively new to anime when I decided to watch steins gate! That story and foreshadowing just blew me away!
Jul 13, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Probably Rainbow and hajime no ippo
Jul 13, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
There are a ton

Gatchaman crowds
kill la kill
valvrave the liberator
the irregular at magic high school
the pet girl of sakurasou
horizon in the middle of nowhere
classroom crisis
high school fleet
shirobako
ranpo kitan game of laplace
the asterisk war
anne happy
norn9
erased
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Jul 13, 2016 11:39 AM

Sep 2009
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya

The power of lolis is fearsome.
Jul 13, 2016 11:40 AM

Jul 2015
Twgok : i didnt expect something good after the first 2 ep , but it turned fast to something great
is the only anime that surprise me
Jul 13, 2016 11:40 AM

Dec 2015
Soul Eater
I expected it to be complete garbage but it was actually pretty decent...I guess.
Still not great but far above the shockingly low expectations I had for it.
Jul 13, 2016 11:41 AM

Sep 2015
Monogatari series.!
When I stated watching it I was expecting a light comical ecchi anime... But boy! I never expected to enjoy that show as much as I did. That show became one of my favourite (probably because it was unexpected)
A really entertaining show, with it's peculiar and witty narration..
Ps:- it's not a show that everyone may like
Jul 13, 2016 11:42 AM

May 2015
Cowboy Bebop , no joke.
I knew it was good, I didn't think it was THAT good
Jul 13, 2016 11:46 AM

Jan 2016
Haikyuu
At first,I was like volleyball fuck this shit then it turned out to be one of my favourite anime.Same for Kuroko no basket even though Ballislife.
Jul 13, 2016 11:48 AM

Apr 2016
Death Parade to be honest, totally simple, but unique at the same time.
My latest Hajime no Ippo AMV:
Jul 13, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2015
Princess Tutu: expecting goo magical girl show but got epic fairy tail with references to many fairy tails I know.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2016 11:53 AM

Jul 2013
The Monogatari Series. I expected it to be an harem with wacky animation, but I never though I would find the setting, characters, animation, artstyle, OST, everything that good. One of the biggest good surprises I have ever found watching anime.

JoJo. I expected an average battle shounen and I didn't liked the artsyle at first, but once I started the first episodes, I loved everyhting about it. The flashy battles, the over the topness of the series, the characters, even I ended loving the manly artstyle, and things went even better as the series progressed. Another great surprise I found in this world.

Magi. I expected an Arabian version of Fairy Tail, but I ended greatly surprised of how good the setting, powers, politics were and how greatly the series portrays the grey morality of some characters. The characters are also very likeable and I love how colorful and well designed they are.

Akame ga Kill. I expected a mediocre version of Game of Thrones. I found Seryu instead. I regret nothing.

Mayoiga. I expected a badly made horror anime, but I found best comedy of 2016.
Jul 13, 2016 11:56 AM

Aug 2013
Off the top of my head:

ReLIFE
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Baby Steps - I remember seeing the poster and thinking it looked quite lame but I was so wrong.
Jul 13, 2016 11:57 AM
Sep 2015
daze3x said:
There are a ton

Gatchaman crowds
kill la kill
valvrave the liberator
the irregular at magic high school
the pet girl of sakurasou
horizon in the middle of nowhere
classroom crisis
high school fleet
shirobako
ranpo kitan game of laplace
the asterisk war
anne happy
norn9
erased

Agree with Kill la Kill. I actually dropped it at episode 6 and picked it up a couple of months later only to watch the whole thing in a day.
Jul 13, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2012
Basically every single anime I watch and think is over an 8.
My expectations when it comes to anime aren't very high.
Jul 13, 2016 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
Tari Tari.
You know, nobody would expect great things from such a show. Look at the synopsis, how normal.

Surprisingly, turned out to be one of my favorites. The interaction between the girls feels different from others I have watched. It actually shows how close they are. Many anime has "best friends" inside, but the interaction between them doesn't seem close in my eyes.
Jul 13, 2016 12:01 PM

Feb 2016
Bakemonogatari is probably the most pleasant surprise I have had so far.
Jul 13, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2015
1. Gintama [countless reasons i can go on and on]
2 .Non-non biyori series[ seriously didn't expected series to be this good i thought it was just another moe trash but boy oh boy i was so wrong]
Jul 13, 2016 12:03 PM

Oct 2014
Might as well reuse this since it's still relevant.
zombie_pegasus said:
Honestly, pretty much all of my favourites are like that.

Jul 13, 2016 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
I wasn't expecting much from JoJo and Phantom Blood didn't do much to tickle my fancy but Battle Tendency blew me away. Then again Stardust Crusaders was enjoyable but ultimately felt lacking, then Diamond is Unbreakable has quickly become one of my favorite anime.

I was recommended Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and didn't really know what to expect but I was completely blown away by everything from the storytelling to the characters to the music.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jul 13, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2014
Kuroshitsuji: I expected some typical but entertaining shounen, but it's way better than that. It's my favorite anime.
Parasyte: I expected less from the plot.
Subete ga F ni Naru/The Perfect Insider: I thought it was a weird anime that nobody will watch, something like Rampo Kitan, but I think it's so much better and it's underrated.
And animes I enjoyed far less than I expected...
One Punch Man: Everybody says it's so good but I didn't like it.
Blood-C: I love gore, but it has some unnecessary gory scenes and the worst ending I've watched.
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: Well... It started with an 8/10 but ended with a 6/10. This show had so much potential and I think they wasted it.
23 ♀ | ES/ENG

Jul 13, 2016 12:12 PM

Jan 2016
Beside the already named Shinsekai Yori i think that it's Lupin The Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna from the recent ones.

I was expecting a classic Lupin series but the art style and the more mature content literally blew me away. Also the director is a woman, she gave us the perfect and most sensual Fujiko. One of the few show with an ecchi tag that i enjoyed.

Aug 2012
Many but the one that come to my mind right now is Nana. I really wasn't expecting it to be that immersive!

Jan 2009
fma brotherhood since i wasn't a fan of the first one
steins;gate episode 1 was horrible but i had expectactions before seing it since i liked chaos;head
re:zero for obvious reasons
Jul 13, 2016 12:16 PM

Mar 2016
I never thought I'd like Kaleid as much as I do now.

Fucking anime converted me into a lolicon.

Code Geass too but I don't remember much of it.

Oh yeah don't forget Baka To Test.
Jul 13, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Completely unoriginal answer would have to be Madoka.

Also Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa was a show made up of things I hate that I loved only because of Shiragami

Jul 13, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2014
kamisama751 said:
Ghost in the Shell. I expected a simple science fiction action flick with some high budged visuals but the theme exploration blew me away.

Just hurry up and watch stand alone complex.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 13, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2014
ahoyanen said:
Bakemonogatari is probably the most pleasant surprise I have had so far.

I won the series for free on blu ray which was pretty sweet. Probably would have taken me a while to get into the show otherwise.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 13, 2016 12:44 PM

Apr 2016
Qans said:

Rainbow always surpasses people's expectations.
Jul 13, 2016 12:45 PM
Apr 2013
Gintama. Hilarious, but also has a good story which I wasn't really expecting, and interesting characters. I think one of the reasons it works so well is because it's not afraid to poke fun at itself.
Jul 13, 2016 12:48 PM

May 2015
It'll have to be Shoujo Kakumei Utena for me. I found it pretty generic and repetitive early on, but once I reached the end, WHOA!

And then there's Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo. An anime that starts off with a disastrous, immoral, and offensive introduction ends up becoming one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in my anime-watching life.
Jul 13, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2015
I thought Mnemosyne was just mindless splatter but oh boy, I was so wrong.
what
May 2016
There are many, usually since I agree with MAL scores I'm ver pleased when I end up liking something ranked lower

Attack On Titan(even though it's ranked high, I still thought that I'd be just a bunch of people getting eaten)
Seraph Of The End(it's pretty bad but it's entertaining)
Rokka No Yuusha
Danganronpa
Kyoukai No Kanata
Blood Lad
ERASED(I'm not the biggest fan of seinen)
Another
Soul Eater

May 2016
Berserk 2016- I knew the CG was gonna be bad, but not THAT bad.
Jul 13, 2016 12:50 PM

Jul 2016
Death Note. Until then I only watched typical Battle Shounen (which are fine of course if done well) and Death Note was so different.

Light was also a very refreshing protagonist, finally not a typical good guy. Also loved the whole idea of the Death Note. Still one of the best anime ever for me.

Jul 13, 2016 12:55 PM

Feb 2013
if you told me 9 years ago i would masturbate to cats dressed as bananas, i would have called you crazy
Jul 13, 2016 12:58 PM

Oct 2015
Basically every "cute girl" slice of life show I've enjoyed.

I was also one of those "moeshit is cancer/killing anime" people when I first got into anime, but then I watched Nichijou and saw the light.
Jul 13, 2016 1:07 PM

Apr 2014
1- FMA:B , i didnt get why this is number one, the pictures i seen of it didnt look great, the name of the anime itself sounded stupid.

2- Steins;Gate, wtf does this even mean "steins gate" ??

3- Shokugeki no soma, why would anyone like an anime about cooking food? sounds boring.

4- Re:Zero , was waiting on another decent RPG anime, this isnt an RPG anime at all.....

5- One Punch Man, a guy who beats everyone in 1 punch? thats so stupid though...
Jul 13, 2016 1:20 PM

Jul 2015
I usually guess without problems if i will like a show or not , but 2 shows clearly surpassed my expectations : White Album 2 and Paradise Kiss. The only shows that i gave a 10 . I know , a lot of people don't like them for reasons , but i loved them so much.And they are the only anime/manga/ln who made me actually cry.
Other than that there are series that i thought would be a 6-7s but turned out 7-8s but nothing spectacular.
Jul 13, 2016 1:20 PM

Apr 2015
Inferno Cop.
I expected a Trigger anime.
It was.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Jul 13, 2016 1:32 PM

May 2015
At a the beginning of Battle Tendency in JoJo, I thought that there probably wasn't going to be any moments as good as Jonathon vs Dio and episode 8. Battle Tendency far surpassed my initial thoughts though.

Gatchaman Crowds seemed like it was going to be a fun superhero show but it managed to go in a completely different direction and still remained good.

Shokugeki no Souma was about god damn foodgasms and cooking, I had no expectations for it, one of my favorites from last year and my current AOTS.

I dropped ConRevo mid episode 1, but I picked it up and found another favorite from 2015/2016

Ushio To Tora went from fun monster of the week shounen to my AOTY for 2016 and 3rd favorite of 2015.
-Rainy-Jul 13, 2016 1:36 PM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 13, 2016 1:37 PM

Sep 2013
Vaske1234 said:
Qans said:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I watched 3 or 4 episodes and had to drop it because of that one dimensional villain. Typical "I'm a bad guy, look at my psycho face muahaha".
Jul 13, 2016 1:39 PM

May 2016
Steins;Gate was better than i expected!
Jul 13, 2016 1:41 PM

Jun 2016
Wintovisky said:
Vaske1234 said:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I watched 3 or 4 episodes and had to drop it because of that one dimensional villain. Typical "I'm a bad guy, look at my psycho face muahaha".

and you forgot the main character morality I thought I was watching shounen instead of a seinen
Jul 13, 2016 1:49 PM

Apr 2016
Wintovisky said:
Vaske1234 said:

If you search about Rainbow you will find out that it is based on a true life story of the creator, so it is just extremely real. In such cases, there is no place for a multi dimensional villain or it's rare to find such at least (the exception may be Monster, which is a totally realistic story and you have Johann who is a really complex character).
Stories based on real life experiences are not that often seen in the anime, this is why people sometimes just don't know how to look at that. :)
Jul 13, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2016
LeWeebJames said:
Haikyuu
At first,I was like volleyball fuck this shit then it turned out to be one of my favourite anime.Same for Kuroko no basket even though Ballislife.

Same for me. I saw Kuroko no Basket first so I was expecting a similar rigidity in th characters and the plotline but really, I was blown away ( sort of ). The character emphasization specially is amazing.
Jul 13, 2016 1:58 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko.

At first I was expecting something like Squid Girl with an alien girl instead of a squid but then I got something that had an excellent blend of humor and hidden depths.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 41 minutes ago

6 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by animegamer245 »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.